User Reviews for Picato to treat Actinic Keratosis

Picato has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of Actinic Keratosis. 38% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

Picato Rating Summary

4.9/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Actinic Keratosis.

Reviews for Picato

Phil · Taken for less than 1 month July 13, 2019

“I was very fortunate with my use of Picato. I have a site on my left cheek that I have to pay very close attention to because I had a squamous cell carcinoma removed from there in 2006. It will get dry at the sight of the surgery and I am always concerned that there will be a return of the cancer there. In the past I was prescribed Fluorouracil for the two week treatment. My skin always has a more severe reaction to that treatment. I applied the Picato to the area, it is about three square inches, for the three days. Day one was like a mild sunburn. Day two there was a little more burning and some mild swelling under the eye. Day three was just slightly worse than day two with the same symptoms. After day four there was just dry peeling with no pain. One week later and all of the dry skin has peeled away and the sight looks the best it has in years. I feel bad for the people who had a bad reaction to it but my experience was much better than I expected.”

LeanneCJohnson March 23, 2016

“I have now finished my second picato treatment for ak. I did the first about 8 months ago. While the process is quite painful and very unsightly for a good 29/24 days, I have been very pleased with not only the results of removing the AK sites but helped my entire face to look smoother, more evenly pigmented with fewer fine lines and weinkles. I did use coconut oil two days after the 3 day topical treatment. I had severe flsking, cracking, a few blisters and couldn't open my mouth to eat with the pain. The doctor did prescribe me s lotion to promote healing after the procedure but insurance wouldn't cover and it would cost $75. I stuck with the coconut oil. more info is needed for patients after treatment”

Jo January 15, 2020

“After rinsing the Picvato gel off my face in the afternoon (6 hours each day x3 days of treatment) I applied vitamin e. I also drank 2 plus liters of water to help with keeping my skin moisturized. (I waited for 3 rainy/cold days in a row to start my treatment.) I took Advil immediately after applying each day. I took Benadryl at night to help me to sleep. I feel like this is the best treatment for me.”

Shane · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 3, 2020

“This is by far the worst medication ever! I used this medication on my face and it’s been 10 months and I still have giant dark marks of where I used it!! I have had 3 laser treatments and my face is still disgusting! This is the worst medication ever and I advise no one to ever use this ever! I may be permanently scarred! This is so horrible and I can’t believe anyone would ever prescribe this or how this is still on the market! I dread every day waking up and seeing the damage it did to my face!”

Amy · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

“Picato literally made my AK worse. I started with just a small red, scaly patch and maybe 3 or 4 bumps. First of all, using the picato was awful. It chemically burned my face so bad I looked like I had road rash on my face. After healing from the damage picato caused, I now have a very dark patch of what appears to be damaged skin with several more and larger bumps. Again, this is on my face! I don't think doctors should have patients use this on their face.”

Pattygecko · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2019

“Started burning within 30 minutes. My cheeks were red as if severely sunburned. The burning subsided after 3 hours. My cheeks stayed red. The next morning my face was swelled up. Three days later there are still red blotches all over my face. The skin is extremely dry and cracky. I pray my skin will recover its softness at some point. Needless to say, I did not apply on Day 2.”

crawCT · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2018

“This drug cost $841.24 for 3 little tubes of medicine with a very small amount of Picato in each tube. I applied it on my forehead as directed for 3 days, the infected area turned red, scabbed over and healed nicely. Approximately 1 month later my condition started to reappear and several months later I am in the same condition that I looked prior to my using this drug. It did nothing for me.”

I hate picato · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 10, 2020

“It’s been 10 months after using picato on my face. I still have post inflammatory hyperpigmentation that won’t fade. I tried hydroquinone, I tried 3 laser treatments among other bleaching creams. Nothing has worked! I still have a gigantic dark blemish where this was used 10 months ago! I don’t know what else to do.”

From the Bay Area · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2020

“This is my 3rd experience using the 0.015% gel on some diffuse AK around my forehead, sides of face and are just below the nose. I am on day 3 and just applied my last dose after dinner. I take ibuprofen just before each dose is applied but it doesn’t seem to completely help with the pain and burning that starts at about 15 minutes and lasts for about 9 hours. The day after the first dose, I get lots of crusty skin from serous fluid being released. It actually feels better after a morning shower with a very mild face cleaner. I apply either Vaseline or Cerave (I think Auquafor would also work) to keep the skin from getting dry and tight. The worst pain and burning is in the hours just after application. Taking a walk in the cold after dark provides some relief. I know my skin looks frightening right now and will for at least 3 more days but I know from past experience, the crustiness will go away and I can at least camouflage with makeup until the redness goes away.”

Camille · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2018

“I was prescribed Picato .O15, 3days, twice a day approx one month after a small cancerous eruption on on my nose was removed. It is two months later and my nose is still beat red. My dermatologist says it takes awhile for the redness to go away. I went to a second dermatologist and he stated Laser should be used. I went to a 3rd dermatologist approx 3 days ago and she prescribed a cream twice a day and another cream at night. I go back to her in 2 weeks. .”

Coastalzone · Taken for less than 1 month March 8, 2020

“I used pecato first dose yesterday afternoon. I felt nothing and saw nothing until I went to bed. It became very sore, tight, and red. I was able to have a restless sleep. It did not completely keep me up. This morning the whole area was covered in blisters, but no pain. I reapplied this afternoon on a smaller area. I was afraid to put on the whole area since it was so blistered. It's Sunday so I can't ask for suggestions from dermatologist. Next time I will make sure I take my dosage during the week in case I need help from my doctor”

LynnLou March 15, 2020

“It’s been 4 months since I used Picato gel on my entire face. (I have 6 areas of AK to be treated) I still have redness and my skin has completely changed. It’s very dry and rough. My face used to be really oily. I exfoliate once or twice a week and have been using Beautycounter products for 3 months without any change. Another thing I’ve noticed, is small acne like whiteheads where the redness is the most noticeable. (Forehead, nose, chin) Has anyone else experienced this? Will it ever get better? :-(”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2018

“I started picato gel day after Christmas the 26th because I'm off work till Jan 2nd tuesday. The doctor administer on my nose 12/26. It was a bit red hours later and I rinsed off after 8 hrs. It is burning but not that bad. On day two I went back and had doctor administer on nose again. I was too scared to put on myself for fear of getting in my eyes. The doctor said don't put on if day three if too irritated. Well second night was completely different! Even though was put on my nose it got very, very red and SORE to left of nose also. I have NEVER EVER seen skin as RED and irritated EVER. It was put on for 2 and half hours 3rd day only. It get more RED AND SORE as time goes on AFTER the 3 days! Today is Monday - New Years day. It' s better from applying vaseline, neoposorin,”

Kkbt · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2016

“I have ak on my legs & arms. After 5-6 yrs using the usual topicals and not having any real results, picato gave me the results I was looking for.”

Mp · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2020

“I like Picato and have used it off an on over the years. It works well, but the reality is that if you go out in the sun, the AK comes back. I was able to use a coupon which worked great”

Cake maker · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 17, 2020

“I have used picato several times, causes quite a bit of discomfort but does the trick. The only issue I have is that the results are short lived. Actinic keratosis comes back within a few months.”

Learn more about Actinic Keratosis