User Reviews for Etonogestrel

Also known as: Implanon, Nexplanon

Learn more about Etonogestrel.

Birth Control 4386 reviews 305 medications

5.9
Endometriosis 9 reviews 167 medications

3.4
Summary of Etonogestrel reviews 4395 reviews 4.7

Reviews for Etonogestrel

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I started to experience feeling dizzy a lot, lightheaded, really bad headaches and also nausea. I can't eat as much as I would like too or used too because most of the time I feel sick. And sometimes I don't like to go out because I feel too dizzy or have a crazy headache. I'll take ibuprofen or Tylenol and I get nauseous! I've had crazy mood swings that I've never seen myself have before. My depression has increased so much that I'm starting to think that my kids would be fine without me.. it literally has taken over my life. Honestly not sure if it's the nexplanon doing all this but I haven't felt like this until I got my implant. I'm hoping if I take it out it'll all go away!!! Totally life changing"

Anonymous July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on Nexplanon for only 2 weeks, the first week I was fine and the only side effects I was getting was hair loss and cramping. To me that wasn't that bad but now by week 2 it seems like my body is getting more side effects. Now I'm gaining weight (I am eating more though) we are vegan so it's not like I'm eating junk. The other side effect is depression and fatigue (extremely tired) I'm getting thoughts I never got before and to top it off sex REPULSES me. I feel horrible for my husband but I want to cry every time we do it (TMI) sorry but just gotta be straight forward. Good news is that it does what it's supposed to but yet it has only been a couple weeks lol. Just remember EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT"

CC.8 July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "After exactly one year of having the nexplanon implant I finally had it removed today. This is the first and last form of birth control I will ever be on. My experience wasn't great and I wouldn't recommend this birth control. My sex drive plummeted, I had 2-3 periods every month, I always feel tired/foggy and I've never had a huge problem with anxiety or depression however about 6 months after having the implant my mood swings were horrible and with the combo of no sex drive and my psychotic rampages my relationship with my husband started to go in a downwards spiral. I gave the birth control a year because that is what my doctor recommended in order for it to completely regulate. At least it did what it was suppose to. I didn't get prego"

Duck6216 July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I wanted a birth control that I wouldn't have to make monthly appointments or worry about pregnancy (after having my 2nd baby unexpectedly). It definitely does give hormonal issues, mental and physical I pushed thru those issues for about 2 years into getting it and finally started getting control over it. I did have to see a dr and get the anxiety and depression sorted, which I think went along with untreated post partum depression for both of my girls. My periods come and go as they please. Never really have cramps. Just get uncomfortable and the regular period symptoms. Would have a period for 1 week then none for a month and a half-2months If I went 2 months without then I'd have it for 1 week spot for a day or so then had it another 4 days"

Britt2017 July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had nexplanon for a little over 2 months now and I'm almost 4 months postpartum. The past two months have been the worst. I'm always moody, can't control my attitude. The bleeding has been horrible and basically nonstop. In two months I have gone a total of 4 days without bleeding. I went through a pack and a half of pads in a week. Dropped from a size 14 to a size 9 in a week cause I had no will to eat. My arm burns at random. I have developed random numbness in my arm and the occasional chest pain along with a constant headache. I go the 29th for a consultation about having it removed. I would honestly rather swap to a different birth control and take my chances with getting pregnant again then stay on this."

Amanda Ruth July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "This might be to much info but I'm gunna share. I hate this thing. I'm exhausted all the time, mood swings, and I'm depressed. The bleeding is ridiculous. My doctor told me I might have spotting in between periods and this is a lot more than spotting. My period usually lasts five days and I had for about 10 and then stopped for a week and now I've had it non stop for another 11. THIS SURE DOES PREVENT PREGNANCY... MOSTLY CAUSE I'M NOT HAVING SEX! I don't feel comfortable having sex when I'm bleeding heavily and my boyfriend doesn't do well with blood. He's very understanding but Its frustrating because I had high hopes for this to work and I'm disappointed"

Asdfhj July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got this years ago when it was still called "implanon" I didn't like it because I spotted a ton and I had just moved half way across the country so it might have been stressed. I got it removed and now I decided to try it. I got it inserted a month ago, about a week after my period. I've noticed an increase in hunger and sex drive. Thus far I haven't lost any hair. I have gained a bit of weight but I also haven't been to a gym in about a year. I just started spotting yesterday, and it's been very light. I'm going to try and stick it out this time. As far as anxiety and depression. I'm on medication for that. I did notice my anxiety was horrendous at first but I spoke to my psychiatrist and he put me on some additional medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Over the last 4yrs ever since having my nexaplon implant I have had serious mental and physical health problems and it's completely affected my life and everything in it. The pain is unbearable sometimes, it says it's does stop your periods but to not have one for nearly 5yrs can't be healthy. My depression and anxiety have gone through the roof and I'm always tired but can't sleep. It has gotten to the point where I'm ready to cut my arm off but I didn't believe that something so little that is supposed to help you could cause so many life changing problems! I would not recommend this birth control to anyone I'm 21, nearly 22 and this has ruined my life and changed me as a person completely I don't ever feel happy or like myself!"

I hate this (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "My biggest problem with this birth control is I have absolutely no sex drive. It really has gotten to the point where my husband thinks I don't love him. I try, but it's really awkward when you simply have no interest. It's due to be taken out in December and I'm praying that things turn around. This is obviously how the drug works, you can't get pregnant if you don't have sex!"

em345 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had this implant in for a year and a half. I have terrible mood swings. Gained 60 plus pounds. I didn't have a period for a very long time. But now things have changed, I have had my period for 3 months my doctor prescribed me estrogen to stop the bleeding it stopped and then came right back. When I was on the estrogen my mood sings were better. I am a 38 year old women who smokes so I could not have anything with estrogen. I miss my birth control pills."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I've had this method of birth control for a year and I can't believe what a horrible experience I've had this year has been one of the worse in my whole life. My anxiety, depression, and mood swings are out of control and I don't feel like myself anymore. Thank god I am having this thing removed tomorrow I can't take it anymore it's ruining my life and I can't live this way anymore. I DO NOT RECOMMEND"

Mald79 July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I had my arm implant on May 07 20015 a month after given birth.The first year in a half it was all good no bleeding or spotting no periods ,but then in Nov of 2016 I started spotting and it was on and off for weeks. Then on Jan 2017 I was bleeding like the whole month then one week it stops and when I would start having sex it started again the bleeding and its has been like this ever since and now I have cramps almost everyday .My mood swings are so bad I can be happy and then angry for no reason.I have been to my obgyn she put on some pills estradol I believe it's called ,but did not help with the bleeding I'm going to have it removed I just have to make my appt. Oh and did I mention that my sex life sucks I never want to have sex ."

Soymujer July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had my implant in since October 22, 2014! When I first got my implant I had a period for 3 months straight, then after that I only bleed after sex (sometimes I still do)! I gain 60 lbs in the 3 years that I have had the implant in( I also settled down into a relationship too) I have absolutely awful mood swings, crying fits about nothing! And I shed hair like a dog and I hate it! I have stuck it out because I really like the idea of not having to remember to take my pill or bother with it! And also now towards the end of my implant for the last 5 months I have started to get a period again but it very irregular! So excited to finally get of birth control all together! Because this has been an awful 3 years"

Debbyd91 July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the implant now over 6 weeks ago and unlike other reviews I've read I haven't had any weight gain or mod swings but my cycle is horrible!! For the last 4 weeks is been a constant light flow. My normal cycle usually lasted no longer than 5 days varying from light to heavy to light. I've heard it's normal for the first four months to allow your body to adjust but if this cycle doesn't end soon I'm not waiting the 4 months."

Michelle211 July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I would not recommend this birth control to anyone. I know that everybody's body is different but if anyone has had the same experience I have had I feel super bad for them. I thought I would try the nexplanon out and the first few weeks went great. I have had it in for over two months now and it has caused depression, anxiety, and me to bleed every single day. It's effected my stomach and made me nauseous even. It's been so bad that I went to the doctor because I thought I was suffering from post partem depression but my baby is 5 and 1/2 months and I have not had it at all up until this point so it didn't make sense. Come to find out it's been this birth control. I am normally always happy but this has effected me bad. Just don't get it."

Boymom15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Worst BC EVER I've had non stop bleeding since I've had it in my moods are horrible I'm depressed I have ruined numerous pairs of panties because of never knowing when I'm gonna bleeding may one day not the next or just randomly start. I'm emotionally worse after 9 months of BC. I'm calling Doctor tomorrow to get appointment to remove it I went from having a 2-3 day period to having a 9 month long period I have gained so much weight I gained less the 9 months I was pregnant ."

Fire chief sister July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the implant 2015 a few months after having my son and get it removed in January 2018. It has almost been 3 years and I had an amazing experience. Most these reviews seem pretty negative, but I had little to no period, no weight gain, no emotional distress, and no pregnancy! I'm going to get it placed in again when my three years is up. Many of my friends have similar experiences so I would recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I implanted my nexplanon in January and had it for about 7 months after. It was great at first but I started losing a lot of my hair to the point where my hair line moved an inch back. I also saw skin discoloration on my legs and arms. And the bleeding was the worst I always had to wear a liner because I spotted at random times. I experienced periods at least twice a month as well as sporting majority of the month."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The first couple of months was good, but after that I have increased acne and heavy spotting."

Gemini1920 July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Implanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "My doctor explained everything and I read a brochure before receiving the implant. It's a personal decision I made and when going into it I knew that every women reacts to it physically and mentally differently! I wish there was a way they could tell you how your body would react to it before hand but they can't lol! I recommend giving it a try but it's not for me , I had it removed 6 months in. The number one reason why was because I bled since the day I got it put In, and that is just NO way to live . I had happy moments and really angry moments on it , I started getting acne on my face which I'm not use to , my anxiety was off the roof and I gained at least 15 pounds which I didn't need considering I just had a baby at the time!"

Elizabeth81 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got mine inserted middle of May 2017 and I have already scheduled to get it removed next month. I think one of the only good things I have to say about nexplanon is how safe you feel from not becoming pregnant, but other than that I do not like this BC. I have been spotting constantly on and off again since last month. My mood swings are crazy! Some days I feel happy but most of the days I feel depressed in a way & just down about everything. Sometimes I feel like balling my eyes out for absolutely NO reason. It's really annoying. Also, I noticed I gained 5lbs in less than 2 weeks when I got it inserted. I'm running out of characters now but my last con is that I'm always tired. I could sleep all day and still feel exhausted"

jennyyyy_2017 July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The WORST birth control ever I've had it for almost a year and is scheduled on Monday 07/17/17 to have it taken out it was okay first, but now I have HORRIBLE headaches and sometimes bad chest pains, bad depression, weight gain, and the WORST anxiety , and terrible acne, I wouldn't recommend this birth control to anybody "

I.c (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "The implant was inserted about 1 month ago in efforts to alleviate the depression and anxiety I feel the pill caused. I am sad to say it didn't help. And now, I am emotionally unstable with sadness, and just not caring about ANYTHING. Oh did I mention rapid weight gain with extreme cravings! And no sex drive "

NeedBcFormen (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Nexplanon inserted on June 14, 2017 on the last day of my period. I continued to take the mini pill I was on for a week as my back up. No bleeding for two weeks. Exactly 2 weeks after the insertion, I started what I thought was a period cause I had all my common PMS symptoms I usually deal with (heartburn, loss of appetite, light cramps), red and heavy blood flow for about 4 days. I then spotted brownish light blood for another 5 days that eventually stopped. That was a week ago today. Today, I started bleeding AGAIN, exactly one month after getting the implant. I also feel like I am starting to put on some weight. UGHHHHH I hope this sorts out soon. I don't want to be bleeding like this all the time!!! SOOO not what I am used to!"

SickOfBleeding (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: "Well I had the Nexplanon insert after I had a baby in 2014, I had an excellent experience. I always had a heavy period and this totally helped with cramping and my period, I didn't have one for 2 years then the final 3rd year it was light periods monthly. As of a month ago my 3 years was up so I decided to get a new one. I have had terrible mood swings, depression and my anxiety is threw the roof. I am going to talk to my doctor about this and I'm really hopeful it just subsides with some time. Also I read a review and a girl broke up with her boyfriend for no reason. That was totally me too, this emotional roller coaster sucks. But I'm willing to wait it out a little longer because I did have a good experience my first go around."

Astos (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 14, 2017