User Reviews for Hyaluronan

Osteoarthritis
6.5

Summary of Hyaluronan reviews 6.5 146 reviews

Reviews for Hyaluronan

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I was sedentary after unsuccessful rotator cuff surgery and next thing I know my right knee is throbbing. Pain that would wake me out of sound sleep. Trouble walking. Some days better than others. I had meniscus tear repaired 15 yrs earlier. Figured worst case another scope. After MRI they say I’m bone on bone and potential candidate for replacement. Next was Cortisone which did nothing. Then tried the 3 orthotics injections 1 week apart. Injections with numbing injection first were not bad at all. The knee felt unstable after each injection and relief really didn’t start until about 3 weeks after last injection. It’s 15 months since and my knee has been holding up well. Occasional issues with very heavy use like 6-8 hours of moving up and downstairs. Not sure I could be trusted to go on a 4-6 hour hike but you have to adjust your lifestyle. I’m shocked to hear people had pain with injection and I can only think they didn’t get the lidocaine injection first."

Tomo (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Removing excess fluid and prednisone was much more effective. This had no effect."

Elcheapofl (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Spent last summer in physical therapy to no avail. I have since learned that physical therapy just builds up the muscles AROUND the knee to help stabilize it. After much thought, pain and more thought, decided to try the Orthovisc injections. Started with the first injection third week of October, 2017 and had last, third, first week of November, 2017, It is now July, 2018 and still seems to be working. The injections stabilized the knee and I have been almost pain free. The only reason I did not give this injection a 10 was they were quite uncomfortable to get!!"

JES (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2018

Monovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Had my first monovisc shot, which was also my first gel shot ever. It didn’t hurt too much to get. Six hours after I got the shot I was in the ER with feet Mickey Mouse would have envied, having an asthma attack and with my throat partially swollen shut. It was not fun times. Worse, after a week of pain but decidedly less creaking, my knees hurt worse than ever, and now when they buckle the pain is excruciating for hours instead of a few seconds like before. It’s truly miserable. My allergist said there’s no data on allergies to monovisc, but that is all I can think it was since everything started an hour after the shot and deteriorated rapidly."

DragonCaneLady (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2018

Monovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I got a painless shot at the end of March 2018, and I had relief for about a month. Since then (June), my knee has steadily worsen...pain, stiffness, waking up at night to apply an ice pack."

alex (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I am 43 need both knees replaced. I had both knees done with this treatment and this has been the worst. I can barely walk, sit or stand after these injections. I can’t sleep I try walk but too much pain. I have been out of work for 3 years now my doctor say next step is replacement and disability which will be hard for me to get because of my age????? Crazy when I’ve worked all my life DON'T really know what move to make now"

Shariece (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 14, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Felt better almost immediately. Been dealing with knee pain for 10+ years. Done many things: cortisone, orthoscopic, PT and nothing worked until this. Shots were not painful at all, but in my left knee the gel hurt more than the right, but it’s possible since that knee is more of a mess with excess fluid that there may be a correlation. Hopefully I’ll be able to start running for the first time in years. I had a great sports med orthoped who really knew what I needed. Of course I went to 3 others prior"

Gabg (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2018

For Osteoarthritis: "Hyaluronan is an exceptional medication ! Have had 2 rounds of this over the last 5 years, and it gives relief for approx. 6 months. These injections have prevented me from needing to get 2 knee replacements. I do not want the surgery due to down time and mandatory PT."

stevie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I'm 45 and have been told I will eventually need a double knee replacement. Had a meniscus tear repair on my right knee a year ago ( knee still hurts) and now have a tear in my left knee. Cortisone injections didn't last. Finished my last shot of a series of 3 Orthovisc last Friday (injections were very painful), and I have no relief at all. I would say since getting the shots my knees are worse. I can't stand more than 5 minutes without them both hurting terribly, lots of swelling and trouble sleeping. I've been told it can take up to 6 weeks for the shots to provide relief, I'm hoping I see relief sooner than that."

Chip (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2018

Monovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I received the Monovisc shot today 05/09 didn't hurt one bit. 2 1/2 hrs later. I was driving my car my knee started hurting it got worse as 15 minutes went by. Within 45 min. I couldn't walk at all. Called my doctor, he said he might have ruptured a vein with the needle. This started at 2pm this afternoon. It's now 10 pm I have had the leg elevated since 3pm I still can't walk and in extreme pain!! Going back to see Dr. tomorrow. This better get better : ("

Kitty May 10, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I was excited to try this new medication I originally had a cortisone injection. Then I had three separate Orthovisc injections 3 weeks apart. Unfortunately I did not see any difference in my pain or ability to walk. I had arthroscopic surgery nearly nine months ago which did not help with my knee pain either."

Diane (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I am in my mid 50’s and very active, participating in 4-5 Triathlon events per year, including the Ironman 70.3. Severe knee pain after a recent 1/2 Marathon was eased by the first of four scheduled injections aimed at relieving stress behind the kneecap from arthritis. So far, after one treatment , so good; back to running pain free !"

CBH April 20, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Awesome experience with this drug. I have advanced osteoarthritis at 38 years old and I’m super active. My doc suggested a series of three shots. I’m on shot two and feeling great. The shot did not hurt me at all. I would encourage to seek out the best injector at your practice. They make all the difference. Also relax when receiving the injection."

Lauren (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I have two shots two weeks in a row. First one I felt relief in about 3-4 days. My second shot was nearly a week ago and I am in pain around the area of the injection. If this pain was gone I’d be feeling much better than 2 weeks ago. Not sure if the injection was too soon after the first or if I tensed up or some other reason. The area above my knee cap is swollen and the area around the injection site is a bit inflamed and tender. Wondering if anyone has had this issue. My next shot is in a week and considering waiting longer."

Hiera April 1, 2018

For Osteoarthritis: "I had 1 monovisc injection in both knees 2 months ago for osteoarthritis. My knees are more painful than ever."

Ellen (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

Monovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I would not recommend Monovisc. I'm 37 years old with significant OA in my knee, and it started with a bone chip injury when I was 21. The injection itself was painful enough to make me cry, and I'm not a crier. (note to Orthopedics - cold spray before injection does NOTHING!!) I experienced extreme pain in the 2 weeks following the injection. Four and a half months later, my knee is worse than it was before - more acute pain, joint feels weaker, and I need to rest and wear my knee brace more often. I love to be active, and OA hinders this. :-("

AundreaR (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2018

Monovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Had pain relief within in a couple days and it lasted for about 5 1/2 months. I'm now waiting for 2nd shot scheduled next week."

gramps (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

Monovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Drug was painless with no swelling after first injection but wore off in 4 months. SynviscOne lasts 6 months. I will return to that despite pain & swelling the first day of treatment."

Arno (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Both knees are arthritic. I had 4 injections of orthovisc and I continue to experience pain. I previously had synvisc injections which did give me 6 months of pain free knees. Sorry that I did not get synvisc again."

lunamaya February 12, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "orthovisc is like any injection: the injector is the key; not every doctor, esp. a pa. is a great injector; I had horrible knee pain at night, took MRI, had a torn miniscus, flap tear and I guess some arthritis; anyway, did my 4 injections with great orthopod, who uses ultra sound guidance while injecting; as I remember, the first round of 4 was ok; had a 2nd round of 4 and have been totally pain free for over 3 years. So thats my story. Be very, very careful about the dr. you are working with. Read the above about the man with bone on bone; my girlfiriend, after surgery was bone on bone and was told she would never play tennis again; she went on orthovisc for the last nine years , and is still playing singles. She is 73."

gfoell February 9, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Was diagnosed with osteo arthritis in my right knee last March I started with physiotherapy which only aggravated it, then tried injection of cortisone which only made it about 40 percent better for no more than 3 weeks. Last week received orthovisc and to my surprise doctor administered all three in one shot saying studies have shown no difference in 3 different sessions or all at once (I wasn't going to argue she went to med school not me) so I did it an unfortunately 10 days later I don't feel any better at all it's as if I never went. Hoping that this kicks in but losing hope. Worse pain of all is when driving!!"

Subc (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2018

Monovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Amazing result for my OE knee . I have severe osteoarthritis in my knee do to ACL . I received one full dose of 20 mg injection on January 2nd, 2018 . I went to fracture clinic in hospital to receive injection . Treatment wasn't painful at all . After 2 days of resting and applying ice on my knee , all my old pain and discomfort was gone . I wish that I knew about Monovisc much earlier . It is nice to live without pain again . I just hope that will lost at least six months."

Bennie M January 13, 2018

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "Had series of three shots in right knee last one 11/9/2017. The shots stabilized my knee, but I was left with one "area" of the knee that was tender; however, I could take walks in our hilly neighbourhood, go to the grocery store without pain and generally get on with my life. It is now 1/1/18 and the that pesky "area" is hurting more. I am now using the RX NSAID on a fairly regular basis and icing the knee every night. I have to say, I am disappointed - to say the least -. It felt really empowering to be able to walk again"

Nelly4819 January 1, 2018

Hymovis (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I had an injection of Hymovis after hurting my knee. I had only one injection because my knee became more painful and swollen after the injection. I have lost a significant amount of mobility and strength in the knee after the injection. I should never have had the injection of Hymovis. I can’t sleep walk far, use the stairs. I was in good shape and weight prior to this mess."

Jacd December 23, 2017

Orthovisc (hyaluronan) for Osteoarthritis: "I got my last of 4 orthovisc injections 4 days ago, the 1st two injections didn't even feel, the 3rd was intense and painful and the 4th even more intense and I felt the Dr. Moving the needle, he said he was having a hard time finding the spot! Very very intense. But I made it. Note after 2nd shot and right before the 3rd shot was walking better, and bending knee and no pain. After 3rd and 4th still have the issue of not bending knee when I walk and TAKING Ibuprofen 800mg 2 times a day. I have 2 tears in my left meniscus and bone spurs and a bakers cysts, also have osteoarthritis ! Doctor has been saying total knee replacement right from the start. I am at times walking better and the pain only really hurts when I am due for next meds"

debilyne (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2017