User Reviews for Hydralazine

Heart Failure 1 reviews 123 medications
Summary of Hydralazine reviews 2.3 56 reviews

Reviews for Hydralazine

RCKC · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 17, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “As stated below with Denver Viking's statement this medication I believe is causing my husband some terrible problems. His GFR has gone down to Stage 5 kidney failure with this medicine in only under a years times. This new nephrologist is running some labs to see if this hydralazine has indeed caused a form of Lupus of vasculitis issue with the kidneys. I have decided to stop this medication on him and hopefully his kidney function will improve and his blood pressure also. Feeling hopeless”

denver viking · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 24, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “This medication hydralazine almost killed me. Under the NIH SPRINT blood pressure study, I was prescribed a massive dosage of this drug, 300 mg. which I took for years, becoming more and more ill. I suffered from anorexia and lost over 20 pounds, suffered extreme fatigue, aches and pains, and in the last few months of usage, ran a daily fever of 100-101. It was like having the flu for months. I had thousands of dollars worth of tests in attempts to diagnose my problem which only made me feel worse. My daughter and "Dr Google" and I finally discovered the cause of my illness: Hydralazine-induced ANCA, a very serious autoimmune disease which caused vasculitis, inflamed blood vessels causing kidney disease. I stopped the hydralazine and most symptoms have improved. Beware this drug!!!!”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Was given this along with 4 other meds to help lower my BP have heart failure, enlarged heart, hypertension. Was given through an IV 0630 and immediately had tingling in my hands and feet, again at 1030 as my sister came to sit with me. I was in the middle of an echocardiogram and this time I thought I was dying. I couldn’t feel the top of my head it went completely numb, the tingling in my hands and feet were at the same time but then noticed my face, tongue and throat tingling as well just more intense. They had to call medical response team in and were doing the stroke test questions and movements on me. All I could manage were tears and pray. My breathing was severely labored, my speech wasn’t clear as I couldn’t really feel my face or throat or tongue. I will not EVER take it again. It didn’t help and made matters worse. I was sad thinking my sister was sitting right beside me and was going to watch me die. I won't let anyone give it to me again.”

codesmith · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 23, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on Hydralazine for about 5 years for high BP. And at a very high dose of three 100mg tablets per day, along with Amlodipine and Lisinopril. About 5 months ago I started experiencing severe joint pain. It never stayed in one joint for more than a day, but moved around between fingers, wrists, ankles, knees, and shoulders. At times absolutely excruciating. At best I had maybe 4 or 5 days (not consecutively) out of that 5-month period where I was in little or no pain. I stopped taking Hydralazine three weeks ago after consulting my doctor and a high ANA measurement. After 2 days all pain was gone. Pain free for almost 3 weeks now. I am a 63 year old male.”

Ty January 5, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was in the hospital with unexplained and uncontrollable high BP. I was given this after an additional dose of one of my BP meds did not lower my readings. It was injected. It started with burning of my face and mouth and moved on to hives, cough, and side pain. All from 1 dose. Thankfully I was in the hospital and they were able to inject me with Benadryl. Yes, it was an allergic reaction but you need to read all of them before taking this med.”

Chic · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Taken off all previous BP medications and put on Hydralazine 100mg 3x daily. Horrible sinus pain, headache, severe back pain, diarrhea and my pulse got very high 95. The worst was it isn’t managing my BP. It’s running 165/133 higher than it’s ever been in my life. I feel miserable and am stopping it immediately. Going to have a long talk with my cardiologist! Horrible medication.”

OviedoDave · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “50mg hydralazine every 8 hours, on day three woke with chills, confusion, arthralgia, flushing, nausea, dizziness and light headedness...While it did lower my BP 20 points, the side effects certainly outweighed the benefit. Promptly, dropped the dose by half, BP is perfect, and will be having a talk with said Doctor, post haste”

Sissy December 1, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I went to the hospital with stomach pain which cause my blood pressure to elevate. They gave me hydralazine in IV. I thought my head was about to burst. I asked them to stop the drug but was given to me in pill form. I can't even concentrate.”

Tiredofmeds · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been taking hydralazaline for two weeks. My heart rate is higher I'm always tired. My heart is pounding in my chest I have chest pains. My feet and hands are swollen. I have an awful headache all the time.I just feel awful. My blood pressure is not much better. I quit taking it a couple days ago an already feel a little better. I wouldn't recommend this for anyone. I thought it was just me till I read this article.”

BP Guy · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Hydrolazine is a fast-acting drug to treat high blood pressure! Avoid this medication at all costs. The side effects I experienced included dizziness, lightheadedness, sweating, vomiting and rapid fluctuations of blood pressure readings. I've been taken to the hospital twice in an ambulance from that med! I recognize that prescription meds affect everyone differently, but please read the list of side effects before allowing your doctor to prescribe Hydralazine. I would rather have a slower acting blood pressure med that gradually decreased blood pressure and kept it down. With all the blood pressure meds out there, there is no reason to use this med. Avoid it like the plague!”

Juliana727 · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Dr. started me at 10 mg 2 x daily for 2 weeks. BP went much higher. She upped dosage to 25 mg 3 x day. Everyday I felt worse and worse. Extreme fatigue, body aches, facial pain, and severe headache. Last night, my whole face became swollen, and I had anaphalaxis. ER Doc said to quit taking it. Called my Cardiologist 8:30 am and left message with receptionist about what happened. Cardiologist never called me back. Just called in an Rx for Metroprolol tartrate 25 mg. I am upset with my Cardiologist for not calling. My face is still swollen, severe headache, butterfly rash on face that feels hot, lips swollen and jaw and neck pain. I think it was Drug-induced lupus erythematosus. This drug should be pulled from market. Too many people have bad reactions. I almost died from it, and am still not out of the woods. You are not supposed to quit cold turkey.”

Jo · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 29, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on Hydralazine for high blood pressure for a few years, blood pressure was being controlled, then started experiencing rapid heart rate, hearing my heart thumping loudly through my ear when my head was placed on a pillow and in my back when lying down, joint pains and swollen ankles legs and feet, fatigue outdoor light intolerance, leg cramps and itching, my doctor stopped the medication and ordered labs, everything came back elevated, my ANA Uric acid were all up in addition to other test done, so I was diagnosed with medication induced lupus because of this drug, it is a bad drug , I am now a lot better most of these symptoms are gone or getting better, my labs will be rechecked in a couple months, fortunately for me mine was caught before I had to be hospitalized like some of the other readers.”

Lisa · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Started taking this Med due to high blood pressure (BP) 220/140. Already on atenolol 50 bid and lisinipril 60 mg a day. Doc put me on this hydralazine 100 mg - 3 times a day. It did bring my pressure down but the side effects are terrible. I’ve had a migraine everyday with such bad sinus problems I can’t breath. I read that combining lisinipril and hydralazine is habit forming and it’s very hard to come off them safely. What was this dr thinking? I’m 54 and will definitely talk to him about changing meds. It’s scaring me just thinking about it.”

Daisy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 26, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “On hydralazine 50 mg twice a day, with some Afib issues but not a big problem. BP still high anyway. Mitral valve replacement surgery in April, recovery seemed slow, then nausea, afib, fast heart rate, dizziness and fatigue getting worse and worse in May and June. Asked Dr. to reduce dose, the more it was reduced, the better I felt. Now dr. says I can reduce the dose to 25 mg once a day for 2 weeks, and then hooray I'm off the stuff. Just saw on internet, hydralazine contra-indicated for mitral valve malfunction caused by rheumatic disease. And that's exactly what I have, wonder why I was ever put on the stuff. Most unpleasant symptoms I've ever had, very depressing.”

grimek · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Hydralazine did lower my BP, but it was slowly killing me. Side effects included: low energy, nauseous, no appetite, weight loss, major joint pain/swelling, Swelling of lower legs. I thought I had Lyme disease and was tested for it. All I wanted to do was sleep! I could barely move. Doctors told me it couldn't be this drug, but I stopped taking it anyway, and felt better almost immediately. A nurse told me I was allergic to it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 11, 2019

For Hypertensive Emergency: “This medication is not favorable for all. My husband’s BP became erratic since he was put on this medication. It lowers the BP drastically once it’s taken and and metabolized by the body. Once it’s out of the system, BP readings go up so high, the highest 234/117.”

Bill · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “First four days up and down now levelling off. Sleepy first three day now thats lessening. Fast heart rate first two days. Now all side effects levelling. Two weeks on now great. Body needs time to adjust to any medicine. Give it a 10++. Love it great”

wayner · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “my blood pressure was running 148/90 so, dr. gave me order for hydralazine 50mg. I took it one evening and the next morning I could not remember what I did the night before or what I ate. My heart rate went from 62 normal to 75. I heard my heart beating while I was trying to go to sleep. It was a heavy thump sound. My eyes were blurry the next morning. That's it for me. Must find something else.”

Jerry · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “100mg 2 times a day. Lost 10 lbs in 2 months. Sleep all the time. No energy no appetite. Dropped to 50mg two times a day. No change. Need to drop this medicine.”

Big Lou · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2019

For Hypertensive Emergency: “Got this med in ER in an IV. Came in with BP of 190/100. This med increased my BP to 225/125. Clonidine is much better for me.”

vicky · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “This hydralazine made me feel sleepy all day. My hair was falling out terribly, and gained weight! No Thank you I refuse to take it. Check your recalls too”

Luchi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 9, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Been taking Hydrazaline 25mg three times daily. My Blood Pressure doesn’t go down much, and I am having major headaches daily, feels like a sinus headache and my ankles are swollen daily since started taking this medication. I haven’t had headaches for a long time, so I was wondering why all of a sudden I started having debilitating headaches. My doctors assistant always ask me if I am taking my blood pressure medication because each time I go into the doctor office my blood pressure is always high. I don’t have energy as it is and this medication zaps what energy I have and I feel stuck not being able to complete anything, I also wondered why I have a fast heartbeat all of the time. After reading about Hydrazaline and the side affects, sure makes sense that I better get off of this medication. No one tells you the bad things regarding medications unless you look them up for yourself. Pays to do self research in order to stay alive.”

wbrockstar · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I was informed I have high blood pressure a few years ago during a dot physical which is required for my cdl license. After being on Lisinopril then Amlodipine, with little improvement ,I was put on 25mg of Hydralazine twice daily & I've had some of the side effects mentioned by others. The worse one was not being able to breathe when taking two tablets at the same time/too close to each other, so for anyone taking this medicine for the first time, don't make that mistake. This medicine has a warning label that states not to drive or operate machinery while taking this medicine and its a valid warning. This medicine makes you very drowsy. I was on opiates for 15 years & I'm on 110mg methadone daily now (no nodding/no drowsiness) but Hydralizine puts me out for 8-10 hours.This details how strong its effects are.”

John · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “I was started on 3 pills of Hydrazaline 25mg. 8 hours apart for high blood pressure along with two 6.25 Carvedilol twice daily and after taking them I couldn't breath. After stopping the Hydrazaline I could breath but my blood pressure rose to dangerous heights on just the Carvedilol it is back to the doctor.”

Anttee · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Given this drug for high BP readings after taking steroids for an allergic reaction to Lisinopril. Worked great in lowering bp. Side effects have been awful. 25 mg 1 or 2 times a day. Taking Coreg and Verapamil plus a little diuretic. Extremely lightheaded, in a fog, confusion. I was clumsy, stumbling. Had vision problems. Actual blind spots. Flushing, restlessness, bad anxiety. It did it’s job but I was so freaked out with the way I was feeling. I worried bp may go too low. Horrible headaches, but to be fair, my bp was causing headaches. Cut pull in half. Symptoms improved. Tonight bp decent 142/87 so I didn’t take it. Just be aware of potential side effects. Going to keep an eye on everything as doctor still wants me to take it, but I don’t want to. I spent my nights with my heart pounding. Good luck to all. God bless.”