User Reviews for Finasteride

Also known as: Propecia, Proscar

Learn more about Finasteride.

Androgenetic Alopecia 49 reviews 1 medications

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia 23 reviews 15 medications

Summary of Finasteride reviews 72 reviews 5.0

Reviews for Finasteride

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. I started this drug mid January 2016-March 2016 I've had depression anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia thoughts of suicide, headaches. I got better by September 2016 but my body crashed again in the October (another common side effect from this drug) got better by Christmas but since February 2016 I've gone down hill. Please don't take this use topical or have a hair transplant."

Gary35 April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "29 now, started losing my mane since 22 and now have lost most of my crown area with receding frontal hairline. Upon doctor recommendation and Going by the positive effects regarding hair growth which I have read and heard I took the chance and started taking 1mg finasteride back in 1st April 2017; just been 10 days to be exact and started noticing lack of sex drive, poor erection from 2nd day onwards. This has to be the most anti erection drug a man can have.. I would suggest everyone to NEVER ever opt for this if you value your masculine traits. I am going to stop it now and will never take the same again ever. Already scheduled for a Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) HT next week. Hence, either opt for minoxidil only treatment or transplant but refrain from this."

SG1488 April 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Have been taking this med for about a year now. Urinary function is much better but the side effects make me wonder if the benefits are worth it. My penis has gotten much smaller, no erections at all, and when I do ejaculate, the quantity is dramatically less than before and is now just a small amount of clear fluid. Will talk to my Dr. about options."

Small Peter April 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I take this for both BPH and alopecia Just would like to say a few things about posters who have had bad experience with the drug, either side effects or lack of response. 1) if you are having testicular pain, for god sakes don't just stop the drug. You may have epidydimits or other problem that needs to be evaluated quickly by the urologist/MD that gave you the Rx. Young people take note. 2)when you are taking a combo drug of finesteride with an alpha blocker such as Flomax (tamsulosin) and you start having side effects such as dizziness, you really don't know which of the two may be causing it. Again, this is a subject that should be discussed with your MD and 3) If your doctor didn't tell you this, I will. Finesteride takes TIME to work months before seeing significant improvement"

medken63 April 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: "After 2 days on Propecia I start to feel heavy brain fog. I didn't now about this side effect but I found out on the internet that it is a common side. I can tell you that feeling is worse than the sexual sides effects. I wish no one to feel that horrible feeling."

ChrisHag March 10, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "Hi guys. I'm the son of a man who went bald at the age of 18 and I'm one of 4 brothers. I staring taking Propecia at the age of 39 and I'm 51 now. Not only has my hair stronger and thicker like I've lost none, I'm the only brother now with a full head of hair. I had my first child at age 42 and have just had my fifth 4 months ago. I have never had any of the side effects that others have written about on here. If I had my time over again I would do exactly the same thing except maybe have started taking this pill a little earlier so that my hair wouldn't have thinned so much before I starting taking it (The thinning has totally reversed). I have and would recommend this treatment to any other male who like to feel good about themselves."

Pak Paul February 21, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: "When I turned 50, I went in for a physical. The doctor noticed my hair was thinning and recommended Propecia. That was 14 years ago and today I have a very full head of hair, especially for a 64 yo. Two issues, one it must be taken religiously. I take it at least 350+ times a year. Two, its not cheap. Generics are available on the internet. My brother was born 10 months before me. Physically, we are very similar. During our youth, our hair was almost identical. Today, he is balding, badly. Side affects. Shortly after I starting taking it, I DID have trouble getting an erection, but the problem went away after a number of weeks. I was thinking of quitting, but just wanted to give my body a little more time to adjust. And it did. No regrets"

Longan (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "Hi guys. I'm 30 years old, and have been slowly receeding and balding for about 6 years. I'd say I've lost and inch and a half from my hairline, and my crown has thinned alot. Not quite a bald patch, but definitely thinning out. I read about propecia a couple of years ago, and the horror stories put me off, despite the fact that I REALLY want to keep my hair. A workmate pointed out how thin I am on top a couple of weeks ago which gave me a kick up the arse. I have been on propecia for a two weeks now, and my hair loss has stopped already! When I showered before, my hands would have at least 30 hairs on them, now 1 or 2. I was terrified of the sexual side effects, but I can honestly say I've felt next to none (very slight testicle ache)."

Jonesy66 February 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Age 63, using finasteride for 2 years and no other medications. Took many months for improvement in urination and now much improved though definitely not what it was when I was young. I am no longer scouting for spots to stop in a 30 minute walk. I typically sleep about 5 hours at night before having to get up. Other changes since beginning dosage: ejaculation volume has decreased, occasional but rare loss of erection during intercourse. No other changes noticed, in particular no loss of libido, and no mental changes noticed. After doing the research physiological effects seem to be the same at 1mg (for hair loss) as 5mg (for BPH) so I quarter the 5mg pills and take a 1/4 pill per day."

BPH sufferer February 4, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I've started taking it when I was 24. Now I'm 31 and for the first time ever I started feeling dizziness when waking up too fast from the hammock or the couch, but not when waking up from bed. That's all. I never had any problem with libido, ejaculations or any sexual related issue. I have an active sexual life and I never had any problem. I exercise a lot. I don't take any other medication. My hairdresser noticed that my hair was getting stronger. I had no hair lose after starting the intake. Hard to say what would happen if I quit it. BUT I have a recommendation for all users, NEVER EVER take more than 1mg a day. Never. In order to do this, I mark in the blister which day I started the intake and then I use that as a reference."

7753508114 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I am 24, started around age 19 after serious thinning and a lot of frontal hair loss. This drug has made my hair loss stop completely so far. No side effects that I notice, I take half a pill every day (.5mg)"

Steve Robert February 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I am 54 years old. I've been taking Finasteride...along with Flomax for almost 4 months....after being diagnosed with bph few months earlier. It has helped tremendously with urination issues. 3 month checkup went well. I will go back in Sept. of 2018 ( one year from start of meds). I have had no side effects until recently. Sexual desire is still very high....no problem getting and maintaining an erection. But about 3 months in, was noticing less and less ejaculate to where now its almost nothing. The feeling is still intense...but the well is going dry per say. I also seem to get fatigued a little more than normal. I will be consulting my urologist about this in very near future as instructed by him."

Biker62 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "Been taking this medicine since I was 23 and found I had a receding hairline. My hairline has stayed mostly at the same level for the grace of this medicine. No brain fog, no low sex drive. You just need to do exercise and keep a positive attitude. In fact it was exactly what I did and feel like it was the most productive 2 years of my life (I was doing an engineering master). If you worry about the hair give it a shot, and divert the time spent on worrying to something else important. Cheers"

No side effects January 30, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: "I'm 24 with mild receding hair, still have a full head of hair but beginning to recede on the crown and round temples. Started Propecia on the 23/12/16 had no side affects up until last night, at no point did I look up reviews of side effects of the drug as I did not want other people's experiences to play on my mind. Last night, noticed a tender pain in my testicules and it's continued throughout the whole of today, I am now stopping this drug immediately. I've spent the whole of day with aggressive pain the mentioned above area, been projectile vomiting and had diarrhoea. This drug has not worked for me and by reading others comments I will certainly review people's opinions rather than trusting there findings."

Richard Jameson December 28, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "This drug can cause SEVERE cognitive impairment, depression, total erectile dysfunction. If you value your life stay away. Post Finasteride Syndrome. It's real."

Bill Hatcher December 24, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Shrinks prostate. No effect on sex drive. Less ejaculate. After prostate shrunk & urine stream improved, cut back to 1 pill every other day as maintenance."

Eddyy (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 14, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Was given Finasteride as a trial as Contiflo (Flomax) did not solve issue completely. I stopped after 5 days as Finasteride was giving me frequent palpitations. very unsettling. I think the other well-known effect was slowly starting to take effect as well. Enough reason for me to stop and rely on Contiflo for the time being."

Mid 40 (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I was on 1mg about a year ago on and off for about 6 months. I only had slight pain and discomfort in my lower abdomen/testicles for the first few days. Then my morning wood disappeared and sometimes came back. At about the 6th month i noticed bad shrinkage/ed/low ejaculate volume. I stopped taking it and after 1 month of seeing no improvement, I was breaking down. I was a tall athletic 30 yr old man and feeling like i had nothing between my legs. Its almost a year since I stopped. I'm about 90% back to my old self (I think I'm one of the "lucky" guys). I thought the number of negative comments were b.s. (they're not). The percentage of men being damaged must be much higher than reported. Don't take the risk."

nattyallday (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 5, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "This is pure poison for a man...it destroys him right from his very core. I took just one pill 1mg of finpecia..had the worst possible screwed up life during the first few weeks..later kept seeing improvements regarding all aspects....I think will all due respect this drug should be banned from the market. It plays a game of abacus with ur hormonal levels and believe me its never ever...worth it, don't even try one pill from a mate. I'm still recovering, been 9 weeks off...still have get myself back from this weird phase of my life. I wish there were negative rating for this drug...like i'd give "-10" for this piece of trash. Stay away this at all costs...Cheers GDV"

GDV92 September 30, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I am twenty years old & started Finasteride about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I went to my dermatologist because I have thinning along my hairline and my main goal is to prevent it from getting worse and potentially regrow some. I rated it a 5 as of now because it's still too early to tell if this medication is working. Take my rating as neutral. My main point for writing a review as of now is to note that I have no noticeable side effects. My sex drive is the same, I don't feel fatigued, and so on. I am also using Minoxidil foam 2x per day. I have been consistent with Minoxidil for about 10 days now. I will update again in a couple months!"

Josh96 (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: "Don't take this drug. I used it for a few months and it killed my libido. I did get some noticeable hair re-growth during that time, so at least that worked. It became very hard to get an erection and I became completely disinterested in sex. I've read accounts that some people never regained their libido, and suffered lasting erectile dysfunction. This is not natural. Your libido is part of who you are, and so is hair loss. Be a man and accept the loss of your hair as part of who you were meant to be."

Anonymous August 31, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I was previously on Tamsulosin and this worked well but i had side effects, dizziness, fatigue , red faced when doing anything physical, also palpitations. change to Finasteride it has not helped with urine flow and i am getting up 2 to 3 times a night, becoming very depressed, short tempered and fatigued .also tingling in fingers i know it takes time to build in your system , ive been on this about 4 months, the Tamsulosin made a difference after a month . need to go back to the doctor..."

rumours72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I am taking this since last 4 years.1mg tab from Dr.Reddy and it cost less than $3 for a month in India. It's a wonder drug and it stopped hair loss and also to have good thick hair. Wish I should have started early. I had very little loss of libido and think it's good for me to concentrate on other activity. No erection problem so far but yes reduced morning wood. I am happy with the results."

Nick_india July 14, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "Been using it for 15 years. I've lost a little hair since then, but it slowed down dramatically."

Mike--- (taken for 10 years or more) July 12, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "Have been taking proscar cut into quarters for 15 years. Started when i was 17 and noticing my hair juat beginning to thin and recede. I am now 32 and my hair is thicker and more abundant then when i started. I had minimal side effects (decreased ejaculation) which was an easy price to pay for the results. I have more hair then any of the friends i grew up with and i am convinced i would be completely bald by now if it wasn't for this drug."

Bc123 (taken for 10 years or more) June 27, 2016