User Reviews for Lyrica

Learn more about Lyrica.

Lyrica Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Lyrica to treat Fibromyalgia

"I have suffered from headaches for years with relief with Excedrin. However, I was taking up to 8 at the onset to keep it from becoming a migraine. I'm really surprised that the Drs didn't tell my about "Excedrin abuse" since I told all that I was taking that much. However, when prescribed Lyrica for fibro pain, my headaches were gone to maybe 3 a week. So I highly recommend this for serious headache problems. Does help with Fibro pain. But, weight gain and dry mouth are my biggest side effect and is to the extent that I almost want to go back to 8 Excedrin a day. Hope this helps someone!"

Sandymc1963 May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this drug ten years ago and gave rave reviews then so would like to again. I was able to manage my FM through diet, exercise and adequate sleep through most of my 20's. One day I pushed myself too hard at work, and I got to what I call "final stage". Half hour after getting a shot of Dilodid in the ER I was still crying and writhing. Doctor came in and sat down looking worried. "There's probably nothing more you can do for me." I said "No, there's not." She sent me home with maximum doses of every painkiller on the planet-nothing got rid of the deep burning aching pain. It hurt to stand, sit, walk, lie down. I laid in bed for days not knowing what to do. I tried Lyrica. That pain has been gone ever since. I got my life back."

Painless A (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been on Morphine for fibro and it helped a lot but my doctor took me off it and I got on Lyrica. I only take one 75mg at night. I was taking it 3x day and I got so flaky I had problems with remembering things and had a HUGE appetite . I have always been slender and I did lose a lot of weight a few years ago so it was ok to gain weight again. But my appetite is still pretty big now. It helps with the pain. I had tried gabapetin and was taking it 3 times a day and started hallucinating . It was crazy so I got off that but it did help to get off morphine so I might go back on it and just take it twice a day. Since I am 70 and poor I get my Lyrica free. It helps a lot of people but then you have those crazy side effects."

Kelly 2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor prescribed Lyrica for fibromyalgia, this was the worst medication I have ever taken! Within a few days, my anxiety levels were through the roof . I had other side effects too but I can't recall what they were now - it's been a horrendous year."

Big A 47 May 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's sad when people write a drug of because their experience was negative. With nerve pain of any kind there are different levels of pain in which the body can get to, sometimes I have muscle spasms with and without pain, in My face, my legs, my back neck n shoulders, my eyes to. I even vomit as a result is severe pain. My vision is blurred my breathing and anxiety levels affected greatly, LYRICA make most of this go away. Please understand not all meds suit every individual so you have to try different things till one works for you. I also took lyrica in pregnancy n have a healthy chubby lil baby boy 100% a ok this med gave me part of my life back. Living with pain is crucifying but living with lyrica is a solution !!! For me anyway"

a.cai May 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Where to start with this drug ? I refer to it as "The Devil's drug" it was horrible could not function, swelling of my hands and legs and feet. My cognitive thinking was non existent , voice slurred sounded drunk .Could not function at all and could not get off this stuff fast enough. Just listen to the commercial on TV and all the side effects they throw in at the end. I would never take this again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor prescribed Lyrica for fibromyalgia. As I am very sensitive to medication, I was prescribed 75 mg at bedtime each night. The first month, I did feel better taking Lyrica. However, after about 4 months I began experiencing strange symptoms. I could not remember things. My brain was foggy. I wasn't myself and my pain returned. It was a no brainer, so I informed my doctor that I wanted off of this medication. I've been off Lyrica now for two months and my brain is back to normal. It was very scary to even think how little I was taking and what an impact it made on me. I am taking apple cider vinegar with honey every morning, exercising a little day, even if I don't want to, and resting when my body needs it."

LWSouthFl April 27, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on this Lyrica 200mg for @ least 2 yrs I still have a lot of pain from having the disease of Fibromyalgia & Chronic pain along with arthritis they raised it up to the highest dose & still hurt very much & I agree with the lady above u do gain weight trying to hang in there! Hope they find something better for me & every one else Blessings to all "

Sherry Brigham April 18, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Doc has me taking 150 mg morning and 150 mg evening. I have gained 50 pounds in 6 months. I am going to get him to take me off this. I went on a salad diet for a week with balsamic vinegar dressing (1 Tablespoon for a huge salad). I ate salad for lunch and dinner and drank nothing but water with lemon in it. I gained 2 pounds. I told this to my doctor and he said that I must have cheated. Why would anyone go on just a salad diet if they weren't serious about losing weight? I do not recommend this drug. I did start using cyclobenzaprine and it really helps with the leg cramps."

Rubydoobie April 17, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The pain from Fibromyalgia comes as MUSCLE cramping, tingling, twitching, spasms, etc. It is not a "nerve" illness per se, yet doctors think people are stupid and prescribe this anyway. It does nothing for the pain or fatigue from Fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue/M.E. Until people realize that legitimate users of meds such as Hydrocodone, morphine ER, etc are rarely abused by people in genuine chronic pain, doctors will continue to jeopardize patients lives by giving them meds like this as a placebo with nasty side effects. One doctor also put me on Paxil which gave me Serotonin Syndrome and I was in Intensive care for a week! This was when SSRI's first came out and I went into med journals. Avoid this for chronic MUSCLE pain."

PainfulPatty (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lyrica has been a big life changer for me!! Thank goodness I found a Dr who prescribed me this. I was in terrible pain and had bad fatigue to where I couldn't live life-- I have 3 kids who I couldn't keep up with. I can't say that everything is perfect now but it's pretty darn close! I hardly have any pain and my fatigue has decreased. I take 75 mg twice a day. I pray for everyone with Fibro to keep working at it until you find something that works."

Lezliew (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My own experience was awful. I did not gain weight but I had been suffering with depression because of all the pain I was in. My doctor prescribed these which in my option she should have never done specially when I was very down at the time. I've never experienced such thoughts in my life the only time I got a break from my own thoughts was when I was sleeping. If you are feeling down at all while taking these my advice go see your doctor ASAP do not continue with these not advisable to anyone with depression"

Jennifer200 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Blurred vision while driving 70, Nightmares, terrible balance, falling in the shower (took 30-min to get back up) my 4 & 6 year kids had to "rescue" me and turn off the water, Restless legs keeping me awake until all hours of the morning. 1 eye has twitched for 3 days now. Just to name a few of the side effects. This medicine needs to be an absolute last resort with doctors warning patients about all of these awful side effects prior to prescribing. I am a former licensed practical nurse, and this is unacceptable as far as side effects go."

MO-Mom (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst medicine ever. I gained nearly 50 pounds in four months. At first the medicine made me feel good even though I was gaining the weight fast. By the fourth month the pain was so intense it actually rivalled childbirth. I was not overeating and in fact I was working out more. I still cannot get the weight back off. If I could give this med a -10 I would."

C jor (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Confused most of the time."

Rose mark (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Doc put me on Lyrica 50 mg twice a day. The first two weeks were AMAZING, I was doing things I haven't been able to do in many years. HOWEVER, let me just say IT DOES CAUSE WEIGHT GAIN AND MINE WAS NOT FROM OVEREATING. In fact, I was hardly hungry at all and when I do eat, it is usually fruits and veggies. I was even working out every day. The last day I took Lyrica (I only took it for one month), it made me so freaking miserable, I went home in tears. My stomach swelled up like I was malnourished and every time I would bend over, I would throw up water or whatever I had just put on my stomach. It was AWFUL! In a month, I gained over 10 lbs. NOT COOL!"

GIGI HOLLOWAY February 7, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had a slipped disc with sciatic pain diagnosed before new year. Had been having heart palpitations, anxiousness, blurry vision and having suicidal thoughts. Felt could be due to the drugs I'm taking and turns out... it's all from lyrica. "

SlippedDisc January 21, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I hate this medication because it hasn't helped any of my joints or nerve pain. The only positive side is it helped my IBS and I don't get stomach attacks anymore. I still have so bad joint and muscle pain all the time, I take 75 mg twice a day and nothing seems to do the trick. I hate the side effects I get a real bad headache too."

hasbrogrl74 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 20, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wanted to share my experience in combining Lyrica and Neurontin for neuropathy symptoms; I've had fibromyalgia for 25 yrs. Neurontin was effective, but only at 1800 mg./day, which left me drowsy (fell asleep anytime I wasn't moving). My MD switched me to Lyrica (75 mg), but when I got to 3 per day, I rapidly gained weight - 10 lbs. in 2 wks! As a med student, I knew the two meds worked in a similar way and were metabolized similarly. I decreased the Lyrica to 1/ day, which stopped the weight gain, but didn't control the nerve pain, so I added back in one 300 mg. Neurontin per day (both at bedtime, to minimize drowsiness) - still not enough pain control. I added another Neurontin, and that was optimal for me. I take it all at bedtime."

Monkey8065 December 31, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Just diagnosed. Paid 100 for 30 day script. Scared to take it after reviewing comments here."

TT dubois December 28, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Terrible Med! Years after taking for a few weeks I still have seriously blurry vision. Seems to be permanent. Everything about this drug was far worse than the problems it was supposed to address. Do not take this toxic garbage. My Dr insisted I had to give it time to work... Any more time and I'd likely be dead or blind! Avoid like the plague and/or carefully read of myriad side effects and hope you can stop in time to avoid permanent problems from side effects. IMO this med s/b taken off the market!"

BuddyBoy _88 (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia. After taking the first dose my hands and feet swelled up and I couldn't bend my figures. If I tried the pain was intense. Then I stated to stagger. I wobbled when I tried to stand still. My mind fogged up. I felt drunk and hungry. I got a sandwich and it slipped off of my plate to the floor and I picked up and continued to eat, at least a couple of times. Every thing I ate that night tasted so good. I was so sleepy. When I got up in the morning there were things in places that should never of been. (ie: TV remote in the bathroom, food on the floor near my bed and other things misplaced. I felt like I had a hangover. NEVER AGAIN. I had the same experience with Gabapentin. Just say no!"

Juwa (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for fibromyalgia, I've tried it several times at low doses and have had a horrible experience. I can not explain this but within an hour of taking lyrica I get the most severe tooth pain, like every tooth suddenly has a hole in it ? I went to my dentist the first time NO HOLES?? My doctor thought it was amusing ? Bizarre. My real problem is the next morning after taking lyrica I have horrendous stomach pain for days, hurts to urinate, poop or fart. Feels like I really have to push to urinate, my doctor said sounds like stomach/intestine inflammation which is on the common side, so I've been taken off it. I will say I sleep like a baby after taking it!"

Sassy16 November 4, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Two attempts at treatment for fibromyalgia with Lyrica. Both had similar outcomes, in that the "cure" was worse than the illness. Side effects were overwhelming from the onset: increased fatigue, terrifying anxiety, tremors. In addition, this drug's efficacy was zero. I received no positive effects from Lyrica and discontinued use. Side note: I need to learn about illnesses that affect me and medications that I take or are offered to me. Doctors may mean well, but I need to know how they affect ME, not just what is printed in a package insert. And if a doc is not right for me, it's time to find her replacement."

GreatCaesarsGhost (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Lyrica about 5 months ago. It has worked great for relieving my pain from fibro, however I have experienced bladder retention at times and since I also suffer from anxiety, depression, and PTSD, over the last couple months, I have been having really scary thoughts of suicide. (I would never, ever do that. I know myself well enough to know that I would never do anything. I lost my husband that way.) I feel like it has increased my symptoms of depression and PTSD. I stopped taking it 2 days ago and while I am in a lot of pain, it's better than the side effects of this medicine. I'm going to my Dr in a couple days and I'm going to talk to her about another option."

Harley89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 26, 2016