User Reviews for Fentanyl Transdermal System

Chronic Pain
7.8

Summary of Fentanyl Transdermal System reviews 7.9 75 reviews

Reviews for Fentanyl Transdermal System

For Chronic Pain "To be 100% honest with you guys I tried fentanyl for about a month or so and the first Patch at 12. 5 micrograms actually worked and lasted about 2 hours but then it suddenly stopped working so the doctor upped my dosage to 25 micrograms then up to 50 micrograms and then she skipped it to 100 micrograms and they didn't do nothing. I had no nausea, no pain relief, no stomach cramps absolutely nothing and I was wasting money on this stuff that did nothing. So I would definitely stay away and plus these patches were only going on my skin one patch every 3 days which is absolutely ridiculous . A waste of time... and for a 400 pound man that has severe severe chronic back pain I could have easily used four or five patches a day easy that's if they worked. I'm just going to say this. Stick too fast acting medications because they work for me."

Rellik0078 (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I am on 150mcg Fentanyl transdermal patch and have been for ten years. It adequately treats my degenerative disc disease when many other meds, including morphine, did not. I was treated at a Hospital in Boston, at their Pain Clinic and was lucky. I am lucky but it is not easy street, there are the side effects of constipation, and memory loss, etc. But I don't have many choices, at least the patches take care of my pain for about 90 percent of the time. Different medications affect us all differently. Luckily for me my MDs were able to treat me. We must learn that we don't have to beat ourselves or allow others to beat us up for our illnesses. We wouldn't deny cancer patients their pain meds but we have different views for people and patients with other chronic pain illnesses. A UK study, around 2008, claimed that more than ¾ of pain patients were not being adequately treated for pain."

CJ (taken for 10 years or more) August 3, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I was on 75 mcg patches for 12 years after a horrible accident that smashed my knees and back. I made the mistake of working in very hot weather and a patch sweated off twice in my monthly prescription cycle. The doctors refused to replace the patches and I got horrific withdrawals. After reaching out for help I was put on suboxone to wean me off the patches, labelled a drug addict and have been made to jump through hoops to get any form of decent analgesia. If this happens to you don't ask for help wait for the withdrawals to pass or you'll go through 10 months of hell with pain like I've had to."

hmmf (taken for 10 years or more) July 17, 2018

For Pain "I've had severe pain for the last 15 years after a T10 vertebrae fracture from an accident. I've had fentanyl patches for the last 12 years. It has provided the most pain relief and is the most constant pain relief that I've had. Now because of the opioid "scare & abuse" they are tapering me off the patches all together. I am scared to death about the amount of pain I'm going to be in. Right now my pain level is about 7.5. By the time the patches are gone I'll be literally flopping around like a fish out of water. That's how bad the pain was to begin with! The doctor doesn't have an answer as to how to control the pain after that. I've just been told that opioids don't work for chronic pain but I've found numerous articles stating that they DO work for some people's pain."

Lakewood, WI (taken for 10 years or more) July 4, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I have liver disease from years of Tylenol by hands full. I had to function so I could work. I have severe migraines and later in life developed bad back but I refuse to have surgery. My sister had surgery, enough said. I was on the patches for a couple of years with Norco for break through pain. I was doing so well I could walk and even go places where I had to walk. With all the bad press and gov. regulations my doctor stopped prescribing it to any patient. With the patches there was more of an even keel managing the pain with my back. I have now gone back to the condition I was in 3 years ago. The druggie creeps are causing me to suffer and I'm angry. I don't want to spend what years I have left sitting in a recliner. I just want to function."

Jane (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2018

"I have anaphylaxis, RA, multiple connective tissue diseases then dercums disease made my life almost untenable. Luckily my GP & rheumatoid specialist were aware of this disease. I was already on azathioprine & fentanyl patches. As the pain increased my fentanyl patches have been increased to 150 mcg per hour changed every 3 days. Azathioprine to 150mg daily. My whole body has lipomas from my head to my feet on right hand side & to my knee on left hand side. Also internally. My lungs filled up with 2 1/2 litres of blood & drs started discussing lung transplants. I have practised meditation & self healing since I was 12 & now I'm 55. This is the only thing that stops my depression taking complete control."

LaceMumma (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 13, 2018

For Chronic Pain "It kept coming off, even when I taped it to my shoulder. The breakthrough pain was not handled by this. I liked it as it didn’t directly go through my liver. Overall sense of well being, I.e. no pain and I could actually function well. 30mg 3 day for severe scoliosis, Sepsis after effects, degenerative L4 & L5, liver tumor (benign)."

jen0830 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

For Chronic Pain "I broke my back in 2002, 3 years later found out the break did not fuse and after 13 doctors finally found one that would do the operation (as I was cutting my own spinal cord with the broken bones in my back). My surgery was only supposed to be 5 hours but because of all the damage I did it turned into 15 hours. I was cut open from pubic bone over left hip right to spine, now I have 2 rods 4 plates and so many screws they lost count, no bad side effects for me but I wouldn't have a bowel movement for 10 days or so was my only problem. I was on 150 mcg/h"

24 Pain (taken for 10 years or more) December 10, 2017

For Chronic Pain "Was put on this medicine for lower back pain and was the biggest mistake of my life. Made me feel and look like a zombie. Got very skinny and pale in less then a month so I stopped using and got the worst detox of my life. Will never go back I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. It is mainly used for people that have cancer or terminally ill to tolerate the pain. Stay away unless you are on your deathbed. Not worth it. Trust me."

DB2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017

For Chronic Pain "I've had neck surgery, both shoulder surgeries and chronic low back (disc) problems for the past 14 years. Oral medications somewhat helped OxyContin, then Oxycodone and Morphine sulfate. Even Ibuprofen 800 for inflammation in my muscles and sciatic nerve on left leg. But, recently my Dr. put me on Fentanyl patch 25mcg/72 hour. It was amazing, I was pain free!! But, at a cost. I couldn't tolorate the side effects. For me? It affected my torso and abdomen area felt numb like Novacaine. It weakened my back and leg muscles. All within the first 16 days. I removed the (6th) patch then hospitalized, had a MRI of my brain to rule out Stroke. Almost complete loss of balance, using a cane. Started therapy to regain strength. No longer on the patch."

JudeezKid (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

For Chronic Pain "Severe back pain, severe neck pain, and torn rotator culf"

Acg252 November 26, 2016

For Chronic Pain "Have Osteoarthritis, stenosis and poor lumbar discs. Medical retirement with Back at age 59, am 75 and have been on 75 or 100 mcg/hr Fentanyl Patches for 15 years. I take Hydrocodone/Acet. 10/325 mg. 2-4 times most days to supplement my up or down daily pain ride. Mylan patches best to adher and change EVERY 48 hrs. as prescribed. Take 2 to 4 1 mg. Alprazolams per day for anxiety. This recipe has given me a solid life for years. Only side effects ever have been a 'whoever' would fail to refill Alprazs. on time, then anxiety withdrawals are rough. Bottom Line: Fetanyl Patches are Life Savers."

Loggy (taken for 10 years or more) November 17, 2016

For Chronic Pain "Years ago I was on the older formula of Fentanyl and it worked wonders with minimal dosage & breakthrough meds. After the companies reformulated the drug it isn't nearly as good as it used to be &has many more side effects, brand depending. Mylan works best for me as far as fewer side effects but none work for the 72 hours they are supposed to. Originally, my max dose was 75mcg for 1.5 years prior to surgery. This time I am up to 125mcg w/in the first year + 10/325 Norco 4x daily +muscle relaxers for auto fusion of L3-S1. Pain level on day 1 is @7, day 2 is @4, day 3 is @8. I have to put my new patches on before taking the old off or life is hell. Thanks to drug addicts, illegal activity & government interference Doc can no longer help."

BonneMare (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2016

For Pain "I recent began Fentynal Patches am on 37.5 Mylan. With a piggyback or b/t med of only Norco 5/325 twice daily . Im sorry but if this is supposed to be the strongest we have out there I am disappointed. I at one time was on or taking all vic meaning 7.5 as well as 10mg then percocet Percocet a joke. My body per saliva swab test don't recall name indicates my body metabolizes quickly. How long shall I wait to tell the Nurse Practioner Pain specialist this isn't working. Sure lightheaded all Narcotics begin that way, however pain still 7-8 what do I need to do? Only been on this dose second day I was on 25 mg she increased."

Banditboy October 9, 2016

For Chronic Pain "The brand that you get makes a huge difference. I can only find the Apotex brand at the pharmacies within a 70 mile range(25mcg/hr). Some times these patches have very little or no effect on my pain.I am sure it is the lack of consistent medication on some of the patches because I have actually suffered through about 24 hours of no relief then take the patch off and try a new patch,my pain was better 5 minutes later.By each patch being so inconsistent, it can not possibly control my pain consistently.My friend uses Pac brand which she has her pharmacy order, and says they work fine.I will check reviews on different brands and try to have them ordered."

Kat1964 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2016

For Chronic Pain "Only pain med that has worked consistantly for a long period of time but you must be careful. If being outside in sun it must be covered to prevent over dose because heat will increase output. Worked best for me with a low dose and using methadone for breakthrough but most Dr's wont prescribe methadone because of stigma associated with its normal use but had my pain level to around 3. Roxycodone can only get me to 6 at best."

Sbay (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 27, 2016

For Chronic Pain "I have had bad back, neck and shoulder pain for 12 plus years. My Dr's.tried several times doing guided steroid injections and for several hours after the injections I would feel pain free. Once the numbing agent wears off the pain returns to normal. They tried trans dermal compounded creams as well as NSAID's and oral medications. Some of the oral medications worked but not long enough. I would take one at bed time and 5 to 6 hours I would wake up in pain and couldn't go back to sleep. I was only allowed to take 3 a day so if I used one at bed time and one near morning I had nothing through the day. the patches worked well but they tend to roll up and fall off. I am told not to put tape over them. Not sure what to do about that."

BBBtheKing (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2016

For Pain "I have trouble keeping it sealed all sides I have to use tape lost 3 patches"

Nannygrunt May 16, 2016

For Chronic Pain "Was on vicodin for years and was taking 8 a day. Doctors recommended Fentanyl. I got immediately relief. I have to apply 1 every 72 hrs. 100mcg. For me it works but doesn't last 72 hrs. Should be able to overlap. My breakthrough med is morphine codone. Wish I could find a breakthrough med that works for me. Chronic pain for 15-20 yrs."

Eugene58 September 14, 2015

For Pain "It relax my pain"

kemone (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2015

For Chronic Pain "After L3,4,5s1 fusions,have been on 75 fentanyl every 72 hours,I would prefer every 48 but insurance gives a hard time.this drug let's me live a normal life, I use Norco for break through am so happy I have this fentanyl weaned off one time.lasted two weeks my pain Management doctor put me back on,immediate relief!!!"

mare milks March 23, 2015

For Chronic Pain "I've had back problems for about 5 years now. I'm scheduled to undergo my 3rd surgery in a month. I've taken every pain medication on the market. My last concoction was 60mg OxiContin twice a day and 30 mg Roxicodone 6 times a day as needed for breakthrough pain. I also took 10mg Valium every night. About 2 months ago, my neurosurgeon recommended the Fentanyl patch. I was a little sceptical but I trust my doctor so I agreed. My initial dose was one 50 mcg/hr patch every 72 hours. I experienced some relief but still needed my breakthrough medication at least twice a day. After 2 weeks, my dose was increased to one 75 mcg/hr patch every 48-72 hours depending on my pain. I now have my life back and rarely need my breakthrough medication."

Gunman (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2015

For Chronic Pain "My husband has been on the 25mcg Fentanyl patch for almost 5 yrs and it has been a life saver for him. The main problem for him is the constipation, which if he drinks his Smooth Move senna tea daily, it relieves the constipation. Also, for people who say the patch comes off, first use skin prep wipes by Smith & Nephew, apply patch and then apply a Tegaderm Film cover over the patch. If you use products like this your patch won't come off and it's waterproof too. Even when you get the 'sweats' the patch will stay on. Most of these products you can get at medical supply stores or ebay."

Rebbee (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2015

For Chronic Pain "Having chronic pain in my whole spine they gave me the Fentanyl patch they started low dosage then they moved me up to 75mg. At this time in my life I was also had hot flashes. I seen no warnings nothing about that. Long story short after the second day I started withdrawing and that people is not a pretty site. I had no idea what was going on. So I never went back on it. There should be a warning to all doctors and pharmacies. I had to pull it off the internet to show my pharmacy."

tsstorm October 9, 2014

For Chronic Pain "I was on 25mcg/72 hours (then every 48 hours) for RSD/CRPS along with Norco for breakthrough pain. This medicine worked great for about the first month or two then stopped. For some reason my body stopped processing it properly and it quit helping me at all. And the side effects were awful (namely weight gain and HORRIBLE sweating!) Also, getting the patches to stay on, even with the overlays (sent free from Mylan- the brand my pharmacy stocked- just call Mylan to get them) was difficult, especially with all the sweating. Happy to be getting off this. Hoping to find something else that will work without the side effects of Fentanyl."

SnowWhyte (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2014