User Reviews for Imiquimod

Also known as: Aldara, Zyclara

Learn more about Imiquimod.

Condylomata Acuminata 4 reviews 6 medications

7.2
Basal Cell Carcinoma 40 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Imiquimod reviews 216 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Imiquimod

For Human Papilloma Virus: "This female lesbian at 55 contracted the HPV 5 years ago. I started the aldara recommended from gyno, used for 3 months and the bumps turned flat and grey in color covering both sides of happy place. Horrible. Eventually I had to have surgery to cut it all out. I recovered and went 4 years in remission. Aldara did not work for me. Just had 2nd out break recently. Both sides again. I tried the home remedies, vinegar, crushed aspirin paste, etc ended up getting burned pretty bad, but the vinegar works, put on with Q tip, not on surrounding skin. Now I'm trying somxl cream. Praying it works, us females have a much harder time with it than you guys ,"

bluebirds rock (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: "I am currently using Zyclara for a basal cell in my ear. I have had this before about 7 years ago and used Aldara at the time that completely cured it. I was prescribed this cream this time at my doc's recommendation because it is a little milder than Aldara and the skin is thinner in the ear. I have been using this now for 3 weeks without any breaks and have 3 more weeks to go as per my derm. I haven't had any flu like symptoms and side effects are just on the treated area, extreme swelling, raw skin, oozing, redness, slight burning and scabbing. I started with one spot that looked like a pimple and with the cream came many more. Once I'm done I am hoping obviously that my basal cell is gone and my ear looks like an ear again."

Staceymp June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I discovered two genital warts, one on the shaft and another at the base. I went to get them frozen off and was clear for a few months but then they returned and I had developed up to about 7. I went back and used the liquid nitrogen treatment and was prescribed the imiquimod cream. I have been using it for the past 4 months now and have not seen any progress other than some irritation, redness and scabbing. I am almost out of my prescription and have another appointment lined up to make another attempt. It has been very difficult on me emotionally and on my relationship with my partner and hope it will eventually work and have it all go away. I am trying to be patient but there really isn't much else I can do."

123guy123 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "About 6 month ago I noticed some tiny warts about 13 on the base of my penis so I had them checked from a dermatologist. He told me they look like Boweoid Papulosis and warts. He recommended Aldara and told me to put a thin layer on them for 4 weeks. 3 times a week. Absolutely nothing happened during this period. When I saw him again he gave me another 8 weeks (2 packets). I am on my 8th week now and no change except I think they may be getting slightly bigger. I have not had sex with my partner for the last 6 months and due this problem I am getting more and more depressed. I am losing hope with this medication and am not sure where to turn too. I would be much obliged for any advice given."

Jady123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "I had a very large cluster of anal warts. I went to two colon rectal specialists. The first one was a male and insisted that the infection and removal of warts could only be treated via surgery which would have costs close to $10,000 dollars. So I got a second a opinion from a female colon rectal specialist who also felt that surgery was the best option. That being said she allowed me to try Aldara first. Let me just say that Aldara is a miracle drug! After 8 weeks of treatment and monitoring with my doctor, 100% of the warts were gone. Even my doctor was floored that Aldara was able to treat even the worst cases of anal warts. She would have had me surgery the next day if it weren't for Aldara. It's been a year with no recurrence"

Htownguy82 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "This drug works well at killing warts, but it's best to start with the tiniest amount to check how your body responds to it, and then ramp it up if you don't get a strong response. I didn't follow the boilerplate "3 times a week" usage guidance because this was too slow for me. I used it every day and amply, until after about 1 week when the 'blistering' effect started to kick in, then I backed off. The negative reviews from people who got bad reactions are missing the point a little. The whole idea of the drug is to ramp up an immune response in the area you apply it. The red blistering/rash/swelling etc is precisely what you want: this is the immune system doing its work."

Eric4645 June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I am in week 2 of 16! The affected area was believed to be small, but the cream has "discovered" other affected areas and now the blisters cover an area of 3cmx3cm on my forehead. They hurt, and look bad, I'm using a headscarf now to go out. Knowing that the alternative is surgery to remove an area that size, I think its worth it at the end, but the process is not fun at all. Am also experiencing fatigue and flu-like symptoms since the beginning."

AGG12345 June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I am not going to sugar coat this for you, It is a painfully itchy, sleepless, process. Not for the faint at heart. Put on your big girl panties and take it like a woman cause it doesn't get better until the 6th week when you're all done. And if you have the guts to start all over and treat other areas then you are Super woman. It turns your cells into red blistering raw looking meat that is horrible to look at and worse to feel. But getting rid of the cancer cells is all that matters here. So do it, but be prepared to take time off if needed and be prepared to be miserable."

Dana Lee (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I used the off brand because it ended up only $10 with my insurance. First of all, my doctor told me not to worry about getting every spot. The meds help your body fight it off so it is going to clear it up everywhere despite you not getting every bump. My first sign of HPV warts was 4 months ago. A couple bumps turned into several. I started using this cream and within two weeks, I now only have 2 bumps and they keep getting smaller after each use. Important!!! Do not over-use the cream. When I did I got aches all over my body and it was so bad I needed Advil. But it only happened the day after I used it and only was bad for about a week. The worst day was after I applied the cream twice. Only apply once and very sparingly. It does work!!"

Used off brand (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I am finishing week 2 of 4, treating bcc on my chest and shoulders. My chest is bright red with large scabs the covers the majority of my chest. It constantly burns and itches. As of the completion of the first week I started experiencing headaches, chills, body aches, the occasional nausea and dizziness. Anti inflammatory and hot baths help ease the aches. Honestly if it were not such a large area I would prefer doc to cut and stitch like he has done many times before. I am going to try to stick out these last two weeks...."

Bc1100 April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Had a BCC on my leg and used the cream successfully for 6 weeks. Cancer is gone. Starting it again for one above my mouth and was instructed to spread the cream across entire area between nose and mouth. 6-7 spots lit up with sores including one on lower lip. But the real problem for me is that I got the side effect of a cough deep in my lungs. On antibiotics for that which isn't working because I guess it's not a bacterial infection. I completed 3 of the 6 weeks and am going to stop to get rid of the cough before it develops into pneumonia."

Mich2 April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I have a low-risk strain of HPV. I noticed 8 years ago a teeny tiny little white spot, size of a point of a ball point pen near the opening of my vagina. Never showed up in any STI tests, never passed to my partner of 7 years, had it even before I met him. 2 acid treatments didn't do the trick, was prescribed this. After 3 treatments, in the night I fell off the bed because my legs were numb, was super dizzy, blurred vision, flu like symptoms. I put vaseline around the area so the surrounding skin isnt touched with this cream, but the raw swollen skin has gone to the size of a quarter when it was the amount of a ball point pen area that I was treating, I stopped using it after 10 days (8 times used) lil wart is still there but smaller"

MixedReviewOfThisMedication April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I have used this medicine to treat presumed basal cell carcinoma as well as other areas of skin that appear to be sun-damaged and am absolutely thrilled with the result. Yes, during treatment, the area of skin being treated can look bad but it has been worth it. I just finished a treatment on my forehead and left ear and now have perfect new, smooth skin after the scabs feel off. I usually under-go a 4 week regime with 5 days on and 2 days off. I've experienced weepy treatment areas and sometimes a slight tingling sensation around affected areas but nothing worse.This drug has truly saved me a lot of money and pain as I used to have to go through cut and stitch treatments."

Chas Chas (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I was percribed Zyclara about 3 weeks ago instruced to put it on once daily for 8 weeks. Look, I'm not going to sugar coat it. This cream is meant to take action and get rid of your unwanted skin virus symptoms so yes, there will be tingles, maybe some burning and definitely some soreness but I would do it again in a heartbeat. A little goes a long way, and for me it takes a couple days to show results but the key is it does! I take "heal days" if needed and take care of myself with eating right and taking muilti vitamins. I went to weekly freezing prior which eventually worked but came back but so far with the cream no returns! One more stubburn one to go! Don't be scared to try it and don't give up. Your life is not over :)"

It's Going To Be Okay (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Absolutely awful. Reaction to this was so bad I was told I almost 100% had herpes (due to Aldara causing severe blisters). Made it 3 days with this medicine and started to have severe vaginal swelling to the point where I had to sit in a warm bath to urinate or dump a water bottle on myself while going (TMI). Stabbing pains, nausea, could not sleep, rawness like I never knew was possible, missed a week of work because I could not even move after I had stopped using it. Took about 2 weeks, 4 doctors appointments, countless tests for various STIs/STDs for my body to fully recover."

2423423424 April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Got 3 tiny bumps size of grain of sand at opening of vagina 20 months ago, thought they were ingrown hairs, pinched off w tweezers. Month later had a lot of vigorous sex w bf, next day had about 6 bumps in same place. Went to clinic immedediately, Dr said they were genital warts caused by a form of HPV, I was devastated. Went to Gyno 3 wks later, warts spread, about 20, he biopsied a cluster. Tried apple cidar vinegar, it was very painful. Biopsy came back neg for HPV, so went to Dermitologist. He said warts too, prescribed Imiquimod 5% cream. Used it Mon Wed Fri. Seemed like it took forever & got welts on perineum, but warts were gone by 5 wks. Got 1 bump 3 months later, used cream. Haven't had any for 13 months, but my bf just developed them"

Arethereanyleft (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I have been using this cream for BCC 3 weeks, with 1 week left. Apply 3 nights a week. I was not sure what to expect. Using it on my face and neck initially applied over entire area until the red areas popped out. Now I'm just using it on the inflamed areas. Almost entire face is covered in red sores. Very painful, burning, and itchy. Also developed cough and fatigue. Staff at doctor office said this was normal. I guess if it has a lot of inflammation it means it is working. I have wanted to stop the treatment but trying to stick with it as I'm close to the end. I prefer to not have any additional surgeries. I rarely leave the house, this looks like a contagious disease."

Anonymous March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "On a twice a week treatment plan. Initial redness appeared from in about a week, then the cancer sites began to show ulceration. I'm about two months into treatment, and the cancerous and/or keritoses are almost gone. On a side note, I had areas that lit up I didn't recognize as abnormal, but my immune system did. Used this med about three years ago with similar results. Lastly, don't discard the opened pack if you don't use it all. My Doctor said to open it with a tiny nick in the corner and use only what you need and save the rest for the next treatment. As for the return of my lesions, they are in different spots than before. This med will not cure changes before they exist."

Sunworn (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "On week 5 of 6 with application 5 times per week. Coverage area runs from cheek to cheek and the entire nose. The area did burn initially but that has stopped. Dizziness and flu like synptoms persisted.My face looks terrible but my MD did say it would get worse before getting better. The area is severely scabbed, crusted, red, irritated and looks like a giant size deep scab. The size of the area is increasing and that is a huge concern.Today my eye lids are swollen and bags of fluid appeared under the eyes. After 5 of 6 weeks treatment had to discontinue use. Will see what my options are next week at my MD appointment. Sad to have gotten this far with seemingly little benefit."

Gma Sue (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm fighting HPV for a year and half now Aldara works but it takes long time be patient it might burn you some times make sure the area is clean and dry avoid using tea tree oil or ACV while on Aldara therapy"

max877 March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I never leave reviews but I wanted to for anyone else in my spot and wants sound advice. I had about 10-12 small warts above my penis (pubic hair area) and 3 on the shaft. For the "larger" warts on the shaft, I received liquid nitrogen treatment which did not work well - one returned after a month and it had no impact on the other two. I was also prescribed aldara to be used 5x weekly (M-F). Let me be clear - FOR THE FIRST 6 WEEKS IT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I was let down but continued to apply it diligently. Finally, on week 7 things started getting red and inflamed. This lasted for 2-3 weeks at which point things began healing and now look FLAWLESS. Highly recommended, but BE PATIENT"

Be Patient (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I slept with the wrong person multiple times. I've been dealing with warts close to a year now around my anus. When I first noticed them I thought they were Hemorrhoids, and bought over the counter medication for Hemorrhoids. After the clusters getting bigger and more painful I finally go to a doctor to get the checked out, they tell me it's warts and that I have HPV. I get prescribed Imiquimod, and start using it religiously (While following instructions). I've been on it for two months, no positive results. None have gone away, They haven't shrunk. All I have is a Red, Raw, Irritated anus. I got a random fever yesterday after applying and I'm done with it. Going to try another approach. Worst medication I've ever used."

StupidChoices (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I have had HPV for a couple years now and I'm 21 now, My GW signs didn't show til I turned 19 I was dealing with pain from my gastro reflux disease feeling hopeless & being embarrassed to go to the doctor I finally went and she apply some cream two times I came to see her and it did nothing and I was hopeless embarrassed of my warts bc they have raised and are big and I went to her and asked to cut them off but now I see that if I would have researched more I wouldn't be going thru the pain of getting them poked with burning numbing meds that don't work fully bc I could feel her cutting them it was horrible I damn near don't wanna have sex anymore bc of this surgery smh I should have just used Imiquimod and now its been 5days I'm healing good"

Always Research b4 over thinki (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "So I want to help everyone out there who hates the way these things look. So the other day I was looking in a handheld mirror at my warts and started to scratch them. I realized I couldn't feel it when I was touching the wart its self! I then proceeded to pinch off as much of the wart I could grab. It bled a little but I didn't feel any pain! I let the cut heal for a few days then used the cream once and I've never seen better results! THE WHOLE WART IS GONE! I DIDN'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR IT TO SHRINK IN SIZE! Now I do not know if this is safe or recommended but I figured if I went to get them surgically removed then they'd basically do the same thing but with a scalpel and charge me a lot! Good luck and let me know if this works for anyone!"

ConCon2012 February 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm a 27 year old male. I've had HPV for maybe 5 years from what I know. My ex gf gave it to me. I have two small genital warts on the area between my scrotum and anus. It's such a weird area. The area is itchy and rashing. My doctor treated it early on but it was temporary. He just prescribed me with Zyclara. I just applied my first dose and within not even a minute after crawling into bed, I started to feel weird. I knew something was wrong. I got insanely nauseous, my heart started beating fast like I was anxious, I started sweating and I almost passed out. I was freaking out. I got up and looked in the mirror and I was pale white. My eyes were dialated and I had trouble breathing. I wiped it off and now I'm here writing this."

imFreakingOutRightNow (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017