Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 31, 2023.
Applies to the following strengths: 1 mg; 5 mg
Usual Adult Dose for:
Additional dosage information:
Usual Adult Dose for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia
5 mg orally once a day
- Dosing is the same both in monotherapy and in combination therapy.
Usual Adult Dose for Androgenetic Alopecia
1 mg orally once a day
For the treatment of male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) in men only. (Safety and efficacy have been demonstrated in men between 18 to 41 years of age with mild to moderate hair loss of the vertex and anterior mid scalp area):
- Daily use for 3 months or more is necessary before benefit is observed. Continued use is recommended to sustain benefit.
- Withdrawal of treatment leads to reversal of effect within 12 months.
Use: For the treatment of male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) in men only. (Safety and efficacy have been demonstrated in men between 18 to 41 years of age with mild to moderate hair loss of the vertex and anterior mid scalp area).
Renal Dose Adjustments
No adjustment necessary
Liver Dose Adjustments
Use with caution
- Safety and efficacy have not been established in patients younger than 18 years.
- Consult WARNINGS section for additional precautions.
Data not available
- May be taken with or without food.
- Crushed or broken tablets should not be handled by women who are or may potentially be pregnant.
- Not indicated for use in women.
- Not approved for the treatment of prostate cancer.
- 5-alpha reductase inhibitors reduce serum PSA levels by approximately 50%, even in the presence of prostate cancer. Health professionals should therefore be aware of how to monitor and interpret PSA levels in patients taking 5-alpha reductase inhibitors.
- Prior to the start of treatment, the risk of high-grade prostate cancer should be weighed against the benefits of 5-alpha reductase inhibitor therapy.
More about finasteride
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (292)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- Drug class: 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors
- En español
- Finasteride drug information
- Finasteride (Advanced Reading)
- Finasteride 1 mg Tablets
- Finasteride 5 mg Tablets
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.