User Reviews for Cytomel to treat Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal

Cytomel has an average rating of 8.5 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal. 88% of those users who reviewed Cytomel reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Cytomel Rating Summary

8.5/10 average rating

Compare all 19 medications used in the treatment of Hypothyroidism, After Thyroid Removal.

Laurie B August 31, 2019

“I have had Hashimoto's hypothyroidism for 40 years. I was on generic levothyroxine for most of that time. As I reached 50 my new endocrinologist decided I should add 5mcg (of very potent) T3 aka Cytomel to my 150mcg of levothyroxine. Initially like many patients I felt great, then it got real bad. I am sorry, I know some people do very well on it, BUT many do not. Here is what I experienced in order of severity- Super dark Thoughts Severe Depression Rage Rapidly Cycling Moods Facial Swelling Extreme Itching Nighttime Coughing Intense Migraines Insomnia Heat Intolerance Dilated Neck Veins Extreme Fatigue Hot Flashes with the Inability to Sweat If you experience any or all of these You Are Not Alone and You Are NOT Crazy!”

Mieke · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2019

“Changed my life. On Synthroid only felt exhausted and totally dysfunctional. Adding Cytomel improved my well-being, mood and energy level. It does have a greater reducing factor on your TSH. But so what. I do not have a thyroid, my bones and cardiac function are fine and I feel normal. Endocrinologists often feel that adding T3 is not necessary. They need to change their thinking.”

Sammycat · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 16, 2019

“Cytomel is causing debilitating symptoms such as severe muscle cramps/spasms and muscle pain, insomnia, ravenous appetite, profuse sweating, palpitations. When I stopped taking it, I got better. I tried to reintroduce it and to my horror, the severe spasms returned. The prescribed muscle relaxers hardly work. The endocrinologist said my symptoms are not related to the prescribed medication or to my thyroid condition!! I disagree. I've had problems with Armour in the distant past. For some reason, I can't take cytomel or armour long term.”

Tiny · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2019

“An endocrinologist put me on the (50 mg) day post TT. I felt tremendous. Then my insurance changed and I had to find a new doctor. The new doctor refused to prescribe Cytomel. So for several years I’ve been on Synthroid 200 and 300 and then Nature Throid 3 grains. The Nature Thyroid won out over the Synthroid by far. But my total T3 and FT3 were still tanked. I began seeing a functional medicine doctor who suggested T3 only medication. WHAT A LIFE CHANGER! I take 25 mg/day. Gone is the anxiety, mood swings, depression, weight gain, brain fog and insomnia. I feel like a brand new person at 62. My doctor follows my labs closely and all thyroid levels are in range (FT3 upper range, FT4 mid range). I highly recommend trying this mono therapy if you don’t have a thyroid gland and other medication regimens have failed.”

Bigi · Taken for less than 1 month July 1, 2012

“I had my thyroid removed 3 years ago. I have been on various T4 supplements since: Synthroid, levothyroxine, Tirosint and continued to complain of fatigue, fogginess, wt gain, achiness, shortness of breath at exercise. FINALLY switched doctors as my Indian doctor would not try Armour. The new nurse practitioner looked at my labs: high T4, nonexistent T3. She switched me back to Synthroid and decreased the dosage, then added, for the FIRST time, Cytomel (T3). Within 3 days I have noticed a HUGE difference. So happy and still know the time test. BUT, fog is lifting, energy level increasing, sleeping well, HAPPY. I am hoping this continues. Noticed a slight headache at first but not bad. Will continue to cautiously be excited that we are ON to something.”

Sunshine7580 September 29, 2010

“I've taken this medication for a month and I can say it has changed my life: more energy, more sex drive and losing weight. Only drawback was I get migraine headaches when I don't drink enough water. Drink lots of water with this medication.”

Shoo October 6, 2010

“I have been taking Cytomel to compliment Synthroid for 2 days and my life has already changed for the better! I feel alive and my severe sweating and hot flashes have subsided - so far. I am SO VERY happy now.”

Dana# · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 29, 2016

“I've been on Synthroid, Levoxyl, or Levothyroxine for the past 11 years at a suppressive dose and did fine. When my endocrinologist took me off of TSH suppression by lowering my dose of T4 I was miserable. Within in weeks I was exhausted, cold all the time, had brain fog, was depressed, and needed additional sleep. When I told my endocrinologist she continued to lower my dose (twice) because my TSH was suppressed. This caused me to be completely disfunctional at work and at home...I was so exhausted and everwhelmed I feared losing my job and my husband (no libido for over 6 months) and low productivity at work. I begged my endocrinologist to add T3. The dose was too low at first to make a difference but after reestablishing with a new”

Sidekick October 8, 2008

“I have been using Cytomel for 3 months. I had been on compounded T3 for 9 months, however I was experiencing increasingly severe hot flushes. Currently my hot flushes have decreased.”