User Reviews for Etonogestrel

Also known as: Nexplanon

Etonogestrel has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 6,328 ratings on Drugs.com. 36% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
5.4
Endometriosis  Off-label
4.1
Summary of Etonogestrel reviews 5.4 6,328 reviews

Reviews for Etonogestrel

Megan · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 19, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on birth control for as long as I could remember. I’ve tried the pill the depo shot and the patches. I got nexplanon inserted three years ago mainly because I didn’t want to remember having to take a pill or set up a doctors appointment for the injection. The first year was fine but after that my whole life turned upside down. I didn’t relate it to the birth control but I’ve had severe depression and anxiety, which I’ve never experienced in my life until nexplanon. This needs to be taken off the market. I’m a very mean person on it and I get my period for weeks at a time. I’m always crying and being irrational and not to mention the horrible acne this thing puts out. Worse experience of my entire life. I can’t even begin to explain the emotional rollercoaster this type of birth control has put me through”

KitKat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 18, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “Nexplanon is not worth the mental toll it takes on your daily life. I’m willing to cut it out of my own arm at this point. I’m constantly pushing away my loved ones every night. I have had more mood swings and suicidal thoughts than my entire life and I have a good partner, promoted to my dream job and none of those things matter anymore. The joys in life are gone. It’s like having split personalities with this product. The one I got four years ago was great and I would only cry at stupid things. This time around I can’t stand to be alive. Don’t do it. Find another way there is something wrong with this product.”

J September 12, 2020

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I have had my nexplanon implant in for 1.5 years and I had it Removed 20th Aug 2020. X 3 days later the nightmare kicks in!!! Can someone tell me when this will end? ... note: 0 historic mental health problems (current nightmare = severe anxiety ! Sometimes panic attacks! High heart rate! Dizziness! Dream like state of mind, confusion, frustration, irritation, mood swings, lack of control. NOT MYSELF whatsoever! Asked Dr (male) he informed me as well as the Dr who removed it (lady) is that this was not related to the implant removal. I think the removal has caused a serious hormonal imbalance in my body. Can anyone relate? If so please leave a message/comment. I am 34 years old and it’s scary so if there are any young girls / ladies out there your not alone! Take care my fellow soldiers. Xx”

Future nurse March 23, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “The insertion was fine and other than a little spotting here and there I didn’t have a period. However my mood and attitude towards life has completely shifted and has negatively affected my life and relationships. I get angry and argue with my boyfriend over the stupidest things. He always says I “make something out of nothing” and I didn’t usually like to be like that. I describe the feeling as being stuck in a mood that you know is irrational but you CANNOT get out of it!! Also like others have said, any time I get into one of these arguments with my boyfriend my first thought is “I want to break up with you and move out”. I hate feeling that way because we’ve been together 4 years and I am happy with him. I experienced depression, extreme anxiety, and intrusive thoughts as well. I lost motivation to complete schoolwork for my dream degree. All in all I have an appointment today to remove the implant and I can’t wait to start feeling better.”

Friendly MA · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 9, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “So for those of you who wanted this implant because Vanessa huges smiled on tv and didn’t do your research about birth control please listen. This form of BC has no estrogen in it, it benefits people who are prone to or have… heavy bleeding cycle, endometriosis, HTN. This is a progesterone example which is a class of steroids and also synthetic to the natural progesterone you make in your body. So if you are having mood swings or other mental health problems seek therapy and talk to your healthcare provider. You may need to be on a combination pill instead of this rx. Also for anyone who is reading this that is new to BC most BC messes with your mental health because you’re trying to manipulate your natural hormones sooooo…… speak with a professional instead of google ok”

Anonymous July 19, 2010

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I was very nervous about trying Implanon after reading all the negative reviews, but went ahead with it anyway. The procedure was quick and practically painless. The spot was tender for a few days and I did have an ugly bruise and now a tiny scar, but nothing that is too terrible. I started Implanon while I was on my period, which lasted for about 21/2 weeks, give or take. But the bleeding was minimal and it wasn't too bad. Then after that period ended, nothing. I haven't had a period since I had the device inserted in December of 09. I haven't noticed any weight gain or unusual moodiness. This has been the best birth control I've ever been on. My advice, give it a chance. Don't let the negative reviews scare you away!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2020

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “Nexplanon is a NIGHTMARE! By far the worst contraception I have ever had, I never leave reviews but I would not want anyone to go through what I have with the implant. I have been on contraception since a young age due to acne (the pill) and I think this has always affected my anxiety but since being on the implant my anxiety has gone through the roof it’s unbearable. I’m constantly tired, constantly anxious, battling trying to get out of a constant low mood, it’s honestly horrible as well as dealing with horrible negative and intrusive thoughts!! It’s a great way of not getting pregnant but it’s not worth it at all, it’s a constant battle to try and feel and remember what your old self was like! I’ve had no bleeding but I would rather have a period every week than have these side effects!”

Anonymous October 26, 2020

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I had the Nexplanon removed just over a week ago and I can already feel myself becoming myself again, I struggled awfully with a depressed mood and intrusive thoughts and they are definitely going (slowly but surely) I don’t feel as anxious, my boobs don’t hurt, I haven’t had headaches, my arm doesn’t itch, I’m not constantly tired, my sex drive is coming back. It’s crazy how much it has made a difference but if anyone is going through a similar thing, don’t worry :) Also the removal was absolutely fine, it was a little painful with the anaesthetic but it was over in about 30 seconds!! I hope this helps”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “Hi ladies , I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your experiences . I have had the Nexplanon implant in for 5 weeks now and I am having it removed in two days. I feel like I am going crazy. I have never suffered much with anxiety but over the past few weeks I’ve been crying non stop and having very dark thoughts that I am sick and dying. The anxiety is causing me to be very sad and emotional and worry about everything . Reading all of your stories gives me hope that everything I am not going mad and that the hormones will balance out once removed. Thank you”

Steph March 29, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “It’s been less than four months since I got nexplanon inserted and I want to get it taken out. It’s done its job in preventing pregnancy, however it has negatively impacted me both physically and mentally. I have been bleeding nonstop since I got it put in and this has resulted in a lot of inconvenience in my life as I am always bleeding, and having already been used to tampons my fear of getting a bacterial infection or toxic shock syndrome has increased to the point I switched back to pads. I can’t continue like this. The first month I was having terrible mood swings and pushing my boyfriend away. It went away for a little put I have started feeling uncontrollably sad, worthless, and unhappy again. I don’t think keeping it in any longer is worth it tbh :( it’s sad but I’m writing this right after I finished crying for the night because I feel so sad). If you suffer from some form of anxiety and depression already, your mental state may be further negatively impacted.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 17, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I’ve had nexplanon in the past a couple times and it was literally the best birth control ever invented.... HOWEVER after having my first child I needed to go back on birth control and of course nexplanon was my first choice. I had it in for a few months and everything was normal but then I started to experience some anxiety. I just assumed it was like everyday life. I ended up removing the birth control because I now have extreme anxiety and panic attacks along with depression!!! It has completely ruined my life. It’s hard to do everyday things and even take care of my baby. I spend a lot of time in bed and that’s not the type of person I am. Hoping after the hormones are gone out of my body that I will start to feel better. Anyone felt better after the removal?”

Anonymous June 25, 2010

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I'm posting after reading all the negative side effects of Implanon. I had Implanon inserted over a month ago and have not had any terrible side effects. I had light spotting the second week. I noticed food cravings but it is nothing unbearable. Before starting Implanon I had begun weight watchers and an exercise routine, I've been sticking with it and have continued to lose weight while on Implanon. The insertion process was not a big deal either, the lidocaine pinched but after that the only feeling was pressure during insertion. Slight bruising and tenderness after but only for a a few days. I hope this post reaches out to someone because I almost backed out last minute due to all of the negative posts on this product.”

Nat March 9, 2020

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I was really excited to start a new birth control method because a mother of 2, being really sexually active with my partner. I’m simply not ready for another kid. I got the nexplanon back in December of 2019, its been a little less than 3 months and I am having constant suicidal thoughts, I catch myself having an anxiety attack while working and it’d make me go home to sleep it off. I thought it was just me overthinking about all my problems, but in reality, I have never had these feelings and thoughts in the past. I catch myself wanting to cry every single day, Not wanting to do anything but stay home and sleep, I literally told my partner “I don’t think I’m ok, I am going crazy. I feel like I am about to lose my breath and my heart races at the same time”. I have lost so much weight, my anxiety and depression have gotten so bad that I am having dark thoughts.... I’ve always been an uplifting, goofy person. I will be making an appointment to get this removed ASAP!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel): “I got the nexplanon birth control in May, and it’s July and I got it out today. I didn’t feel any side effects for the first month but I remember the day that all shifted and I haven’t felt the same. Constantly depressed and have super bad anxiety. My brain has been telling me to push my parter away, when all I want to do is be around him. Cry all the time, I have no motivation. Night terrors, and I feel like there’s no happiness around me when that’s all there is. I’ve never felt like this before and can’t wait to start feeling normal again”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 8, 2020

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “Getting Nexplanon was the WORST decision I have ever made. Decided to trust the research I did- which was all from the drug company and Planned Parenthood. When I first got it I was severely bruised for two weeks, my whole arm was swollen and painful, and the whole time I had it it would poke inside my arm which was very uncomfortable and I was always scared it had moved. I was so anxious that I had to stop intaking caffeine, I would cry all the time for no reason and I was so depressed I wanted to die. I gained like 30 pounds over the course of six months, because the places I'd researched said that weight gain was not considered a real side effect. When I finally got this abomination out, it took MONTHS to get back to normal and for my hormones to settle again. This is NOT worth it, I am begging you please don't get this and read forums with people's real experiences if you do decide to do so!! Extreme weight gain is a very common side effect! I felt like I lost control, it was horrible.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 9, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I got nexplanon in Aug 2018. Honestly the worst birth control experience I’ve had. I have month long periods (with only 3 weeks in between cycles), complete with cramping, bloating and irritability for the entire duration. My anxiety and depression has skyrocketed, along with suicidal thoughts. I get severe migraines now (never had in the past), my sex drive is completely gone, and I’ve been getting horrible acne on my face and back (also didn’t have in the past). I feel a constant fatigue. I gained 20lbs in the first 6 months of having it, and can’t seem to lose the weight no matter how hard I try. And on top of all - recently I’ve started getting shooting pain around the site of my implant, and my whole arm feels numb and weak when that happens. I’m getting it removed in 2 weeks because I cannot continue with all of these side effects.”

M March 29, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel): “DON'T DO IT SIS! I went on Nexplanon about 2 years ago & these have been my side effects 1. Unrelenting Cystic acne. 2. Extremely long periods - Sometimes up to a month. 3. Extreme Anxiety and Depression - THIS WAS THE WORST - I suddenly felt suicidal. I tried very hard to fight this on my own. I deleted all my social media accounts, limited phone time, was deliberate about music and TV and spent time with people who I felt were good for me. No matter what, I would cry. Everything would trigger me - books, tv shows, compliments EVERYTHING. I was always sad, I would look in the mirror and just start crying. Mediation didn't work, my positive affirmations didn't work, going vegan didn't work, avoiding alcohol and coffee didn't work, getting dressed up or doing things I loved didn't work. The only thing that worked was taking it out. I have had it out for two weeks now. I still have the acne, some of the weight gain but suddenly I can cope. Don't do it sis!”

just reviewing 4 you August 4, 2009

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I honestly LOVE Implanon! I am a worry wort and not worrying with the monthly pregnancy scare has been fabulous. I have mood swings (but I've always been hormonal). I almost chickened out after reading online reviews but I'm glad I didn't. No weight gain. No acne. Slight bleeding. Highly recommended by me. ”

Shannpn June 4, 2020

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “PLEASE READ: Many of my friends recommended Nexplanon to me. I thought this was a wonderful idea, as I was very inconsistent on the pill (I was inconsistent). I am nearly three months into having Nexplanon, and I want to rip it out. The irregular bleeding is very light, and not an issue. Instead, it's the emotional stress. I am usually a happy-go-lucky person, and I am now so beyond depressed, can't fall asleep at night because I am profusely crying. I try to sleep throughout the day because of how sad I am, I just want to shut my mind off. My eyes are so puffy from crying. I felt borderline suicidal. I have had to start seeing a therapist, have NEVER felt this awful, depressed, guilty, paranoid, and sad in my entire life. I have no motivation. I can't get out of bed. I have even completely lost my appetite, and I throw up my food. I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. And nobody warned me about these side-affects. I would never recommend this to anyone. I plan on getting it out ASAP.”

Fieryredhead2021 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2021

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “Nexplanon completely uprooted my life. Although I never gained weight (I actually lost 20lbs) I experienced the most intense anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts of my entire life. Every single day I would wake up in a panic attack, and falling asleep was nearly impossible. My brain would never turn off, and the intrusive thoughts would cause me to break down in tears daily. My hair started falling out and thinning. I would get irrational fears that would consume me to the point of never leaving my house and trying to spend all of my time sleeping to avoid reality. I’m getting it removed in 9 days, and I really hope this stops. I nearly took my own life because of this implant, it made all of the vibrancy drain from my life- I even had to break up with my romantic partner because I just couldn’t energetically show up for the relationship due to the depression and anxiety.”

KatG June 8, 2020

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I wanna start by saying people usually only write these reviews if they are unhappy. Your body could react differently you just never know until you try it. I used Nexplanon for about 3 months. Almost immediately I would get these waves of nauseousness and I would feel like I needed to throw up, and diarrhea at the same time. My entire body would severely sweat and my heart would beat like crazy. Later, I found out it was actually just a panic attack. Anyway, these nausea waves lasted a good 2 weeks, and then completely stopped. And everything was great. No period. No nausea, no depression. Absolutely nothing and I was very happy. Then.. just about 2 weeks ago my anxiety has become so bad that I literally can not leave my house. The nausea is back, I have crying spells and I seriously just feel HORRIBLE mentally. Prior to this, I do have a long history with mental illness, but never like this. I’m removing it tomorrow for my own health.”

Anonymous January 4, 2010

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I have one child and I always knew that I didn't want to have children so close together for the sake of my sanity! I'm not good with remembering pills so after a few scares I decided to give Implanon a try. Insertion was a breeze! My arm was sore for about a week afterwards, and then my arm usage was all back to normal. I haven't had ANY bleeding, dischagres, weight gain, lost of sex drive, headaches, etc. In fact I had a lost appetite, increased sex drive, and wonderful sex life knowing that babies wont evolve. I would recommend this product to anyone BUT I always say that everything is not the same for everyone.”

Zena Deena December 29, 2020

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I just want to say thank you to all the ladies who shared their experiences with nexplanon on here. I actually got my prescription, and made an appointment with my doctor to get the nexplanon inserted in two days time. Deep down though, I felt uneasy about the whole thing. I thought that the feeling would go away, but as my appointment date got closer, the uneasiness grew stronger. I thought I'd do some further research for a peace of mind, and then I found this forum, and I am so glad I did! I have suffered (still do) from anxiety and depression for most of my life, and having read that so many womens mental health declined further after getting on the nexplanon, was just the confirmation I needed. I also read that some women didn't have any negative side effects and that's awesome, BUT it's not a risk I am willing to take. Thanks heaps ladies, I'll be cancelling my appointment today!”

Rikky · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 23, 2020

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “I wanted to choose this type of birth control because I knew so many people who had it. My experience with Nexplanon was amazing and I enjoyed every minute of it. I did not even notice it was there. I lost weight, my skin has never been better and I have been so happy! I was super nervous to get this because online everyone says how “sucky” it is but it’s because they gains weight - so you have to watch what you eat. Hahah of course people who enjoy the Nexplanon are not going to get on these forums as often because they just keep going on with their life. Fifteen of my friends have Nexplanon and we all love it so much! If you are thinking about doing it, do it! The insert process is SO simple. You may get a little bruised, but not bad!”

Blood Factory · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 4, 2020

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: “Don't get Nexplanon put in.. It's pretty effective at not getting me pregnant... because I'm not having sex.... because I'm on my period CONSTANTLY. I've always had 7 day long periods, and now I'm bleeding HEAVILY for months at a time. I only go a month and a half tops without my period and then BAM. I'm bleeding for another 2 months. I am on my period more than I am NOT on my period. The money that I have spent on feminine products.. I don't even want to talk about it. I thought it would regulate itself after a year or so, but my periods just kept getting L O N G E R. I feel at this point I'm immortal. No living creature can sit there and bleed for months on end and still be alive. I could feed a small vampire clan and they would never even have to bite me.”