User Reviews for Minoxidil

Also known as: Hair Regrowth Treatment for Men, Hair Regrowth Treatment for Women, Rogaine, Rogaine Extra Strength, Rogaine Men's Extra Strength, Rogaine Women's, Ronoxidil

Learn more about Minoxidil.

Minoxidil Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Alopecia.

Reviews for Minoxidil to treat Alopecia

"30 now, been losing slowly since age 20. It got to a point where I felt I had to do something. Went on the heavy stuff propecia directly but it completely destroyed me in 8 days! Still haven't recovered completely now 1,5 years later. Thought I might as well give minoxidil a chance. Lost a ridiculous amount of hair fist weeks but after about 3 moths the results were showing. Now a year later there is no doubt it is doing its job! My hair line is distinct and my hair is a lot and I mean a lot thicker!"

30+ August 22, 2016

"I have been using minoxidil 5% for a few months. Its working but the hair growing in is thin and very weak. I have had hair issues from wearing clip in extensions and now my hair will not grow over a few inches. Where the extensions rubbed on my scalp, hair will not grow back there. This Medication does work but hair breaks off and grows in as a strange texture. Plus it the side effects make me queezy."

Cherish101 August 18, 2016

"Hi, I had started minoxidil 5 on 19th Jun along with dutasteride and follihair tablets. The results as on date i.e., 9th aug are visible specially on temples. Plenty of small brown hairs on both sides and on the forehead hairline. I am using it twice a day (Minza), 5 sprays each and taking the other medicines once daily. In the mid, I used Tugain but because of the alcohol content it reacted badly on my skin, given rashes and swelling on face. Now, I'm back on 'Minza 5 - No alcohol' and this is fab. No sideeffects, except a bit of scalp irritation. If one need, I can share the pics as well."

_garvgaurav_ August 9, 2016

"I startd suffering from male pattern baldness at age of 19 . I visited doc who prescribed me finax 1 mg tablet (one tablet per day) and minoxidil for one month. My hair stopped falling immediatley. I took finax for 3 more months then discontinued it since it has chance of some side effects though the chance of side effect is RARE. I felt some sort of pain in my testicle while having finax for more than 3-4 month although doctor said finax is not the reason and it is safe to continue it. After stopping finax my testicle pain also vanished. But Finax is good for stoping hair fall and it was fast. Minoxidil (5%, me using brand named as TINFAL) is best for regrowing hair. It really works if applied twice daily. If any side effect, consult doc."

Hi_113 June 5, 2016

"I have been using minoxidil from almost 4 years but not regularly I mean for 4 month I used minoxidil then I took a month break because it seemed useless but later I found that it may work after 3-4 months of usage. I have been on finisteride also but the side effect of finisteride which is erectile dysfunction and chances of impotency too though its chances are not too high but still I love children more than my hair so now again I started using minoxidil alone, now it have been a month that I started minoxidil again and I will test it but review from my cousins was very positive, though my finger crossed, I wish it will be helpful. By the way hair concern women more than men. Please if someone can assure me that yup it's work kindly do so"

Sabaun khan (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

"working great"

shiva sahu (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2016

"Please be careful. I used the 4% for 2 months and my blood pressure went up toe 258!. It worked on my hair, but I was dizzy and had headaches. When I figured out what was going on, I washed my hair and stopped using it. I could not find the blood pressure warning in the current literature but found it in a 2003 medical blog. Rogaine has not been tested on people over 65, and in rare cases it can raise your blood pressure. In 4 days since stopping, my pressure is going down and currently is in the 150's. The 2003 blog said it would take between 1-2 months to be completely out of your system. I would recommend anyone with high blood pressure, to stay away from it."

sunnygbird March 11, 2016

Rogaine Women's (minoxidil): "I have been using the 5% minoxodil for 4 months now, and I have all kinds of new little hairs. A lot of them are coming in very dark. The top of my scalp is already much fuller."

I am so pleasantly surprised (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

Rogaine (minoxidil): "I noticed after I had finished my chemo and got rid of my hep c type 6c . I started seeing lots of hair on the bathroom floor after blow drying. It was coming out in droves, mainly from the front and sides . This was in 2012, sep My hairline was receding, I started getting bald spots in the front and sides. I also noticed that my hair was very weak.I started using Rogain 2012 I saw an advertisement about Rogine for men. I was 63 at the time . Before my chemo I had lots of hair. When I picked up the box I read on the box that it will not grow hair on the frontal lob. I said to myself this will work, the same way I said about my chemo. Well it did work front and sides. Made my hair stronger too"

Scorp077 February 26, 2016

Rogaine (minoxidil): "I started to notice thinning in the front of my hair in my late 30's. Recently it was more than I wanted. So I went to a major pharmacy and retail chain and purchased the generic Rogain extra strength. For the first month there was no change. But I heard that it really doesn't start working until the second month of applying it to your scalp. Next week is officially month two. I applied Rogaine twice a day, once in the morning, and once before I went to bed. This last week I noticed more hair growth. It works. Granted it wasn't like I suddenly had the hair of a 15 year old boy. Where my hair was thinning it has grown in and the folicles appear thicker. I gave it a 7 out of ten, because the growth is not a huge amount, but there is some"

Typical Male (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2016

Rogaine Men's Extra Strength (minoxidil): "This was recommended by my dermatologist. I've been using rogaine for about ten years, I think I am getting results so l have stuck with it for so long. Although it improves the health of the thinning areas and may even slow down the process of male pattern baldness, l don't see any hard evidence that dead hair follicles are revitalized. In fact it is my belief that once a hair follicle dies, like anything else, it dies. l'm 59, and l believe my hair still looks good feels good and the balding process has been at the very least slowed to an acceptable level."

ray267 February 11, 2016

"Amazing. But do not over dose your scalp. I was impatient and used four droppers and it works SO well. Then I went back to the proper directions. I want this product. If side effects it may be the cleaning. It helps clean the clogged follicle from fungus? Or what? Anyone know? My hair is much much better. Feels like hair Not Fuzz. I bought mine CASH!! Well worth it. Several bottles in case misused I'm not deprived from its amazing benefits. "

Hope Graham (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2016

Rogaine Women's (minoxidil): "I have been losing my hair gradually for the last 10 years my hairdresser said something about it then I started noticing my hair was falling out by the handfuls so I got a little nervous and bought Rogaine for women wow this stuff is amazing I can't believe how thick my hair is after all these years I don't know why I didn't try this product sooner but now I am and I'm glad I did I haven't had any side effects from it all go I highly recommend washing your hands after applying it to your hair to prevent transferring it onto your face"

Annemarie1968 January 25, 2016

Rogaine Extra Strength (minoxidil): "When I used rogain for the first time I instantly started to see results within 2 weeks My hair was filling in and strengthening but when I reached my third bottle in the case, I notice it smelled a little stronger then the others did and it dried and made my hair weaker then slowly start to fall out."

Cajuan January 9, 2016

"Used as directed for six months and saw no results whatsoever. Don't waste your money."

Cornie December 16, 2015

"I have used MX-2 for 1 year . my hair volume increased,. when i stopped using solution my hair again started falling and my hair line is going back,no use using all dat stuff"

niri (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 28, 2015

"I started plucking out my eyebrows when I was 14 (15 years ago) and when I was about 17,they completely stopped growing back! I have been contemplating getting my eyebrows tattooed for a while now. About 3 weeks ago, I started reading reviews and advice about Minoxidil and if it might actually help me after this many years. I decided, what the heck, it can't hurt! I bought Equate Minoxidil 5% (for men) and I've been really strict on my routine. After about a week, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me bc I started seeing very fine tiny blonde hairs growing. Then,after the second week, I definitely saw them growing! I'm so stoked and I highly recommend Minoxidil(generic is just as good as Rogaine). :-)"

AshleyAndJJ (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2015

Rogaine Women's (minoxidil): "This product has been great. Because my hair is short, and my condition was not extreme, my product has lasted about 6 months before running out. I used as directed at the beginning using daily, then backed off to every other day. Hair is getting thick and edges filling in."

Val's Hair September 28, 2015

"31yrs old, single. Slowly been losing hair for 10 years, but last couple years very noticeable. It makes me very self conscious because I was always the best looking guy most places I would go,but I was starting to feel ugly, lost my swag and its all because of hair loss. I think about it 24/7 of everyday. I've tried everything to try and stop it from serums, the lasercomb, propecia. 5 months ago I decided I would try one last thing or just accept my thining head of hair and hope I would find a girl that was ok with the top of my head turning into a horseshoe of baldness. I had an initial shed which was tough to go through but I can tell its working and I am so happy, I will continue with it and hope it keeps getting better."

thining hair September 22, 2015

Rogaine (minoxidil): "I have been using rogaine foam for 4 months. It is unbelievable how much this stuff has worked for me, it took 4 months to really be able to tell. I use twice a day. I had thin hair all over and have applied all over my scalp and in most places it is now a little bit thicker. I wear my hat less. Slowly gaining confidence back, I'm excited everyday when I wake up to see a fuller head of hair rather then cringing at the mirror first thing in the morning."

30 yrs old September 13, 2015

"I have had an amazing experience with the introduction of minoxidil to my hair loss regiment. I use this medication in conjunction with, Saw Palmetto (oral), Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) and biotin. The laser and Saw Palmetto was effective in curbing the loss and gaining some slow regrowth. I noticed a huge spike in re growth and my hairline returned to normal after 3 months on minoxidil. The over all volume, density and hair strength has changed. Also, the amount of hair I lose now is minimal with the minoxidil added. I have been suffering from mild AG for about 2 years. Luckily, the minoxidil was the master at getting all of my hair back. The other treatments helped but the minoxidil is the work horse."

Gramjé (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had thin fine hair all my life then at 55 my hairdresser said I was losing it. I got rogaine and wish now I had 20 years ago. My hair is thicker from more hair. I use men because it is 5%. Show me a study anywhere that women's rogaine needs to be lower. The assumption they make is it will drop womens BP too much. In fact I have high blood pressure take medicine for it and the 5% has given me nothing but full hair. I started using it 5 months ago and started getting results showing at 2 months. I had a friend that I could see her scalp and she started on 5%. It is about 5 weeks and already her scalp is getting better. I have no side effects but she says her scalp tingles."

marytexas55 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2015

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have discontinued use of contraception pill and started losing hair at crazy rate, it was too depressing seeing all my long brautiful hair disappear. I have never experienced shedding like this not after both my pregnancies. Just a week ago finally consulted a hairloss proffessional, who recommended Minoxidil. Its not my imagination!!! Shedding is slowing down and its been a week. Use twice daily. I find thou I need to apply couple hours before washing my hair as it makes it look greasy"

Marynabod (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2015

"I only used Rogaine for 2 days. At the end of my second day I developed a headache, I took an Excedrin and my headache became a full blown migraine, I broke out in a cold sweat and got shaky. I then realized the Rogaine has a drug interaction with both the asprin and acetaminophen in the Excedrin. I had to wait it out. As a migraine sufferer I cannot use this drug for the side effects. I am so disappointed. I purchased the 3 month supply."

natstruffle (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2015

"I have only been using Rogaine for two months now, but I can tell that it is working. A few things I have learned: do not overuse this product! Stick to the 1 ml regardless if you have hair loss all over or not! It's not worth the side effects. I wasn't sure how much to be applying because I know they say only use 1 ml, but since I have diffuse thinning all over, I feel like I need to apply it in back as well. Anyway I am going to use less of it and try to apply more evenly. I hear that it works all over regardless of how much you apply, hope this is true. I have headaches if I use too much. "

Rose30 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2014

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate