User Reviews for Rosuvastatin to treat High Cholesterol

Also known as: Crestor, Ezallor

Rosuvastatin has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 139 ratings for the treatment of High Cholesterol. 37% of those users who reviewed Rosuvastatin reported a positive effect, while 40% reported a negative effect.

Rosuvastatin Rating Summary

5.3/10 average rating

Compare all 291 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Rosuvastatin

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2021

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “I've been on 10mg of Crestor for 4 months. The past two months I've noticed hair loss, I am no going to take them anymore. I was put on Lipitor first and that gave me sore leg muscles. I am going to try home remedies and stay away from ice cream and cake.”

toby · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 24, 2020

“Been on Crestor for 2 or 3 months noticed belching, lump in my throat, weight gain and slight headache has anyone had these side effects”

SickandTired December 20, 2020

“I'm 55 years old and always enjoyed doing exercise and staying in shape. Before seeing a doctor, I felt youthful, energetic, and symptom free. My doctor prescribed rosuvastatin. What a mistake! Worst of all, pain in my shoulders was so severe that I could not sleep. I have been off the medication for 12 weeks now and the shoulder pain still exists. I have been unable to do any shoulder exercise for 16 weeks which really makes me angry. Last year, I was swimming 80 to 100 laps per day. Now, I can't move my arms above my head. While on the medication, my body became very stiff. I walked like an 80 year old man. I noticed my memory was failing when I had trouble recalling people's names. Fortunately, these symptoms reversed after I discontinued the medication. Now, only the shoulders are a problem. There is no treatment for statin-induced muscle pain. In other words, there is no "safety net" when a problem occurs. I fired my primary care doctor. I just want my life back!”

True20 August 30, 2019

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “DELAYED side effects. Took years to realize statins (incl crestor) give me MEMORY LOSE BIG TIME and muscle pain and mood issues. And now I'm discovering risk from high LDL is massively exaggerated. Having sufficient HDL and low triglycerides are what matter. IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE LOSING MEMORY ASK THEM TO THINK BACK IF IT STARTED GETTING WORSE WITHIN A YEAR OF STARTING STATINS. Why? Because someone once did that for me. ”

Joe May 28, 2020

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “I have been on 40mg Rosuvastatin with 10mg ezetimibe since December 4 2019. This medication has its morning aftermath of not feeling yourself, and some days it lasts all day. Does anyone else have these symptoms with this medication??”

Mo · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 22, 2019

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “After being on Crestor it initially brought down my levels significantly within a month but after 3 months I began to feel somewhat depressed, joint aches, unmotivated, fatigue and overall muscle weakness. Grabbing a case of water at the market was beginning to make me feel like an old lady. I stopped taking the medication and within a week I started to feel better. I can tell my overall health was compromised. I would not take this again.”

On The Couch · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 4, 2020

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “My P.A. insisted I take this drug because of high cholesterol, despite my having taken a different statin drug at an earlier time and have had to give it up due to muscle pain. I took Rosuvastatin for years. The P.A.'s advice was to start drinking coffee to give me more energy. That only made me hyper. A friend looked up the side effects of all my meds and told me to stop taking Rosuvastatin which I did. Low and behold, I can now get off the couch, get up on time, and feel like a whole different person. If I die from high cholesterol at least I will have been alive again before dying.”

Pikester April 5, 2016

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “I'm 45 years old and have always felt like I was in good health. Non-smoker and have never had a weight problem. However, blood tests from the last few years have revealed that I have a problem with high cholesterol and triglycerides. Eight weeks ago, when my triglyceride number was a shocking 583 and LDL over 200, my doctor insisted that I needed some help to bring these numbers into a healthy range. Reluctantly, I agreed. I was prescribed 20mg of Crestor daily at bedtime. It scared me to death to read reviews on Crestor and statin drugs in general and I almost didn't even give it a chance but also committed to making some changes in lifestyle. For example, I started skipping most of the sweet, fatty foods and actually paying attention to serving sizes and TRYING to stick closer to recommended allowances. I have also been going on brisk, half-hour walks at least 5 days a week. Nothing tremendously difficult but something that has required consistency. After eight weeks of using Crestor and living a little differently, I am happy to report that my Triglycerides are now down to a mere 67 and my LDL level is down to 57. I’ve also lost 15lbs and I wasn’t overweight to begin with. I expected the numbers to show improvement but I was shocked to see them this good! What's more is that I have not noticed any of the negative side effects mentioned by so many. Trust me, I was looking out for those for any excuse to stop taking it. I will mention a positive side effect I was not expecting. I've been burdened with IBS (irritable Bowel Syndrome) for many years. I've just lived with it and been careful about how long I might be away from a bathroom. Interestingly enough, since I have been on Crestor, I have been much more regular and, well, solid. Maybe that is TMI but I have appreciated the change. People seem to be more motivated to write a review about anything if they are displeased. I'm taking a different approach, my experience with Crestor, so far, has been very good and I am very excited about the results.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 12, 2019

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “My doctor switched me to Crestor because, he said, it is stronger, and he is a real cholesterol hound. No blood tests. Six months later I needed a new hip and failed the pre op medical with bad kidney numbers - the surgeon said come back with good kidneys. A GP suggested I stop the rosuvastatin and in 10 days, I was within limits. Everyone was amazed at the huge improvement. As I'm 82, I'll just skip the statin.”

Oak345 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2020

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “Never been on a statin, early 50's, fit / active, recently prescribed Crestor 20mg once a day. Within 2-3 months my muscles and joints became very sore. Think of how you feel the day after a hard workout, now I was feeling like that every day but never doing a hard workout. This was miserable. We to my doctor and she suggest to stop it for 2 weeks and see if I feel better. Day 3, I already feel 80% better. I'm sure this works for some but sadly not for me.”

Batty1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2020

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “I lost my thyroid to cancer and have been experiencing extremely high cholesterol ever since, yes low thyroid hormones can increase your cholesterol levels. I started Crestor (5mg) lowest dose I could go on and I have experienced just about every bad reaction you could possibly get. At first it did not register in my head that my INCREASE in muscle pains, Ankle pains, pin point bleeding on lower legs and memory issues along with crazy breathlessness could be related to the Crestor, until I forgot to take it and ALL of my pains disappeared I still didn’t connect the dots until I took the Crestor again and again I got these crippling pains again I stopped the pill and pains disappeared .... I did this several times and each time same results. Overall this drug reduced my cholesterol levels but not significantly since my dose was so low... The crippling pain was hardly worth it!”

aldru · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2019

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “I was prescribed Crestor 10mg as my cholesterol was high even though my blood pressure was normal. I experienced mild muscle and joint pain during the first 3 months. As it affected my liver function as shown in blood test result, my GP advised me to lower the dose to 5mg. To save costs, I purchased 10mg generic brand and took it every other day. After 2 months, I noticed I had dark urine and quite severe upper arm/shoulder pain. After stopping the medication, my urine reverted to normal colour, however I am still having arm/shoulder pain after 3 months. Not sure if the pain will go away or will be permanent! I would never take Crestor or any statin again.”

Pc · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2020

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “Was on simvastin for two years . Had Anginia and two stents put in. It has now been 5 months on Crestor 20mg and brillinta. Went to cardio rehab for 12 weeks. During cardio rehab I noticed how sore my hips we’re getting even hours later off the tread mill. The joint aches and muscle pain is all over my body. Cardio doctor thinks it’s brillinta and Crestor interaction but all the other doctors say it’s probably Crestor. I can’t sleep at night and when I get up I’m so stiff and sore all over. So I’m going to back off the Crestor and hope I can recover”

Chris · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “My husband was given Crestor after a heart attack, within four weeks, he became seriously ill, will nausea, no appetite, pain in upper abdominal, headaches and muscle pain. Within three days of its removal he was fine with none of the above symptoms. I will be watching his meds in future.”

Jack · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 1, 2020

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “Hi, been on Crestor for about a year. Cholesterol about 260 and I’m 55 years old but all my life I’ve been fit and lean and my cholesterol has always been around 220 since I’m 18 years old! My good cholesterol (HDL) is on the high side but of course the bad one (LDL) seems to be creeping keeping up! My issue is my elbows started hurting with pain pricks and sharp pain knife feeling so I went to the doctor and she told me to stop taking the medicine for a couple of weeks to see if the pain would go away. The pain didn’t go away and I went back on it. Only 5mg. I’m feeling fatigue, muscle seem to feel weak and I’m not sure if it’s from the medicine or just my age, also gained a little bit of weight. If anyone has any comments please let me know thank you! Also my triglycerides used to be very low and since taking this medicine they went up at least by 50”

Bill March 6, 2019

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “Could not get up from a chair after taking Crestor generic. Then I stopped taking the drug two weeks ago and still have trouble with muscle weakness and pain. It is very painful to enter a car and to sleep at night. I failed to mention the problems with my joints in my fingers and toes stiffness and cramps.”

dreamer2222 December 11, 2016

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “After a few years of taking Crestor (which worked fine for its intended purpose), I suddenly developed a severe case of Sciatica. I couldn't stand, sit, walk, lie down, or any other activity without terrible pain up and down the back of my left leg. I was tested for everything including MRI and using novocaine and other pain killers. Nothing helped. After 5 months of constant pain, my doctor suggested discontinuing Crestor. The pain was completely gone within a week. Come to find out, my Sciatic nerve passed through my Piriformis muscle instead of around it like in most people. The Crestor had caused toxicity in the Piriformis muscle which caused it to squeeze the Sciatic nerve continuously, causing continuous pain.”

MeR · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “Start taking 10 mg yesterday. After about 2 hours, I had severe leg cramps. Yesterday, I thought it was maybe flu or something. Then, today again after a couple of hours of taking it, the cramps and weakness started. There is no way I am taking this again. I rather die of heart attack than be on wheelchair.”

Hip to be square December 15, 2020

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “My prescribed dosage, which I stuck with for 5 years until I reduced it, was 1x20mg per day. This eventually resulted in severe Hip/Leg pain which greatly reduced my ability to walk. Being very obese, I did not need any decreased mobility. After a period of experimenting based on my own research, not the doctor's, I have arrived at a dosage level that prevents angina, lowers my cholesterol to a level my doctor is happy with. I am now taking 6x20 tablets p/wk. That is not a big decrease, but it seems to be enough to almost completely stop the intense pain I was suffering. I have investigated/experimented with the reduced dosage extensively, and is the "happy medium". For me, it is a good drug, if used at the right level. Without it completely, I know I would be experiencing heart/circulation problems. Prior to me making my own decisions about dosage level, my previous doctor told me that I would need a hip replacement. I have since changed doctors, and am happy with the adjusted dose.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 20, 2017

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “Had high cholesterol started on crestor.Sense then my life a nightmare. Leg cramps, joint pain swelling, memory loss ,extreme fatigue and now they have diagnosed me with an unknown issue. All since crestor I am stopping ..never sick a day in my life..these medications will make us sicker. .”

Resistor · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 26, 2013

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “Taking 2.5mg per day (that's half a 5mg pill). This much lowered my cholesterol from 248 to 193, and LDL from 168 to 125. Not perfect but good enough. Started out with 10mg a day that gave me muscle cramps and elevated Liver enzymes (AST and ALT). Doc had me try some other statins but they all had the same effect. So we lowered the Crestor dose until the side effects stopped. Works great and no noticeable side effects.”

Bruce · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 26, 2019

“I have been on rosuvastatin for about three years. It does work to lower cholesterol especially the LDL but you need to eat healthy for this to take effect and get active. Still this drug will cost you with some unwanted side effects...Elevated Liver Enzymes (for sure), I have joint pain in my pinky that hurts when I press, some foot pain and weird feeling. The drug seems to know when I'm enduring it and so it says: "you know what, maybe this isn't enough for you, so let me show you a new world of hurt" BAM!! Nausea, headaches, disrupted sleep, spiked blood pressure for hours, shivering, twitching, having me on the edge of seat and making me wonder if its the drug causing these side effects or not. Sometimes I'm afraid to fall asleep. Please consider your medical alternatives wisely.”

K9Scooby · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 14, 2016

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “I've taken most of the statins. I ALWAYS ended up with leg cramps. At 44, I had to have a Stent placed due to a 95% blockage. And that's when I started seeing my cardiologist. Upon hearing of the leg cramps, he ran a simple blood test and told me that my vitamin D was extremely low (4) and the real cause of the cramps. I now take 50k iu of vitamin D 3x weekly. I have NEVER had a cramp on Crestor, except when I forgot to take my vitamin D. As soon as I started the D back up, the cramps ceased. Even at 50k iu 3x weekly, my regulnar blood tests indicate that my vitamin D is now in the normal range (>29). And my cholesterol went from over 300 to down around 150. If u have cramps, I recommend the D check.”

RJ Tampa · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 17, 2014

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “I have been on Crestor 10 mg for 2 years now. I feel better but lately I am having some serious right hip joint pains. I am in good health, never had any sort of joint pain. Now I notice each time I take Crestor I can barely walk due to very intense deep hip joint pains. I have to stop taking this medication.”

ankaboot May 10, 2013

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “I took Crestor 10 mg for more than 10 years. It did an excellent job reducing my LDL. But, through years I developed joint pains, which doctors cold not explain. Once a friend told me my joint pain could be a result of Crestor, so to test it out I stopped taking it and sure enough only in few months no more pain in any of my joints for the past 1 year, since I have stopped taking Crestor.”

Sandra RM May 25, 2016

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “At age 65 my cholesterol reading creeped past borderline to high. I was put on 5mg of Crestor. After only one month, my LDL went from 167 to 79. At first I took at bedtime but noticed some minor leg pain. I switched to taking with evening meal and pain stopped.”

KP · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 29, 2020

“I started taking 5mg generic crestor 2 years ago every other day no problems my cholesterol wasn't coming down low enough its hereditary for me doctor increased 5mg every day for past 8 months. My knees are killing me like they are going to buckle under me and muscle pain in my chest. Doctor convinced it's not a side effect. I'm convinced it is. I'm very active and never had problems before. My hands go numb doctor keeps saying I'm fine! I'm going to have my bloodwork after Covid19 calms down and can get to a real doctor visit. I'm so glad it's not just me!”

Laflacadedorado · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2018

Crestor (rosuvastatin): “I’m using Crestor for my cholesterol but I have noticed I’m getting horrible leg pains. Is this a side effect of this medicine. Does anybody else has experience the same side effects or this is normal.”