User Reviews for Metamucil to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Metamucil has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 16 ratings for the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. 50% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Metamucil Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Metamucil

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2019

“This stuff changed my life!! I've been taking metamucil for about 3 months now. Doctors have put me through the ringer of testing and made me a guinea pig for medicines. I've been given every type of IBS diet, medicine and regiment know to man with NO RESOLVE or relief. I had tried everything else so this was my last alternative, I wish it had been my FIRST! I started with 1/2 tsp and worked up... The most I took was a tbsp in a day which I didn't need and backed back down to only a teaspoon a day. I suffer from the diarrhea type of IBS. I take metamucil everyday usually right after breakfast or lunch with Sonny D or OJ. I've been an IBS sufferer since I was 16 I'm 42 now. I highly recommend you give this a try. Blessings to you!!”

Crazeek April 7, 2020

“My gastroenterologist told me that I was developing lot of inflammation in my gut. He instructed me to get more fiber. I was experiencing symptoms of incomplete evacuation. Also I found it difficult to clean my bottom after a BM. This left my bottom irritated from leakage. I finally started taking Metamucil. Now I can have a complete BM. Nothing is left behind. When I wipe the tissue is clean. I have been taking it for two days now. I can tell a difference for the better. I hope it continues to help me feel clean.”

D February 12, 2020

“IBS-D for 3 years. Fast onset. Breath test confirmed, bad methane and other gases. Finally got Xifaxin x2 - didn't seem to help much. Enzymes didn't seem to help but keep taking them as I do Betaine HCL. Getting a bit better. GI finally said generic psyllium powder/Metamucil and I started with 1 tbsp a day. Too much gas but other symptoms started to lessen. Worked down to 1 tsp a day with water in the morning...and after 3 months, I feel normal again. A miracle. I also take 1 psyllium capsule with lunch and dinner. I have started to put 'gassy' fiber like beans back in my diet. No problems! A miracle. My suggestion is take it no matter what.....I use 1 cup of water. I have my life back.”

Steph · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2020

“I was having horrible stomach cramps with diarrhea on a daily basis last couple of years. And I tried every antidiarrheal medication out there and it wasn't really helping. After several weeks of it my mom said we need to figure out what is going on so she took me to our general physician and he said I need to be on probiotics and recommend me to a GI doctor. The GI doctor ran a bunch of test and told me that if I continue taking antidiarrheal medication it could paralyze my gut so she told me to stop and try metamucil so I tried the powder for a couple of months and I didn't like the taste of it so I switched to the Metamucil Fiber Thins (chocolate) flavor and they taste so good that it helped me a lot. I don't get diarrhea very often anymore. Every once in awhile I'll get some loose stools but other than that I been having normal bowel movements ever since I started doing the metamucil fiber thins.”

JCIbssufferer · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2019

“I've suffered from IBS with diarrhea off and on since I was 16. The worst is the diarrhea attacks. I have gone through several bouts of testing due to the extreme weight loss and inability to eat without any results coming back with an actual reason or explanation. I restructured my diet as instructed per the doctor's and more diarrhea! Nothing was ever able to maintain normal bowel movements for long no matter what I restricted from my diet. After 30 years I finally tried metamucil all on my own after doing research online about its possibility to help with the stool consistency. I started with 1/2 a teaspoon everyday around 11 a.m. Low and behold it's only been a week but so far it's appearing to assist. I hope that after a month I can report the same results if not even better because I've not even had a month of relief in almost a year.”

Maggie · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2020

“I have IBS, started having large bowel motions followed by diarrhea and cramping. Started on 1 packet of metamucil daily. Started having cramping, a lot of sticky overly soft stools, a lot of gas and discomfort.”

Susan · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2020

“I have taken Metamucil for the last few years for my digestive issues. It slightly improved my digestion. Two weeks ago, I saw MetaMucil Premium at Publix for the first time. I decided to try it. It has drastically improved my digestion for the last 2 weeks. I am curious what is different in the Premium? I can't tell you how much better I am feeling and I'm so grateful. Thank You”

some random woman September 7, 2015

“I used to suffer from frequent, repeated flareups of diarrhea and constipation. It was extremely painful when the liquid stool tried to push past the hardened stool. I finally saw a doctor and explained my problem. She said I had symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. She recommended Metamucil and I started treatment the next day. I experienced considerable relief after a week of drinking the powder mixture. I take Metamucil each and every day now and have experienced far less flareups than I did in the past. I no longer have to stay home so much or know exactly where each bathroom is when I go out. This fiber supplement has greatly improved my quality of life. I'm so grateful.”

Joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2018

“I started having emergency runs to the bathroom before my first class everyday in college. Needing to hold it when stuck in traffic was the worse! I started having cramping all over my abdominal, and with internet diagnosing myself I swore I had some serious disease or cancer. I went to the doctor and he did some tests and I was fine, and he recommended Metamucil. It took my body a while to get used to the new fiber. Symptoms would come and go, and after about a week or two I started realizing how much I was actually able to forget about even having stomach problems! I still have some cramping and the product does seem to cause some bloating. However I went from only having a couple good days a week, to only a couple bad days a week.”

margo · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2020

“Metamucil helps me so much for IBS. I haven’t felt this good in many months. Overall gas, IBS and even stomach pains are reduced to almost none. I’ve had IBS for a couple years now and after just a few days of taking this every other day I feel great!!”

NoMorePain/Diarrhea · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2016

“I was told to take this 40 years ago, but didn't like the taste/texture. My pain and diarrhea got so bad I started taking 1 scant tablespoon a day and I have no more pain and only rare diarrhea. I wish I had started using it years ago.”

Lin · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

“Just started Metamucil today with a spoonful of the berry flavor in a glass of water. Yuck! I added lime juice and it’s tastes so much better, almost like a mixed drink! Hope this works! I Have had IBS D for 30 years! Bottoms up!”

MustangSally · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2020

“Have been reading the reviews for Metamucil with interest. My own experience is vastly different from what I am reading. It is actually causing worst diarrhea for me. I am going to try it in pill form instead of the powder to see if it makes a difference.”

Rani2018 April 22, 2019

“Great Marketing!!!! But the cheaper and more original Psyllium Husk seems to work better for my Collagenous Colitis! I don’t know why that is. Maybe because it has no additive and is not in powdered form.”

Anonymous March 9, 2012

“Somewhat helped for a few months, but then my irritable bowel syndrome got worse. Even ER medicines didn't relieve my pain. I have been suffering for 2 years and haven't found a medicine that will help.”

SolomanSasi · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 10, 2020

“I used it for 2 years and figured out that it caused high blood pressure. Please measure your blood pressure before and after taking the dose and you see the difference.”

Anonymous April 16, 2009

“Metamucil works if you use it everyday. I just can't stand the taste of it.”

Learn more about Irritable Bowel Syndrome