User Reviews for Lisdexamfetamine

Also known as: Vyvanse

Learn more about Lisdexamfetamine.

Lisdexamfetamine Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Lisdexamfetamine to treat ADHD

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "My son is 14 and has always been super sensitive to these meds- he was diagnosed at 6 ADHD. We started with concerta- he lost 11 lbs in 5 weeks. We switched to a slow release methylphenidate. At Christmas, it was felt that maybe he needed something different- his last increase didn't seem to be helping. That's when we started vyvanse. I have seriously mixed feelings about this drug. There is some control of the hyperactivity component but he's grouchier, more argumentative and not really more productive. Is it age and adolescence?"

Salmon head (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "First i want to say that everyone is different and not everyone reacts the same to medication. I started with Concerta, it didn't work for me at all. I didn't feel like myself, it took over my personality and I started to have heavy anxiety, panic attacks, anti social and paranoia. Then I got Vyvance and its life changing, It doesn't feel like I'm on a prescription. It's more a tool that helps me get through everyday life. I'm much calmer, I can concentrate on one thing at the time. I get so much more done and I feel like I'm in peace with my mind. My patience has improved, I'm less impulsive and I can sit for a long time straight without feeling bubbly or restless. Side effect- Dry mouth, no appetite. But EAT and eat smart, it gets back."

26y/o woman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I've been on vyvanse for about 2 days now and I can't believe the difference from the other two medications I've tried. (Adderall and Focalin) I was diagnosed about a year and a half ago, I was not diagnosed when I was younger, which would've have really explained a lot. First I tried adderall, it didn't do much but make me a bit irritable, and still not focusing was on 50mg a day 30mg in the morning and a 20mg in the afternoon, and I didn't notice a thing. Next was the generic of Focalin, which dild absolutely NOTHING! With vyvanse I feel like I can concentrate on one thing at a time, and not have the urge to start 10 other things. My doctor put me on 70 mg in the morning, it's a bit of a slow start, but once it doesn't its a very productive"

Delorian88 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "This medicine may help but if I missed a day, or tried to get off it completely, worst experience ever. It's basically pharmaceutical meth, try older meds like dexatrin or Ritalin. Vyvanse withdrawals are awful so once you're on it it's hard to get off"

Christicroo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "Today was my first day on this medication (30mg). I am 27 year old female, diagnosed at 14 with ADHD. I was prescribes dexies when diagnosed and because of the strength of the narcotic, I wasn't able to continue them and chose to find alternative ways to deal with my ADHD. As a full time university student and a single mother, I find it difficult to stay focused and keep up with my daily routine. I felt completely overwhelmed recently to the point I would procrastinate and nothing would get done. That in itself caused me anxiety. It was triggered because of that fact I am dealing with a custody battle and that issue has consumed my attention, and felt because of that I was unable to do the things I needed to accomplish. So far so good."

Ashleigh Michelle April 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "First - diagnosis is mild ADHD. 11 years old. 50mg. Our experience with my son and vyvanse. He was on this medication for approximately 9 months. For the first few weeks, he was sort of hyperfocused and had difficulty with transitioning from a task if he was fixated on it. He transitioned well to middle school and achieved great grades. However, he lost a lot of weight. About 15lbs. He had horrible insomnia. He slowly became very emotional and depressed in the afternoons and evenings. We decided to stop the medication. Within weeks he was back to himself and his doctor advised him to stay off the medication."

Jane672017 April 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "My 8 year old was diagnosed with ADHD this year. We tried a non-stimulant first (guanfacine) but it didn't work plus she was soo sleepy on this. Switched to 30mg of Vyvanse and instantly her grades & school performance increased. She also plays sports and has improved due to better focus. We constantly had to yell out into the softball field to "be ready" prior to the medication. Now, she's always ready to go. Side effects to begin were insomnia for about 3 days. Dr. suggested 2mg of melatonin which worked fine. We did melatonin for 2 days then she was back to falling asleep on her own. Weight loss is also an issue. She's down about 6 lbs but she's tall 4' 7" and weighed 94 lbs. I don't give it to her on the weekend and she eats ok"

Desiq (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I have been on Vyvanse for about 10 months. It is an amazing drug to reduce distraction, calm the hyper/distractable me and just enjoy life a bit better. The only downside for me are two things: firstly, the afternoon crash can suck. I often am left feeling a little anxious or irritated. The other thing, and probably the more annoying side affect, is that is does impact my sleep. To minimize these side affects, here are my tips that work for me: 1) stop drinking coffee or other stimulants. 1b) wait until you are properly awake before you take it... 2) don't drink on medication days. 3) schedule your diet and stick with it. 4) exercise in the morning (before taking it). 5) have your no medication / chill days."

Redford32 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I was on Vyvance for just under 1 year. It worked really well. However as the year went on my mouth got dryer and dryer, until I could only eat soft foods. I talked to the Doctor and I went off them in the middle of January. About 3 weeks ago I started a new med called AdderallXR and I can feel my mouth is starting to dry but not like the Vyvance. While in the USA I found some mini "brush on the go" toothbrushes made by Colgate, called Wisp Max Fresh. With dryness my teeth always feel like I have a film on them. Today I used one of the brushes and and it really made my teeth and the dryness feel better. No need for water or rinsing. Maybe I can cut down on the gum and candy. We'll see!"

grammaDebbi March 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I've been on vyvanse for about a year maybe a year and a half but damn this medication is amazing when you take it normally, I say normally because I usually only take it when I know I gotta focus so like for school, work, a project, etc but when I'm just home I don't take it. Now vyvanse has helped me so so much its just the getting the medication on time is what I struggle with, because I've noticed now that when I'm off vyvanse my ADHD is way worse like the anger and getting distracted part. Yet I don't like taking pills in general I know they do damage inside but if it works it works you know I'd rather struggle with the medication than have to deal with ADHD alone."

Ezm14 March 21, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "My son is 6 they started him off on Concerta he seemed fine we had minimal complaint the only downside is everyday around 7 he would be in moods over silly things, but it would pass. Now the Vayvanse had him in "HULK" mode as he would describe it. He was very snappy and angry and became aggressive with the kids at school, (which was never an issue before). I hated that stuffed. I'm beginning to realize that finding the right meds is going to be a HUGE task."

Just mom (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "After a few days on vyvance I started sleeping only 2-4 hours a night, then my doctor raised my dosage, now I was on 30 mg. And then a few weeks pass and I started to get really aggressive, yelling at people when I got just a little mad (like if someone accidentally bumped into me while walking down the hallway) And if that wasn't bad enough, I still couldn't focus in school. and the longer I took it the worse my sleep pattern got. I started staying up about 40 hours at a time and sleeping for about 8 hours, And then finally my parents decided to take action and take me off of it. it took me about 7 months to get back to sleeping on a regular schedule"

sallygally (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "When I was put on Lisdexamfetamine within a month of first taking it everything has improved. Things I would not normally do. I did my daily tasks, showing interest in things, my impulsiveness movement has slowed down, my thoughts slowed down and I can sit down and talk to people and hold a conversation with people. A big thing that this medication has is the fat ingredient so I am now 11 stone as I was previously 9 stone so a big improvement. Within a month in everything as a person so this medication is a big thing in my life and feel the doctor has made the correct choice. I would recommend it to anyone who ADHD like me and if they are on it you will see improvement like i have big time!."

Jay Sas March 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I had good grades. I could concentrate. But, I became very aggressive. I had to stop taking."

jacobfhoke (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "My 9 yr old son started vyvanse two weeks ago (lowest dosage) and we saw positive results right away. In addition to ADHD he has a writing disorder and will literally sit and stare at his paper for hours because he can't get his thoughts written out. The first day he tried vyvanse he took it in the morning and then came home from school and without being asked he finished his book (25 pages) and then sat down and wrote a 2.5 page book report! I have not noticed a change in his appetite and he has only experienced some minor sleep issues but it does not seem to really bother him. Testing has shown my son to be highly intelligent but his grades do not reflect that - I finally have hope that he can reach his potential!"

Mom with Hope (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I have been taking Vyvanse 30mg for 2 weeks for adult ADHD. It has been very helpful for me to stay on task at work and get things done that normally I would have a hard time with. I used to get very overwhelmed with what needed to be done and completely shut down, not getting anything done at all! Then beating myself up for being a procrastinator etc. I have not had any issues with insomnia or any other side effects, besides the normal appetite suppression during the day, which as resulted in an 8lb weight loss in 2 weeks. No complaints here as I need to lose about 20. I recommend not drinking more than 1 or 2 cups of coffee while taking this. I did once and was jacked up. Not a good feeling. I highly recommend taking this if you are an attention deficit"

Ashley35yearoldFemale (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "My cousin's son takes this medicine and he almost 12, They recently increased the dosage to 40 mg. I have doubts on whether he is a better student because he seems to struggle with school regardless of being on the medicine. Apart from school, it seems to have scary side effects - major weight loss, no appetite whatsoever, anti-social behavior, argumentative attitude that noticeably goes away on the weekends when he is not on the medicine. Is the dosage possibly too much? I wonder if the drug has affected his mental health related to food as well, borderline anorexia? He is less than 80 pounds now and I want to say something to intervene. Recently he broke out in sweats at dinner one Friday night with rapid breathing, really scared."

Need Advice for 11 yr old (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 14, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "Things to be mindful of: Can cause extreme anorexia-be careful if you are struggling with anorexia or bulimia nervosa; Helps reduce binge eating greatly- good for binge eating disorder and bulimia when the person is trying to correct bingeing and not abusing the drug as a way of losing weight; Can cause depression, suicidal ideations, and tiredness- Usually is a result of taking a dose that is too high and the symptoms usually occur once the meds start to wear off; Can cause severe anxiety- taking Vyvanse at a dose that is too high can cause severe anxiety, this can usually be resolved by lowering the dose. Some of these things can be resolved by adjusting the dosage but sometimes a specific medication doesn't work well with your body."

Juanitas000 February 12, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I was diagnosed with ADD and my doctor recommended me to take vyvanse 40mg. The first day I took it around 6:00 am and it started to work about an hour in. I was able to focus very well and was a lot more sociable. However, the good effects of the medicine only lasted for 5 hours and then everything went downhill and I felt depressed. My heart was beating faster than usual, dry mouth, and had no desire for food. The next day thinking it would be better, it didn't kick in until around 2:00pm and only lasted for a few hours. Sometimes it would leave me feeling very antisocial and aggitated. Today is my last day taking it because it hasn't worked for me at all today. Wasn't hungry all day, felt very sweaty, nervous, aggitated, out of breathe."

Sam*18 February 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I started this medication when I was 45 years old and started back to college. I never excelled in college in my younger years and actually made the Deans list after taking Vyvanse. I am now almost sixty. I really don't need it other than helping my golf game once in a while. I just wanted to say that it is a great medication for keeping ones focus, however I did experience quite a bit of hair loss. I only take 20mg. I do take breaks on this medication and have noticed that my hair grows much thicker when I am off of it. Just an FYI."

joyous52 (taken for 10 years or more) February 4, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "My experience has been great and horrifying. Now, to explain myself I will list the effects I've had so far. I am on my fourth dose of my 40 mg vyvanse. I was put on 40 because my doctor said it would be okay. ADVERSE EFFECTS: *Severe* Just today on my fourth dose I had experienced something new my entire life..sitting on my chair I lifted my leg and was overcome with the feeling of it, "falling asleep". It was overcome abruptly out of nowhere with the feeling of tiny bubbles in the numbers of thousands racing from my foot up to my thigh without any of these, in idea of description bubbles popping. Until it reached my thigh when it was immediately somewhat relieved...skip to later today and my leg was paralyzed almost"

Jonnomad (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I just recently started on vyvanse, and it works very well! So I'm 21, and in the past I've been on adderall, Ritalin and strattera. But none work as good as vyvanse. Adderall worked but left me feeling jittery, and Ritalin when it wore off I became angry. And strattera that's a whole nother story! But the main thing I like about vyvanse is I still am me. I don't feel jittery or like a robot. I'm me just with everything at a more calm controlled manner. The only downfalls are that it takes 2 hours to start working and only last 6-7 hours when I was told it would be 14 hours. But other than that it gets 2 thumbs up and 5 gold stars!"

Siago (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I was first given this drug when I was only 6, I started having horrible crashes When I was 7 I started getting hallucinations of my toys coming to life and beating me to death and I'd scream and kick when my parents came in to try to calm me down. I have 30min-4 hour anxiety attacks, I feel sad empty and useless, I felt like everyone was judging me and I almost committed suicide twice, once when I was only 9. I tried stopping the drug but found the nausea, pain, and anxiety only got worse without the medication so now I'm stuck,. These people saying the drug is great have not been on it for long, please if you are thinking of getting this drug, don't."

Kate Ogden January 29, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "My son was diagnosis with ADD two years ago. He was also struggling with Anxiety. Was seeing a therapist. He is now 17 A year ago he was put on Vyvanse 30mg and 50mg of Zoloft. My son did say that by the last couple of class it wears off. 3 months ago we down his Zoloft to 25mg. His therapist discharged him saying he didn't need to come any more. Now the 30mg doesn't seem to be working. We went back to his doctor who is new since his doctor left the firm. She is putting him on 40mg of Vyvanse. His other doctor didn't want to go up. I wanted to up the Zoloft back to 50mg. Doctor says no take the higher dose of Vyvanse. I have not started it yet. Have to wait because I just got the lower dose and the discount card won't pay twice."

Mom to son 17 January 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): "I was kinda focused in school when I took this but that was only for the first period or 2, I ended up getting really tired and was getting a lot of anxiety and had like 3 panic attacks (this was my first time ever being on any kind of ADHD medication)"

Kike126790 January 23, 2017