User Reviews for Lyrica

Learn more about Lyrica.

Lyrica Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Lyrica to treat Fibromyalgia

"The pain from Fibromyalgia comes as MUSCLE cramping, tingling, twitching, spasms, etc. It is not a "nerve" illness per se, yet doctors think people are stupid and prescribe this anyway. It does nothing for the pain or fatigue from Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue/M.E. Until people realize that legitimate users of meds such as Hydrocodone, morphine ER, etc are rarely abused by people in genuine chronic pain, doctors will continue to jeopardize patients lives by giving them meds like this as a placebo with nasty side effects. One doctor also put me on Paxil which gave me Serotonin Syndrome and I was in Intensive care for a week! This was when SSRI's first came out and I went into med journals. Avoid this for chronic MUSCLE pain."

PainfulPatty (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lyrica has been a big life changer for me!! Thank goodness I found a Dr who prescribed me this. I was in terrible pain and had bad fatigue to where I couldn't live life-- I have 3 kids who I couldn't keep up with. I can't say that everything is perfect now but it's pretty darn close! I hardly have any pain and my fatigue has decreased. I take 75 mg twice a day. I pray for everyone with Fibro to keep working at it until you find something that works."

Lezliew (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My own experience was awful. I did not gain weight but I had been suffering with depression because of all the pain I was in. My doctor prescribed these which in my option she should have never done specially when I was very down at the time. I've never experienced such thoughts in my life the only time I got a break from my own thoughts was when I was sleeping. If you are feeling down at all while taking these my advice go see your doctor ASAP do not continue with these not advisable to anyone with depression"

Jennifer200 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Blurred vision while driving 70, Nightmares, terrible balance, falling in the shower (took 30-min to get back up) my 4 & 6 year kids had to "rescue" me and turn off the water, Restless legs keeping me awake until all hours of the morning. 1 eye has twitched for 3 days now. Just to name a few of the side effects. This medicine needs to be an absolute last resort with doctors warning patients about all of these awful side effects prior to prescribing. I am a former licensed practical nurse, and this is unacceptable as far as side effects go."

MO-Mom (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst medicine ever. I gained nearly 50 pounds in four months. At first the medicine made me feel good even though I was gaining the weight fast. By the fourth month the pain was so intense it actually rivalled childbirth. I was not overeating and in fact I was working out more. I still cannot get the weight back off. If I could give this med a -10 I would."

C jor (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Confused most of the time."

Rose mark (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 19, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Doc put me on Lyrica 50 mg twice a day. The first two weeks were AMAZING, I was doing things I haven't been able to do in many years. HOWEVER, let me just say IT DOES CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN AND MINE WAS NOT FROM OVEREATING. In fact, I was hardly hungry at all and when I do eat, it is usually fruits and veggies. I was even working out every day. The last day I took Lyrica (I only took it for one month), it made me so freaking miserable, I went home in tears. My stomach swelled up like I was malnourished and every time I would bend over, I would throw up water or whatever I had just put on my stomach. It was AWFUL! In a month, I gained over 10 lbs. NOT COOL!"

GIGI HOLLOWAY February 7, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had a slipped disc with sciatic pain diagnosed before new year. Had been having heart palpitations, anxiousness, blurry vision and having suicidal thoughts. Felt could be due to the drugs I'm taking and turns out... it's all from lyrica. "

SlippedDisc January 21, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I hate this medication because it hasn't helped any of my joints or nerve pain. The only positive side is it helped my IBS and I don't get stomach attacks anymore. I still have so bad joint and muscle pain all the time, I take 75 mg twice a day and nothing seems to do the trick. I hate the side effects I get a real bad headache too."

hasbrogrl74 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 20, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wanted to share my experience in combining Lyrica and Neurontin for neuropathy symptoms; I've had fibromyalgia for 25 yrs. Neurontin was effective, but only at 1800 mg./day, which left me drowsy (fell asleep anytime I wasn't moving). My MD switched me to Lyrica (75 mg), but when I got to 3 per day, I rapidly gained weight - 10 lbs. in 2 wks! As a med student, I knew the two meds worked in a similar way and were metabolized similarly. I decreased the Lyrica to 1/ day, which stopped the weight gain, but didn't control the nerve pain, so I added back in one 300 mg. Neurontin per day (both at bedtime, to minimize drowsiness) - still not enough pain control. I added another Neurontin, and that was optimal for me. I take it all at bedtime."

Monkey8065 December 31, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just diagnosed. Paid 100 for 30 day script. Scared to take it after reviewing comments here."

TT dubois December 28, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Terrible Med! Years after taking for a few weeks I still have seriously blurry vision. Seems to be permanent. Everything about this drug was far worse than the problems it was supposed to address. Do not take this toxic garbage. My Dr insisted I had to give it time to work... Any more time and I'd likely be dead or blind! Avoid like the plague and/or carefully read of myriad side effects and hope you can stop in time to avoid permanent problems from side effects. IMO this med s/b taken off the market!"

BuddyBoy _88 (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia. After taking the first dose my hands and feet swelled up and I couldn't bend my figures. If I tried the pain was intense. Then I stated to stagger. I wobbled when I tried to stand still. My mind fogged up. I felt drunk and hungry. I got a sandwich and it slipped off of my plate to the floor and I picked up and continued to eat, at least a couple of times. Every thing I ate that night tasted so good. I was so sleepy. When I got up in the morning there were things in places that should never of been. (ie: TV remote in the bathroom, food on the floor near my bed and other things misplaced. I felt like I had a hangover. NEVER AGAIN. I had the same experience with Gabapentin. Just say no!"

Juwa (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for fibromyalgia, I've tried it several times at low doses and have had a horrible experience. I can not explain this but within an hour of taking lyrica I get the most severe tooth pain, like every tooth suddenly has a hole in it ? I went to my dentist the first time NO HOLES?? My doctor thought it was amusing ? Bizarre. My real problem is the next morning after taking lyrica I have horrendous stomach pain for days, hurts to urinate, poop or fart. Feels like I really have to push to urinate, my doctor said sounds like stomach/intestine inflammation which is on the common side, so I've been taken off it. I will say I sleep like a baby after taking it!"

Sassy16 November 4, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Two attempts at treatment for fibromyalgia with Lyrica. Both had similar outcomes, in that the "cure" was worse than the illness. Side effects were overwhelming from the onset: increased fatigue, terrifying anxiety, tremors. In addition, this drug's efficacy was zero. I received no positive effects from Lyrica and discontinued use. Side note: I need to learn about illnesses that affect me and medications that I take or are offered to me. Doctors may mean well, but I need to know how they affect ME, not just what is printed in a package insert. And if a doc is not right for me, it's time to find her replacement."

GreatCaesarsGhost (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Lyrica about 5 months ago. It has worked great for relieving my pain from fibro, however I have experienced bladder retention at times and since I also suffer from anxiety, depression, and PTSD, over the last couple months, I have been having really scary thoughts of suicide. (I would never, ever do that. I know myself well enough to know that I would never do anything. I lost my husband that way.) I feel like it has increased my symptoms of depression and PTSD. I stopped taking it 2 days ago and while I am in a lot of pain, it's better than the side effects of this medicine. I'm going to my Dr in a couple days and I'm going to talk to her about another option."

Harley89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works pretty well for the pain, but having severe side effects (involuntary musclular movement involving jerking of legs and difficulty speaking, urinary retention and inability to urinate, dramatic weight gain of 30 pounds so far)"

SummertimeDesigns October 20, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Lyrica 4 days ago to help with my fibromyalagia I am to take 1 pill at bedtime for 5 days increase my dose to 1 in the morning as well. I've been taking it at night and experienced involuntary tremors, muscle spasms, twitching of my fingers, arms and legs.The twitching is scary! It's involuntary, I have no control of my body when this happens. My leg started twitching and it stuck straight up, waking me from a deep sleep! The twitching and tremors linger all day. Lyrica caused severe swelling in my feet,ankles and legs. It's very uncomfortable. I also experienced loss of balance, dizziness, blurred vision and ulcer sores on my tongue and in my mouth. I felt far better before taking this medicine. Needless to say I'm no longer taking it."

SunnyBunny77 October 20, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lyrica started to ease my pain the very first night I started it. I saw about a 20% easing of Fibro pain for the duration of the first night and day 2. I woke up on day 3 - No relief. Lyrica just completely stopped working by day 3 & I was back to agony. I continued on my dose of 75mg each night for over 3 weeks, I then upped the dose to one 75mg in the morning & two 75mg at night. I've been on this higher dose now for a few weeks and still absolutely no relief. I must say that I've experienced little side effects - Some memory loss & tiredness. No weight gain at all. If Lyrica had have kept working I would have been really happy but unfortunately it just stopped working for me! I'd recommend at least trying it for anyone that's considering"

LouisaB (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Lyrica for 6 weeks.The first 5 weeks I took 50mg twice daily.Literally at the 5 week mark I had significant improvement.My pain was at a consistent pain level of an 8/9 before starting and now a 5/6.I would like to note I had no side effects at this dose.My doctor increased my dose to 100mg twice daily a week ago and now I have side effects,headaches that last all day,everyday where as before I did have chronic headches that came and went during the day from fibro. Also my fingers and face are very puffy to the point of being uncomfortable.And the worst part is the chronic dry mouth.I have to keep a water bottle on hand to sip on constantly!(Having a chronic dry mouth puts you at a higher risk of cavities.)And weight gain"

Jackie2222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Taking Lyrica hasn't helped my Fibrmyalgia symptoms at all, and even though I'm on a starter dose of 75 mg once per day the side effects are terrible! I tremble so badly it appears as if I have Parkinson's disease. I can't hand write at all and let alone many other daily functions. It has affected my thinking terribly and makes my mind race and my thoughts are very jumbled which makes me feel extremely anxious, plus when talking my speech is very shaky sounding and very fast and slurry. I also have a lot of trouble urinating. I find it extremely difficult to empty my bladder and at times very painful. I was already taking sleeping tablets ( Temazipan), but Lyrica has made getting to sleep even worse. My chest and nose both feel congested."

MiriG (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started with the trial way back in 05/06 and what a difference it made in my life. I lived with that muscle pain for 45 years and tried numerous medications with no lasting relief. When I seen the ad for the trial with a Dr I had nothing to lose but 9 different kinds of drugs and their side affects. Although I was at the top of the dosage after 18 months I was pain free for the first time in over ten years with no side affects. Even though we have added low dosage pain medications back in over the years, mainly during the winter, I'm still at a tolerable level with Lyrica. I have recommended this medication to people with explainable nerve pain many times."

Jnebg1 (taken for 10 years or more) September 14, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lyrica is great at taking away my pain due to fibromyalgia. However, the side effects from the medication and from detoxing are not worth it! I am 25 and took Lyrica for at least 6 years. I experienced severe brain fog, difficulty breathing, cognitive difficulties n others while on this medication. I thought they were all due to my conditions, but after truly reflecting on my journey Lyrica surely hurt me more than it helped me. I have been off of the medication for about 3 weeks now. I did some research and learned that my detox period would be both difficult and long because 1, I took the medication for several years, I took a high dosage andi stopped the medicatiod cold turkey. It's getting easier for sure. The creator on my side!"

Mekelani (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 1, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I will start off by saying it did cause weight gain. My clothes fit the same but the number on the scale went up about 7-10 pounds depending on the day. I cannot say this is solely because the drug- I think I can safely say that this is because my pain has improved so drastically that I have appetite again. I can keep the weight off if I really want to, but I am not overweight and I am content with my appetite finally being back after years of struggles that I don't think it's a problem. Regardless, I have been on lyrica for almost a year now. It has drastically improved my nerve pain, joint stiffness and swelling (along with a gallon of water a day), appetite, energy, and sleep. I am not pain free but no fibromyalgia patient truly ever is pain free but my pain has gone from an average of 8-9 down to a 4-5 on my good days. My flare ups are far less frequent and I only experience them once every two or so months which is a huge improvement over every other week. The length of the flare ups is also shortened from 3-5 days down to 2 days maximum. At the beginning of taking the medicine I was slightly drowsy but nothing dangerous. I only take it once a day and I am trying to keep it that way to avoid moving up to 2 doses a day. Lyrica is my miracle drug and has definitely given me my life back. My biggest complaint is the cost and insurance but it could be worse. It costs me $2 a day to feel normal again."

lauren165 August 24, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia earlier this year. My old doctor prescribed me Cymbalta and it didn't work. I was off from work for 2 months because of the pain. All I did was layed in bed suffering. Seemed like I would never have my normal life back. I went to another doctor and he prescribed me Lyrica it lessened the pain within a day or two. Now I have some of my life back. I still have a little pain but Lyrica has helped me and changed my life."

Litalove (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016