User Reviews for Letrozole to treat Breast Cancer

Also known as: Femara

Letrozole Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Letrozole

Bus driver · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 26, 2020

Femara (letrozole): “Caused me weight gain, serious hot flashes, did not have joint pain, headaches, or dizziness before starting this medication. I know these are listed possible side-effects, however, these do cause some functionality issues.”

Ali · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2020

“I’ve had cancer twice. This second time, I have Stage 3 breast cancer and had to have chemotherapy. I’m on Letrozole, and have been on it since September 2019. Firstly, I can’t believe the pain I’m in. It’s got worse by the week/month. I’m a Pilates teacher and work every day, but I’m finding that there are things I can’t do now, as my hands and elbows are unbelievably painful. I can take a lot of pain, but this is bad. When I get out of bed or up from sitting, I can barely walk away. I also have groin pain and lower back pain, yet I’m fit and strong in every other way. This is getting me down, as I feel I’m on a slippery slope. It doesn’t help that I am high risk for another cancer, and that every pain worries me. I’m sorry that there are so many who are experiencing this.”

Sexy lady · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2020

“I have been using this drug letrozol for almost a month.. I have chills so bad I can't warm up. Headaches can't sleep and have diarrhea and dizziness.. I am also have muscle spasms and pain in my bones. Help”

Scooter · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 25, 2020

“2019 Jan diagnosed with breast cancer. Stage 2. 58 yrs old. Left breast mastectomy no radiation no ca in the lymph nodes. Given Letrozole 2.5 mg, side effects of this medication: Severe hot flashes, chills, severe pain in hands, knees, feet, legs, foggy head, muscle pain, insomnia, poor memory, extremely tired, cankers, pain in upper abdomen on occasion, first four months hair loss and itchy hands. I quit my job as I was just too tired to continue. I now wish I would have quit the Letrozole instead. I will see my cancer dr in a few months and this will be discussed. If I don’t quit before.”

Tulip · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

“I had 2 tumors removed, 2 operations, radiotherapy and medication letrozole. 28 days in taking letrozole, headaches, joints pain, muscle aches, hot flushes and terrible mood swings. Hope to heaven this is not to be with me every day as not sure how I can keep working.”

Stage 1A Invasive- Double MST · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 9, 2020

“Started on Anastrolze for 4 months, it was debilitating to me. Could hardly move, could not sleep, could not focus, had serious brain fog. Oncologist switch me to Letrozole. Started off good, then about 4 months into it, I noticed my hands and feet were so sore, could hardly move them. Swelling, weight gain, intense hand, knee and foot pain, foggy brain, sweating all the time. The knee pain got so bad, I could hardly walk. Took myself off them, seeing the oncologist on a couple of months. She said I had to have a bone scan and possible transfusion because letrozole was known to cause issues with bones. I am 54 years old and was feeling like I was 80. I want a quality of live, decided to take the risk at this point. They all have the same side effects, not worth it to me.”

Almost there · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2020

“I was on Letrozole for one year. Stage 1 breast cancer, no lymph node involvement. ER/PR+ HER2- Why I was put on this drug is beyond me. I now need hip replacement. I have stress fractures in my shin. Every joint in my body aches. I stopped taking the drug after one year. When I see my oncologist I will tell him I stopped taking it. Although I stopped the drug in November, I am still having bone pain and joint pain. I use a walker because of my hip and stress fractures. I did not have any problems before taking this medication. I hope the FDA changes it’s use for breast cancer patients.”

Hails · Taken for less than 1 month November 23, 2019

“I didn't take this medicine, but my grandma did. I lived with her and have seen how this medicine affected her. She started letrozole on a Friday and by Thursday she was in ICU. Before she was hospitalized, this medicine caused her extreme discomfort. She was in bed all day every day. She has fatigue, weakness(so bad she couldn't sit up by herself), hot flashes, throwing up, joint and muscle pain, fever and dizziness. Thursday she got so bad to the point she was struggling to breathe. In the hospital they discovered a blood clot, which is a side effect. 2 weeks before she started this medicine she went to the dr and had a MRI and a CAT scan. There was no clots. This medicine made her miserable. Now she is in ICU, and we was told she probably will not be coming home. She was fine until she started this medication.”

Jaycee · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 9, 2019

“After mastectomy surgery, stage 2, cancer in 2 lymph nodes inside mammary tissue, No chemo/radiation. Began letrozole, experienced hot flashes/insomnia. After one year, no hot flashes but sleep disruption. As I entered 1.5 year mark taking letrozole I began to have joint pain, deep aching and less strength in hips/knees. As a former therapist, I switched to exercise in pool as I could no longer tolerate joint pain with land based exercise. By 2 year mark, decreased stability when walking, difficulty climbing steps, getting up from chair or toilet. Prior to surgery I had been walking 3 miles a day, now pain limits walking a block. Xrays prior to surgery showed no significant arthritis in any joints. Now unable to get out of chair without pain 8/10. Stopped taking med, 3 days later pain went from 8/10 to 5/10. 3 weeks after stopping pill, pain 3/10, with lingering weakness hips/knees. Mind is now less foggy. Quality of life is more important than continuing to take this pill.”

Rebecca October 1, 2019

“I’ve been on Letrozole 4 years. I had a lumpectomy w/ radiation, no chemo. I have severe back, hip and groin pain , muscle fatigue, sleepless nights, exhausting days. I walk like I’m 30 years older than what I am. My pain averages from 5 -9 out of 10. I can’t remember a day where I did not have pain. I have a few good days in between the awful days which gives me false hope. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars ruling out other Disabilities only to hear the same result- your x-rays/CT scans/MRIs are fine. I have no quality of life- I used to be a very fun loving person but rarely smile anymore because of pain . My goal each day is just to get through it. I’ve stayed on letrozole In hopes that my cancer would not return. I have an oncology appointment this week, and I will be talking w/ him about discontinuing Letrozole so I can start living again. My heart goes out to all of you who have to deal with these awful side effects .”

Jenna August 8, 2019

“A mammogram found lump in my breast and had lumpectomy, followed by 5 weeks of radiation and the hormone blocker Letrozole, which my oncologist strongly recommended. For about 3 years prior to the surgery, I had problems with back pain, lack of energy, depression and asthma which caused me to be very short winded. Since the radiation I find I'm more tired and the breathing is worse. I wake up tired, I go to bed tired. The Letrozole has caused sweats & hot flashes worse than ever before. I wake up with excruciating joint pain every day so bad that it feels as though my wrists, fingers or arms are broken. During the night my hips ache so that I have to turn on my back. Also causing hair loss. I'm on oxycodone so once I get up and take the pain killers the joint pain goes away. I was going to switch to tamoxifen until I read the side effects and the patient ratings...……..much worse than letrozole.”

NJgirl August 2, 2019

“Was on Letrozole for 7 weeks. Had debilitating side effects which included nausea, vomiting, appetite loss and weight loss; chronic fatigue syndrome type pain, bilateral swollen glands, joint pain, inflammation in any prior injury area, pain radiating from shoulders down to hands; anxiety including body tremors, agitation, depression, uncontrollable crying, feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, feeling of being hit by a truck, the flu, laundry kicked down three flights of stairs; no energy, need to sleep during the day, inability to sleep at night; hair loss and hair thinning just to name the top side effects. Voluntarily went off drug. Oncologist confirmed that some women just can't handle this drug and I am one of them. A month later I am back to normal. I am cleaning house, I am sewing, I am reading and swimming.”

Kestrel · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 29, 2019

“I have been on Letrozole for just about a year now. My comment is this. Not all generics are the same. When I first started, I had no side effects whatsoever. My oncologist couldn't believe it. Then after six months, my pharmacy switched brands and I began getting hives and severe joint pain; the new brand they were giving me was from Teva. I recently asked them if they could still get the brand (Breckenridge) that they had originally given me and they said yes. I'm now taking that one again. No hives, although I do still have some lingering joint pain. I've had the same experience on a couple other meds I take, i.e., when my pharmacy switches brands I've had problems. So I'm just saying that sometimes it's not the medication, but the manufacturer.”

J · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 23, 2019

“I have been taking letrozole for over a year, and about six months ago developed hand, and foot tremors, very mild, but never has those before this drug. Had Lobular, did radiation, left breast, clean lumpectomy. Also had hair shedding, and vaginal dryness. It does beat the cancer coming back, but I feel like a very old 61. Will be talking to oncologist next month, maybe ask if I can take a break.”

Deb · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 2, 2019

“I have been on Letrozole for a year now and the hip pain has progressively gotten worse. The hot flashes are manageable now, but the hip pain is debilitating. I can't take NSAID's because thanks to chemo I know have ulcerative colitis. I am about ready to stop the Letrozole because my oncologist told me all the cancer drugs have the same bone and joint pain side effect. I feel like I am 90 years old and can't barely walk at times. Her response is "at least you don't have cancer" - thanks Doc but I have other debilitating problems.”

Duchess · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2019

“I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer in 2015 at age 58. A lumpectomy was performed and I was treated with four weeks of radiation. The cancer was 98% estrogen positive. I began first with Arimidex post op but after a while I experienced severe muscle cramps (which may have been caused by a combination of medication problems at the time) and eventually switched to Letrozole. The cramping that I experience in my legs now is not nearly as severe and is doable. I've been on the Letrozole about a year and a half now. I'm writing because I wanted to let you know that if you are experiencing hair thinning while on Letrozole, I have found that taking a B-complex vitamin pill on a daily basis has been very helpful for me. My hair was thinning, but after about six months of taking a B-complex vitamin pill everyday I noticed that my hair thickened and that it now basically stays in my head. Just wanted to pass this information along.”

joanS · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 13, 2018

“Started taking letrozole in June. Side effects started almost immediately. Fatique, not flashes, joint and muscle aches. Hair thinning. Have cut my hair very short to hopefully make the thinning less noticeable. I just realized that I cut my hair 5-6 weeks ago and it does not seem to be growing at all. Has anyone else noticed this side effect. I would recommend yoga and acupuncture to help with the side effects. Without them, I would not be able to tolerate this medicine! Good luck to you all who are taking this drug!”

Michelle2ca · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 7, 2018

“I have been on this drug for over a year now. This is my update to a previous comment. I stopped it on the advice of my doctor, because of my hot flashes & sweats, joint pain. It was a month break. Started it up again, my hot flashes & sweats, were subsiding, now they are getting worse again. My joint pain is going away. Some nights I may sleep 4 hours max.”

Mari August 14, 2018

“I had stage 2 Hers 2 positive breast cancer. Did 5 rounds of Chemo that made me so sick. Heavy bouts of diarrhea almost constantly and lost 20 lbs after 2 months of radiation everyday. In 2015 I started letrazole and at first it was nothing, now I feel so much joint pain in the early morning and then at night. I feel like I got hit by a truck. Stairs are unbelievably hard to master during this time. I’ve gained at least 20 lbs which is hard to believe because I eat small portions. I have mentioned this to my oncologist team and they don’t believe weight is a side affect. Wrong! It is most definitely. 2 more years to go, hopefully there’s some improvements. I will take magnesium as suggested, we’ll see.”

Elaine · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 11, 2018

“Diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago. Took anastrozole which had side effects fatigue, memory loss, weight gain. Doctor changed me to letrozole. On it 7 months I have the worst joint, muscle and body aches. Their are some days I can’t stand up on my legs. My arms, shoulders and back hurt constantly, fatigue. 7 months ago I used to walk 2 miles a day. Today I can’t even get on a treadmill for 5 minutes. I have been taken off letrozole it’s only been a week.”

Kimmy · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 20, 2018

“I have been on letrozole for 13 months, which I began after a lumpectomy of my left breast, followed by four months of chemo and four weeks of radiation. For many months my only noticeable side effect was fatigue. I always took it at night so this was not too much of an issue. Within the last few months, I’ve been experiencing increasingly more painful joint and muscle pain in my shoulders and arms. Sometimes ibuprofen seems to ease the pain, but not always. I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse, for it is not easy to ignore. And yes, I’ve had weight gain also... the 20lb seems to be the magic number, however , being menopausal this was occurring with me anyway. I have a very active job with a lot of lifting and walking but the weight gain won’t budge.”

Gonzotx · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2018

Femara (letrozole): “1.7 years, loss of hair, hot flashes, shoulder, elbow, hip pain, dry mouth, high cholesterol, high glucose, high BP...but if it keeps Cancer from returning the side effects, hopefully temporary, will have been worth it”

Bren · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2018

“I had a mastectomy after finding a small lump (with prd caber cells) in breast tissue. No rounds of chemo needed. Lymph nodes clear. I have been on Letrozole and Anastrozole for a year and a half. Both gave me pain in my joints and muscles. Mostly in my hip, legs and hand. I couldn’t walk far as my legs were weak. Made me tired. I decided to stop them altogether. They were making me disabled and unable to do my job properly. I felt eventually I would be in a wheelchair and unemployed. My consultant looked at a graph and said because I was a low risk of cancer returning I decided to stop taking them. I told him I prefer quality of life over quantity. I’m now hoping I get back to normal. It’s been a week now and already the pain on waking is better.”

Anonymous March 31, 2018

Femara (letrozole): “Daily hot flashes and night sweats seem to be my worst side effects, especially when I'm hit with intense anxiety every time. My scalp is tender and I've had hair thinning. I also have pain in my joints. But I do not want the cancer to come back. Invasive lobular carcinoma. Bilateral mastectomy”

TJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 19, 2018

“Joint pain can be debilitating. Fortunately another medication I take helps this pain.”

Learn more about Breast Cancer

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)