User Reviews for Temazepam

Also known as: Restoril

Learn more about Temazepam.

Temazepam Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Temazepam to treat Insomnia

"I am really bad at sleeping, like I'm lucky if I sleep 3 hours a night. Doctor gave me 20mg temazepan x 2 tablets. Still wide awake."

Elviscaz October 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works at same dosage as it did when I first started taking it 30mg. No dependence noted. Benzos are only habit forming when NOT taken as prescribed."

hypen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was a long term opiate addiction, and even with this had horrible insomnia so would buy black market temazepam. I am 3 months clean but still have crippling anxiety and insomnia. This drug works wonders. Keeps my anxiety at bay and last night I slept for 9hours!!! Just scared they will try and change me to something else again. Works wonders"

Seraphina73 September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have used temazepam for over 5 years. Worked great for my sleeping aide as well as for my neuropathy. All of a sudden my doctor pulled it from my prescription list! Due to all this opioid media frenzy I am now stuck trying to find a replacement that will have the same effects for me as the temazepam! wish people would stop reacting and just take care of THE PROBLEM!!!!!!! Hope this all passes soon!"

frustrated veteran September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"works fine for me 15mg just before bedtime but I must stay up close to midnight before taking it otherwise I wake up around 3am... if I take it around 11:30 or so I usually sleep until 5-5:30 tops... nowhere near the 7-8 the pharmaceutical information claims.... sometimes have weird dreams but for the most part it has calmed my anxiety/stress attacks I remain more calmer under pressure and I'm sleeping more than 3 hrs due to the insomnia caused by the anxiety my only concern is the risk of physical /psychological addiction and tolerance level only been on a month doc gave me a 90 day script gunna go see her soon and touch base with her on these issues to see what other alternative there may be but for the most part its worked as needed"

SILV3R (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have found that not all generic versions of Restoril are as effective as others. My pharmacy normally fills my Rx with a generic labeled Mylan 4010, an orange capsule. It works perfectly for my insomnia. They filled my last Rx with one labeled R 076, which is a green and white capsule. I didn't sleep at all the first night I took them. The next night, I took the orange ones again and everything was as it should be. Last night I took the R 076 again and didn't sleep at all - again. I will speak with my pharmacy tomorrow - this change is NOT acceptable. I expect the R 076 are cheaper for them, which is unfair to me."

Shortie69 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking the 30 mg dose for about five years. It works great for me, no side effects and I take it about an hour before I go to bed. I've tried other prescription sleep medication and they either gave me headaches or wore off too soon and I would wake up. I highly recommend Temazapam for anybody wanting a good night sleep consistently."

toconnor126 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can honestly say that this particular drug got me to sleep within 30 minutes of taking it (took it at 941pm EST). By 1015 I was drowsy enough to go to sleep. However, it's 124am EST and I've been up for about 25 minutes already. Needless to say, it's my first night taking it but I figured it would work the same as the other drugs I've tried. I'm not sure what else to do as I sleep maybe 2 hours a night and have been since returning from the army."

Jks7739 (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restoril (temazepam): "First I tried Ambien, loved it! But after a week or so I started having a reaction of itching so they stopped it. Then on to Lunesta it gave me a headache every morning but it did make me sleep. They stopped it. Then on to Temazapam 30 mg. It works within 1-2 hours. I sleep good for 6-8 hrs. Usually, sometimes I still will have trouble falling asleep or waking in the night but it's not every night so it's an improvement!"

Sleepless in Arkansas (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolutely did not work for me. I tried it in lieu of Dalmane & a combo of Dalmane (30 mg), Gabapentin (600 mg) & 15 mg Remeron (VERY careful re: Weight Gain Side Effect, gained 20 lbs in short order), dramatically increases your appetite for Carbs & Sugars & overall appetite (what they don't tell you is that they give this to patients in the hospital who won't eat to increase their appetite)"

ehmwww (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with temazepam is HORRIBLY ineffective, like ambien and other sorts of medications. I've taken Clonazepam for years for anxiety disorder but suffer from insomnia. My doctor has literally lied to me saying she doesn't know anything about DORAL (quazepam) which I tried once and besides DORIDEN and older medication for sleep is not made anymore...but DORAL allowed me a beautiful sleep for 12 hours. Nothing but that has ever broken through the CLONOPIN wall is seem to have. It's disheartening and it seems my doctor about several issues just doesn't take it seriously."

Gazzabecks (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't understand how everyone gets this medication I haven't slept a good night in years and still doctor won't prescribe these to me ?"

Can't sleep May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for about a week before I stopped it. It was completely useless. Did not help put me to sleep at all. I took it at around 9pm and didn't go to sleep until around 5am. I have always had sleep issues but I do not recommend this medication to no one."

TyTY352 (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this twice about 5 days apart. The first time I was awake all night. The second time I was awake but also thought I could jump out of my skin. It would be like restless leg (which I don't have) except it's your whole body. Scary drug ! Called my Doctor & told them to put it on my chart as allergy."

1Cate (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 30mg and get 4-5 hours of sleep. I find it puts me to sleep within the hour (usually 30 minutes). I sleep through the night taking it this way. Don't notice any side effects either. It seems to help with my anxiety too. It's not Xanax but it helps."

justmelilb April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restoril (temazepam): "I took this medicine for the first time last night I had been using Seroquel but I had so many side effects that I had to stop using it. Although it was the first night I used it I could only sleep for two hours at a time after waking up several times I am finally wide-awake at 3:20 in the morning I ended up taking klonapin because I have a very busy day at work and I need my sleep I was on 15 mg of restoril. I will call my doctor this morning and see if she determines I need a higher dose"

Risam (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have narcolepsy, so I have periods where I sleep for days without being able to wake up and periods of severe insomnia. I've used various meds for the insomnia, most don't work or stop working in 3-4 months. I've been taking 30mg temazepam for a year and it is just starting to be less effective. It kicks in quickly. I will wake up to go to the bathroom after about 4-5 hours (sleeping that long at once is VERY unusual for me!), but can get back to sleep easily. It also doesn't leave me dopey, make me talk in my sleep or give me funky dreams. The Dr will cycle me to something else soon, but I really hope to come back to temazepam because it is by far the best I've used."

Nyssareen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Insomnia for years. Prescibed temazepam out of desperation. Told to start at 7.5 mg first week. Then take 15mg second if wasn't affective first week. Told that it night take up to a week for it to work. Took 7.5 first night. Got 2 hrs sleep and during work, later that day felt weird. I already was going crazy from lack of sleep. Could not take another chance feeling that way at work from temazepam. I was given trazodone 8 month's earlier 50mg from doctor; I never used it. Was afraid I'd be groggy. Did some research online, decided , out of desperation to try 50mg trazodone, with 7.5 temazepam, finally got some sleep, not 8 hrs but enough. I doubt this is recommended,I probably shouldn't take it together. Anyway taking combo 1, 2x a week. Don't want to become physically addicted. At least I get a few days of sleep. "

Yello April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I developed chronic insomnia after a stressful life experience in 2006. I asked my general practitioner to prescribe Temazapam (Normisom) on the advice of a friend who had used it, and it is a godsend! I took it every night for 5 years, and found it non addictive, worked consistently, and I did not experience any side effects except for a little drowsiness next day sometimes. I was able to give up taking it every night when my stress levels and sleep improved, but recently I have had to start using it regularly again (I take half a tablet) every night; I just wish 1 tablet would deliver a solid 8 hours sleep instead of 5-6. My only concern is that I have heard (anecdotally) that it may contribute to dementia in some people."

SandyKatz (taken for 10 years or more) March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had basically not slept for like 5 years. I'd been prescribed numerous meds that didn't work. Finally, my psychiatrist prescribed Restperil and it has worked wonders. I finally have my life back and can function during the day. I only wish I'd found it sooner. The 30mg works wonderful for me. I feel great in the mornings and I don't feel drugged out. I haven't noticed any side effects whatsoever."

Anonymous February 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking temazpam for 7 years I take 40 to 60mg a day I want to stop taking them but I'm scared of the side affects"

Tanyatee16 February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restoril (temazepam): "Started taking Temazepam when my parents were sick. I have had chronic insomnia for 20 years before resorting to asking the doctor for some help, as I was taking extremely high doses of Gravol/Dramamine and was lucky to fall asleep at 5 am only to have to get up at 6 am. Started with some blue pill that left a horrible aftertaste, then Ativan but that didn't work. Finally started with Temazepam at night. Take it a couple hours before bed, and then fall asleep almost as soon as my head hits the pillow. I will never come off this drug, I couldn't possibly return to crippling insomnia."

ducky69 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Restoril (temazepam): "Worked for me and I can NEVER sleep. Only downfall is it takes so long to kick in. Woke up 7 hours later feeling fine."

Sleepless in MI83 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very effective.6-8 hours uninterrupted sleep"

Insomniac 1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Totally ineffective. Only giving it a 2 because of the lack of side effects, otherwise i'd give it a 1."

Spazoman January 6, 2017