Generic Name: Minoxidil Topical Foam (mi NOKS i dil)
Brand Name: Rogaine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 3, 2020.
Uses of Minoxidil Topical Foam:
- It is used to treat hair loss.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Minoxidil Topical Foam?
- If you have an allergy to minoxidil or any other part of minoxidil topical foam.
- If you are allergic to minoxidil topical foam; any part of minoxidil topical foam; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you do not have a family member who has had hair loss.
- If your hair loss is sudden or patchy, or if you do not know why you have hair loss.
- If the patient is a child. Do not give minoxidil topical foam to a child.
- If your hair loss was caused by childbirth. Do not use minoxidil topical foam for hair loss caused by childbirth.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take minoxidil topical foam with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Minoxidil Topical Foam?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take minoxidil topical foam. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not put on red, swollen, infected, irritated, or painful skin.
- Do not use other scalp drugs or hair care products while using minoxidil topical foam.
- It may take several months to see full effect.
- This medicine may not work for all people who use it. Talk with the doctor.
- Call your doctor if you have unwanted facial hair growth.
- This medicine may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If minoxidil topical foam is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Not all products are approved for women. If you are not sure about your product, talk with your doctor. Talk with your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding.
How is this medicine (Minoxidil Topical Foam) best taken?
Use minoxidil topical foam as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take minoxidil topical foam by mouth. Use on your scalp only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- If minoxidil topical foam gets in the eyes, rinse with cool water.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Turn the can upside down to use. Put foam onto a cold surface like a dish. If putting into your hands, rinse your fingers in cold water and dry them before use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Chest pain or pressure or a fast heartbeat.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- A big weight gain.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Scalp irritation.
What are some other side effects of Minoxidil Topical Foam?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Change in color of hair.
- Change in hair texture.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Minoxidil Topical Foam?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from heat and sunlight. Do not puncture or burn even if it seems empty.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about minoxidil topical foam, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about minoxidil topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 124 Reviews
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents
- FDA Alerts (1)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.