User Reviews for Etonogestrel

Endometriosis
4.1

Summary of Etonogestrel reviews 5.7 5,091 reviews

Reviews for Etonogestrel

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "So I’ve had this implanted for 5 years now and everything has been very perfect with me until 2months ago when I started gaining unnecessary weight, I was actually confused then I remembered I was 3 months away from expiration date which I think is the cause of the weight gain. Planning to remove it ASAP tho and reinsert a new one if possible."

Bussie (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Take this off the market immediately. It has almost cost my niece her life. If your on it, get off of it now!!"

VERY CONCERNED AUNT (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Don’t do it, just don’t. It was either this or the IUD for me and I chose Nexplanon because I was scared of the IUD. I got this in October of 2017, and have not stopped bleeding since (it’s July 2018). Now I currently have the Mirena IUD and can not WAIT to not be bleeding. I don’t know if I have endometriosis (it runs in my family and I match several symptoms, but there’s no formal diagnosis unless you undergo a biopsy, I would, but the Mirena is the one thing that they can do to fix it without removing your uterus, so there’s no point). Yes, I tried birth control pills on top of it, and yes, I have tried 800mg of ibuprofen 3 times a day for 5 days, I was STILL bleeding. To any woman who wants to deal with it, I guess go right ahead, but I can tell you right now, I have not felt beautiful, sexy, or anything positive since I got this implanted within me. Just go for the iud. Less healing time, and the pain for that 20 seconds is worth it."

Aly July 16, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The worst decision I’ve ever made was getting nexplanon. I’ve had it for two and a half years and the side effects are not worth it. Fatigue, dizzy spells, headaches, weakness, spotting, bleeding for weeks on end, and to top it all off, I gained ALL of my pregnancy weight back. I weight as much as I did at 9 months pregnant. Normally I can eat whatever I want and not gain a pound, I was always very thin; exception of pregnancy. My OB refused to remove the implant. The second time I asked her to remove it, I was begging her. She insisted I keep it in and told me to take birth control pills on top of the nexplanon. I finally had enough and called planned parenthood to get it removed, and am going to get it removed it two days. I’m incredibly excited to get this piece of junk out of my arm. Never again!"

Kily (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 14, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got this birth control on May 24, 2018, the first few weeks were no side effects and everything was great! Until mid June I started spotting, I'm thinking okay maybe this is the "light" period my Dr said I could have. I have been bleeding for almost a month now and the bleeding became much more heavier and cramps are unbearable. I will be setting an appointment to get this taken out asap!"

Te (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I’ve been on nexplanon for exactly one month today (6/13-7/13). So far it’s been pretty great ! My period is still around the same time and it’s so much lighter and less crampier than usual which is great! Idk if it’s too early to give a review but it’s been awesome. I haven’t had unprotected sex yet so I’m not sure how effective it is and I honestly won’t feel safe enough until maybe another month or two. No bad symptoms, however i’ve noticed a feeling of nausea and mild headaches but it comes and goes. Which is to be expected since my body is still getting used to it. The insertion was done in literally 2 minutes. Arm was sore for maybe 2/3 days and it was back to normal. Slight bruising but that of course went away. Overall I give it a 8/10 right now until I test the effectiveness of it preventing pregnancy. Glad I was a “lucky” one then again I feel like if you go into it thinking bad stuff will happen then that’s how it’s going to be."

Krissy July 13, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I first got nexplanon in 2014. For about 4 months I had spotty bleeding but no mood swings or weight gain. After the 4th month my bleeding stopped all together. I didn’t have periods, mood swings or weight gain for the rest of the 3 years. It was awesome!!! I decided to get that implant removed and insert a new one because it had worked out so well the first 3 years. Things were going smooth until January 2018. I have been bleeding every day, I am constantly out of energy, I have mood swings like crazy, and my sex drive is gone (not that I can even have sex because I’m bleeding 24/7). I was sure that I had become bipolar or depressed or suddenly suffered from severe anxiety. I have to get this thing out of my arm ASAP!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 13, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I need to disclose some of the more serious side effects that I have experienced to warn other women that may be considering using this contraception. I have developed panic attacks, anxiety, and depression since going on Nexplanon. Like others, I have terrible mood swings, cry a lot and have uncontrollable bouts of anger. I experience insomnia, find it hard to focus, and have an abnormally low sex drive. With no prior history of mental illness, I firmly believe that Nexplanon is to blame for all of my psychological changes. I am not in control of my body anymore. It is shocking that many women have described experiencing my exact symptoms, and it all can be traced back to the insertion of the Nexplanon implant. Yes, it has effectively prevented pregnancy for 5 years. Though, I am afraid that this contraception has emotionally and physically destroyed me. I am having it removed in hopes of returning to my normal self again."

SP July 13, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had Nexplanon for over 2 years. The 1st year, I didn't really notice any side effects. However the last 6 months, I haven't felt like myself. I feel extremely anxious almost all of the time, which isn't like me at all. All I want to do is sleep. My greatest concern is the way it is affecting my relationship. I also have noticed a steady decrease in my sex drive, have gained 30 lbs, started getting acne in random places (chest/thighs), and my bleeding is so irregular. There are months I bleed for 2 weeks, spot for a few days, then go back to bleeding heavily for a week! It's just weird because I went so long without any negative side affects, little did I know it was the calm before the storm. I hate how I feel, and truly wish I would have just stayed on the pill. The side effects for me are NOT worth it! My happiness & quality of life have suffered greatly. I have a gyno apt next week, and am so looking forward to getting it removed. Hoping and praying I return to my old self!"

J July 12, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had nexoplanon inserted about 3 months ago. Before that I was on regular pills for the past 10 years. After a few weeks I had a regular to light period and no bleeding since! This is great. I was worried I might be pregnant but all tests came back negative. So far so good. Maybe because my body is use to birth control hormones it was an easy transition. Not sure if this has anything to do with it?"

Notprego (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the Nexplanon implant for 3 years. Overall it has been great! Amazing at preventing pregnancy. The insertion wasn’t terrible. A bit of bruising after but nothing too bad. I did have heavier periods when it was first put in, but they stopped almost altogether about 4 months in. I had maybe 3 periods a year after that. My moods were a little worse, but not outrageous. I did experience a bit of weight gain, and no amount of diet or exercise seemed to change anything, so that was frustrating. I had the implant removed today and the removal process was much easier than I thought. I was in and out of my doctor’s office in 30 minutes. I heard lots of horror stories with this birth control, but if you have an experienced OBGYN insert and remove it, you should be fine. Moral of the story, everyone is different and you never know until you try."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Nexplanon was a very bad experience for me. I’ve only had it for 3 months and I've had a nonstop period/spotting, which has effected my sex life. For the last 3 weeks I have experienced mood swings, depression, very bad anxiety, panic attacks, and terrible nausea. I thought I would be able to work with the consistent bleeding but the rest of the side effects are just not worth it. Getting it inserted was not bad at all and I’ve never experienced pain at the site. If you struggle with anxiety or depression, I would not suggest nexplanon, it will only make the anxiety and depression worse. Also be prepared for a long period."

lexi July 11, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had this thing implanted my arm approximately 9 months ago everything went good until about 6 weeks ago and I started getting my period heavily at least once a week. I have lost all control over my emotions things that wouldn't even phase me before make me so angry. I also will all of a sudden break down in tears and don't know why. I have cramps like I have never experienced in my life I am bloated my and back is killing me. I was on the pill for 15 years none of this ever happened. I was off birth control for 3 years and decided this was the most convenient birth control method and I decided to try it. I literally have been fighting with my own body and mind for 6 weeks not understanding what was going on until about 4 days ago. I now have an appointment tomorrow to get it removed. I will be going back on birth control pills and am hoping this hormone will get out of my body ASAP. I absolutely would never recommend this to any woman of any age. Not worth it."

Becky July 11, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "When I first got on the birth control I bled for the first 3 months straight . After I finally stopped bleeding I gained SO MUCH WEIGHT . I was 140lb and now I’m 220lb. I already have bipolar disorder and anxiety so I didn’t think that the implant could’ve made it any worse but I have TERRIBLE mood swings and I cannot control my anger . I don’t know if it’s related to the implant or if I just need to see a weekly psychiatrist. But I’m scheduling an appointment to get the implant out of my arm immediately !"

Bre (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I used it for 3 years I gained weight and yes mood swings after I had it taken out. I've been trying to have another child and I haven't had any luck its been 2 1/2 years plus my period is not normal anymore. I won't recommend this birth control if you want to have more kids"

Kuddle (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 10, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Just got nexplanon inserted about a month ago. My period came about a week or so ago and it is the MOST PAINFUL period of my life. I always need ibuprofen to function on my period but only for like 3-4 days and not nearly this bad. I wake up in the middle of the night now to take ibuprofen because if I wake up and take it I will be in severe pain until it kicks in. I mean bad bad cramps, like rolling on the bed because I can't stay still. Hoping this will get better."

Jade (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I really love this birth control method, its carefree. I have no periods and for 4 years its worked great."

Nicoleago (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 10, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "After getting tired of taking a pill everyday, I decided to try Nexplanon. The first year was great. I didn’t have my period and I felt okay. The second and third year I noticed a dramatic change in my attitude and behavior. I became chronically depressed and angry about everything. I was miserable, but I didn’t just want to blame it on the Nexplanon. I decided to get it removed after the 3rd year and to get another one since I hated taking daily pills and I liked not having my period. After about a week I knew it was a mistake. The first issue was the removal. It was horrible to get out and I bruised badly. I immediately felt more depressed, more angry, and gained A LOT of weight. After almost dealing with the worst depression I’ve ever experienced and periods that lasted 2 to 3 weeks at a time, I decided to get it out today. Once again, the removal was horrendous. I’m in horrible pain, but I’m just thankful it’s out. I do not recommend this birth control to anyone."

Jen July 10, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on the nexplanon for about 1 year almost 2 and I absolutely hate it ! I t Regret getting this ! I’m always having terrible migraines EVERYDAY ! Anxiety , terrible depression, weight gain , weakness , numbness , sharp pains in my neck , bad mood swings , always feeling light headed & lack of sleep I can’t wait to get this taken out I will never get this birth control EVER AGAIN !"

Bri (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I’ve had nexplanon for just a little bit over a year. The insertion was quick and painless. Throughout the first year I didn’t experience any side effects such as acne or weight gain, but my moods were all over the place. I already had depression/ anxiety prior but wow did I notice a difference. I started crying all the time, am constantly up and down, and extremely anxious and angry. Also, for the past month I have been bleeding non- stop. The constant spotting has just been really annoying, especially since it’s summer and it’s not heavy enough for a tampon. I’m thinking of getting it removed immediately and switching to something like the pill. This birth control is extremely convenient seeing as how you don’t need to remember to take anything for three whole years and it’s very effective as far as a contraceptive but before deciding to get it please weigh the symptoms and side effects with the benefits because they may outweigh them. I hope this helps!"

Mlnelyn (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2018

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I’m not taking it but my daughter is, she has been on it for about 6 weeks , has had a light period which lasted 8 days, her skin has cleared dramatically and she has lost kilos, I have noticed she is less tolerant of me and is quite short with me, more than normal. I will post another update in another month or two"

Brie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I really wanted to like Nexplanon. I was tired of the pill hassle and my insurance was giving me a hard time every month when it came time to pick up/renew my prescription but it’s not worth the mayhem. The bleeding. I’m never sure when I can go a day without wearing a liner & have spent a lot of money on pads because of it or when I’m able to have sex for that matter. My 2nd issue, My nonexistent sex drive makes sense now. As you can imagine, it’s causing a strain on my relationship. 3rd I’ve always struggled with acne but now it’s in places I don’t typically breakout. Overall, I see this product as what some may call a chasity product. Because it’s preventing me from getting pregnant because I’m never able to have sex anymore (or I never want to ). I thought this would be great because I would have no worries for 3yrs & it was painless when inserted. But it’s just not worth it. I’m intending to have it removed and get back on the pill asap."

Chuchi (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I used the nexplanon for a while until my husband and I were ready to get pregnant. I had never had any problems with it. No periods, no weight gain, no acne, nothing. I got pregnant right away (like within the week). I had a good experience with the nexplanon so I went on ahead and got another one out in after I had my daughter. We waited a few months before getting it put in, but this time around has been different. I've lost a lot of weight (I weighed 220lb when I had my daughter, and now weigh 140). I'm not sure if that's related to the nexplanon or not but it was something to note. My periods have always been irregular but then nexplanon this time around didn't help that. I'll sometimes skip cycles, I might have one light flow one month and a very heavy one the next, sometimes I have two periods in the same month! Like I said, I'm used to being irregular because I have been my whole life, but I found it interesting that it is so different this time vs. the last time I had it."

Alex (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had high hopes that I wouldn’t end up one of those negative reviews I read. I had this implant for over 8 months. I was patient, gave my body time to adjust, but the side effects were just not worth it for me. I’m 37, haven’t been on any kind of birth control before this, and 1 week ago I had it removed because I’ve had enough. First few months weren’t too bad. However, as time went on things kept getting worse. I bled the last 4 months straight which included clots, a terrible increase in hormonal acne breakouts weekly, and a general unhappy feeling. Which is very unlike me. So, it’s been out for 1 week and I have my body back!! Bleeding stopped on day 2, acne gone after 5th day, and starting to feel more like myself. I’m sorry I ever tried it and I’m even more sorry I let it stay in my arm for 8 freaking months."

Jen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 8, 2018

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "This birth control is terrible. I haven't experienced much weight gain but it's been a couple months and I'm STILL bleeding. This birth control is literally destroying my relationship. My mood swings are out of control and I get so sad for long periods of time for no justifiable cause. I take a mood stabilizer and an anti depressent so know for sure it's this nightmare. Oh, not to mention the acne... I'm breaking out on my chest! Best of luck to anyone that uses this form of birth control."

Barley Oats (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2018