User Reviews for Finasteride

Also known as: Propecia, Proscar

Learn more about Finasteride.

Androgenetic Alopecia 57 reviews 1 medications

5.2
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia 28 reviews 15 medications

4.9
Summary of Finasteride reviews 85 reviews 5.0

Reviews for Finasteride

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Prescribed the finasteride to help with my urge to urinate. On taking it I found it to cause dizziness and pain in the neck area right side."

Vipcol September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Update to earlier posts. I have now been off this medicine since June and finally my problems with side effects are all gone. My semen has come back to normal amounts, and my erections are also back! YEA!"

Small Peter September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: "I have used for 2 years and I have a little bit less sexual activity but it helps me to be more active in my work. My hair is very much better and I have a little dizziness when getting up fast. Totally I am totally satisfied ."

Mey206 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "Was prescribed propecia upon seeking hair-loss counselling at a hair loss clinic. My dosage was set at 1/2 mg a day (age 19-21, now 28). Positive effect: Receding crown line reduced. Negatives: significant increase in irregular ejaculation, sex drive, attention, mood, anxiety. Conducted my own research into the drug and quickly ceased taking it. I then experienced further deterioration of sex drive, erection problems and anxiety, which took approximately 1.5 years to balance back out (with regular exercise and healthy dieting). IMO this drug is effective for men 45+ whose testosterone levels have naturally decreased, therefore experience less side effects. HEALTHY SOLUTION: FUT transplants coupled with blood plasma scalp injections!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I am 29 and was/am seriously going bald. Up until the 10 month mark I didn't really see any momentous changes. A slow increase in hair along with a couple of mild shedding experiences. I can say at 10 months I am very happy!!! The front is full and the crown is coming along. Along with blow drying it and using volumising powder the improvement is obvious. I haven't used minoxidil properly in 5 months either! I had no major changes in libido, and the slight decrease at points was likely work stress related. If hair loss worries you I would recommend improving your confidence by going to the gym, getting sharp clothes or working on other aspects of your life. However if you love your hair so much I can recommend this product!"

Hdhsodn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I've never written a review for a drug before. I'm 47. When I started thinning a couple of years ago I freaked out and started looking into this drug. I read thousands of reviews. Many of them negative. But I went ahead and started taking it anyway. Thankfully it worked for me. I've been on it for 2 years. I experienced weird ejaculations / less intense orgasms starting about 3 days into taking it. It freaked me out, but I kept taking it as some of the reviews explained these side effects were temporary. Yes, the side effect went away on its own after about 2 months and all went back to normal. I noticed my hair loss stopped on its tracks about 3 weeks into taking it. Now I've regrown a lot of lost hair back. It changed my life."

w77382 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: "Have been taking this drug for almost a year now. My hair was starting to thin a few years back and I just decided to give this a try as we all know nothing else works! Since I've been taking it I haven't noticed any real side effects so I guess I've been lucky in that sense, but to be honest neither have I experienced any change in hair loss either. My hair is still thinning, probably even more so now than it used to. This drug has been an absolute waste of time and money. It does not work. Scientists can transplant organs from one body to another, they can clone sheep, they can grow an ear on a mouse's back, but for some reason they cant figure out how to grow hair where hair used to grow anyway! Don't waste your money."

Dave80 July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "Very good medicine with in 4 months of taking this drug my hair fall almost stopped completely. My hairs are now really thick, decent hair regrowth in crown area."

akhil skt (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Proscar (finasteride) for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I started taking Proscar when it was a blind study. It has reduced my prostate to the size of a teenager's prostate. I still take it, but am now using the generic (Finasteride). The only side effect that I have had is slight breast tenderness and swelling (not cancerous as it has been that way for almost a year) also my bald spot all but disappeared."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I've been on it from 29 till now (42). I've experienced 0 negative side effects. My doc monitors my liver functions annually. Family noticed improvement. I believe over time I mainly have maintained the hair I had and haven't gotten much balder, unlike other men on both sides of my family who are either completely bald or much thinner. It is much cheaper to buy the 5mg pill and cut it in 4ths."

Rafa T (taken for 10 years or more) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Please see my earlier post for my concerns. I stated that I would be talking to my DR. about the side effects and he now has taken me off this med. and just has me on just the FloMax med. He insisted that it might take a couple of months for my side effects to completely go away. I hope they go away sooner than that! Will keep you posted."

Small Peter (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "It's just been one month since I started finasteride, and it's going well. I take 1mg daily and so far haven't experienced any side-effects that I've noticed. It's still early days so can't tell if it's working for thickening my hair yet, although when I run my hand over my cropped hair recently it feels stronger than I did before. In addition to finasteride I started 'Regiane' today so any future reviews will be the outcome of both medications working together"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Suffering badly from sleep deprivation due to being woken to pee 6 times a night , prescribed Tamsulosin Hydrochloride , minimal reduction doctor then prescribed Finasteride to assist Tamsulosin which after 3 months was not achieving a result . Finasteride made me very ill within days of taking it , dizziness, nausea, some loss of feeling in finger tips , build up of calcium in tendons on hand . Made an appointment to discuss with doctor ( two weeks 3 days earliest that could be booked ), week and two days before doctor appointment sudden loss of sight in left eye due to a blood clot behind the Retina ."

conwymale May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. I started this drug mid January 2016-March 2016 I've had depression anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia thoughts of suicide, headaches. I got better by September 2016 but my body crashed again in the October (another common side effect from this drug) got better by Christmas but since February 2016 I've gone down hill. Please don't take this use topical or have a hair transplant."

Gary35 April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "29 now, started losing my mane since 22 and now have lost most of my crown area with receding frontal hairline. Upon doctor recommendation and Going by the positive effects regarding hair growth which I have read and heard I took the chance and started taking 1mg finasteride back in 1st April 2017; just been 10 days to be exact and started noticing lack of sex drive, poor erection from 2nd day onwards. This has to be the most anti erection drug a man can have.. I would suggest everyone to NEVER ever opt for this if you value your masculine traits. I am going to stop it now and will never take the same again ever. Already scheduled for a Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) HT next week. Hence, either opt for minoxidil only treatment or transplant but refrain from this."

SG1488 April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Have been taking this med for about a year now. Urinary function is much better but the side effects make me wonder if the benefits are worth it. My penis has gotten much smaller, no erections at all, and when I do ejaculate, the quantity is dramatically less than before and is now just a small amount of clear fluid. Will talk to my Dr. about options."

Small Peter April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I take this for both BPH and alopecia Just would like to say a few things about posters who have had bad experience with the drug, either side effects or lack of response. 1) if you are having testicular pain, for god sakes don't just stop the drug. You may have epidydimits or other problem that needs to be evaluated quickly by the urologist/MD that gave you the Rx. Young people take note. 2)when you are taking a combo drug of finesteride with an alpha blocker such as Flomax (tamsulosin) and you start having side effects such as dizziness, you really don't know which of the two may be causing it. Again, this is a subject that should be discussed with your MD and 3) If your doctor didn't tell you this, I will. Finesteride takes TIME to work months before seeing significant improvement"

medken63 April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: "After 2 days on Propecia I start to feel heavy brain fog. I didn't now about this side effect but I found out on the internet that it is a common side. I can tell you that feeling is worse than the sexual sides effects. I wish no one to feel that horrible feeling."

ChrisHag March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "Hi guys. I'm the son of a man who went bald at the age of 18 and I'm one of 4 brothers. I staring taking Propecia at the age of 39 and I'm 51 now. Not only has my hair stronger and thicker like I've lost none, I'm the only brother now with a full head of hair. I had my first child at age 42 and have just had my fifth 4 months ago. I have never had any of the side effects that others have written about on here. If I had my time over again I would do exactly the same thing except maybe have started taking this pill a little earlier so that my hair wouldn't have thinned so much before I starting taking it (The thinning has totally reversed). I have and would recommend this treatment to any other male who like to feel good about themselves."

Pak Paul February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: "When I turned 50, I went in for a physical. The doctor noticed my hair was thinning and recommended Propecia. That was 14 years ago and today I have a very full head of hair, especially for a 64 yo. Two issues, one it must be taken religiously. I take it at least 350+ times a year. Two, its not cheap. Generics are available on the internet. My brother was born 10 months before me. Physically, we are very similar. During our youth, our hair was almost identical. Today, he is balding, badly. Side affects. Shortly after I starting taking it, I DID have trouble getting an erection, but the problem went away after a number of weeks. I was thinking of quitting, but just wanted to give my body a little more time to adjust. And it did. No regrets"

Longan (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "Hi guys. I'm 30 years old, and have been slowly receeding and balding for about 6 years. I'd say I've lost and inch and a half from my hairline, and my crown has thinned alot. Not quite a bald patch, but definitely thinning out. I read about propecia a couple of years ago, and the horror stories put me off, despite the fact that I REALLY want to keep my hair. A workmate pointed out how thin I am on top a couple of weeks ago which gave me a kick up the arse. I have been on propecia for a two weeks now, and my hair loss has stopped already! When I showered before, my hands would have at least 30 hairs on them, now 1 or 2. I was terrified of the sexual side effects, but I can honestly say I've felt next to none (very slight testicle ache)."

Jonesy66 February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "Age 63, using finasteride for 2 years and no other medications. Took many months for improvement in urination and now much improved though definitely not what it was when I was young. I am no longer scouting for spots to stop in a 30 minute walk. I typically sleep about 5 hours at night before having to get up. Other changes since beginning dosage: ejaculation volume has decreased, occasional but rare loss of erection during intercourse. No other changes noticed, in particular no loss of libido, and no mental changes noticed. After doing the research physiological effects seem to be the same at 1mg (for hair loss) as 5mg (for BPH) so I quarter the 5mg pills and take a 1/4 pill per day."

BPH sufferer February 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I've started taking it when I was 24. Now I'm 31 and for the first time ever I started feeling dizziness when waking up too fast from the hammock or the couch, but not when waking up from bed. That's all. I never had any problem with libido, ejaculations or any sexual related issue. I have an active sexual life and I never had any problem. I exercise a lot. I don't take any other medication. My hairdresser noticed that my hair was getting stronger. I had no hair lose after starting the intake. Hard to say what would happen if I quit it. BUT I have a recommendation for all users, NEVER EVER take more than 1mg a day. Never. In order to do this, I mark in the blister which day I started the intake and then I use that as a reference."

7753508114 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Androgenetic Alopecia: "I am 24, started around age 19 after serious thinning and a lot of frontal hair loss. This drug has made my hair loss stop completely so far. No side effects that I notice, I take half a pill every day (.5mg)"

Steve Robert February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: "I am 54 years old. I've been taking Finasteride...along with Flomax for almost 4 months....after being diagnosed with bph few months earlier. It has helped tremendously with urination issues. 3 month checkup went well. I will go back in Sept. of 2018 ( one year from start of meds). I have had no side effects until recently. Sexual desire is still very high....no problem getting and maintaining an erection. But about 3 months in, was noticing less and less ejaculate to where now its almost nothing. The feeling is still intense...but the well is going dry per say. I also seem to get fatigued a little more than normal. I will be consulting my urologist about this in very near future as instructed by him."

Biker62 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017