User Reviews for Neurontin

Learn more about Neurontin.

Neurontin Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Postherpetic Neuralgia.

Reviews for Neurontin to treat Postherpetic Neuralgia

"Have been on this for over a month and each increase by my doctor provides no relief whatsoever. The last increase has resulted in severe dizziness, light-headedness, memory loss and forgetfulness, fatigue, racing thoughts during sleep, inability to sleep more than a few hours, and most importantly, no effect on the severe pain from postherpetic neuralgia. I will not be accepting another increase from the doctor, the side effects are intolerable, not to mention the side effects of weaning off this ineffective drug that I have yet to suffer."

nonname April 15, 2016

"I experienced severe nerve pain following a second bout of shingles less than 3 months apart. During a 2 year period my doctors tried me on regular Gabapentin in combination with other medications - all with severe side effects and no relief from the constant pain and lack of a good night sleep. I gained over 50 lbs as well. My neurologist prescribed Horizant twice a day and my life changed almost over night! I choose not to take it in combination with anything else other than 800 mg Ibuprofen when needed because concerns of past side effects. Eventhough my nerve pain has continued two years later and another bout of shingles I have been able to manage the pain with Horizant."

True Believer February 25, 2016

"My GP prescribed Neurontin to treat pain from PHN, increasing to 1800mg per day. After 6 weeks I find it does reduce pain to some extent and I am able to get a reasonable sleep. Side effects include ringing in ears and tingling in feet and hands, but I can put up with this. I was previously taking Lyrica but experienced very nasty side effects and had to be weaned off it."

Stuart M February 17, 2016

"I have taken Neuorontin for over five years. I have Multiple Sclerosis and lots of nerve pain. This medicine works...But it will change your personality. BEWARE.. can make you violent. However for nerve pain best medicine out there."

Fifi London (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am on Gabapentin for nerve damage due to chemotherapy. I am now up to 600mg 3 times a day. I am not having a lot of relief and have a lot of dizziness, joint pain headaches, and unsteadiness."

mhmama March 9, 2014

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was first given Neurontin for the shingles, for a few days nothing helped the pain of the shingles, most painful thing I have ever had. After about a week I started feeling better, was sleeping all night and now I have no pain. Even though I still have the shingles best medicine for pain I have ever taken."

Anonymous January 29, 2014

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm on 300mg 3x a day. It's my lifesaver for neuropathy and restless legs. It allows me to sleep at night. I find the only side effect is increased appetite."

Jamie_LA (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2013

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My doctor started me on this after I had crazy nerve pain due to shingles. It works amazing for me! When I don't take it or it's time for my dose it feels like I've been shot in the area where my shingles were worst. So I have nothing but great things to say about this medicine for me."

24th ID August 3, 2011

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It relaxes me so that I no longer hold my upper body rigid and the pain is lessened. I am able to get much needed REM sleep."

64ncounting August 15, 2010

"Do not like the weight gain."

brandywine44 August 20, 2009

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had pain in my head with shingles. After taking one pill the pain went away, the next day I went to work for a few hours."

Anonymous June 10, 2009