User Reviews for Tofranil to treat Depression

Tofranil has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 6 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 50% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 33% reported a negative experience.

Tofranil rating summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

conrad09 · January 24, 2010

"I suffered from depression on and off til I was 33. My doctor prescribed a couple medicines without success. Tried Tofranil because my mother took it in the late 1950's. Noticed a gradual improvement over 1 to 4 months with the full effect over a period of about 12 months. Medicine did not work at 100mg so went up to 250mg then 200mg. Some (small price) side effects include dry mouth (Gum, tictac remedy) medicine makes you sleepy about 2 hrs after ingestion. Get ready for a good nights sleep, increased appetite and feeling more relaxed than ever before. I remember the first sign of the Tofranil working was when I went outside one day and the sun seemed so bright and I was happier to be alive. That was 25years ago. "

Anonymous · August 2, 2009

"At first this medicine seemed great. Was taking it for depression and generalized anxiety disorder. After a week on the lowest dose I started having bad side effects. I was shaving one morning and noticed my face, lips and arm felt numb. Doctor reduced my dosage to 10mg that worked okay for a week then same side effects."

Amy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 2, 2020

"Tofranil made me painfully constipated, very nervous, irritable, between doses, I'd get extremely weepy and emotionally distraught... it was the only time in my life that I felt live was too hard. When I started experiencing heart palpitations, I stopped taking it. I have CPTSD and Borderline"

Kam I · Taken for less than 1 month · February 17, 2016

"Waste of 75 bucks. My mood only increased slightly, and in exchange I got terrible bouts of dizziness and vertigo. Most of the time I felt like I'd been shot with a tranquilizer dart. Horrible experience. After only a week or so, I started to get nausea as well, so I had to stop. I regret spending money on this med."

Anonymous · April 26, 2010

"Best and least expensive. Came off Celexa because of side effect. Be patient, it works in about 3 weeks."

Patty · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 28, 2022

"I have been on it a few months and feel great. Was put on this for IBS and depression. Been great so far!"