User Reviews for Imiquimod

Keratosis

Molluscum Contagiosum

Summary of Imiquimod reviews 7.1 264 reviews

Reviews for Imiquimod

For Keratosis: "My dermatologist prescribed imiquimod (very $$) for my chronically peeling skin & squamous cell cancer in situ on my nose. I used it as directed for 8 days when I noticed a large, weeping sore worsening on my lip and torn mucous membranes inside my lip. I was told this was not related to the drug. But after doing research and seeing identical pictures online, I stopped applying the drug. My symptoms continued for 2 weeks- excruciating pain, swelling, cracking and bleeding lips, large ulcers inside my mouth - it was horrible. I also became anxious, agitated, and kept crying out of the blue- not at all like myself. Using this drug was a big mistake. And I still have my original peeling nose."

Suzie (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2018

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: "My dr prescribed Zyclara for use on some areas on my face she was concerned about. Zyclara gets rids if the cancerous cells. After the first few days it started working, oh boy! To be honest I looked like a drug addict, my face was red with blisters, open sores and itchy. The only side effect I experienced was a mild/moderate headache so the process was very tolerable for me. Second round and very little disruption of the skin. Before you start the treatment you may want to check your calendar for any upcoming events such as weddings, reunions, parties and such because your skin will look terrible during treatment. The initial treatment was awful but the end result and the way my skin looks is well worth the discomfort. Some insurance plans do not cover the cost of Zyclara because it’s extremely expensive. Ask your Dr for coupons or look online as most insurance companies won’t cover it."

KC (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "Aldara works wonders. I used it as prescribed and with in 2 weeks, most of the really large lesions were gone! The only downside to Aldara is the side effects. The itching, swelling and redness around the affected area was almost unbearable! I’m on my 5th week of treatment and honestly, I can’t wait for this to be over"

Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2018

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Laying in bed, up at night because of this medication. Was originally using Apple cider vinegar to treat the few warts I had but the process was slow and wasn't sure if it was working. I went to my doctor and prescribed this medication with zero information given to me on the possible side effects. I literally had to research them myself. Week 1 was good but after week 1 I started feeling pain around urethra opening but it wasn't that bad so I didn't think much of it. I continued taking the medication but after 2 weeks I had to stop. I had developed blisters, swelling, and redness. My warts were starting to fade away up until that point but I couldn't continue because of the pain. My vagina feels like a war zone. I just want it to clear up so I can go back to my normal life."

sue (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "Been using to treat HPV vaginally 3 times a week for 6 weeks with a few short breaks needed in between for discomfort to ease. Developed fluid in my ears immediately, but I cannot be sure whether or not it's a side effect from the cream. Have experienced occasional elevated temps as high as 103+ and vertigo. Also extreme fatigue. This is all very unlike me. The fluid in my ear doesn't seem to want to go away after 2 different antibiotics and chiropractic adjustments to allow the fluid to drain."

sue (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "I am on to my second week now of aldara. My first 2 days I applied way to much and was in severe agony was waking up in tears with pain - burning, itching, hurt to walk and sit down also when urinating. I took a 3 day break and have been applying a lot less now and comes with a lot less pain, so anyone starting treatment you do not need much product!!! I learned that the hard way. Gets very itchy and uncomfortable but nothing unbearable like the first 2 days. I have been having other bad side effects - horrible dreams, chills, headaches, trouble sleeping and general aches and pains but so far so good as the Aldara seems to be working so I am looking forward to to my next couple of weeks of treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

For Human Papilloma Virus: "This cream worked within a week and I was quite surprised the bump just dropped right off. I just had a genital wart the size of a pin. I did not read the instructions and lathered it on and creams leaked to vagina and burns so much to urinate and walk SO I would advise follow the directions apply directly to the bump and rub in wash it off in 6-10 hours I did not do this at all. But this worked well though thanks"

Mimi (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod) for Condylomata Acuminata: "I used aldara for 6 weeks it done nothing but spread the infection and caused severe pain I would not recommend this at all"

anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

Zyclara (imiquimod) for Keratosis: "Zyclara? My new Ketogenic lifestyle? Summer break? Something is making my skin glow and look youthful. I still have the spots on my face that the Zyclara is supposed to be healing. Wonder if it is working. I have been using it for a full week now."

Juju Bee (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I never write reviews for ANYTHING, however I felt it that necessary to save someone from making a bad decision. Before I took this cream I went to another website with mixed results for the use of the cream. Despite seeing bad reviews I figured I was healthy so I proceeded to use the medication. Please anyone considering to use this medication for small genital warts (GW) .... DON’T! It literally activated the herpes simplex 2 virus that I wasn't aware I had lying dormant in my system. I regret not going to my usual GYN doctor because he said he never prescribes this medication because of the horrible side effects. he said little GW such as those go away on there own or could be taken care of through over the counter medication, which is way less harmful. If this review stops one person from making the life altering mistake I have made I’ve done me job. Please do your research and do not take this medication."

Faith (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Went into the local PP for treatment of a couple of vaginal and anal warts. They treated them with acid and then wrote me a prescription for Imiquimod if I needed further treatment. They said to allow my skin to heal up for one week before I try the Imiquimod, but then I should use it three times a week at bedtime, then take it off in the morning. I only made it through two applications, and I managed to get nearly every side effect possible. Fever, weakness, malaise, itching, swelling, redness, discharge, open sores, skin cracking open and bleeding, intensely painful urination, and so much pus from the sores... I stopped treatment 4 days ago, and I swear it's only getting worse. I'm uninsured as hell and paid for this all out of pocket, and I'm very reluctant to try to go back into PP just for them to tell me that I'm going to have to ride this out. Honestly don't think this "medicine" should ever be prescribed for treatment anywhere near anyone's genitals."

Red April 24, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I had a small dot on my chest and a penny sized one on my side. The dermatology consultant told me to use aldara on the two areas but only once daily for five days then two day break. Leave on for 8 hours then wash off. She then said she would see me in 4 months. I was a bit surprised she didn't want to see me during treatment but thought the aldara must be good at doing its job. How wrong could I be. Within one week of using it the rest of my chest erupted into large red sores with lots of little red spots all over it. I didn't know if this was normal as nothing much was discussed at appointment. I continued to use the cream but everyday was more and more horrific. The sores were blistering and bleeding and oozing fluid not to mention red raw and itchy. By the end of the second week I could not tolerate any more so I stopped using it and tried to contact the dermatology department which wasn't interested unless I had another referral from my doctor."

Lisa April 13, 2018

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Treating Bacal Cell Carcinoma. 7 weeks in, 3 weeks to go 9 spots being treated with 2 quite large (3" x 3"). I'm treating about 25 square inches. 3 spots did not react at all or very minimally even though they were biopsied and confirmed bcc. 3 of the spots reacted in a big way, causing scabbing, oozing, flaking, big growth of affected area, burning/severe itching... Side effects. Not sure if it is amount of surface area or the type of ailment that affects this. Not been able to sleep through the night for 7 weeks - just wake up after 2 or 3 hours, in some cases I'm also distracted by the itching/burning, in other cases I'm just awake, drowzy and unable to sleep. Had a headache almost the entire treatment, ranging from barely noticable to distracting but not terrible. "flu like symptoms" almost the entire treatment. I feel achy in my legs/hips and general feeling of sickness that leaves unable to think properly or interact normally. Also had some fever/night sweats."

Grant Par April 10, 2018

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I've been prescribed this cream and was using it for a week or two before I noticed red sores developing around the treatment area. Did nothing to treat or otherwise suppress warts. I decided to discontinue use due to its side effects. A year later still having a wart that is stubborn I decided to give aldara another go. Its only been a week or so but its already damaging the surrounding skin. Will have to stop using it again as it shows no improvement at all. Great money grab from the poor people struggling to fight this virus. One would think that a cream that costs several hundred dollars would at least work."

Makes skin worse (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod) for Molluscum Contagiosum: "Had HORRIFIC effects from taking this. I'm currently in the process of getting a diagnosis for Small Fiber Neuropathy because of this drug. I was in the best health of my life before I started applying it. Within two days, I had burning sensations all over my body. It caused a systemic reaction. I discontinued immediately, but over two years later, I still get painful burning all over my body. Google Aldara and "small fiber neuropathy" and you will see I am not the only one who had this condition triggered by Aldara/imiquimod. This drug is a powerful immuno-modulator that triggers multiple types of immune-mediated cells in the body and causes the body to attack itself. People are getting sick from it and their claims are not being addressed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I had a BCC on my ear, and had it treated with radiotheraphy. It came back. I then had it cut out with a skin graft. It came back. I then treated it with Aldara, but for not as long as recommended, and that worked for about 6 months, but it returned about a year ago. The Dr. indicated that the next step was surgery to remove part of my ear. I gave it another good dose for the full recommended term with Aldara, and it/s been clear since then. I believe I should have used Aldara from the start, and avoided radiotheraphy and an operation, plus a lot of cost. I've had no side effects, and have used it on other BCC with no problems."

R James (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2018

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I had 2 warts 10 plus years ago on my groin (I am 42 female). Doctor froze them off, never got another one until about a year ago. I am questioning if it’s even a wart because it’s been there so long after using different methods to try to rid it. Then noticed 2 more little ones a month or so ago so I called my doc. Doc put me on imiquimod 5% three times weekly. Being so anxious to get rid of them I came home and put the whole packet on. And then I read about it.....oh boy. I am so dumb. Afraid to go to bed for fear of what I would wake up to. But...there’s nothing. No burn, no red, no itch, no nothing. Used it twice now, on my hands and down below. Not a single side effect. Now I’m worried it’s not working. I’m so disgusted with myself. :("

IsThisStuffWorking March 13, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I had BCC on my nose. I had been misdiagosed and by the time a biopsy was done the surgeon said he could do MOHs surgery but it would require removing a thumb nail size portion of my nose, using parts of my ear to reconstruct the nose and also skin grafts. He offered the Aldara option to shrink the tumor. He said that the cream would turn my nose red. I applied the Aldara cream every night for 6 weeks as directed. It was absolutely far more than turning my nose red. Fatigue, headaches, bright red nose that looked as though my nose was one big cold sore. I went into quarantine for six weeks. At times I felt I could not continue. Some how I did. If wish there were a place to post pictures of my nose during Aldara treatment. I went back for the MOH's surgery. It only took two scrapings to remove cancer. I would choose the Aldara option should I ever be given the choice. It was miserable but I would still take it over the surgery option."

Shirley Go-t-a March 13, 2018

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "After my first 3 weeks & follow up doc has me on second lot of 3 weeks (5 days on, 2 off.) My BCC has a large raised scab & is red/raw. But, thankfully, it's on top of my head so it isn't noticeable. The main side effects for me have been "tasting" the creme inside my mouth (yuk). I've also experienced fatigue and sort of a "blue" feeling. Since the scab is very raised I try to avoid brushing my hair much. I've cleaned the wound area with cotton, peroxide and alcohol. No stinging or pain. I attribute that to the fact the scab looks and feels like a helmet. But I'm happy my immune system is working well with the creme. And I will take this process over a bald spot at the top of my head. I take comfort in that I am taking part in the process of my healing. I now wear hats religiously in the sun. If something on your head feels like a pimple and doesn't go away see your dermatologist ASAP. I feel very thankful that this spot was a BCC and not a melanoma. Good luck on your healing journey."

Lisa March 11, 2018

For Human Papilloma Virus: "My MD prescribed generic Aldera 5% 3x a week for 16 weeks. Along with a herbal OTC regimen of 4000 iu of D3 daily, Vit C 1000mg daily, Olive Leaf 18% capsule 430mg daily, Black Elderberry 350mg daily, Echinacea 760mg daily and anti stress vitamin (brand name: stress tabs) 2 daily. After my 2nd treatment of my 3rd week, my severe HPV outbreak has completely healed. Aldara 5% is extremely potent and burns really bad upon application to the male groin area. From my experience, ease your way into using Aldara 5%. Start with just 1/4 of the single-use packet on your first couple of applications and slowly ease in more of the cream with each consecutive use. At the beginning of my 3rd week of treatment, the burning sensation was no longer present with use. I will continue to use for a few more weeks. The Rx cost me $75. for 12 pks with high deductible insurance."

Ace1982 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2018

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I’m a 18 year old girl who got diagnosed with low risk HPV 5 days ago. After a lot of crying and screaming at my ex boyfriend who infected me, I’m slowly getting used to the idea of having genital warts. I am unsure how many I have but they are located near my vaginal opening and are so swollen to the point it is swollen shut. My warts are extremely itchy and i apply pressure to sooth the itching momentarily but of course it doesn’t help long. The first night I applied this cream, it wasn’t too bad but the next day it burned a lot. The following day, when I did not apply the medication, there was barely any itching and the warts appeared to be going down! Yet , that night (Thursday night) I applied the medication and Friday it burned and itched ALL day. I work in a restaurant and walk around nonstop for 4-6 hours each shift and the warts got so irritated to the point I started crying and had to leave early. This morning it feels better and the bumps seem to be drying out."

Anonymous March 3, 2018

For Human Papilloma Virus: "So I found out I had anogenital warts about two weeks ago and was given prescription about a week ago. I was expecting to have to use the cream for the full 4 weeks that my gyno prescribed me but I already look and feel completely clear. This product was very effective for me. The first few days there was an intense irritation/itchiness. I was tempted to stop putting using it cause I was so itchy! But my boyfriend suggested I finish out the week before stopping/contacting my gyno and I’m glad I did!"

Tia February 27, 2018

For Human Papilloma Virus: "48 years old, married 15 years and a mom. Never had this and all of a sudden noticed 2 GW. Neither of us has been outside our marriage and was told this could of been in one of our systems for years. Used this medication, feel burn , really red and swollen, but may have applied to much. Will use less and give another week to see any difference. This has really turned me off from sex!! HATE This."

Notsohappywomen (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2018

For Keratosis: "I am on day 11 and had to call "uncle" last night. My doc had different instructions than what I am reading. It was for everyday for 2 weeks. At day 7 he saw me and stated that I look like I may be one that has the more severe reaction. He stated for me to try and make it to the two weeks but if not, just as long as I could stand it. It was for a lesion on my nose. I look like Rudolf, yes. It is very red, swollen and blistery yes. The skin is also thickening and I look horrendous. I do have the flu like symptoms and the very swollen glands, but what is making me stop is I started getting that histamine reaction you get when you are having an allergic reaction and everything got super itchy. With my nose already super swollen and my neck swollen from the swollen glands I am not going to take any chances with breathing difficulty. My hope is that I have done enough treatment for this to work. If it works, it will be worth it, but I will be very reluctant if I have to do it again."

CDW687 February 10, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod) for Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Easy to apply. The medication journal makes it easy to track usage and clearly defines “break days”. This is week four. Skin is red and irritated, however very bearable and annoying rather than painful. Other side effects are pretty hard to tolerate. Fatigue is beyond belief and at times debilitating yet unable to sleep. Nausea all the time. Headache at times. Perception seems to be a little distorted. Difficult to tell how much the light headed feeling is coming from fatigue. Joints ache. A little weight gain. I’m irritable due to unbearable fatigue. Dreams at night are emotionally overwhelming and vivid. The effect of alcohol is extremely magnified. I call these my little bottles of hell. That’s how they make me feel. That said, it seems to be working and I’m very interested in seeing the results. Given a choice at this stage, excision would be my preference. That might change by the time I finish treatment. However it would take a lot to endure this again."

AASSBB January 30, 2018