User Reviews for Ajovy to treat Migraine Prevention

Ajovy has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 117 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention. 35% of those users who reviewed Ajovy reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Ajovy Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Ajovy

GG2021 June 21, 2021

“I have been a migraine sufferer for 17 years, with 3-4 migraines a week. I was hesitant to try Ajovy, my doctor indicated no side effects which is why I gave it a ago! The first month .. god send, not 1 migraine so I thought I found my holy grail. However, I could not figure out why I seemingly gained 7 pounds in 1 month. After reading this blog the weight gain is real! Unfortunately I just administered my second and last injection today. I wIsh read this blog sooner. Thank you everyone!”

JMR1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2021

“Had my first injection of Ajovy on 6/8/2021. I've had migraines since I was teen and then about a year ago I started having dizzy spells with nausea that would last an average of 15 minutes. My new neurologist recommended Ajovy and diagnosed my dizzy spells at Vestibular Migraines. I take a preventative for my migraines which has been very effective. About 40 hours later I woke up in the middle of the night with a horrible migraine. Took 100 mg Imitrex, went away about 85% but came back. That was the cycle for the next 4 days. I was taking the max of 200 mg Imitrex every day and didn't want to run the risk of getting rebound headaches. June 14th, called my neurologist & he put me on steroids to break the cycle. Today is the 3rd day of steroids and FINALLY woke up migraine free.”

sydneyc · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2021

“I’ve been on Ajovy 4 months and while I’ve gone from 15+ migraines a month to about 1 a week, I will be stopping the injection due to its side effects. So far my side effects are that I’ve gained ~10 pounds, my hair is thinning extremely fast, and my anxiety has been at an all time high. I was told there were no major side effects from Ajovy, but not being on any other medications, I really think Avojy is the culprit for my symptoms. The medication works very well, just not worth the side effects in my opinion.”

Sunshine · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2021

“After thirty one years of debilitating migraines, suffering about fifteen a month, and having tried all possible drugs including botox, after six weeks AJOVY COMPLETELY stopped my migraines with NO side effects. It’s nothing short of a blinking miracle and anyone who knows me says what a completely different person I now am. I kiss the feet of whoever invented this!”

T · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 10, 2021

“I’ve been taking AJOVY for almost two years after the first 3 months of injections I ended up in the ER with severe itching from head to toe, they didn’t know why, I continued to take the injections and about 3 months later went to ER thinking I was having a heart attack, really bad dizziness and heart palpitations, I had a abnormal EKG. I got off of the injections until my migraines started again and I couldn’t take the pain, now I’m having severe muscle and bone pain, it’s so bad that my doctor did all kinds of test, arthritis, lupus, and multi myeloma test. They were all negative, so today I went for a bone scan with nuclear meds, I haven’t gotten the results back and feel that it’s due to the AJOVY, I will be getting off of these injections, I’m 57 and feel like I’m 97!”

Les · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2020

“So I’ve only been taking Ajovy for 2 months. Since taking Ajovy I have experienced the following: Migraine relief BUT constant bloating, stomach problems such as it’s been hard like a rock and swollen like a mans belly after being a beer drinker for years, my ankles are swollen severely and my knees, ankles and leg muscles are achy and sore like I’ve been on a treadmill non stop for a week. I will not be taking any more injections - I think I would rather deal with a migraine then all the side effects of these medications. I have imitrex, sulindac and toradol to help as needed with migraines. I hope my review helps someone else think they are not crazy if they are experiencing these same issues. Have a great day”

greengirl4444 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 2, 2020

“Life changing. used to get pain that was 11/10 so horrible 90% of the time for 10 years straight, for last year and half on AJOVY I have my life back (KNOCK ON WOOD). I have zero side effects.. on Aimovig I had some stomach issues also then it stopped working after a few months. This one is amazing. I highly recommend for hormonal migraines and for people who have had them their whole lives like me since I was 5.. it is a miracle. I only get a couple a month now and they are half the pain. I haven't posted sooner because I am so scared to jinx it..”

Jerzygrl February 9, 2021

“Ajovy was my miracle drug, Chronic Migraine Cluster Headache days went from 15-20 down to 2-3 and much milder if they did occur. After that first 12 months, (Insurance) I was switched to Aimovig which had very little effect and after trying for 2 months I gave up. Ubrelvy unfortunately failed as well. After appealing insurance Ajovy approved, once again back on and now my headaches are again stabilized for 9-months which is awesome. But I have since noticed a unexplained weight gain of 15 pounds (I follow a strict ketogenic diet) which I brushed off due to Pandemic stress over the last year. I'm also now experiencing Chronic Fatigue, Head Pressure, Dizziness, Restless leg syndrome, Panic Attacks and Chronic Insomnia. I can't help but wonder if it's the Ajovy (CGRP use)? I'm stopping it for awhile to see if any of these possible side effects resolve. 15 pound weight gain is one thing not sleeping at all and being physically exhausted on a daily basis another.”

Opana August 25, 2020

“This medication should only be taken by those willing to risk losing 6 months of their lives being home bound. In March 2020, I was prescribed Ajovy. I was told the major concerns were constipation and injection site reaction, what the manufacturer's web site stated as well. I took the Ajovy in April & May 2020. In June 2020, I started to experience GI problems, such as bloating, extreme constipation, nausea, heart palpitations, sense of unease and panic, vertigo, joint pain and extreme fatigue. Work up with my PCP in August 2020 showed a 20 lb weight GAIN, elevated LFT's and increased HR from my usual baseline. The only change made in lifestyle or meds in 2020 was the AJOVY.... I am now suffering 3 months after my last dose and would not wish this on anyone. I started with very high hopes with this medication. However, this medication is MUCH WORSE than the migraines.”

naezway1 May 16, 2021

“I was told by my neurologist this drug had no side effects. The injection did not hurt and it did take away the pain and pressure in my head. I didn’t realize until after the 3rd injection that I was having an allergic reaction. After the first one I had some dark redness on the skin by my eye. I didn’t realize it was from the injection. After the second injection the redness was worse but I still didn’t put it together. After the 3rd injection it was red all around my eyes, swollen underneath me left eye, and my chest and shoulders were red. I thought it was from the COVID vaccine. But then I put it together from the other 2 injections. Then I found the user reviews on here. And I all of a sudden realized... weight gain, bloating badly in the stomach, anxiety, fatigue, dizziness and more were side effects symptoms from Ajovy and I was thinking those things were caused by something else because I was TOLD BY A NEUROLOGIST THIS DRUG HAD NO SIDE EFFECTS! I am very grateful I had that allergic reaction and had to stop the injections.”

Gh · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 31, 2021

“Ajovy has been great at reducing/almost eliminating migraines however the weight gain has been 30lbs in about 1.5 years . The doctors refuse to acknowledge any side effect that is not listed on the insert which is none except for rash at injection site. Also I have strange dizziness. Who really believes that there are no side effects?”

No good February 8, 2020

“I am a 43 year old male who has never had any serious illness my whole life. I started suffering from vestibular migraines about 8 months ago my neurologist talked me into taking Ajovy injections. The first 2 months went ok with almost no dizziness from migraines only some slight neck pain and slight anxiety. Month 3 started getting worse with anxiety , depression and panic attacks, also PVCs (causing heart palpitations). I went in four my fourth shot prepared to tell neurologist I wanted out but instead let him convince me to try one more shot! Now here I am with severe anxiety, body aches, horrible crazy nightmares, elevated BP, migraines, heart PVCs blurred vision and have had to go to a physiatrist and get put on Librium to just try to pull through. The only warning is possible rash at injection site, I would give anything for that to be true. Counting days until it out of my system!”

Molly March 3, 2021

“I’ve taken Ajovy since it came out. I can even go 4+ months until needing three injections again. It’s been a miracle. I used to have migraines all the time. I hated the way triptans made me feel (I took maxalt), and I worried about routinely forcing blood vessels in my brain to shrink. It seemed like a potentially bad idea for the long term. I went to the ER about 4 times a year, and PMS caused excruciating migraines. On Ajovy I think I’ve had three small migraines in the past year. I have noticed no side effects from the medicine, and I’m usually highly sensitive and get every side effect. I’ve truly had no issues at all. I’m surprised at all the bad reviews. Migraines ruined many years of my life. Anyone thinking about trying it, go ahead and get one injection. If it’s a miracle for you too, then count yourself lucky.”

Sasha C. June 30, 2020

“I’ve had migraines for about 10 years now. They are hereditary, passed down from my mom and grandmother. I started taking Ajovy almost 2 years ago. It has been life changing for my headaches; however, I’m starting to have crazy symptoms and I am wondering if anyone else has had the same. Extreme dizziness (feels like I’m on a boat rocking), pressure in top of head, hair loss, a little trouble getting the words out of my mouth, a little confusion and terrible anxiety. I’ve stopped taking Ajovy to see if that could be the culprit; however, I’m only 1 month out and wondering how long this could take to get out of my system? I read Aimovig takes 5 months. I plan to visit the doctor soon, but wondering if anyone has experienced this?”

Jonah April 14, 2021

“Was prescribed Ajovy for migraine prevention after failing a dozen other preventatives . I can honestly say it's the worst preventative drug I've ever taken . Instead of improving my migraines it made them more frequent and more difficult to treat .”

Jelena · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 16, 2021

“Been using Ajovy for 11 months at this point. The migraines are basically cut in half but haven't disappeared altogether. For the past few months, I have been experiencing severe vitamin D loss in my blood and my hair is falling out more than usual. My neurologist says it isn't linked together, but I am not that sure. If anyone is using this drug and is experiencing the same side effects, it might be linked. The more of us share, the more we will know.”

G December 10, 2020

“My doctor gave me a sample of Ajovy and the first month was great. I went from having migraines 5 days a week to only one. The next month I received a 3-month pack for only $5. Sadly I had a two month gap then I went back on a Ajovy and it no longer had a positive effect. At the end of the 30 days I started to get very dizzy and somewhat disoriented. The dizziness lasted over a week. Then I would take a Ajovy again the next month then after three weeks I started to get very dizzy & now my BP is elevated & my face gets numb -I’ve felt terrible for over 2 weeks now & after reading many of the testimonials here I figured it’s the medication side effects. I am no longer going to take this medication hope I can flush it from my system and will take recommendations on how to detoxify. I ended up searching “Ajovy is making me dizzy” and that’s how I found this helpful site. Thank you everyone for sharing. -G”

MB · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2021

“I started Ajovy 2 months ago - I have done 2 injections. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why I was so dizzy all the time since dizzy was not listed on the side effects. Ajovy helped with my migraines but I always felt a little off. This site was very helpful for me to realize it is the Ajovy causing the dizziness not me going crazy- and I will not do another injection again.”

Dimples July 27, 2020

“I have taken 3 injections of Ajovy. It’s been amazing. Previously I had migraines often and daily headaches. I was eating Excedrine migraine like candy. Now I’ll usually get a mild headache around the 26th day after my injection. I also have arthritis in my wrist, neck and back. Those pains seem to have disappeared also. I am 53 years old and I walk 5 miles daily (Monday through Friday) It’s great to be able to function without headaches.”

Dizzy444 · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2018

“My experience with this drug has been horrific. I injected it 2 weeks ago and have been sick ever since. It has doubled the amount of migraines that I get. I have also had severe dizziness and vertigo along with heart palpitations and anxiety. It has given me neck and muscle pain as well. I am nauseous and can’t sleep. This drug listed no side effects but injection site reaction which I did not get. I expect to be sick for at least the full month that this drug will be in my system. This is not the miracle drug I was expecting. Teva is definitely not being forthcoming.”

Hopeful · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2021

“I took Ajovy for 2 months. Although, it worked almost instantly it came with side effects. It was as if there was a band pulling at my stomach tighter and tighter. The pressure was too much for me. I also gained almost 10 pounds in that short period. I’m now back on Aimovig . It worked for 2 years but not as well as Ajovy . Just less side effects for me. Unfortunately, as we all try these medications we find more side effects than listed. Some are worth the try . Good luck to all”

Ajovy Survivor January 24, 2020

“I took 1st dose of Ajovy in June 2019. Ten days after, woke up with extremely swollen hand and my hypoglycemia was out of control. Spoke with Neurologist who said there could be no connection to Ajovy and encouraged me to take second dose. Took 2nd dose, hypoglycemia went out of control again, and ten days after I took 2nd dose developed deep vein thrombosis in my leg and rhabdomyolysis after a normal workout. I ended up in the ER where I was also diagnosed with superficial thrombosis in upper arm. My Cardiologist figured out this was due to Ajovy. He knew people in the clinical trials were not allowed to participate if they had a history of DVT. CGRP plays a role in pancreas, which explains hypoglycemia attacks. Teva has a clinical trial report in which people experienced elevated levels of CPK counts, but they did not have to report it to the FDA because no one developed rhabdomyolysis in the trials. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2018/761089Orig1s000SumR.pdf”

Kisses · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 27, 2019

“Ajovy has been great for reducing my migraine from 3-4 a week to 6 in the last year while being on Ajovy. But I also have fibromyalgia and for the last 11 months outta 13 months( on Ajovy) I’ve been in chronic pain, was just thinking my fibro was getting worse but now wondering if it’s been from the injection? Every bone, joint, muscle and nerve in my body hurts 24/7, some days it takes all I have to function. After reading new reports on CRGP receptors (which Ajovy is) it makes sense of why my pain or anyone’s would be greatly intensified. My advice if you already experience pain, try all the other meds on market before this one.”

Donna Lea · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 1, 2020

“I was on the Ajovy shot for 11 months. It ABSOLUTELY got rid of my migraines (went from 15 migraines a month to less than 1 a month). BUT I gained 20 pounds not sure if it is from the Ajovy or from going off the Topamax or both. And the scariest part of all was that on multiple occasions, my neck was seize up and I would lose range of motion...it was like the migraine was “stuck” in my neck. I had to go for physical therapy. It was there that my PT suggested going off the Ajovy and trying to address the mechanical (cervicogenic) issues that were perhaps causing the migraines. With regular PT treatment and stretching, I am almost migraine-free again! No more scary neck issues. And I don’t have to worry about any long-term unknown side effects from Ajovy.”

amywms August 11, 2019

“These injections significantly reduced my migraines. However I developed severe insomnia (I’ve always slept GREAT) before and anxiety, depression and panic. I’ve had to see countless doctors. It has ruined my quality of life and I’m a mama of 3. Ajovy is made with stem cells and if you research this these can be common side effects. I’m really at a loss of what to do. I regret giving these a try. Also- a doctor told me Ajovy is in your system for ages after the last injection. Please consider if this is worth it.”

The Migraine Vet · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2019

“I have suffered from chronic migraines for 35+ years! My first injection of Ajovy was on May 30, 2019. Initially, other than site pain/bruising, I was thrilled...thought I was a winner! Unfortunately, my 5th dose on September 30th will be my last! My struggle with a weight gain of 17 pounds is unacceptable, when I know that my diet and exercise regimen has been even better than before I started. I am uncomfortably bloated and/or constipated due to the decreased gastric motility that I KNOW is caused by the Ajovy! I pray that my fellow migraineurs who are using it pay attention to your body...monitor closely.”

Cariology nurse · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2019

“I have suffered from chronic migraines since I was a teenager and I am 41. I have tried every medication, almost 5 years of Botox, & nerve decompression surgery in NYC over 2 years ago. Migraines have always come back. My neurologist has put me on Ajovy, I have taken 1 dose...3 weeks ago, no change in my headaches, but I have never felt more fatigued in my life! I can easily sleep 14 hours & still take a nap if it’s my day off. I also feel dizzy, constipated, & my hands & feet feel numb & sore at times. I will not be taking the 2nd dose. I normally workout a few times per week but haven’t had any energy to do so. Also, with a busy nursing career I cannot afford to feel so sluggish or dizzy. I really wanted this to work. I am disappointed again. My neurologist was optimistic & also told me the only adverse reaction was at the injection site, very misleading if you ask me.”

Ave June 29, 2020

“I’ve been taking Ajovy almost 2 years. I’m stopping because although it mostly got rid of my daily headaches (Hemicrania Continua) I’ve gained 17 pounds, I have circulation issues in my legs, knees, feet and hands. Also it causes more anxiety and exhaustion. So, I’ve decided to take myself off. I guess there’s always pros and cons to all medications but these side effects are really upsetting. Sad because the shots really got rid of my headache. Btw I’m a female in my 50s.”