User Reviews for Hyaluronan

Also known as: Monovisc, Orthovisc

Learn more about Hyaluronan.

Osteoarthritis 82 reviews 345 medications

Summary of Hyaluronan reviews 82 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Hyaluronan

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I've been getting Orthovisc knee injections for over 11 years, although not last year, 2015 due to no work time off. Recently moved to Charlottesville, VA and just had my 3rd, final, injection today, 8/4/2016 (good for 6 months). Found best orthopedic yet (I have a steel rod, torn ACL, no cartilage, bone on bone, bone spurs, left leg, started in '98 with broken tibia). The PA at UVA, Nick, best yet, yes stings, and you feel the pressure of additional fluid for first day. Well worth it and looking forward to wakeboarding next week, and longer hours on the slopes snowboarding this coming up ski season. Makes a huge difference, and has always. I'm 51, too young for full knee replacement, and not sure I want to go through that anyway."

CindyCsml (taken for 10 years or more) August 4, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I obtained relief (from swelling, hot, painful knee joints) after religiously taking Glucosamine-chondroitin and calcium for six months, I kept this up with good results until pain returned May 2016.PCP referral to orthopedic surgeon who took x-rays of my hip & both knees & told me there was virtually no cartilage left, bone grinding against bone & bone spurs near both knees. I got Cortisone shot in in the one knee, then following week in the other w then after 2 weeks or so, started the orthovisc "gel" shots in my right knee--once per week for 4 weeks. The needle going into knee was not bad, but, pressure of gel filling knee was uncomfortable, but only for a few seconds. Excellent relief after the 3rd shot w/ good range of motion in knee."

15yearsw/OrthoArthritis (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Did not work for my minimal OA! I was left with Orthovisc as my only alternative after my insurance company decided they would no longer cover Euflexxa which I used with great success for 4 years. I will now have to pay almost $1000 out of pocket for the better product, such a shame! Orthovisc gave me no relief at all; The Euflexxa I was getting 18 months on continuous relief."

DiveGerl July 22, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Had my third shot today; bi-lateral. I have to say I have seen a major improvement in both knees. I would wake up at night and go to turn over, my lower leg would not move and my upper leg (above the knee) would pop and grind on the joint. When this happens now I can feel the upper and lower joints cushioned by the Orthovisc. I felt relief about 3 weeks after the first set of shots. I am confident that after the 3rd set of shots I will have the pain relief I am looking for. I would recommend to anyone give this a try before you have total knee replacement."

COASTJAM July 8, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I was told at 32 I needed a knee replacement in both knees due to a birth defect in both knees. A group of doctors wanted to try this new drug on me. At the time it was a series of 5 shots. I could barely walk and was in a lot of pain. Couldn't get out of my car and was being shocked so bad I was being thrown to the floor. I tried the injections (which isn't pleasant ) but what a blessing. The pain stopped after the 3 shot and I was back to doing all the things I loved. They lasted about 2 1/2 to 3 years. I am 52 now and about to take another round of the miracle shots. Last ones kept me going almost 4 years. Thank you for creating it."

Mybaby 64 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I just had my first injection both knees a few days ago. When I came home from the clinic, I ran down to the basement to get something and noticed right away my knees felt better. I had really bothersome aching in my knees at night, that is gone. So far, I am very impressed."

former nurse (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

Monovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Monovisc combined with PT has significantly improved my knees after injuring an old torn meniscus. Arthritis was diagnosed as well on the MRI. Dr would not operate! I get injections every 4 months and pain is very rare...ice needed occasionally. Thinking of using it in my shoulder after RC surgery. Other shoulder has partial tear. Anybody have any ideas on this?"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Had severe Osteo srthritis in right ankle. Could barely walk. Took three orthovisc shots over 3 week period in ankle (paid out of pocket as this isn't fda approved yet). Extremely effective. All pain went away for 6 months."

Cb101 April 5, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "As a 64 yr old female I was having severe pain and stiffness in both knees due to advanced osteoarthritis. Ortho doc recommended a series of 4 weekly Orthovisc injections in both knees. For me, the shots were very painful. There was no improvement until after the 3rd week. I am now 1 wk. post the 4th and final shots and have greatly decreased pain. I now can exercise regularly without pain. The only difficulty I still have is walking up and down stairs. I highly recommended the orthovisc injection treatment."

Janisj April 3, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Recently was told I needed both knees replaced but should try 4 Orthovisc injections. Had 3 so far beginning 3 weeks ago. First shot alleviated severe day to day walking pain. Am waiting to see if my condition improves much beyond where it is after all 4. Had no pain or swelling with any shots"

Squasher (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "11-23-15 I got shot #1of Orthovisc. The shot itself was not painful, but afterwards the pain became intense. There was swelling, redness at the injection site and at times, excruciating pain. 11-30-15 I was given a cortisone shot to get the reaction under control. 12-3-15 I got shot #2. The injection wasn't painful but afterwards was horrible. There was redness at the injection site; swelling from the thigh to the ankle; fatigue; weakness; mild edema; pain body-wide, with arthritis type pain in my joints and the excruciating pain in the knee. 12-7-15 Given a prescription for Prednisone. Did not receive shot #3. Finally, the last couple of days I can say the symptoms are about half gone. 1-29-16 Do your research."

Suze13 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I had a torn meniscus and surgery was necessary. When they went into the knee I was told the knee was full of arthritis and the physician had to clean the knee out leaving bone on bone. They suggested Orthovisc which I agreed. It has been two weeks since the third injection and I am in more pain then ever. I have no relief at all, living on anti-inflammatories with little benefit. I am really hoping for relief soon because I am confined to bed with ice packs."

Pwslvr1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Not very good"

Geri M (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Love this treatment! I had immediate relief and no side effects. Shots were painless. It's been 3 years since my last series of Orthovisc. I'm back to exercising with no knee pain."

PMMqt January 23, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I had my first of three injections of Orthovisc yesterday (1/14/16) into my left knee. The physician numbed the skin and injected the lubricant. I did not experience any discomfort. The day after the injection I have not experienced any negative side effects. The overall effectiveness of Orthovisc is still up in the air but I'm eager to keep moving forward with the treatment. I will post again after completing the three injections."

Maine Man (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I've been getting the injections in both knees for several years from my Ortho and have experienced some relief from the pain in my knees. Both the doctors and MA's on staff are extremely proficient in performing the procedures and I have never had any discomfort during the procedure. I have also been diagnosed with "end-osteoarthritis" in both shoulders and look forward to receiving the injections to either put an end to or reduce the pain that I experience."

Rock-a-billy willy January 1, 2016

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I was in so much pain from my knees with arthritis, bone rubbing on bone - I had my first set of injections in April. I took a month or so to really fell the effects. No more pain and swelling when standing and doing house cleaning, etc. I had the second set 6 months later. I can go up and down stairs. I can do house work, gardening, and shopping with minimal pain. Best thing I ever did for myself."

greatful December 4, 2015

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I don't know if this has anything to do with orthovisc, but I have had continual shortness of breath, exhaustion and waves of nausea, especially following the second dose (I had 4). These symptoms have continued for weeks and the hospital and doctors can find no other cause."

betsy3828 December 3, 2015

For Osteoarthritis: "I had my third and final shot of Synvis on November 16, 2015 within seven days the pain has become much more severe sciatic pain going up my back in the back of my knee was in severe pain also I had more trouble walking and going up the stairs after the final shot then before my knee surgery . I wake up at night with pain going up my back thru my knees and ankles with numbness tingling and much worse walking ability then before or after my surgery which was in early Sept. It is been two months now since I had my surgery and I have had three Synvis shots what a mistake my biggest error was not doing my research on this drug or whatever it is they shoot into your knee before I had the shots done . well I can say is beware of Synvis."

Karendonofrio4 November 29, 2015

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I had my third shot on Nov. 11. So far, I am not impressed. Getting the shots did not hurt at all. Just a pinch and I felt the fluid go in a little bit. Not a problem. I have no relief at all as of yet. My doctor did say that it can take up to a month after the third shot, which will be Dec. 11. I really hope that he is correct. My pain level is at least a 5 every day, and once a day shoots up to a 10. This is all after having surgery to repair a torn meniscus. My next course of action is total knee replacement. At 54, I did not expect this to happen. I am so disgusted. Just praying that the shots kick in soon. Not happy at this point."

Maria A. November 19, 2015

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "My knees were so bad I could barely walk around the office without limping. I had cortisone shots in both knees, which helped, but the Orthovisc treatment has been remarkable. A very noticeable improvement: I am much more able to walk, stay on my feet for hours, work in the yard, etc. As many others have commented, the first injections (one in each knee) were painful and left me limping. The three remaining injections, however, were painless. I don't know how long the impact will last, but so far, so good. The only downside is the cost. I have a high-deductible plan, and I ended up paying over $1,000 for the treatment. I hope I do not have to do this more than once a year at the most."

PhotoJack45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "The pain has got worse in both knees I have a hard time walking, standing even sitting too long. I wake up thru the night in pain I had only small amount of back pain thru the injection and some headaches which all stop 2/3 days after injection. But the pain has been going on for 6 weeks with no relief"

yrrehs November 15, 2015

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Just had first injection (both knees) For the third series of orthovisc. The first injection is always the worst- more painful and I feel lazy the remainder of the day. I recommend getting the shots at the end of the day vs first thing in the morning if you can. The shots have been amazing for me. I am able to ski, ride my dirt bike, hike with very little, if any, discomfort the majority of the time. Walking up and down stairs is no longer an excruciating experience."

Tskiride (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 9, 2015

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "This is my third round of orthovisc. My great fear was the pain during the injections as well as after. I got the first round last Monday. The first knee was killer! For the other knee she used lidocaine type medicine and then the orthovisc. Easy peazy!!!!! I am eager to get back on my bike and ride until winter gives me no choice but to stay indoors. I am grateful for orthovisc. I've had 3 years of success - although I do NOT recommend waiting a year between treatments. It was a bad decision for me."

Ydehoyos (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 8, 2015

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Unfortunately, the 3 injections in my knee have done nothing to alleviate the pain, in fact, it is 3 weeks after all shots & my knee is slightly worse than before. I am hoping that by 6 months, when it wears off for those who experienced excellent results, for me, it will be back to "normal". Perhaps another brand will work better for me. The 1st shot did not hurt at all, but after 2 days, it became very painful, so much so I could not sleep. It did finally settle down, but I did consider not finishing the shots at all. 2nd was somewhat painful and left a small bruise. The third was just a little painful. Before the shots, I wore a knee brace during the day & do that now, too My doctor says I am not a candidate for replacement surgery."

JC19999 September 17, 2015