User Reviews for Minoxidil topical to treat Alopecia

Also known as: Rogaine, Ronoxidil, Rogaine Extra Strength, Rogaine Women's, Rogaine Men's Extra Strength

Minoxidil Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Alopecia.

Reviews for Minoxidil

Rogaine (minoxidil): "I do not recommend this product to use for a thinning widows peak i reckon the stuff actually gave me alopecia and I know this for a fact because all the areas I started using rogaine are now the spots I have big bald patches. I sought rogaine to help save my hair and instead it has destroyed it. I may never get my follicles back again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2019

Rogaine (minoxidil): "Always had very fine fair hair, started to thin in late thirties, became quite noticeable early sixties. Doctor suggested Rogaine for women, once a day foam. Within 3 months had noticeable improvement, new fine hair covered bare spot in front. No side effects, no itching. Good product and reasonable cost."

Optomist (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 27, 2019

Rogaine (minoxidil): "Rogaine works better than nothing. It works pretty well for the first 9 mos - 1 year and then it really slows down. It seems that the Rogaine hair falls out if you forget to use it for a few days, and then starts again as soon as you start using it again. They also have these stickers on the women's liquid boxes advertising a $10 or $25 refund. Don't believe it! They never pay and if you contact them about it, they say they will do it, but again never pay you the refund. Don't buy it based on the refund."

Violetta (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 3, 2019

"I’ve been using Minoxidil 5% for 2 weeks and I can see that hair got worse and lost more than ever ,my scalp becomes crazy itchy!!! I do not recommend it at all!!"

Yasser January 11, 2019

Rogaine Women's (minoxidil): "My hair has been falling out since college - I'm 74. Although it falls out, it seems to regrow but at a declining rate and is now thinning. I thought it was hormonal and have asked every doctor I see - GYM, Dermo, Cardio, Primary. Finally my rheumatologist said to try Rogaine. [She uses it.] The instructions say that results may not be apparent for 4 months. I've used it once to twice per day for 1 1/2 weeks, and my hair has stopped falling out!! I'm amazed! When I brush my hair in the morning, there are 1-2 hairs in my brush rather than a handful. Thank you, Rogaine!"

JBP (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2019

"Minoxidil really workssss"

Aadi December 9, 2018

"Worst product. After using it for 2 week I lost 25% of my hair and then there was infection on my scalp. Please don't buy it. Don't use it. Its the worst product."

Anandi (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2018

Hair Regrowth Treatment for Men (minoxidil): "I've been using Safeway signature 5% minoxodil now for about 2 months now, and my hair is falling out more than ever, Since I started using this product. In addition it cost me $45 bucks. So if you want to hold on to what remaining hair you may have, avoid this product at all expense."

Jim September 9, 2018

"After a month of minoxidil 5% use I've experienced erectile dysfunction, complete loss of sensitivity in the penis, zero libido, extreme weight gain, facial bloating, persistent tachycardia, swollen throat glands and thyroid, bloodshot eyes, problems with digestion and dark circles under my eyes. Most of the side effects have gone but the sexual dysfunction has persisted 3 months after stopping the treatment. Minoxidil is just as dangerous as Finasteride, beware and never touch this stuff. It has recently been proven to block the 5ARII and also severely suppress androgen receptors. If you think it's only a topical that can do no harm, please consider that just a couple of miligrams that are absorbed systemically can do that. Wish I could give this -10/10. It needs to be banned."

YoungGun (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2018

"I used minoxidil for alopecia for only 3 weeks and I got prostate inflammation , pain, erectile disfunction and depression. I stopped using it, and I hope my problems will disappear.... no more....."

mickey21 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

"I had good results with minoxidil in 2.5 months. It really works for me."

Tazzi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2018

"Destroyed sex drive and no change to hair."

Rambo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2018

Rogaine (minoxidil): "I had used for 2 weeks before visiting dermatologist. I had a horrible side effects - itching, dermatitis... my scalp was burning, drained. So bad. My Derm stopped it right away. Now I'm on Spironolactone over 2 weeks. Not much difference yet .. hope working."

Sum (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

"I had a small amount of thinning. Thought this could help me. Used this for a month. Most of my hair fell out. The rest broke off & turned to straw. I now wear hats. Couldn't be unhappier."

Stressed out (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

"21 year old male with slowly progressing MPB since 20s. Used once daily 5% for 4 months and shedding was reduced. No objective data about effectiveness but I would say it reduced shedding and progression a little. Stopped due to palpitations and chest discomfort (not any other side effect). My advice is to keep in mind this is a long term treatment and increased shedding could be seen the first month (my case). Another thing to remind is that effectiveness can only be appreciated within 4 to 6 months of usage. Decided to stop slowly for two months and then stop completely. Approximately 2 months have passed since no minoxidil and shedding had increased a lot, but seems to be more stable now (as it was before starting any treatment). Keep in mind any result obtained WILL BE LOST AFTER 3 Months. Thinking about starting finasteride, but luckily not in a hurry. Best of luck to all the balding men reading."

MedstudentnotfromUS (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2018

"I started having male pattern baldness. I starting losing hair in my 20s and I could clearly see that my hair was going for good, but I knew I was still in time if I could find something that could keep it, I didn't need anything for regrowth, only for it to stop falling. And that's what minoxidil did for me, I didn't get more hair, but I kept all my hair and it got thicker and now the hairs that fall have a root again. I'm 26 now and I can say that without minoxidil I would be bald because at 23 I was 3 months without it and it starting falling LIKE CRAZY... I guess I will use it forever or until something better comes"

International_Young (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2018

"I have used it for 3 month minoxodil but it is not working for me may be but I have used for stress hair loss. I have a lot of personal stress which is the reason why I needed to use this product. Or maybe it is not suitable for me. I must say everybody that before trying minoxodil remove all thing like stress, use proper diet , and other and than if necessary then only try it"

Anonymous November 1, 2017

Rogaine (minoxidil): "I started Rogaine and Propecia about a year ago. I apply Rogaine 2x a day morning and night. I have noticed thickening of my hair and I do have a 6 month before and after picture my dermatologist took. She said I am her "poster child" for this treatment... we were both very excited! I have absolutely no noticeable side effects from either medication. Sex drive is the same as it was before medication. I also use Regenpure DR, NT, and conditioner. I wash my hair once daily as it is needed because the Rogaine foam creates a stiffness of my hair (like gel would if applied) and I have a problem w/ dandruff. My dermatologist prescribed me triamcinolone acetonide lotion to help with itchiness which I apply with a Qtip. (1/2)"

JMC41996 July 30, 2017

"I used it for 4 months. Between months 3 and 4, my libido was completely gone, my penis smaller, and my erection quality terrible.....in the rare case I was able to achieve one. Its now been almost 5 months since stopping the drug and all my side effects remain with no improvement. This over the counter hair loss medicine has made me asexual. I saw the endocrinologist and he believes that minoxidil caused these side effects. There is a research article titled "minoxidil may suppress hormone receptor functions" published in 2014. He believes that my androgen receptors have been suppressed and that is why my hormone tests are all normal. Unfortunately there is no treatment besides discontinuing the drug and waiting x months/years...if ever."

Gergy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

"Been using regaine for two years and 6 months first year was twice a day now only once per day. My hairline has got worse over this period and I can't say it's been worth using this at all."

Jay524744432 July 21, 2017

"I originally used the liquid twice a day but switched to the once a day foam when it came out - the foam was pretty useless to me because the majority of the stuff just got stuck through my hair rather than getting on my scalp. Unfortunately my hair seemed to suffer far more - which was heartbreaking and I've gone back to the lower dose twice a day hoping it's not too late to turn it around."

Squirrel775599 June 23, 2017

"I used minoxidile to grow a beard , I mean I had no real beard before . It took me long but I had it . It was magic but a longtime waiting and using minuxidile is a bit troublesome ."

iwasapatienttoo June 17, 2017

"Hello guys I m really really worried about hair loss. I have been using minoxidil solution from last 18 days and applying it in the portion where i m loosing hairs. I have gone to dermatologist for hair loss problem he recommended this minoxidil solution 5% and vitamins capsule I want fast result by using this medication but it showing result but very slow I am very much tensed I want my hair back my hair is really important in my life. ...after using minoxidil solution I have small small hairs which are visible if we notice them minutely so I don't know it working or not"

Saktiman June 12, 2017

Rogaine (minoxidil): "It is effective - I noticed less hair in shower. But I had to stop because it makes my head itch and I end up loosing hair because either I am scratching or brushing. I must be sensitive to one of chemicals. I had the same problem with 2% solution. I have to look for other way to keep my hair - I envy those who can tolerate. :("

oldladyQ June 2, 2017

"Used for 75 days. Previously the rate was 50-80 hairs per day which remains same. Illusion occur sometimes like hairline increased. Don't know what to say but not working yet. Mind say stop it but somewhere there is hope. Will wait till 6 month....."

1065843 May 31, 2017