User Reviews for Imiquimod topical to treat Basal Cell Carcinoma

Also known as: Aldara, Zyclara

Imiquimod topical has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 59 ratings for the treatment of Basal Cell Carcinoma. 58% of those users who reviewed Imiquimod topical reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Imiquimod topical Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Basal Cell Carcinoma.

Reviews for Imiquimod topical

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

“I have had BCC 4 times on top of my nose. One was on top of the nose. I had MOHS and I had to get a graft from my forehead which was stitched to the top of my nose and looks terrible, I am so embarrassed to go out. Now, I have a superficial basal cell on the side of the nostril, and my dermatologist gave me Imiquimod cream. The area is getting red, crusty, and scabby. I hope it works as I do not want to have MOH's again. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting basal cell 4 times on the nose?”

MotherOfTwo · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2020

Aldara (imiquimod): “I started using the Aldara cream on the 29th of June after being diagnosed with a Basal Cell Carcinoma on my nose. It’s now been 5 weeks of use and the area is sore, red, crusty and oozing which is exactly what should be happening. I still have another week of use but so far my doctor has been happy with my progress and said that the worse the area of the cancer cells looks after use, the better.”

Samantha May 22, 2020

Aldara (imiquimod): “After being perfectly healthy my entire life, used Aldara cream for 10 days on BC on chest. I thought it would be least invasive. After developing large "croissant" size growth of black on my chest, worsening fatigue, migraine, severe diarrhea, low grade fevers, red rash over arms and legs, large tennis ball size red swollen growth on shoulder, and dizziness was admitted to hospital. At this point, I was told later, near death. I spent 3 days in isolation, seen by infectious disease specialist, internal medicine, gastroenterologist. Dx: recurrent C-dif bowel infection-Colitis, MRSA infection, severe anemia. Received 2 blood transfusions, iron, upper scope of GI tract, MRI of brain, chest xray, multiple blood workups. Anemic blood level of 7 (normal blood level is 14). Weight loss at 20 pounds. This drug was SYSTEMIC in my body, and nearly ended my life. Do NOT take the medication. My new dermatologist stated he will never prescribe it again after my experience.”

Phil w · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2020

“Had like flu like symptoms after five days of using imiquimod! Thought it was the end of me, lost weight, sick and diarrhoea and haemorrhaged blood by the litre doubled up in pain. Didn’t eat for over a week! Very very ill Had several cameras inserted to see the problem in the intestines they said that they thought my immune system had destroyed my internal lining of my intestine”

Bobbie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

Aldara (imiquimod): “Just finished week 6 of aldara for BCC.....now waiting for the scabs and redness to go away. 6 weeks was a long treatment, but well worth it instead of MOHS surgery. You MUST wash hands before and after applying and you MUST wash the application area(s) after 8 hours. I applied the cream on the tip of my nose but the entire nose reacted! I applied the cream Monday to Friday and took Saturday and Sunday off. Weeks 3 and 4 were the worst....lots of oozing and dark scabs. You can use makeup....start with a color corrector, then a concealer and/or foundation. I’m now waiting for the scabs and redness to go away. There are no instructions on what to do after the 6 weeks, so I’m still washing the area and putting moisturizer on it twice a day.”

Cindy · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2020

Aldara (imiquimod): “Aldara usage for BCC gave me severe side effects, hospitalization, systemic penetration to my body. Nearly died. DO NOT use this drug. I was forever changed, at a young age. There are so many better alternatives.”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2020

Aldara (imiquimod): “I treated my several areas of my face with Aldara in 2007. My reaction was so severe after 10 days of use, my dermatologist advised me to discontinue the use. I thought I broke my metarcpal , trapexoid and trapsium. It was swollen and I had such pain i could not even hold a pen. Of course it had to be my right thumb, and I am right handed. which is also the hand I applied the cream with. I had a orthopedic friend order an xray, which came back as arthritis in those areas. One of the rare side effects, however I also had fever chills malaise, and really ugly inflammation. I have since had to have several lesions surgically removed, involving skin grafts, some removed with the use of liquid nitrogen, and now my dermatologist is recommending I treat them again with Aldara. Not a chance!! I will try the Effudex again, however it did nothing the first time I used it, but that was several years ago, maybe 2000, or earlier.”

Linda · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2020

Aldara (imiquimod): “My second week. Basal Cell Carcinoma on right forehead and cheek. Blistering all over my cheek and around my mouth. Dry, crusty patch on the right side of my nose. Feel tired but I am sleeping. The area of reaction is bigger than I expected but nothing on my forehead yet. I had one excision above my eyebrow which took ages to heal so am happy to use the cream. In Italy it cost 84 Euros.”

Anonymous December 12, 2019

Aldara (imiquimod): “This is my 5th go-around with Aldara. I've previously treated 3 facial BCCs and 2 pre-cancerous areas. I insist on a biopsy the minute I have even a tiny, non-healing lesion and I have never been wrong. I notice nothing for about 14 days, then all the big reaction breaks loose! Painful, weeping, 2-cm sores requiring gauze just to sleep. I look like a leper. This latest treatment came with massive headaches, joint aches, abdominal pain and flu-like malaise which began during week three and continues unabated. That said, I have never had a lesion recur; there is no scarring whatsoever; and the healing after stopping the applications is swift-- all sores gone within about two weeks. It can take two to four months before the skin thickens completely back to normal, and I am compulsive about sun-screening-- especially any pre-treated areas. The treatment isn't fun, and at $400 a pop it's a bit excessive. But the results for me have been consistently great.”

Jeanette · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2019

Aldara (imiquimod): “I have used Aldara for a few days on my BCC and the results are incredible”

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

“I've previously undergone; Efudex all over face, Mohs surgery for right eye canthus bcc, laser treatment all over face, radiation for invasive bcc below left nostril, had Aldara all over chest. Now instead of going for Mohs to get rid of a cluster of nose tip bcc and also left top eyelid bcc I am doing Aldara. Apart from nose and eye, I am also self treating right top lip pre cancerous cells. I am 3 weeks in. Haven't been able to continue on eyelid, as it over reacted and looks like a boxers eye but I hope to get back to it. Yes, I look like a monster from the deep. With a bit of makeup, I look like a bad ice addict! But I love this drug! It's knocking off those Cancer cells for a lot less than the Porsche drivers charge and I'm not going to end up disfigured”

Kel · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

Aldara (imiquimod): “For 18 months I had a sore on my nose that would bleed scab than disappear, finally I had it checked (I should have known better, have family history of skin cancer) came back as a BCC. I'm now 5 weeks into my use of Aldara. for the first 3 weeks didn't really have any signs of it doing to much well now at week 5, my nose is hard scab like and a lot bigger area than I had thought. I wouldn't say its sore just uncomfortable and itchy at times. I guess once completed and healed time will tell if it completely worked, my doctor gives it an 80% chance and if not, its surgery for me. I hope this isn't all for nothing but feel it has been worth the chance and do feel that it has done its job well, so far so good. I'm in AUS and cost was $50.”

Minerva · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 25, 2019

Aldara (imiquimod): “I am in complete agreement with "Old Ruth". Nothing happened for about 10 days, but when it did, wow! Instead of having one lesion only it turned out that I had them all over my nose. It became swollen, then stretched, then "crusty", and then the whole mess disappeared and has not returned, 5 years now. The biggest drawback is the price! It was on half-prescription when I began, but very shortly thereafter it was taken off prescription (I live in Spain) and reverted to 84 euros. I wouldn't mind except with the little- sachets - you don't seem to be getting much for your money. More recently I have had a similar lesion on my temple. I have been using Diclofenaco partly because it seems to have a good reputation, and partly because it is MUCH cheaper. The jury is still out, but it seems to be having more or less the same effect as the Aldara.”

Sue · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2019

Aldara (imiquimod): “I have been using Aldara for 5 and a half weeks, on a BCC that was scrapped off. Strangely nothing has happened, I have applied it as recommended, but there is nothing (except the scar from the scrapping) to show for it! Money not well spent!”

Dots · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod): “I had cancer in situ on the glans (top of my penis). I used Efudix for 6 weeks and didn't have any side effects. Now its reduced to a Basaliom (pre stage to cancer) which is from HPV virus. So doctor gave med Aldara. Used a small amount for 4 days. Had to stop, fever, swollen glands, backpain, burning and blood spots on my penis, can't pee without screaming. Even water hurts!!”

LAD · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2018

“I’ve used this multiple times. All on the face. While the treatment is not pretty or painless the results are wonderful. With surgery I would have had to undergo plastic surgery to rebuild cheek area. This treatment was well worth the pain and discomfort. Skin is healthy and no surgeries. Be prepared to be stared at and don’t plan any important business/social event during treatment. It truly is ugly. But again, 6 weeks of discomfort for exceptional result is worth it to me. My skin was covered in large oozing scabs that didn’t feel good. Washing was miserable. But you can get through anything for 6 weeks for such great results. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Pain, discomfort, headache, better than surgery any day.”

Bridielena · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod): “3 weeks only using it at night Monday/Wednesday/Friday only. No side effects but masked probably because I have Parkinsons. Small area only above Temple . No result really although feeling it now there is a rough patch so pleased. I would like to use for another week but not sure if advisable. I had a stinging sensation for years which GP’s just waved their hands in the air as if to say nothing to worry about until I saw a GP 3 weeks ago. He prescribed this cream and I believe it’s now doing its job.”

old Iris · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 4, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod): “I'm now 82 after 4 surgeries on my face I was given Aldara ..it may make big red ugly areas but with patience it does the job. You may think you just have a small area that is affected but wow..it's usually a larger area than you think. That's why I think it's better that doing the MOH's surgery.”

Lisa April 13, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod): “I had a small dot on my chest and a penny sized one on my side. The dermatology consultant told me to use aldara on the two areas but only once daily for five days then two day break. Leave on for 8 hours then wash off. She then said she would see me in 4 months. I was a bit surprised she didn't want to see me during treatment but thought the aldara must be good at doing its job. How wrong could I be. Within one week of using it the rest of my chest erupted into large red sores with lots of little red spots all over it. I didn't know if this was normal as nothing much was discussed at appointment. I continued to use the cream but everyday was more and more horrific. The sores were blistering and bleeding and oozing fluid not to mention red raw and itchy. By the end of the second week I could not tolerate any more so I stopped using it and tried to contact the dermatology department which wasn't interested unless I had another referral from my doctor.”

Grant Par April 10, 2018

“Treating Bacal Cell Carcinoma. 7 weeks in, 3 weeks to go 9 spots being treated with 2 quite large (3" x 3"). I'm treating about 25 square inches. 3 spots did not react at all or very minimally even though they were biopsied and confirmed bcc. 3 of the spots reacted in a big way, causing scabbing, oozing, flaking, big growth of affected area, burning/severe itching... Side effects. Not sure if it is amount of surface area or the type of ailment that affects this. Not been able to sleep through the night for 7 weeks - just wake up after 2 or 3 hours, in some cases I'm also distracted by the itching/burning, in other cases I'm just awake, drowzy and unable to sleep. Had a headache almost the entire treatment, ranging from barely noticable to distracting but not terrible. "flu like symptoms" almost the entire treatment. I feel achy in my legs/hips and general feeling of sickness that leaves unable to think properly or interact normally. Also had some fever/night sweats.”

R James · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod): “I had a BCC on my ear, and had it treated with radiotheraphy. It came back. I then had it cut out with a skin graft. It came back. I then treated it with Aldara, but for not as long as recommended, and that worked for about 6 months, but it returned about a year ago. The Dr. indicated that the next step was surgery to remove part of my ear. I gave it another good dose for the full recommended term with Aldara, and it/s been clear since then. I believe I should have used Aldara from the start, and avoided radiotheraphy and an operation, plus a lot of cost. I've had no side effects, and have used it on other BCC with no problems.”

Shirley Go-t-a March 13, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod): “I had BCC on my nose. I had been misdiagosed and by the time a biopsy was done the surgeon said he could do MOHs surgery but it would require removing a thumb nail size portion of my nose, using parts of my ear to reconstruct the nose and also skin grafts. He offered the Aldara option to shrink the tumor. He said that the cream would turn my nose red. I applied the Aldara cream every night for 6 weeks as directed. It was absolutely far more than turning my nose red. Fatigue, headaches, bright red nose that looked as though my nose was one big cold sore. I went into quarantine for six weeks. At times I felt I could not continue. Some how I did. If wish there were a place to post pictures of my nose during Aldara treatment. I went back for the MOH's surgery. It only took two scrapings to remove cancer. I would choose the Aldara option should I ever be given the choice. It was miserable but I would still take it over the surgery option.”

Lisa March 11, 2018

“After my first 3 weeks & follow up doc has me on second lot of 3 weeks (5 days on, 2 off.) My BCC has a large raised scab & is red/raw. But, thankfully, it's on top of my head so it isn't noticeable. The main side effects for me have been "tasting" the creme inside my mouth (yuk). I've also experienced fatigue and sort of a "blue" feeling. Since the scab is very raised I try to avoid brushing my hair much. I've cleaned the wound area with cotton, peroxide and alcohol. No stinging or pain. I attribute that to the fact the scab looks and feels like a helmet. But I'm happy my immune system is working well with the creme. And I will take this process over a bald spot at the top of my head. I take comfort in that I am taking part in the process of my healing. I now wear hats religiously in the sun. If something on your head feels like a pimple and doesn't go away see your dermatologist ASAP. I feel very thankful that this spot was a BCC and not a melanoma. Good luck on your healing journey.”

AASSBB January 30, 2018

Aldara (imiquimod): “Easy to apply. The medication journal makes it easy to track usage and clearly defines “break days”. This is week four. Skin is red and irritated, however very bearable and annoying rather than painful. Other side effects are pretty hard to tolerate. Fatigue is beyond belief and at times debilitating yet unable to sleep. Nausea all the time. Headache at times. Perception seems to be a little distorted. Difficult to tell how much the light headed feeling is coming from fatigue. Joints ache. A little weight gain. I’m irritable due to unbearable fatigue. Dreams at night are emotionally overwhelming and vivid. The effect of alcohol is extremely magnified. I call these my little bottles of hell. That’s how they make me feel. That said, it seems to be working and I’m very interested in seeing the results. Given a choice at this stage, excision would be my preference. That might change by the time I finish treatment. However it would take a lot to endure this again.”

Blobface October 28, 2017

“I am just starting week 3 of 12 for BCC on my sideburn. The area turned into a scab almost immediately and is now about the size of a British penny -- it has been sore at times, and I have noticed another spot below it that may just be an insect bite. I go running most days and I'm pretty healthy - I did notice feeling a bit lethargic and my airways not being so clear, but I'm currently putting that down to the weather and my training regime. I will update as I progress.”

Learn more about Basal Cell Carcinoma