User Reviews for Lyrica

Learn more about Lyrica.

Lyrica Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Postherpetic Neuralgia.

Reviews for Lyrica to treat Postherpetic Neuralgia

"I had shingles in January 2014. I have had terrible PHN ever since. 2.5 years of pain. It has been awful!! Shingles is the worst pain I have ever experienced and it isn't going away. I tried everything out there from Gabapentin to acupuncture, to percocet, to injections in my back and nothing helped, or it would help for a few weeks, but the pain always managed to come back strong. I was wary of Lyrica because of the side effects, but I finally decided to try it. It has definitely helped me and I can do things like ride my bike again with little pain. However, I have put on 8 lbs in 6 months and I am an extremely active person, so this is tough for me. I also have pain in my joints and sometimes my hands go numb, but less pain."

Cyclist 54 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2016

"I'm 48 yr. health female and I suffer from severe, chronic post shingles pain from my spine, around my hip, to my belly button, basically my entire left side. This is the worst experience of my life this nerve pain is tiring, depressing and just seems to not let up. Lyrica is helping to cut down on the amount of spams and excruciating pain but, I keep wondering, "when will it go away" and why don't they give the shingles injections like chicken pox to "prevent". Why do I have to wait to get this again someone where else or until I'm 50+ years old to prevent another bout of excruciating never pain."

Pain worse than labor (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

"I was on this drug many years ago, and the side effects were terrible, couldn't drive, felt like a zombie, and slept most of the time. So was very reluctant to go back on it. I did give pregabalin a whirl and so far so good, I am supposed to be on 75mg 3 times a day, although due to my past experience will only take them at night so one 75mg, I am so surprised not any side effects like last time, although a weird sensation on my right cheek like a cool breeze feeling all the time, feels bizarre!"

Rhiannone Sian November 28, 2015

"I developed shingles in my face, scalp, and eye in 2005. The initial pain was treated with gabapentin, which didn't work very well. The doc wouldn't prescribe anything stronger. In fact, she hardly recognized that shingles pain was significant. My PHN kicked in when the rash disappeared. I've still got it. I monitored the internet for PHN meds and when Lyrica came out I notified my new doc immediately. He started me out at 100 mg three times a day and when that was only modestly effective he kicked it up to 150 mg X 3. It works very nicely. However there are side effects. My weight gain has been significant. Brain fog happens. I get double vision on an irregular basis. I feel tired. Now my liver values are increasing."

hath5572 October 29, 2015

"Shingles in my scalp in 2009. Started off using 75 mg twice daily. I am now taking 150 mg twice daily. The Lyrica was/is a lifesaver, since I also have migraine, sinus, tension headaches. I seldom have the migraines anymore. My problem is that my scalp continues to get irritated if I comb it or use any kind of lotions, gels, moisturizers, oils or sprays on it. Concerned about the weight gain, but overall, satisfied with Lyrica."

emag July 23, 2015

"I've copped a dose of the shingles from the middle of my back wrapped around into my belly button on the right side. Doctors couldn't work out the problem because the rash took 5 days to appear. The pain was very uncomfortable. Pain killers weren't cutting the mustard. When the rash appeared the Doc put me straight onto lyrica 75mg once a day. Had the pill before bed then for the next 3 days had a migraine so intense that all i could think of is please wear off and give me the shingles pain back. So lyrica did stop the nerve pain but i developed side effects. Just not for every one."

brendo (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2015

"Had a Thalamic Stroke, which left me with disturbed sensations on my right side. 10 years later, developed shingles on my right leg, which I thought were bug bites. Within 3 days, I was in agony, after 8 weeks I was loosing functionality in the right leg. Saw Orthopedist, Pain Specialist, and received the impression, that they thought I was a nut, or trying to get pain meds. Finally went to a neurologist, who diagnosed TPS and Shingles nerve pain interacting. Within 24 hours of starting Lyrica the pain lessened, upping the dose a few weeks later and the pain was zilch. I have started to regain function in the right leg, it's very slow but I can see it. I have never felt such terrible pain, Lyrica was a true lifesaver."

JMudder (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2015

"I had pain shooting throughout my body for a week. One day it would be in my legs, then my torso, then my arm, my throat, my ear and then shingles surfaced on my torso-right side. I took an antiviral for the shingles, and Neurontin for pain. The blisters were painful and they went away in a couple weeks but the pain remained and I took Neurontin in high doses, with Tylenol so I could sleep but my right leg hurt all the time. I couldn't walk up/down stairs on that leg, or sleep on either of side without pain and I am a side sleeper so I was miserable. A neurologist was skeptical that the cause was shingles but prescribed Lyrica and it was magic! 75 mg once a day and the pain is 95% gone, 6 months later still works."

lawnmowergirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2015

"Discovered I had the Shingles and the Dr. put me on Lyrica. 150 mg twice a day. Felt like I was drunk all day. That feeling decreased after a few days. This was in May, 2013. I had a hard time getting off of the first dose. I would experience shakiness and feeling unwell. I. Am finally getting off the second dose and it is Nov, 2013. Have to take a sleeping pill to sleep as I have severe insomnia without the Lyrica. It did help the nerve pain but hope I never have to take it again."

Shakin (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2013

"I had shingles for two and a half weeks, then experienced severe nerve pain after the sores began to heal. My doctor originally prescribed Vicodin, then switched me to Lyrica in anticipation of my return to work. Lyrica was very effective at reducing the severity of the pain, but it caused me to be very drowsy. I slept for 14 hours a night, and had difficulty concentrating during the day. I would also have trouble remembering things I had done while taking Lyrica. I had to discontinue using it."

Anonymous May 10, 2013

"I had an attack of shingles last December. I experienced the typical symptoms: rash, burning pain, itching etc. After the scabs had dried I was put on Lyrica to ease the nerve pain. Have to say that it worked for me. I am a healthy 46 year old male. The side effects were some fuzziness and weight gain. This may have been due to lack of movement and also the Christmas eating but I put on 3 kilos in two weeks which is a lot for me. I am feeling that I would like to come off it so will reduce dosage and see what happens. At first I was nervous about taking this but it has notably reduced the pain to practically nothing."

charmingmanuk66 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2013

"VERY MIXED RESULTS. Had a severe attack of shingles on the face and scalp (3 weeks in most of the hair on one side of my head was literally gone). I refused morphine (in hindsight, I should have taken it) but I did take Percocet which helped the internal pain but not the nerve pain in the skin. For that they gave me Neurontin, but I could not tolerate it due to extreme drowsiness, loss of appetite, loss of concentration and dry mouth (before I could chew food it was too dry to swallow it). Tried Lyrica 75mg 3 times daily. First dose seemed to really work but effect declined significantly so that the fifth dose had no effect. During the fourth week he increased to 100mg 3 times daily. Second dose helped then effects declined."

Medgeek April 6, 2012

"Got shingles on my scalp and face, was treated with Valtrex, Neurontin,and pain medicine. I have repeatedly had bouts of shingles for the last 15 months, resulting in PHN. I now take Lyrica, 1 at 8 am, 1 at 3pm and 3 at bedtime. This dose was gradually increased over time. Although very fatigued I am 50% better and am able to function better. The initial drowsiness subsided after a couple of months. Do still have a bit of brain fog, not sure if it's the Lyrica or lack of sleep."

Anonymous January 15, 2011

"Suffered a severe attack of shingles in early 2008 and now suffer from nerve damage and pain. I originally took gabapentin (most effective) along with morphine to deal with the pain. I developed stomach problems from that mix so tried Lyrica as a replacement to the gabapentin. My stomach problems have subsided but the Lyrica does not seem to be as effective at relieving the nerve pain. Even tried a combination of Lyrica and Gabapentin but no increase in effectiveness."

Anonymous October 18, 2010

"Used Lyricia for treatment of shingles. Have had shingles for almost four months. Symptoms began with terrible burning in both breast's and in back directly behind each breast. I started taking Lyrica twice a day (every 12 hours) for about a week and get much relief for about 10 hours. Then the burning sensations return. Started a couple of new drugs today in addition to the Lyrica. Hope to get serious relief and complete recovery."

Anonymous January 6, 2010

"I have not experienced any decrease in pain and I have had trouble sleeping, feeling constantly drowsy and find it difficult to concentrate at work. Have had some instances of irritability."

Anonymous June 3, 2009

"I was prescribed Lyrica for shingles and consider it a miracle drug as all my old age joint pain (not arthritus) went away."

Anonymous April 19, 2008

"I woke up on Febuary 17th 07 with pain and a rash from my breast down to my waist and around my right side to my spine. My husband took me to the emergency room and I was told I had shingles. I got on the computer looking for something to help me and found Lyrica. Called my Dr. and he prescribed it for me. Started with 3 a day and I am taking 1 a day now. Feel great."

betty copas August 25, 2007

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate