User Reviews for Vyvanse

Learn more about Vyvanse.

Vyvanse Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Vyvanse to treat ADHD

"I've been on vyvanse for about a year maybe a year and a half but damn this medication is amazing when you take it normally, I say normally because I usually only take it when I know I gotta focus so like for school, work, a project, etc but when I'm just home I don't take it. Now vyvanse has helped me so so much its just the getting the medication on time is what I struggle with, because I've noticed now that when I'm off vyvanse my ADHD is way worse like the anger and getting distracted part. Yet I don't like taking pills in general I know they do damage inside but if it works it works you know I'd rather struggle with the medication than have to deal with ADHD alone."

Ezm14 March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son is 6 they started him off on Concerta he seemed fine we had minimal complaint the only downside is everyday around 7 he would be in moods over silly things, but it would pass. Now the Vayvanse had him in "HULK" mode as he would describe it. He was very snappy and angry and became aggressive with the kids at school, (which was never an issue before). I hated that stuffed. I'm beginning to realize that finding the right meds is going to be a HUGE task."

Just mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After a few days on vyvance I started sleeping only 2-4 hours a night, then my doctor raised my dosage, now I was on 30 mg. And then a few weeks pass and I started to get really aggressive, yelling at people when I got just a little mad (like if someone accidentally bumped into me while walking down the hallway) And if that wasn't bad enough, I still couldn't focus in school. and the longer I took it the worse my sleep pattern got. I started staying up about 40 hours at a time and sleeping for about 8 hours, And then finally my parents decided to take action and take me off of it. it took me about 7 months to get back to sleeping on a regular schedule"

sallygally (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I was put on Lisdexamfetamine within a month of first taking it everything has improved. Things I would not normally do. I did my daily tasks, showing interest in things, my impulsiveness movement has slowed down, my thoughts slowed down and I can sit down and talk to people and hold a conversation with people. A big thing that this medication has is the fat ingredient so I am now 11 stone as I was previously 9 stone so a big improvement. Within a month in everything as a person so this medication is a big thing in my life and feel the doctor has made the correct choice. I would recommend it to anyone who ADHD like me and if they are on it you will see improvement like i have big time!."

Jay Sas March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had good grades. I could concentrate. But, I became very aggressive. I had to stop taking."

jacobfhoke (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My 9 yr old son started vyvanse two weeks ago (lowest dosage) and we saw positive results right away. In addition to ADHD he has a writing disorder and will literally sit and stare at his paper for hours because he can't get his thoughts written out. The first day he tried vyvanse he took it in the morning and then came home from school and without being asked he finished his book (25 pages) and then sat down and wrote a 2.5 page book report! I have not noticed a change in his appetite and he has only experienced some minor sleep issues but it does not seem to really bother him. Testing has shown my son to be highly intelligent but his grades do not reflect that - I finally have hope that he can reach his potential!"

Mom with Hope (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Vyvanse 30mg for 2 weeks for adult ADHD. It has been very helpful for me to stay on task at work and get things done that normally I would have a hard time with. I used to get very overwhelmed with what needed to be done and completely shut down, not getting anything done at all! Then beating myself up for being a procrastinator etc. I have not had any issues with insomnia or any other side effects, besides the normal appetite suppression during the day, which as resulted in an 8lb weight loss in 2 weeks. No complaints here as I need to lose about 20. I recommend not drinking more than 1 or 2 cups of coffee while taking this. I did once and was jacked up. Not a good feeling. I highly recommend taking this if you are an attention deficit"

Ashley35yearoldFemale (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My cousin's son takes this medicine and he almost 12, They recently increased the dosage to 40 mg. I have doubts on whether he is a better student because he seems to struggle with school regardless of being on the medicine. Apart from school, it seems to have scary side effects - major weight loss, no appetite whatsoever, anti-social behavior, argumentative attitude that noticeably goes away on the weekends when he is not on the medicine. Is the dosage possibly too much? I wonder if the drug has affected his mental health related to food as well, borderline anorexia? He is less than 80 pounds now and I want to say something to intervene. Recently he broke out in sweats at dinner one Friday night with rapid breathing, really scared."

Need Advice for 11 yr old (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 14, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Things to be mindful of: Can cause extreme anorexia-be careful if you are struggling with anorexia or bulimia nervosa; Helps reduce binge eating greatly- good for binge eating disorder and bulimia when the person is trying to correct bingeing and not abusing the drug as a way of losing weight; Can cause depression, suicidal ideations, and tiredness- Usually is a result of taking a dose that is too high and the symptoms usually occur once the meds start to wear off; Can cause severe anxiety- taking Vyvanse at a dose that is too high can cause severe anxiety, this can usually be resolved by lowering the dose. Some of these things can be resolved by adjusting the dosage but sometimes a specific medication doesn't work well with your body."

Juanitas000 February 12, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with ADD and my doctor recommended me to take vyvanse 40mg. The first day I took it around 6:00 am and it started to work about an hour in. I was able to focus very well and was a lot more sociable. However, the good effects of the medicine only lasted for 5 hours and then everything went downhill and I felt depressed. My heart was beating faster than usual, dry mouth, and had no desire for food. The next day thinking it would be better, it didn't kick in until around 2:00pm and only lasted for a few hours. Sometimes it would leave me feeling very antisocial and aggitated. Today is my last day taking it because it hasn't worked for me at all today. Wasn't hungry all day, felt very sweaty, nervous, aggitated, out of breathe."

Sam*18 February 10, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this medication when I was 45 years old and started back to college. I never excelled in college in my younger years and actually made the Deans list after taking Vyvanse. I am now almost sixty. I really don't need it other than helping my golf game once in a while. I just wanted to say that it is a great medication for keeping ones focus, however I did experience quite a bit of hair loss. I only take 20mg. I do take breaks on this medication and have noticed that my hair grows much thicker when I am off of it. Just an FYI."

joyous52 (taken for 10 years or more) February 4, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience has been great and horrifying. Now, to explain myself I will list the effects I've had so far. I am on my fourth dose of my 40 mg vyvanse. I was put on 40 because my doctor said it would be okay. ADVERSE EFFECTS: *Severe* Just today on my fourth dose I had experienced something new my entire life..sitting on my chair I lifted my leg and was overcome with the feeling of it, "falling asleep". It was overcome abruptly out of nowhere with the feeling of tiny bubbles in the numbers of thousands racing from my foot up to my thigh without any of these, in idea of description bubbles popping. Until it reached my thigh when it was immediately somewhat relieved...skip to later today and my leg was paralyzed almost"

Jonnomad (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just recently started on vyvanse, and it works very well! So I'm 21, and in the past I've been on adderall, Ritalin and strattera. But none work as good as vyvanse. Adderall worked but left me feeling jittery, and Ritalin when it wore off I became angry. And strattera that's a whole nother story! But the main thing I like about vyvanse is I still am me. I don't feel jittery or like a robot. I'm me just with everything at a more calm controlled manner. The only downfalls are that it takes 2 hours to start working and only last 6-7 hours when I was told it would be 14 hours. But other than that it gets 2 thumbs up and 5 gold stars!"

Siago (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was first given this drug when I was only 6, I started having horrible crashes When I was 7 I started getting hallucinations of my toys coming to life and beating me to death and I'd scream and kick when my parents came in to try to calm me down. I have 30min-4 hour anxiety attacks, I feel sad empty and useless, I felt like everyone was judging me and I almost committed suicide twice, once when I was only 9. I tried stopping the drug but found the nausea, pain, and anxiety only got worse without the medication so now I'm stuck,. These people saying the drug is great have not been on it for long, please if you are thinking of getting this drug, don't."

Kate Ogden January 29, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son was diagnosis with ADD two years ago. He was also struggling with Anxiety. Was seeing a therapist. He is now 17 A year ago he was put on Vyvanse 30mg and 50mg of Zoloft. My son did say that by the last couple of class it wears off. 3 months ago we down his Zoloft to 25mg. His therapist discharged him saying he didn't need to come any more. Now the 30mg doesn't seem to be working. We went back to his doctor who is new since his doctor left the firm. She is putting him on 40mg of Vyvanse. His other doctor didn't want to go up. I wanted to up the Zoloft back to 50mg. Doctor says no take the higher dose of Vyvanse. I have not started it yet. Have to wait because I just got the lower dose and the discount card won't pay twice."

Mom to son 17 January 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was kinda focused in school when I took this but that was only for the first period or 2, I ended up getting really tired and was getting a lot of anxiety and had like 3 panic attacks (this was my first time ever being on any kind of ADHD medication)"

Kike126790 January 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started Vyvanse (30mg) about 3 years ago, and still on it to this day! I am extremely more concentrated, and have more motivation throughout the entire day. This medication saved my life, and I have not looked back every since! Plus you loose weight, so that's a plus (:"

Anonymous January 20, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have to give Vyvanse a solid 10. I asked my Dr to switch me from Adderall instant release 20mg 2x a day to Vyvanse and in my honest opinion this was the best decision I made. Vyvanse helps me focus, more motivation, feels more subtle which I absolutely love. Adderall for some reason made me feel like a different person, but with vyvanse I feel like myself still which is great. It is really long lasting, I don't know or understand how people say it only last for a few hours when in my experience it last a good 12-13 hrs. In fact I heard people say it loses potency after 4 hours or so but in my experience I think it actually increases. But this is just my experience, and maybe metabolism aswell but anyway I hope this is helpful for others."

GalactikJ January 16, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Ok so I'm 18 I'm have been taking these for a little under a year and it keeps you very attentive specially because I have school and after school activities along with homework. It does help you focus although it suppresses my appetite a little too much I try to force myself to eat but it seems like I can't. I have a loss about 25 pounds and went from a size 8 to a 4 in jeans because of this medication. I don't know if anyone else experienced this but it won't allow me to keep food or fluids in my system I continue to run to the bathroom all night and all day sometimes even at four in the morning. But for the most part it's a good product for what it's used for."

Ms.ny (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 9, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Vyvanse has been a fantastic medication. It is far better than other medications that I have tried. It last all day and when you take the right dose you don't notice it kicking in and you don't notice it when it wears out. I take it first thing in the morning at 5-6. I was taking 20 mg and that seemed to work well. I am currently on a two week trial with 30 mg to see if this works better. This is a medication where it works best when you find the sweet spot. Just because you don't notice an initial buzz does not mean it does not work. The other very important factor is caffeine . This should be keep to a minimum as the combination will light you up . If you feel anxiety, don't have any coffee, you will. See a real change. (:"

Dman2537 January 8, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Cons - suppresses appetite, and it sucks cause I'm already so thin! (Sz 4) Pros - increased attention, more social, and can think clearly, smoother movements.. thinking before speaking, calmer. I don't take it on weekends (job is relatively easier on weekends) and off days. ADHD (severe - combined type) I think those of you who are experiencing suicidal urges & depressive moods are more likely dealing with a much deeper issue."

ALove2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking vyvanese for about 21 months. I have been taking 30 mg and will not up it. I am 63 and sought help after reading some blogs about older adults taking this to help focus and have more energy. I have never really taken any medication my whole life. I take it mainly on work days and if off or on vacation I generally don't take it. On this blog it sounds like a lot users have other issues. Anyways this medication has worked wonders for me, makes me more sociable, happy and able to continue concentrate. I work as an engineer. I follow my doctors recommendation in taking it first thing in the morning with food. It generally wears off about 4-5 pm, no sleep problem. I highly recommend for older adults but keep dose low."

Older engineer December 31, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Felt more attentive and helped take away depression I had lived with for years."

PhillyGuy0917 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 16, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been using this medication for almost 2 years now, absolutely no side effects. Even noticed an improvement in general nervous system and HRV with the meds. Huge difference from the ritalin and concerta which gave me various allergic(increased body temps, skin issues) and "intimate" issues. No such issues with this medication. Using 60mg most of the year, but 30mg in summers, since I don't need that much when there is no requirements to what I need to get done. Lowering dose also helps with sociability for me, whereas higher doses gives me extreme focus and drive to stay on task."

notropicnootropics (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took for two months, 1 Capsule a day for my ADD. I have tried most ADHD medicines, stimulant and non- stimulant types. I was expecting a 'non event' transition, from adderall, to Dexedrine predominant Vyvanse. I have used Dexedrine and found it helpful with focus and follow through issues, with minimal side effects. Vyvanse did not turn out to be what I'd hoped for. Minimal fuss, and a stable continuation of living and treating my ADD. Vyvanse Had no similarities to Dexedrine . Felt sad, bad, and disconnected from being in the moment. Side effects did not disappear during course of treatment. Somehow a perfectly acceptable Drug ingredient, Dexedrine, became Lisdexamphetamine. The long acting formulation benefit is lost, to a imposter drug"

ccastenskiold (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2016