User Reviews for Imiquimod

Also known as: Aldara, Zyclara

Learn more about Imiquimod.

Condylomata Acuminata 4 reviews 6 medications

7.2
Basal Cell Carcinoma 38 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Imiquimod reviews 208 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Imiquimod

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I used the off brand because it ended up only $10 with my insurance. First of all, my doctor told me not to worry about getting every spot. The meds help your body fight it off so it is going to clear it up everywhere despite you not getting every bump. My first sign of HPV warts was 4 months ago. A couple bumps turned into several. I started using this cream and within two weeks, I now only have 2 bumps and they keep getting smaller after each use. Important!!! Do not over-use the cream. When I did I got aches all over my body and it was so bad I needed Advil. But it only happened the day after I used it and only was bad for about a week. The worst day was after I applied the cream twice. Only apply once and very sparingly. It does work!!"

Used off brand (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I am finishing week 2 of 4, treating bcc on my chest and shoulders. My chest is bright red with large scabs the covers the majority of my chest. It constantly burns and itches. As of the completion of the first week I started experiencing headaches, chills, body aches, the occasional nausea and dizziness. Anti inflammatory and hot baths help ease the aches. Honestly if it were not such a large area I would prefer doc to cut and stitch like he has done many times before. I am going to try to stick out these last two weeks...."

Bc1100 April 30, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "Had a BCC on my leg and used the cream successfully for 6 weeks. Cancer is gone. Starting it again for one above my mouth and was instructed to spread the cream across entire area between nose and mouth. 6-7 spots lit up with sores including one on lower lip. But the real problem for me is that I got the side effect of a cough deep in my lungs. On antibiotics for that which isn't working because I guess it's not a bacterial infection. I completed 3 of the 6 weeks and am going to stop to get rid of the cough before it develops into pneumonia."

Mich2 April 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I have a low-risk strain of HPV. I noticed 8 years ago a teeny tiny little white spot, size of a point of a ball point pen near the opening of my vagina. Never showed up in any STI tests, never passed to my partner of 7 years, had it even before I met him. 2 acid treatments didn't do the trick, was prescribed this. After 3 treatments, in the night I fell off the bed because my legs were numb, was super dizzy, blurred vision, flu like symptoms. I put vaseline around the area so the surrounding skin isnt touched with this cream, but the raw swollen skin has gone to the size of a quarter when it was the amount of a ball point pen area that I was treating, I stopped using it after 10 days (8 times used) lil wart is still there but smaller"

MixedReviewOfThisMedication April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I have used this medicine to treat presumed basal cell carcinoma as well as other areas of skin that appear to be sun-damaged and am absolutely thrilled with the result. Yes, during treatment, the area of skin being treated can look bad but it has been worth it. I just finished a treatment on my forehead and left ear and now have perfect new, smooth skin after the scabs feel off. I usually under-go a 4 week regime with 5 days on and 2 days off. I've experienced weepy treatment areas and sometimes a slight tingling sensation around affected areas but nothing worse.This drug has truly saved me a lot of money and pain as I used to have to go through cut and stitch treatments."

Chas Chas (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I was percribed Zyclara about 3 weeks ago instruced to put it on once daily for 8 weeks. Look, I'm not going to sugar coat it. This cream is meant to take action and get rid of your unwanted skin virus symptoms so yes, there will be tingles, maybe some burning and definitely some soreness but I would do it again in a heartbeat. A little goes a long way, and for me it takes a couple days to show results but the key is it does! I take "heal days" if needed and take care of myself with eating right and taking muilti vitamins. I went to weekly freezing prior which eventually worked but came back but so far with the cream no returns! One more stubburn one to go! Don't be scared to try it and don't give up. Your life is not over :)"

It's Going To Be Okay (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Absolutely awful. Reaction to this was so bad I was told I almost 100% had herpes (due to Aldara causing severe blisters). Made it 3 days with this medicine and started to have severe vaginal swelling to the point where I had to sit in a warm bath to urinate or dump a water bottle on myself while going (TMI). Stabbing pains, nausea, could not sleep, rawness like I never knew was possible, missed a week of work because I could not even move after I had stopped using it. Took about 2 weeks, 4 doctors appointments, countless tests for various STIs/STDs for my body to fully recover."

2423423424 April 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Got 3 tiny bumps size of grain of sand at opening of vagina 20 months ago, thought they were ingrown hairs, pinched off w tweezers. Month later had a lot of vigorous sex w bf, next day had about 6 bumps in same place. Went to clinic immedediately, Dr said they were genital warts caused by a form of HPV, I was devastated. Went to Gyno 3 wks later, warts spread, about 20, he biopsied a cluster. Tried apple cidar vinegar, it was very painful. Biopsy came back neg for HPV, so went to Dermitologist. He said warts too, prescribed Imiquimod 5% cream. Used it Mon Wed Fri. Seemed like it took forever & got welts on perineum, but warts were gone by 5 wks. Got 1 bump 3 months later, used cream. Haven't had any for 13 months, but my bf just developed them"

Arethereanyleft (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "I have been using this cream for BCC 3 weeks, with 1 week left. Apply 3 nights a week. I was not sure what to expect. Using it on my face and neck initially applied over entire area until the red areas popped out. Now I'm just using it on the inflamed areas. Almost entire face is covered in red sores. Very painful, burning, and itchy. Also developed cough and fatigue. Staff at doctor office said this was normal. I guess if it has a lot of inflammation it means it is working. I have wanted to stop the treatment but trying to stick with it as I'm close to the end. I prefer to not have any additional surgeries. I rarely leave the house, this looks like a contagious disease."

Anonymous March 31, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "On a twice a week treatment plan. Initial redness appeared from in about a week, then the cancer sites began to show ulceration. I'm about two months into treatment, and the cancerous and/or keritoses are almost gone. On a side note, I had areas that lit up I didn't recognize as abnormal, but my immune system did. Used this med about three years ago with similar results. Lastly, don't discard the opened pack if you don't use it all. My Doctor said to open it with a tiny nick in the corner and use only what you need and save the rest for the next treatment. As for the return of my lesions, they are in different spots than before. This med will not cure changes before they exist."

Sunworn (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "On week 5 of 6 with application 5 times per week. Coverage area runs from cheek to cheek and the entire nose. The area did burn initially but that has stopped. Dizziness and flu like synptoms persisted.My face looks terrible but my MD did say it would get worse before getting better. The area is severely scabbed, crusted, red, irritated and looks like a giant size deep scab. The size of the area is increasing and that is a huge concern.Today my eye lids are swollen and bags of fluid appeared under the eyes. After 5 of 6 weeks treatment had to discontinue use. Will see what my options are next week at my MD appointment. Sad to have gotten this far with seemingly little benefit."

Gma Sue (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm fighting HPV for a year and half now Aldara works but it takes long time be patient it might burn you some times make sure the area is clean and dry avoid using tea tree oil or ACV while on Aldara therapy"

max877 March 15, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I never leave reviews but I wanted to for anyone else in my spot and wants sound advice. I had about 10-12 small warts above my penis (pubic hair area) and 3 on the shaft. For the "larger" warts on the shaft, I received liquid nitrogen treatment which did not work well - one returned after a month and it had no impact on the other two. I was also prescribed aldara to be used 5x weekly (M-F). Let me be clear - FOR THE FIRST 6 WEEKS IT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I was let down but continued to apply it diligently. Finally, on week 7 things started getting red and inflamed. This lasted for 2-3 weeks at which point things began healing and now look FLAWLESS. Highly recommended, but BE PATIENT"

Be Patient (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 6, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I slept with the wrong person multiple times. I've been dealing with warts close to a year now around my anus. When I first noticed them I thought they were Hemorrhoids, and bought over the counter medication for Hemorrhoids. After the clusters getting bigger and more painful I finally go to a doctor to get the checked out, they tell me it's warts and that I have HPV. I get prescribed Imiquimod, and start using it religiously (While following instructions). I've been on it for two months, no positive results. None have gone away, They haven't shrunk. All I have is a Red, Raw, Irritated anus. I got a random fever yesterday after applying and I'm done with it. Going to try another approach. Worst medication I've ever used."

StupidChoices (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I have had HPV for a couple years now and I'm 21 now, My GW signs didn't show til I turned 19 I was dealing with pain from my gastro reflux disease feeling hopeless & being embarrassed to go to the doctor I finally went and she apply some cream two times I came to see her and it did nothing and I was hopeless embarrassed of my warts bc they have raised and are big and I went to her and asked to cut them off but now I see that if I would have researched more I wouldn't be going thru the pain of getting them poked with burning numbing meds that don't work fully bc I could feel her cutting them it was horrible I damn near don't wanna have sex anymore bc of this surgery smh I should have just used Imiquimod and now its been 5days I'm healing good"

Always Research b4 over thinki (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "So I want to help everyone out there who hates the way these things look. So the other day I was looking in a handheld mirror at my warts and started to scratch them. I realized I couldn't feel it when I was touching the wart its self! I then proceeded to pinch off as much of the wart I could grab. It bled a little but I didn't feel any pain! I let the cut heal for a few days then used the cream once and I've never seen better results! THE WHOLE WART IS GONE! I DIDN'T HAVE TO WAIT FOR IT TO SHRINK IN SIZE! Now I do not know if this is safe or recommended but I figured if I went to get them surgically removed then they'd basically do the same thing but with a scalpel and charge me a lot! Good luck and let me know if this works for anyone!"

ConCon2012 February 14, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm a 27 year old male. I've had HPV for maybe 5 years from what I know. My ex gf gave it to me. I have two small genital warts on the area between my scrotum and anus. It's such a weird area. The area is itchy and rashing. My doctor treated it early on but it was temporary. He just prescribed me with Zyclara. I just applied my first dose and within not even a minute after crawling into bed, I started to feel weird. I knew something was wrong. I got insanely nauseous, my heart started beating fast like I was anxious, I started sweating and I almost passed out. I was freaking out. I got up and looked in the mirror and I was pale white. My eyes were dialated and I had trouble breathing. I wiped it off and now I'm here writing this."

imFreakingOutRightNow (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "I had a wart on my penis which the doctor froze and it disappeared. Later I noticed I had some warts around my anus. I went to the doctor, mortified, and was prescribed with Aldara cream. I used it as prescribed, three times and noticed some pain after the first week but didn't think much of it. I went back to the doctor for a check up and I was prescribed further Aldara cream. The pain after was agony. I had headaches and chemical burning to the point that I couldn't sit down for days. I stopped using the cream and bathed in Epsom Salt and used Aloe Vera. Subsequently I have continued to bathe in Epsom Salt and used Tee-Tree Oil. Although slow it works. Do NOT use Aldara Cream if you can avoid it, natural remedies are better and no pain!"

Horrific Pain February 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "Have dealt with gw at base of and on penis shaft for over 6 yrs. First had surgical excision but soon returned. Used otc wart freezing many times with minimal success and actual rebound wart growth. Finally was prescribed Imiquod 3 times weekly. Dramatic results. Started showing "activity"..shiny, liquid-like appearance on warts within a week. After 5 weeks the 2 large masses are almost completely gone. Normal surrounding skin does get red and inflamed, but quickly heals. (I also use selenium 200mcg daily and cimetidine 800mg 2daily). Keys are in patience and meticulous, careful, application. Apply only to lesions. Apply after gently washing area. Do not over apply, do rub in and then gently clean surrounding tissue with damp q-tip. Works"

Byker (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aldara (imiquimod) for Human Papilloma Virus: "WORKS FAST! You can see changes already in three days after 1 sachet! I'm amazed by this product! But I suggest once everything is cleared up already, get HPV injected so you're protected!"

Cat1203 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I'm 38 yr / male. To all, if the imiquomod/aldara doesn't work for you, ask your dermatologist for an injection of candida directly into the wart. You can Google research on it. You do it once every 3 wks. The research on it says inject one wart per visit as its known to help clear surrounding areas. A lot of dermatologists won't be familiar with this but call several until you find one that is & ask the nurse over the phone if they do it before you waste your time going. Try a doctor affiliated with a university, as they try more experimental stuff. Again, it seems called Candida. Good luck. Also, when leaving a comment on here, would be helpful if people listed their age & sex."

38 male (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Basal Cell Carcinoma: "not fun"

Kenny S January 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "It's been almost one month since using this medication and it is slowly but surely working. My lifted GW is now almost flat. My other small barely raised GW's are hardly visible. Unfortunately, my warts are on my clitoris which I haven't seen or heard anyone elses having warts in this area. My clitoris and skin surrounding the area is pretty sensitive, red, and raw. Yes, you may get some "burning lesions " most likely a chemical burn. Do not glob this medication on. Just a thin layer will do. I learned that the hard way. I still get some oozing from the lesions kinda looks like pus, but this is normal with this cream. I can't wait to see the end!"

aqw (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "I've been using for about 2 weeks now, I have warts right by vaginally entry and surrounding lips. First week I didn't really feel much difference but now I am in SO much pain from the burning! Going to the toilet and sitting down without screaming in pain are my biggest challenges...rightly or wrongly I've read other' stories, as well as a dermatologist article who all infer burning means it's working (for those that don't know it is a chemical burn cream, that's how it gets rid of the warts). I haven't stopped using it as the warts are going, but if anyone can offer ways to relive the pain and confirm I'm still going to have a fully functioning vagina at the end of this (laugh, you have to with these things!) I'd be super grateful!..."

Girl.in.Pain.UK January 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Human Papilloma Virus: "My doctor used liquid nitrogen oh my genital warts. And prescribed me the cream to use at home and I used it the same night thinking that it would make them go away faster. I burn myself and weeks later in the same area I've broken out with these canker sore looking blisters And I'm freaking out hoping that they're not herpes. I don't believe I've been exposed to it. But now these canker sore things are pretty much in the same place the genital warts were removed, They're starting to go away now I have no discharge, they're not on the inside of my vagina. Could this be the results of burning myself with cream? somebody help."

D.M.S January 10, 2017