User Reviews for Letrozole to treat Breast Cancer (Page 4)

Also known as: Femara

Letrozole Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Breast Cancer.

Reviews for Letrozole

2015cancer2004 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 24, 2015

“I had stage 2 breast cancer in 2004 took tamoxifen for 5 years and was then moved to femara. I have had significant bone and muscle pain; weight gain; severe hot flashes/night sweats; and brain fog, forgetfulness; however my 5 years of femara will end in June 2015 however I was under the impression that I would be taken off of this medication; however I have seen many post that show individuals on this medication for 8, 9 or more years. I am not sure what my oncologist has in mind for me. I was 46 when I found out and have had both breast removed and completed 5 months of chemo but I am still concerned to be without any medications for fear of my cancer returning.”

Chille Hille · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2015

Femara (letrozole): “Had Grade A Breast Cancer that was caught early. Had a mass and one lymph node removed. Went on Femara on Nov. 8, 2014, the day after I finished radiation. At first, I didn't notice anything. Slowly the pain in my feet started, then other joints in my body. I felt like I was having trouble getting air into my lungs. I started feeling like I was in a fog. I already had been diagnosed with depression years ago which was under control with medication. I started experiencing depression a couple of weeks ago which included waking up and crying. That turned into suicidal depression. Without pain medication, I couldn't move around well. The bottom of my feet were killing me. I work full time. I quit the Femara 2 days ago.”

Anonymous July 7, 2014

“I have been on Letrozole for 9 months. I have dry mouth, extremely dry skin, vaginal dryness, reduced libido, weight gain and hair loss. My joints are increasingly stiff and painful. I wake in the night from pain and can scarcely walk first thing in the morning. My Breast cancer was stage one an I had both breasts removed. I am considering stopping taking it.”

CHARIN · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 26, 2014

“Was on Arimidex for one year but was changed to Letrozole because I couldn't walk due to burning sensation. Side effects after treatment have been: bone weakening, fatigue, insomnia, night sweats, weight gain (40 Lb) dry hair, feel older than 71, redness in my face, high blood pressure, neuropathy, burping, stiffness after sitting, memory loss, joint pain...but I am happy to be alive. I try not to complain because I want my husband to be happy.”

Positivo · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2014

“I have been on letrozole for 5 months. I experience pretty strong joint pain in hands, fingers and feet especially upon rising in the morning. I look like Walter Brennan going to the bathroom. I am 54 and previously felt like 25, now I often feel 85. Have found something great to prevent weight gain and helps with the energy issue. Still working on vaginal dryness and libido. Have found an anti-inflammatory diet improves pain, energy and mental clarity. ”

firstyear · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 23, 2013

“Got aches and pains in shoulders, knees, stiffness after sitting, trigger fingers and thumb-left hand, thinning hair.”

Billytup October 11, 2013

Femara (letrozole): “I have been on Femara for 3 years now, following 5 years on Tamoxifen as part of the Tango treatment for breast cancer. I have experienced severe joint pain, vaginal dryness, loss of libido, etc. But thought it was worth the effects in order to keep me 'cancer free'. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003. I have also issues with bone problems i.e. broke my foot 4 years ago & chipped my knee joint. But hey I'm still here. Keep persevering girls!”

Loving Life · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 9, 2013

Femara (letrozole): “After a lumpectomy for stage 1 Breast Cancer, I was prescribed two other aromatase inhibitors prior to Femara. I had occasional head pain in one spot from all of them. I also had trigger finger and terrible knee pain from Arimidex. My doctor then put me on brand name Femara and the joint pain, head pain, and trigger finger all went away. What is bothering me now is the hair loss (can see my scalp!), memory loss--constantly groping for words. Sometimes I do feel like I'm "foggy" but mostly I just can't remember words. I feel it is getting worse as time goes on and I do not understand why others report the same but there is no mention of this in the patient information leaflet.”

Femaranotforme October 8, 2013

Femara (letrozole): “I have been on Femara for 9 months. First few months were tolerable, as time progresses, I am miserable. In beginning, I experienced nausea and diarrhea. As this went away, the bone and joint pain began. I would be awakened from my sleep in tears, as my hips would ache just from lying in bed. My hands/fingers hurt to make a fist, or do any type of extended writing. My knees ache horribly. When I get out of bed in the morning, I need to stand still for at least 2 or 3 minutes until I can get my legs to work. Same thing when sitting for any length of time. I am 45 and feel like I am 85. ”

Mrs. Nagbe · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2013

Femara (letrozole): “I was diagnosed with breast cancer (stage 2) - underwent 6 months of chemo and 6 weeks radiation. My hair regrowth was pretty quick but began thinning significantly after about a year of Tamoxifen usage (could see my scalp pretty clearly in the front and on top of my head). My doctor switched me to Femara about 2 months ago - side effects include lots of hot flashes (about 6-10 daily) and weight gain which I am combating by working out everyday and cutting my calories. I am prayerful that I don't experience anymore hair loss or the joint pain that I keep reading about. Everyone hang in there!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 5, 2013

“Some muscle and bone pain, but nothing unbearable. Weight gain....joining a gym. The closest thing to a hot flash is a pin prickly sensation. Overall happy with with this so far...9 months down, 51 more to go.”

Tootygirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 10, 2013

Femara (letrozole): “I have been taking Femara for almost two years now after my second surgery for estrogen receptive positive breast cancer with no lymph nodes involved. Sure there are multiple side effects, some pretty tough to deal with sometimes but I am 66 years young and I love living. Give it a GO and keep on living.”

EricaLisa February 9, 2013

Femara (letrozole): “I have been on Femara for almost a year. At first I had nearly constant hot flashes/night sweats. Was started on Effexor with nearly immediate relief. Have had increasingly painful joint and muscle pain, especially in my knees. Nothing seems to be helping much with that and it has been a major detriment to my quality of life. Have recently added Magnesium, Fish Oil and Glucosamine/Chrondroitin to the Calcium and D3 I had been taking. Hopefully this will ease the joint stiffness and pain. I am 52 and some days feel 92. Still I am cancer free so far, so I will continue to take Femara.”

Anonymous November 11, 2012

“I am 40 years old and I have been taking Letrozole for about a year. I found a lump shortly after my son was born 5 years ago. I had chemo, radiation and was put on tamoxifen. I had a reoccurence in the lymph node in Dec of 2011 and the oncologist took me off tamoxifen and put me on letrozole. I am suffering from joint pain, memory loss, very fatigued all the time, depression, hot flashes. I do very little for myself since my children are only 9 and 5 years old. I feel I need to take care of them first before I can do anything for myself. I am hoping the letrozole will give me more hope than tamoxifen. I'm preventing a recurrence. I need to be around a lot longer for my beautiful children.”

lkw123 April 23, 2012

Femara (letrozole): “I have been on Femara for 4 months. Hand pain and weight gain.”

noosa April 11, 2012

Femara (letrozole): “I am 65 and have been on Femara for 2 years. Side effects quite severe. Joint pain, lost libido, dry vagina. However it is what it is and we must continue to take. So, I decided to fight the effect, dry vagina improved with a non hormonal lubricant. For joint pain, fish oil, magnesium, zinc and calcium twice a day, big improvement. Also each morning no matter how stiff you are, go walking, it warms up the joints and gets you going for the rest of the day. I also do weights 3 times a week to increase muscle to protect bones. All have made big a difference. No weight gain. Vitamins have certainly helped keep hair and skin in good condition. Three more years of it so it's best to just keep trying to counteract the negative effects.”

rosies mom February 8, 2012

Femara (letrozole): “I had many side effects- including, hot flashes, confusion, stomach problems, vaginal dryness, tired easily and bone weakening. On the bright side-I have had no recurrence and it is now 12 years since my diagnosis with lymph node involvement.”

Anonymous September 20, 2011

Femara (letrozole): “My main concern was the memory loss. I could tolerate the hot flashes, the "morning sickness" was undesired and difficult, but the memory loss is something I can't deal with.”

Anonymous January 2, 2011

Femara (letrozole): “I am 46 yrs old, stage IV MBC to lungs, been on femara for 1.5 years. My tumors were 40% down after one year and I am about to do next ct-scan soon. My side effects are minor muscle pain (and possibly some anxiety but may be unrelated). I have simultaneously adopted vegan life style and do regular exercise (yoga and walking). I have so much energy I don't know what to do with it. I don't gain weight either, and my muscle pain is usually gone after a brief stretch or walk. I highly recommend vegan diet and exercise to those who want to minimize pain. Thanks all and good luck.”

SusanLea September 7, 2010

Femara (letrozole): “I'm 4 years status post breast CA and doing well... no recurrence for my Stage IIIA. I started taking tamoxifen, then my oncologist switched me to Femara. I do have frequent hot flashes ((whew!) and joint and bone pain that worsens with being tired. Overall, I am able to tolerate the medication, and my oncologist believes it is the treatment of choice for me. The side effects of being without estrogen are worse than the Femara side effects. I know the drug is working as having no estrogen produced results in atrophic vaginitis, decreased sex drive, and other female issues that are bothersome. But, in the big picture of life, it's a small price to pay to be, and hopefully stay, cancer free. I will continue to use Femara!”

Anonymous May 23, 2010

Femara (letrozole): “I was on Tamoxifen for 2 years following breast cancer and doing fine. My oncologist wanted to try Femara because it could be a little better. I was on it for about 3 months when I awoke in the middle of the night with horrible joint pain, It had been coming on slowly, but I thought it was carpel tunnel, maybe arthritis. Then I realized that my doctor had said that joint pain was a possible side effect of Femara. I was also gaining approximately 2 pounds a month! I have been off of it for a month now, but am still having pain. It is worse in the mornings and evenings. Trying to grip with my hands is very difficult some mornings. My doctor said it could take a few months to get this out of my system. ”

Anonymous December 13, 2009

Femara (letrozole): “I am 52 years old and I too feel older than I am. I already have problems getting out of bed and I suffered with Sarcoidosis which affect the organs and causes joint pain, sending me constantly to different Specialists. Now I am taking Femara and it's not only causing me more pain, but it's causing my hair to fall out or thinning! I also notice that my vision is impaired sometimes when I'm driving and I only drive when I have too, but sometimes I find myself trying hard to focus. This is scary! I am calling my Oncologist tomorrow morning first thing. ”

GALSALKY August 16, 2009

Femara (letrozole): “I have been on Femara for 5 years and have not had any reaction. Very pleased with this medicine.”

Little D July 9, 2009

Femara (letrozole): “I have been on Femara for 3 months. After taking Tamoxifen for approximately 2 years, which I could not tolerate any longer, my oncologist put me on the Femara. While my hot flashes have pretty much disappeared, the joint and bone pain I am suffering is unbearable. My elbows, hands, fingers, knees, ankles and feet are the worse. In the mornings I cannot get out of bed. I take thyroid medicine in the morning and cannot open the bottle. It takes about 20 minutes before I can close my fingers or bend my toes. Nighttime is also bad. After sitting for short periods I cannot get up. I have never felt better in my life except for the constant agonizing pain. I am a very active 49 year old but feel like I am 90. This pain gets worse every day. I can only imagine what it will be like in 3 more months. I I am seeing my oncologist this week and am going to tell him I am stopping this drug. I believe the quality of my life is more important that the quantity.”

lmfaucon April 6, 2009

Femara (letrozole): “For the past two years I've used Femara with no side effects at all, and still cancer free for 5 years now.”

Learn more about Breast Cancer

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)