User Reviews for Tradjenta to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Tradjenta has an average rating of 3.1 out of 10 from a total of 50 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2. 18% of those users who reviewed Tradjenta reported a positive effect, while 76% reported a negative effect.

Tradjenta Rating Summary

3.1/10 average rating

Compare all 158 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Tradjenta

jennylyn2005 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

“Started tradjenta almost 6 weeks ago. I thought it was fine but I started having bad anxiety, headaches, I'm tired all the time and worst of all is my sugar has gotten higher!! Dr is switching me to Januvia and I hope it helps. I can't take feeling like this. I would not recommend this drug for diabetes!”

Jen · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 16, 2021

“Tradjenta is very expensive! I take it along with Jardiance which is also very expensive! Both meds together help control my diabetes.”

Chief7396 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 14, 2020

“I started on metformin for type 2 diabetes and the doctor then added Tradjenta. Since February 2017 I have recorded my blood levels first using metformin. I was averaging about 150 before breakfast and about 130 after breakfast and cutting back on carbs. I started takin Tradjenta in July 20, 2020. My recording showed no significant decrease in my sugar levels. I stop taking Tradjenta in October 2020. My average was about the same + - either way between 2 and 4 levels. I didn't experience any side effects other then sleepiness but I think that was the metformin. I honestly don't think metformin nor Tradjenta really help. When the pharmaceutical companies that make Tradjenta and put that the use of the drug MAY help, that should raise questions. Especially when pharmaceutical companies are charging $400 for 30 pills and I pay $40.00 thru insurance. This Tradjenta will probably make it to the law suit arena. Thanks for listening, God Bless!”

Joseph D. · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2020

“I took Tradjenta for three days. Severe headache, stomach pain, joint and muscle pain, depression! Stay away from this drug it is very toxic. I am still having issues from it five months after I stopped taking it. It causes nightmares also. It is a horrible drug that I can't imagine how it was ever approved for distribution.”

Chona April 28, 2020

“I started taking Tradjenta for 2 months. Recently ask this time past and I been waking up short of breath with lots of muscle pain, back pain, stomach pain, head aches, and nose bleeds. I been freaking miserable. I literally took my last dose before I wrote this. I am glad I did research. I knew it was something different I was taking. Glad I read these reviews done with this rubbish”

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2020

“I’ve been on tradjenta for three weeks. I was on it before but stopped due to side effects. A new doctor insists it has no side effects and is easy to take. I disagree. My anxiety has gone through the roof with frequent anxiety attacks. I get so dizzy, I fall, often. I’m hungry all the time. I was loosing about a pound and a half a week. Now I’m gaining again. My blood pressure has gone from 89-90 on top to 166 today. I thought the joint and back pain was from sleeping funny. This med needs to be stopped. I talk to her tomorrow. Praying she stops it. Oh, and my numbers are as high as ever in spite of eating better.”

Trisha · Taken for less than 1 month September 16, 2020

“Been taking Tradjenta for 5 days and I feel really bad. Worst of all, my blood sugar is actually higher than ever. Plus, I've had several of the symptoms that others have mentioned, like a cough, dizziness, and stomach pain. But, the fatigue has been the worst. I'm off this drug as of today!!”

LDL1978 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2016

“I have been on 5 mg Trajenta a day for about a month. My levels have gone from 130 and up to less than 120, with lower numbers in the 80's (which I NEVER had before). No side effects yet. Not sure if my insurance covers Trajenta as my doctor gave me free samples to get started. But now that I'll be getting a prescription, my doctor gave me a "savings card" from Trajenta that is supposed to lower the cost to as little as $10 a month. Haven't had to use it yet tho, so I don't know exactly what I'll be paying.”

12969nah · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2016

“I have been on Tradjenta for 90 days. I have gained 13 pounds, my daily fasting numbers are up by 20 points, my joints and back ache regularly, I have diarrhea several times a day and I have no energy. Today I called my doctor with all of these side effects and he told me to stop the medication and keep track of my daily fasting blood sugar. Wish I could do it on my own, with NO drugs!!!”

Demo · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2018

“I've been taking Tradjenta for over a month, and feel fatigued throughout the day - absolutely no energy. My blood sugar levels are higher than ever. Just last night, my number was 317! In the mornings, it hovers around the 200 level. I'm in a panic, and I'm going to ask my doctor to give me another medication. I also feel lightheaded at times, but I also suffer with sinusitis - I don't know if it's the sinuses or the Tradjenta, but I'm sharing that to help others if they have the same symptoms.”

Newer Is Better · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2014

“This broke my appetite especially for junk food. Lost weight at 5mg/day. Made neck skinny! Increases the potency of gliperide. Only take 2.5mg Trajenta and 5mg gliperide with pill cutter. 90-100 blood sugar with much decreased spikes after meals, almost as if it repaired my body's regulation. Exercise daily. Better than Metformin, can have 1 beer now. Gas is worst current issue (from gliperide).”

dkyllo1625 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 4, 2015

“I was taking Januvia, but my insurance will no longer cover it so I was then switched to Trajenta. I take 5mg Trajenta with Metformin daily. My blood sugar is not as low or stable as it was with the Januvia and I am having very bad muscle and joint pain, severe headaches, back pain and weakness. I never had these symptoms previously so it must be the Trajenta. I never associated the problems to this medication until I read an article on it. I will be contacting my doctor regarding this medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 28, 2012

“Interesting results which vary from day to day. Have had higher than usual blood sugar readings on some days. Have taken Tradjenta only 3 weeks. Deleted almost all carbs from diet and had better blood sugar results. 124 vs. 143 upon rising. Also eat an earlier dinner, and no snacking after dinner. Resulted in 124 reading in morning. Will take for a month and decide if I will continue.”

Be · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2020

“I've been on Trajenta for about 6 weeks and I can hardly walk. My hips are so sore and achy I thought I was going to need hip surgery but after reading the same side effects others are experiencing I no longer want this medication. I haven't seen my sugar lowered either. I was told it may cause me to lose weight and I did lose 3 pounds but the pain is not worth the effort.”

Grey September 19, 2019

“I have type 2 diabetes and I have been taking Tradjenta for over a year. I also take Tresiba. I switched insurance and had to have a prior authorization for them. I have been off both Tradjenta and Tressiba for a week while waiting for my new insurance to approve. I realize that I no longer have joint pain or stiffness. No lower leg edema or dizziness. I don’t think this drug is the most appropriate for me. I had drug induced (Metformin) that caused acute/chronic renal failure so I have to be sure that the medication will not cause further kidney damage.”

Bcotto50 October 5, 2016

“I take metformin/glipizide and my doctor added tradjenta 5mg. I took it and within an hour I was dizzy, had bad headache for over 12 hours, back pain and nausea. It did lower my blood sugar a little but these side effects were overwhelming. Not going to continue with this medication.”

Dave666 March 18, 2013

“Using Tradjenta as a Byetta replacement. Byetta never lowered blood glucose but made me feel much better. Tradjenta similar to Byetta also gives me good energy and non-sick feeling. No feeling of constantly having to urinate. Not sleepy after meals. Take Tradjenta with metformin and have also used insulin Apidra, but insulin doesn't seem to help me much. Only on day 5 but noticed the positive effects after day one.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 1, 2012

“Have had stiff ankles, digestion problems, some vomiting, some dizziness, went to Doctor for sinus problems didn't need medicine but I think it is related to the Tradjenta, increase acne on face, cough and increased sinus drainage. ”

Pal71 October 21, 2016

“Been on Tradjenta for 10 days. Daily blood checks show an increase of 40 points, up to 163, higher than I ever had before on Onglyza which was hurting my kidneys. Disappointed, because I am hard-core compliant.”

sweetmisery · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2015

“On tradjenta after being forced off my januvia by my insurance company. Taken for 2 days now, and it seems not to be working. Testing at about 500 two hours after meals, has yet to come down below 250. Going back to doctors in 2 weeks if there is no change.”

Ree · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2019

“Started taking this med and was having terrible headaches and nose bleeds. Stop for about 2 weeks and started back to make sure it was this med was causing my head pains and nose bleeds and it was..so I no longer take it and feel much better.”

Mikeyoung June 28, 2015

“I got metformin intolerance & was not believed by doctors so I took pics extremely heavy nose bleeding & so then they said stop metformin, take tradjenta 25mg with gliclazide 40mg twice a day. The Tradjenta took about two days to work, then I took it 3pm with blood sugars 8.2 and in one hour I got a drop to 4.3. Since then I have noticed afternoon headaches, dizzyness, back pain but still taking them as they reduce my blood sugar with effort, stop me dozing after eating. I do get slight tenderness around pancreas but usually stop the Tradjenta for two days & restart. I find the gliclazide irritates my pancreas and stomach more. Overall very good product shame we can only take once a day.”

Amy Buchanan · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2015

“My blood sugar has slowly been decreasing. Each time I check it points are dropping. I'm pretty sure it's the medicine because I've not really changed anything else. My sugar is usually high hardly ever low so I'm more hyperglycemia.”

Hard working grandma November 1, 2017

“I have tried a few drugs now that are for type 2 Diabetes. My regular DR sent me to a specialist and she had me try Tradjenta, she said it would help me curb my hungry and such to which it did. The big down fall was that my Blood Sugar went sky rocketing I am also on Lantus pen slow release at night time. We upped my intake at night and it was even higher on fasting. I have experienced weight gain even though I am not eating as much or carbs. I have called every week with updates on the issues that I am having with no response from the DR. as of yet. I have stopped taking this drug and back to just diet and exercise and Lantus at night before bed and guess what, my BS is lower by almost 50 points and this is just one day !”

Itchy and skin rashes · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2018

“Started taking Trajenta Oct 22, 2018 my co-pay $105 for 30 days. Blood sugars went down great with diet and excercise but starting getting rashes and a lot of itching all over my body. Doc took me off after a month. Gave me Onglyza 5mg I only filled half of RX which my co-pay was $50. Didn't want to spend that $100 again with the itching and rashes. Well after day 2, itching and rashes came back. I won't take this med again too many side effects. Also taking Glimepiride 4mg twice a day and Metformin 1000 mg once a day. I'm going to see if blood sugar stays good if I don't take anything. Metformin gives me very toxic gas. I feel like a guinea pig with the doc prescribing me all these different meds. That are very expensive. Was on Baslglar, didn't really see a change in blood sugars. Can't take insulin with the type of job I do. I will get my blood sugars down with diet and exercise.”

Cat lady July 8, 2019

“My Dr. switched me to Tradjenta 5mg. about 4 months ago. It hasn't worked at all. My A1C went from 6.7 to 7.5. She has added back my old prescription at a lower dose to be taken with the Tradjenta. While it is better I think she will have to up the met. and do away with the Tradjenta altogether. The stuff doesn't work for me.”

paliku · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2018

“Dr. is trying to help control my A1C (10.4) / daily sugar morning readings average 240. I was on Metformin 1000 mg / Glipizide 5 mg per day. Dr. switched out Glipizide with Januvia - I got bad leg, chest, body cramps (muscles felt like I worked out intensively when I did not ). Dr. then switched out Januvia with Tradjenta 5 mg. Have 1 episode of pancreatitis some years ago. 3 days on medicine. Day 1 minor itching in knuckle joints. Day 2 and 3 itching increased to feet/ankles/scalp/lips/throat. 3rd day also felt sensation of area below throat and upper part of lungs constricted but no wheezing. Stopped medication.”

Pete · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2020

“I have 2 insurance, I usually pay next to nothing for my prescriptions. I get to counter even after running both insurance, the total was $312.76 for a 30 day supply. I can't afford that even I qualified for Tradjenta's relief program for a maximum of $150, it would still be $162.76. Way too much for 1 medication. Looking into other options.”