User Reviews for Imiquimod

Also known as: Aldara, Zyclara

Learn more about Imiquimod.

Condylomata Acuminata 4 reviews 6 medications

Basal Cell Carcinoma 34 reviews 6 medications

6.9
Summary of Imiquimod reviews 199 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Imiquimod

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "On a twice a week treatment plan. Initial redness appeared from in about a week, then the cancer sites began to show ulceration. I'm about two months into treatment, and the cancerous and/or keritoses are almost gone. On a side note, I had areas that lit up I didn't recognize as abnormal, but my immune system did. Used this med about three years ago with similar results. Lastly, don't discard the opened pack if you don't use it all. My Doctor said to open it with a tiny nick in the corner and use only what you need and save the rest for the next treatment. As for the return of my lesions, they are in different spots than before. This med will not cure changes before they exist."

Sunworn (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "On week 5 of 6 with application 5 times per week. Coverage area runs from cheek to cheek and the entire nose. The area did burn initially but that has stopped. Dizziness and flu like synptoms persisted.My face looks terrible but my MD did say it would get worse before getting better. The area is severely scabbed, crusted, red, irritated and looks like a giant size deep scab. The size of the area is increasing and that is a huge concern.Today my eye lids are swollen and bags of fluid appeared under the eyes. After 5 of 6 weeks treatment had to discontinue use. Will see what my options are next week at my MD appointment. Sad to have gotten this far with seemingly little benefit."

Gma Sue (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm fighting HPV for a year and half now Aldara works but it takes long time be patient it might burn you some times make sure the area is clean and dry avoid using tea tree oil or ACV while on Aldara therapy"

max877 March 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I never leave reviews but I wanted to for anyone else in my spot and wants sound advice. I had about 10-12 small warts above my penis (pubic hair area) and 3 on the shaft. For the "larger" warts on the shaft, I received liquid nitrogen treatment which did not work well - one returned after a month and it had no impact on the other two. I was also prescribed aldara to be used 5x weekly (M-F). Let me be clear - FOR THE FIRST 6 WEEKS IT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I was let down but continued to apply it diligently. Finally, on week 7 things started getting red and inflamed. This lasted for 2-3 weeks at which point things began healing and now look FLAWLESS. Highly recommended, but BE PATIENT"

Be Patient (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I slept with the wrong person multiple times. I've been dealing with warts close to a year now around my anus. When I first noticed them I thought they were Hemorrhoids, and bought over the counter medication for Hemorrhoids. After the clusters getting bigger and more painful I finally go to a doctor to get the checked out, they tell me it's warts and that I have HPV. I get prescribed Imiquimod, and start using it religiously (While following instructions). I've been on it for two months, no positive results. None have gone away, They haven't shrunk. All I have is a Red, Raw, Irritated anus. I got a random fever yesterday after applying and I'm done with it. Going to try another approach. Worst medication I've ever used."

StupidChoices (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I have had HPV for a couple years now and I'm 21 now, My GW signs didn't show til I turned 19 I was dealing with pain from my gastro reflux disease feeling hopeless & being embarrassed to go to the doctor I finally went and she apply some cream two times I came to see her and it did nothing and I was hopeless embarrassed of my warts bc they have raised and are big and I went to her and asked to cut them off but now I see that if I would have researched more I wouldn't be going thru the pain of getting them poked with burning numbing meds that don't work fully bc I could feel her cutting them it was horrible I damn near don't wanna have sex anymore bc of this surgery smh I should have just used Imiquimod and now its been 5days I'm healing good"

Always Research b4 over thinki (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "So I want to help everyone out there who hates the way these things look. So the other day I was looking in a handheld mirror at my warts and started to scratch them. I realized I couldn't feel it when I was touching the wart its self! I then proceeded to pinch off as much of the wart I could grab. It bled a little but I didn't feel any pain! I let the cut heal for a few days then used the cream once and I've never seen better results! THE WHOLE WART IS GONE! I DIDN'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR IT TO SHRINK IN SIZE! Now I do not know if this is safe or recommended but I figured if I went to get them surgically removed then they'd basically do the same thing but with a scalpel and charge me a lot! Good luck and let me know if this works for anyone!"

ConCon2012 February 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm a 27 year old male. I've had HPV for maybe 5 years from what I know. My ex gf gave it to me. I have two small genital warts on the area between my scrotum and anus. It's such a weird area. The area is itchy and rashing. My doctor treated it early on but it was temporary. He just prescribed me with Zyclara. I just applied my first dose and within not even a minute after crawling into bed, I started to feel weird. I knew something was wrong. I got insanely nauseous, my heart started beating fast like I was anxious, I started sweating and I almost passed out. I was freaking out. I got up and looked in the mirror and I was pale white. My eyes were dialated and I had trouble breathing. I wiped it off and now I'm here writing this."

imFreakingOutRightNow (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "I had a wart on my penis which the doctor froze and it disappeared. Later I noticed I had some warts around my anus. I went to the doctor, mortified, and was prescribed with Aldara cream. I used it as prescribed, three times and noticed some pain after the first week but didn't think much of it. I went back to the doctor for a check up and I was prescribed further Aldara cream. The pain after was agony. I had headaches and chemical burning to the point that I couldn't sit down for days. I stopped using the cream and bathed in Epsom Salt and used Aloe Vera. Subsequently I have continued to bathe in Epsom Salt and used Tee-Tree Oil. Although slow it works. Do NOT use Aldara Cream if you can avoid it, natural remedies are better and no pain!"

Horrific Pain February 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Have dealt with gw at base of and on penis shaft for over 6 yrs. First had surgical excision but soon returned. Used otc wart freezing many times with minimal success and actual rebound wart growth. Finally was prescribed Imiquod 3 times weekly. Dramatic results. Started showing "activity"..shiny, liquid-like appearance on warts within a week. After 5 weeks the 2 large masses are almost completely gone. Normal surrounding skin does get red and inflamed, but quickly heals. (I also use selenium 200mcg daily and cimetidine 800mg 2daily). Keys are in patience and meticulous, careful, application. Apply only to lesions. Apply after gently washing area. Do not over apply, do rub in and then gently clean surrounding tissue with damp q-tip. Works"

Byker (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "WORKS FAST! You can see changes already in three days after 1 sachet! I'm amazed by this product! But I suggest once everything is cleared up already, get HPV injected so you're protected!"

Cat1203 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm 38 yr / male. To all, if the imiquomod/aldara doesn't work for you, ask your dermatologist for an injection of candida directly into the wart. You can Google research on it. You do it once every 3 wks. The research on it says inject one wart per visit as its known to help clear surrounding areas. A lot of dermatologists won't be familiar with this but call several until you find one that is & ask the nurse over the phone if they do it before you waste your time going. Try a doctor affiliated with a university, as they try more experimental stuff. Again, it seems called Candida. Good luck. Also, when leaving a comment on here, would be helpful if people listed their age & sex."

38 male (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "not fun"

Kenny S January 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "It's been almost one month since using this medication and it is slowly but surely working. My lifted GW is now almost flat. My other small barely raised GW's are hardly visible. Unfortunately, my warts are on my clitoris which I haven't seen or heard anyone elses having warts in this area. My clitoris and skin surrounding the area is pretty sensitive, red, and raw. Yes, you may get some "burning lesions " most likely a chemical burn. Do not glob this medication on. Just a thin layer will do. I learned that the hard way. I still get some oozing from the lesions kinda looks like pus, but this is normal with this cream. I can't wait to see the end!"

aqw (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I've been using for about 2 weeks now, I have warts right by vaginally entry and surrounding lips. First week I didn't really feel much difference but now I am in SO much pain from the burning! Going to the toilet and sitting down without screaming in pain are my biggest challenges...rightly or wrongly I've read other' stories, as well as a dermatologist article who all infer burning means it's working (for those that don't know it is a chemical burn cream, that's how it gets rid of the warts). I haven't stopped using it as the warts are going, but if anyone can offer ways to relive the pain and confirm I'm still going to have a fully functioning vagina at the end of this (laugh, you have to with these things!) I'd be super grateful!..."

Girl.in.Pain.UK January 11, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "My doctor used liquid nitrogen oh my genital warts. And prescribed me the cream to use at home and I used it the same night thinking that it would make them go away faster. I burn myself and weeks later in the same area I've broken out with these canker sore looking blisters And I'm freaking out hoping that they're not herpes. I don't believe I've been exposed to it. But now these canker sore things are pretty much in the same place the genital warts were removed, They're starting to go away now I have no discharge, they're not on the inside of my vagina. Could this be the results of burning myself with cream? somebody help."

D.M.S January 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I just started applying the cream tonight and I'm feeling hopeless because I don't feel anything down there. I was hoping that it would burn a little just like how it burns when the doctor applies the wart removal acid. I really hope this is going to work because this has been really frustrating and emotional for me. It started with just one wart outside my vagina and all of a sudden I now have a cluster of warts around my anal area (I don't have anal sex all)"

WhyMe? January 4, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I got anal warts this year. I was given 5% imiquimod cream and told to apply it 3x a week. I was a little bit afraid based on the reviews because people said it hurt very badly after a few applications. This did not happen to me after 4 applications, but also i didn't notice any progress. I did some research, and learned that imiquimod does not penetrate the skin all that well , and found an article showing success rate with imiquimod increased when the skin was "permeabilized" with salicylic acid. I started treating on Tu/Th with salicylic acid and then applying imiquimod M/W/F. It hurt like hell but the warts were gone in 2 weeks. Not for the faint of heart, but worked quickly."

Hang in There (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "So, I have to admit I was really surprised when I was diagnosed with HPV. I had had two sexual partners, kept up to date on regular Pap tests, and even received the most recent vaccines against the virus (gardasil 9). But it happened. I found one abnormality inside my vaginal opening. It didn't even really look like a wart, it was so small. But. It wasn't there before. So I went in to see my doctor, and yep. Low-risk Hpv. Prescribed aldara. I was told to apply it daily for one week. After the first four applications it was almost gone! Very happy. But. Because of the location, it chemically burned my skin in nearby areas. Very painful. But it works! I also eat healthy and take vitamins. My boyfriend was incredibly supportive as well."

HappyHiker (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aldara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: "Have used this product several times over recent years used for facial and scalp keratosis. It definitely works well although skin conditions seem to return after a year or two. Treatment involves application of ointment on week days (i.e. five days, with weekends off) for four weeks. The major side effect I have noticed is flu-like symptoms (coldness and body aches) and tiredness. The several times this has happened I have taken a day's break from treatment before resuming."

Tapper2 December 2, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "About a year and a half ago I went into the doctor for what they called a uti, that then later was a yeast infection. this went on for months until I couldn't take it. They finally tested me which later was actually chlamydia. Finally a real diagnosis. During this time my vagina was very swollen and I had a spot that's been there for some time. I thought it was a scar as it had never changed but during the swollen period this spot seemed bigger. I've asked several doctors about this spot over time. None were worried. The other day I went into the doctor to have to have it checked she first told me it was a cyst. Now she says it is Genital warts. I went to get a second opinion they confirmed. I've had diarrhea and some upper respiratory problems"

Medicine these days (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Imiquimod is amazing! I found out I had HPV last week and I had one small wart plus some textured ares where it seemed as if more were forming. I was prescribed Imiquimod and one week later all of the texture is gone, the area is smooth and the one raised small wart is pretty much gone! I had no side effects other than a little sensitivity and "rawness" on the site of application but totally worth it. However, I have been taking very good care of myself: eating well, and getting sufficient rest so I can boost my immune system to help fight the outbreak. It's nice to feel back to "normal"."

NordieGirl (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Found two warts around my Vagina and thought they were cysts and kept putting off going to the doctors then I eventually went, the doctor refer me to health sexual clinic, told me it was genital warts and gave me imiquimod cream to apply three times a week for a month. I apply it on for the third time and it getting to the point where it's so sore, I can't barely touch it and dread going to the toilet because it so sore, after reading your experience and I'm thinking oops I'm spreading it everywhere and meant to 'tap' it on the wart. So I give that a go and hopefully will improve. Also was wondering guys do you reckon I can use home remedies cream to apply the vagina as its so sore and burning! Or will it disrupt the treatment? HELP"

Doglady23 (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "The Only thing that relieves the pain from this cream 100% is prescription lidocaine ointment usp 5% it only takes a small amount and works within seconds! I can finially sit and walk without cringing. It last about 5 hrs. I don't see why drs don't automatically give you this when the aldara is filled !"

found pain relief for burn (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Have been using for almost a month. Have had about a dozen dark brown, non raised warts around the base of penis and pubic mound for about a year. . Anyways they are slowly lightening in color and seem to be going away. Even being moderately careful Ive had a few sores and severe itching(nothing too horrible). Make sure to use a q tip and apply a ball point pen tip sized amount to the wart only. Even then you can still get some cream on healthy skin and cause small sores. I am confident that this cream will eventually kill all the warts slowly but surely. Dont be afraid of the cream, just respect it. I believe all the people having horrible side effects put entirely too much on. This isn't a medication that you just slather on!!!"

Caligulaz (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2016