User Reviews for Neurontin

Epilepsy
7.5

Reviews for Neurontin

BigBoy · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 16, 2020

“Well I have been taking this drug Neurontin for 3 months. I use it for anxiety and sleep, the dose I use is 300mg a day 3x 100mg it has really helped me. I use a combination of klonopin and the gabapentin. I never take more then prescribed it has changed my life. It's a great medication.”

michael · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 25, 2020

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: “After having severe and painful shingles I am now on Neurontin 600 mg/day and my pain is as it was at the very beginning.”

Ajay · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 7, 2020

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: “Due to a loss of oxygen to my brain (hypoxia) and 2 minor strokes I have no feeling in my feet. My hands have some feeling, but only about 40%. Hands hurt really bad. Using Neurontin for 4 years. Pain is almost gone. I can flex my fingers. I take a high dose as I also have chronic neck and back pain. 800 mg 3x a day. I have had no side effects whatsoever. Very safe and effective.”

larenb7894 · Taken for 10 years or more May 24, 2012

For Anxiety: “Neurontin has changed my life dramatically. I suffered from high anxiety with panic and anxiety attacks. I started this medicine at about 19 and had been off and on it the past 13 years. It literally has made me a new person. When I don't use it I notice a lot of fatigue, worry, anxiety, etc. When I am using this medication, I can concentrate on the better side of things and am not so negative. In the beginning it did have some side effects such as a "loopy" feeling. Over time that did pass, and now gives me energy to get through the day. I am on 300mg 3 x day. I can also sleep much easier, and my carpal tunnel syndrome is dramatically better. Before I felt very snappy and impatient, now I handle things with a much more calm disposition. Love it.”

somewhatrelieved May 18, 2013

For Pain: “I've been on Neurotin for almost 4 months and it has given me relief for chronic pelvic pain. 300mg at night and 100mg mid-day was the initial dose and at present I'm on 300mg at night only. It has made the pain bearable however the side-effects have been lethargy, headaches, aching eyes, and dreaming so vivid it leaves me hung over. I'm hoping this will improve with time. It has helped with the pain.”

vviolet October 1, 2008

For Pain: “Do not be put off by initial dopey feelings you may get when you start this medicine. For me, these feelings diminished after a day or so. I needed to have the dose increased to 3600mg daily to make my pain almost disappear. Each time the dosage was increased, I felt dopey for a bit, but it was only temporary. The reduction in pain and the good sleep I get is well worth any side effects. In my case, side effects are minimal. I have nerve damage resulting from ankle surgery for arthritis. Before I was put on Neurontin, my outlook on life was pretty bleak. I couldn't sleep and the pain was excrutiating. This drug has really helped me.”

ArizonaMaggy April 23, 2012

For Peripheral Neuropathy: “After visiting a neurologist for burning and tingling pain in both feet, I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy and pre-diabetes. (I'm slender, always ate a well-balanced diet, and exercised.) I tried various medications but the side effects outweighed an pain relief. I have been on Gabapentin (neurontin) 200mg at night for four years. It doesn't relieve all pain, but it does allow me to sleep through the night. I wake up every morning in pain, which continues on and off all day. However, I have very little side effect (occasional sadness, irritability, nausea). Neurontin allows me to have a reasonable quality of life, and very inexpensive.”

Birder26 June 6, 2009

For Pain: “I suffered with spinal stenosis and sciatica in my right leg for years. I tried pain pills, spinal cortisone injections, acupuncture, to no avail. About a week after I started gabapentin 3 times a day, the pain was better. Eventually I was pain-free. Side effects were minor for me.”

Anonymous January 29, 2014

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: “I was first given Neurontin for the shingles, for a few days nothing helped the pain of the shingles, most painful thing I have ever had. After about a week I started feeling better, was sleeping all night and now I have no pain. Even though I still have the shingles best medicine for pain I have ever taken.”

Fifi London · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 28, 2014

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: “I have taken Neuorontin for over five years. I have Multiple Sclerosis and lots of nerve pain. This medicine works...But it will change your personality. BEWARE.. can make you violent. However for nerve pain best medicine out there.”

TheMama March 2, 2012

For Fibromyalgia: “Ever since I started on Neurontin, it's really helped the fibromyalgia pain to be under much better control than before. I highly recommend it as a treatment. The only side effect that I've experienced so far is a rebound of pain when too much time has passed in between doses. I have found that spacing it out every 8 hrs instead of just 3x/day provides better relief of symptoms from FM.”

frambiscuits January 24, 2009

For Pain: “I had a work accident over a year ago. I have taken every pain medicine, had the spinal shots therapy. Now I'm taking this and have virtually no pain. However, if/when you are taking this, be careful - about 2-4 hours after taking it, you will feel extremely drunk or high for a while. Don't drive on this stuff. But overall, it has worked better than all the other medicines I have been on.”

Anonymous February 9, 2012

For Anxiety: “I way prescribed 300 mg Neurontin for anxiety and it has been amazing. I'm also on a number of other anti-anxiety drugs, however Neurontin is helping to lessen my anxiety with its sedative effects. I highly recommend trying Neurontin. I tried Lyrica before Neurontin and Neurontin is more effective and cheaper for me. 8/10!”

Anonymous January 29, 2011

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “This medication is awesome. I have been an alcoholic for 12 yrs. It has been 2 weeks since my last drink. It helps with mood swings, depression, and cravings. The best thing about it is it is not addictive (non narcotic).”

Anonymous March 7, 2012

For Anxiety: “I guess it helps with the anxiety. It affects my memory horribly, I can't think of simple words, I miss exits on the freeway, I forget where I am going, etc. It makes me nauseous and gives me diarrhea. Just when I am starting to feel better, it is time to take it again. I take 100mg 3 times a day. I have only been on it a couple of weeks, so I keep hoping the side effects will go away. I still get anxious when I am faced with my main stressor, but it is not as severe (not the full blown panic attack), just the pain in my stomach, choking in my throat, feeling like my heart is pounding in my head, chest, etc., so it does help some.”

Anonymous January 22, 2012

For Pain: “I was given this medicine in hospital to help with pain/nerve damage after a ruptured disc. BEWARE it made me suicidal! I am a normal, healthy person but after a week or so on this, I started sobbing almost all the time and was in total despair. Fortunately, my husband worked out what the stimulus was and I was told to stop taking the medicine immediately. This was recommended as the withdrawal effects would be better than carrying on with it and weaning off. It took a couple of weeks but I could only have close friends around who understood that at any moment, a wave of crying would over take me but wouldn't last.”

Anonymous December 28, 2008

For Pain: “I live with chronic back and neck pain from an accident. I have been on every narcotic available and now use fentanyl patches. The patches work for everything except the nerve pain in my neck, shoulder and left arm. I couldn't get any relief from the pain, especially at night trying to sleep. My doctor put me on Neurontin about 2 weeks ago and what a relief. Amazing that Neurontin took away that pain.”

drolds1971 August 27, 2009

For Pain: “Couldn't sleep at night because of back pain, doctor gave me these along with regular pain medicines. Besides being a little over weight, I'm as healthy as a horse. These gave me the best nights sleep of my life. I couldn't lift my arms and just felt as relaxed as I have ever been in my life! Didn't feel groggy in the morning, totally awesome! I don't take them EVERY night as prescribed, but after living with this pain for so long, I know when there is going to be a bad night (say, after mowing the lawn). I take one before bedtime and VIOLA! I have a great nights sleep and still feel awesome in the morning! It's a miracle drug!”

DeeDeeT April 21, 2011

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I have been on Gabapentin for a few years now and I have found it helping control the Trigeminal Neuralgia pain with 800mg 3x daily. However, also have found that if I forget to take it consistently, the pain returns immediately. I am hoping that it will continue to work for as long as needed. Research I have done indicates that one usually can come off the medicines after 1 yr and that the pain does not return, but have not been so lucky. I have not had any other side effects so far with it nor any other medication I have been prescribed for conditions. One word of note, this medication did help but only after being on it for at least 2 weeks, so my recommendation would be - give it a chance to work when starting this medicine.”

fibrochickadee July 7, 2011

For Fibromyalgia: “I've been on it for 7 years now and it is amazing. I had to go off of it for awhile when I was in the hospital and I got to see how it actually helps me. All of my fibromyalgia pains and everything else came back. I was in so much pain until I went back on it. Now presto it has take 99% of the pain away. I am now able to move around and not let it slow me down or keep me in bed all day. So very effective for me. I tried Lyrica and it made me gain weight and made me very suicidal so I went on this and its a wonder drug. Hope it helps you too.”

Anonymous August 19, 2008

For Insomnia: “After trying every type of insomnia medicine, this is the only medication that has worked for me. I don't notice any side effects. It isn't perfect. I still have sleepless nights sometimes; but those are nothing compared to the insomnia I was dealing with before.”

Revrose · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2014

“I take 900mg Neurontin for trigeminal neuralgia. For me it works very well, I was taking Lyrica 400 mg daily the side effects were terrible. It controls my nerve pain so far, I have no side effects but I can't miss a dose though, because my pain returns.”

ncguy71 April 4, 2015

“I use to be addicted to xanax even though my first doctor in NC told me the drug was not addicted. I have gone from taking 3mg of xanax to almost not taking the drug at all. I can focus much better and the sleep is unbelievable. A dreamlike state. I sometimes sleep through my first alarm, but eventually wake up. At first I feel groggy, but after a shower I feel great. I feel like with any other drug your body builds up a tolerance and my doctor has gradually increases my dosage. This is a wonder drug for me. I wish I would have known about it before getting addicted to xanax. The blurred vision eventually goes away.”

nonname April 15, 2016

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: “Have been on this for over a month and each increase by my doctor provides no relief whatsoever. The last increase has resulted in severe dizziness, light-headedness, memory loss and forgetfulness, fatigue, racing thoughts during sleep, inability to sleep more than a few hours, and most importantly, no effect on the severe pain from postherpetic neuralgia. I will not be accepting another increase from the doctor, the side effects are intolerable, not to mention the side effects of weaning off this ineffective drug that I have yet to suffer.”

mllnsjnt May 29, 2008

For Restless Legs Syndrome: “Before taking Neurontin, there were 4 to 5 nights a week that I was unable to sleep. I started taking Neurontin regularly and I no longer have RLS. It has helped me tremendously and made a big difference in my quality of sleep.”

Steamroller · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 18, 2019

For Postherpetic Neuralgia: “I had an accident and broke my leg in half and had to be life flighted to Pittsburgh hospital. I live in West Virginia. They wanted to amputate my leg but I said no and ended up with 15 surgeries and 20 pins. I am disabled due to it but I have my leg. The pain was the worst I have ever felt. I was on oxycontin 40 MG 3 x day with 30 MG oxycodone 8 x daily instant release tabs,with neurontin as well. But as I was wean down on pain meds I was left with neurontin. I have severe nerve damage to my whole leg. I'm on two 400 MG tabs 3 x daily. So 2400 MG total daily. I will be on for rest of my life. It is made my life so much better. I can walk without pain but sleep is rough with nite terror for me. But short of that I would recommend it for nerve damage. It helps me function mentally as well. It's great!”

antietamquilter July 21, 2009

For Fibromyalgia: “I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 6 years ago after a toxin exposure. I recently had some flare ups so bad the pins/needles were back in both arms and legs. Finally they gave me Neurontin yesterday. Other than really knocking me out it relieved 80-90% of my pain. I did not take it this morning and am hoping by weekend to be on the 2x a day as doctor prescribed. I had the first full nights sleep in over 3 years. First time I could walk without pain in the morning. Did anyone else get really tired when first taking this?”

Anonymous June 20, 2011

For Anxiety: “I have had anxiety disorder with some symptoms of OCD for most of my life. This medicine works wonders. I feel so much more calmer with it. I feel a little slow after taking it but when you have high anxiety your "slow" may be the average persons "normal". It is certainly worth a shot. I am a 250lb man and I only take 300mg with great results. Never tried a higher dosage yet.”