User Reviews for Hyaluronan

Also known as: Hymovis, Monovisc, Orthovisc

Learn more about Hyaluronan.

Hyaluronan Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 235 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Hyaluronan to treat Osteoarthritis

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "Just had my 3rd shot last week, noticing some relief but not what I thought. Going to give it some time. Hope it helps. The pain still wakes me at night and I'm always stiff."

Packmom March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "Just had my second injection yesterday. After the first injection I was somewhat sore and knee was swollen, however, since yesterday soreness has retreated and swelling has subsided. Feels good. It takes, as I understand it, 4-6 weeks to take full effect. So, we will see, but so far so good."

Capt Larry (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Today was my third set of injections in both knees since 2015. I opted for the one shot dosage as opposed to a series of 3 (why would you want to get stabbed 3 times instead of 1???) Like night and day. Dr. said he's had patients do this for 10 years to avoid knee surgery. He also advised that when the shots don't work and it is affecting my quality of life, then it is time for the surgery. So far this has been a God-send. First time it lasted 6 months, second time almost a year."

Katydoes (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "It's been 5 weeks since the last shot in a series of 4 Orthovisc injections for my torn meniscus. My right knee is now super swollen, and my pain is now Twice as bad as before the injections!! I drug myself up to get to sleep, but I am awoken each night/morning with excruciating pain!! I don't know what the heck went wrong! I'm only 47, with bone on bone, arthritis, etc. Had surgery to repair meniscus, but it was torn again! Only "fix" the doctor's say is a total knee replacement. Trying to push it back till I'm older, but I've had problems with this Knee since 2008!!! Can't take it anymore! Am I supposed to keep waiting for something to happen miraculously? I ice it daily, exercise, stretching, hot tub, etc. Any advice would be great!"

CarlSims (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "Finally after years of pain, inflammation and not being able to bend my knee...my Dr. Suggested Orthovisc. He explained to me what is was, what it's for, what to expect and without a doubt I said yes! After being so miserable for so long I figured I had nothing to lose. After the first injection I had relief, finally! It was tender for the first day, after that..it was fine. I completed the 3 week regimen and I'm so glad I went for it! My knee feels great!!! I'm going for the other one starting next week. Thank you Orthovisc and Thank you to my Dr. No pain, I can bed and walk pain free!"

Bernie P. January 25, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "It was wonderful. I was able to enjoy my summer, run, walk with little to no pain at all. It lasted longer than the other shots I received. It lasted 7 months."

Amjajamomma (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "I received one injection in both knees for four weeks a month ago. Have RA, OA and had tibia plateau fixation in both legs in 2009 after a car hit me. The injections DID NOT give me any kind of pain relief AT ALL. As a matter of fact today, my right knee feels worse than before the injections because it's hurting even though I didn't walk or stand up…"

Antuca December 10, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "Last year had four injections in my right knee in Nov. It took a good 3 weeks after my 4th shot to be pain free. It's a year later and needed to start the injections in my left knee. I have already started to feel some relief. I did not let the second knee get as bad before seeking this treatment. I'm back to tennis and will Pickleball soon. I did start to feel some discomfort in my right knee again so will most likely start injections in that knee after the first of the year. Sure worth a try. BESURE TO DO YOUR PT EXERCISES DAILY. I'm 66 so good luck!!"

FL SueP December 5, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "I got three injections, a week apart. The first two didn't hurt at all, but I got the third one from a different doctor and it hurt. After the first injection, my knee felt swollen on the inside and stiff, it got worse with each new injection. I used to have pain pretty much only when I went on the stairs or twisted the wrong way. Now it feels swollen in the joint and on my leg from a few inches above the knee to a few inches below the knee. Like I am wearing a super tight bandage. The pain has increased to the point it is really painful to go up or down the stairs and even at night lying in bed, it's hard to find a comfortable position because it feels like someone is drilling into my knee."

Linda B. (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "I got my first injection today , no discomfort at ALL with the injection !!! My knee is already feeling better , I drive a stick shift , and I had no pain driving today !! I'm very hopeful this gives me relief!!"

yogabutter (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "I have now had these injections 2 times. They are a miracle. I used to be an avid runner and now bone to bone. Even with the injections, I don't run anymore but can bike and basically be without excruciating pain that I was in."

Slages (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Monovisc (hyaluronan): "About 11 months ago I received the single dose Monovisc. It was painful to receive the shot and the pressure was great as it was injected. It took about 3 weeks for me to feel better. Before the shot I had a high level of constant pain from bone-on-bone on the outer edge of my knee. A pocket of fluid had formed on the outside for weeks and I had been waking up with knee pain during the night for quite some time. This greatly improved my knee pain. It didn't take me to 0 pain but definitely reduced it. About 5 weeks ago, I felt the pain creeping up, the fluid forming and began to wake up during the night on occasion. I called the doctor and scheduled the next one, which I'll get in a few days. Better than pain or surgery!"

Library Lady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 8, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "Pain in joints,,nausea,abd. Pain"

Sadie blossoms November 7, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "Had my fourth and final shot 3 days ago. Walked 2.25 miles this morning about 95% pain free. I was told it does take time to get the full effect, and I sense it is really starting to kick in. Hopeful and grateful."

Capt Frank October 28, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "I received my first set a year ago as I have no kneecap. Afterwards I was able to do physical therapy. I was able to do excersise that I hadn't done since I was a child. This medication lasted a year. I started to feel the same pain about a month or so ago. I contacted my Dr and we are doing it again. This injection has made such a difference in my life. I am very grateful for it."

Melissa cosson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"No severe pain, but constant ache in both knees, especially at night. Relief within first week. First pain free sleep in 3 years. Completed 3 weekly injections and still enjoying full night sleep. Hope it lasts. Will update in 6 months."

Clee8675309 October 20, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "Due to financial burden with the office visit copays ,I had no alternative other than to receive the three weeks of Orthovics all in one day for both knees ,I'm in escrutiating pain !,Has anyone experience the same when all administereD not only was it just one knee it was both !! How long does this pressure, stiffness last. Overall I can't feel any difference yet on my bone on bone pain .Hoping I can say later down the road that it has helped .I almost wanted to pass out I had received numbing med and spray as well it was brutal! !"

YCAVAZOS861 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 14, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "I had these injections two years ago in my right knee i have been pain free ,but my left leg also started with the same symptoms recently so i went back to my doctor got my confirmation i was a candidate and i just finished my third injection today i must say its helped me regain 100% control again thank you so much..❤"

SNOW FLAKES September 29, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had surgery on both knees then the doctor said I need knee replacement. That was 10 years ago. When knees started to hurt I started on Synvisc one for a few years. Than my insurance wanted me to use a generic version gel one. Both of these drugs worked fine for my bone on bone for both knees. Than my insurance stopped paying for any more shots. I looked for another treatment plan that would cover my shots. Found another doctor was going to give me orthovisc. I started the shots in June. The shots are given 3 times rather than once by the other drugs but still last only 6 months. My next group of shots are for December. This drug works but takes almost 6 weeks for all of 3 shots . Great stuff does work hope my insurance pays for it."

Tiger7388 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "Not good, it's been a week since injection # 3 and my knee is worse and can hardly walk this morning. I have more swelling and the pain has gradually gotten worse with each injection. Waiting and hoping for delayed relief."

Savy (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "I've been getting Orthovisc knee injections for over 11 years, although not last year, 2015 due to no work time off. Recently moved to Charlottesville, VA and just had my 3rd, final, injection today, 8/4/2016 (good for 6 months). Found best orthopedic yet (I have a steel rod, torn ACL, no cartilage, bone on bone, bone spurs, left leg, started in '98 with broken tibia). The PA at UVA, Nick, best yet, yes stings, and you feel the pressure of additional fluid for first day. Well worth it and looking forward to wakeboarding next week, and longer hours on the slopes snowboarding this coming up ski season. Makes a huge difference, and has always. I'm 51, too young for full knee replacement, and not sure I want to go through that anyway."

CindyCsml (taken for 10 years or more) August 4, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "I obtained relief (from swelling, hot, painful knee joints) after religiously taking Glucosamine-chondroitin and calcium for six months, I kept this up with good results until pain returned May 2016.PCP referral to orthopedic surgeon who took x-rays of my hip & both knees & told me there was virtually no cartilage left, bone grinding against bone & bone spurs near both knees. I got Cortisone shot in in the one knee, then following week in the other w then after 2 weeks or so, started the orthovisc "gel" shots in my right knee--once per week for 4 weeks. The needle going into knee was not bad, but, pressure of gel filling knee was uncomfortable, but only for a few seconds. Excellent relief after the 3rd shot w/ good range of motion in knee."

15yearsw/OrthoArthritis (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "Did not work for my minimal OA! I was left with Orthovisc as my only alternative after my insurance company decided they would no longer cover Euflexxa which I used with great success for 4 years. I will now have to pay almost $1000 out of pocket for the better product, such a shame! Orthovisc gave me no relief at all; The Euflexxa I was getting 18 months on continuous relief."

DiveGerl July 22, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "Had my third shot today; bi-lateral. I have to say I have seen a major improvement in both knees. I would wake up at night and go to turn over, my lower leg would not move and my upper leg (above the knee) would pop and grind on the joint. When this happens now I can feel the upper and lower joints cushioned by the Orthovisc. I felt relief about 3 weeks after the first set of shots. I am confident that after the 3rd set of shots I will have the pain relief I am looking for. I would recommend to anyone give this a try before you have total knee replacement."

COASTJAM July 8, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Orthovisc (hyaluronan): "I was told at 32 I needed a knee replacement in both knees due to a birth defect in both knees. A group of doctors wanted to try this new drug on me. At the time it was a series of 5 shots. I could barely walk and was in a lot of pain. Couldn't get out of my car and was being shocked so bad I was being thrown to the floor. I tried the injections (which isn't pleasant ) but what a blessing. The pain stopped after the 3 shot and I was back to doing all the things I loved. They lasted about 2 1/2 to 3 years. I am 52 now and about to take another round of the miracle shots. Last ones kept me going almost 4 years. Thank you for creating it."

Mybaby 64 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2016