User Reviews for Etonogestrel

Endometriosis
4.1

Summary of Etonogestrel reviews 5.7 5,261 reviews

Reviews for Etonogestrel

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "It worked for one year. Then I started having pain in my arm where the nexplanon was under the skin. Then I had a menstrual cycle that lasted over 7 months straight. I went to my doctor several times in reference to this issue. I finally made the decision to have the it removed. I’m still having pain in my arm from my arm healing. Which has been over a year ago. I can not recommend this product for women. I’m not the one that’s had this health issue with using nexplanon."

Unhappy lady (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 12, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Nexplanon inserted about 7 months ago. My experience has not been as bad as the ones I have read on here, which is why I am leaving a review. Since insertion, I have not had my period (which is kind of nice). I don't experience any of the mood swings or depression others talk about. The only negatives I have noticed, are occasional acne, and I have gained 10 lbs since then. Not sure if that is specific to the implant though, it could be other factors."

RE (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 11, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "For birth control it works AMAZING at preventing pregnancy, but the garbage it comes with is not worth it. I struggle to remember taking the pill, and this implant seemed much better than IUD insertion. I got it put in, all seems well, and I get my period on time. But the period never goes away and its a downward spiral from there. I kid you not I bled heavily for 7 months straight non stop, and suffered greatly because of it. My depression became horrible, chronically fatigued all the time, painful cramps, frequent dizzy spells, and I developed a slight iron deficiency from losing iron from so much bleeding, to the point to where I had to go to the ER from almost blacking out. Do not get this product. I was an idiot who ignored the reviews and stories, thinking I’d somehow be different. Don’t make the same mistake I did."

AestheticAddict (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 11, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "It started off great I had no periods then I went to being slight periods & spotting..& now I’m on my second year with it and is been bleeding for about a whole month now and I’m back to spotting. Everyone's body reacts different to birth controls but I wasn’t like this with the shot so I’m over it - I can’t go on bleeding for this long"

Netta October 10, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I loved the idea of how convenient this birth control was but if you’re anyone who suffers from any type of anxiety or depression; I strongly suggest you don’t try this method. I had the worst experience of my life with mood swings, lows and lots of crying even while taking anti depressants with the birth control. I only had it for 4 months and immediately felt the difference in my body. Crazy how an inch rod can do some damage."

Dest (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I bled for 6 months after getting this and had bad mood swings. I finally got it removed and am going on the pill instead. "

Cch (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 10, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been using it for about 7 months now and the first month it made my period a bit heavier but now I have really light periods every now and then. I haven't had any other issues with it at all, I'm so glad this exists. I'm 18 so this is a much better solution for me because I have a hard time remembering to take the pill and I'm too scared to get anything in my vagina (like IUD) except for a condom lol, anyways all in all a very good product"

Anathema (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I tried to do a lot of research before getting this birth control implant, but apparently I didn't do enough. I would not recommend this birth control to anybody. In the weeks right after I had the Nexplanon inserted, I had the absolute worst mood swings. I was horribly irritable and depressed for absolutely no reason at all for about three weeks. I had some mild cramping and spotting all throughout my time on the Nexplanon, but nothing crazy like I've seen in other reviews. However, the deal breaker for me was the insane weight gain that I experienced. I gained 20+ pounds in less than 6 months on this birth control that would not come off even with a very healthy diet and regular exercise. I made the decision to get the implant removed and it was the best decision I could have made. As soon as I got it out, I had dropped 5 pounds in three days. I started to feel like myself again. If you have weight issues, DO NOT get this birth control. You will regret it!"

avsgirl1996 October 9, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Nexplanon about 5 years ago, and I’m on my second round. I was horrible at remembering to take the pill and just wanted something that would prevent pregnancy. 4 1/2 years into this, I’m considering getting it removed. I’m almost 21, I still break out like I’m 14, I wouldn’t say I’ve struggled with weight gain, but I can tell my hormones are way out of wack. I’m so emotional all the time and I was also recently diagnosed with an anxiety disorder- I think this could be a contributor. This first couple years on this birth control were great. I had a period once every 9 mo., then once every 6 mo., down to once every 3 mo.. At this point, I’m having periods that will last 2-3 months, go away for a few weeks, then come back. I would recommend this to those who can’t make the commitment to taking the pill, but be prepared for how irregular your periods may become."

Sid October 9, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I first thought this product was great. But a few months after insertion, it caused progressively worsening mood swings, depression, and anxiety. Additionally, my periods became even longer and heavier as time went on. After about a year and a half, I went to my OBGYN and started crying for no reason. She said, "Did you know depression is a side effect of Nexplanon?" Of course, I had no idea. I made an appointment the very next day to take it out. As soon as they took the implant out, I instantly felt better. Daily pills may be a pain, but they're MUCH better than this damn product. Don't put this in your body!"

CP (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 7, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm on my second round of the nexplanon and for me and my body, the only thing I've experienced was the irregular bleeding and some minor weight gain. After a while, my period just comes every other month. I never really had cramps or super heavy periods and this just made my periods even lighter. I have experienced some weight gain but when you get into a relationship and you're happy you obviously are going to gain weight. I began to just eat healthier, portion my food, always drank hot green tea after my meals, drink LOTS of water, and exercise and I lost majority of all the weight I've gained. Ladies, just remember mind over matter !"

KP (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 6, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I read reviews but still tried nexplanon for birth control and regret the decision immensely. I bled so much that I had to go to the ER. The bleeding was constant for 3 weeks before I could get an appointment to get the implant removed. I would NEVER recommend this to anyone. Worst birth control experience ever."

Divineglory (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The main reason I wanted to try the Nexplanon was because of my sister. She’s going on her 6th year now and has never had a period, except for the first year. Selfish of me to think I’d get the same results, right? I’ve had it for about a year and 10 months and I’m getting it removed in 2 weeks! The first year wasn’t too bad, no periods! Besides some spotting when I first got it in, but that was expected. Year 2? Terrible. I get 2 periods a month that last a full 7 days and it’s heavy. Before I got the Nexplanon my periods were not heavy at all and lasted 5 days at the most! I’ve also gained 30 pounds over the year. Yeah, it works...I’m not pregnant. But the constant periods are NOT worth it. Glad I’m getting it removed!"

MSSmommy (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 6, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on Nexplanon for 2.5 months. I experienced major mood swings, acne and gained over 25lbs. It was convenient in that I didn't have to worry about a pill each day but I couldn't handle the side effects. As soon as I had it removed, I lost 4lbs the first week. I ended up going back on Portia (pills)."

Jewels (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I was 16 when I decided to get nexplanon and I was very ignorant about the whole subject. All I knew was it was a little bar in my arm and I wouldn’t have to worry about a baby for at least 3 years, sounds great right? The whole 2 years I was on it I constantly bled. And sometimes it wasn’t bad just a little spotting but then other times it was real bad. It was always so uncomfortable, my poor boyfriend had to deal with the backlash from the drug as well. And not only did I bleed but odor was involved too. It was so embarrassing. Nexplanon I believe really does prevent pregnancy but with all the side affects I would have rather stayed on the pill. When I got my bar removed I was terrified. You hear all the horror story’s about it breaking in your arm and it getting stuck but honestly as long as your doctor knows what they are doing then it’s a perfectly fine removal. If I could go back I would have avoided nexplanon all together and I would have saved myself years of discomfort"

Kay October 5, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the implant in February of 2018 (8 months ago) and expected the horrible side effects to subside by now. The past 7 months have been continuous bleeding with only a week or so between periods. I have always been petite in size and with no change to my exercise and diet, I have managed to gain 15+ pounds thanks to this birth control. My sex drive has completely dissipated. What used to be regular hormonal breakouts (prior to Nexplanon) have turn into chronic cystic acne. My predictable PMS mood swings are now consistent emotional highs/lows mixed with unreasonable depression. I'm exhausted all the time, my skin is horrendous, I can't shed the weight, I'm literally crying right now writing this because of how negatively it has effected my personal, academic, and work life. The convenience of Nexplanon is NOT worth the suffering. I am getting it removed next week."

moll October 5, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "So I only had this birth control for 4 months & my experience was the worse I have ever had with birth controls. First the insertion process was a little painful & also the healing. Followed by the scar it left. I had no periods during this period. But I did have cramping followed by no sex drive or sensation. My anxiety got worse than ever & eventually started experiencing depression to the point I started having suicidal thoughts so I decided I had had enough & got it out. The doctor that removed it did such a bad job she cut me in all kinds of ways to removed it that I even passed out. This birth control is very dangerous."

Wondergal (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Have almost had the implant for a year, and have not been off my period since a week after getting the implant. Always lethargic because of it, my skin has been breaking out like mad, I have no appetite but gain major weight no matter what I do. Oh, it's very effective birth control given the fact that some of us have never ending periods and no sex drive. Doctors will give BC pills to regulate the bleeding and hormones, but the whole point of getting the nexplanon was to not have to worry about missing a pill, and appointment for the BC shot, etc. Getting it removed soon and hoping my body goes back to normal as quickly as possible."

R (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 3, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Obviously everyone has a different experience on any birth control, but personally Nexplanon has made my periods extremely irregular. My periods will last up to TWO WEEKS sometimes, and often right after I get off my period it will start back up in a couple of days. I’ve had Nexplanon for about 5 years now (I’m on my second round), and I’ve noticed that after about a year and a half on it each time I will stop having periods for months on end. The first year is full of bleeding (gross, sorry), and then it slowly goes away. The only thing keeping me on Nexplanon is the fact that it lasts for 3 years and I don’t have to worry about missing a pill. That aspect is awesome and the only reason I’m giving it 5 stars."

Daisy (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2018

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Ok so I got the implant and for the first few months I was fine I was a happy 18 year old , then I started getting so depressed, with horrible anxiety. I lost 20 kilos due to lack of appetite and excruciating pain in my stomach. I couldn't eat. I was bed ridden for months becoming a zombie, I just couldn't take it anymore. Nobody knew what was happening to me and nobody could fix it. I was just hopeless and angry. Nobody told me it could've been the implant but such is life. Any way I got it removed , which was very quick and easy for me AND I'm feeling like the old me again <3"

Cozza October 2, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "If you are at all prone to acne, I highly suggest you do not try this form of birth control. I received the implant in February 2017 and it was great! Everything I wanted and I didn't have to take a pill everyday, it also stopped my periods. But boy was I wrong, after about 2 months, I noticed lots of acne beginning to pop up on my face. I am acne prone, however I had clear skin for the last several months, the light acne then turned moderate then turned severely severe. My skin has never been so horrible. My cheeks and chin were covered in zits and I finally realized it must be because of the implant. I got the implant removed in August 2017 (6 months after implantation) and it took about 3 months after that for my skin to return to normal. I now have red scarring on my cheeks from the severe acne. This is not worth it at all, it completely ruined my skin."

BChasruinedme (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "So I have had nexplanon for a little over a month. Everything was fine until I got my period, it was light which was nice because I usually have very heavy flows. I had spotting everyday until I got my period not even a week later again. It was heavier than I usually have had it before. I woke up this morning with another huge flow from having my period a week and a half ago. That is three times in one month I have had my period. I’m very light headed, sex drive is low, lack of an appetite, and increase in depression. I do not recommend this type of birth control for anybody because it is not predictable and takes a long time to get used to. Talk to your doctor to find the best birth control for you."

Tia (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Nexplanon inserted about a year ago. What I don’t like is the irregular periods, mood swings, and weight gain! I feel tired all the time too. I was on the pill for 15 years and never had all these side effects. Definitely getting this removed soon."

CP (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "After I gave birth in 2016 I had explored some implant birth control options as it was imperative that I not get pregnant for 2 years to heal from the difficult c-section I had. Nexplanon seemed like a good fit so I was happy to get on it. I never had a period on it which was the best thing but not worth the side effects. I had such a rapid weight gain that over the 2 years I had it in I gained 130 pounds! I recently had the implant removed and I'm working on losing the weight. It will be a struggle that wasn't worth putting it in at all."

J (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 29, 2018

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on this medication for 3 years. It hurts going in and coming out. I loved the fact that I didn’t have to set a reminder to take a pill as I am forgetful. I hated the fact that you didn’t know when you were getting your period and had no ideas how long it will last . I would get it sometimes for 7 days at the most and other days 5. I noticed weight gain and always so hungry .. my mood I thought was normal but now that I think about it , it was the birth control ."

Niki (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 29, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes