User Reviews for Letrozole

Also known as: Femara

Learn more about Letrozole.

Female Infertility 2 reviews 23 medications

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant 10 reviews 18 medications

5.5
Summary of Letrozole reviews 89 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Letrozole

For Breast Cancer: "My 2nd breast cancer 8/16, 1st 2005 DCI stage 1 Rt. breast. 2nd in left breast. It is primary, not metastatic but due to the large size tumor, Surgeon wants to shrink tumor to try a lumpectomy. On Femara 2 months and feeling very blessed. Sonogram follow up shows tumor shrinking and this allows me the holidays with family before surgery. I have the typical side effects; joint pain, daily hot flashes, nightly sweats, (fans everywhere, portable in my purse) some hair thinning so I keep in double braids to save vacuum & shower drains. I can't walk far at one clip due to fatigue so use a walker with seat to allow daily exercise. Changed diet & losing weight. Grateful for medication & will keep taking as long as tumor is shrinking."

Terri BoBerry (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Aged 76. Been taking Letrozole 2yrs. V tired at first but that probably result of chemo. Still get weary but not bad. Initially had weird dreams but these have eased. Hair quite thin but improving. Bone scan shows no osteoporosis. I walk the dog daily and take calcu chews. Had heard people experience side effects but honestly I don't. Gp tells me Letrozole is "Gold Standard" and be really thankful it is available. At least I am alive!"

Dizz101 November 9, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on letrozole for a year now. My issues are some hot flashes, increased vaginal atrophy/dryness (getting pretty bad) and I wake up in the middle of the night with painful and stiff fingers, but if I wiggle my fingers around, it goes away. I think they get painful and stiff from not being moved while I am asleep. They are not too bad during the day, but the tendinitis I had prior to taking letrozole that affected the base of my thumbs got worse. I am currently in clinical trials to assess the usefulness of acupuncture for the joint pain and stiffness. I am hoping this will turn out to be a solution for women who find the joint pain unbearable."

Jaseari (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Femara since 6/4/15 almost 1.5 years now. At first my only side effect was enhanced hot flashes and night sweats. I am post menopause. No real weight gain which has pleased my oncologist. I do however now have muscle weakness, joint pain in wrists, fingers knees. Also now have trigger finger in thumb. Have seen a rheumatologist and have been put on diclofenac for joint pain. Even she feels like my aches are from the Femara. The meds she put me on are not working. Get just as much relief from Aleve and Advil. If anyone out there has a solution to the joint pain, please write in."

Fatboy911 October 31, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I'm 61 years of age. Approaching my 4 th year of taking letrozole Accord. I am suffering with joint ache which attacks my knees,one ankle. Wrists, elbows but has now affected my hands, most percularilly my middle fingers of each hand! I also get pins and needles in my hands. The morning stiffness is throughout my joints and takes a while to get going. I have calf pain and muscle weakness and blurry eyesight too sometimes. I don't complain as its prevented the cancer returning.I do dispare at my poor quality of life. I take calcium, magnesium and pain relief.I walk every day and exercise . I've also gained weight. I'm glad to know there are others with similar side effects but even more glad that I'm here to share my story ."

faey October 1, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I've been on letrozole for a year. After doing preliminary research about it, I really didn't want to go on it, but felt I had to give it a try. The most serious SEs for me were severe joint pain and feeling frail; mood swings, and strong hot flashes. The first 2 were bad enough that, after being on the drug for 8 months, I decided to take a break from it. I went off for 3 weeks, then started back, but now I take it at night before bed. I also started walking to keep weight gain at bay. Since making those 2 changes, I've had no more joint pain or mood swings, and I feel healthier than I have in a long time. Still have hot flashes, but they're tolerable. I'm not sure why those changes would make that much difference, but they do."

H. Forester (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 27, 2016

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "I've been taking letrozole(Femara) 9 months, after a right side mastectomy for stage IIA breast cancer. I'm ER & PR positive. No radiation or chemo. I'm 58 & this is the only drug I take, besides vitamins. The first 6 weeks I had trouble sleeping, occasional dizziness, some joint pain, & mild headaches. Around 4 months in, I started losing hair. I'd guess approximately 25% of my hair has fallen out. Besides the hair loss, I have dry eyes, genitals, & skin. There's some stiffness & joint pain in my hips. These side effects are tolerable, especially, knowing that the drug is preventing a cancer recurrence. None of these side effects are enough for me to stop taking letrozole!"

Shorty! September 21, 2016

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Considering going off of it. Too many severe side effects such as painful hands and feet, tendinitis of wrists, weight gain."

Notfemarame September 9, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "No symptoms except dry mouth, which causes difficulty swallowing."

Big Vic (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I Started Letrozole 5 months ago. I take it at night. My side effects have been minimal compared to what it is doing for me (hopefully) I started with terrible leg aches at night for a couple of months and they are now gone-- My hands and ankles are really stiff in the morning, my body feels a bit beat up, and I had a vaginal discharge for about 4 months that finally stopped. Also my pap came back abnormal due to the hormone changes my body is going through so don't freak out right away if that happens. All normal! My doc has also put me on Alendronate Sodium tablets once a week to help with my bones and to prevent bone cancer. I just started getting back into working out with some weights and tread mill and that is helping for sure."

Soupsma (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Used for 4.6years. Experienced many common side effects. Most disappeared after a brief amount of time. Stretching and exercising 6 days a week seems to be very effective. Drink lots of water. Feel that I am 11lbs over- but I am 66 so maybe that would have happened anyway. Unable to locate information on withdrawal symptoms when I discontinue Jan 1 2017. Hope to drop the extra weight... My wonderful Oncology team and Amazing Primary Dr. both assure me there are no withdrawal symptoms."

grannyGo (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "After taking Letrozole for about 6mths I had the aching muscles etc, felt like a 90yr old! Then did a lot of research!..take your calcium and MAGNESIUM (which is a muscle relaxant) it is amazing, no more aching bones! I take 2 magnesium a day, one in the morning and one an hour before I go to bed. Don't take at same time as your calcium, wait a couple of hours! Read up about this brilliant supplement! It also gives u energy etc etc...i seriously thought about stopping taking Letrozole but along with the adcal and Magnesium I feel great! Also I get these on prescription!"

Jan1515 May 15, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on this drug for almost 5 years and have a few problems like a persistent cough and about a couple of hours of hot spells each day but will be stopping this at the end of the year and am wondering if there is after problems"

joyceron (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 14, 2016

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "joint pain, no energy, no enthusiasm for social life, tiredness, weakness, low appetite. Femara is extending my life. I know this since I have been in remission for 5 years after taking Femara. My breast cancer started in right breast 32 years ago. Chemo and Radiation therapy stopped it for 22 years but 5 years ago it matastasized to lung and bones. This is when the oncologist prescribed Femara. I'm now in my "golden" years, a widow for 16 years but determined to find relief for this pain and relief from this depression so I can be happy and enjoy life."

marge623 May 13, 2016

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "My 6 months on Letrazole have been a nightmare; extreme hot flushes, soaked clothes /bedclothes. Can't fall asleep even though exhausted. So fuzzy-brained I despair & have lost confidence in normal conversation. Bone pain & frequent lower leg cramps are excruciating. I've aged 10 years, changed shape, gained over 10k, all of it around my waist. I fall; I've sprained both ankles in six weeks. I never know when a fall is coming, there's no warning, I just collapse. In addition to normal drugs regime, I now need 5 additional drugs to try & counteract side-effects of Letrazole. It may be keeping me alive (who really knows?) but it's destroyed my life in the process. I dread to think what 4.5 more years on this drug will do to me."

Juedne (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Stg 2b or stg 3 according to onc nurse. Invasive lob cancer. One yr on letrozol.just had bone cancer scare but negative bone scan. Hot flashes, sweats, bone fracture, not injury. Some bleeding from genital tissues. Also had 10 lb weight loss. Anyone else with bleeding and weight loss? Lots of back pain, already had osteo earth."

Jewelry nut (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Diagnosed with breast cancer Nov 2013, double mastectomy, chemo, radiation therapy, Oopherectomy. Side effects, leg cramps, disturbed sleep, palpitations, hot flushes, muscle, joint and back paid, hair thinning, nausea, fatigue, increased appetite. Breathlessness."

Fifi54 April 28, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "After 4 months on Letrazole, I felt like an old crock, in pain everywhere, barely able to move, depressed, not sleeping well and developing carpal tunnel syndrome. I've gone off it ready to try something else and after only a week, nearly all the pain and stiffness is gone. I'm sleeping well and have a sense of wellbeing. Letrazole stole my quality of life and I'm glad I discovered it after not too long. Let's hope other drugs are better tolerated, but if not, I'd rather have quality of life than quantity of pain."

Miledha (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, Stage 2, Invasive Ductal Carcinoma in Dec. 2014. Cancer found in lymph nodes; had Lumpectomy end of January, then Chemo from March to June. After one month break I went for 5 weeks of daily radiation treatments, followed by 1 week boost treatment in 3 areas (under arm, cervical and breast). Oncologist put me on Letrozole, I have been on it for 2 years this June and the only side effect I am currently experiencing is stiffness and leg pain at night in bed. I asked the Oncologist what happens after the 5 years of Letrozole; she said perhaps there would be another drug on the market - there are not enough studies about long term use of Letrizole ..........."

Letrozole April 14, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Was diagnosed in Oct 2014 with endometrial stroma sarcoma and put on Letrozole 2.5 mg (UK). Small tumours near my liver have now disappeared and the main tumour has shrunk from 2.7 to 1 cm. Side effects have been very bad from nausea, dizziness, aches and pains (sometimes from head to toe), stiffness in all the joints, brain fog and tiredness. Yes, some days you wonder if it is worth it but then you look at the family and decide there is no option but to keep fighting. Taking loads of supplements and herbs which have helped somewhat and acupuncture. The insomnia is very hard to deal with - nothing seems to help at all with that. Now having a 4 month break. Oncologist suggested 1 month but after 1 month the effects are still there."

Aniseed16 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2016

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "I have been on this drug for about 3.5 months now. I was on Aromasin (exemestane) for 2/5 years prior to starting letrozole. I was so hopeful that some of the horrible side effects would not affect me like they did on the exemestane...and for a while, it was not too bad. Now, in month 3, the side effects of severe joint pain, brain fog and shortness of breath are back with a vengeance and the last 3 times my blood pressure was taken, it was inching back up even though I started BP meds after the exemestane raised my BP. I never had any issues with my BP prior to taking these aromatase inhibitors. I guess my PCP will have to raise my dose of BP meds. I am also peeing constantly on letrozole and my hair is coming out more on my brush! UGH!"

april485 March 21, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Stiff finger and legs, joint pain, swollen finger and toes, hip pain, hot flashes/ night sweats and weight gain."

Florida gal (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Have been taking letrozole] for about 6 months after being on tamoxifen for 2 years. (I felt great on tamoxifen). My energy levels have decreased so I have to try and pace myself and give in if I can't do as much as before. My knees/legs ache and I also seize up a bit if I sit too long. I feel it's aged me but I am here with my boys and that's all that matters. I have loads of hot flushes but wear layers. I am trying to stay healthy walking a lot and pilates. I don't think my body could handle the gym as my bones are thinning due to these drugs. I did become vegan after the initial cancer diagnosis but now have a bit of organic milk in my tea and cheese occasionally. My hair has not thinned, good luck, lets hope they find a cure soon"

elleode (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2016

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "I'll make this as brief as possible: This drug isn't putting a dent on ceasing tumor progression in me. Unfortunately, the intravenous chemo [Abraxane] I was on had plateaued and was no longer effective. I have no idea what I will be going on next."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2016

For Breast Cancer: "Dec 2011 bilateral mastectomy stage 1 infiltrating lobular breast cancer rt breast 64 yrs old - no lymph node involvement I am in my 4th year of hormonal treatment with Letrozole. So far so good some joint and muscle pain but it could be my age. I exercise more - take more vitamins - eat more vegetables - shun all dairy products (cows are always pregnant and full of cow hormones) - eat very little meat (chicken or fish) - always shop organic - and get at least 7 hrs of sleep a night. Some people think I am crazy."

Rocky mt belle (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2016