User Reviews for Finasteride

Androgenetic Alopecia   4.9
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia   4.8

Reviews for Finasteride

Karl · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2021

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “Started getting dizzy spells after about two weeks. Mild reduction in sex drive that was honestly rather peaceful, but the dizziness made it hard to focus on anything and I sometimes found it hard to keep my balance when standing. I can't comment on hair effects as I wasn't able to take it long enough. I've stopped for almost two weeks and still get intermittent dizziness. Personally not going to touch this drug again - the side effects I experienced negatively impacted my quality of life and I can only hope they fully go away soon.”

Hairline · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2021

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “Been on 1mg oral finasteride daily for 3 months. Noticed some new baby hair and some thick hairs near my hairline but also noticing a lot of hair shedding and hairline is still receding.”

dk · Taken for 10 years or more February 10, 2021

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “I was prescribed Finasteride years ago for BPH. Now I have all side effects listed above except PD, and BPH”

Stan January 18, 2021

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “Been taking finasteride for over 6 months. I haven't noticed any hair regrowth. All I'ved noticed is shrinking of my penis. Don't take this its not worth it!!. I'm coming off this today !I'm hoping things will go back to normal..”

Chilly · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2021

“This is for fellow non-binary transmasc/"fTm" people taking LOW dose T. I take 35ish mg of Testim gel daily for 1 year now (50mg in 5g of gel tube—I squeeze about 1/2 of 1 tube into 1/2 tsp for consistent amount). I started Finasteride 3 months ago to prevent hair loss (not experiencing yet). Other NB friends on T take Fin to prevent hair loss. Some tried and stopped because side effects sucked. My take: We are taking T to supplement a lack. It accumulates in our bodies, impacting of our estrogen and progesterone levels. When your T level accumulates to a certain threshold, some changes into DHT. That's what causes hair loss. That's what Fin blocks—it's a DHT blocker. So you are taking T, while also taking a DHT blocker. My period stopped 4 month on T. It came back 1 month on Fin. I don't mind bleeding. I mind the extreme hormonal fluctuations and related mental health woes. Fin also made my pre-T hormonal breakouts into full acne, worse than being on T alone. So I think I will stop soon or experiment w/dosing.”

Will · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 25, 2020

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “Truly not worth it if you value your life and health. Facts: The way that finasteride works is by changing our sex hormones (DHT) and even though we tend to think of our sex hormones as something that happens to us or like something that causes puberty and hair growth/loss in places that we don’t really want, our sex hormones are actually a key part of the signaling machinery that our brain uses to create the experience of being the person that we are. And so when we change our sex hormones, we’re actually changing the version of our brain that we are creating. You might not even realize and believe you "have zero side effects what so ever" but thats just your ego and you trying to convince yourself everything is fine. Don't make the same mistake as many others, just don't do it.”

Benny December 25, 2020

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “I am a male 43 years old with thinning hair. Figured I’d give all the rubbish products a good try before just coming to the realization I need to just shave it all off eventually. 6 months of Rogaine liquid and foam. ZEROOOO NEW GROWTH! Nothing new at all! Finisteraide - 5 months, not a single bit of hair growth. All looks EXACTLY THE SAME!! Conclusion: many months of popping pills and coating my head twice a day with snake oil. Nothing works. All rubbish like I figured. My wife talked me into trying the snake oil fake remedies. I see guys like Lebron James (worth 100 million) going bald, and realize there is no hope! Don’t waste your time or money guys! It’s all fake stuff! 0-RATING FOR BOTH IF I COULD”

af · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2020

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “Did not experience side effects right away. I have been on finasteride for 4 months and this week the side effects came on bad. I can't get hard at all (ED) and have low semen volume. I am going to get off the pill and hopefully things will be more normal in a few weeks. If it does turn normal, I will be done with the pill for good. Id rather lose my hair than my manhood.”

Spidey · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2020

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Took finasteride 5 month after being diagnosed with BPH had to give up after never having erection issues found myself limp with no interest in sex. On the rare occasion I did manage to have sex there was no semen at all have now given up as feel cure worse than initial diagnosis”

Don5163 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 27, 2020

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Instead of an erection, I achieved a down-erection. My erection began to point towards the ground. I had the erection but it pointed downward instead of upward. Had never before experienced that problem. I was in my late 50's at that time. However; I will admit it did began to bring my PSI down.”

Rrac · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 22, 2020

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: “I took finasteride for hair loss in 2017. I experienced testicular pain and loss in semen volume. While on the drug I noticed a callous type knot in my left hand. I stopped the drug and within a week developed severe upward curvature from peyronies disease. I had bloodwork done and I'm now hypothyroid as well. Before I took this drug I was perfectly healthy. I'm now experiencing weight gain and feel like I'm 70 years old. I'm 36.”

Dougie · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 21, 2020

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “Prior to being on Finistaride I was up all night, every night. Seriously, some nights I was up 7 times. It took quite some time (three months?) and I now sleep through the night. A bad nights sleep is when I have to get up once. Reading some of the negative reviews, these meds do not have a single side effect for me. Sleep like a baby again at 61 yrs of age. Saved me from surgery.”

Texaxs October 5, 2020

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “I have been taking finasteride for several years. About a year ago I noticed shrinkage of my unit and testicles , no energy ,depression and low libido. I thought it was my age . Brain fog all around lack of excitement for life. I couldn't figure it out till a few weeks ago. I hope it goes away. I can't get into my doc for 3 months. Be careful. Was on the med for 6 years for BPH. It helped with that but screwed everything else up. I am so made at my Doctor.”

JMC · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 4, 2020

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “I may have reviewed this medication a while ago but I am here again to provide an update. I am 24 now and start on Fin when I was 20. This medication does work. I am a twin, he’s not taking the medication and buzzes his head and obviously losing his hair. It works, no side effects. I have my hair and it’s in better health now than it was during my teenage years. I gave this a 9 because after two years of being on it, I felt like it started to reverse, losing hair again. I found I doctor who prescribed me Dutasteride .5mg 1x per week and I am doing very well (knock on wood) I am seriously so grateful for these meds and rogaine. I would likely have no self confidence. Do not fear side effects. I work out. Sexually am still wild. If you work out, your workout sups give you more side effects than this. But I can tell you after being on this med for 4 years, no side effects. Take it”

Fred · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 26, 2020

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “WHAT I WISH I HAD KNOWN before taking this drug: 1. sexual side effects are common: 20% of men, says the Head of Urology of St Louis Hospital in Paris. I believe it's 100%, see my next point. 2. This is not a drug you can "try and see how it goes". First, my side effects came so gradually... "this must just a natural fluctuation" ... "Is it just in my head?" ... "Oh wow I'm half impotent now, at age 36, I guess it wasn't in my head". 2. The side effects do NOT go away after quitting (it's been several years for me) and there is no known cure. 3. What is at stake, besides "ED": less desire for your partner affects the affection/quality of your relationships and happiness. The drug damages your brain chemistry/regeneration (hello depression and early Alzheimers). And then of course the fact that sex/masturbation don't bring me all that much pleasure anymore.”

SPA1992 September 7, 2020

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: “I've decided to write this review for Propecia because I didn't take this drug for 9 years because of the horror reviews online, even though my hair loss was causing me intense anxiety everyday. I didn't have the courage to take it until my brother started taking it. It truly does give you relief knowing that someone you know closely is taking it. Once he started taking it I told myself it is time I take the plunge. At least if the worst happens we'll experience it together. I've been taking it for 6 months now with little to 0 side effects. Before taking it I was concerned about permanent penile shrinkage, ED, and watery semen. ED definitely not an issue in the slightest. Penile shrinkage, I don't think so at all, but I'm not positive since I didn't measure before and after. If I thought there was penile shrinkage I would stop. My GF hasn't noticed a difference. It's possible my semen is slightly more watery but that's it.”

Anonymous August 22, 2020

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “I’m taking finasteride for at least 2 years and I never had erection problems or low libido. I can urinate better. I used to have wide openings in the scalp and now is like the Amazonas forest, but i also use a capilus hat... Hope this helped...”

Bob · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 14, 2020

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: “If you want a full head of hair then go for it. That full head of hair will of course help you with the ladies. However, once you get a lady you will be up the creek without a paddle because your old John Thomas will not work. I took Propecia for 8 years. The side effects came on slowly and I ignored them at my peril: choosing vanity over health and happiness. Still have fatigue, anxiety, issues with the old meat and two veg. Avoid this drug at all costs, buy a razor or trimmer and shave your head.”

Dan · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 5, 2020

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “Hard to know if finasteride made much difference on hair as you can't can't compare with not taking it. After 2 years I have had some of the symptoms expected, difficulty getting an erection now and considerably smaller testicles”

Dylan · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2020

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: “I have been on propecia for almost 6 months now. My experience with it are as below: 1)Shedding was worst during the second to third month as expected. Slowed down but still notice medium to bad hair loss every now and then. Hopefully it will stabilize and come to a halt. 2)Notice some baby hair along the hairline. (Although I had been using minoxidil 6 months prior to propecia I didn't notice any hair growth until I was on propecia. I am on both propecia and minoxidil now by the way) Not much improvement on the crown. Overall hair volume and quality seem to have improved. Nonetheless it's still too early to tell I guess. 3)No side effects so far. I will give another update after a year. I do hope that the hair loss stops for good.”

Amlan Das · Taken for 10 years or more June 18, 2020

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “I have now used this product for last 12 years and fortunately it suits me. I have 2 kids in the last 6 years and my sex drive is normal. Highly recommend this product as 12 years back I had turned almost bald.”

Anbhse · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “Hello guys, I bought 3 strips of finasteride thinking I belonged to the lucky group which had no side effects. The first 20-25 days was just great but then I started to get weird side effects. One morning I woke up with swollen feet and soon it began to give me tingling sensation starting from my feet up to my knee. My dermatologist recommended I take a diuretic pill to flush out all the water which was causing the swelling. But it really didn't help much. I was still waking up in the middle of the night because I could feel like something was moving inside my feet. I am not taking it anymore and feeling much better. It's been 3-4 days without finasteride but the feet still hurt a little bit. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

Propecia (finasteride) for Androgenetic Alopecia: “Started the drug in January 2020 and now almost May. Took a while for me to know if the drug was working since I saw no visible improvements until after I had been on it for 3 months. Adding on to that, during those 3 months I had no clue if I was even responding to the drug since I had absolutely no side effects whatsoever, not even minimal side effects, just nothing (I typically view side effects as a way of knowing if the drug works and having absolutely none was concerning). Despite delayed positive effects I consider this drug to be the saving grace to my self confidence. Only rating 8 stars at the moment since I am satisfied with what has happened so far but I am hoping as I continue taking the drug I can get even better results.”

LOL April 29, 2020

For Androgenetic Alopecia: “I noticed my hair starting to thin at the age of 18. Heard about the drug but I left it for a year, where I noticed constant hair loss (in the shower, on the pillow etc). I finally decided to do something about it 19 months ago. I'd say I didn't see the effects up until about 5 months ago. I shaved my head completely just to be sure and I'm quite certain that its thicker than before. I wouldn't think so but looking at photos from a year ago I recon it's safe to say (I was on the ropes lol, grew my hair out long to compensate). My hair still falls out in the shower, but at a lower rate. I think I must be one of those middle of the road guys, haven't seen too many reviews like that though! Libido still like a stallion, if anything I recon it makes me last longer in bed. Long term though I think I might visit a doctor to see if there's any way to slow it down completely by upping the dose or otherwise and to check fertility. For now I'm just happy to finish college without looking like an egg.”

Gunz · Taken for less than 1 month April 24, 2020

For Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: “8 days on 5mg finasteride for BPH. Anxiety, weird depression, extreme difficulty falling asleep. I'm off of this stuff now. Glad I didn't stay on it longer. I just want this stuff out of my system.”