User Reviews for Vyvanse

Learn more about Vyvanse.

Vyvanse Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Vyvanse to treat ADHD

"I was on this med for a little over a week. Right off it made me feel great everything was good. And I really liked it and I was happy I found something that worked. But after a week it started to make me really really hungry I could not get rid of the hunger. So I had to stop taking it. I have a hard time to find a med. that works. I had the genetic tests done and there is a lot of meds I can't take. So it is hard to find one that works. I have ADHD and there is not much meds I can take. Vyvanse was a question but it worked well just made me hungry. I wished it did not make me hungry. Now I hope my Doctor puts me on another ADHD med."

josie cat July 17, 2016

"I started 3 months ago and I am now taking 20mg 2x daily because it doesn't last throughout the day in a single dose for me. At first I did have a decrease in appetite, but I think it is has stabilized now. I have noticed an increase in my ability to pay attention in lectures and while studying, but I am still afflicted by tons of distractions. I am now able to organize my schoolwork, print out lecture slides, get them organized in a binder, etc. which I always had problems with. It hasn't really helped with my impulsivity, though, and I find its effects on me vary from day to day. Sometimes when the drug wears off I find myself feeling quite down and restless. Overall, I would say it has been helpful, but I may try something else."

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"It's definitely been a hell of a journey for me a whole year of school without good ADHD medication... But I have finally procured Vyvanse, I currently am taking a solid 20 mg, but so far for me personally it has been WAY more relaxing and effective than it's popularized counterpart Adderall. I actually take my Vyvanse with Adrafinil in the morning with water sometimes with or without a breakfast meal, honestly i have the same effectiveness regardless of what i eat but that's just me. I have noticed the same effects from different psychoactive stimulants like Adderall XR, Wellbutrin, Coffee, and Imipramine HCL. But so far Vyvanse has been more effective and honestly has a better duration than all of the stimulants I've ever taken..."

Melvin Arthur July 10, 2016

"I was always smart, but my career has accelerated rapidly thanks to this drug. I have the stamina and focus that I just would not have otherwise. I had trouble with concentration in college and it wasn't until I started taking vyvanse that I finally was able to complete tasks in a reasonable amount of time. My GPA went from a 3.3 to a 4.0. All the positives aside, I missed the pill today and basically ate the entire house. Withdrawal effects are Brutal."

Brookberry July 6, 2016

"Diagnosed ADHD about 15 years ago. I have taken Concerta, Riddlen, Adderall, and just about everything else there is. Doctor prescribed me Vyvanse about a week ago and i have fallen in love with it. 20mg last about 6 hours so i will be looking to up my dose but non of the side effect that i had on the other meds"

Kenneth2266 July 5, 2016

"It worked wonderfully in my case! I've had learning difficulties and anorexia since the second grade. Forty or so years the disorder has been binge/purging with laxatives. Cutting myself when my weight ballooned. In January 2016 my primary care giver placed me on Vyvance. It was wonderful. I would wake up and food was not the first thing on my mind! I was able to focus on meal planning and my life felt like it had order! I could finish a task and not skip around. Unfortunately my doctor was more concerned about my weight than my being able to focus so she took me off the medicine that has help me more than anything I've ever taken!"

Kern Lynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2016

"I'm diagnosed bipolar, depression and adhd. Vyvanse 20mg - Started: started three days ago - Purpose: to aid in energy and focus to help me breakthrough crippling apathy - Impact: So far Vyvanse has been very effective at helping me to return to more normal functioning. Its impact on my mood has been mixed, although I can now do things which is nice, underneath there is still a layer of boredom. - Side Effects: Mild and fleeting anxiety about three hours after taking and again as it wears off in the evening - Future: Very effective, I hope to increase my dose to 30mg and stay there. I think that would be the ideal dose for aiding me in breaking through my boredom."

becontent (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

"Diagnosed in late 80's as having Attention Disorder - however my grades were always pretty good that my mother and doctor did not put me on medication. As I began my career years ago, I noticed I had trouble staying on tasks and my impulsiveness at work was causing me problems. Worked with Behavior Therapist and that helped for many years. However, I still struggled to stay on deadline at work and that stress led to issues in my personal life. Started taking Vyvanse 30mgs 3 mos ago at the age of 36. For the first time in my adult-life I feel that I have my act together. Still follow what I learned in therapy over the years - which I hope will help me stay at a lower dose. I pay $250 a month before my deductible is reached then 80% after."

Mark in Jax (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2016

"Parents putting there kids on this stuff, yikes, man I just feel bad for your poor child. You realize you're giving them pure amphetamine right? I would avoid taking amphetamines until your brain has finished developing. Age 21-25. It's just absurd that something like Vyanse is prescribed to children. That said, for adults, this stuff is wondrous. Has changed my life. I've been taking 60mg Vyvanse for 3yrs straight with zero issues. Zero break. Zero tolerance. I'm 32. Male. I've literally tried it all (Dex, Desoxyn, Addie, Provigil) & nothing comes close Vyvanse! If you truly have ADHD as an adult, this drug will alter your life in such a positive way! Adults only though!!! Common parents, you're totally screwing your kids over."

HawkATG (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 12, 2016

"I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and I was first prescribed Concerta. Since Concerta is part instant release and part extended release it starts working extremely quick, within 15-30 minutes, which was nice because there was no need to time things out when taking the medication. Unfortunately, Concerta starts working immediately and also stops working immediately which for me led a horrific crash. I was irritable and angry after the medication wore off. Due to this my doctor switched me to Vyvanse. Vyvanse is a prodrug which means the actual drug inside the capsule is not therapeutically helpful until it gets broken down in the body. This allows for a nice steady come up and no crash when the medication is eventually excreted."

tcuckow (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2016

"My 13 yr old son was put on Vyvanse for his ADHD and started at 20mg, 30mg and for the last two weeks has been on 40mg. He's had the usual not much of an appetite, and of sleeping patterns. However I've noticed in the last two weeks a drastic behaviour change in him where he is extremely emotional, very anxious, feeling like everyone hates him, depressed and wanting to hurt himself. His pediatrician advised me to stop this medication . "

Concerned Mom 43 (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2016

"I have been taking vyvanse for at least three to four years now pretty consistently. I have never wrote a review before on this medication because I was always at limbo about how I felt on it. I will say that vyvanse gets the job done as far as helping focus and pay attention to tasks. I am a full time student and this medication has helped me jump from a 2.5 GPA to a 3.5 GPA. I have taken up to 60 mg but I went through time periods where I would withdrawal myself from it and start back up again at 30 mg. The 30mg is way more manageable than any other dose I think. Although this medication has positively changed my life, it has also created issues for me. I am very tired when I do not take my medicine. Even if I miss a day.."

Anonymous June 1, 2016

"I have a love/hate relationship with this medication. I was diagnosed with ADD in my late thirties. Vyvanse helps me a lot...when I can feel its effects. I take 50 mg a day. For three hours, I feel wonderful and very productive. The drug make feel very calm, hence very focused. I feel at peace and I stop questioning every single thing I do. It's like my usually racing thoughts (cognitive hyperactivity) stop for a moment and let me focus on the task at hand. BUT, when the drug wears off, after only three or four hours, I feel HORRIBLE! My throat gets tight, a disabling anxiety kicks in, I feel depressed, my thoughts start racing again and honestly, I feel like I could kill myself. So I go from feeling wonderful to being suicidal..."

Eva Sandoval (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2016

"My 10 yr old daughter was put on low dose (20mg) of Vyvanse for ADHD. Her ADHD was severely affecting her school work. Positive: immediately teachers and I noticed she could focus, sit more still, and initiate her own homework, etc... But it's the NEGATIVE side affects that seriously concerned me. She went from a cheerful, joyous girl, to a melancholy zombie. Even worse, she became more and more depressed & irritable at night. She said she felt like she lost all personality and had a sadness that she didn't understand why. I can not emphasize enough how scary it was to see her whole personality change, and that was not worth any benefits.she got out of Vyvanse. Other side effects: loss of appetite, joint/muscle pain, mouth twitch."

Mom of ADHD (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

"Vyvanse is not like any other ADHD med out there. It is better! a lot better! I does not matter how much Vyvanse you take, your body will not let the amphetamine level go any higher than it can process it. This gives you control. Vyvanse is a spark, it lets you chose what to focus on, rather than make you hyper and euphoric like other ADHD meds do. Why it does not work for some people? Because most people fail to use ADHD meds accordingly! No med is a "magic bullet." For those of us who actually have ADHD and have tried absolutely everything (healthy diet, good night sleep, exercise, multivitamins etc.), Vyvanse is the "missing piece to the puzzle!"

A Spark Not a Fire (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

"I was told by psychologist I scored highest she has ever seen for adhd and doctor put me on 30mg and it does nothing. I don't want an increased dose of this med i want something else. Waste of my time."

Skellysgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

"I can finally focus"

Buttr April 22, 2016

"My Daughter has been taking Vyvanse for about 4 years now she is 14 and taking the 50 mg, She usually takes it on school days, So last summer she wasn't taking it and she started her period but as soon as September came she went back on the 50mg her period never came back. Has anyone experienced this? the doctor said it had nothing to do with the medication but I have a feeling it does."

Kristin4904 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2016

"this drug not only gave me a low key eating disorder but it made me have terrible, TERRIBLE mood swings all the time. it would make me cry and be irrationally angry at everyone at the same time. on top of that I would bearly be able to eat because the pill is also used as a way to treat binge eating. it also made me feel like I was having a heart attack at times and my heart would feel like it was going to stop beating. the only positive is that yes it did improve my focus and motivation immensly."

Anonymous April 15, 2016

"If you have a pacemaker , DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. I asked my psychiatrist if it would be ok to take this drug with a pacemaker, he was wrong ! It put my pacemaker into rev me up mode. My cardiologist was not happy."

PapaHemi April 8, 2016

"I have used many ADHD medicines in the past and I never knew what attention I was lacking without vyvanse. The first week of taking 30mg is very different from the following weeks. In the first week I felt very conscious of the effects and it felt great but the following weeks felt like I was lacking. I am 18 years old so I had an upcoming SAT so I took 2 of my 30mg pills. I am 150lbs and In retrospect it was a bad idea. The whole day of the SAT I felt explosive energy and extremely motivated to work on questions. I am now on the first day of prescribed 60mg and I have a much greater work motive and I am constantly fueled with new productive ideas for tasks to complete. If you feel like you are lacking in motivation for work I recommend it"

Alex Anon (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

"I have taking 20 mg and must say that it's the best medicine for me. I can concentrate, feeling peace in my mind. I'm also bipolar and before elvanse I tried medicine concerta and ritalin which made me more depressed and when they was going away from body I felt like awful. Elvanse is just a miracle medicine, I don't feel when it goes away. The only side effect of medicine is : dry mouth, not feeling hungry. Don't forget to eat and drink water because if you don't do it your bloodsugar will go down and you gonna feel ill,bad,headache !! I recomend this medicine !"

Skinnypatrini (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

"My 14 year old daughter had been taking Vyvanse since 2010 - her current dosage is 50mg. In the first couple years I believe this medication was a good fit for my daughter; however, It is my opinion she needs a change. Also thanks to Obmacare effective 1/1/16 we are paying a copayment of $197 (from $40). Unbelievable for Vyvanse to NOT RELEASE A GENERIC until 2023!"

Liz 6969 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 22, 2016

"This is a miracle pill. It has helped with everything And I don't have am appetite hardly at all now. But after 3 weeks of being on 50 mg it stopped working until around 3 in the afternoon and I feel very tired. Doctor is supposed to hopefully up my dosage. But it really is the best and gives me a happy good energetic mood. Better then Adderall."

scarlettmple (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2016

"After years of trying both stimulants & non-stimulants for my ADHD, Vyvanse has been a game changer. Its helped me to actually start LIVING life! Previously, I had the best results while on Adderrall, however the mid-afternoon "crash" left me irritable, moody, & feeling like my ADHD was, in a sense, magnified.Thank goodness Shire (developers of Adderrall) sat out to fix the negative side effects (or at least attempt to), but keep the positives. For me, the dry mouth is way more intense than with other stimulants. I have also noticed a drastic decline in sex drive. I would not be able to afford Vyvanse (I don't have insurance) if it were not for the Shire Cares patient assist program."

lamiley83 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2016