User Reviews for GaviLyte-G to treat Bowel Preparation

GaviLyte-G has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 42 ratings for the treatment of Bowel Preparation. 57% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

GaviLyte-G Rating Summary

7.1/10 average rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Bowel Preparation.

Reviews for GaviLyte-G

PrayerPartner November 11, 2019

“Bad reviews made me very nervous. I followed low residue diet 3 days prior. On prep day, had smoothie then clear liquids rest of day. Mixed prep without flavor packet. Kept it cold. Tasted like salty water. Started prep at 6pm. 8oz. every 20 minutes husband prayed as I drank. Finished 7th glass before anything happened. Had bowel movement with pieces and mostly brown liquid. A few more liquid brown bowel movements. Settled down by 10:30pm went to bed. At 4am tummy sounded like a herd of dinosaurs moaning and rumbling but no release. Then at 5am started second half of prep. Drank 3 glasses before anything happened. Stool was still brown liquid. I was worried it wasn’t working fast enough. Finished all prep took a 20 minute walk. Liquid stools went clear by 8am. Praise the Lord. All is well. If you are reading this then I pray peace be with you and may you be blessed with the same easy and anointed experience. Nov. 2019.”

Mastermind · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

“The Gavilyte-G worked well for before my procedure. My first poop came shortly after my third dose. As far as the taste people complain about, the secret for a decent taste is to mix it well. After adding the flavor pack, SHAKE...SHAKE...SHAKE. Then add some water, shake the jug up. Add some more water, shake it up again. Repeat until filled. Before pouring it out to drink, move the jug around some.”

mjb123 March 3, 2019

“This is my second colonoscopy prep within one week. I prepped the first time by taking Suprep and it was AWFUL. The taste was terrible and made me so nauseous. So when my doctor ordered a second prep I was so scared and the fact that I had to drink 4 liters of a prep terrified me. But I am so glad I read the GaviLyte-G advice and tips on this tread because I mixed this prep with Crystal Light and IT IS A BREEZE!!! I wish I would have known this the first time around”

ROB60433 · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2018

“BE PREPARED!! It can hit like a tsunami! Try to be as close to the bathroom while waiting, put a thick towel down wherever you plan to be sitting, leave the bathroom door open and the light on, have soft TP available or wet wipes and if possible apply a protective barrier cream to your butt before it all starts. Remember when Mother Nature calls, don't ignore the warning signs and get to the bathroom. I started the 2nd dose several hours earlier to make sure it was done with me. Don't expect to get much sleep the night before the colonoscopy. I found the colonoscopy itself much easier than the prep.”

Rotor-Rooter October 23, 2018

“Prep for my first colonoscopy. Mixed as directed with luke warm water and started drinking. Taste got better after a while in the fridge. I was not looking forward to this based on everything I had heard. Started working about 1 1/2hours after I started drinking. Honestly not that bad. Taste like a thick Gatorade (I added the lemon pack it came with) I mean of course having diarrhea over night is not fun but I was expecting a horrible experience. Just start off with a good mind set at get it done! Good luck to all!”

LaurieC101183 April 7, 2015

“It's not bad at all! Just drink cold and mix with crystal light lemonade mix! It's just like drinking lemonade or lemon-lime Gatorade. Bowel movement about 30 minutes after first cup. I anticipated it to be so awful but just drink with the crystal light it's fine!!”

pumpfe March 28, 2012

“Just finished the full 4 liters of GaviLyte-G and must say it wasn't all that terrible of an experience. I prepared it the night before and put it in the refrigerator. About 45 minutes before starting my prep, I put it in the freezer and got it as cold as I could without ice forming. I drank it in 8-ounce increments about every 10-20 minutes. Best to drink it through a straw, hold your breath and gulp it. I always finished the entire 8 ounces in two "gulps". I also kept a piece of hard candy in my mouth the entire time and the taste of that pretty much overtook the awful taste of the liquid. Seems to have worked quite well as all bowel motions are clear. Now to just sit back and enjoy the rest of the day, and get up early and have my procedure.”

Rog February 6, 2020

“I read many comments about Gavilyte-C. Quite honestly, I was very apprehensive. After mixing the lemon crystal and water in the morning, I waited anxiously until 4pm to start the process. The last time I had a colonoscopy, I was given Movi-Prep. I was so sorry to hear it was off the market. It cost $ 80, but worked great. Now I was being given Galilyte-C, which cost $ 11. I was thinking this must be a third rate prep solution. I started taking my first gulp and then I chugged it right down. I was flabbergasted. It couldn't be any easier or more pleasant. I took it every 15 minutes, then exactly an hour later I was off to the bathroom. Do not be afraid of this prep solution. It just had a slight salty taste. I can't wait until my next colonoscopy.”

SLICE44 · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2018

“THE GOOD: It works well... THE BAD: Too well.... THE UGLY: Tastes awful, lemon or not. It's like a salty/chicken/soap/cattle stable smell flavor. Hard to drink that much. (Hard to drink that much of anything, much less this gross stuff) I chased it with ginger-ale shots. By glass 3 you will be getting rid of as much as you drink. It's miserable.. Not going to lie. 4 liters worth total so its actually MORE than a gallon. Took me 5+ hours... The first glass and the last glass are the hardest. Causes hemorrhoid flare-ups and extreme chafing rash. Not pleasant... But my doctor said it is the best cleanse you can do. Hence the "7" rating.. Very effective, but not pleasant.”

Jen · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2018

“In the midst of prep now. Finished the first half and have to get up at 4 am for the second. It works really well and I have to say I was very worried but it had been a pleasant surprise. Taste is not horrible, very tolerable and yes I am definitely getting cleaned out. No cramps or nausea. A little bloating but I would expect that from drinking this much of any liquid in such a short time. I have IBS and was worried I would have a lot of pain, but it’s been the opposite. I know others can have a different experience, but just wanted to share a positive one.”

shaunalev February 9, 2017

“I survived my prep....thank God for the tips I got from the internet or I couldn't have done it. Use a straw, two day prep was easier(less pressure), lemon drops immediately after drinking the glasses of prep took the bad taste away. I just sucked on the lemon drops for a few seconds after each glass. Thank you everyone who posted their advice!”

Nellie17 August 31, 2017

“Y'all, this stuff is terrible!!! However, I found a way to take it all down without any problems. Have one glass of your gavilyte, and then a separate glass of chicken broth. You can make your chicken broth from chicken bullion. Anyways, breathe deep and drink an 4oz glass all the way without breathing. And then take a big sip of the chicken broth without breathing. I know that this sounds weird, but it works. The only time you'll the nasty is the first sip you take of it. Then the chicken broth will cover it all up bc it's so strong. Hope this helps y'all like it did me!!”

Relieved234 · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2013

“I can’t overstress the importance of lemons during the prep. Get a bag of lemons and cut them in quarters. Suck on the lemon quarter, drink the solution through a straw, suck on the lemon, drink the solution, etc. You will not even taste or smell it. Also, schedule your exam in the afternoon. You will be able to drink 1/2 of the solution the night before and 1/2 in the morning. Very tolerable way to get through this!”

CDaddy April 20, 2017

“Taken for colonoscopy prep. Received the generic GaviLyte-G. I didn't use the lemon flavor packet. Prepared the container the night before and left it in the fridge. At 4:00 PM started drinking 8 ounces every 10 minutes. I don't find the taste off-putting at all, it's like slightly fizzy, slightly salty water. It started working after the 3rd dose (30 mins after starting). By the 7th/8th dose I was on an every 10 minute schedule - when I left the bathroom it was time for the next dose. 17 doses later (4 liters div by 8 oz) I'm confident I'm quite cleaned out; clear going in, as clear as I can imagine might be possible coming out. Lots of volume, but it works.”

Molly · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2019

“Second time drinking Gavilyte prep in a month, the first dose didn't work - I had minimum bowel movement. The second one not working either!!!! Now it is the morning of my colonoscopy......nothing again!!!! My doctor is going to hear about this!!!”

ET · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2018

“I just started bowel prep. I have been scared all day reading online comments about how bad it taste and how it makes people throw up and gag. THIS STUFF DOESN'T EVEN TASTE BAD??!?!?! It's actually borderline sugary and good. Wow... I can't believe I got scared of reading online comments. I'll never do that again. This stuff is not so bad whatsoever! I'll post another update when I start going to see if it causes cramps/bloating/pain/nausea.”

Bean · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 15, 2018

“Was prescribed the half-dosing method. Drank the 1st half in 1.5 hrs and it's been 4 hours and nothing. Stomach pain, headache, nausea and sporadic chest pains. Drinking lots of water thinking it will help but it is just making me more uncomfortable. Dread drinking the 2nd half tomorrow and hope I don't have to reschedule. It's not been a good experience.”

Brook607 November 16, 2015

“I don't know what the fuss is about with the taste or smell. I didn't even use the lemon flavor packet that it came with because it contains saccharin, and I hate the after-taste. I didn't refrigerate it. I drank it room temperature with no flavoring, but I did use a straw. It was not bad at all. It tasted like funny-tasting water that was a little salty. I drank it through the straw really fast, and I had a butterscotch hard candy after each glassful. The reason I didn't drink it cold was because it goes down easier at room temperature.”

jamie December 20, 2018

“The taste extreme horrible, it smell and taste like chemical . I can't hold it . I throw up few times taking it. I had to take 4 liters. The lemon package won't even helps. How come it smells and taste so bad ?”

Eara · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2019

“I drank 4 liters & the cleansing stopped after about 3 hours . During my colonoscopy the doctor told me I was not completely cleansed for the procedure, he made me feel as though I didn’t follow the directions for the medication & I did. And after 3 days I can still taste it in my mouth.”

DB · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2021

“First let me say that my low rating is because this didn’t work for me. I have to go back for a second colonoscopy with a different prep. It was moderately effective in that it made me go to the bathroom but not soon enough. Nothing happened after my first dose. It wasn't until half way through my second dose that it started moving things, so I wasn’t cleaned out in time for my colonoscopy. Maybe the medicine, maybe me, can’t say. What I will say is that the Crystal Light was a huge help! I used the lemon packet and the Crystal Light and I kept a green Jolly Rancher in my mouth while drinking. I also found that a lemonade chaser helped a lot too. I have a very hard time with liquid medicine of any kind so I was really dreading this. It’s still unpleasant but the JR, CL, and lemonade made it possible for me.”

Pleased as a peacock · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2017

“One the day before the colonoscopy I woke up and took my high blood pressure pill with a sip of water. I ate 2 gelatin at 3pm and drank a glass of Welch's white grape juice. I mixed the GaviLyte Solution the day before so it could get nice and chilled. At 5pm I drank the 1st 8 oz every 10 minutes for the next 3 hours until consumed. To my surprise it went smoothly. I didn't experience any nausea or vomiting but I felt a bit lightheaded at first. The trips to the bathroom came after about 45 minutes and I was able to catch a few zzzz's later in the night w/o too much interruptions. (I had a colonoscopy last year and found some precancerous polyps so I'm going back for another checkup today). GaviLyte G with lemon pack is the best!!! ”

Susie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2021

“This was the most horrible tasting stuff for my 3rd colonoscopy prep. I divided how many cups I had to drink every 10 -15 minutes and bought a cup at the dollar store to throw out when finished. It gave me gassy pains and did not do a good job. Fortunately, I was not rejected for the procedure. I did the split prep and felt so lousy I laid in bed with my clothes on. I got up and had a big splat in the toilet when I think I should have been finished until 4 AM for part two. At 4 AM I vomited up my first cup of the second half of the split prep. Now what was I supposed to do? I got about 4 more cups down and that was the best I could do. The Go lytely stuff is much better. I did not try the Crystal Lite but after drinking a laxative, I couldn't leave home. Drinking a gallon of Miralax another time did the best job. I will never take this as a prep again. It was so bad.”

Chicago 2018 July 31, 2018

“I got the prescription on June 25, 2018 for a July 30 colonoscopy--and without preparation--stored it in the refrigerator. The day before drinking it, I prepared it with tepid tap water and the lemon flavoring that came with it. I agitated the mixture until no powder or crystals were visible. I put the mixture back in the refrigerator. Using a measuring cup, a soft-drink cup with a lid and straw, and a minute timer, I consumed 8 oz of the GaviLyte-G in one continuous suck. Then I set the timer for a 10-minute rest. Once the ten minutes was up, I repeated this process until about half the bottle was consumed. I put the rest back in the fridge. I consumed the remaining half of the GaviLyte-G approximately four hours before the scheduled procedure. I found this process not very stressful and the taste of was fair, like a flat Gatorade, Fresca, or Pocari Sweat-which I really like.”

TheRuns · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2018

“Let me start off with the taste, It wasn't good, but it wasn't bad either. The first half went down fine. It worked almost immediately for me about a 1/2 hour, then the faucet was opened full flow. No bad cramping, no bloating. My doctor wanted me to spilt the dose and that is when the problem of drinking it down got to my head I guess the taste wasn't what my body was craving for at 3am. I was about to give up drinking it all, but found my way, I remembered my daughters Capri Sun drinks were clear and sugary, I'd take a sip of that before I guzzled the Gavilyte than a large sip after worked. Now off to get scoped, YAY!”