User Reviews for Lisdexamfetamine to treat ADHD

Also known as: Vyvanse

Lisdexamfetamine has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 713 ratings for the treatment of ADHD. 64% of those users who reviewed Lisdexamfetamine reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Lisdexamfetamine Rating Summary

7.4/10 average rating

Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Lisdexamfetamine

rustynail23 May 2, 2021

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I’ve been on Vyvanse for about two months now and the experience has been wonderful. I should say one morning I had just gotten out of my driveway when I remembered I had forgotten to take it. By then it was nearly 7am so there was a definite notice when the medicine started to work that day. Usually I take it around 5:30am so by the time I get to work it’s working well. I’m well focused throughout the day, less anxious, I don’t fidget as much, and less agitated. The same cannot be said for Adderrall. If I had to say one negative thing about Vyvanse is that my engine is still revving when I’m ready to wind down for the day, so it takes me a few hours to wind down. I have a great insurance plan but before the prior authorization kicked in the cost was well over $400. With the coupon well over $200, once the prior authorization kicked in with my insurance, $30. So I feel very lucky. I wish the best for all of you seeking help for ADD or ADHD. Give Vyvanse a try, great drug.”

JD47 · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2021

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “Only on it for a few days and I do not like it. I feel more irritable and I noticed new symptoms that I never had before – muscle pain mostly around my right lower back and hip. I was at the hospital and I did have blood work done and my kidneys are fine according to the ER doctor. I'm not saying it is a bad med but I won't take something that is making me hurt. I read online that muscle pain is common with this medication so everyone be aware. My pain is severe enough that I had to stop it. I never had this issue with Adderall so I'm going to try something else. Listen to your body and report all side effects to your doctor.”

SaintGalahad · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2021

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “Recently diagnosed with ADHD, after explaining all of my symptoms I’ve had over the course of my lifetime. Started on Adderall and was highly anxious and itching to argue with someone, and my heart rate was resting in the mid 90s. Switched to Vyvanse and it’s been a game changer. I’m calm and focused and feel much more refreshed. I’m able to complete tasks without getting sidetracked and my overall mood has improved greatly as well. My heart rate doesn’t skyrocket either and I no longer feel anxious.”

Jared · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 12, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I have ADHD, Bipolar Depression, Opioid Side Effects. First do not pay attention to negative reviews about Vyvanse on here. I will tell you now that I would not be able to function without Vyvanse 70 mg QAM being on board. It gives me smooth sustained focus, a mental state of peace, relief from depression, potentiation of opioid narcotics (thus needing less opioids overall), drive, ability to sit still, work a great job, having meaningful conversations, have good relationships, take part in everyday life, workout and even sleep well. It does take a while to kick in so I wake up in the morning like 2 hours before I need to then take the med and go back to sleep. When I wake up the drug is active and working. With Vyvanse I get 10-14 hours of relief and at the end of the day there is a gentle come down that doesn’t leave me an anxious wreck. In fact Vyvanse helps with anxiety profoundly, far better than benzodiazepines which sounds crazy but many people report the same thing.”

Bianca August 30, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “At first while taking this medication, the side effects I experienced included increases in heart rate (which made me feel a bit lightheaded and weak), stomach discomforts (making me less hungry throughout my day). These are things you will experience with anxiety which is something I dealt with growing up, and wasn't much of a concern for me while on the medication, but something to note for people looking to use Vyvanse for the first time. You will notice an increase of motivation!! Taking this medication was more helpful then my antidepressants were in the sense that it made me feel so much more motivated to do everyday activities. If you're concerned about effects this medication will have on your weight, know that you will have a loss in appetite and experience weightloss. Before taking Vyvanse, my weight was at 125lbs. After few months, I dropped to 110lbs. When I took a break from using this medication for focus and motivation, my weight went back to 123lbs. Thanks for reading!”

WI_RN December 14, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I'm in my 40s and have known I had ADHD for a long time but never had the desire to go on medication for it. Now with a good job, a new house, and the desire to complete an advanced degree, I felt it was finally time to have a go. My psychiatrist was more than happy to oblige and started me on 20mg. Within the first few hours, I had done the dishes, paid some (late) bills, took the dog for a nice long walk, and generally just felt calmer than I have in a long time. I am not taking this medication for weight loss, but my impulse control around food was also noticeably improved. I actually thought about what I was eating and even logged it into my WW app without a second thought. I was worried that my heart was going to be pounding out of my chest and I was going to feel like I had drank 10 cups of coffee, but it wasn't that feeling at all. I just felt focused and calm, just like I hoped.”

Randomperson · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 18, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I take Vyvanse for ADHD AND Binge Eating Disorder. I began taking 50 mg Vyvanse August 2016, and currently take the same amount. Over a span of about 2 years I lost 70 pounds and got into the best shape of my life. I had great eating habits. I was sociable and doing great. I got everything done in a timely manner. All the sudden, it stopped working 2.5 years after I started taking it. I gained over 30 lbs in about 3.5 months. All my hard work just disappeared. I don’t know what happened, but it is devastating: I am so tired all the time, have no drive to do anything, binge eat everyday, I’m angry and irritable. It’s been like this for months. I’m a shell of myself. I suggest it for short term use but not long term. If anyone else experienced this I’d love to hear about it.”

Mamabear · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I’ve been on vyvanse for about 2 months now and I absolutely love it. I was on adderall on and off for about 8 years and I hated taking it. It helped immensely with my ADHD, but not without side effects. I also had to take about 3 increasing doses a day to keep the effect going. I switched to 70 mg of Vyvanse once a day and it lasts all day long. The side effects are very minimal and it doesn’t affect my appetite or social skills. There is no high and no crash. Adderall made me very aware that I was on medication, whereas Vyvanse is much less intense and has a very smooth feeling.”

Tommy June 10, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I've had issues trying to retain information and understanding test questions and there were days where I felt very tired and depressed to were I couldn't wake up though after forcing myself to get out of bed. I would notice my depression would get worse which made my attention span shorter but after several years I decided to enter nursing school and right off the bat my fundamentals teacher told me that I was struggling to pay attention and that I seemed tired and so she advised me to go see a different psychiatrist. I did take her advice and I went to a different psychiatrist and he believed I had borderline ADD non-hyperactive which he prescribed me Vyvanse and after 3 months of adjusting I experienced the willingness to participate in more conversations and wanting to engage in certain school activities which made me more happy and energized. ”

Mimi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2021

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I struggled with Manic Depression, PTSD, minor bipolar, and ADHD since I was around 6yro. Long story short, I had drug addict parents , kidnapped and raped as a 11yro for 3yrs, pregnant at 16 lived with friends of family till 18 graduated at 20yr. I have 4 wonderful kids but my life is a constant struggle of mood swings, flash backs etc... My doctor gave me the 40mg to start and besides a few minor side effects (higher anxiety on and off for the 1st week, lessened appetite) I have not felt this happy since my kids births. My older kids have noticed my home is cleaner, up earlier in the mornings, I can stay on one train of thought before moving on to another, and my younger kids are happy that their mother can play with them without running off to the bathroom after 10min because I couldn't stop crying. No medication can change you 100% of the time, I still have some off days but far and very few between.”

Jayat August 31, 2019

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I'm going to start with the negatives then positives in regards to vyvanse. When i first started taking this medication the side effects were less than desirable! Anxiety, agitation, palpitations, unable to socialize all horrible for day to day living. BUT - as my doctor told me - you have to find the dose thats right for you and you have to let your body adjust to the medication. Well holy moly! Once you find the right dose that works for you, it's like a whole new world! Motivation, sense of wellbeing, able to focus on day to day tasks. This has been an absolute MIRACLE and has changed my life ten fold. I encourage anyone who starts taking vyvanse to give it a fair chance, let your body adjust, and try to find what dose works best for you. Because when you do find it, you'll be functioning on a whole new level! Cheers”

rustynail23 · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “A little update on my short time on Vyvanse 50mg. This past week was a pretty good one, at times I would get irritated with things at work but all in all great focus overall. It lasted through my workday unlike Adderrall and even a little past work. I still had my desire to eat lunch each day, I didn’t have a dry mouth, and really didn’t notice any side effects at all. They say if you take a drug like Vyvanse and don’t have ADHD or like me ADD you’ll experience an intense, euphoric high, well none of that here. Great drug.”

Roscoe February 1, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “My (unprofessional) advice is to take positive reviews from people who have taken this drug for a short time with a very large grain of salt. Vyvanse is basically a legal amphetamine and the body takes time to react to it and eventually builds tolerance to it. The "Vyvyanse Crash" is real, in my experience, as many others have observed. This often leads to patients continually upping their dosages. As for ADD and ADHD, it is interesting that both have become epidemics in the U.S., but not in Europe. I believe this is because in the US of the massive profitability pharmaceutical experience in developing new drugs for every affliction. That is just my opinion. Regular exercise and diet are natural ways to address depression, ADD, ADHD and other conditions. Common sense, but the pharma companies can't profit from it. Everyone's physiology is different, so give Vyvance a try. I hope it helps you.”

Skribble February 12, 2010

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “As a 44 year old male, who recently went for treatment of this problem. I went for almost 43 with always knowing that something was missing. Being a over achiever I made every attempt to complete everything but never really completed anything. This drug has changed that. It allows me to focus on the task that I have in front of me and complete it. Which has been a breath of fresh air for my job, my marriage and my kids.”

Cangirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 9, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “This drug ruins lives. It causes moodiness, angry outbursts, and paranoia. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the beast, the individuals don't see themselves as moody, unhappy, or angry. Despite the claims, it is not non-addictive and it does cause addiction in some individuals. I've seen it in kids and adults. If you are using it for your kids, I don't judge you (because medication can be life changing and necessary for functioning), just monitor emotional/social side effects. I hope it works well for some people, but I've seen it cause so much turmoil.”

It changed my life · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 6, 2019

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I have anxiety, depression, OCD, and PTSD. Vyvanse took care of my Depression, anxiety, and PTSD. My straight D GPA skyrocketed to a straight 99% in every single class. I’m in the masters program now and my life has flipped a 180. I’m a functional, HAPPY adult”

JJ November 26, 2019

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “Since I can remember, I have always had trouble concentrating or keeping a straight thought in my head. Grades were always so-so cause you could forget trying to sit down and read a book or study. Out like a light, zzzzzz. Fast forward to turning 40 and I start traveling for work. By 2PM everyday, it's like someone pulled the plug on me and I'm running in quicksand. Literally feels like Vaseline over your eyes. Finally went to the Dr and said something has to give. He started me on 30MG. It was a complete gamechanger. Felt like I had a turbo installed. Brain worked like never before. Computer work, no problem. Read a book all day. Best part, it didn't interrupt my sleep. We tried various other ADHD medicine and I got the anxiety and buzzing effects from Ritaline and Adderall. This was a life changer for me.”

Olemissrbs · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2015

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “My son who is nine was just started on Vyvanse for ADD. He was not hyperactive just couldn't focus. We struggled with from preschool to third grade. Held him back in first that helped a little. Then third grade about killed him. Medications were my last resort. Scared me to death to put him on medicines, 100% difference. Teacher said it was like a fog lifted. I'm like wow. Decreased appetite only side affect. But not bad.”

Lucy · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 22, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I started taking Vyvanse sophomore year of high school and my grades went up and I actually became a good student. But I went from 142 lbs to 117 lbs. Not a good medicine if you are not okay with losing weight.”

JustSomeGuyInLife March 5, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “A total life changer! I have become much happier and much more motivated in life. I have always had trouble paying attention, would drift off, daydream, get stuck in my head. My grades in high school weren't bad, but they definitely could have been better if I didn't procrastinate and be lazy all of the time and keep putting things off. Because of this, I suffered depression and lack of self esteem because I thought others were better or smarter than me. That being said, there is anxiety when the drug wears off and unfortunately, the effects of the drug itself don't last long for me, I'd say about 4 hours max. So I always have my days planned out in order to maximize my productivity. But I am in a much better place in my life now. 21 years old in CC planning to transfer soon and much more motivated and driven. One more thing. This medication is not for everyone. You may not have the experience with it that I or others did. Find which med works for you.”

Grateful April 7, 2021

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I have seen mental health experts on and off for over 50 yrs. Never diagnosed other than it's just the way I am and your getting by. I was alwAys a scatterbrain and always at the bottom of my class. I started taking Vyvanse through my own research and had a doctor put me on it. It's like somebody turned on a light switch. No more brain fog. No more scatterbrain. I found my self confidence. Wish I found this decades ago but so grateful I'm on it now. Thank you, thank you, thank you.”

Lisa December 2, 2019

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I am 50 year old woman with ADHD in addition to mild OCD. I was prescribed Vyvanse for focus and motivation at a high stress job. This drug was amazing at first; I felt calm, focused, confident and organized for the first time in my life. I take 60 mg at 7 am and it wore off about 4. Six months later and It is still helpful with motivation and confidence. That said, I now get too focused on details, and by evening am anxious, irritable and don’t want to do anything. I have a hard time waking up. I tried on the weekend to not take it and had terrible depression, anger and crying. I ended up taking it to function. It has started causing anxiety, I’m too talkative, and procrastinate tasks I dislike. I am antisocial after work. Without it I am emotional and want to sleep all day. I tried 5 mg Adderall IR in late afternoon but that caused me to stay up late and could barely get up. It was so helpful at first but now I’m worried and am trying to wean off.”

Anonymous June 6, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I'm already a thin male. I'm normally 6'1 and about 145. Always been a really thin guy, "Bean pole" is what I get a lot or "dip stick" lol. Now it's gotten even worse with vyvanse. In about 3 weeks I've lost about 10 pounds. I'm currently 135lb and still dropping. I don't eat nearly enough and work really hard plus golf a lot in the heat. I don't necessarily feel sick I just have zero desire to ever eat. Eating seems like a task and a chore now rather then a treat and something I enjoy. It's the ONLY negative with this medication for me. I'm going to start a weight gain shake and begin counting calories to see if that helps me go back to my normal weight.”

Nomorestimulants January 12, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I was on Adderall for about 10 years. Then doctor switched me to Vyvanse because the side effects were apparently less. Spent roughly 7 years on Vyvanse. The med works in the matter because it's a stimulant, but the side effects make your life much worse. I began isolating, and began experiencing bi polar behaviors. I would drink alcohol to the point where I passed out because I couldn't sleep otherwise, and eventually became an opiate addict because it would actually take the edge off. I know that is not probably a very common result but it is not unheard of. I felt like I was not in control of myself. Heart rate and blood pressure goes up, weight goes down. Do not put children on this medicine. Finally I stopped all ADHD meds when I got clean, and actually learned how to USE MY ADHD TO MY ADVANTAGE. I have a daughter. I am sure someone will want to diagnose her as ADHD at some point but I will never ever let my children be put on stimulants.”

Changed my life · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2014

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I have been on ADD meds off and on for about 10 years. I'm 33 and before Vyvance I had tried Concerta and Adderrall. While the other two were ok, they did not benefit me nearly as much as Vyvance. In one semester I went from making a 50 on a College Algebra test to making a 100% on the comprehensive final. My professor said he had never seen anything like it, someone going from a 50 to 100. For the first time in my life I remembered to pay bills on time, I don't forget about the clothes in the washer for days, or forget to turn off the stove. I feel so much more accomplished!!”

Lizzie80 · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2013

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I wasn't a hyperactive kid. I have a high IQ (not bragging- just got genetically lucky there), so no one ever thought I had ADD, including me. However, looking back I never could get homework done on time. My backpack, school binder & bedroom were always a mess. As an adult I learned many organizational skills, but continued to struggle terribly with lack of motivation, focus & enjoyment in life, despite living in abundant material comfort. When I started taking 30mg of this a day at my doctor's urging, it was as if a bright light flooded what had previously only been utter darkness in my brain for 30 years. There's no "buzz" to this medicine. It's simply a means to reaching a more positive mindset that I thought I was barred from forever.”

Anonymous September 22, 2020

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “I had taken Vyvanse as a kid, worked great for a bit, then it just stopped working years later, so I stopped taking it, my grades went down to being bad 10th grade, I tried it again because I was failing classes cause I could never stay focused, I took it again, immediately my grades became better and I finished off the year amazingly, the year after it wasn't as effective but I also started taking AP at the time, but I could feel myself getting more sidetracked, I had a girlfriend at the time, Vyvanse changed my personality a lot. I wouldn't have much emotion if it wasn't related to what I was doing and started to get in fights with my girlfriend, and fights with my parents, with my girlfriend I was obsessed with sex, being right, and in general I would just be angry all the time, it would hit its peak when the crash would happen later, eventually she left me and I fell apart and stopped taking it so I wouldn't hurt anyone, and to this day since I stopped taking it I'm not happy.”

Sj · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 22, 2019

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine): “It works well, some of the reviews on here are just strange. One of them being someone was taking this for depression and they complained it didn't work? Well I wonder why their Doctor prescribed it to them as it is for ADHD and BED. But all in all, if you follow the regime correctly you're going to be fine.”