User Reviews for Letrozole

Breast Cancer, Adjuvant
5.6

Summary of Letrozole reviews 6.3 131 reviews

Reviews for Letrozole

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Letrozole for just about a year now. My comment is this. Not all generics are the same. When I first started, I had no side effects whatsoever. My oncologist couldn't believe it. Then after six months, my pharmacy switched brands and I began getting hives and severe joint pain; the new brand they were giving me was from Teva. I recently asked them if they could still get the brand (Breckenridge) that they had originally given me and they said yes. I'm now taking that one again. No hives, although I do still have some lingering joint pain. I've had the same experience on a couple other meds I take, i.e., when my pharmacy switches brands I've had problems. So I'm just saying that sometimes it's not the medication, but the manufacturer."

Kestrel (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2019

For Breast Cancer: "I have been taking letrozole for over a year, and about six months ago developed hand, and foot tremors, very mild, but never has those before this drug. Had Lobular, did radiation, left breast, clean lumpectomy. Also had hair shedding, and vaginal dryness. It does beat the cancer coming back, but I feel like a very old 61. Will be talking to oncologist next month, maybe ask if I can take a break."

J (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2019

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on Letrozole for a year now and the hip pain has progressively gotten worse. The hot flashes are manageable now, but the hip pain is debilitating. I can't take NSAID's because thanks to chemo I know have ulcerative colitis. I am about ready to stop the Letrozole because my oncologist told me all the cancer drugs have the same bone and joint pain side effect. I feel like I am 90 years old and can't barely walk at times. Her response is "at least you don't have cancer" - thanks Doc but I have other debilitating problems."

Deb (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 2, 2019

For Breast Cancer: "I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer in 2015 at age 58. A lumpectomy was performed and I was treated with four weeks of radiation. The cancer was 98% estrogen positive. I began first with Arimidex post op but after a while I experienced severe muscle cramps (which may have been caused by a combination of medication problems at the time) and eventually switched to Letrozole. The cramping that I experience in my legs now is not nearly as severe and is doable. I've been on the Letrozole about a year and a half now. I'm writing because I wanted to let you know that if you are experiencing hair thinning while on Letrozole, I have found that taking a B-complex vitamin pill on a daily basis has been very helpful for me. My hair was thinning, but after about six months of taking a B-complex vitamin pill everyday I noticed that my hair thickened and that it now basically stays in my head. Just wanted to pass this information along."

Duchess (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

For Female Infertility: "I’ve struggled with infertility for 8 years. No kids yet at all. We’ve been trying for 6. I’ve had crazy periods since I was 11 with heavy bleeding for up to 8 months at a time, had surgery, took clomid, then I got to this. Then I got to this medicine, this is my 8th month taking it. I first started out with one pill starting in day 3 of my cycle, I’m now up to 3 a day and nothing yet. "

Red (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2019

For Breast Cancer: "Started taking letrozole in June. Side effects started almost immediately. Fatique, not flashes, joint and muscle aches. Hair thinning. Have cut my hair very short to hopefully make the thinning less noticeable. I just realized that I cut my hair 5-6 weeks ago and it does not seem to be growing at all. Has anyone else noticed this side effect. I would recommend yoga and acupuncture to help with the side effects. Without them, I would not be able to tolerate this medicine! Good luck to you all who are taking this drug!"

joanS (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 13, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on this drug for over a year now. This is my update to a previous comment. I stopped it on the advice of my doctor, because of my hot flashes & sweats, joint pain. It was a month break. Started it up again, my hot flashes & sweats, were subsiding, now they are getting worse again. My joint pain is going away. Some nights I may sleep 4 hours max."

Michelle2ca (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 7, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I had stage 2 Hers 2 positive breast cancer. Did 5 rounds of Chemo that made me so sick. Heavy bouts of diarrhea almost constantly and lost 20 lbs after 2 months of radiation everyday. In 2015 I started letrazole and at first it was nothing, now I feel so much joint pain in the early morning and then at night. I feel like I got hit by a truck. Stairs are unbelievably hard to master during this time. I’ve gained at least 20 lbs which is hard to believe because I eat small portions. I have mentioned this to my oncologist team and they don’t believe weight is a side affect. Wrong! It is most definitely. 2 more years to go, hopefully there’s some improvements. I will take magnesium as suggested, we’ll see."

Mari August 14, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "Diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago. Took anastrozole which had side effects fatigue, memory loss, weight gain. Doctor changed me to letrozole. On it 7 months I have the worst joint, muscle and body aches. Their are some days I can’t stand up on my legs. My arms, shoulders and back hurt constantly, fatigue. 7 months ago I used to walk 2 miles a day. Today I can’t even get on a treadmill for 5 minutes. I have been taken off letrozole it’s only been a week."

Elaine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 11, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "Started letrozole as second line treatment, after tamoxifen (2.5years), for Mets in bones, lymphs and primary still present. Breast tumours just continued to grow, the smaller one more than doubled in 6 weeks. Side effects depended on the brand, was unable to function on one, but once changed it was manageable, just some terrible hot flushes/sweats in the evening. Had hoped to get at least a year on this treatment, but now threatened with radiotherapy to spine and chemo."

Magic (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I have been on letrozole for 13 months, which I began after a lumpectomy of my left breast, followed by four months of chemo and four weeks of radiation. For many months my only noticeable side effect was fatigue. I always took it at night so this was not too much of an issue. Within the last few months, I’ve been experiencing increasingly more painful joint and muscle pain in my shoulders and arms. Sometimes ibuprofen seems to ease the pain, but not always. I’m hoping it doesn’t get worse, for it is not easy to ignore. And yes, I’ve had weight gain also... the 20lb seems to be the magic number, however , being menopausal this was occurring with me anyway. I have a very active job with a lot of lifting and walking but the weight gain won’t budge."

Kimmy (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2018

For Female Infertility: "I took this medication for about 6 months. It helped me raise my levels from 0 to 14 so I could ovulate. I now have a almost 10 year old. Never had side effects."

Mom2008 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "Update from 2015. Still on Letrozole, still no side effects, and still no sign of cancer. It has been 6 years now. It has been the first and only treatment I have had with metastatic breast cancer."

Marie I. (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "1.7 years, loss of hair, hot flashes, shoulder, elbow, hip pain, dry mouth, high cholesterol, high glucose, high BP...but if it keeps Cancer from returning the side effects, hopefully temporary, will have been worth it"

Gonzotx (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "I had a mastectomy after finding a small lump (with prd caber cells) in breast tissue. No rounds of chemo needed. Lymph nodes clear. I have been on Letrozole and Anastrozole for a year and a half. Both gave me pain in my joints and muscles. Mostly in my hip, legs and hand. I couldn’t walk far as my legs were weak. Made me tired. I decided to stop them altogether. They were making me disabled and unable to do my job properly. I felt eventually I would be in a wheelchair and unemployed. My consultant looked at a graph and said because I was a low risk of cancer returning I decided to stop taking them. I told him I prefer quality of life over quantity. I’m now hoping I get back to normal. It’s been a week now and already the pain on waking is better."

Bren (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 2, 2018

For Female Infertility: "I took two 2.5 mg pills, at night, for cycle days 3-7. I had no side effects the first 3 days. Then the 4th day my right knee started hurting when going up and down stairs. It hurts every once in a while so I thought it was no big deal. Well now it is unbearable. I cannot hardly move my knee without pain. It hurts to drive, cross my legs, walk, etc. I have been off this pill for 2 full days and it is getting worse, not better. Then this morning I had a severe headache. Quite possibly the worst one I have ever had. It took all I could do to get out of bed. I also had severe joint pain in my shoulders. I have never had that. I am praying that the pain subsides or I may not be able to drive/work. Only benefit is that my insurance company (anthem) covered this pill 100% because it is labelled as breast cancer preventative. This is nice as fertility drugs are not typically covered."

KT (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "I had breast cancer 9 yrs ago, stage 1. I had 4 mo’s chemo, 6 weeks radiation. Then a 1 1/2 yr. ago it came back, stage 4, and it metastasized to both my lungs. Now, I’ve been on Letrozole 1 1/2 yrs and a few of my tumors shrunk and have stabilized the others. I’ve have some side effects, which is brain fog, night sweats, fatigue and dryness. It’s been very tolerable. I call Letrozole my miracle pill! Good luck to you all! ❤️"

LisaLee (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2018

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer: "Daily hot flashes and night sweats seem to be my worst side effects, especially when I'm hit with intense anxiety every time. My scalp is tender and I've had hair thinning. I also have pain in my joints. But I do not want the cancer to come back. Invasive lobular carcinoma. Bilateral mastectomy"

Anonymous March 31, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "At 75 I was paralyzed from the waist down and diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer & paraneoplastic syndrome. My main tumor was size of an American football, with Mets. Given 1 dose of chemo. 2 weeks later I got pneumonia, a UTI and severe sepsis. My kids were told I had 2 hours to live. Still there the next day I was given a 1% chance of living for a month. More chemo was out so was put on Letrozole. After 8 months of paralysis, I moved my right foot. I started physio, and within 3 months I learned to stand then walk. A year on, my tumors continue to shrink. Then joint pain started after about 8 months in hips, wrists, knees, ankles & bones on top of my feet and I seized up every time I take a break and have start all over again. Morning is hardest. But the bottom line is I am alive. I have been declared a medical miracle... and I owe it all to Letrozole. The pain can be quite bad at times but I take no pain killers. I just sit down and consider the alternative! Thank you Letrozole"

HH (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "A lot of side effects: pain, insomnia, irritability, loss of attention and memory."

Maria (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 21, 2018

For Breast Cancer: "Joint pain can be debilitating. Fortunately another medication I take helps this pain."

TJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 19, 2018

Femara (letrozole) for Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "Right mastectomy 2016, 5 months chemo and 5 weeks radio therapy. Started Femara 15 months ago, prescribed for 5 years. I am experiencing increasing pain in my joints, muscles, liver and over all depression. Am considering stopping femara as the tumour was removed with no spread to lymph nodes. Lymph clearance all the same as the centinel node was infected. I am 55 but feel a lot older than ever before!"

Bodiceae (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: "I’m 54 yrears old & I’ve been taking this Rx, for my MBC w/Extensive Bone Mets, for 6 months. Last week, I suffered a spontaneous fracture of the tibia & fibula bones in my ankle! Might need surgery in a few weeks. I called the manufacturer & they confirmed it can cause osteoporosis & fractures in 14% of patients (in clinical trial #1 & 9% in a second clinical trial.) Also, my vision is getting a bit worse & they confirmed it can also cause several vision problems, in less than 4% of Letrozole users. I’m never, ever taking this drug again!"

Elizabeth (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "In 2015, I was diagnosed with stage 2A, right breast cancer. I had a mastectomy and reconstruction, as well as a full hysterectomy. This is my second year on Letrozole (scheduled for 5) and my symptoms have just started. Mild headaches, back and neck pain, muscle aches, weight gain, and hair loss. The latest is nausea, which I hate! I have high blood pressure and it has been going up, alarmingly. That's really the main concern that I have since heart disease and strokes run in my family. For the first year, I had no side effects, but now it seems like every one of them are converging at the same time. I'm wondering what I'll experience next, but I've decided to remain on the medication and will try to mitigate the symptoms as best I can. I'm 48 and have had a wonderful life, but I'm living for my family, and especially my new grandchild. So, I'll suffer, but it's worth it to stick around for as long as I can."

cancerfree2018 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: "Had lumpectomy 21 years ago with radiation. Last year another type of breast cancer came so had breast removed. Started Letrozole 11 mo ago and I was a bit light headed at first. That has gone away. My hair thinned on top but took some Biotin vitamins and stopped further breakage. Now hair is back to normal. Some various joint stiffness but that goes away. I had blood clots in both lungs from a knee surgery 4 years ago. Had to be on blood thinners 8 months. Last week had a blood clot in my left leg yet again. Went to hospital but didn't make connection for Letrozole to be the cause until I happened to read the information papers in the pill box. The Dr. never mentioned it. So I have stopped the pill and am waiting for the Dr to get back to me about continuing."

snuggles 2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2018