User Reviews for Letrozole to treat Breast Cancer, Metastatic

Also known as: Femara

Letrozole Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 46 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer, Metastatic.

Reviews for Letrozole

LA May 12, 2020

“Been on this drug for 3 months. Extreme hot flashes the. Severe chills. I am sleepy all day. I go to bed sleepy. I wake up sleepy. I fall asleep anywhere. My quality of life is gone because of no energy. Hair loss. Weight gain. Depression which I did not have before. Dizziness and mental fogginess. All of these symptoms Every.Single.Damn.Day”

Angie · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

“It caused horrid pain throughout my entire body and skin 3 weeks into the drug. Also major mood changes - mostly depression and grumpiness. Not the quality of life I am looking for.”

Sheila Ann · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 13, 2019

“I was diagnosed with Metastatic breast cancer 2-9-2016. I am ER and PR Positive Her2 Negative, I am still on my first line of treatment (Letrozole 2.5 daily.(Bone Metastasis only!) Zometa infusions every three months Letrozole has been a wonderful drug for me. Very Minimal side effects. I am currently in month 43 of Letrozole (Femara). I am very thankful for the makers of this drug...”

Bubbly · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 17, 2019

“2018 the worst year of my life Got suddenly diagnosed with met left breast cancer so shocked underwent mastectomy, radiation. HER negative Hormone positive, Underwent oophorectomy to decrease estrogen levels Now on letrozole since 14 months Horrible, hot flashes and night sweat severe arthritis Still coping Thinking of stopping letrazole But oncologist said to continue and have patience Let us hope for better future”

Magic · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2018

“Started letrozole as second line treatment, after tamoxifen (2.5years), for Mets in bones, lymphs and primary still present. Breast tumours just continued to grow, the smaller one more than doubled in 6 weeks. Side effects depended on the brand, was unable to function on one, but once changed it was manageable, just some terrible hot flushes/sweats in the evening. Had hoped to get at least a year on this treatment, but now threatened with radiotherapy to spine and chemo.”

Marie I. · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 4, 2018

“Update from 2015. Still on Letrozole, still no side effects, and still no sign of cancer. It has been 6 years now. It has been the first and only treatment I have had with metastatic breast cancer.”

LisaLee · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 16, 2018

“I had breast cancer 9 yrs ago, stage 1. I had 4 mo’s chemo, 6 weeks radiation. Then a 1 1/2 yr. ago it came back, stage 4, and it metastasized to both my lungs. Now, I’ve been on Letrozole 1 1/2 yrs and a few of my tumors shrunk and have stabilized the others. I’ve have some side effects, which is brain fog, night sweats, fatigue and dryness. It’s been very tolerable. I call Letrozole my miracle pill! Good luck to you all! ❤️”

HH · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 26, 2018

“At 75 I was paralyzed from the waist down and diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer & paraneoplastic syndrome. My main tumor was size of an American football, with Mets. Given 1 dose of chemo. 2 weeks later I got pneumonia, a UTI and severe sepsis. My kids were told I had 2 hours to live. Still there the next day I was given a 1% chance of living for a month. More chemo was out so was put on Letrozole. After 8 months of paralysis, I moved my right foot. I started physio, and within 3 months I learned to stand then walk. A year on, my tumors continue to shrink. Then joint pain started after about 8 months in hips, wrists, knees, ankles & bones on top of my feet and I seized up every time I take a break and have start all over again. Morning is hardest. But the bottom line is I am alive. I have been declared a medical miracle... and I owe it all to Letrozole. The pain can be quite bad at times but I take no pain killers. I just sit down and consider the alternative! Thank you Letrozole”

Elizabeth · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2018

“I’m 54 yrears old & I’ve been taking this Rx, for my MBC w/Extensive Bone Mets, for 6 months. Last week, I suffered a spontaneous fracture of the tibia & fibula bones in my ankle! Might need surgery in a few weeks. I called the manufacturer & they confirmed it can cause osteoporosis & fractures in 14% of patients (in clinical trial #1 & 9% in a second clinical trial.) Also, my vision is getting a bit worse & they confirmed it can also cause several vision problems, in less than 4% of Letrozole users. I’m never, ever taking this drug again!”

SydneyJanssen810 October 22, 2017

“I am taking Letrozole (Femara) and I have malignant pleural effusion secondary to breast cancer. I had my first lympectomy with lymph node removal in 1996 with radiation. Second lymphectomy in 2003 with no treatment. Mastectomy (all the same breast) in 2013 with chemo. Now, I have been diagnosed with malignant pleural effusion (MPE) and have been put on Letrozole. The side effects are really bad from the hot flashes to severe bone and joint pain. Has anyone out there been in my situation and can give me more insight about whether to take or discontinue the letrozole. Thanks in advance.”

Anonymous October 1, 2017

“It was toxic to me. Severe joint pain, insomnia, osteoporosis, increased cholesterol count, and spinal stenosis. I also lacked libido and energy. It is worth the small chance of reoccurrence. I am still in pain, and I have been off of it since the end of April. It has impacted my life enormously; I regret taking it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2016

Femara (letrozole): “I'll make this as brief as possible: This drug isn't putting a dent on ceasing tumor progression in me. Unfortunately, the intravenous chemo [Abraxane] I was on had plateaued and was no longer effective. I have no idea what I will be going on next.”

Curiosity15 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2015

“Switched to Letrozole and Ibrance from Xgeva and Denosobaum April 2015 The weight gain, hair loss and depression are an impending deal breaker. Sorry. Cant live like this.”

Danielinthelionsden August 16, 2015

“I had ER+ HER- stage III 23 positive lymph nodes. Diagnosed Christmas before last. Age 47. Neoadjuvant ACT,surgery,radiation. Letrazole was the first aromatase inhibitor I tried.I am so sorry to hear of the side effects many have had. I have had a few. Gained a little weight,constipation. But I had serious joint pain and stiffness before I had cancer. The chemo made my joint pain and stiffness go away. Even my hips.When I finished it crept back. Then I started letrazole and it went away. I know this helps me becuase I ran out of it on vacation for two days and could barely move the day I got my refill. After three doses I was back to normal. That is good because I have to take it as long as I live.”

Bananafaced · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 21, 2015

“After a modified radical mastectomy for stage 3 breast cancer, I took letrozole for 5 years and my tumor marker test (CA 15-3) remained low. My oncologist and I decided that without any indication of malignancy I could safely go off the letrozole. After 2 years off it my (CA 15-3) blood test shot up and I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer on my chest wall. I resumed taking letrozole and had 36 radiation treatments. I have taken letrozole for 7 months now and my most current CT scan showed the lesion was gone. I know the radiation destroyed most of the lesion but I'm sure the letrozole helped a lot with the rest. I probably will take letrozole for the rest of my life.”

marie I. · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 17, 2015

Femara (letrozole): “Breast Cancer in 1999 Stage 1 Distant recurrence lung tumor in 2012. Given Femara (letrozole). After two months tumor shrunk. Almost 3 years now on letrozole. No side effects and no evidence of disease.”

jessandjodie · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 14, 2015

“Hi, I'm a new member, I had breast cancer at the start of 2013, it had spread to my liver, bone and spine, I had radiotherapy on my spine which worked well, I was then put on letrozole, within 6 months, the scan results showed that all the tumors were shrinking, I had awful hot flushes but coped with them, in April 2014 my scan was clear and was pain free and this was just by taking letrozole, I called it my wonder pill. However, the last few weeks the muscle pain in my legs have started, I went to the health shop and got some Musseltone gel, yes I have spelt it right as it's made from mussels from the sea, it's great, I rub it on a few times a day and before I get out of bed in a morning. For me, Letrozole was my miracle cure.”

ramade June 5, 2013

Femara (letrozole): “Femara for 18 months no side effects for first 6 months, then joint and muscle pain, physical fatigue, bone density loss. Will continue for as long as it works, at the moment looking clear, I want to live.”

Anonymous May 9, 2012

Femara (letrozole): “I've been taking Femara since the breast cancer was discovered in my lung - that has been 10 years this year. Two types of chemo failed to knock it out and as I was preparing for radiation, I started taking Femara. Within a month the tumor began to shrink and all that is left is scarring where it once was. I am so grateful to my doctor for recommending it to me. My other oncologist didn't even mention it. Needless to say I'm happy to be alive and enjoying life.”

MVR March 3, 2012

Femara (letrozole): “After a year on Femara I am beginning to experience severe hair loss, bald patches on top of my head and the hair is turning thin and brittle. Insomnia for the last 2 months, pain in my joints, I was diagnosed with Glaucoma and am very forgetful, i.e. find it defficult to concentrate. But, if Femara stops the recurrence of cancer, I'll keep taking it. If it just were not for the hair loss. ”

jkique November 30, 2010

Femara (letrozole): “Had to get off of this. I still work and could not get past the "brain fog" and severe joint pain.”

Still Here May 23, 2010

Femara (letrozole): “After 7 years of several different medicines to try to stop the growth of the tumors, Femara is the only one which worked for me. My WBC is higher, the tumor has actually shrunk in the breast - but being realistic, it's not a cure-all, a patch for a longer life but eventually we all expire. I highly recommend this product for those who want longevity without losing your quality of life.”

Anonymous July 14, 2009

Femara (letrozole): “I have been using Femara for 8 months, and I have been having very few side effects. I get the hot flashes only once in a while now. I do have some joint pain, but that has been easy to tolerate, if that means I will have a longer life, but only GOD knows that. There is always hope, just keep the faith and have no doubt in the medicine, doctors and mostly GOD.”

Learn more about Breast Cancer, Metastatic