User Reviews for Ajovy to treat Migraine Prevention

Ajovy has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 242 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention. 34% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 44% reported a negative experience.

Ajovy rating summary

5.1/10 average rating

Compare all 59 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Ajovy

Sunshine · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 15, 2021

"After thirty one years of debilitating migraines, suffering about fifteen a month, and having tried all possible drugs including botox, after six weeks AJOVY COMPLETELY stopped my migraines with NO side effects. It’s nothing short of a blinking miracle and anyone who knows me says what a completely different person I now am. I kiss the feet of whoever invented this!"

Les · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 20, 2020

"So I’ve only been taking Ajovy for 2 months. Since taking Ajovy I have experienced the following: Migraine relief BUT constant bloating, stomach problems such as it’s been hard like a rock and swollen like a mans belly after being a beer drinker for years, my ankles are swollen severely and my knees, ankles and leg muscles are achy and sore like I’ve been on a treadmill non stop for a week. I will not be taking any more injections - I think I would rather deal with a migraine then all the side effects of these medications. I have imitrex, sulindac and toradol to help as needed with migraines. I hope my review helps someone else think they are not crazy if they are experiencing these same issues. Have a great day"

Gh · Taken for 2 to 5 years · January 31, 2021

"Ajovy has been great at reducing/almost eliminating migraines however the weight gain has been 30lbs in about 1.5 years . The doctors refuse to acknowledge any side effect that is not listed on the insert which is none except for rash at injection site. Also I have strange dizziness. Who really believes that there are no side effects?"

Opana · August 25, 2020

"This medication should only be taken by those willing to risk losing 6 months of their lives being home bound. In March 2020, I was prescribed Ajovy. I was told the major concerns were constipation and injection site reaction, what the manufacturer's web site stated as well. I took the Ajovy in April & May 2020. In June 2020, I started to experience GI problems, such as bloating, extreme constipation, nausea, heart palpitations, sense of unease and panic, vertigo, joint pain and extreme fatigue. Work up with my PCP in August 2020 showed a 20 lb weight GAIN, elevated LFT's and increased HR from my usual baseline. The only change made in lifestyle or meds in 2020 was the AJOVY.... I am now suffering 3 months after my last dose and would not wish this on anyone. I started with very high hopes with this medication. However, this medication is MUCH WORSE than the migraines."

Jerzygrl · February 9, 2021

"Ajovy was my miracle drug, Chronic Migraine Cluster Headache days went from 15-20 down to 2-3 and much milder if they did occur. After that first 12 months, (Insurance) I was switched to Aimovig which had very little effect and after trying for 2 months I gave up. Ubrelvy unfortunately failed as well. After appealing insurance Ajovy approved, once again back on and now my headaches are again stabilized for 9-months which is awesome. But I have since noticed a unexplained weight gain of 15 pounds (I follow a strict ketogenic diet) which I brushed off due to Pandemic stress over the last year. I'm also now experiencing Chronic Fatigue, Head Pressure, Dizziness, Restless leg syndrome, Panic Attacks and Chronic Insomnia. I can't help but wonder if it's the Ajovy (CGRP use)? I'm stopping it for awhile to see if any of these possible side effects resolve. 15 pound weight gain is one thing not sleeping at all and being physically exhausted on a daily basis another."

T · Taken for 1 to 2 years · April 10, 2021

"I’ve been taking AJOVY for almost two years after the first 3 months of injections I ended up in the ER with severe itching from head to toe, they didn’t know why, I continued to take the injections and about 3 months later went to ER thinking I was having a heart attack, really bad dizziness and heart palpitations, I had a abnormal EKG. I got off of the injections until my migraines started again and I couldn’t take the pain, now I’m having severe muscle and bone pain, it’s so bad that my doctor did all kinds of test, arthritis, lupus, and multi myeloma test. They were all negative, so today I went for a bone scan with nuclear meds, I haven’t gotten the results back and feel that it’s due to the AJOVY, I will be getting off of these injections, I’m 57 and feel like I’m 97!"

No good · February 8, 2020

"I am a 43 year old male who has never had any serious illness my whole life. I started suffering from vestibular migraines about 8 months ago my neurologist talked me into taking Ajovy injections. The first 2 months went ok with almost no dizziness from migraines only some slight neck pain and slight anxiety. Month 3 started getting worse with anxiety , depression and panic attacks, also PVCs (causing heart palpitations). I went in four my fourth shot prepared to tell neurologist I wanted out but instead let him convince me to try one more shot! Now here I am with severe anxiety, body aches, horrible crazy nightmares, elevated BP, migraines, heart PVCs blurred vision and have had to go to a physiatrist and get put on Librium to just try to pull through. The only warning is possible rash at injection site, I would give anything for that to be true. Counting days until it out of my system!"

greengirl4444 · Taken for 1 to 2 years · December 2, 2020

"Life changing. used to get pain that was 11/10 so horrible 90% of the time for 10 years straight, for last year and half on AJOVY I have my life back (KNOCK ON WOOD). I have zero side effects.. on Aimovig I had some stomach issues also then it stopped working after a few months. This one is amazing. I highly recommend for hormonal migraines and for people who have had them their whole lives like me since I was 5.. it is a miracle. I only get a couple a month now and they are half the pain. I haven't posted sooner because I am so scared to jinx it.."

Sasha C. · June 30, 2020

"I’ve had migraines for about 10 years now. They are hereditary, passed down from my mom and grandmother. I started taking Ajovy almost 2 years ago. It has been life changing for my headaches; however, I’m starting to have crazy symptoms and I am wondering if anyone else has had the same. Extreme dizziness (feels like I’m on a boat rocking), pressure in top of head, hair loss, a little trouble getting the words out of my mouth, a little confusion and terrible anxiety. I’ve stopped taking Ajovy to see if that could be the culprit; however, I’m only 1 month out and wondering how long this could take to get out of my system? I read Aimovig takes 5 months. I plan to visit the doctor soon, but wondering if anyone has experienced this?"

Molly · March 3, 2021

"I’ve taken Ajovy since it came out. I can even go 4+ months until needing three injections again. It’s been a miracle. I used to have migraines all the time. I hated the way triptans made me feel (I took maxalt), and I worried about routinely forcing blood vessels in my brain to shrink. It seemed like a potentially bad idea for the long term. I went to the ER about 4 times a year, and PMS caused excruciating migraines. On Ajovy I think I’ve had three small migraines in the past year. I have noticed no side effects from the medicine, and I’m usually highly sensitive and get every side effect. I’ve truly had no issues at all. I’m surprised at all the bad reviews. Migraines ruined many years of my life. Anyone thinking about trying it, go ahead and get one injection. If it’s a miracle for you too, then count yourself lucky."

Jelena · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · January 16, 2021

"Been using Ajovy for 11 months at this point. The migraines are basically cut in half but haven't disappeared altogether. For the past few months, I have been experiencing severe vitamin D loss in my blood and my hair is falling out more than usual. My neurologist says it isn't linked together, but I am not that sure. If anyone is using this drug and is experiencing the same side effects, it might be linked. The more of us share, the more we will know."

G · December 10, 2020

"My doctor gave me a sample of Ajovy and the first month was great. I went from having migraines 5 days a week to only one. The next month I received a 3-month pack for only $5. Sadly I had a two month gap then I went back on a Ajovy and it no longer had a positive effect. At the end of the 30 days I started to get very dizzy and somewhat disoriented. The dizziness lasted over a week. Then I would take a Ajovy again the next month then after three weeks I started to get very dizzy & now my BP is elevated & my face gets numb -I’ve felt terrible for over 2 weeks now & after reading many of the testimonials here I figured it’s the medication side effects. I am no longer going to take this medication hope I can flush it from my system and will take recommendations on how to detoxify. I ended up searching “Ajovy is making me dizzy” and that’s how I found this helpful site. Thank you everyone for sharing. -G"

Dizzy444 · Taken for less than 1 month · October 30, 2018

"My experience with this drug has been horrific. I injected it 2 weeks ago and have been sick ever since. It has doubled the amount of migraines that I get. I have also had severe dizziness and vertigo along with heart palpitations and anxiety. It has given me neck and muscle pain as well. I am nauseous and can’t sleep. This drug listed no side effects but injection site reaction which I did not get. I expect to be sick for at least the full month that this drug will be in my system. This is not the miracle drug I was expecting. Teva is definitely not being forthcoming."

Purechiqi · Taken for less than 1 month · July 13, 2021

"I had my first dose the 24th June 2021. The injection intensified the migraine pain at least 40% more and made them last 24/7 only dropping to mild for one hour before cramping back up again so I had to lie in full dark ice pack, eye mask. I tried codeine it had no effect. The nausea and stomach cramps were really intense. I had to take xanax to try relax the pain on my left side neck and shoulder too. The whole experience left me shook. The neurologist has taken me off it because she said she hasn't much experience with it. They offered no antidote or pain relief I've to just ride out the two weeks I have it left in my system. Teva need to be more transparent with their medication side effects with Ajovy."

Ajovy Survivor · January 24, 2020

"I took 1st dose of Ajovy in June 2019. Ten days after, woke up with extremely swollen hand and my hypoglycemia was out of control. Spoke with Neurologist who said there could be no connection to Ajovy and encouraged me to take second dose. Took 2nd dose, hypoglycemia went out of control again, and ten days after I took 2nd dose developed deep vein thrombosis in my leg and rhabdomyolysis after a normal workout. I ended up in the ER where I was also diagnosed with superficial thrombosis in upper arm. My Cardiologist figured out this was due to Ajovy. He knew people in the clinical trials were not allowed to participate if they had a history of DVT. CGRP plays a role in pancreas, which explains hypoglycemia attacks. Teva has a clinical trial report in which people experienced elevated levels of CPK counts, but they did not have to report it to the FDA because no one developed rhabdomyolysis in the trials. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2018/761089Orig1s000SumR.pdf"

naezway1 · May 16, 2021

"I was told by my neurologist this drug had no side effects. The injection did not hurt and it did take away the pain and pressure in my head. I didn’t realize until after the 3rd injection that I was having an allergic reaction. After the first one I had some dark redness on the skin by my eye. I didn’t realize it was from the injection. After the second injection the redness was worse but I still didn’t put it together. After the 3rd injection it was red all around my eyes, swollen underneath me left eye, and my chest and shoulders were red. I thought it was from the COVID vaccine. But then I put it together from the other 2 injections. Then I found the user reviews on here. And I all of a sudden realized... weight gain, bloating badly in the stomach, anxiety, fatigue, dizziness and more were side effects symptoms from Ajovy and I was thinking those things were caused by something else because I was TOLD BY A NEUROLOGIST THIS DRUG HAD NO SIDE EFFECTS! I am very grateful I had that allergic reaction and had to stop the injections."

Dimples · July 27, 2020

"I have taken 3 injections of Ajovy. It’s been amazing. Previously I had migraines often and daily headaches. I was eating Excedrine migraine like candy. Now I’ll usually get a mild headache around the 26th day after my injection. I also have arthritis in my wrist, neck and back. Those pains seem to have disappeared also. I am 53 years old and I walk 5 miles daily (Monday through Friday) It’s great to be able to function without headaches."

Cariology nurse · Taken for less than 1 month · June 2, 2019

"I have suffered from chronic migraines since I was a teenager and I am 41. I have tried every medication, almost 5 years of Botox, & nerve decompression surgery in NYC over 2 years ago. Migraines have always come back. My neurologist has put me on Ajovy, I have taken 1 dose...3 weeks ago, no change in my headaches, but I have never felt more fatigued in my life! I can easily sleep 14 hours & still take a nap if it’s my day off. I also feel dizzy, constipated, & my hands & feet feel numb & sore at times. I will not be taking the 2nd dose. I normally workout a few times per week but haven’t had any energy to do so. Also, with a busy nursing career I cannot afford to feel so sluggish or dizzy. I really wanted this to work. I am disappointed again. My neurologist was optimistic & also told me the only adverse reaction was at the injection site, very misleading if you ask me."

Kisses · Taken for 1 to 2 years · December 27, 2019

"Ajovy has been great for reducing my migraine from 3-4 a week to 6 in the last year while being on Ajovy. But I also have fibromyalgia and for the last 11 months outta 13 months( on Ajovy) I’ve been in chronic pain, was just thinking my fibro was getting worse but now wondering if it’s been from the injection? Every bone, joint, muscle and nerve in my body hurts 24/7, some days it takes all I have to function. After reading new reports on CRGP receptors (which Ajovy is) it makes sense of why my pain or anyone’s would be greatly intensified. My advice if you already experience pain, try all the other meds on market before this one."

Ave · June 29, 2020

"I’ve been taking Ajovy almost 2 years. I’m stopping because although it mostly got rid of my daily headaches (Hemicrania Continua) I’ve gained 17 pounds, I have circulation issues in my legs, knees, feet and hands. Also it causes more anxiety and exhaustion. So, I’ve decided to take myself off. I guess there’s always pros and cons to all medications but these side effects are really upsetting. Sad because the shots really got rid of my headache. Btw I’m a female in my 50s."

amywms · August 11, 2019

"These injections significantly reduced my migraines. However I developed severe insomnia (I’ve always slept GREAT) before and anxiety, depression and panic. I’ve had to see countless doctors. It has ruined my quality of life and I’m a mama of 3. Ajovy is made with stem cells and if you research this these can be common side effects. I’m really at a loss of what to do. I regret giving these a try. Also- a doctor told me Ajovy is in your system for ages after the last injection. Please consider if this is worth it."

The Migraine Vet · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 15, 2019

"I have suffered from chronic migraines for 35+ years! My first injection of Ajovy was on May 30, 2019. Initially, other than site pain/bruising, I was thrilled...thought I was a winner! Unfortunately, my 5th dose on September 30th will be my last! My struggle with a weight gain of 17 pounds is unacceptable, when I know that my diet and exercise regimen has been even better than before I started. I am uncomfortably bloated and/or constipated due to the decreased gastric motility that I KNOW is caused by the Ajovy! I pray that my fellow migraineurs who are using it pay attention to your body...monitor closely."

Amy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · May 13, 2019

"I've been suffering with migraines since the age of 10, I'm now 36. My first Ajovy injection was in November 2018. I feel like it has cut down my migraines a lot. But every time I inject Ajovy I feel extremely tired, dizzy for a couple of weeks following the injection and side are I also feel like I'm losing hair, and gaining a little weight. I haven't changed my physical activity or eating habits. Is anyone else experiencing this? I tried to tell my Neurologist but he says there's no way Ajovy is causing this. Because these are not side effects listed by the company."

Paul B · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 30, 2022

"This is a high-risk drug for many patients due to severe side effects of panic, anxiety and depression. As time goes on and more real world (post marketing) becomes known about fremanezumab-vfrm, there will be black box warnings as well as significant class actions. I would be curious how many people have lost their lives due to this drug. It's extremely unfortunate and I hope prescribers listen to the warnings of their patients experiences on it especially it's detrimental impact on mental health."

JSP · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 5, 2019

"I started Ajovy 225mg in January. The first month I noticed no help with migraines, actually it was a little worse . Also started getting light headed and lack of appetite. The second shot in February, my symptoms became worse, bad taste in my mouth, spacey, no appetite, still no reduction in migraines. Also constipation, insomnia and no energy. The 3rd shot and last. Chills and flushing, heart palpitations, irritable, trouble concentrating, major panic attacks. Numbness in legs and arms, confusion, wife called 911 thinking I was having a heart attack. No one can tell me how long this will last. I was told by Teva the maker of Ajovy it has a 31 day half life, which means it will take 155 days for the Ajovy to be out of my system. My neurologist has no answers. The doctors at E.R said it was a severe panic attack. And I was dehydrated. I hope this helps. Sorry I am not thinking very well. No changes in my medication except Ajovy."

Learn more about Migraine Prevention