User Reviews for Hyaluronan to treat Osteoarthritis

Also known as: Orthovisc, Monovisc, Hymovis

Hyaluronan has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 218 ratings for the treatment of Osteoarthritis. 54% of those users who reviewed Hyaluronan reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Hyaluronan Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 183 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Hyaluronan

Cahiemk · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2021

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I am 65 years old and have had Orthovisc injections for over five years now. I have osteoarthritis of my left knee especially of the patella. These injections have helped far better than Cortisone injections.”

ctirish · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 8, 2021

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “Three years ago Orthovisc improved my life. I hadn't realized how sedentary I had become from the pain. I found that walking every day was needed to keep the knee supple. In the past year the pain has returned and increased so I'll be having the injecrtions again.”

Savanna3313 June 6, 2021

Monovisc (hyaluronan): “I've tried knee injections for over 5 years now. My orthopedic surgeon initially started me on Synvisc. I never had much relief and it was short-lived. Fast forward to this past week, and my new orthopedic surgeon used Monovisc on me. Right knee injection - I felt absolutely zero pain. Left knee, I felt heavy pressure, but not something I couldn't handle. Using the numbing spray before the initial shot was all I needed. I felt zero pain. So far, so good. I feel a lot better, but I'm still waiting for a more "stable" feel from my knees - especially my right one. It's comforting to know that some folks on here state that it takes a week or more to have the full benefit from the injections. Looking forward to feeling "normal" again!”

kmm · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2021

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “3rd injection of Orthovisc on 2-8-2021. Today and everyday for the last week I wake up and can barely walk. Have to carefully navigate up and down stairs. 62 YO Male - always consider myself healthy and active. Knee was getting worse and slowing me a bit. Now I am distressed by the lack of improvement, and actually being worse off. Calling doctor tomorrow to see what is up.”

Burk March 7, 2021

Monovisc (hyaluronan): “I had a monovisc injvection almost 3 years ago after being told by my first doctor I needed knee replacement. I went for a second opinion from a very highly rated specialist. He ask me what made me think I would be better off with a knee replacement. Then he suggested I take the full dose of monovisc not smaller ones. He also explained that this only helps 50-60% of the people who take it. I am happy to say it has helped me.”

Grt8woman · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 6, 2020

Monovisc (hyaluronan): “I had my first Monovisc injection September 2019, my second was due in March 2020, then COVID hit. Finally able to have injections the second time in May 2020. These injections have been great for both knees. I am bone on bone in right knee. I went to two different Orthopedic Surgeons before having the injections. Both recommended getting them and I am so happy I did. No pain, no issues with the injections and they help! I will continue with the Monovisc injections until I can't have them or they don't work. Both surgeons said I can continue these until they don't work, some patients continue and never need knee replacement. Wouldn't that be great. It's a big yes vote from me.”

Shel · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2021

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I’m 52. I had my first injection of 3 today. It was not a terribly painful injection. But.... instantly I could not walk. I stayed in the room for quite some time. I then somehow waddled out to the waiting room. I realized then I parked my car very far from the front door. It was the worst pain my knee has ever felt. I’ve had a left total knee done and this pain today... way worse than after surgery pain. So it’s evening now. I’ve wrapped it, icing it, doing next to nothing because I cannot put any sort of weight in it without having extreme pain. Even now resting it... incredibly painful. I sure hope I’ve done the right thing.”

Jenna · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2019

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I have had bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in both knees for about 4 years. On disability. The pain without an anti-inflammatory is unbearable. Cannot walk. Refuse to take opioids. I take 2400 mg of Ibuprofen every day. Really worried about continued use of that amount - my poor stomacch. I Got my 1st Orthovisc injection in both knees 4 days ago, hte injections were nearly pain free, but the result is now I can barely walk. I seemed to be having improvement of about 25% the first couple of days, though the injection site was sore. But over the past 24 hours my worst knee is much more painful and worse than it was before I went. It feels like the gel did not reach the inside of my knee, where my damage is. I am going back Tuesday for the 2nd shot but before I do, I am talking with the doctor. This is terrible. Just terrible. The pain from Orthovisc is constant and nothing helps. Has anyone else experienced this?”

Catch · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2019

Monovisc (hyaluronan): “The injection itself is painful, for sure, and I had my doubts the first few days afterwards when my knee pain was not improved, and seemed to be occurring in different areas than before, like back of the knee. But now I am 10 days post-injection and am in so much less pain, and able to walk, stand and even sit more comfortably. Hoping it lasts a decent amount of time! Cortisone only worked for 10 days for me.”

Peep · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 10, 2019

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I am going in for my second shot of Orthovisc for both knees. I was extremely skeptical about it but gave it a try since the cortisone treatments only lasted for a few months. My first round of shots of Orthovisc were fantastic! I felt relief in a short space of time. No more concrete-like heaviness in the knees or crackling and shooting pain, except in the winter. Mine were in a lot of pain due to fibromyalgia, osteo arthritis, plus a car accident where they got smushed between two cars. So there was A LOT to the pain. Orthovisc worked wonders for me, personally. Plus it has been helpful for 1-2 years. I can't remember how long it's been, but it's been quite awhile, maybe even 3 years. I hope the second round works as well as the first did. And that everyone using it will find similar relief in it.”

GYoonit · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2019

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “27 yrs old. ACL reconstruction in left knee (quad tendon graft). Recently diagnosed with OA. Pain and stiffness was getting worse by the day as I have been increasing my activity for the past year playing basketball. I am currently on my second injection and have been pain free ever since the first injection. My knee has become much more flexible and even stronger. No more crunchiness and stiffness. Orthovisc as simply been amazing and even life-changing for me.”

Sue · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 27, 2019

Monovisc (hyaluronan): “This can take up to 12 weeks to work which is the case with me. It gets worse before it starts to feel better. Your joint will be inflamed and I ain't going to lie, relief is NOT immediate. My doctor told me it takes up to 6-8 weeks to work but from what I read online it can take 8-12 weeks. I had a bakers cyst behind my knee-I noticed it started to feel better a couple of weeks after the injection. Seriously, a couple of days ago I couldn't move my knee at all but now it moves so easily and practically no pain. It was like a miracle.”

Avoiding bilateral total knee · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 7, 2020

Monovisc (hyaluronan): “Started Monovisc about 2 years ago when the bone on bone created spurs that were catching on nerves (Not fun) My ortho doc said bilateral total knee was my only option but, knee appliances don't last forever and I didn't want a revision (take it out insert another) in 20 years. Since I am "only 50" I would need another knee around 70 so I am trying to get as much time as I can. I switched docs. My new doc agreed I was young for TKR and put me on monovisc. AMAZING! I have had zero knee problems with monovisc. Beware ins companies switching you off monovisc to duralane instead. its HORRIBLE and has me bed bound right now in excruciating pain. If you are on monovisc fight to stay on it.”

Alston · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I am 74 years old, bone-on-bone both knees. Three years ago my fight leg kept collapsing, I couldn't walk down subway steps, etc. I started orthovisc shots in Right knee and just added left knee.. I can now do squats and lunges, etc (which they said would be totally impossible) with no pain thanks to orthovisc shots every 6 months and regular exercise to build up muscles around the joints.”

Bel · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 5, 2021

Monovisc (hyaluronan): “When I first started with debilitating arthritis in my right knee my Orthopedic doctor tried a cortisone injection, it was useless. I went back and he did a Monovisc Injection, what a life saver, I got relief immediately that was in 2019. I only have to go once a year for injections as the benefit of being pain free lasts that long. As of now getting injections on both my knees, I have done these injections for three years now. As long as I can continue getting Monovisc my preferred remedy I will, as knee surgery is out of the question for me. Love Monovisc!”

Mare · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 11, 2019

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I'm 72 with bone on bone osteoarthritis in my knees. Orthovisc has been a miracle for me - I got THREE YEARS of relief! I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I feel like a really lucky girl that it works for me. Good luck, everyone!”

boopah · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2014

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I was just diagnosed with osteoarthritis and had surgery to fix meniscus tear. Osteoarthritis is bone on bone, tibia and femur, on the outside of my left knee. Probably due to trauma playing soccer. I am 45 year old women. Played soccer since 3rd grade, high school, college and after. Since 2000 I've mainly only run. Jan 22, 2014 was my surgery. Just over a month after my surgery, I had my first injection. I did not say anything to anyone because I surprised at how much better the knee felt. Normally just walking I would have sharp pain on the outside of knee, after shot, I did not feel this. On day two after shot, I walked for exercise over 3 miles and my knee felt great. I hope the next 2 injections go just as well and hope this pain free feeling lasts.”

Sherry · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2020

Monovisc (hyaluronan): “I wrote on here about the Monovisc shots in November. Yesterday I saw a top Orthopedic Surgeon, who is a knee specialist. First thing after looking at me with all of the empathy and sympathy I have ever had a doctor look at me.... He said, "Whatever you do, NEVER let anyone give you a shot like this ever again! You can have cortisone shots.... that is it!" I have gone through raving nightmares with my knees and the after effects with Monovisc!!! Then the problems went into my back. OMG! I hope that no one ever has to go through this ever again. I feel like suing the makers of Monovisc and the sports medicine doctor who gave them to me.... who refused to see me after I called about having been rendered unable to walk at all during some of the toughest times I have ever had in my life!!!! Please heed this warning of the specialist I saw!!! I was scared as I could barely take care of myself!!!!”

Amazedgurl · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2012

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I have osteoarthritis in both knees. I had a torn meniscus repaired in my left knee a year ago. My knees were killing me. The surgery provided some relief but they both hurt constantly and going upstairs or an incline was awful! I had my first of 3 injections last week. The shot was uncomfortable but bearable. My knees hurt pretty bad for the first few days after the shot. Now almost a week later my knees feel so much better. It's unbelievable. I had learned to deal with pain when I stood from sitting and pain when I sat down! To not feel the pain when I stand is amazing! I highly recommend the injections!”

Al June 19, 2019

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “Started the series of 3 injections in each knee last November, I am in June , 8 months later, I felt a twinge a couple of times and have started the next series, it really has helped to ease the pain in my knees, I probably could go a month or so longer but why wait till the pain gets bad...For me personally it has been a godsend..”

Josh D. · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2013

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “At age 72 I had 4 weekly shots of Orthovisc on both, bone-to-bone knees. During the first 45 minutes after injection the knees feel like brand new again. Then, it wears off. But..after 2 weeks upon completion of the 4 shots, my knees feel wonderful. An amazing treatment, give it some time to really start working.”

Trudy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 13, 2021

Monovisc (hyaluronan): “Tore first meniscus in 2011--dog knocked me down. First orthopedist offered nothing - she likes surgery. Second offered cortisone--no help. Third offered orthovisc and I had a great experience for 8 years. Tore my good knee (meniscus and muscles) when Medicare would not let me get injection a month early. Treated the injured knee immediately with Orthovisc and it helped a lot. Makes a big difference in how the provider administers the injection. Lost my best injection giver and went to her boss (ortho surg) who did awesome and talked me into Monovisc. Relief is slower than with the 3 shots -- it has been 3 weeks but I am still hopeful. Vastly better than cortisone, nothing, or Synvisc (which did nothing). Have seen too many patients suffering after knee surgery--I will stick with Mono or Orthovisc.”

greatful December 4, 2015

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I was in so much pain from my knees with arthritis, bone rubbing on bone - I had my first set of injections in April. I took a month or so to really fell the effects. No more pain and swelling when standing and doing house cleaning, etc. I had the second set 6 months later. I can go up and down stairs. I can do house work, gardening, and shopping with minimal pain. Best thing I ever did for myself.”

Mightyquinn · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 23, 2020

Hymovis (hyaluronan): “I have been given Hymovis injections for a year and 7 months with great success. The two injections are given one week apart. The only negative is that I do experience pain, swelling and stiffness after the injections for a short while. It gets better every day. After about 4-5 weeks, after my last injection, I walk normal. No pain, no swelling, no stiffness for 6 months or longer. I can walk normal! I always go back to see my doctor when I feel any discomfort with my knee. I have found that if I go in to the doctor with less pain, then the pain after my injection is not as bad. Hymovis has saved me from having a much dreaded surgery. It’s great to have a treatment that works!!”

SB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 12, 2020

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I’m at 70-year-old woman who a year ago could not walk down stairs normally or bend my knee 90° because of a bone on bone patella. I first had a Cortisone injection which lasted about a month and then went to three injections of Orthovisc. Because the doc first numbed my knee with lidocaine I barely felt the injections under my kneecap. The relief has been tremendous! I must admit I did this in conjunction with physical therapy to increase range of motion and a lot of overall strength training. So I’m not sure what has been the most beneficial. All I know is I can now go down stairs normally, walk without pain, have better range of motion, and can run agility again with my dog. Thank goodness for Medicare which covers it!”

Maimi · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I am so sorry I got these injections! It's been 6 weeks since the third and last injection of Orthovisc, and my knee is hurting significantly more than before the injection. I now have to take as many as allowed advil and ultram to try to get by. My knee throbs and swollen and stiff. I can hardly walk. I am going Thursday to get cortisone injections and then I have to wait 90 days to do my right knee replace. Never did that before the injections. MUCH WORSE and bigger area of pain This drug should be banned!"”

cicci · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 9, 2012

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “I am a72 year old woman previously very active hiking daily, yoga daily. I fell and tore minuscus in three places...4 doctors have told me to do knee replacements...however I have chosen to do Orthovisc 4 shots every 6 months....as long as I do strengthening exercise I am 90% pain free..however cannot hike hills or mountains and yoga is limited...but can swim and bicycle..Since I know so many with complications from knee surgeries....I will continue on this route. Mind you I lead a very full life and on my feet at least 9 hours a day....”

Red G September 24, 2014

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): “While doing a twist in Zumba in January I felt a pop and terrible pain in my knee. I was in great pain when walking, for a month, with a knee I have never had a problem with. When I went to the orthopedic Dr he told me I was bone on bone and a candidate for knee surgery. I am 68 yrs old, very active and have never been overweight, I was shocked at the diagnosis. Cortisone gave me no relief. Starting in March I had one injection for 4 weeks, with minimal relief. A month after the last shot (middle of May) I got out of bed with 90% relief and a bit more improvement for 5 to 6 days. It is now 5 months and I am almost pain free! I will have this again when it wears off.”

Learn more about Osteoarthritis