User Reviews for Hyaluronan

Also known as: Hymovis, Monovisc, Orthovisc

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Hyaluronan.

Osteoarthritis
6.8

Summary of Hyaluronan reviews 6.8 122 reviews

Reviews for Hyaluronan

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I got my last of 4 orthovisc injections 4 days ago, the 1st two injections didn't even feel, the 3rd was intense and painful and the 4th even more intense and I felt the Dr. Moving the needle, he said he was having a hard time finding the spot! Very very intense. But I made it. Note after 2nd shot and right before the 3rd shot was walking better, and bending knee and no pain. After 3rd and 4th still have the issue of not bending knee when I walk and TAKING Ibuprofen 800mg 2 times a day. I have 2 tears in my left meniscus and bone spurs and a bakers cysts, also have osteoarthritis ! Doctor has been saying total knee replacement right from the start. I am at times walking better and the pain only really hurts when I am due for next meds"

debilyne (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Osteoarthritis in right knee eventually lead to bone on bone. After my last scope Nov. 2015, the pain persisted to where I had a steroid injection. It relieved some of the pain for 2 months (considered non-effective according to FDA), then the excruciating pain returned. Last nonsurgical option was Orthovisc, which all 3 injections were very painful. I didn't experience relief until 2-3 weeks after the last injection. I have been pain free, with an occasional very brief episode (seconds) of some pain. Now it's October 2017, and it's been wearing off. But 12 months worth of no pain was definitely worth it. So glad I toughed it out!"

48 yr. old (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I found the reviews helpful, In March I had a shot of Cortisone in my right knee. It was effective for 5 months. When my pain returned the doctor recommended Ortho Visc. I had 3 treatments, each a week apart, I had relief after a few days, but it didn't last. I had the final injection on August 30th. It really hurt, and I was light-headed afterwards, and could hardly walk. The PA that gave me the last treatment had me rest until I felt OK to walk and drive. He told me to mark 3 weeks on the calendar, at which time I would feel no pain. (Did that mean I would be dead?!) After 8 days I am almost pain free! Now to see how long it lasts."

JYSZ September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Had my first injection 18 months ago 1st injection of series was no pain, 2nd of series extreme pain, swelling, stiffness, 3rd injection no pain. I had no real knee pain for 18 months remained active with Pilates, hiking, walking, circuit training. Pain started again in June 2017, started injections again in September, 1st injection no pain, next day no swelling but few twinges. I hope I get another 18 months or more. Had surgery 2 years ago, Knee remains stable right now, goal is to avoid any surgery for now on."

Shebe (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I completed the series of 3 Orthovisc injections Aug. 15 and sadly not noticing much improvement. I read from one comment that relief wasn't noticed till about a month so I am hoping like crazy that it will work. After the first injection it seemed like there might be hope for my knees and I gave a 10-15% improvement but nothing after the first go round. Had a good Dr. that used an ultrasound so the needle wasn't too bad. More pressure then pain but I am disappointed with the results so far."

Nickapoo September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Osteoarthritis: "I had a series of 3 injections of orthovisc in both of my knees last year and they worked great!! Pain relief after 3 weeks which lasted 3 full months. Same time of year I decided to get another series of injections, this time they did not do a thing for me. Actually I believe it made it quite worse! It's been over 6 weeks since my last shot, I've still yet to see anything beneficial this time around...."

Mr Bike-aholic August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Osteoarthritis: "I was experiencing knee pain and received a cortisone injection with fair results. Four weeks later I was offered and received Monovisc. They told me not to expect improvement for 3-4 weeks. It's been six weeks. Since the day of the injection, my knee is worse. It is stiff, and gets stiffer if I sit for very long. I have to be careful about how I move it are it can have pain."

Disappointed 2 August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I've been getting Orthovisc injections for 12 years, I'm 52, just had first of 3 again this am. Makes big difference for me, and has. Tried another brand, 3 shots in one, yikes and didn't last. Yes the 3rd shot more painful, and yes feels a bit wobbly at first after each injection but gone within a day. Still snowboarding, hiking, paddle boarding, wakesurfing more than wakeboarding (that is impact). Thank you for orthovisc. PS side note, have a reputable orthopedic with great PA's who mostly do the injections. It can go crazy painful bad with that long needle."

CindyCSML August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "My Dr thought this would be a good idea for me because of my knee condition I had had for years. I figured I'd give it a go and big surprise it made it worse a lot worse - it was like he stirred up a hornets nest after those shots. Now I'm having more trouble with it than ever before with walking pain, sleeping pain, knee resting pain, it's all worse I'm 40 and walk like I'm 80. Physical therapy was a joke considering my condition can't be fixed without replacing the knee. All physical therapy did was get me to shift my weight to one side and now my other knee is giving me problems. I guess the Dr won't be happy until I'm in a wheelchair ."

Terrible pain nightmare (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I am 86, in good health and play tennis twice a week. The bone on bone problem started about 5 years ago and the orthovisc has been a blessing. I heard about its effectiveness in only 50 % of people treated and am so glad it's working for me. No problem with the injections. I can feel when I need another shot - probably about 8 months."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I have bone on bone on my left knee, so bad I was ready for a replacement. My Dr. suggested we "give the shots a shot", if they don't work, we'll take the next step. He is an expert at giving shots to the knee as I felt no pain, just a bit of pressure as he did each injection. At first I was very disappointed as I didn't feel any difference. About a month and a half after we finished the series, I noticed I had no pain in my knee! Lasted about a year, going in for another 3 shots next month. Dr. says it works for some, but not all, and I'm glad I 'gave it a shot'."

PKiddy (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Last June I participated in a road clean up and after a 1/2 mile I could no longer walk. Went to an orthopedist who took an xray. I got the impression that he just figured I was an overweight old lady who needed to complain. I heard his surprise when he saw I had bone on bone. He recommended 3 injections. The 1st one wasn't bad. The 2nd hurt a bit and after the last one I couldn't even get off the table it was so painful. Relief has lasted a year and now I have an appointment to see a new doctor for another round. So, yes, as someone mentioned the doctor you use makes a difference!"

BIB6 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I am 58 and have some osteoarthritis in my right knee. I have had 3 shots now and I am not feeling it. Still hard to walk / painful. I will be receiving 1 more shot and hoping and hoping it kicks in???"

aljsa June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I had my first series of three shots in 2015. What a relief I received from them. I am bone on bone with 2 spurs in my left knee. My first set of shots lasted almost 20 months with little pain. I just completed my 2nd series of 3 shots and the knee is already feeling better. My doctor said that about half of the people get relief with the shots, but I feel it is worth a shot to see if you in that 50% who get relief."

Golflady3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Monovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Had shot 5/16/2017 felt instant relief after the 3rd day. As of 6/10/2017 I am noticing pain and swelling again. Sad... was hoping it would have lasted longer."

MickeyB1509 June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I found out i have the beginnings of arthritis in both knees. I had the 3 shot course and at week 7 I've had no pain relief."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Monovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I had been getting Orthovisc for a few years and found it had worked wonderfully to stave off knee deterioration and pain after having two previous surgeries for ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair. I then moved to a different state where their preferred drug was Monovisc because it's just the one injection instead of three. It has been almost two months and my knee and now calf, hasn't hurt this bad since my initial inquires: constantly swollen, can only minimally bend it and can't straighten it or put pressure on it to lay on my stomach. I'm not sure why there's such a huge difference, nor does my doctor who now just helps me manage the pain with cortisone, a brace and meds, but I will never have Monovisc again."

Bad knee May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "This has given me my life back! I have had these injections now for the past 4 years and would not be walking without them. THE QUALITY OF THE TECHNICIAN ADMINISTERING THE SHOTS IS VITAL! The first few shots I received were incredibly painful (I almost fainted) and only lasted a couple of months. Apparently the technician got close...but didn't get ALL of the gel INTO the all-important knee capsule and some got wasted. I went to another doctor who used an x-ray machine to verify that the fluid was going in EXACTLY where it needed to go and what a difference! Hardly any injection pain and the shot lasted 7 months before I needed more. L"

Sporty Florida Girl May 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I tore the lateral meniscus in my right knee when I took a spill on our stairs. Had a partial meniscectomy. MD also found a small amount of OA on the lateral femur and have it off during that arthroscopic procedure. He recommended gel injections. I had the series of 3 beginning 7 weeks post-op. I had swelling and decreased ROM with increased pain after each injection, second was the worst. I am 13 days post injections and still with some joint swelling, don't have full ROM back, and do not feel the injections helped; I think they regressed my recovery. If I had to do it over again, would NOT do the injections!!! So frustrated!!!"

HB Runner April 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Worse pain and total lack of movement."

USC Sue (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Just had my 3rd shot last week, noticing some relief but not what I thought. Going to give it some time. Hope it helps. The pain still wakes me at night and I'm always stiff."

Packmom March 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Just had my second injection yesterday. After the first injection I was somewhat sore and knee was swollen, however, since yesterday soreness has retreated and swelling has subsided. Feels good. It takes, as I understand it, 4-6 weeks to take full effect. So, we will see, but so far so good."

Capt Larry (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Osteoarthritis: "Today was my third set of injections in both knees since 2015. I opted for the one shot dosage as opposed to a series of 3 (why would you want to get stabbed 3 times instead of 1???) Like night and day. Dr. said he's had patients do this for 10 years to avoid knee surgery. He also advised that when the shots don't work and it is affecting my quality of life, then it is time for the surgery. So far this has been a God-send. First time it lasted 6 months, second time almost a year."

Katydoes (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "It's been 5 weeks since the last shot in a series of 4 Orthovisc injections for my torn meniscus. My right knee is now super swollen, and my pain is now Twice as bad as before the injections!! I drug myself up to get to sleep, but I am awoken each night/morning with excruciating pain!! I don't know what the heck went wrong! I'm only 47, with bone on bone, arthritis, etc. Had surgery to repair meniscus, but it was torn again! Only "fix" the doctor's say is a total knee replacement. Trying to push it back till I'm older, but I've had problems with this Knee since 2008!!! Can't take it anymore! Am I supposed to keep waiting for something to happen miraculously? I ice it daily, exercise, stretching, hot tub, etc. Any advice would be great!"

CarlSims (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Finally after years of pain, inflammation and not being able to bend my knee...my Dr. Suggested Orthovisc. He explained to me what is was, what it's for, what to expect and without a doubt I said yes! After being so miserable for so long I figured I had nothing to lose. After the first injection I had relief, finally! It was tender for the first day, after that..it was fine. I completed the 3 week regimen and I'm so glad I went for it! My knee feels great!!! I'm going for the other one starting next week. Thank you Orthovisc and Thank you to my Dr. No pain, I can bed and walk pain free!"

Bernie P. January 25, 2017