User Reviews for Letrozole

Also known as: Femara

Learn more about Letrozole.

Female Infertility 2 reviews 23 medications

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant 11 reviews 18 medications

5.7
Summary of Letrozole reviews 99 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Letrozole

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "I've been taking Femara for a little over 5 months and have yet to experience any side effects whatsoever. I'd been warned about hot flashes, night sweats, joint pain, muscle pain, and so far nothing. I have two smallish tumors in one breast that we caught very early on, and at my 4 month ultrasound they've decreased by about 50%. I'll have a nipple-sparing mastectomy in about 2 weeks with DIEM flap reconstruction...the grossest part of this whole episode in my opinion...followed by radiation. No chemo here, just a very healthy mostly vegetarian diet and tons of walking. I'm 69, 5'6", 135, and so far consider myself about the luckiest cancer patient anywhere. Maybe I'll start feeling sick at some point but not yet. Hang in there ladies!!"

Smittie May 15, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Feel horrible on this med but will keep taking it. Started 2 years in to it. Every bone hurts, have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Every day is a challenge. I exercise, eat right but still gained 20 lbs. I will take the BCI sometime at the end of the year, test to see what future chances of reoccurrence are. I just keep praying to feel like my old self."

Nanalynnie May 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "I had breast cancer lobular year ago, 1.8cm 4 lymph node involved, modified mastectomy, chemotherapy then 34 radiation, then letrozole, and Zoladex, when combination the letrozole and zoladex really hard on me, caused WBC low and liver enzyme elevated, I have a lot of joint pain, but I decided to removed my ovaries and tubes after then will just need to take letrozole, I feel much better, liver enzyme ok, WBC normal now, every morning I will get ACAI bowl for breakfast, really help, I just have mild hot flash , mild muscle ache, if I get up in the morning moving around will go away, also I changed my diet complete vegan, I lost 9 lbs,feel more energy, I went back to Taiwan to have my ovaries and tube removed, pain instantly went away after surgery."

kelly LIn April 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I was diagnosed with stage 1 hormone receptive breast cancer in January 2016. I had 20 radiation treatments. I've had chronic back pain for about 20 years. At first I took Arimidex and my pain got worse. I got pain in my left groin and muscles in back & front of my legs. I went to PT for 3 months and the minute I stopped, all the pain came back with a vengeance. I took myself off, but the pain never went away. Now I'm on femara. I still have pain in my back, both hips, right groin this time and my left shoulder and down right leg. I've had a month of PT with no improvement. Has anyone had pain so bad you can't walk. It goes away for a day, then comes back for 3, then goes away again?"

Joannie K. April 3, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I was diagnosed with stage 2 hormone positive breast cancer December 2015. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy January 2016 just 3 days after turning 60. No lymph node involvement. I also didn't have chemo or radiation and started on letrozole in February. Didn't notice side effects at first. I think I was going through reconstruction with tissue expanders. This was very painful and pain meds helped. Since having my implants and no pain meds my joints ache, my memory is awful, tired, and hot flashes. Sometimes depressed for no reason and just don't feel like doing anything. Have lost weight by strict dieting and biking which helps. Now it's March 2017 and still cancer free. Also added another BP med and a cholesterol med and low dose pain med."

Apalach nana (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Morning joint stiffness progressing to hip,wrist,shoulder stiffness and pain. Hip pain is the most bothersome. Also, dry mouth and some hair loss"

Foxnindy March 1, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Magnesium is key! I want everyone to know that the achiness goes away when I take magnesium. I'm taking 500 mg from a good vitamin company. Not sure if it's ok to put brand names here. I gained 20 lbs, and none of my carefully acquired clothes fit: big bummer. But it's still better than getting cancer again. Going to start exercising more as I recover from oophorectomy. I'm eating veggies like crazy. Bilateral mastectomy and six weeks of radiation; removal of ovaries and tubes."

Mastectodore (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Stage 3 breast cancer. Double mastectomy, chemo, Radiation. Started letrozole about 5 months ago. Severe joint and muscle pain especially in shoulders, arms and hands. 20 lb weight gain. Seriously hate this medication but afraid to go off it because supposedly it reduces my recurrence rate. I'm trying acupuncture for the joint pains."

Michaela Cod February 7, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Yesterday I completed five year on Letrozole! Over the past two years I have had awful joint pain in my knees, outers thighs and wrists. My body aches all over and I feel exhausted every day. I wake in the morning with stiff hands and fingers. My oncologist has now taken me off letrozole as I have completed my five years and told me that my aching body and joints should gradually get better."

Sarah from London January 25, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Surgery for ER Stage 2 in R breast. Started Letrozole before radiation. Had a lumpectomy and one Sentinal node out below armpit. So next A sore red swollen breast My GP put me on huge doses of antibiotics. Didn't work. Surgeon then told me it was .lymphodema. Gave me Dexamethasone. (Appalling side effects.). Had to stop it and it Took a month to settle the problems down settled infection but not lymph blockage Off to a lymphodema nurse. learning exercises and massage. Acutely tired. Loss of interest/drive. headaches, mind blurryness and bad recall Eyes also blurry. Aching everywhere began and grew so badly could barely move. Taken off a Femara. Three weeks later still ache badly. Back soon to decide what to do. hard decisions......."

Elymae (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "My 2nd breast cancer 8/16, 1st 2005 DCI stage 1 Rt. breast. 2nd in left breast. It is primary, not metastatic but due to the large size tumor, Surgeon wants to shrink tumor to try a lumpectomy. On Femara 2 months and feeling very blessed. Sonogram follow up shows tumor shrinking and this allows me the holidays with family before surgery. I have the typical side effects; joint pain, daily hot flashes, nightly sweats, (fans everywhere, portable in my purse) some hair thinning so I keep in double braids to save vacuum & shower drains. I can't walk far at one clip due to fatigue so use a walker with seat to allow daily exercise. Changed diet & losing weight. Grateful for medication & will keep taking as long as tumor is shrinking."

Terri BoBerry (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Aged 76. Been taking Letrozole 2yrs. V tired at first but that probably result of chemo. Still get weary but not bad. Initially had weird dreams but these have eased. Hair quite thin but improving. Bone scan shows no osteoporosis. I walk the dog daily and take calcu chews. Had heard people experience side effects but honestly I don't. Gp tells me Letrozole is "Gold Standard" and be really thankful it is available. At least I am alive!"

Dizz101 November 9, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on letrozole for a year now. My issues are some hot flashes, increased vaginal atrophy/dryness (getting pretty bad) and I wake up in the middle of the night with painful and stiff fingers, but if I wiggle my fingers around, it goes away. I think they get painful and stiff from not being moved while I am asleep. They are not too bad during the day, but the tendinitis I had prior to taking letrozole that affected the base of my thumbs got worse. I am currently in clinical trials to assess the usefulness of acupuncture for the joint pain and stiffness. I am hoping this will turn out to be a solution for women who find the joint pain unbearable."

Jaseari (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Femara since 6/4/15 almost 1.5 years now. At first my only side effect was enhanced hot flashes and night sweats. I am post menopause. No real weight gain which has pleased my oncologist. I do however now have muscle weakness, joint pain in wrists, fingers knees. Also now have trigger finger in thumb. Have seen a rheumatologist and have been put on diclofenac for joint pain. Even she feels like my aches are from the Femara. The meds she put me on are not working. Get just as much relief from Aleve and Advil. If anyone out there has a solution to the joint pain, please write in."

Fatboy911 October 31, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I'm 61 years of age. Approaching my 4 th year of taking letrozole Accord. I am suffering with joint ache which attacks my knees,one ankle. Wrists, elbows but has now affected my hands, most percularilly my middle fingers of each hand! I also get pins and needles in my hands. The morning stiffness is throughout my joints and takes a while to get going. I have calf pain and muscle weakness and blurry eyesight too sometimes. I don't complain as its prevented the cancer returning.I do dispare at my poor quality of life. I take calcium, magnesium and pain relief.I walk every day and exercise . I've also gained weight. I'm glad to know there are others with similar side effects but even more glad that I'm here to share my story ."

faey October 1, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I've been on letrozole for a year. After doing preliminary research about it, I really didn't want to go on it, but felt I had to give it a try. The most serious SEs for me were severe joint pain and feeling frail; mood swings, and strong hot flashes. The first 2 were bad enough that, after being on the drug for 8 months, I decided to take a break from it. I went off for 3 weeks, then started back, but now I take it at night before bed. I also started walking to keep weight gain at bay. Since making those 2 changes, I've had no more joint pain or mood swings, and I feel healthier than I have in a long time. Still have hot flashes, but they're tolerable. I'm not sure why those changes would make that much difference, but they do."

H. Forester (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 27, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "I've been taking letrozole(Femara) 9 months, after a right side mastectomy for stage IIA breast cancer. I'm ER & PR positive. No radiation or chemo. I'm 58 & this is the only drug I take, besides vitamins. The first 6 weeks I had trouble sleeping, occasional dizziness, some joint pain, & mild headaches. Around 4 months in, I started losing hair. I'd guess approximately 25% of my hair has fallen out. Besides the hair loss, I have dry eyes, genitals, & skin. There's some stiffness & joint pain in my hips. These side effects are tolerable, especially, knowing that the drug is preventing a cancer recurrence. None of these side effects are enough for me to stop taking letrozole!"

Shorty! September 21, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Considering going off of it. Too many severe side effects such as painful hands and feet, tendinitis of wrists, weight gain."

Notfemarame September 9, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "No symptoms except dry mouth, which causes difficulty swallowing."

Big Vic (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I Started Letrozole 5 months ago. I take it at night. My side effects have been minimal compared to what it is doing for me (hopefully) I started with terrible leg aches at night for a couple of months and they are now gone-- My hands and ankles are really stiff in the morning, my body feels a bit beat up, and I had a vaginal discharge for about 4 months that finally stopped. Also my pap came back abnormal due to the hormone changes my body is going through so don't freak out right away if that happens. All normal! My doc has also put me on Alendronate Sodium tablets once a week to help with my bones and to prevent bone cancer. I just started getting back into working out with some weights and tread mill and that is helping for sure."

Soupsma (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "Used for 4.6years. Experienced many common side effects. Most disappeared after a brief amount of time. Stretching and exercising 6 days a week seems to be very effective. Drink lots of water. Feel that I am 11lbs over- but I am 66 so maybe that would have happened anyway. Unable to locate information on withdrawal symptoms when I discontinue Jan 1 2017. Hope to drop the extra weight... My wonderful Oncology team and Amazing Primary Dr. both assure me there are no withdrawal symptoms."

grannyGo (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2016

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "After taking Letrozole for about 6mths I had the aching muscles etc, felt like a 90yr old! Then did a lot of research!..take your calcium and MAGNESIUM (which is a muscle relaxant) it is amazing, no more aching bones! I take 2 magnesium a day, one in the morning and one an hour before I go to bed. Don't take at same time as your calcium, wait a couple of hours! Read up about this brilliant supplement! It also gives u energy etc etc...i seriously thought about stopping taking Letrozole but along with the adcal and Magnesium I feel great! Also I get these on prescription!"

Jan1515 May 15, 2016

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on this drug for almost 5 years and have a few problems like a persistent cough and about a couple of hours of hot spells each day but will be stopping this at the end of the year and am wondering if there is after problems"

joyceron (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 14, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "joint pain, no energy, no enthusiasm for social life, tiredness, weakness, low appetite. Femara is extending my life. I know this since I have been in remission for 5 years after taking Femara. My breast cancer started in right breast 32 years ago. Chemo and Radiation therapy stopped it for 22 years but 5 years ago it matastasized to lung and bones. This is when the oncologist prescribed Femara. I'm now in my "golden" years, a widow for 16 years but determined to find relief for this pain and relief from this depression so I can be happy and enjoy life."

marge623 May 13, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "My 6 months on Letrazole have been a nightmare; extreme hot flushes, soaked clothes /bedclothes. Can't fall asleep even though exhausted. So fuzzy-brained I despair & have lost confidence in normal conversation. Bone pain & frequent lower leg cramps are excruciating. I've aged 10 years, changed shape, gained over 10k, all of it around my waist. I fall; I've sprained both ankles in six weeks. I never know when a fall is coming, there's no warning, I just collapse. In addition to normal drugs regime, I now need 5 additional drugs to try & counteract side-effects of Letrazole. It may be keeping me alive (who really knows?) but it's destroyed my life in the process. I dread to think what 4.5 more years on this drug will do to me."

Juedne (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016