User Reviews for Imiquimod

Also known as: Aldara, Zyclara

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Imiquimod.

Basal Cell Carcinoma

Keratosis

Human Papilloma Virus

Condylomata Acuminata
6.6

Summary of Imiquimod reviews 7.1 231 reviews

Reviews for Imiquimod

For Human Papilloma Virus: "So I had a couple of bumps below the head of my penis. I applied the cream with a qtip and applied a bandage on it since I didn't want to cream to get on the unaffected surfaces of my penis. It was applied every other day for 2 weeks and I had not noticed a change. I increased the frequency to daily for the the following 2 weeks. The bumps started to flatten out. However, as they flattened out, I notice that it created a opened sore in the skin where the bump used to be. I had to carefully keep the area clean from pus/blood for the following 2 weeks. I'm currently on week 8. My skin has healed but there is noticeable scarring. I would suggest not to do what I did and applying it daily since I believe it caused the open sores."

37 yr old male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: "Four years ago, I used Zyclara for two weeks, took a two week break, and continued the second cycle for one week. During the first cycle, I experienced flu like symptoms and the open sores. I had to wear band aids on my face to hide the sores and it was very uncomfortable. However, within 3-4 months, I received numerous comments about my skin and how healthy it looked. I applied a second dose a year ago to isolated areas and did not have any of the severe issues from the first time. My dermatologist recommended stopping the treatment at the first sign of open sores or major irritation, but I never had to follow that advice. Although the first application results were extreme and unexpected, I am glad that I did it."

V G R December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "HPV base of penis about 15+ yrs ago. 7 to 8 warts ranging in size from small dot like this "." to 2 to 3 mm further out from base. 1st had liquid N2 applied.. came back w/in 6 months. Prescribed Aldara (new on market at the time & I don't think the side effects were well or widely known?) I was told small amount once /day, 14 days. By the evening of the 2nd day fever- chills started. Application site was irritated. Day 5 was AGONY. Felt as if skin, including scrotum had been peeled off! (didnt put it there). Fever, achy (immune response in high gear!) Stopped treatment, pain continued to worsen 2 days. 2 weeks to heal....BUT HPV COMPLETELY GONE 15+ yrs. I would recommend stop @ 1st sign of irritation, wait, apply again, stop, etc"

5555guy November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I am just starting week 3 of 12 for BCC on my sideburn. The area turned into a scab almost immediately and is now about the size of a British penny -- it has been sore at times, and I have noticed another spot below it that may just be an insect bite. I go running most days and I'm pretty healthy - I did notice feeling a bit lethargic and my airways not being so clear, but I'm currently putting that down to the weather and my training regime. I will update as I progress."

Blobface October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I recently used it and posted my comments which are favourable, but I though you might be interested in what can only be termed as side effect. My finger nails nails are really growing fast, for some reason, my little finger nails usually split and my thumb nails usually split at the base, but there has been no sign of splitting and are growing really well - I have even cut them some thing I have never done in my life at 72 year old,"

MONSTERCNICS (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I used this on a persistent basal cell carcinoma, in the centre of my forehead, which never healed and bleed at times, on application ,nothing happened much for a week, but then my face erupted right across my forehead, large red blotches which turned to blisters. I used it for three weeks instead of six weeks as recommended. I went to my doctor who said to stop using it. The scabs soon cleared, and after a short while my skin was clear and back to normal. Was it worth it?Most definitely, no carcinoma, in the UK it's a prescription drug and only available through a doctor, and paid for by our NHS so I don't know the cost."

monsterincnc (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Long story short. Imiquimod is the best thing that ever happened to me! It got rid of my unsightly nasty genital warts and boosts my immune system to fight them always. I felt strange my first use, my heart beats fast, head hurts, areas of my genitals swelled up and caused warts on other areas. When that happens your viral load is HIGH! Now I look down there and my confidence is back all thanks to this special drug. I wish some people will stop downing it. Without imiquimod there would be no help for my condition"

Freeme2017 September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm a 37 year old female recently diagnosis with low risk HPV or genital warts. After much crying about this diagnosis my doctor decided Aldara would be best so I could see the warts start to disappear. I chose Mon, Wed and Friday to be my treatment days. It's been one week and I can no longer see or feel any warts and I am both amazed and relieved! I will continue to use this product for additional week just to make sure everything has cleared. Thank you Aldara! I read some horror stories concerning the side effects and I'm guessing I'm one of the lucky one cause I never had any real severe side effects. I did have slight irritation, redness of skin, and very mild itching. Aldara worked for me!!!"

Seeingthelight (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "The Dr said I had genital warts and put me on Aldara and said I should use it for 4 weeks, thrice per week. I only used this cream once and within two days the warts started disappearing and within four days it had cleared totally. I used just a pea sized amount and applied it with a cotton swab directly on the warts. It did get a little uncomfortable and itchy after about three hours."

Girlguest (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "My basal cell had recurred after surgical removal. Another removal would have resulted in extensive plastic surgery. The Aldara had no visible effect until the second week. By the fifth week, the area looked horrible and I became concerned. Nevertheless, I continued application and by week eight, I was looking in the mirror at new, fresh, pink skin. Wonderful! Based upon my experience, I think it is generally correct to believe that if there is one basal cell area, the entire face is damaged, even though it is not visible. Therefore, I would recommend using the cream only on the limited, visible lesion. Otherwise, the area of lesions will be large and scary."

Uncle Frank August 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I appreciate this drug because provided the BCC isn't too deep or on the lips, it can save surgery and scarring. Since my Dad ended up looking like a patchwork quilt, I am very grateful for the surgeries saved. I only once has a bad reaction, and that was with a large, deep BCC on my back. On more now for face and arm and so far not so bad. I just think of it as weed killing."

Suthers (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "My second round of Aldara. I am HPV + 16 & 18 the monsters. I'm using Aldara. I sachet per treatment and 3 treatments per week. (Mon/Wed/Fri) for 16 weeks. Initially the cream caused the usual discomfort, burning, itching, chills, feverish. I'm being treated for vaginal intraepithelial neoplasia grade 2/3 (VAIN2/3). Aldara has to be placed on a tampon and inserted internally and left for a couple hours. I'm into my 2nd month and no side effects at all. I use a little KY Jelly at the base of tampon to assist for lubrication. I'm also juicing, eating veggies mostly during the week and drinking green tea and taking vitamins to build immune system. Hoping to rid the HPV for good. I see professor in 2.5 months and will know more then."

Lee Bee (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Condylomata Acuminata: "I'm a gay male and had developed a killer case of internal and external anal warts about 6 or 7 years ago. I thought I would never again have anal sex because my butt was just so nasty. I went to the derm and she gave me Aldara to try. It didn't really do much. I ended up finding a wonderful proctologist who performed laser surgery on my behind. My butt is completely like new! "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Second time on Aldra. The first time I used it on my right temple, nose, and my face. I was covered in red blotches, like scalds, but I don't remember any severe reactions. I can't seem to remember it hurting, and it was worth it. It cleared the persistent and sore bcc on my nose and temple. I now have another bcc on my forehead which has been persistent and shown no sign of healing, and has bleed at times. My GP/doctor has prescribed a course of Aldara and this time I have a much worse reaction, one side of my face has come with very red like swollen spots, blistering, and I have flu like symptoms. But I am sure it will be worth it."

inc August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Molluscum Contagiosum: "I had sex with somebody' I had known for years and two weeks later I had grown 4 bumps. They weren't inside my vagina they where in the outside of it. Mostly on the top. I got nervous and went to the clinic. The doctor kept telling me is nothing it will go away. So I left it alone. 2 months later it was still there so when back at least two more times to the clinic and they said the same thing. Fortunately 2 of them went away but I hate looking at the rest and it spreaded a little. I have had it for at least 6 months. So decided to go to a different clinic. They prescribed imiquimod. I've been using it for about a month now and it kinda has been working. Is clearing very slowly. But it gets very red and itchy sometimes so I put Aloe"

ShyG (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "This female lesbian at 55 contracted the HPV 5 years ago. I started the aldara recommended from gyno, used for 3 months and the bumps turned flat and grey in color covering both sides of happy place. Horrible. Eventually I had to have surgery to cut it all out. I recovered and went 4 years in remission. Aldara did not work for me. Just had 2nd out break recently. Both sides again. I tried the home remedies, vinegar, crushed aspirin paste, etc ended up getting burned pretty bad, but the vinegar works, put on with Q tip, not on surrounding skin. Now I'm trying somxl cream. Praying it works, us females have a much harder time with it than you guys ,"

bluebirds rock (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: "I am currently using Zyclara for a basal cell in my ear. I have had this before about 7 years ago and used Aldara at the time that completely cured it. I was prescribed this cream this time at my doc's recommendation because it is a little milder than Aldara and the skin is thinner in the ear. I have been using this now for 3 weeks without any breaks and have 3 more weeks to go as per my derm. I haven't had any flu like symptoms and side effects are just on the treated area, extreme swelling, raw skin, oozing, redness, slight burning and scabbing. I started with one spot that looked like a pimple and with the cream came many more. Once I'm done I am hoping obviously that my basal cell is gone and my ear looks like an ear again."

Staceymp June 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I discovered two genital warts, one on the shaft and another at the base. I went to get them frozen off and was clear for a few months but then they returned and I had developed up to about 7. I went back and used the liquid nitrogen treatment and was prescribed the imiquimod cream. I have been using it for the past 4 months now and have not seen any progress other than some irritation, redness and scabbing. I am almost out of my prescription and have another appointment lined up to make another attempt. It has been very difficult on me emotionally and on my relationship with my partner and hope it will eventually work and have it all go away. I am trying to be patient but there really isn't much else I can do."

123guy123 June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "About 6 month ago I noticed some tiny warts about 13 on the base of my penis so I had them checked from a dermatologist. He told me they look like Boweoid Papulosis and warts. He recommended Aldara and told me to put a thin layer on them for 4 weeks. 3 times a week. Absolutely nothing happened during this period. When I saw him again he gave me another 8 weeks (2 packets). I am on my 8th week now and no change except I think they may be getting slightly bigger. I have not had sex with my partner for the last 6 months and due this problem I am getting more and more depressed. I am losing hope with this medication and am not sure where to turn too. I would be much obliged for any advice given."

Jady123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "I had a very large cluster of anal warts. I went to two colon rectal specialists. The first one was a male and insisted that the infection and removal of warts could only be treated via surgery which would have costs close to $10,000 dollars. So I got a second a opinion from a female colon rectal specialist who also felt that surgery was the best option. That being said she allowed me to try Aldara first. Let me just say that Aldara is a miracle drug! After 8 weeks of treatment and monitoring with my doctor, 100% of the warts were gone. Even my doctor was floored that Aldara was able to treat even the worst cases of anal warts. She would have had me surgery the next day if it weren't for Aldara. It's been a year with no recurrence"

Htownguy82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "This drug works well at killing warts, but it's best to start with the tiniest amount to check how your body responds to it, and then ramp it up if you don't get a strong response. I didn't follow the boilerplate "3 times a week" usage guidance because this was too slow for me. I used it every day and amply, until after about 1 week when the 'blistering' effect started to kick in, then I backed off. The negative reviews from people who got bad reactions are missing the point a little. The whole idea of the drug is to ramp up an immune response in the area you apply it. The red blistering/rash/swelling etc is precisely what you want: this is the immune system doing its work."

Eric4645 June 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I am in week 2 of 16! The affected area was believed to be small, but the cream has "discovered" other affected areas and now the blisters cover an area of 3cmx3cm on my forehead. They hurt, and look bad, I'm using a headscarf now to go out. Knowing that the alternative is surgery to remove an area that size, I think its worth it at the end, but the process is not fun at all. Am also experiencing fatigue and flu-like symptoms since the beginning."

AGG12345 June 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I am not going to sugar coat this for you, It is a painfully itchy, sleepless, process. Not for the faint at heart. Put on your big girl panties and take it like a woman cause it doesn't get better until the 6th week when you're all done. And if you have the guts to start all over and treat other areas then you are Super woman. It turns your cells into red blistering raw looking meat that is horrible to look at and worse to feel. But getting rid of the cancer cells is all that matters here. So do it, but be prepared to take time off if needed and be prepared to be miserable."

Dana Lee (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I used the off brand because it ended up only $10 with my insurance. First of all, my doctor told me not to worry about getting every spot. The meds help your body fight it off so it is going to clear it up everywhere despite you not getting every bump. My first sign of HPV warts was 4 months ago. A couple bumps turned into several. I started using this cream and within two weeks, I now only have 2 bumps and they keep getting smaller after each use. Important!!! Do not over-use the cream. When I did I got aches all over my body and it was so bad I needed Advil. But it only happened the day after I used it and only was bad for about a week. The worst day was after I applied the cream twice. Only apply once and very sparingly. It does work!!"

Used off brand (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I am finishing week 2 of 4, treating bcc on my chest and shoulders. My chest is bright red with large scabs the covers the majority of my chest. It constantly burns and itches. As of the completion of the first week I started experiencing headaches, chills, body aches, the occasional nausea and dizziness. Anti inflammatory and hot baths help ease the aches. Honestly if it were not such a large area I would prefer doc to cut and stitch like he has done many times before. I am going to try to stick out these last two weeks...."

Bc1100 April 30, 2017