User Reviews for Etonogestrel

Also known as: Implanon, Nexplanon

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Etonogestrel.

Birth Control
5.8

4,649 reviews 302 medications
Endometriosis
4.1

Summary of Etonogestrel reviews 5.0 4,660 reviews

Reviews for Etonogestrel

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the implant on 11/09/2017 and as of today I'm VERY happy with it. I have not gained weight, not hungry, was moody the first week but it levelled out. I did have my first period which was shorter than normal and less bleeding. I don't get acne or any of the other side effects that some people experience. I have ZERO worries about getting pregnant. I'm hoping my good experience will continue the longer I'm on it. I would recommend to a friend. However, everyone has a different reaction and mine has been great so far."

HappyIdidit (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "long story short 8/2016 - 12/2017 1) Gained 12 lbs 2) Cannot control my moods. 3) extreme irritability and difficulty coping with stressors. 4) Acne like crazy 5) 6-8 week long periods w/ only 7-14 days in between. What's the point if you can't have sex cause you bleed all the time? 6) severe ovarian cysts 7) massive blood clots and major bleeding uterine event when I began going to the gym because it reacts badly with DR1 supplement. 8) chronically fatigued."

MommyNurseTX (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Got my Nexplanon taken out after 2 years and a month with it in. I started having periods every two weeks and cramping. I also gained weight while on it. After I had my son I was 173lb. I went all the way up to 205lb in a year and a half. After portion control and busting my butt I’m down to 150 lb but the weight is coming off slowly. I honestly believe with the implant it takes forever to lose weight. It’s like your body wants to retain it. I finally had it taken out yesterday and I’ve been having nausea and headaches. I’ve been vomiting too but I’m not sure if it is because of the withdrawal or the new birth control I started the same day I had it removed. I’m now on the Yaz generic Nikki. Either way I don’t recommend Nexplanon."

Bleeblah (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had this put in just last week - we are talking 7 days and I've had nothing but problems. Right now I'm on a course of antibiotics as my arm where I had it inserted is infected. Implant in on the Tuesday and then antibiotics by the Sunday! The nurse who saw me when I turned up and emergency care was horrified at the sore on my arm! (If you are still getting this done then please make sure you have a really good nurse. I blame mine for the fact I have an infection). Add to that I am exhausted constantly - not sure if it's the drugs or the implant now! My arm is still really sore and all I want to do is rip this thing out of me. I don't think it's worth it for anyone if this is one of the things that can go wrong!"

CAptain oats December 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on Nexplanon for over 2 years & have recently gotten it out right before the 3 year mark. Over the entire duration of being on this birth control, the major side effect was irregular bleeding. I was lightly spotting over the entire course of being on Nexplanon, & although it was very annoying at first I eventually got used to it. I do find this method the easiest and most effective, however, leading up to a few months before it hit the 3 year mark I began having minor chest pain as well as shortness of breath which is what made me remove it as soon as possible."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Tried this two weeks ago. Within hours of having it put in I felt so sick and nauseous. I got a bad headache that lasted over a week. My depression and anxiety got so horrible that I thought I was going crazy . I had to spend the night at the ER and have barely slept in 3 days. I just got the implant out today. It was awful."

Aria810 (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had this inserted in August. It is now December and I’m happy to say I’m getting this removed tomorrow! I had the IUD before this and had it removed due to painful intercourse so I thought this was the next easiest thing to do. WRONG. I haven’t experienced bleeding but my anxiety is out of control. I’m also now having to take blood pressure medicine due to my heart is always racing. I have little patience for my two year old which makes me sad. I wish I wouldn’t of stuck through with like my doctor practically forced me too! I could’ve had this thing removed at month 2! Can’t wait to feel normal again. Do NOT recommend."

Steff4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Nexplanon for 2 months now. The first month seemed fine. I started my period when I was supposed to but had VERY light bleeding that only lasted 3 days. I was due for my period Nov 20th and I still haven't started. I'm 3 weeks late now and show no signs of starting. I can either be happy that I'm the lucky few that don't have to worry about a period anymore? But instead all I can do is worry that I'm pregnant. I've been nauseous, having cravings, fatigued. All the symptoms I had with my first pregnancy. I read online that Nexplanon can mimic pregnancy so I'm hoping for that. Is it worth not having your period if you'll wonder if you're pregnant every month?"

AshesToAshes (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the implant December 2016, the insertion went perfectly fine and I have yet to experience any problems with it. I also never had a period again after I started Nexplanon which is the only positive thing I can say about this birth control. It's made my skin break out so much worse and has made me start to get blemishes on my back and shoulders, but worst of all I have noticed a giant spike in anxiety and depression, to the point of suicidal thoughts and almost a suicide attempt. I am undiagnosed and always had social anxiety, but it got remarkably unbearable after the insertion, I plan on getting it out this year. I've also lost 16 lbs & am now medically underweight. I would not recommend if you have history with anxiety or depression"

wyldflwr December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Nexplanon is the first birth control I’ve ever used. I’m 25. My boyfriend and I simply wanted to most effective birth control method. I am a fairly chill/nonchalant/level headed individual. I had Nexplanon implanted 9 days ago and I literally cannot control my emotions at all. The mood swings are outrageous. I’m literally irritated about everything, that turns into anger, then it turns into crying because of the frustration of the mood swings. I’ve read that it can be this way with any birth control method but my GAWD did I wish someone would have told me before I had it implanted. I had my period the week before it was implanted and I’ve experienced no irregular bleeding yet. If the bleeding is ridiculous then I will have it removed."

BeeBee9876 December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "This is my third time just now putting it back in . I’ve never gained weight and have never experienced any side affects listed . I have no periods for the first two years and then the last year I start to gradually get a cycle here and there . A few months before I get It out the cycles become more frequent in a month time My menstruation can be heavy or light at times . No consistency near the end . It affects everyone different . This is my experience and I love It and it’s overall a cheaper way to go"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've tried my fair share of birth control options, the pill, NuvaRing, Mariana, and now nexplanon. Of them all nexplanon is the absolute worst. I'm getting it removed after 9 months. I was expecting the irregular periods (that was three 10 day long periods in two months regularly, bleeding for 42 days straight the first menstrual cycle after the insertion) the things that made this birth control intolerable were the mood swings since having it, I'm always either mad or depressed never happy, I'm always tired and I've gained 25lbs even though I've been working out and eating healthy. Other birth controls made me lose weight this one is awful, the only good things are I didn't get pregnant, I don't have to remember to take it, and it's not painful"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "There are SO many bad reviews of this BC (I know, I read them lol) that I just had to share my experience with it. For background, I am 26 and have been on birth control since I was 14 because I had problems ovarian cysts. I was on Nuvaring for 4 years (& LOVED it) until I got married (They say you can't feel it, but I did & it hurt) Anyways, I did my research decided on Nexplanon because it was less invasive. I've had it for 6 months now & I had a short period the month after insertion and absolutely NO bleeding since! I love it! Remember everyone has DIFFERENT experiences with this just like any other medicine. If you want an effective long term bc that you don't have to worry about, give it a chance!"

Love It! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Insertion was not bad. For me it was fast and not painful at all. A week and a half later after insertion got my period. It lasted for two weeks. I had only one week without any bleeding when it started again. It lasted again for two weeks. After a week and a half I got my period again that lasted for 4 weeks now. Abundant period. Today after 2months and a few weeks I went to the doctor to take it out. I couldn't handle one day more. No pain at all when he took it out. Only good thing, periods were not painful. But I rather prefer pain for a few days and a 8 days period than an never ending painless period."

Melidi December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "A few months after getting it implanted I noticed that my mood had gone down, I began to have mood swings, major anxiety and daily nausea. Having NEVER had depression before I was baffled. After talking with my doctor who told me Implanon wasn't the problem, I tried to move on and deal with my depression. After a few more months (and more research) I was convinced that this deep hole I was in had to be at least somewhat caused by this thing in my arm. I had my device removed less than a year after putting it in and within a few months all my symptoms started improving. It took me a long time after that however to get back to 100% as my deep depression had caused me to drop out of school and have a serious change of how I viewed life."

KatherineJ December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Got it put in November 15th. I went alone. Honestly it was a breeze. Bruise was present for almost a month - it's just now subsiding but not really any pain during or after insertion. The day after I got it done, I experienced a dizzy spell. 2 days after I got it done, I experienced a second dizzy spell. Couple days went by no issues. Then after that, I experienced a headache for three days. Couple more days went by, and I started spotting. The spotting was legit dark brown blood. It lasted for about 3 days then stopped. I have had slight mood swings, however that comes with any birth control. So far I think I am doing well and will keep it in and see how it goes. I should be getting a period in 6 days so I'll see how that goes and update."

WE'LLSEEHOWITGOES (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "First month I didn’t get my period second month there has been NON STOP bleeding. I can't stand it and on top of that the headache are almost unbearable. I am constantly tired and don't have any energy! Looking to get it removed soon.!"

NC99 December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The actual insertion wasn’t bad, they numb your arm and you don’t feel anything but a slight pressure. You should be on your period when you get the implant. The first month, I was bleeding EVERY SINGLE DAY. It was very light but annoying. I was getting ready to have it removed but it stopped. I haven’t bled since, and it’s been a little over 5 months now. I don’t have any symptoms or problems. Overall, I’m very happy with Nexplanon and will probably get a new one implanted when the 3 years is up."

Lalajenn (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Nexplanon was very good at keeping me from getting pregnant ,BUT WARNING I got really bad depression. My lungs and chest where hurting constantly , I felt very paranoid all he time. And the doctors thought at one point that I had a blood clots in my lungs. I don’t recommend to anyone unless you can deal with all those things."

Tiesha15 December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I started researching different bc options because I was tired of the pill and the implant stood out to me. I was drawn to its effectiveness and the fact that it lasts 3 years. I talked to a doctor and made the choice. I had a lot of anxiety about it but I knew it was right for me and that was what was the most important. The procedure was super quick and the only thing that hurt was the initial numbing shot. After the whole thing, she wiped up the blood, and wrapped my arm in a bandage to wear 48 hours. The bruising around the area was really ugly and big for about two weeks, and after another two weeks all I see now is the tiny little dot of a scar. I haven’t experienced any significant side effects except I haven’t gotten my period."

Emilcupcake December 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got mine inserted a little over a year ago, and I was prepared to deal with acne, weight-gain, irregular bleeding and hormones. Surprisingly I haven't experienced anything like that at all. I actually haven't had my period once since I got the implant, nor have I experienced any spotting or cramps. Still got 2 years to go, but so far I'm really happy with it."

Floofy December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on implanon 9 years. It does not effect my sex drive and I haven't had a period in 5 years except when the three year mark is up and it needs to be replaced. Great product!"

Anonymous December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I loved this birth control, I had it the full 3 yrs. I am 22. The inserting process was really quick and painless and it healed quickly. At first I was a little moody but I reminded myself it was the birth control and I would just go about my day. Only complaint is that being a server/ bartender and constantly having my harms up did become a little uncomfortable after a few minutes but nothing major nor painful. As far as my weight I gained some (actually very little) but I don’t think it was the birth control itself and I didn’t have any abnormal acne. The removal was uncomfortable it did take 20 mins due to scar tissue buildup. I’ve had it out for about 3 days now and feel absolutely fine."

Shai1009 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Not sure if it was how little I’ve had the implant or how sexually active I am (a lot) but I JUST had a miscarriage 30 minutes ago. I’m not a parent I don’t know what it’s like to have a child I know I’m not emotionally mature enough, financially stable enough, or mentally ready to have a child that’s why I made the decision to get the implant. That’s why I never wanted to be pregnant until I was ready. Finding out about a pregnancy is a terrifying thing, but at least you would have a choice whether or not to keep the baby. I didn’t have a choice and it was heartbreaking. If you’re considering getting this due to the benefits it has by all means go ahead but please do your research on the side effects and possible negative outcomes as well."

7teen (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had this put in 2 weeks ago, the bleeding starting about 4 days in and hasn't stopped. I've had a constant headache for the last 10 days as well as dizzy spells. I'm having it removed next week, I'm not willing to wait months to see if it subsides. Wish I would have done more research before I decided on this method of birth control."

Can2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2017