User Reviews for Letrozole to treat Breast Cancer (Page 3)

Also known as: Femara

Letrozole Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Letrozole

joyceron · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 14, 2016

“I have been on this drug for almost 5 years and have a few problems like a persistent cough and about a couple of hours of hot spells each day but will be stopping this at the end of the year and am wondering if there is after problems”

Jewelry nut · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2016

Femara (letrozole): “Stg 2b or stg 3 according to onc nurse. Invasive lob cancer. One yr on letrozol.just had bone cancer scare but negative bone scan. Hot flashes, sweats, bone fracture, not injury. Some bleeding from genital tissues. Also had 10 lb weight loss. Anyone else with bleeding and weight loss? Lots of back pain, already had osteo earth.”

Fifi54 April 28, 2016

“Diagnosed with breast cancer Nov 2013, double mastectomy, chemo, radiation therapy, Oopherectomy. Side effects, leg cramps, disturbed sleep, palpitations, hot flushes, muscle, joint and back paid, hair thinning, nausea, fatigue, increased appetite. Breathlessness.”

Miledha · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2016

“After 4 months on Letrazole, I felt like an old crock, in pain everywhere, barely able to move, depressed, not sleeping well and developing carpal tunnel syndrome. I've gone off it ready to try something else and after only a week, nearly all the pain and stiffness is gone. I'm sleeping well and have a sense of wellbeing. Letrazole stole my quality of life and I'm glad I discovered it after not too long. Let's hope other drugs are better tolerated, but if not, I'd rather have quality of life than quantity of pain.”

Letrozole April 14, 2016

“I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, Stage 2, Invasive Ductal Carcinoma in Dec. 2014. Cancer found in lymph nodes; had Lumpectomy end of January, then Chemo from March to June. After one month break I went for 5 weeks of daily radiation treatments, followed by 1 week boost treatment in 3 areas (under arm, cervical and breast). Oncologist put me on Letrozole, I have been on it for 2 years this June and the only side effect I am currently experiencing is stiffness and leg pain at night in bed. I asked the Oncologist what happens after the 5 years of Letrozole; she said perhaps there would be another drug on the market - there are not enough studies about long term use of Letrizole ...........”

Aniseed16 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 7, 2016

“Was diagnosed in Oct 2014 with endometrial stroma sarcoma and put on Letrozole 2.5 mg (UK). Small tumours near my liver have now disappeared and the main tumour has shrunk from 2.7 to 1 cm. Side effects have been very bad from nausea, dizziness, aches and pains (sometimes from head to toe), stiffness in all the joints, brain fog and tiredness. Yes, some days you wonder if it is worth it but then you look at the family and decide there is no option but to keep fighting. Taking loads of supplements and herbs which have helped somewhat and acupuncture. The insomnia is very hard to deal with - nothing seems to help at all with that. Now having a 4 month break. Oncologist suggested 1 month but after 1 month the effects are still there.”

april485 March 21, 2016

Femara (letrozole): “I have been on this drug for about 3.5 months now. I was on Aromasin (exemestane) for 2/5 years prior to starting letrozole. I was so hopeful that some of the horrible side effects would not affect me like they did on the exemestane...and for a while, it was not too bad. Now, in month 3, the side effects of severe joint pain, brain fog and shortness of breath are back with a vengeance and the last 3 times my blood pressure was taken, it was inching back up even though I started BP meds after the exemestane raised my BP. I never had any issues with my BP prior to taking these aromatase inhibitors. I guess my PCP will have to raise my dose of BP meds. I am also peeing constantly on letrozole and my hair is coming out more on my brush! UGH!”

Florida gal · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2016

“Stiff finger and legs, joint pain, swollen finger and toes, hip pain, hot flashes/ night sweats and weight gain.”

elleode · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2016

“Have been taking letrozole] for about 6 months after being on tamoxifen for 2 years. (I felt great on tamoxifen). My energy levels have decreased so I have to try and pace myself and give in if I can't do as much as before. My knees/legs ache and I also seize up a bit if I sit too long. I feel it's aged me but I am here with my boys and that's all that matters. I have loads of hot flushes but wear layers. I am trying to stay healthy walking a lot and pilates. I don't think my body could handle the gym as my bones are thinning due to these drugs. I did become vegan after the initial cancer diagnosis but now have a bit of organic milk in my tea and cheese occasionally. My hair has not thinned, good luck, lets hope they find a cure soon”

Rocky mt belle · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 23, 2016

“Dec 2011 bilateral mastectomy stage 1 infiltrating lobular breast cancer rt breast 64 yrs old - no lymph node involvement I am in my 4th year of hormonal treatment with Letrozole. So far so good some joint and muscle pain but it could be my age. I exercise more - take more vitamins - eat more vegetables - shun all dairy products (cows are always pregnant and full of cow hormones) - eat very little meat (chicken or fish) - always shop organic - and get at least 7 hrs of sleep a night. Some people think I am crazy.”

flginny January 9, 2016

“I would give a lot to have NEVER taken Femara! It aged me 20 years in a few months. I took it for more than six years before I told my oncologist I would not take it any more. It was killing me! I was sleeping an average of two hours a night......a "good" night was five hours every ten to fourteen days. The other side effects were awful! Femara did NOT keep the cancer from coming back! It is KNOWN to weaken the bones, and the cancer is now rampant in my bones!”

Jill M. November 30, 2015

Femara (letrozole): “Stage 4 HER2 positive breast cancer was found 2011. After a double mastectomy, ( additionally 6 other surgeries due to Staph infection and failed reconstruction attempts) 6 months of 2 types of chemotheraphy, including Newlastin booster shots after each infusion.. total of 1 year of Herceptin chemo infusions. 6 weeks of daily radiation, then... 8 years of Femara. Been taking this medication daily since August 2012...hot flashes/night sweats are awful. Anxiety occassionally. Easily out of breath after any activity. Difficulty maintaining focus and frequent forgetfulness. 3years with this medication and chest, bone and joint pain is intensifying. 5 more years to go. CANCER FREE STILL.”

too painful November 11, 2015

“The pain to my shoulder and right arm are so intance that I can not function. I have problems taking care of my chores to the point that I just can not do them. My arm has become immovable due to stiffness and the profound pain. I can't sleep at night unless I double on a sleeping aid. I can't live this way. My life is depressing.”

greyhound lover November 2, 2015

Femara (letrozole): “Had lump removed April 2014 15 treatments of Radiotheraphy then Letrozole. The Doctor only warned about making my already present aches pains worse but felt this was the best for my age now 70. I went out with Daughter Friday felt had to drag myself around so wiped out I feel need to sit down all the time. Go upstairs to bed time get top of stairs sweating very hot feel like running out of air have to sit down on toilet whilst I cool down. During the day constantly fall asleep. Feel this is a poor life with no energy to do anything.Wake in morning headache. sometimes feel sick.”

JojoUK October 30, 2015

“I just read the above comment about the lady feeling '90'. I am 45 and I too have had 6 rounds of chemo and a bi-lateral mastectomy January 2014. I couldn't take tamoxifen and monthly injections of zoladex were too painful and caused me numerous side effects. In June this year I had an oopherectomy which obviously has now pushed me post menopausal and I am taking letrozole 2.5 mg. and I feel like the lady above, like an old woman. Short of breath, exhausted, weepy, achy, no energy! Yesterday I was so exhausted after work at 4pm I was worried I wouldn't make it home as driving was scary I couldn't focus on the road! The tiredness has been so awful I have no longer being going out socially. It's ruined me.”

Had Enuff · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 10, 2015

“After having a dr prescribe hormones for me for 12 yrs even tho I only had a partial hystromectomy I developed breast cancer. When it was found I was a advanced stage 3 with a tumor just short of a size 8,in my chest wall and left lymnodes. After massive chemo for 6 months it shrunk to a size 2, then came the double masectomy and nodes removed followed by 30 hits of heavy radiation. This all began in may of 2013 and now in October of 2015 in total remission. I am so thankful to my Drs et however the side effects of all of the treatments and continued treatment of Letrozole are awful. I feel 90 and have sudden bouts where I can't breathe and hurt all over. I hate it.”

DOTTIE T CROW September 26, 2015

Femara (letrozole): “stage I breast cancer. I Had lumpectomy no nodes involved. No chemo I chose no radiation.... Been on zoladex and famera so far very few side effects.... But of course I'm just now starting on my second week of use..... I recommend u to get blood work done to check for vitamin deficiencies... And address them it will keep your side effects at a minimum.... ”

Crystalsea · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 21, 2015

Femara (letrozole): “I have been taking Letrozole for one year now after a diagnosis of hormone related breast cancer. Initially my consultant (UK) said I would need a right sided mastectomy. However two weeks later when the biopsy results were back he said he did not think surgery was possible because the tumour appeared to be attached to the muscle. However, CT scan and MRI revealed a 1mm plane between the tumour and the muscle - phew! Letrozole was so effective that it shrank and softened the tumour and by January 2015 I was able to have a bilateral mastectomy. Lymph glands and bone scan were clear. Side effects: persistent hot flashes, so I always wear blouses with buttons and carry an ordinary fan in my handbag; it is a life saver.”

minnesota mama lu September 12, 2015

Femara (letrozole): “Hi everyone, in 2011 I was diagnosed with stage 3A invasive ductal breast cancer - I went through chemo for 4 months and had double mastectomy in March 2012 - followed by 6 weeks of radiation. I was put on tamoxifen for a year and then femara which I currently take now. The biggest thing with femara is being like I am constantly tired and "foggy" - I can handle the hot flashes ( we live in Minnesota - where the winter lasts for 6 months) - I just walk around outside with a t shirt on and I'm good to go! Lately, I have been experiencing hair loss and I don't know if its due to the femara? Anyone else have this problem? Please let me know. Hang in there beautiful ladies (& men)”

Caner Free for now! · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2015

Femara (letrozole): “diagnosed May 2014 with Stage 3 Breast cancer after chemo, removal of the tumor & lymph nods, radiation I started Femara been on it almost 6 months and I have daily joint & muscle pain, fatigue, hot flashes, and most of all weight gain, Im really trying to eat healthy and exercise, but working a full time job its a tough routine to keep up with everyday, (55 and post menopausal). But hey Im still here and hopeful the medication does the good job of keeping the cancer at bay. Doing my best with the symptoms.”

cmmomof4 August 6, 2015

“I have stage 4 breast cancer and the looks at the hospital were not pretty-it did not look good for me. I have been on Letrozole for 6 months and it is working. The tumors are shrinking or disappearing and I feel so much better. My hands feet and legs are stiff but so what- I stretch them to loosen up, my hair is thinning but so what, there are other things I can use to cover my head. If God put this drug to cure me, I can take these small inconveniences. I am happy to know that this joint pain is caused by the medication. I would like to know if the medication actually heals and makes you cancer free and it can end or if medication is needed for my life. I am 54 almost 55 and if this pill can give me life, small side effects are ok”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2015

Femara (letrozole): “I have recently started taking femara. The first few days were really tough. I had muscle pain and was very emotional and horrible periarea dryness. I would cry about anything. These symptoms have pretty much gone away after day 4. Now after a month, my main side effects seem to be evening fatigue (I would really like to go to bed at 6:30pm) and fuzzy thinking. During the first couple of days of taking this medicine I had my doubts if I would continue, but now I think with time I will find ways to work around the side effects. They really aren't that bothersome.”

lynniered · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2015

“After stage 2 breast cancer/unilateral mastcectomy, Took tamoxifen for 2 years, then switched to femara abt 4 months ago. My oncologist said this was largely because femara is kinder to my kidneys. I truly hope the femara is doing its job, because my fingers are stiff and swelling, and hurt when I bend them. I now have 2 - 3 trigger fingers, depending on temperature and time of day, and I truly understand what a reviewer called "Walter Brennan walk"! Stiff legs after sitting for as little as 5 minutes, & as an artist, pianist & admin, this is definately a quality of life issue for me. I am going to speak with my doctor again - he agreed that that was side effect, but it's getting worse quickly, also slight weight gain & low energy levels”

Marla57 April 28, 2015

“I hope that it is keeping me from having cancer with all the problems that it is causing. I had stage 2 grade 2b breast cancer and had a mastectomy followed by 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks of daily radiation. I really didn't have that much side affects from chemo and radiation. But being on the Letrozole has been a pain. the fatigue is getting to me. I might as well go into hibernation for 5 years. I sleep all the time. It is very hard to focus on my job where I am a manager. I have a lot of joint pain and I am trying glucomine juice. Someone else told me about loins juice. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do about the fatigue? I take the pill at night, but I can not get out of bed in the morning.”

Cavamama March 30, 2015

“I'm not sure how to rate this drug. If it keeps cancer away, it might get a 10. Almost 4 years later, it appears to have done so. However, the jury is still out. I am literally counting the days until I can get off this drug. The joint pain has become almost unbearable and completely affects any quality of life. I find I don't want to do much of anything because of the pain, yet know I have to or be almost bedridden. It has become progressively worse in the last year. So I push myself daily and have tried almost everything to help the pain, but nothing really works. I am grateful to be cancer free, and really feel conflicted even complaining about it. But most days are just very hard. I am 63, yet feel like a 90 year old.”

Learn more about Breast Cancer

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)