User Reviews for Etonogestrel

4.1

Summary of Etonogestrel reviews 5.6 5,676 reviews

Reviews for Etonogestrel

C4 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 22, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Do not use it! I didn’t get pregnant but that’s the only plus. I gained 30-40 pound, bleed every day, headaches, nausea, indigestion. All that I could deal with because it is so effective. What I CAN'T deal with is the anxiety and depression. It’s absolutely awful so I am getting it removed in a couple weeks and I am so excited I can hardly wait. I’ve had it over a year and I can honestly say one of the worst decisions ever. I will be back on the pill."

Southerngirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 22, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I love Nexplanon I've had it over a year. No periods no acne and no baby! Success!"

Purplish.turtle July 22, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "You shouldn't really blame just the birth control. The birth control us made to help control periods and prevent pregnancy and hormones. I feel like most of you on here honestly forget that everyone's body is different and that maybe your body won't take to that birth control compared to others yet you still have complaints that its the birth control causing you these bad cramps and mood swings and stuff. Just take it out. Thats what you do. Take it out. There is other BC for a reason and skincare techniques, take some Midol and medicine. Grab some meds and a heating pad and take a nap and hot bath or shower and drink plenty of water. Home remedies work wonders. But anyways, I don't have a problem with the Nexplanon except it does cause a bit of weight gain for me. I do have some bleeding hit or miss some months I don't ever know when it will happen and that is what I don't like - it is always a surprise to me and sometimes I'll bleed twice in a month lol its whatever. Acne is ok."

Savvyash · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 21, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "With the exception of an IUD, I’ve tried every birth control that’s available to someone who is prone to migraines. Nothing exists that doesn’t come with side effects. Nothing. I’ve had Nexplanon for 6 months and I feel I’m finally starting to get the hormonal side effects, which for me include weird spotty periods every 3 weeks, acne, and cravings. I have gained weight from 6 months ago (12 lbs) but I know with increased exercise and better eating habits I will lose it. For me there are fewer side effects when compared any other birthcontrol pill, and WAY fewer side effects than the depo shot. Birth control options are limited for migraine suffers, but Nexplanon is the best I’ve had so far."

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 21, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Overall Nexplanon has been pretty decent. I’ve been on it for about 6 months now and have only had spotting once with no periods. I’ve lost about 25 pounds since I got it and I haven’t been doing anything too loose weight which was strange to me considering a good portion of people gain weight. The main negative side effects I have noticed is serious mood changes and loss of sex drive. Although there are some negative side effects I recommend it because it’s definitely effective at not becoming pregnant."

Marcela1234 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 21, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Since I got the Nexplanon implant inserted, I have experienced spotting for very long periods of time. This spotting can last anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks. I also experienced a change in the ordor of my private area, sometimes it can get really bad. I had not experienced this before the implant. While having this, I also got many UTI's and yeast infection. In the span of 2 years, I have had about 10 UTI'S. Again, this had never happened to me before the implant. This birth control is ineffective because the whole point is to be able to have sex without being worried about getting pregnant, but with all these side effects, it is impossible to have sex."

tay · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 20, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Got the nexplanon in 2015 and had it the full 3 years and had it replaced last summer & getting it out next month! Insertion & removal was a breeze, I just bruised really bad. First 3 years I just bled A LOT, got put on the pills to regulate my bleeding but those made me so hormonal. Sex drive was through the roof and I was just a mess. Since the new one last summer I hate it even more. 100% prevents pregnancy but side effects are AWFUL. I’ve gained 25 pounds since December & I’m an active person and eat pretty good. My face is breaking out like I’m 13 years old again, sex drive has gone to 0, bleeding/spotting for weeks on end, crying at the smallest things, getting overwhelmed wayyyy too easy, so I'm getting it out next month and I'm so excited. This is driving me crazy & I wish I wouldn’t have gotten it the 2nd time around!! Going off birth control for a few months before trying a new one..my body needs a break."

texaslady2011 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the Nexplanon about a year after my daughter was born. The insertion was simple and relatively painless. I am normally a cheerful lady, with lots of energy, positive, and don't get "down" on things. Within a week of having this, my moods swung on the other spectrum completely. It was a Dr. Jekyl & Mr. Hyde type experience. I felt irritable, very angry at the world, and couldn't concentrate on anything. I called my OB/GYN and he said to try to wait it out to see if things regulated. I waited another week and things were getting much worse. I went and got it out that afternoon. Within a week I was back to myself. I am sensitive to artificial hormones and this thing was no joke. I think I would have been committed to a psychiatric facility if I had left it in. I ended up using the good "old fashioned birth control pill" and it was not as bad since it was a low dose form. It prevented pregnancy but I had to remember it every day. It was worth it to not be Godzilla."

Anon July 19, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Ignore ladies on here expecting that nexplanon is here to overall stop your periods. Periods are mostly inevitable. Here’s a real review. The side effects are sometimes horrible but what can you expect. My first few weeks were fine until the following month came along and I was on a light period for over 80 days. Being on a light period for over 80 days, craving unhealthy foods and my hormones were through the roof. After 6 months of having the implant,I started having extreme cravings for salty foods. If you are experiencing this, DO NOT give in. I’ve gained well over 20lbs from cravings like these. Although it’s been well over a year since I’ve had nexplanon and I’m happy with it so far. I’ve enjoyed the little curves and swerves, enjoyed the new sex drive (my man loves it too). I would recommend it to others. It’s worth it."

G · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 19, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I’ve had nexplanon in for a little over 2 years now. It was great at first, but overtime I feel like I’ve been changed as a person emotionally. I don’t think this is worth all the hormonal side effects. I get angry so quickly, I’m agitated often, I cry so much, and my moods change so quickly from one side of the spectrum to the other. It is really affecting my personal relationships and clearly many other women have felt this same way as well. I do not recommend!!!"

Oliviaf · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 18, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Absolutely the worst! On Nexplanon I gained SOO much weight, had painful periods, cystic acne, mood swings, anger, bloating and just over miserable!!! Do not get it!!!"

steph · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 17, 2019

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Implanon put in my arm when I was 16 years old without doing any research into it. I loved it at first I never got my period, my face cleared up I iIwas feeling great. About a year into having it in I noticed I was loosing an extreme amount of weight, to the point my family was concerned I was doing drugs. I went from 138lbs. to 110lbs. I lost my boobs my butt my curves, every thing. I got it taken out immediately and it’s been two years now since I’ve had it out, haven’t gotten my body back at all. I’ve been able to gain 12 lbs back but very very slowly. My hormones are all messed up from this birth control and it has really really ruined my life and my body. I wishI could go back in time and never have been on it. Please save yourself and your body and don’t get this birth control."

SadKat July 16, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Like many of the negative reviews, I loved it at first - painless insertion, no nausea, practically no periods. After 6-9 months is when I started noticing mood changes, loss of sex drive, paranoia, exhaustion, teenage mood swings, constant spotting followed by no periods for months, crying for no reason, but they were so gradual that it was hard to pinpoint the problem. I read reviews and decided I would give it 6 more months while documenting every day of period, spotting after sex, emotions, energy, etc. and it was ruining my life. I took it out three days ago and my period instantly came back and I’ve been a depressed monster, crying for seemingly nothing. Two stars because I never got pregnant and for the first three years my weight decreased to a stable 115. However, the mood swings, depression, anxiety, exhaustion, lack of sex drive, and how those symptoms all affected my personal relationships - NOT WORTH IT!"

Angie July 16, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the Nexplanon implant 2 months ago, I started to have vaginal bleeding a week after insertion pretty much every single day and it never stopped. On certain days the bleeding would get super heavy, I used to have very heavy and long periods, bad cramps and migraines, I got this implant hoping that it would help me reduce my period flow and other related symptoms but it’s doing the complete opposite. It did get rid of my cramps tho but now I have headaches almost everyday, I’m always tired and don’t have energy to do anything. It’s giving me crazy mood swings and makes me lightheaded all the time. On top of all of these horrible side effects, I’m also getting acid reflux symptoms! I’ve been on Prilosec for a month but it’s not helping, I’ve gained 4lbs since I got the implant and I have only eaten less because of acid reflux. This implant does prevent pregnancy but with all the side effects I don’t think its worth it. I’m going to get it removed this week."

Mirian · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Overall, I've loved this birth control. I've only had it for almost 3 months and I've only had one very light period, a little acne and hardly any weight gain. It's not for everyone but never know until you try it!"

lilia July 15, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I could count on one hand the number of times my boyfriend and I had sex during the first year after insertion of the implant. It left a giant bruise on my arm, and I bled and spotted heavily for over 9 months initially, and was in a constant state of emotional distress, everything made me either really emotional, or really angry. I've gained 40 pounds since, and its easy to put on more if I'm not careful. I'm currently 26 and have never been pregnant, and thought this was a good option for my busy lifestyle, but this implant has left me with absolutely no desire for sex, I'm consistently constipated and retain water. I've been on it for about two years now, and sometimes get a monthly period, or at least have PMS symptoms cramping, but no more random bleeding. The worst part of it for me is dealing with the weight gain, because it does NOT want to come off."

Ariel · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "So I got Nexplanon birth control February 2019 after having my daughter. So far I haven’t had any bad side effects. I only so far experienced headaches and some arm pain. I heard that it is very normal especially if you sleep on it or let you baby lay on it. I’ve been at a steady weight and loosing some and not really doing anything to loose weight but doing small workouts and walking. I do feel like I get moody but not all the time. I don’t really get a period and if I do it’s only like 3-5 days and very light (which I’m thankful for) I will update you guys if anything changes but so far I do like this birth control"

Lion · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 14, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Nexplanon inserted Jan 2017 and I've only had my period once since then (July 2019 now, 23 years old). Since October 2018 I've noticed I've been struggling more with depression, anxiety, headaches, fatigue and I've gained a bunch of weight in the past few months. Never had any pregnancy scares and saved money from not needing to buy any tampons/pads, but I wouldn't recommend anyone take Nexplanon for more than 1 and 1/2 years. At first I couldn't stop raving about Nexplanon to everyone, but now I can't wait to have it out. Went through three other pills where I really struggled with depression and irregular periods, so I have no idea what I will do next."

Asmira · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 14, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got nexolanon the Thursday before Thanksgiving of 2017. It didn’t hurt. I used to have bad cramps before but when I got on it my cramps stopped completely. My libido is great which is not a bad thing. But a year into it I’m on my period constantly. Weeks to months on end. Thinking of taking it out. I like it but I can’t deal with all the bleeding all the time"

Sky · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Original comment from 2019-06-20 "I got Nexplanon implanted about 2 months ago and so far I’m having a lot of issues with it. I have depression but am on medication to manage it and as soon as I got the bar my depression came back and I couldn’t go through a day without crying. I haven’t really ever struggled with anxiety but for some reason I’m always anxious now. All in all I’m going to give it another month and see if the side effects improve." Update today 2019-07-13 : waited another month and in that month my anxiety (that I never had before this bc) got so much worse and I constantly have panic attacks now. Like legitimate panic attacks so I FINALLY got it removed today and I couldn’t be happier. This stupid thing has given me so many more problems than it’s worth and I hope this anxiety, depression, and panic attacks go away now that I have it out! I would STRONGLY advise you to be careful or avoid this birth control all together if you have a history or depression or anxiety."

mm · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for : "Insertion and removal was a breeze. Very little pain and bruising. The actual experience of the nexplanon was horrible! I bleed constantly and have cramps for 2 of the 3 years I had it in. It would fluctuate between spotting and heavy bleeding. Like 4 or 5 tampons in 8 hours bleeding. I was anemic and had mood swings. would not recommend personally but obviously every body will react differently to each form of BC."

Ash · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 10, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "You really have to weigh the pros and cons with Nexplanon. I’m a forgetful person so pills aren’t the best option for me. This method is convenient because it’s very effective and you can’t forget to take it BUT I’ve had an increase in acne, been very irritable, get awful cramps and my periods are more irregular than they have ever been. Sometimes I go 2 months without a period and then randomly start and it lasts 3 weeks."

Jen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 10, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "On Nexplanon my periods were 12-ish day periods every few month, I got HORRIBLE ACNE all over my face, and sometimes neck and chest. Going to go get it removed to see if this is the monster attacking my face. I look like an M&M cookie:( there's no other solution. I have had it 13 months"

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 10, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the implant a little over a year ago thinking everything would be fine but NO ! Since I’ve been on this implant I haven’t been happy , I’ll get nauseous from time to time and also my sex drive with my boyfriend is at the lowest . I get upset often and don’t want to be bothered. I sometimes get lightheaded and I have a lost of appetite. I can’t lose weight no matter how often I go to the gym . This has been the worst experience I’ve ever had ."

Eliza · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 9, 2019

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I loved this. I still have it in and have no horrible side effects. I have no periods, no feeling of one either. I do not have hormonal changes mood wise. The only side effect I have noticed is vaginal dryness (my doctor told me it might happen) but the way it works I don’t mind it. Not having a period or hormonal changes have been the best. I definitely will keep it in."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)