User Reviews for Rivaroxaban

Also known as: Xarelto

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Rivaroxaban.

Rivaroxaban Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Rivaroxaban to treat Atrial Fibrillation

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I made a comment here a couple of years ago when I had just been put on Xarelto, before that I had been on Elequis. The side effects were to bad, especially with Xarelto, that I stopped any medication. However, a change in Cardiologist, and I was eventually persuaded to try another, PRADAXA. This one suits me and I have no side affects at all Xarelto gave me really bad migraines, my head felt as if it was swelling and my eyes popping out. I couldn’t get out of bed most days. I will never forget that. You have to take responsibility for your health. Always speak to your Doctor first. If your not happy get a second opinion."

Paulanne (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Drug works. Thins your blood out! Been on Xarelto for 1 year and quitting it. Have a loop monitor for 6 months and no AFib. One doctor says quit it one says stay on. Some score they use says I can quit so that's what I'm going to do. First six months had some muscle pain but I blamed Lipitor. Started to get blurry vision so eye doctor said everything was fine. Now I'm a year in. I have 2 large bruises on both legs and big toe just recently for really no apparent reason. Nose bleeds almost daily, muscle pain in bicep and upper back with heavy feeling in legs when walking. Shortness of breath comes out of nowhere and lasts less than an hour happens on occasion. Quit and so far muscle pain has subsided."

RogerAFib November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "It killed my beloved mother in July 2014 she was suddenly rushed by ambulance early morning hours. She had several ischemia strokes and had uncontrollable bleeding after surgery she died to taking xarelto. Now I've been turned down by lawyers because the death report said she died from C.O.P.D. and trying to find another law firm who will take my case the end results are death from this bad drug"

Fourc77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "My beloved mother went to the hospital by ambulance in 2014. She had afib which caused her to have ischemic strokes, bloody urine found out later in coffee can. She was in a nightmare for 6 weeks until the early morning hours of July 12th 2014 . They did an abdominal surgery so that the bleeding would stop and they had to cauterise her arteries in her stomach and put a vac pac on her. Then was rejected on the case so far because her death report said she died from COPD can someone help me try to get justice . "

Fourc77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "My mom has AF and didn't take any blood thinner before. She went to emergency in US and the doctor prescribed this drug to her. She followed the instruction to take the medicine. About 25 days later, she got the brain bleeding and woke up three weeks later after surgery, another two weeks later, she had the second brain bleeding, a few weeks later she passed away. It took my mom to the heaven. What should I say. "

Blind Trust (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I have episodes of red blood cells in my urine, (colour of red wine). GP has referred me to the urology specialist at General Hospital. Is this normal after 3 months of taking this meds?"

C.Y (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Apparently helps my a-fib, but causes bad bruising and bleeding from minor wounds. I also have bad heart burn and take antacid frequently. This happens while I'm eating, after, and also when my stomach is empty. A friend who tried Xarelto had the same problem, which makes me think it's from the medicine, or at least it made it worse. This causes me lots of pain and discomfort, but I don't know if another blood thinner would be the same."

Jeepy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "While on Xarelto I experienced a stroke. Partial loss of vision. I have atrial fibrillation. Initially, a few years ago I was put on Coumadin. That was a hassle. Then I was very glad when Pradaxa came out and it was prescribed. But it caused such stomach pain. I was then put on Xarelto. I took it faithfully as prescribed. I had no discomfort or side effects, but then in December of 2016 I had the stroke. Now I am on Eliquis."

BuckeyeJoJo July 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Why--Why for goodness sake is the 20 mg "tablet" so bloody small??? It is ridiculous the size and shape of it--if you drop one good luck and get out your magnifying glass to find it!! Do you have medical engineers to design these things? If so, this one is a big mistake. I intend to ask my physician for two 10s, nice round pills these old eyes can see--even if I drop one!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "My mother was on these for 9 months. It caused her to have constant, severe diarrhea. Just yesterday she had a major bleed whilst going to the toilet. She had numerous tests on her tummy troubles a few months back and they found nothing wrong. Obviously Dr's prescribed these and couldn't be bothered reading up on the drug. She has been so sick for 6 months. Crazy."

Maree9 March 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Experienced tiredness, nosebleeds, rectal bleeding A tiny cut is still bleeding three days after it happened Not happy, seeing Doctor tomorrow"

Ossy (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Experience initially- hives which disappeared after a few days- replaced by rash and itching on my ankles and feet which continues. Also woozy and light headedness continues."

Anonymous January 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "My mother is in the hospital now almost on her death bed from Xarelto. It caused her to have a gastrointestinal bleed and she has bloody fluid around her heart which had to be removed and she still has a chest tube for that, I don't recomment anyone to take this drug. It will kill you!"

Warningfolksofthisdrug December 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I'm a 50 yr old female who is still menstruating. I started this drug in the hospital and my cycle went from 3-5 days - up to 9 days then stopped. This month- I am on day 15 of an incredibly heavy cycle. I wear TWO extra long overnight pads ( which should last 10 hours) and I go through them in less than 2 hours. I started this drug after a mild stroke that seems to have been a by-product of A-fib . I didn't want Coumadin (aka Rat Poison) - and thought out of the 3 two-year old medicines left, this seemed to be the best for my active lifestyle. It is not. The bleeding is so heavy, I am exhausted. Pains in my feet adn ankles. Back pains, neck pains and Migraine like headaches on the opposite side of my stroke affected side. HELP!"

DameInDistress (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Light pink bleeding from my throat and. sores on tongue. Sore. and cramps in feet and legs.pink blood in nose also.Tingling in fingers. Sore arms, stiff neck Stomach pain that goes to my back.Shortness of breath."

Hinz November 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "After starting Xarelto, I saw no change after a few days so I headed out to my sales territory. I decided to spend the night in Chattanooga. I urinated before midnight and thought I saw a slight pink tint to my urine. I got up to urinate about 2 hrs later and decided to pee in a cup. Defintely reddish. I used another cup about 4 am and when I got up about 5:30-6am. This time my urine looked like ketchup water......I canceled safety talks and headed home to see my doctor. Defintely had blood in my urine. He stopped Xaralto..... Back to Coumadin and monitoring."

deermeat48 August 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I have had afib for about 12 years and have had two ablations. Afib is back again but not all the time. Had to be electroconverted in late Feb and was put on Eliquus. My blood pressure went sky high and I started to develop diahrrea. As it got worse, they agreed to switch me to Xarelto. After about a week, my diahrrea was out of control and there was blood in the stool. The doctor told me I had to stay on it but I couldn't take the side effects. I haven't taken Xarelto for three days. No more blood in stool. Diahhrea is clearing up. Blood pressure down to 119/66. BAD DRUG!!!!!"

Hoops1106 April 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "After being on Coumadin for 1 year I thought I was going to go crazy with all the annoying phone calls from the office about blood testing. The doctor kept telling me the tests are necessary to prevent me from bleeding out or having another stroke. I said isn't there something different and he referred me to talk to my PCP who recommended Xarolto and it has changed my life for the better. I never felt so good and I never have to worry about blood test or diet. Needless to say that doctor is no longer my doctor"

Yardley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I'm diabetic and it's uncontrollable since taking Xarelto. I'm sure Afib symptoms are gone now so I can't imagine a downside. I'm seeing my neurologist this week to remove me from the medication. I live in Thailand where Xarelto is cheap without insurance."

Donx February 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I have terrible headaches after 2 weeks. Some are so bad I vomit and have vertigo. Other days I will have head pain for 12 hours or more. At least 3 headaches a week now."

A M T February 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "In my case, I believe that Xarelto keeps any injury from healing in a timely manner. A scratch that would normally disappear in a week or two lasts months for healing. It worries me even though several doctors from different specialities have said there is no connection here."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Xarelto probably saved my life from a stroke with a fib. I feel great on a high dose....I adjusted well and feel better than before I started it. I don't fear a stroke anymore with Xarelto."

Skyrae November 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Bruising is common. I have lower back soreness and right leg hip area pain. Some leg weakness in the afternoon and evening. No reason to stop the medication in my opinion. I have had kyphoplasty and gall bladder surgery, and the medication was stopped temporarily for both. No adverse reactions."

OldRN56 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "I have had no major adverse effects from taking Xarelto. However, it seems that since starting this, the back of my lower neck itches all the time. I have scrubbed my neck, I have no rash or appearance of anything unusual, just the itch. Wonder if this medicine could cause this. I believe I ran across an article of someone complaining of the same condition but I don't know where I saw it."

phyllis23 October 31, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Xarelto (rivaroxaban): "Since taking Xarelto I have had 3-4 vivid dreams/nightmares per night that were very work specific-strenuous and exhausting (not frightening) and I awaken in the morning exhausted from all the effort put forth in the dreams."

MLSW (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2013