User Reviews for Lithium Carbonate ER

Lithium Carbonate ER has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings on Drugs.com. 67% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Bipolar Disorder
7.1
Summary of Lithium Carbonate ER reviews 7.1 11 reviews

Reviews for Lithium Carbonate ER

Akadaca · Taken for 10 years or more September 18, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Hi guys, I have been on Lithium Carbonate (1000 mg). This might shock you, but I have been on Lithium for 18 years, I'm now age 37, I was 20 years old I started. What I've learned is you need to know your triggers. For example, don't drink coffee, that made me shake. Watch what you eat and understand what triggers, which only you know. One major thing to stop doing is looking for answers on Google! Just see a doctor! Lithium saved my life. Yes, I've had the odd up and downs, but I keep going and made something of myself. If I've come this far, I know anybody can. Smile! I would like you all to know, at the end of the day, you can have so much of anything, so make the most of it and enjoy life. I used to be scared of people judging me. Still, I finally decided to write this review because there is too much misinformation out there.”

Missmonk · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I am ADHD H.functioning ASD(aspergers) due to this my severe depression and anxiety has been treatment resistant for many years. Tried every SSRI/SNRI antidep. I was allergic to Quetiapine & Lamotrigine (rashes) Then in March I tested positive for Covid-19. Following extreme physical illness it triggered 3 months of solid depression and anxiety, I lost 3 stone couldn't get out of bed self harmed/suicidal thoughts. THEN I was prescribed LITHIUM! Only been on this a week at a dose of 300mg S/R I realise its only early days, but the difference is wow! After 3 days was able to get out of bed, dress, eat, talk to others. I still have increases due. No side effects yet. I've got a way to go, but this has given me the most hope I will get better. If you're like me ADHD/ASD or similar & no luck on traditional meds CONSIDER LITHIUM (I also take lisdex for ADHD. I live in the uk & have a CMHRS referral) stay safe all x”

Scotia Smith · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 23, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I've been medicated for 20+ years now. Lithium carbonate ER is the only medication that stops my suicidal ideation obsessive thoughts. Yes I deal with side effects. I just have to be careful with my dosage. I've almost been killed by other meds for mania/mood balance. This is more predictable for me. It does cause me to crave sweets and salty foods. Off it, I don't have that issue. Dehydration is a problem. I have so many other chronic illnesses that it's difficult to pinpoint issues to just this medication. It has kept me from suicide many times now. I have tried many times since my suicidality surfaced when I was 6 years old. 40yrs of obsessive suicidal thoughts and this med has helped the most.”

BiPolar Bear December 10, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “I started on 150mg then switched to ER, I'm at 600mg heading for 900mg now and I have to say, you HAVE to give this drug time. I was anal retentive and a perfectionist with a lot of anxiety and depression. It was also easy to manipulate me because I had such low self-esteem at the time. I'd constantly find myself befriending those who had just as low self-esteem and those who liked to undermine me. Since I started, I started to grow a backbone and it scared a lot of the people who had this control on me. I've thankfully removed these toxic people from my life and have gradually brought in people who want the best for me. It really is a good mood stabilizer. What I do feel bad about today is that the friendships I lost because I wasn't on this drug previously to prevent me from doing something stupid.”

BANANARAMA!!! · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was originally diagnosed with PMDD, but my doctor suggested I might actually have Bipolar Disorder Type 2 since I get seasonal depression. Sometimes I actually enjoyed my hypomania, but I had crippling anxiety and suicidal ideation that were difficult to live with. I started with 600mg and hated the side effects of lithium at first. The first two months were rough- I couldn't sleep because I had to urinate so often. I wanted to stop but didn't. My doc changed my dosage to 450mg ER and I love it. I am not the high-strung perfectionist I used to be. I feel peaceful and stable. It's actually kind of weird, but I would never want to go back. GIVE IT TIME, ADJUST DOSAGE! :)”

LdyLamentine · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: “I had high hopes for this drug as I had heard so many great things about it especially for people who are seriously in the throes of major depression and/or have and are experiencing a lot in their lives on a regular. However, sadly it really didn't do much for me. I just felt flat, not happy, not sad but still sad if that makes any sense, and somewhat neutral. Now I thought that I would prefer to be neutral but it's like I didn't care, didn't feel, everything was whatever. On top of that it made me go to the bathroom a lot. I already drink about 6-8 bottles per day and had had to go up to 8-10. My system just couldn't handle this drug and like I said, no real relief. I also want to add that this was my second time trying this drug and likely my last. Additionally, the 1st time I was prescribed 600mg, the second time 1200mg. Didn't matter either way, it just makes me not care and that's already part of my problem.”

Sunshine · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have bipolar 2 disorder, OCD, and PTSD. I've been taking lamotrigine (200mg) for about 6 months & I just started lithium (300mg) almost 2 months ago and it's lifted my mood but I am extremely anxious. It's terrifying TBH. Anxiety is difficult as it is but on full blast it's a nightmare. I'm also sort of manic. Very go-go-go! I'm gonna give it some more time but so far I think I may need a lower dose. I will definitely be talking to my doc about this asap.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I took lithium carbonate for 5 months for bipolar disorder. It was a terrible experience. Although it did stop manic episodes it put me into the darkest depression of my life. I was hopeful and really wanted it to work by just taking a mood stabilizer. Unfortunately it caused really bad acne, thirsty all the time, dry mouth, severe depression, no motivation, no joy, and the worst memory problems I ever had in my life. I felt like I had amnesia. My brain hurt every day on this drug, I had headaches and brain pain, terrible brain fog. It made me have suicidal thoughts 24/7. Very dangerous drug for me. I switched to a low dose of risperidone and my depression is completely gone and motivation and excitement for future came back thanks to risperidone.”

alex · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “There was never a change in my moods while on lithium; in fact, they got worse, almost like I wasn't on other medications to help with my moods and depression. I tried to tell my doctor that nothing was happening and I wasn't feeling even a little bit better, but he kept me on it for another 2 months before I made him change to a different medicine if he wanted me to leave his office. It made my moods worse, and reduced my appetite to 0, where I couldn't eat for multiple days. It made me feel absolutely miserable. I don't even know why doctors try giving this to BPD patients.”

deep7red3 · Taken for 10 years or more July 13, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “Loving parent, may have been bipolar, dead by gunshot. Never ruled suicide, no one was arrested. But other parent would never deny pulling the trigger, later diagnosed narcissistic pd. I had daily thoughts, often detailed plans, until I left for college. Burned my draft card, performed alternative service, went crazy enough to confront my family. Old-school psych called me schizo and put me on Thorazine. Local state hospital, more Thorazine, Went into CSB program and genius psych put me on Lithium. It was like putting on the right prescription glasses. It was like my life had been a train wreck, and now was back on the track. Lots more happened, I've skipped over five more hospitalizations and a series of low-paid jobs, but I am married 35 years, have two kids, and I'm retired on Social Security.”

Lifesaver · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Unbelievable results within a month. Taken with seroquel to sleep I AM A SURVIVOR. 600mg lithium ER is miracle for me and my bipolar !!! THANK YOU”

Skirch · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2017

For Cluster Headaches: “I've suffered Clusters for 30 years and have tried most meds, this is the first that has worked without massive doses of Prednisone , Indomethacin and O2.”

More about Lithium Carbonate ER (lithium)

Other brands