User Reviews for Magnesium oxide to treat Constipation

Also known as: Mag-Ox 400, Mag-Ox, Uro-Mag, Phillips' Cramp-free Mag-Oxide Mag-Caps

Magnesium oxide has an average rating of 9.3 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of Constipation. 83% of those users who reviewed Magnesium oxide reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Magnesium oxide Rating Summary

9.3/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Constipation.

ConstipationSux · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2020

“Most medication I've tried gives me constipation. This time it's an SNRI and I feel like I'm giving birth every morning. BM's are huge and I can't pinch one off. So I've been spending an hour on the pot letting nature slowly take its course, my anus is getting very painful in the process. Can barely sit down the rest of the day. At this point I would usually quit my meds but thought I'd try to manage this side effect instead. Tried stool softeners and they stopped working after a week. Now I've been taking a magnesium oxide 250 mg tablet but that has outlived its usefulness too. So I'm going to take two and see how it goes.”

HODAG · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 16, 2020

“Been using 250 mg daily of magnesium oxide for years now (for constipation. Found out about it by google several years ago. It does sound too good to be true, but when I tried it, wow, it works. No problems with constipation or bloody toilet paper since.”

wing · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2018

“Been fighting severe constipation for over 10 years. Gastric surgeon suggested many types of treatment (most otc.) Nothing worked. Stopped taking another of my drugs and started getting migraines so GP put me on magnesium oxide as a prophylactic. One main side effect is diarrhea. Tried it, 1000 mg/day, nothing. Now take 1500 mg of magnesium oxide/ day (m/n/n), it's a miracle. Amazing, since starting that dosage, things have been "normal". Over 3 months now. No constipation, no impaction, only great happiness. After 10 horrible nightmare years, I'm finally free! But remember, always consult your Dr. before adding anything new to make sure it doesn't interfere with other drugs you may be taking. My results may differ from those of others with my specific medical problem.”

schmetterlinge28 October 2, 2011

“I came upon this website as I was looking for different uses of magnesium oxide (MO); my initial reason for taking MO was for nerve pain, but I found it very interesting that people with my same "issues" used it for constipation, heartburn, even nausea, so I decided to "up" my one-a-day dose to at least twice per day, and wow, the difference is quite fantastic! I must say I'm a skeptic by nature but, MO is an inexpensive way to deal with common side effects from pain medicines, etc. Without any hesitation, I recommend this "medication" for anyone with stomach problems, especially females suffering, like myself, from endometriosis, interstitial cystitis, and/or Celiac, or any auto-immune disease.”

Anonymous August 17, 2009

“After seeing two rectal surgeons, two gastroenterologists, and numerous primary care doctors I was still constipated. I was eating between 50 and 60 grams of fiber a day and drinking lots of water-all no help! I tried Colace but the cramping was really bad. I found taking 250 mg of magnesium at dinner worked! It has been a week and so far so good- I feel so much better. No more enemas or harsh laxatives.”

swanmade April 11, 2016

“I started taking thia about a month ago in the morning for my constipation and it works better with way less side effects than both amitiza and linzess. I am so happy I ran across this and found out it unofficially treats issues many of my issues including constipation, migraines, anxiety, sleep troubles, energy issues, etc. Since I have severe constipation, this brings my system some normality and not diarrhea. I love it and it is a new staple.”

Kaleseya68966 April 28, 2016

“Most helpful treatment for ibs with constipation ever. I was on zelnorm before which was recalled due to safety. I promised myself to never take rx for chronic issues and try to manage them as much as I can with natural, safe treatments as much as possible. I tell everyone about magnesium, wish doctors would know about it.”

Tigertamer January 6, 2017

“Have had constipation for years and years. Over the counter medicines were not reliable or caused pain. Did my own research and found MO. What a thrill. Inexpensive, reliable, no side effects. After using it for awhile I stopped and found I didnt need it. Now after a very holiday season of eating and drinking I find I'm constipated so I'm back on magnesium for awhile to reset my system.”

SukBuni Bleu October 17, 2015

“I am taking digestive advantage constipation formula which has 400 mg of magnesium oxide. It is absolutely the only thing that has ever helped me with constipation and never cramps and is completely reliable daily. The best thing ever. I am sure plain Magnesium oxide 300 mg would do the same if they should stop making this. This has been a Godsend now for a year and a half. Like clockwork...”

KellyWiley January 24, 2009

“This supplement has really helped with my severe constipation. I stopped taking it and the constipation returned. I must take it with food or it will upset my stomach.”

asian November 10, 2011

“I have no leg cramps so far and old injury to shoulder is now much better and hard stools are better.”

calcry February 27, 2008

“i took this while i was pregnant when having alot of constipation and it really helped me i would stay regular.”