User Reviews for Temazepam to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Restoril

Temazepam Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 96 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Temazepam

"With temazepam I had two weeks no help!! Have slept 3 hours past three days"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2019

Restoril (temazepam): "Although I try to avoid sleep medication, Restoril works fabulous as my "last resort" when I've been tossing and turning for hours and sleep will not come. Thankfully it's not often, usually Midnite Melatonin is my first choice if I'm not tired, If I take it and it doesn’t work then I go to the restaurant. Works every time even if I have anxiety about not sleeping."

Jstarra May 6, 2019

"Beware of the manufacturer of the generic you get. So many coming now from other countries now and it is a big difference. Walgreen's is switching me back to another manufacturer called ASCEND. That's all they can get now . I had it for 2 months. The 15mg wore off in less than 2 hrs. Took another dose and the horrible nightmares were off the charts. I dreaded going to sleep. For 2 months Walgreen's could switch me out to a manufacturer from NJ (USA) , but today was informed I have to accept the other brand. I'm furious that we have to put inferior generic meds in our system and tolerate terrible side effects."

St Pete (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2019

"I have been put on everything the last 10 years to help me sleep finally with temazepam 30 mg in evening it works and I am able to get restorative sleep about four hours. max . No panic attacks, it helps with the tingling hands too . I wake up and feel rested. Without it I get zero sleep and I can stay up for days. No groggy effects for me like valium or clonazepm"

sleepless (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2019

"Took for the first time last night...as soon as I started feeling the effects, I developed a terrible headache at the the base of my skull. Took some Advil and finally went to sleep. Had lucid dreams and woke up every two hours. I feel terrible today. Not a drug for me"

TW (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2019

"10/10. I was reluctant to take this as I assumed it would make me sort of loopy like Valium does. Additionally, I have never had a sleeping pill work for me. Some would knock me out, but I would sleep 14 hours. Some would be great, but only for one night. The first time I took Restoril, it was 15mg. I was still awake 2 hours later, so angry it didn't work for me. The next night I took 30mg. It was amazing. I didn't feel loopy. This was a new experience for me. It was like my brain just slowed down. I didn't want to stay up. I just wanted to sleep. It was amazing sleep. I really love this drug."

Angelica in Colorado (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2019

"I been taking this for 5 years it works for me if I don’t take it I am up all night. I tried z quill worked a little was up a lot. Did not feel good next day because didn’t get enough sleep. Wanted to get off this med but not sleeping is worse then taking it so going back on it again after not taking it for 3 days. I did try - nothing works. Feel refreshed in the morning and I can get on with my life."

Tré March 13, 2019

Restoril (temazepam): "Restoril is the best sleep med I've ever taken. Going into my third year. Just because this med didn't work for one person, doesn't mean anything. We all react differently to different drugs. As for Temazepam? For me? I love it."

amanita (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 13, 2019

"It worked at first but tolerance builded fast. I took 15mg it gave 6hrs at first but in the middle of the second month it only gave me 3hrs. So I would take 2 pills. (Not at same time) I'd take one pill then sleep 3hrs. Wake like clockwork at 4am, Then pop another pill and sleep for 3 hours. But I'm in the third month and they have only been giving out 1.5 hr per pill now. That means its just not working or worth taking anymore. I have to wean myself off, find something else. I don't have depression but I might try trazadone. I hear it might help. I haven't tried ambien yet."

Tasha (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2019

"Took 15 mg at 11pm when I was out of Ambien. It's 3am and no sleep in sight. Lots of sweating which I never experience. Definitely disappointed. Took 2 melatonin as well. Wide awake."

Shan (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2019

"I have tried Temazepam twice, on two nights, about a fortnight apart, to help with insomnia. It helped me get to sleep, but on the day after both doses I became very upset and distressed after a minor problem occurred. I was shaking, crying, and feeling very agitated – totally out of proportion reaction to the incident that upset me. Today I ended up shouting at a family member who asked me what was wrong and was trying to give me a hug. I could not understand why I was overreacting until I remembered that I had had the same experience the first time I tried this medicine. I now see that reactions of "restlessness, aggression, violence, overstimulation and agitation" are listed as rare side effects (0.5%). Thank goodness I wasn't at work on either day. If you find yourself feeling uncharacteristically upset the day after taking temazepam, then consider that it could be the cause."

okelydokely February 14, 2019

"I have been on Temazepam for over 15 years. I have tried to stop taking it - just to be safe - but I lie away for 4 days and go back to taking it. For me, like others, this is the only drug that works for me. I am tiny but need the 30 mg dose to sleep and I don't sleep that well. I think it also matters who manufactures it. My insurance company just sent me a new Rx but from a different manufacturer so we shall see how it goes. I also feel badly for people who can't sleep - its terrible."

BK (taken for 10 years or more) February 11, 2019

"Great. Used it for 30 years. 30 mg and sleep fine for 7 hours."

Beagle February 10, 2019

"Temazepam has been my saviour. I have PTSD and the act of falling asleep is a massive trigger for horrific flashbacks. So it's a vicious cycle that lasts all night. 20mg of temazepam breaks that cycle. It makes me fall asleep very quickly and that seems to bypass the trauma centre in my brain. I can get about 5 or 6 hrs of good sleep. Lately I've used it with prazosin and seroquel and get 6 or 7 hours. Advice for anyone starting Temazepam. It's very strong so if you react strongly to sedatives you'll likely have drowsiness and memory issues. This passes though as your body gets used to it. It gives me serious munchies too. As far as addiction goes I've got on and off it fairly regularly with no problems. (Lexapro withdrawal was a horror show). Good luck to anyone thinking of using Temazepam. I feel your anguish, insomnia is a cruel affliction."

Gorugeen (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2019

"10 nights ago I was the victim of a home invasion which resulted in blunt force trauma to my head, amongst other injuries. I have not slept since. I was prescribed Temazapam 10 mg from night seven. One tablet did nothing. Next night, two tablets, no help. Night nine, I took a bigger dose with no relief. Tonight I was given one Valium 5 mg and I am still staring at my ceiling. Why can't I just sleep?"

Hubert B Gherkin (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2019

"I must be quite sensitive to this drug. I took less than half of a 10mg dose (tried to halve the pill, which broke unevenly, so I took the smaller section). Although I did get to sleep and slept through the night, it was hard to get up in the morning and I felt dopey all day. It was as though I had not woken up fully. Now it is 11pm, 24 hours since I took the (very small) dose, and it still hasn't worn off completely. I will see my doctor and ask to try something else."

rightsaidfred (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2019

Restoril (temazepam): "Ok I have been taking Restoril for 30 years, never bothered me at all have no bad reaction at all."

Hund January 29, 2019

Restoril (temazepam): "Excellent med!!! I'm a 7 year breast cancer survivor, and have been dealing with insomnia off and on, but lately, insomnia is terrible. I called my doctor, who called in Restoril. I have only taken for first time last night and FINALLY, I get wonderful sleep!!!!!!!!!!! A full 8 hours!!! I did not feel drugged upon awakening, and I feel very rested! The type of job I have, I need to use the "brain" and its functioning on a full 8 hours of sleep instead of 4!!!! No complaints at this point!!!"

Caramel60 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2019

"I've taken this drug for 16 years and don't know what life would be like without it..well actually I do know and it's not pretty! Like others, waking up every two hours was my life. With Temazepam, I sleep consistently 6 plus hours on a regular basis. My dosage is 30 mg and I've never had to increase the dosage. My insurance does cover it but they have been getting stricter and stricter each year on the refill times so people are probably abusing it. The good thing is that without insurance it's a low cost drug."

Texgal (taken for 10 years or more) January 22, 2019

Restoril (temazepam): "Restoril has been a Godsend for me. I have suffered insomnia since age 13 and increased dramatically from physical and emotional abuse from my ex-husband. I am so thankful this medicine exists, because believe me, it has been a godsend to me. Yes, it has its side backs and risks of dependency. But what is better? No sleep and extreme anxiety for days on end, or being able to actually function? I will take the latter. I wish you all, who are suffering similar situations, the very best and we all support you in your decisions."

DLJ_45 December 21, 2018

Restoril (temazepam): "I had been on ambien for about 3 weeks, and I was still waking up every two hours. I’d fall asleep quickly but still need naps during the day from being so exhausted. My doctor switched me to Restoril 15 mg and this is my first night taking it. I’ve been up every two hours on the dot (12:24, 2:24, 4:24) since going to bed at 10, and each time I’m woken up by a horrendous nightmare about murder and death then I’m awake for 30 min to an hour afterwards. So basically I’ve gotten 4 hours of stressful sleep and had terrible dreams with it and I’m wide awake at 5 AM for no reason. If my doc says to up the dose I will try it, but even though the ambien didn’t keep me asleep the sleep was still more refreshing than Restoril."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2018

"Temazepam worked for a few days but I seemed to develop a tolerence very quickly and when I took a break from it I had insomnia worse then before. I went back to my doctor and he suggested Doral, a similar drug that I guess had a head to head trial with Temzepam and Doral was way more efficacious without the rebound insomnia that's common in other sleep drugs. I've been taking Doral when needed for my acute insomnia and it's a guaranteed 7-8 hours of what feels like natural sleep. I'm 3 weeks into intermittent use, maybe 7 pills used total, and no side effects."

New guy (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2018

"After taking, I can fall asleep, but not quickly. I can stay SOUND asleep all night. But don’t feel rested or ever like a natural, deep sleep, naturally. On occasion, for no consistent reason, will still stay awake."

Sleepyjuice (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 27, 2018

"I have suffered from situational depression about five times in my life. This past month I again tripped into depression getting about 2 hours of sleep with Ambien. Learned to cut the Ambien in half I could get another two hours, but laid awake hour after hour til dawn. Was also taking 100 to 150 mg of Zoloft ( which takes about two weeks to have any effect on me.) Lost 15 pounds and looked like the walking dead for almost a month. Asked my doctor if I could switch from Ambien to Tramazepam after reading about it. Took 15 mg last night and slept until 2am. Then drifted off to sleep until 5am... it was the best nights sleep I have had in a month. I have so much empathy for people who have insomnia ... it is the worse. Just keep trying different meds to find what works . I can tell you Ambien knocks you out fast, but with a half life of 1.5 hours it only works for a couple hours max. Tramazepam has a much longer half life. Hang in there!"

Ranger October 25, 2018

"I had a very stressful experience at work which lasted more than a year. During that time I was prescribed sleeping tablets and anti-anxiety medication. The stress has finished, but has caused conditioned anxiety about sleeping and I ended up only getting 2-4 hours a night and sometimes none at all. I tried cognitive behaviour therapy but it nearly drove me mad. My doctor prescribed 10mg temazepam and it works perfectly. I take it at 10pm and I now get 6-7 hours sleep a night. The only side effect is a dry mouth. In addition, I avoid caffeine after lunch, exercise for at least 1.5 hours a day and try and keep my life as simple and stress-free as possible (not easy with my job). I am a bit concerned about the long term effects but at the moment it is a life-saver."

Life back (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2018