User Reviews for Etonogestrel

Also known as: Implanon, Nexplanon

Learn more about Etonogestrel.

Birth Control 3712 reviews 292 medications

Endometriosis 8 reviews 167 medications

3.8
Summary of Etonogestrel reviews 3720 reviews 4.9

Reviews for Etonogestrel

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got this on 23rd of November 2015, and I can say that I still have it. I noticed in my first year my periods would last to five days up to two weeks and sometimes it was crazy heavy or super light. But it's been two months after my first year and I haven't had a period. I also depression to begin with, and I can say it did mess with it a little bit but also depends on the day as well. But, I believed that's why I lost weight, because after I started getting control over my depression again I started gaining weight again. I haven't had sex yet, I got this as a "just in case" so I can't say anything about that."

Just me1234 December 5, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "On my second year out of three. No acne problems, little weight gain (5-10 pounds) Irregular periods but that's nothing new. Best thing about it, don't have to remember or think about birth control and I haven't got pregnant!!!"

Sky2016 December 4, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Nexplanon works fantastic. I have had it for two years, and it has done its job. However, I haven't had a period for two years, I have no sex drive at all, and I've gained 50+ pounds( but I have a slow metabolism to begin with) other than that, no problems at all."

Jolenee December 4, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "This is the absolute WORSE birth control to get. I've had mine for about two years now and I've gain SO much weight. I went from 115 pounds to 175 in two years. I have never gained so much weight or been so depressed in my life. I cant say it doesn't work. But if you dont want headaches everyday, have fatigue everyday, gain so much weight and ECT do not get it. I just hope this weight comes off when I get it taken out."

cnava0814 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm sixteen years old and yes it had prevented pregnancy and it makes me feel protected. I didn't experience mood swings, depression or anything emotional wise. I did gain about 10 pounds and I can't say that I'm complaining lol. Although honestly I hate it my doctor asked me to come in and get it in while I was on my period. After that i never got off my period and I got a nasty discharge. So I went back to my OBGYN and gave me some pill to "fix my period pattern" which made it worst. I took all the pills and I'm still on my period everyday and it's very heavy.I don't recommend this I don't recommend birth control at all forget sex this is not worth it and I regret it all."

janell822 December 4, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "hmm .. definitely not getting pregnant if you are biting people's heads off when they ask you simple questions nexplanon caused unusual side effects loved it at first but then developed feminine dryness and even pain during vaginal insertion i have been on nexplanon for just under a year it releases on its own it's not a "smart" drug that aligns with your body"

tried it (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 3, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Long story short. I got it inserted march 2014. First yr went well besides anxiety, depression and mood swings. Right after the first year I started to get constant bv ( bacterial vaginosis). AFTER everything!!! And I couldn't figure it out. My face started to break out for MONTHS. I'm not really prone to acne. Did some research and seen others going through the same thing.. finally gotten it taken out October 2014 and I am relieved!!! I haven't had any bv since and my acne is clearing! No more depression, anxiety I'm back to normal! The good thing is it 100% protects you from pregnancy but I couldn't take the side effects. & not to mention when I first started I was 110lbs I'm now 129llb."

Sherry51210 December 3, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the nexplanon insterted on January 27, 2016 & it has been the absolute worst! I've stuck with it hoping it would get better but no such luck. My next period after insertion lasted for four months, after talking to my gyno she said it was normal for the first 6 months because my body was still getting used to it. However, I've gotten my period 3-4 weeks apart & it always lasts no less than 3 weeks! Always minimal bleeding but so annoying! I've called today to set an appointment to get it removed & try to skyla instead. If you have the option to get a different birth control I HIGHLY recommend you do!"

Yudith.P (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Here's the thing iv always had painful very painful cramps. I would know for certain that I would not be able to do anything 1 day out of the month. I was just lay in bed in extreme pain. No meds would help my pain it was the worst thing ever. But then I got nexplanon. And omg I was so happy when I got it my cramps went away I had no pain i felt like the luckiest girl in the world. But then I got my period ... and weeks later I was still on my period.. then months.... then a year. Get my point ? I will be taking this out very soon. It sucks having to buy pads and tampons every day for years.. and being sexual active ? Haha yeah right. This help my cramps but bleeding for 3 years straight. I can't take it anymore"

Ladyju24 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 2, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Nexplanon after being on birth control pills. The insertion was uncomfortable but only because of the numbing shot, actually putting it in just felt like tugging. I tried many different pills before this and with all of them I had irregular bleeding, mood swings, low sex drive, etc. Nexplanon seemed to only make things worse. I became depressed, had mood swings, I had absolutely no sex drive, headaches, and I gained 15 pounds (Not sure if it was my lifestyle because I am a lifeguard and am always swimming). I also had bleeding and spotting for 2 and a half months until my doctor gave a birth control pill to control the bleeding, so now I'm just getting a double dose of hormone. I'm having it removed."

Katieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee December 2, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on nexplanon since august 2015. At first i hated the fact that my period would not stop. I bled for about 3 months on and off, but after that my period stopped. I still spot every now and then but it's never a regular 7 day period. It lasts about 3 days and is incredibly light. Thankfully, I don't have trouble controlling my emotions with the form of birth control. It does not cause mood swings. It has now been over a year and i'm still not pregnant so it does the job."

christile December 2, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "This is the worst thing I ever did to myself. Got this in August 2016 got my period beginning of September and it's now December 2nd and I'm STILL have my period from September. To make matters worse I had surgery on November 18th and since then it's been dark nasty and smells. On that note I have an appointment to get it out on December 6th and hopefully my period goes back to normal. The only reason this birth control works is because who wants to have sex when they have nasty blood coming out of them?!"

Melissak82 December 2, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Best decision I've made is to get Nexplanon. Reliable, long term birth control, with very few side effects. I've gained a small amount of weight (about 10 pounds) but I also gained a similar amount on the traditional pill. I haven't had a single period since getting it, which is amazing. I followed my doctors suggestion of taking my last month of pills on top of my first month of having Nexplanon."

Lizbeth1 December 2, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had the Nexplanon for about 2 months now. The first month I had about three headaches a day, now I get about two a week. I've bleed for a month straight, got a break for a couple weeks but it's back again. I do get nauseous here & there, & my skin is a lot more oily but other than that I can't really complain. I do recommend it became I know no birth control is perfect."

Noelle080 December 2, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Where do I begin, I have been on Nexplanon for about a year and a half now. There was no pain getting it put in, Easy, even for someone who is terribly afraid of needles. The real problem was after, I got so moody and crazy that I would start to cry about it. I was always apologizing to my boyfriend because I felt like I couldn't control my moods. It went away after a couple of months but it comes back here and there. Second, the weight gain. I have never weighed so much in my life, I gained about 30 lbs in the last year, regardless of how healthy I was eating. Third, the acne. I broke out like crazy! Oh and I feel nauseous all the time. The positives now. it controlled my severe cramps. I get a lighter period, even skip it sometimes."

D_92 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Constant bleeding with general unwell feeling for 3 weeks. After that I hoped for sexual adventure. No way! My vagina was a Sahara spotting every second day. My chin covered with lots of painful and big spots which have left scars on my face (I didnt touch them!). I was tired in general and disappointed but still patient. The third month lymph nods under the arm with inserted Nexplanon started to be swollen and painful. My hand became numb occasionally. My face has been swollen too (my friend called me a hamster), I started to be moody and nervous, all my muscles and joints started to pain. Although I was exhausted as never before in my life, I couldnt sleep at night. I have taken this out. I feel like a newborn."

a b c d e f g November 30, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I hate all birth control. I already have anxiety, and the Nexplanon Implant has only increased this in me. I have also developed depression that my husband and I both cant take anymore. I have gained over 20 pounds in a year and am beyond moody. I called my doctor on Tuesday and will be having it taken out on Friday. I'm over this."

Chris S. November 30, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "By far the worst birth control... I got the nexplanon inserted around the early part of July 2016 two weeks after the insertion I started spotting then came my period here it is almost December and I have been on my period since then I've gained ALOT of weight which I'm very unhappy about I really didn't have no side effects besides the weight gain and periods (and no sex "

Renea Burns November 30, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have nothing but GOOD things to say about this form of birth control. I've had the implant for almost 2 years now. Traditionally, and for most of my life, I've had horrendous cramping and long heavy cycles- it was the norm for me to not be able to get out of bed for at least one day a month if I didn't end up in the ER (useless). Other types of birth control have helped slightly, but Nexplanon was EASILY the absolute best decision of my life (no exaggeration). Absolutely no side effects that can't be attributed to something else, virtually NO cramps, acceptable amounts of acne (less than most of my life), and often NO periods at all for months at a time! I'm all but a walking poster child!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2016

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had the rod 18 months now. In this time I've gained weight a developed anxiety that bad I no longer have social life. I am in pain constantly ie back tummy headache I'm exhausted everyday. I don't even feel like a human. Also sore breasts irregular periods and insomnia. Joint pain the lot. Severe mood swings almost bipolar type. Seriously affected me also pain where it was. I personally Wouldn't recommend took over my whole life"

Danyam14 November 28, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Okay so I have been on nexplanon for about three years and a few months ago got a new one. I decided to get it at a young age i was still in high school and my personal symptoms were pretty sucky, at first I didn't feel anything but then I started to feel bloated, moody, sick, gross and gained weight, I used to weigh 135 but since the three years i have gained 100.lbs and slowly still going. It really sucks because it made me feel insecure and my parent's never asked to see the other side effects it was the bloating and acne that i knew of. A year later of being on nexplanon had made me feel weak and nauseous at times, heck i sometimes swore I was pregnant. The good thing about this is it prevents pregnancy and its not a pill. Thats it."

Heath-bar (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 28, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "great birth control device definitely protects from pregnancy! Considering the continuous bleeding "

Angelbabyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had the implanon since June 2015 and I have to say it I hadno pregnancy but the only down sides about it was that no one told me I would have bruising for 10 days on my left arm and that it would hurt so much during that time. My periods have always been regular, each month 3-5 days. But the other down side is the gaining weight. I always weight around 140 and I went up to almost 180. Never had happened and I have been trying to lose weight but nothing seems to work. It's a great birth control but the weight is no good."

Alllleee (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The Nexplanon is a horrible thing to go on I had it put in my arm July 21st 2016 an 2 weeks later I got my period AN I've had it ever since. It's been 5 months. An my acne is horrible an I've gain like 10 pounds"

Jordanmachniakkk November 27, 2016

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "My 15yr old daughter had Nexplanon implanted 3mths ago. Best choice given She has horrible periods & busy schd. Since then she has been sick several times, lost interest in a lot of things she once enjoyed, has continued to have light spotting since the implantation. 2mths ago she had sudden onset of facial swelling. Then 5wks ago she started having sinus/allergy symptoms. After 3 rounds of antibiotics, a steroid+starting allergy pill + nose spray she has not gotten better at all. Actually seems to have gotten worse. She's miserable. She has constant cold chills, head aches, Shortness of breath, restless sleep & moodiness. She's almost seems depressed. She has had spotting the entire 3mths since implanted. She goes Monday to get it removed"

Momma concerned November 27, 2016