User Reviews for Lyrica

Learn more about Lyrica.

Lyrica Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Lyrica to treat Fibromyalgia

"Had a slipped disc with sciatic pain diagnosed before new year. Had been having heart palpitations, anxiousness, blurry vision and having suicidal thoughts. Felt could be due to the drugs I'm taking and turns out... it's all from lyrica. "

SlippedDisc January 21, 2017

"I hate this medication because it hasn't helped any of my joints or nerve pain. The only positive side is it helped my IBS and I don't get stomach attacks anymore. I still have so bad joint and muscle pain all the time, I take 75 mg twice a day and nothing seems to do the trick. I hate the side effects I get a real bad headache too."

hasbrogrl74 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 20, 2017

"I wanted to share my experience in combining Lyrica and Neurontin for neuropathy symptoms; I've had fibromyalgia for 25 yrs. Neurontin was effective, but only at 1800 mg./day, which left me drowsy (fell asleep anytime I wasn't moving). My MD switched me to Lyrica (75 mg), but when I got to 3 per day, I rapidly gained weight - 10 lbs. in 2 wks! As a med student, I knew the two meds worked in a similar way and were metabolized similarly. I decreased the Lyrica to 1/ day, which stopped the weight gain, but didn't control the nerve pain, so I added back in one 300 mg. Neurontin per day (both at bedtime, to minimize drowsiness) - still not enough pain control. I added another Neurontin, and that was optimal for me. I take it all at bedtime."

Monkey8065 December 31, 2016

"Just diagnosed. Paid 100 for 30 day script. Scared to take it after reviewing comments here."

TT dubois December 28, 2016

"Terrible Med! Years after taking for a few weeks I still have seriously blurry vision. Seems to be permanent. Everything about this drug was far worse than the problems it was supposed to address. Do not take this toxic garbage. My Dr insisted I had to give it time to work... Any more time and I'd likely be dead or blind! Avoid like the plague and/or carefully read of myriad side effects and hope you can stop in time to avoid permanent problems from side effects. IMO this med s/b taken off the market!"

BuddyBoy _88 (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

"I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia. After taking the first dose my hands and feet swelled up and I couldn't bend my figures. If I tried the pain was intense. Then I stated to stagger. I wobbled when I tried to stand still. My mind fogged up. I felt drunk and hungry. I got a sandwich and it slipped off of my plate to the floor and I picked up and continued to eat, at least a couple of times. Every thing I ate that night tasted so good. I was so sleepy. When I got up in the morning there were things in places that should never of been. (ie: TV remote in the bathroom, food on the floor near my bed and other things misplaced. I felt like I had a hangover. NEVER AGAIN. I had the same experience with Gabapentin. Just say no!"

Juwa (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

"I was prescribed this for fibromyalgia, I've tried it several times at low doses and have had a horrible experience. I can not explain this but within an hour of taking lyrica I get the most severe tooth pain, like every tooth suddenly has a hole in it ? I went to my dentist the first time NO HOLES?? My doctor thought it was amusing ? Bizarre. My real problem is the next morning after taking lyrica I have horrendous stomach pain for days, hurts to urinate, poop or fart. Feels like I really have to push to urinate, my doctor said sounds like stomach/intestine inflammation which is on the common side, so I've been taken off it. I will say I sleep like a baby after taking it!"

Sassy16 November 4, 2016

"Two attempts at treatment for fibromyalgia with Lyrica. Both had similar outcomes, in that the "cure" was worse than the illness. Side effects were overwhelming from the onset: increased fatigue, terrifying anxiety, tremors. In addition, this drug's efficacy was zero. I received no positive effects from Lyrica and discontinued use. Side note: I need to learn about illnesses that affect me and medications that I take or are offered to me. Doctors may mean well, but I need to know how they affect ME, not just what is printed in a package insert. And if a doc is not right for me, it's time to find her replacement."

GreatCaesarsGhost (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

"I started taking Lyrica about 5 months ago. It has worked great for relieving my pain from fibro, however I have experienced bladder retention at times and since I also suffer from anxiety, depression, and PTSD, over the last couple months, I have been having really scary thoughts of suicide. (I would never, ever do that. I know myself well enough to know that I would never do anything. I lost my husband that way.) I feel like it has increased my symptoms of depression and PTSD. I stopped taking it 2 days ago and while I am in a lot of pain, it's better than the side effects of this medicine. I'm going to my Dr in a couple days and I'm going to talk to her about another option."

Harley89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016

"Works pretty well for the pain, but having severe side effects (involuntary musclular movement involving jerking of legs and difficulty speaking, urinary retention and inability to urinate, dramatic weight gain of 30 pounds so far)"

SummertimeDesigns October 20, 2016

"I was prescribed Lyrica 4 days ago to help with my fibromyalagia I am to take 1 pill at bedtime for 5 days increase my dose to 1 in the morning as well. I've been taking it at night and experienced involuntary tremors, muscle spasms, twitching of my fingers, arms and legs.The twitching is scary! It's involuntary, I have no control of my body when this happens. My leg started twitching and it stuck straight up, waking me from a deep sleep! The twitching and tremors linger all day. Lyrica caused severe swelling in my feet,ankles and legs. It's very uncomfortable. I also experienced loss of balance, dizziness, blurred vision and ulcer sores on my tongue and in my mouth. I felt far better before taking this medicine. Needless to say I'm no longer taking it."

SunnyBunny77 October 20, 2016

"Lyrica started to ease my pain the very first night I started it. I saw about a 20% easing of Fibro pain for the duration of the first night and day 2. I woke up on day 3 - No relief. Lyrica just completely stopped working by day 3 & I was back to agony. I continued on my dose of 75mg each night for over 3 weeks, I then upped the dose to one 75mg in the morning & two 75mg at night. I've been on this higher dose now for a few weeks and still absolutely no relief. I must say that I've experienced little side effects - Some memory loss & tiredness. No weight gain at all. If Lyrica had have kept working I would have been really happy but unfortunately it just stopped working for me! I'd recommend at least trying it for anyone that's considering"

LouisaB (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2016

"I have been taking Lyrica for 6 weeks.The first 5 weeks I took 50mg twice daily.Literally at the 5 week mark I had significant improvement.My pain was at a consistent pain level of an 8/9 before starting and now a 5/6.I would like to note I had no side effects at this dose.My doctor increased my dose to 100mg twice daily a week ago and now I have side effects,headaches that last all day,everyday where as before I did have chronic headches that came and went during the day from fibro. Also my fingers and face are very puffy to the point of being uncomfortable.And the worst part is the chronic dry mouth.I have to keep a water bottle on hand to sip on constantly!(Having a chronic dry mouth puts you at a higher risk of cavities.)And weight gain"

Jackie2222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2016

"Taking Lyrica hasn't helped my Fibrmyalgia symptoms at all, and even though I'm on a starter dose of 75 mg once per day the side effects are terrible! I tremble so badly it appears as if I have Parkinson's disease. I can't hand write at all and let alone many other daily functions. It has affected my thinking terribly and makes my mind race and my thoughts are very jumbled which makes me feel extremely anxious, plus when talking my speech is very shaky sounding and very fast and slurry. I also have a lot of trouble urinating. I find it extremely difficult to empty my bladder and at times very painful. I was already taking sleeping tablets ( Temazipan), but Lyrica has made getting to sleep even worse. My chest and nose both feel congested."

MiriG (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2016

"I started with the trial way back in 05/06 and what a difference it made in my life. I lived with that muscle pain for 45 years and tried numerous medications with no lasting relief. When I seen the ad for the trial with a Dr I had nothing to lose but 9 different kinds of drugs and their side affects. Although I was at the top of the dosage after 18 months I was pain free for the first time in over ten years with no side affects. Even though we have added low dosage pain medications back in over the years, mainly during the winter, I'm still at a tolerable level with Lyrica. I have recommended this medication to people with explainable nerve pain many times."

Jnebg1 (taken for 10 years or more) September 14, 2016

"Lyrica is great at taking away my pain due to fibromyalgia. However, the side effects from the medication and from detoxing are not worth it! I am 25 and took Lyrica for at least 6 years. I experienced severe brain fog, difficulty breathing, cognitive difficulties n others while on this medication. I thought they were all due to my conditions, but after truly reflecting on my journey Lyrica surely hurt me more than it helped me. I have been off of the medication for about 3 weeks now. I did some research and learned that my detox period would be both difficult and long because 1, I took the medication for several years, I took a high dosage andi stopped the medicatiod cold turkey. It's getting easier for sure. The creator on my side!"

Mekelani (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 1, 2016

"I will start off by saying it did cause weight gain. My clothes fit the same but the number on the scale went up about 7-10 pounds depending on the day. I cannot say this is solely because the drug- I think I can safely say that this is because my pain has improved so drastically that I have appetite again. I can keep the weight off if I really want to, but I am not overweight and I am content with my appetite finally being back after years of struggles that I don't think it's a problem. Regardless, I have been on lyrica for almost a year now. It has drastically improved my nerve pain, joint stiffness and swelling (along with a gallon of water a day), appetite, energy, and sleep. I am not pain free but no fibromyalgia patient truly ever is pain free but my pain has gone from an average of 8-9 down to a 4-5 on my good days. My flare ups are far less frequent and I only experience them once every two or so months which is a huge improvement over every other week. The length of the flare ups is also shortened from 3-5 days down to 2 days maximum. At the beginning of taking the medicine I was slightly drowsy but nothing dangerous. I only take it once a day and I am trying to keep it that way to avoid moving up to 2 doses a day. Lyrica is my miracle drug and has definitely given me my life back. My biggest complaint is the cost and insurance but it could be worse. It costs me $2 a day to feel normal again."

lauren165 August 24, 2016

"I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia earlier this year. My old doctor prescribed me Cymbalta and it didn't work. I was off from work for 2 months because of the pain. All I did was layed in bed suffering. Seemed like I would never have my normal life back. I went to another doctor and he prescribed me Lyrica it lessened the pain within a day or two. Now I have some of my life back. I still have a little pain but Lyrica has helped me and changed my life."

Litalove (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

"Lyrica was my miracle drug for the first few weeks. I've been living with Fibromyalgia for over 5 years and have tried everything. Anti depressants, exercise, narcotics, you name it. So I was excited about the dramatic pain reduction from Lyrica. But now I have developed severe muscle weakness, headache, abdominal cramping, blurry vision, bad judgement which causes accidents to my fingers and toes I have recently had difficulty thinking clearly. I can barely hold myself up and I can't lift anything over a few pounds. I have asked my doctor if I can safely stop taking it. She said stop daytime and only take at bedtime. every other night till I ween off. My quality of life has worsened. I have started Chondroiden, MSM powder and ALpha Lipoid"

ccrichwine (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2016

"I was diagnosed with FM 3 years ago. Tried gabapentin, Cymbalta, muscle relaxers and opiates. Doc finally had me gave me lyrica (after I had to try everything else first) ams at first, it worked. I did feel "high" but that slowly went away. After approx. 2 weeks of 75mg a day, I had horrible side effects..feeling depressed, like people were talking about me or didnt like me, had no memory or wasn't able to concentrate but what finally got me to stop was I had thoughts of driving my car off of a hill that i drive down daily. I may suffer from pain so intensely that I cry all the time, can't leave my home at times or feel blue because of it, but I had never thought of taking my own life. I stopped immediately despite my docs orders."

Anonymous July 29, 2016

"I was prescribed Lyrica for Fibromyalgia pain. It didn't really help that much but it did wonders for the neuropathy in my feet caused by botched plantar fascitis surgery. The pain in my feet was horrible and the Lyrica took the sharp jabs and the feeling of nails being driven through my feet away. Still have some pain in my feet but not the intense, jarring me awake type pain. On the one occasion I ran out of Lyrica I got terribly sick, throwing up and diarrhea. So I don't run out!! Am taking 300 mg morning and night. Have recently lost 37 pounds, albeit with great effort, just like before Lyrica. Sometimes my vision is just a little blurry, but have learned to deal with it. I continue to take Lyrica for the benefits."

many problems (taken for 10 years or more) July 18, 2016

"I have had firbo for 16 years. My stupid doctor , who knew nothing about fibro, put me on some opiates and the one that worked was morphine. it was great, I loved it and then 2 months ago my doctor took me off morphine-paranoid I think about people overdosing.. I was furious with her and plan on changing doctors soon. I called Pfizer and qualified for no charge Lyrica . I received it 4 days ago, 150 mg . I sleep great with it and I also take xanex, trazadone, amitriptyline for sleep, I take it in the morning with my antidepressents and feel ok then I take it around noon and sometimes I feel really flaky. I need to gain about 10 pounds so I am not worried about weight gain.So far it is ok, still have pain but its not horrible.."

Egan1946 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

"Lyrica has done a great job on my Fibro pain, but I am trying to get off it primarily due to side effects. It has caused mymetabolism to slow down so I can't lose weight, chronic constipation, and terrible gas. I can't go around anymore farting everywhere I go. I'll live with the Fibro pain."

TMarie38 June 4, 2016

"Side effects are worse than Fibromyalgia pain. I've been taking Lyrica for two months. It was a miracle drug for the first few weeks. I've been living with Fibromyalgia for over 35 years and have tried eveything. Anti depressants, excersise, bio-feedback, acupuncture, narcotics, you name it. So I was excited about the dramatic pain reduction from Lyrica.But now I have developed severe muscle weakness, headache, abdominal cramping, acne and difficulty thinking clearly. I can barely hold myself up and I can't lift anything over a few pounds. I have asked my doctor if I can safely stop taking it. I'm just waiting g for him to return my call. I would rather just live with my horrible pain than take any more of these toxic drugs."

Bob 330 May 27, 2016

"I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 18 years ago. I stopped working a few years after due to the pain. I tried many medications so I could have some quality of life with my husband and 2 children. I spent most of my time in bed or on the couch because the pain was so debilitating. I was taking Ultram and Zanex but these just didn't take away the pain and then my doctor started me on Lyrica. I started feeling like a new person because slowly the pain started to decrease. The only side effect which could also be part of Fibromyalgia is with speech. I have trouble sometimes finding the words I want to say. I now take 75 mg 3 times per day and have been taking it for over 10 years. I'm so grateful to have my life back."

Catluver62-10 May 10, 2016