User Reviews for Bydureon to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Bydureon Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 165 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Bydureon

"I have been on bydureon on 2 different occasions over the last year. The first time I took it for about 3 months. I quit because I was getting very lightheaded and nauseous as well as my sugar would drop very low after an injection. After about 6 mos. I thought I'd try again. I changed my injection time to after a meal and would skip my metformin at that meal. It seemed to take care of the sugar crash but still feel awful most the time. Nausea, loss of appetite, and lethargic. I think I'll just stop again. PS. It did work . My a1c dropped from high 7's to low 6's. Just miserable with the side effects."

Matsc (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2019

"Bydureon Pen is about 3 times bigger than the Novolog I was used to. But half of it is for mixing medicine. My sugar dropped from low 300s to mid 200s the very first week. No side effects except feeling full the first few days, but that wore off. My main problem is with the plunger jamming every few pens. I take the pen out of the fridge about 20 min before injection, and smack the mixture about 100 times for it to be uniform... and yes it still jams. I once had to miss about 60-75% of my dose because one pen actually took all of my strength to extract the dose which shot out outside of my body, and at a hundred bucks, I cant afford to waste."

Ed (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2019

"Bydureon Bcise worked effectively in keeping my glucose level low. My fasting glucose readings were all +/- 100 so my numbers were pretty good (were 250 +/-). However, had I known of the risk for Gastric Paresis (GP) I would NEVER taken this at all. I had just taken my 9th injection (9th week) when the GP happened. I can't express how debilitating it is. I'm hoping that as the Bydureon diminishes I may recover -- but it's doubtful. Be warned -- the cure may be worse that the disease."

Rutle8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

"I have had a severe reaction to this medicine. Anxiety, panic attacks, extreme irritability, and restlessness. It feels like all my nerves are exposed. Very painful. Dr. prescribed hydroxaline (sp) and it knocks me out. There is no indication in the side effects about a reaction like this, but I have had it for 6 days since the initial injection."

JC (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2019

"Was on this medication for a little over a year. Great for my blood sugar levels, not so much for weight loss -but then around 6 months - I started loosing my hair. I got off this medicine for the last three weeks, but my hair is still falling out. It's so scary as I have always had a nice head of hair. I read somewhere that if you are 50-60's and you have been on this medication for longer than 6 months this could happen. Wondering if anyone knows how long this will continue and when this medication will be out of my system or will I just continue until I have no hair at all?"

Andi (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2019

"The pens are horrible. The medication doesn't come out. There's at least one bad pen in every package."

Bearbutt December 31, 2018

"Yes have some issues but I don’t believe you need to inject every 7 days, yes if you do that you will experience issues. I do it every month and I am completely cured. Works with people that no higher then 7.5 or so. Trust me you will be fine. I repeat don’t do 7 days only ones a month. Or everyone other week If your sugar is higher then 8.5 or so."

Levi December 17, 2018

"Hello everyone, I'm from the U.K. I have been taking Bydureon for about 30 months alongside Metformin and Jardiance. I have lost weight and I'm now down to 92kg (202 lbs for those in the USA), that's about 10kg since I started taking weekly Bydureon. I find it makes me feel full most of the time and I sometimes get constipation but my results are quite good. My HbA1c has dropped and I've managed to keep off insulin for now. I wonder if one of the main ways of how it works is that the weight loss can restore my own insulin production rather than the drug itself. All medication for Diabetics is free here so I'm unaware how much it costs and we are treated with the medication that most suited to us - irrelevant of the price. The doctors have been very good at supporting me over the last 10 years of my Diabetic journey. I've never really thought about the costs. Best wishes to everyone. Adrian."

adrianfisher9 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 8, 2018

"I have taken five shots and so far I have only had constipation. My numbers are usually good under 150 if I do the food restrictions anything else and I get 200s...I have loss about 10lbs in the month I have been taking Bydureon. I hope to see better results A1C and lose about 20lbs. Good luck to everyone."

Sunshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2018

"I get huge bumps at the injections site. The itching is almost unbearable."

ecec (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2018

"Last night I took my third injection of 2mg Bydureon. I take it once a week on Sunday evenings. I have had no side effects. My stomach does not hurt, I have had no headaches and I’m feeling better than I have in years. I read many reviews before taking this medication and quite honestly I was afraid to take it. This medication has greatly reduced my appetite and my blood sugars went from low 300’s to high 100’s in less than 3 weeks. I haven’t made any changes in my exercise regimen but I am eating less because my appetite has been reduced. I highly recommend this medication. I hope I continue to experience these great benefits to taking this medication."

Daylight November 12, 2018

"I have been on Bydureon for about 5 years! I went through many of the side effects others have posted but they were temporary, I lost weight but I have slipped up with my diet and have gained it back. I am lucky I have insurance that covers almost the entire price, but with a card from the drug maker I get 3 months for free. I have had positive results but they would be much better if I didn't cheat so much. I have had several injections that bled like crazy after I injected it. I now look very closely and try not to hit a vein. A plus for me, it hurts far less if I inject it into a stretch mark. The skin is thinner. I don't like that when you shake it some does come out of the needle and some leaks out after injections. But I guess that it gives me what I need. The injection device is long and hard to put in a small lunch bag cooler. I once was on vacation and had my device fail only happened 3x, but It was user error. Astrazeneca has a wonderful customer service dept."

Ooteem (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 1, 2018

"I’ve been taking this about 3 months. I’ve had some mild side effects but nothing unmanageable - a bit of itching (I chose to do inner thigh) , mild constipation - mild diarrhea- my a1c was 10 - I started checking blood sugar twice daily and it’s dropped from a high of 230 to an average of 111. I’ll get another a1c next month and hoping it confirms significant improvement. Also on metformin and farxiga - have had type 2 about 10 yrs - I let my diet get out of control and my a1c skyrocket. Now on this medication and cut out most bad carbs - it’s made a huge difference and I feel so much better. I’ve lost about 12 lbs without trying. In terms of cost, got manufacturers coupon so it is free —- good luck - I’m sticking with it"

Kelster2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2018

"I have been using Bydureon for about two years. In the first few months I noticed a significant weight reduction, but with annoying flatulence and regurgitation. Over the next few years, my weight barely changed. Blood sugar has gone down, but not yet satisfactory. In some injections, when a vein is injured, it bleeds so bad that I fear that the drug is partially flushed out again. Now, in recent months, I am getting skin lesions of various kinds and I am getting significant listlessness. My doctor had discontinued the drug for four months and the lack of drive disappeared and I was back to my normal self. Since I inject Bydureon again, the listlessness also reappeared."

Basti (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2018

"This is an effective medication in controlling my blood sugar. I have missed a routine dose by four days before and had an a.m. blood sugar in the low 80’s. However it is not user friendly. I am a RN and have done both ER and home health nursing. I have taken care of many patients for who would never be able to handle the medication prep nor the less than straight forward injection. Also of note, at several of my injection sites, I have developed hard knots that have yet to be absorbed. I would not advise that this medication be prescribed for frail or the elderly, the visually impaired, those who have difficulty with fine motor movements or people who have some short term memory problems. Last but certainly not the least this medication is ridiculously expensive and it most likely will not be covered by your insurance. Cost of this medication for me was almost $300.00 a month."

Soupy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2018

"My husband took his 7th injection of Bydureon in early June 2018 within 24 hours he became very ill. Extreme nausea and vomiting dizziness excessive heartburn and burping, he also passed out without warning. It is now mid September and every 2-3 weeks all those side effects are still there just like flipping on a light switch. He will feel fine and then all the sudden without warning he can't function the sickness is beyond extreme, DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON HOW LONG THESE SIDE EFFECTS CAN LAST?"

Worried (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2018

"I have been bloated, with constipation, nausea and eating issues for the 4 weeks I have been on the drug. I am stopping and looking for another alternative. No comment on effectiveness."

Type 2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2018

"To Brownie... I have taken Bydureon for 3 months and had some symptoms like yours. I also had a dull ache upper right abdomen under ribs. Mine also is not gallbladder, liver, or pancreas. I felt sick, nauseated, had periodic vomiting, no energy, nodules at injection sites, itching, cellulitis, burping, bloating and in general have to force myself to do things. I stopped taking Bydureon 2 weeks ago, and am starting to feel better. I still have the nausea and bloating. When I started I was told side effects decrease after 2 weeks, but I felt worse the longer I took it. It did decrease my readings, from the 300’s to the 150’s...still not that great but better. I read it can take up to 10 weeks to be completely out of your system."

Minnesotasue (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

"Yes, this drug does lower your A1C and did work well. I have been on it for a year and I have had aches and joint pain, no energy, no will to do anything which is not like me. I get up and I can't get started doing anything for 2 hours. Six months ago, I developed burning sensation under ribs and the Drs don't know what is causing it. Not gallbladder, no other problems. Did not take injection for l week, no lethargy, no burning, energy back and all around feel better. Back to my old self and actually got some work done around the house. Now I am upset because I don't want to feel this way any more although it does control my blood sugar. Does anyone else have these symptoms?"

Brownie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 8, 2018

"Not working, sugars still out of range."

rick (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

"My husband has been taking Bydureon for two and a half years. His sugars are down, but he experienced nausea, headaches and loss of appetite at the beginning. He has lost some weight also without doing any extra exercise. He still has a general feeling of not knowing what he wants to eat - he complains that food has no taste. He used to eat cereal for breakfast, but now sometimes only eats 1 meal a day, and makes up for it with noodles e.t.c. Will his diet ever get back to normal?"

Minnie (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2018

"Three weeks of taking injections and I woke up this morning to tender left breast and swollen nipple. Hurts to touch. I am not going to take anymore injections. I will just live with high sugars."

Smiley (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

"I was prescribed bydureon injections, after the 1st injection, I couldn't eat, I kept vomiting, running with diarrhea and had a massive headache. Each week the symptoms got worse. By the 4th week I was in the hospital in a coma due to a reaction. Now 7 months later I had to have a thyroid biopsy because a nodule has formed. Thyroid cancer being bydureon injections major side effect."

Hate bydureon (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2018

"I just took my 8th dose of Bydureon. I experience no real pain during injection even though the needle is quite large. I used a bag of frozen peas to numb the site prior to injection. Then I keep a bandaid on the site to keep medication from leaking out. I was on Toujeo insulin 52 units but as of last weeks have been able to stop taking it. I slowly did this. I do suffer with nausea consistently, low energy, and lethargic. I also have no appetite. As of the last two weeks my blood glucose numbers have been good. I am taking the good with the bad."

Bigmouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2018

"Medicine is very good, however, the cost is very high for anyone who has insurance and is on a fixed income"

srv (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 26, 2018