User Reviews for Etonogestrel

Also known as: Implanon, Nexplanon

Learn more about Etonogestrel.

Birth Control 4495 reviews 300 medications

5.9
Endometriosis 11 reviews 106 medications

4.1
Summary of Etonogestrel reviews 4506 reviews 5.0

Reviews for Etonogestrel

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had my implant for 3 years. The good points; Hardly no periods - no pain Bad points; My skin was a little bad but not terrible. Gained weight by nearly 2 stone Felt lazy and no motivation. Terrible mood swings No sex drive I stayed on the implant as it was the easiest option for protection. I have just had the implant taken out and can't wait to feel back to the norm."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Nexplanon inserted 6 weeks after I had our son in 2015. This has been the first birth control I have ever used, recommended by a friend of mine and my doctor agreed it was a great as well. It is now Fall 2017 and no complaints from me! I have not had a period in nearly two years. Very effective, we have never used any other protection besides this, after the recommended wait before we got to boogying again. My son is still our only child so far if that tells you something (lol). No cramps, spotting or acne. I did gain weight, but I was a stay at home mom for a while when my son was an infant and I had bad eating habits, so I'm not entirely sure Nexplanon is to blame. I have BCBS insurance that covered the entire cost."

MandaPanda21 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on this medication for two years. It has been very affective in preventing pregnancy but the weight gain has been outrageous. I gained 30lbs since having it inserted. I'm vegan and go to the gym 3x a week, also I have a very physical job and still gained weight. Come my 3 year anniversary it will be removed and I will try something else."

SammiePerns September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the implanon inserted in March 2017 and at first I hated it and wanted it out straight away within the first 2 months. My sex drive was fine. My mental state was fine too (I have suffered with severe depression before so was worried it would effect this but it didn't thankfully or hasn't so far!). I had just gotten into a relationship and the implanon made my skin go real bad. My face was in so much pain it really got me down as I just felt so ugly and fed up. So I went back to my doctor for advice and she put me on the pill for 3 months alongside the implanon. This worked a treat! My skin cleared up (sudocrem also helped a lot) so after 3 months I came back off the pill and things seem to be fine now. Give it a chance :)"

Ces93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Rating this a 9 because I spotted for a month after insertion. I have my period every other month with the same flow as before. No weight gain, acne, or mood swings. Just had my first bar removed and another put in. Insertion and removal is easy. The area is numbed with local anesthesia. Every woman is different and it may take some trial and error to find a birth control that works for you! I chose this BC because I was sick of having to worry about the pill. Plus, Implanon is practically 100% effective! Don't be scared of all the negative reviews. Most people only write reviews when they are displeased!"

Maddiexroarr September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Endometriosis: "This is actually my 2nd implant after the 3 plus yrs on the other one! When it is time for you to get it removed, your body is EXTREMELY tired, at least I was. I already suffer with depression but sometimes I am sadder than normal. I got 2nd one put in by this freak Planned Parenthood nurse who does not believe that someone can be celibate for 3 plus yrs! She yanked the other one out and shoved another in the same spot, then she tied the bandage around my arm too tight! I loosened it when I got home that night, nurse from hell! That device is $800 dollars, the removal and the re insertion. What freaks me out the most is the loss of my period, it stopped in July 2017, its September, I actual miss it. Where did it go and why do I get yeast infections."

Nexplanon Freak17 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Nexplanon for 4.5 years. My first one was GREAT! Aside from hurting when they put it in, and skin sensitivity at the insertion point for about a month, it was great birth control. It's more effective than tubal ligation. And you don't have to remember to take any pills. You can't get baby fever and decide to stop taking birth control. It's temporarily permanent. I had the first implant removed at 3 years, and had my 2nd one inserted. It was placed deeper in my arm than the first one. No skin sensitivity, but from insertion, I had SO many side effects with the second one. Weight gain, periods that would last 10+ days every 4-6 weeks. Random brown spotting. Mood swings. Hormonal acne. Got it removed. Hallelujah!"

Trish1895 September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had this inserted in January this year. I am getting it taken out because I cannot handle it any longer. I have been bleeding for months on end, with like a 2-3 day window of normality. It was really the only birth control I could take so I really tried to stick it out, because they say after 6-8 months it should settle. It hasn't. I really hope this works for some people but it has made my life so difficult. Mood swings, anger, irritability is through the roof. Good luck, I hope you don't have the same experience."

Ellie2345678 September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had this for 3 months and bled non stop. It completely screwed up my hormones. I felt insane and couldn't control my moods. I had horrible cramping, headaches and bled for 3 entire months, nonstop. When I finally decided to have this removed, it took 1 and a half hours and my doctor had to cut my arm twice to find it since it had migrated. Horrible, horrible experience. I would never get anything like this again. :("

CallieAnne123456 September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my first Implanon at age 25 after the pill (many versions of it) failed me miserably for years in terms of side effects. I opted for Implanon because the hormones/chemicals are so different from the pill, so I was hoping for at least different side effects. Honestly I'm very happy with the Implanon and I've had it for 5 years now. It's done its job of preventing pregnancy perfectly. As for side effects - there are side effects to ALL medication containing hormones, there are simply no exceptions, your hormone levels influence your moods, weight, appearance, everything. There's no way around side effects. I've had long periods and a bit of weight gain, that's it. I can deal with that better than with a baby so hey, I win."

Morgaineeeee September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "This is the best birth control, I never even notice it. It last for 3 years. And this is my second round, the removal and insertion was painless and simple."

THK September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I love it! My biggest concern before getting it was that it would be painful to insert because that's what I'd heard, but it actually wasn't at all. The doctor numbed the area, which stung a little bit, but after that, I literally felt nothing; he was done before I even realized he'd started. The most uncomfortable part was the tight wrap that has to stay on overnight. The next day I barely felt it. The 2nd day after, it wasn't even sensitive anymore. As far as side effects go, I find it interesting that people complain about spotting. With any progesterone birth control there is a probability of spotting. I had random spotting with the patch and the pill. At least with this one I don't have to remember to take or replace anything."

LSUmom (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on nexplanon for little over 3 years. When I first had it inserted, I didn't have my period for 2 months. By the 3rd month I have very faint spotted bleeding. I did get a big nauseated, and had headaches. By the 4th month I had a really heavy flow that lasted 2 weeks straight after the two weeks it lightened up over 3 days to nothing. From there I was fine, no cramps, no bleeding for 3 months. By then, it would be marked as my 7th month since the implant. I bled for a solid 12 days. And they felt like the worst cramps ever. I literally just stayed in bed for the first 7 days and as 3 weeks before bleeding, I experienced period cramps. Since then my period was consistent. It came every 3 months and last a little over a week."

CobaltBariumEinstin September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "While this birth control is HIGHLY effective (ie. No periods, Effective control of not getting pregnant) I have gotten a ton of side effects that were NOT worth it to me. Firstly, after a month of getting it, I starting getting chin hairs and it has gradually gotten worse over the past six months. Like a mild beard. Not only has the hair been embarrassing and I complete blow to my self-esteem I have also developed in-grown hairs to go along with it and scars that won't go away. Secondly, I have gotten the absolute WORST acne. Lastly, I have gained 30 lbs immediately after getting this implant and my diet is fairly healthy and I also am very active so there is no other reason for me to gain weight except for Nexplanon."

SunnyLove September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have the implanon for 15 years now. The most effective contraception. No period for 15 years. No side effects whatsoever"

Suz29 September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got nexplanon inserted on the second day of my period which was 8/12/17. The placement was a lot less painful than the Mirena I tried a few years ago (that expelled twice). My arm was sore for a few days to a week after. I was aware of the issues with the period irregularities of this but was hoping for the best. I do know a few people that nexplanon has been a good choice for. As for me, I've been bleeding since 8/11. Just when you think it slows down (the brownish tinged discharge you would at the end of your period), it starts up again as bright red, and with possible clots. Sometimes it's just light and then other times it's heavy. My Dr just gave meds to help w/ the bleeding...we'll see how it works."

Idk about this (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got this inserted in April .. going on 5 months now. I have had period , after period, after period and they last about 2 weeks.. no sex drive, headaches, acne, mood swings like no other. I'm tired of feeling sick to my stomach day in and day out. How am I supposed to care for my 7 yr old while going through this?!?! All my doctor told me is it's not regulated yet give it 4-6 months.. 4-6 MONTHS???? I get cramps but not the normal period cramping.. it's down lower and hurts like hell :(. I wanted this to work out but I'm not going to go through this for 3 yrs.."

Calikai September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been freaking out recently, because I just don't understand what's going on down there or inside my body. I didn't have a period for about 6 months, but then early this year I experienced some random spotting. The following month I had a full blown period but then pinky brown spotting that didn't stop for months. I was in and out of the doctors insisting that there was something up, but I had several blood tests and a transvaginal ultra sound and all was clear other than one harmless cyst on my ovary, which the technician said most women have month by month but never know. I get brown spotting for about a week after my period every month and pain after orgasming. I can only assume this is the implant now as all tests show nothing..."

GM12345 September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the implanon for 1 yr and 11 months almost 2 yrs. This was my very first and only birth control I've used. Implanon doesn't have to be replaced until every 3 years but decided to take it out after trying it for almost 2 yrs. This birth control does what it's supposed to do it works plus you don't have to worry about until once every 3yrs . My experience was depression, weight gain, hair lost, anxiety, bloating, no sex drive and would get my period every 2 months and when it did it lasted up to 2 weeks. Took it out today hope things go back to normal. Any other birth control methods recommend?"

Koolmommy (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on Nexplanon for precisely 3 months. I got it out yesterday and switched immediately. I wanted it to work so badly but with the severe vaginal dryness and painful intercourse, I decided it just wasn't worth it. I was on a combined pill Chateal before this for 3 years. I never had the dryness problem on Chateal. Nexplanon was wonderful for my energy level, state of mind and NO periods at all! For me though, I had to have it taken out because continual painful intercourse and vag dryness for 3 months was not acceptable. I believe my body needs a combined pill, a little estrogen to help me stay wet. Now I'm on a lower dose combined pill, Aubra."

Christy123769484719 September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 18 years old and I got the implant about a month and a half ago, almost two months ago . So far I've had a little bit of random acne appearing on my face , and I've been feeling a bit bloated . My only concern is the way it makes your period irregular . For example I normally get mins for 4-5 days , but today is day 7 or 8 and that's kind of concerning ."

Ehlyssuh (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had Nexplanon for 7 months. I'm rating it an 8 because I have only one complaint: mood swings. I'm a pretty sensitive person, but on Nexplanon I've experienced (about once a month) a very serious sadness, almost like depression, when nothing at all was wrong. Previous to this I was taking the pill (Apri) and I experienced some mood swings, but nothing compared to on this. On the positive side, I love everything else about Nexplanon! I don't have to worry about taking a pill every day or picking up prescription on time, insertion was quick and easy (Planned Parenthood) and I did have spotting a few months (for 10 days, then 12 days) but other than that my period has disappeared which is nice. It's not for everyone but I recommend!"

ingrid08 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on my period for 4 months now and I don't know what to do! I haven't talked to a doctor because I was told this was one of the side affects but they said after the first 3-6 months this is how your cycle would be for the rest of the time on the implant and I don't think I can keep bleeding for 3 more years. I am also anemic which doesn't help and also sexually active and I haven't been able to use my birth control for what it's for. I'm very frustrated and in pain. Please help."

Mram816 September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I love this birth control it's very effective. I get my period once or twice a year which is awesome. I don't have any side effects which is great. But I only have one complain I got a Lump on my breast. Thank goodness it's not cancer but it's painful. I am currently taking antibiotics because that lump turn into an infection. I'm about to remove the nexplanon and get another implant. Just because I don't think that the lump is that serious."

Abby9Hdz0 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had my implant for a year now and tho it has prevent a pregnancy the first 3 months were great no complaints but then I started getting headaches everyday. I stuck with it cause I wanted my body to adjust to the implant but then my periods went from a week long to now they are almost 2 months long! I get maybe a week and a half off no bleeding at most. I had an IUD and loved it but I want to start having kids in October after my wedding. I can't do the pill everyday and don't want the shot either but I am sick and tired of these periods. Also does anyone else get severe cramps after an orgasm since you've had this implant?"

Kaci P September 11, 2017