User Reviews for Femara

Femara has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 55 ratings on Drugs.com. 54% of those users who reviewed Femara reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Female Infertility  Off-label 8.8
Breast Cancer, Metastatic   7.0
Breast Cancer, Adjuvant   7.0
Breast Cancer   6.5
Summary of Femara reviews 6.9 55 reviews

Reviews for Femara

Des · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2021

For Female Infertility: “Had my 1st round of Femara in December. I did ovulate for the 1st time that I’m aware of in a long time due to PCOS. I did end up pregnant, but sadly had a chemical pregnancy around 3 weeks. I’m thankful that it did work for us and I was able to conceive. Now is the hard part of figuring out where to go from here. Prayers and love to all!”

inday · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2020

For Female Infertility: “I recently found out I have PCOS. My periods regular never late, then I went to my Dr. she gave me a femara just took my first pill 2-5 days of my period and I'm still hoping this month or year to get pregnant.. keep on praying..”

Bus driver · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 26, 2020

For Breast Cancer: “Caused me weight gain, serious hot flashes, did not have joint pain, headaches, or dizziness before starting this medication. I know these are listed possible side-effects, however, these do cause some functionality issues.”

Improofitworks2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

“I finished IV chemo in April for Stage III ovarian cancer metastasized to omentium & colon! Age 40 when dx, said I would be on something rest of my life! I sleep all day and somedays I have not left the bed! If we are out as a family (I have an 11 yr old)...then if its past like 5PM I literally can't hold my head up bc of so being so tired. It makes me want to eat everything in sight. I can't leave an accurate star review since I'm not out long enough to see if recurrence”

Gonzotx · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “1.7 years, loss of hair, hot flashes, shoulder, elbow, hip pain, dry mouth, high cholesterol, high glucose, high BP...but if it keeps Cancer from returning the side effects, hopefully temporary, will have been worth it”

Anonymous March 31, 2018

For Breast Cancer: “Daily hot flashes and night sweats seem to be my worst side effects, especially when I'm hit with intense anxiety every time. My scalp is tender and I've had hair thinning. I also have pain in my joints. But I do not want the cancer to come back. Invasive lobular carcinoma. Bilateral mastectomy”

Bodiceae · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 5, 2018

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: “Right mastectomy 2016, 5 months chemo and 5 weeks radio therapy. Started Femara 15 months ago, prescribed for 5 years. I am experiencing increasing pain in my joints, muscles, liver and over all depression. Am considering stopping femara as the tumour was removed with no spread to lymph nodes. Lymph clearance all the same as the centinel node was infected. I am 55 but feel a lot older than ever before!”

Smittie May 15, 2017

For Breast Cancer: “I've been taking Femara for a little over 5 months and have yet to experience any side effects whatsoever. I'd been warned about hot flashes, night sweats, joint pain, muscle pain, and so far nothing. I have two smallish tumors in one breast that we caught very early on, and at my 4 month ultrasound they've decreased by about 50%. I'll have a nipple-sparing mastectomy in about 2 weeks with DIEM flap reconstruction...the grossest part of this whole episode in my opinion...followed by radiation. No chemo here, just a very healthy mostly vegetarian diet and tons of walking. I'm 69, 5'6", 135, and so far consider myself about the luckiest cancer patient anywhere. Maybe I'll start feeling sick at some point but not yet. Hang in there ladies!!”

Shorty! September 21, 2016

For Breast Cancer: “I've been taking letrozole(Femara) 9 months, after a right side mastectomy for stage IIA breast cancer. I'm ER & PR positive. No radiation or chemo. I'm 58 & this is the only drug I take, besides vitamins. The first 6 weeks I had trouble sleeping, occasional dizziness, some joint pain, & mild headaches. Around 4 months in, I started losing hair. I'd guess approximately 25% of my hair has fallen out. Besides the hair loss, I have dry eyes, genitals, & skin. There's some stiffness & joint pain in my hips. These side effects are tolerable, especially, knowing that the drug is preventing a cancer recurrence. None of these side effects are enough for me to stop taking letrozole!”

Notfemarame September 9, 2016

For Breast Cancer: “Considering going off of it. Too many severe side effects such as painful hands and feet, tendinitis of wrists, weight gain.”

marge623 May 13, 2016

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: “joint pain, no energy, no enthusiasm for social life, tiredness, weakness, low appetite. Femara is extending my life. I know this since I have been in remission for 5 years after taking Femara. My breast cancer started in right breast 32 years ago. Chemo and Radiation therapy stopped it for 22 years but 5 years ago it matastasized to lung and bones. This is when the oncologist prescribed Femara. I'm now in my "golden" years, a widow for 16 years but determined to find relief for this pain and relief from this depression so I can be happy and enjoy life.”

Jewelry nut · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 2, 2016

For Breast Cancer: “Stg 2b or stg 3 according to onc nurse. Invasive lob cancer. One yr on letrozol.just had bone cancer scare but negative bone scan. Hot flashes, sweats, bone fracture, not injury. Some bleeding from genital tissues. Also had 10 lb weight loss. Anyone else with bleeding and weight loss? Lots of back pain, already had osteo earth.”

april485 March 21, 2016

For Breast Cancer: “I have been on this drug for about 3.5 months now. I was on Aromasin (exemestane) for 2/5 years prior to starting letrozole. I was so hopeful that some of the horrible side effects would not affect me like they did on the exemestane...and for a while, it was not too bad. Now, in month 3, the side effects of severe joint pain, brain fog and shortness of breath are back with a vengeance and the last 3 times my blood pressure was taken, it was inching back up even though I started BP meds after the exemestane raised my BP. I never had any issues with my BP prior to taking these aromatase inhibitors. I guess my PCP will have to raise my dose of BP meds. I am also peeing constantly on letrozole and my hair is coming out more on my brush! UGH!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2016

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: “I'll make this as brief as possible: This drug isn't putting a dent on ceasing tumor progression in me. Unfortunately, the intravenous chemo [Abraxane] I was on had plateaued and was no longer effective. I have no idea what I will be going on next.”

Jill M. November 30, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “Stage 4 HER2 positive breast cancer was found 2011. After a double mastectomy, ( additionally 6 other surgeries due to Staph infection and failed reconstruction attempts) 6 months of 2 types of chemotheraphy, including Newlastin booster shots after each infusion.. total of 1 year of Herceptin chemo infusions. 6 weeks of daily radiation, then... 8 years of Femara. Been taking this medication daily since August 2012...hot flashes/night sweats are awful. Anxiety occassionally. Easily out of breath after any activity. Difficulty maintaining focus and frequent forgetfulness. 3years with this medication and chest, bone and joint pain is intensifying. 5 more years to go. CANCER FREE STILL.”

greyhound lover November 2, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “Had lump removed April 2014 15 treatments of Radiotheraphy then Letrozole. The Doctor only warned about making my already present aches pains worse but felt this was the best for my age now 70. I went out with Daughter Friday felt had to drag myself around so wiped out I feel need to sit down all the time. Go upstairs to bed time get top of stairs sweating very hot feel like running out of air have to sit down on toilet whilst I cool down. During the day constantly fall asleep. Feel this is a poor life with no energy to do anything.Wake in morning headache. sometimes feel sick.”

DOTTIE T CROW September 26, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “stage I breast cancer. I Had lumpectomy no nodes involved. No chemo I chose no radiation.... Been on zoladex and famera so far very few side effects.... But of course I'm just now starting on my second week of use..... I recommend u to get blood work done to check for vitamin deficiencies... And address them it will keep your side effects at a minimum.... ”

Crystalsea · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 21, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “I have been taking Letrozole for one year now after a diagnosis of hormone related breast cancer. Initially my consultant (UK) said I would need a right sided mastectomy. However two weeks later when the biopsy results were back he said he did not think surgery was possible because the tumour appeared to be attached to the muscle. However, CT scan and MRI revealed a 1mm plane between the tumour and the muscle - phew! Letrozole was so effective that it shrank and softened the tumour and by January 2015 I was able to have a bilateral mastectomy. Lymph glands and bone scan were clear. Side effects: persistent hot flashes, so I always wear blouses with buttons and carry an ordinary fan in my handbag; it is a life saver.”

minnesota mama lu September 12, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “Hi everyone, in 2011 I was diagnosed with stage 3A invasive ductal breast cancer - I went through chemo for 4 months and had double mastectomy in March 2012 - followed by 6 weeks of radiation. I was put on tamoxifen for a year and then femara which I currently take now. The biggest thing with femara is being like I am constantly tired and "foggy" - I can handle the hot flashes ( we live in Minnesota - where the winter lasts for 6 months) - I just walk around outside with a t shirt on and I'm good to go! Lately, I have been experiencing hair loss and I don't know if its due to the femara? Anyone else have this problem? Please let me know. Hang in there beautiful ladies (& men)”

Caner Free for now! · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “diagnosed May 2014 with Stage 3 Breast cancer after chemo, removal of the tumor & lymph nods, radiation I started Femara been on it almost 6 months and I have daily joint & muscle pain, fatigue, hot flashes, and most of all weight gain, Im really trying to eat healthy and exercise, but working a full time job its a tough routine to keep up with everyday, (55 and post menopausal). But hey Im still here and hopeful the medication does the good job of keeping the cancer at bay. Doing my best with the symptoms.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “I have recently started taking femara. The first few days were really tough. I had muscle pain and was very emotional and horrible periarea dryness. I would cry about anything. These symptoms have pretty much gone away after day 4. Now after a month, my main side effects seem to be evening fatigue (I would really like to go to bed at 6:30pm) and fuzzy thinking. During the first couple of days of taking this medicine I had my doubts if I would continue, but now I think with time I will find ways to work around the side effects. They really aren't that bothersome.”

Janny'darie · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 29, 2015

For Breast Cancer, Adjuvant: “Stage IIIc Lobular breast CA, node , Started generic Femara 18 months ago after radiation. Minor side effects- hair loss, nails, skin, vaginal dryness. Major- started out with tolerable joint, bone and muscle pain. But about a month ago, these symptoms became severe enough to decrease my quality of life. My oncologist did blood work, all okay. She wanted a bone scan but after ready reviews, this is the Femara not bone cancer. She just has not had amy Patients do this, the literature is based on trials not general population. The literature( and she told me) the symptoms go away by 8 months! Not!! I also have MS ( still mobile, but that has some same/ similar side affects) but Femara more like arthritis. Knees, ankles. Stay on though!”

marie I. · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 17, 2015

For Breast Cancer, Metastatic: “Breast Cancer in 1999 Stage 1 Distant recurrence lung tumor in 2012. Given Femara (letrozole). After two months tumor shrunk. Almost 3 years now on letrozole. No side effects and no evidence of disease.”

Chille Hille · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2015

For Breast Cancer: “Had Grade A Breast Cancer that was caught early. Had a mass and one lymph node removed. Went on Femara on Nov. 8, 2014, the day after I finished radiation. At first, I didn't notice anything. Slowly the pain in my feet started, then other joints in my body. I felt like I was having trouble getting air into my lungs. I started feeling like I was in a fog. I already had been diagnosed with depression years ago which was under control with medication. I started experiencing depression a couple of weeks ago which included waking up and crying. That turned into suicidal depression. Without pain medication, I couldn't move around well. The bottom of my feet were killing me. I work full time. I quit the Femara 2 days ago.”

Megzie · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2014

For Female Infertility: “I struggled with infertility for years. Two months on this medicine and we were pregnant and I now have a healthy 4 year old.”