User Reviews for Letrozole

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant
5.3

Summary of Letrozole reviews 6.3 125 reviews

Reviews for Letrozole

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on this drug for over a year now. This is my update to a previous comment. I stopped it on the advice of my doctor, because of my hot flashes & sweats, joint pain. It was a month break. Started it up again, my hot flashes & sweats, were subsiding, now they are getting worse again. My joint pain is going away. Some nights I may sleep 4 hours max."

Michelle2ca (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 7, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I had stage 2 Hers 2 positive breast cancer. Did 5 rounds of Chemo that made me so sick. Heavy bouts of diarrhea almost constantly and lost 20 lbs after 2 months of radiation everyday. In 2015 I started letrazole and at first it was nothing, now I feel so much joint pain in the early morning and then at night. I feel like I got hit by a truck. Stairs are unbelievably hard to master during this time. I’ve gained at least 20 lbs which is hard to believe because I eat small portions. I have mentioned this to my oncologist team and they don’t believe weight is a side affect. Wrong! It is most definitely. 2 more years to go, hopefully there’s some improvements. I will take magnesium as suggested, we’ll see."

Mari August 14, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "Diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago. Took anastrozole which had side effects fatigue, memory loss, weight gain. Doctor changed me to letrozole. On it 7 months I have the worst joint, muscle and body aches. Their are some days I can’t stand up on my legs. My arms, shoulders and back hurt constantly, fatigue. 7 months ago I used to walk 2 miles a day. Today I can’t even get on a treadmill for 5 minutes. I have been taken off letrozole it’s only been a week."

Elaine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "Started letrozole as second line treatment, after tamoxifen (2.5years), for Mets in bones, lymphs and primary still present. Breast tumours just continued to grow, the smaller one more than doubled in 6 weeks. Side effects depended on the brand, was unable to function on one, but once changed it was manageable, just some terrible hot flushes/sweats in the evening. Had hoped to get at least a year on this treatment, but now threatened with radiotherapy to spine and chemo."

Magic (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on letrozole for 13 months, which I began after a lumpectomy of my left breast, followed by four months of chemo and four weeks of radiation. For many months my only noticeable side effect was fatigue. I always took it at night so this was not too much of an issue. Within the last few months, I’ve been experiencing increasingly more painful joint and muscle pain in my shoulders and arms. Sometimes ibuprofen seems to ease the pain, but not always. I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse, for it is not easy to ignore. And yes, I’ve had weight gain also... the 20lb seems to be the magic number, however , being menopausal this was occurring with me anyway. I have a very active job with a lot of lifting and walking but the weight gain won’t budge."

Kimmy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2018

For Female Infertility: "I took this medication for about 6 months. It helped me raise my levels from 0 to 14 so I could ovulate. I now have a almost 10 year old. Never had side effects."

Mom2008 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "Update from 2015. Still on Letrozole, still no side effects, and still no sign of cancer. It has been 6 years now. It has been the first and only treatment I have had with metastatic breast cancer."

Marie I. (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "1.7 years, loss of hair, hot flashes, shoulder, elbow, hip pain, dry mouth, high cholesterol, high glucose, high BP...but if it keeps Cancer from returning the side effects, hopefully temporary, will have been worth it"

Gonzotx (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I had a mastectomy after finding a small lump (with prd caber cells) in breast tissue. No rounds of chemo needed. Lymph nodes clear. I have been on Letrozole and Anastrozole for a year and a half. Both gave me pain in my joints and muscles. Mostly in my hip, legs and hand. I couldn’t walk far as my legs were weak. Made me tired. I decided to stop them altogether. They were making me disabled and unable to do my job properly. I felt eventually I would be in a wheelchair and unemployed. My consultant looked at a graph and said because I was a low risk of cancer returning I decided to stop taking them. I told him I prefer quality of life over quantity. I’m now hoping I get back to normal. It’s been a week now and already the pain on waking is better."

Bren (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2018

For Female Infertility: "I took two 2.5 mg pills, at night, for cycle days 3-7. I had no side effects the first 3 days. Then the 4th day my right knee started hurting when going up and down stairs. It hurts every once in a while so I thought it was no big deal. Well now it is unbearable. I cannot hardly move my knee without pain. It hurts to drive, cross my legs, walk, etc. I have been off this pill for 2 full days and it is getting worse, not better. Then this morning I had a severe headache. Quite possibly the worst one I have ever had. It took all I could do to get out of bed. I also had severe joint pain in my shoulders. I have never had that. I am praying that the pain subsides or I may not be able to drive/work. Only benefit is that my insurance company (anthem) covered this pill 100% because it is labelled as breast cancer preventative. This is nice as fertility drugs are not typically covered."

KT (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "I had breast cancer 9 yrs ago, stage 1. I had 4 mo’s chemo, 6 weeks radiation. Then a 1 1/2 yr. ago it came back, stage 4, and it metastasized to both my lungs. Now, I’ve been on Letrozole 1 1/2 yrs and a few of my tumors shrunk and have stabilized the others. I’ve have some side effects, which is brain fog, night sweats, fatigue and dryness. It’s been very tolerable. I call Letrozole my miracle pill! Good luck to you all! ❤️"

LisaLee (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2018

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Daily hot flashes and night sweats seem to be my worst side effects, especially when I'm hit with intense anxiety every time. My scalp is tender and I've had hair thinning. I also have pain in my joints. But I do not want the cancer to come back. Invasive lobular carcinoma. Bilateral mastectomy"

Anonymous March 31, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "At 75 I was paralyzed from the waist down and diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer & paraneoplastic syndrome. My main tumor was size of an American football, with Mets. Given 1 dose of chemo. 2 weeks later I got pneumonia, a UTI and severe sepsis. My kids were told I had 2 hours to live. Still there the next day I was given a 1% chance of living for a month. More chemo was out so was put on Letrozole. After 8 months of paralysis, I moved my right foot. I started physio, and within 3 months I learned to stand then walk. A year on, my tumors continue to shrink. Then joint pain started after about 8 months in hips, wrists, knees, ankles & bones on top of my feet and I seized up every time I take a break and have start all over again. Morning is hardest. But the bottom line is I am alive. I have been declared a medical miracle... and I owe it all to Letrozole. The pain can be quite bad at times but I take no pain killers. I just sit down and consider the alternative! Thank you Letrozole"

HH (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "A lot of side effects: pain, insomnia, irritability, loss of attention and memory."

Maria (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "Joint pain can be debilitating. Fortunately another medication I take helps this pain."

TJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2018

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "Right mastectomy 2016, 5 months chemo and 5 weeks radio therapy. Started Femara 15 months ago, prescribed for 5 years. I am experiencing increasing pain in my joints, muscles, liver and over all depression. Am considering stopping femara as the tumour was removed with no spread to lymph nodes. Lymph clearance all the same as the centinel node was infected. I am 55 but feel a lot older than ever before!"

Bodiceae (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "I’m 54 yrears old & I’ve been taking this Rx, for my MBC w/Extensive Bone Mets, for 6 months. Last week, I suffered a spontaneous fracture of the tibia & fibula bones in my ankle! Might need surgery in a few weeks. I called the manufacturer & they confirmed it can cause osteoporosis & fractures in 14% of patients (in clinical trial #1 & 9% in a second clinical trial.) Also, my vision is getting a bit worse & they confirmed it can also cause several vision problems, in less than 4% of Letrozole users. I’m never, ever taking this drug again!"

Elizabeth (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "In 2015, I was diagnosed with stage 2A, right breast cancer. I had a mastectomy and reconstruction, as well as a full hysterectomy. This is my second year on Letrozole (scheduled for 5) and my symptoms have just started. Mild headaches, back and neck pain, muscle aches, weight gain, and hair loss. The latest is nausea, which I hate! I have high blood pressure and it has been going up, alarmingly. That's really the main concern that I have since heart disease and strokes run in my family. For the first year, I had no side effects, but now it seems like every one of them are converging at the same time. I'm wondering what I'll experience next, but I've decided to remain on the medication and will try to mitigate the symptoms as best I can. I'm 48 and have had a wonderful life, but I'm living for my family, and especially my new grandchild. So, I'll suffer, but it's worth it to stick around for as long as I can."

cancerfree2018 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "Had lumpectomy 21 years ago with radiation. Last year another type of breast cancer came so had breast removed. Started Letrozole 11 mo ago and I was a bit light headed at first. That has gone away. My hair thinned on top but took some Biotin vitamins and stopped further breakage. Now hair is back to normal. Some various joint stiffness but that goes away. I had blood clots in both lungs from a knee surgery 4 years ago. Had to be on blood thinners 8 months. Last week had a blood clot in my left leg yet again. Went to hospital but didn't make connection for Letrozole to be the cause until I happened to read the information papers in the pill box. The Dr. never mentioned it. So I have stopped the pill and am waiting for the Dr to get back to me about continuing."

snuggles 2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I have been taking this for two months and my whole body aches. It is horrible. I don't know if I can do this for 5 years without the Lord's help. I had a mastectomy of my left breast--no chemo and no radiation--caught it early. The doctor said I have to take this pill for 5 years and if the hot flashes, body aches, memory issues do not get better, I may have to stop. When I see my doctor next I will tell her my symptoms. She actually told me that that the side effects are little and I will tell her that she is wrong on all counts."

Sandi Kay (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "Had chemo every other weeks for 4 treatments, surgery, another 4 sessions of chemo then, radiation every week day for 33 sessions. Neulasta shots day after chemo, that was so horrible, excruciating body aches. I've been on Letrozole 8 months. Side effects have been, muscle aches, fatigue, some nausea, dry mouth, trigger thumb, hot flashes, weight gain, blurry vision, insomnia, occasional decrease in appetite, neuropathy mostly in my feet ( maybe from the chemo?). Is that enough? My doctor wants to give me a 3-4 week break but I'm scared to stop. I can live with these side effects if it keeps me from a recurrence. I am feeling better not quite as tired or nauseated. I'm glad I'm not the only one with the symptoms."

Yojomama January 4, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "Horrible bone pain - all over body, finger bone pains, sweating, depression, extreme fatigue. Unable to do anything. Pain too extreme. Fatigue horrendous. Stopped on 12/28/17 after 18 months of hell."

Lxcarr (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "My fourth year on Letrozole. Diagnosed with breast cancer stage 2 hormone-estrogen positive in 2014. Opted for double mastectomy, no spread to lymph nodes, they also started the expanders right after double mastectomy. No chemo or radiation. Put on Letrazole, I noticed the weight gain right away, for me it is all in my stomach, looks like I am pregnant! I walk 3 miles 4 times a week and very active. I did ok the first two years, but after the third year, every bone in my body hurts, especially my left hip which radiates down on the side of my leg. I take magnesium and vitamin D. I keep telling myself, just 24 more months on this Med, but now I hear that they think 5 years may not be long enough!!!"

Amarismah (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 13, 2017

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "I am taking Letrozole (Femara) and I have malignant pleural effusion secondary to breast cancer. I had my first lympectomy with lymph node removal in 1996 with radiation. Second lymphectomy in 2003 with no treatment. Mastectomy (all the same breast) in 2013 with chemo. Now, I have been diagnosed with malignant pleural effusion (MPE) and have been put on Letrozole. The side effects are really bad from the hot flashes to severe bone and joint pain. Has anyone out there been in my situation and can give me more insight about whether to take or discontinue the letrozole. Thanks in advance."

SydneyJanssen810 October 22, 2017

For Breast Cancer: "I hate this drug. I hate everything it is doing to me. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, hormone- estrogen. Surgery was successful, lymph nodes clear. We caught it very early. I participated in a radiation study, 5 treatments of partial breast radiation. I want off, I wake up tired, I go to bed tired, I manage to function through my day. My sweats & hot flashes are worse than ever before. They were almost done. Joint pain every day, back, hips, fingers, shoulders, etc. I have no idea of how long they want me on it. I am researching foods to eliminate from my diet, that promote the production of hormones & estrogen."

Michelle2ca (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2017