User Reviews for Bactrim DS to treat Acne

Bactrim DS has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 29 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 55% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Bactrim DS Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 327 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Bactrim DS

LindaB · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2020

“My 16 year old daughter died of heart failure from DRESS (drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms) due to Bactrim DS. Bactrim is one of the leading drugs to cause DRESS Syndrome. The risk versus benefit is too high to use this wide spectrum antibiotic for acne. There are safer alternatives. Please be cautious. www.dresssyndrome.org.”

Anonymous June 3, 2008

“I've been using this product for a little over a week now and already my skin is clearing up! I've dealt with acne and post-acne scarring for about 3 years now. I am 16 and I'm so glad i found something thats working! I used it along with finacea (azelaic acid) and my skin just keeps improving!”

Anonymous July 22, 2016

“As far as acne treatments go that are effective AND affordable Bactrim is a God send. Late 20's I started mildly breaking out. By age 30 I was getting deep painful cystic pimples. Running/ exercising especially made my condition worse. Bactrim DS improves acne within 24 hours.The redness and swelling is not near as noticeable. After about a week you will notice a close to clear complexion that almost glows...I had moderate acne, but I imagine that Bactrim will work for ppl who have severe acne as well. It does have serious internal esp on kidneys and liver bc it is a sulfa drug so you should drink a lot of water every day with this medicince. Do not drink alcohol while taking Bactrim, good luck!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2020

“I've been taking Bactrim for about 2 months now, and my acne is no better or worse than before I started. I haven't experienced any negative side effects, but that doesn't really matter when I haven't experienced any effects at all.”

Mandyc1994 · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2012

“I have been taking this medicine for a week and my pimples are significantly smaller, which is a plus because I've had severe acne for 3 years now. The only problem is that it gives me insomnia, sweats, headaches in the mornings, stomach sickness, and nausea. The side effects are brutal, and I'm considering finding another solution. This is the third acne medicine I've tried and has helped the most, but also affected me the most negatively.”

missjess90 September 30, 2014

“I am 24 years old and have struggled with hormonal acne for the past year. I turned into a hermit. I tried a few things with my GP- changed my pill to Estelle- waited 3 months but nothing changed, it only worsened, tried many many many face washes, was prescribed Eryacne and doxycycline, which helped for a short period of time until it came back. I had had enough and decided to get a referral to a dermatologist- I wish I had done this sooner! He gave me Bactrim, which I was to take twice a day for 2 months as well as Epiduo gel. This combination was my saviour! I am now down to 1 tablet a day for another 2 months using Epiduo every second night. This is amazing and cleared up my acne but it does make you VERY sensitive to the sun.”

LnnVo · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 30, 2014

“I had mild to severe back acne with constant breakouts on my chest and face. My dermotologist prescribed me this specifically for my back acne but thank goodness it cleared up my face and chest! Before on a scale of 1-10 my face and chest were around a 7 but after being on the medication it's now a 1. My face/chest is now flawless and my back is now only left with scars. My back acne was extremely terrible but after using the medication for a few months, it stopped the breakouts and gave time for my skin to heal. I've used this medication for a little over one year now and I do admit you have to be patient with the medicine. As long as you don't pick and touch your problem spots then it should work nicely. I experienced nausea every morning when I take the medication and a loss in appetite but it's not that bad.”

FiveFam · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 16, 2019

“I took Bactrim for three years straight in my early twenties. I’ve physically never felt better than then. I don’t know if it was also treating other unknown conditions but it was amazing for me. My skin specifically was clear, smooth, all redness went away. Zero known side effects.”

B.A June 8, 2016

“Dermatologist put me on Bactrim DS, to be taken twice a day with food. No side effects in the first few days and did a good job at clearing up my face. Currently I am on the 9th day and experiencing severe side effects. Fever, chills, extreme joint pain, muscle weakness and overall sluggishness. Also experiencing difficulty breathing, a tight chest, headache, and dizziness to the point of almost falling over, for no reason. The most severe of the side effects is the joint paint. Can hardly take a step on my right leg and cannot lift anything with my right arm. Bactrim does it's job however at the expense of your health. Please do your research before starting this drug!”

gingslo October 7, 2015

“Ok so I have delt with acne my entire life even in my 30s. I was given this med for another issue and I noticed my skin is clearing up. I have been reading some of the reviews and not to be judgmental but I am shocked at how many people are using this med for 6 plus months. Transplant patients it's a must(my mother is one) but to use this long term is not my cup of tea. With bacteria becoming more and more immune to everyday meds what will they do when they have a severe infection like staph and it no longer works. Hospital bound on vanco, I know from experience. Trust me my acne is horrible and I truly understand the heartbreak but risking immunity from an antibiotic is not worth to me. Think long term. Just my opinion, God bless!”

Vin202020 June 21, 2015

“Having acne for most of your teenage years into your early 20s is not fun. Being a 21 year old who went through Doxycycline and Minocycline, I thought I exhausted all of my options. I saw a few dermatologists who pushed Accutane down my throat. I said no. I went to my family doctor and I've been on Bactrim DS for over 6 months now and it is the best thing that has cleared up my acne. So powerful. I would highly recommend this medication.”

Ric · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 19, 2019

“My dermatologist tried 3 other drugs for me for my acne. This one Bactrim was by far the best. After one month my acne look even worse. However I called my doc and he stated that is normal. And after 3 other medicines, I thought why not keep going. Well after about another month and a half I was clear skin. Just taking daily I get maybe one or two zits per month. I used to have cystic acne and have a lot of scaring unfortunately. I wish I could have found out about this drug sooner. At least give it a try, I mean, what do you have to lose? My doc tried to tell me to stop, so I did for 3 months. My acne returned very bad, however this time right after one week of getting back on it I was totally cured again. I am 25 years old and have been using this since I was 19. Eventually I may be able to stop taking it but I don’t mind the 12 dollars a month for so much more confidence!”

sushi2701 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2017

“I was put on Bactrim DS twice a day for about 6 weeks. This was after being on doxycycline for about 4 months with disappointing results. My acne was cystic and mainly distributed across my back, neck, shoulders, and chest. This outbreak of acne started some time after I stopped hormonal oral BC and switched to Paragard. It also coincided with the start of treatment with lithium for bipolar disorder. The latter can exacerbate acne in those that are susceptible. Despite quitting it, the disaster continued. My derm put me on Bactrim DS twice a day for 6 weeks and to my amazement - this finally did the trick. My skin completely cleared! Highly recommended. No side effects but I took a probiotic with it. My skin has stayed mostly clear since.”

Dia28 January 26, 2011

“I've been using Bactrim DS for the past 2 months now, and it has definitely cleared up my skin. I plan on using it for another 4 months, and then switching to another antibiotics if need be so I don't build immunity to it.”

Raccoonmath · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2019

“I have a weird form of cystic hormonal acne, it does't show up all over my face but when I get spots they are bigger than a quarter and deep. Only go away with multiple cortisone shots or lancing. They look more like boils. Anyway my doctor decided to try something new last time I got one of these. I had previously had a bad reaction to bactrim a decade ago but was on immunosuppressants at the time (I have Crohns) so we weren't sure if it was truly the bactrim. Well after taking 1/2 dose for only 4 days my skin was perfect, but I had landed in the hospital with low platelets, low hematocrit, brown urine and feeling pretty close to death. Scary, scary drug. Thanks bactrim!”

Anonymous July 29, 2020

“I was prescribed Bactrim By my dermatologist for my acne and I must say it was the worst experience. At first I ignored the side effects but I initially experienced loss of appetite, night sweats, shivers, and had trouble falling asleep. After one week of taking it I experienced joint and muscle pain, which is ultimately the reason I stopped taking it. Such horrible side effects”

Solferino · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 19, 2015

“This works wonders for my skin! My dermatologist recommended it after I cycled through a few other medications and topicals to no avail (never did accutane, though). I've been frustrated with my skin for years and although birth control definitely helped, I was still breaking out on a fairly regular basis. Once I started this medication the results were almost immediate. Within a week my skin was looking smooth and much less spotty. I very rarely get pimples while on this stuff, although blackheads are still a minor issue. Nothing a little makeup can't fix. So happy that this works so well for me!”

DJ234 October 19, 2015

“Have had severe acne for a long time and worked very well to clear up acne entirely with a few months. Unfortunately as soon as I go off of it, the acne slowly comes back. Still works amazing while on it though.”

Natashia April 3, 2018

“I am 36 and I was given tetracycline a couple years ago, made me nauseous but only for a hour or so then I’d be back to my normal self. Tetracycline worked wonders for my skin but unfortunately I became resistant to it a few months ago, I also tried minocycline which was ineffective. I’ve been having a really bad breakout since discontinuing the tetracycline. Recently went on Bactrim been on this for about 3 days and wow let me tell you I feel real shitty, the body aches are painful , the nausea really comes and goes all throughout the day, no rash which is a good sign but if this feeling doesn’t simmer down I won’t be able to continue this:( doesn’t look like there is any real solution for acne out there, my self esteem is so low and I feel helpless. So scared to try accutane due to the hair loss reviews ... that terrifies me. I can tell how horrible I feel from the Bactrim that I won’t last on this for much longer!”

Anonymous November 23, 2016

“I have had acne for about 4 years now and I started bactrim about 2 years ago when I first started my skin looked amazing I was almost cleared up in a month. after about a year of being on it and my skin was doing well we went down to half a pill. about 6 months pasted and my skin started to break out again so we went back to a whole pill. my acne started to spread all over my chest, back and shoulders he decided that we would start 2 pills a day. I recently just went back and my skin was not doing well and I'm about to start accutane. I 100% believe I formed a resistance to the drug after being on it for so long. bactrim works amazing for short periods of time but in the long run it was not successful.”

Hartmaa · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2014

“Works quite well for me. I have been on every med ever and even Accutane 3 times with no success. I have severe acne and simultaneous all over skin infection. 2 things- dairy if any kind sets it off and it's so much worse. Avoid dairy like the plague. 2- depends on how you skin is infected.my skin gets affected very often with Staph and so Bactrim and Keflex work really well. For people with p. Aches bacteria - erthromycin is awesome. But the sad fact is that over time it won't work as bacteria becomes resistant. I am seeing endocrinologist to find out what foods I am eating that seem to cause my body to make excess hormones and attack my skin. Best of luck all! Don't know what I'll do once I'm off Bactrim. I feel great and zero side effect”

Anonymous June 5, 2011

“I have used this for about 3 wks now and I have more pimples now then when I started. The only thing I have noticed is that pimples are not as large when I am on this. I am going to keep at it for a few more weeks to see what happens. I have had this same response on other antibiotics”

Liv · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 30, 2021

“I started taking this medicine about 3 months ago once a day. I’ve always taken it after food and with a full cup of water. It started to make me nauseous until I got so sick I was puking and on the toilet for two days (I haven’t ever been so sick for so long). My stomach is still messed up and I haven’t taken it for about of week. And it didn’t get rid of my acne.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2020

“I’m about a month into taking this medicine Bactrim and it is working for my face, the redness and going away and the pimples that do form are smaller and less severe. The downside is I am having horrible side effects like nausea and diarrhea, and am being taken off the drug immediately. If you are experiencing side effects call your doctor. This drug is brutal and if you don’t drink enough water constantly, it will get the best of you. Don’t recommend this..beneficial or not health comes first.”

mustang500 June 23, 2014

“I had a liver transplant and was prescribed this medication as an ongoing treatment to combat bacterial infections that may occur due to being on immunosuppressants. I stopped taking it after one year but then experienced significant acne on my head and chest. I will resume this medication as obviously it has helped.”

Learn more about Acne