User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel

Also known as: Cryselle, Elinest, Lo/Ovral, Lo/Ovral-28, Low-Ogestrel-28, Ogestrel 0.5/50, Ovral, Ovral-21, Ovral-28

Endometriosis
6.5

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.8

Birth Control
5.5

Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel reviews 5.7 237 reviews

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on the pill for over 3 years; I stopped for a few months and started again, and this is what I've noticed. I still give it a decent rating because it prevented pregnancy and regulated my cycle. However, my periods never stopped being moderate-heavy and my cramps are actually worse on LO; I couldn't function without Midol when I was off. I also have highish blood pressure and headaches/migraines, which this pill only exacerbated. Off LO, I had sometimes-normal-usually-prehypertension readings and now on Low-ogestrel are again stage 1/2 hypertension readings and my headaches are much more common all cycle, as opposed to mainly a couple here and there. I'm only 19 and would really like to get back to enjoying my youth instead of feeling like garbage all the time, so I think I'll switch to condoms instead."

hotchocolate (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just finished the first month of this birth control. After taking tri sprintec for years I started developing ovarian cysts that would make having sex painful. My doctor suggested switching my birth control to help with the cysts. Well, after 3 weeks of taking cryselle my ultrasound showed no cysts which was great but my side effects have been rough. I immediately became moody and even paranoid. I felt like everyone was out to get me. I have been very bloated and very gassy. The worst has been the headaches. Especially on the last week of pills which I just completed it was daily severe headaches. My Dr. Switched me to Mircette and I took first pill last night. Hopefully this will be a better experience."

Mandy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Side effects: Migraine High blood pressure Depression Fatigue Irritability"

Bskso (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am currently on the hunt for a birth control (BC) that doesn't impact on my libido as much. My OBGYN recommended this one after a year of being off BC. I have been trying other BCs. She gave me three months supply and told me that it takes a month for my body to get use to it. Boy, let me tell you! If you are even remotely depressed or struggle with anxiety, steer clear of this BC. After taking this for a month, I was 10x more depressed, and really dark thoughts were emerging, and my anxiety was high. I can say, I stopped taking it four days ago , and I feel so much better! I already made my appointment for next week."

Crystal (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2018

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had my period for a month straight after taking this for a couple weeks. Then when that was finally done and I got my period again, the week before I was extremely bloated and constipated. I have had no sex drive, when my boyfriend tries to be physical with me I get disgusted and my anxiety and depression has been horrible. Along with that I have nausea almost every time I eat. I've been miserable. Worst birth control I have ever taken."

Nicki (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been using Cryselle for about 6 years now and I have had a great experience all in all. I originally started the pill because I had unbelievably horrible cramps every cycle that started a few days before my period and continued for four days after. It's a 28-day pill so the only difficult part of the drug is just remembering to take it at the same time every day in order for the contraceptive aspect to be effective. I never really had skin problems so I'm not sure how Cryselle affects skin but it definitely didn't cause any skin problems once I started taking in it; my skin is still mostly clear. Of course I'm not sure how effective it is as a contraceptive but considering I did have unprotected sex a few times while on the pill, I never had any pregnancy scares. In general, I'd recommend Cryselle to anyone looking for the birth control pill."

batcqf778 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I took cryselle for a month and I started seeing double and feeling like garbage all the time so I got off of it"

Pooh (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I started this pill back in February and for the first couple months I was fine- no side effects. And if you’re looking for a pill to regulate your period, this one works wonders. I never got break through bleeding either. However, after the first couple months was over I slowly started getting into a funk. My mood is just “numb” all the time and I never want to get out and have fun anymore. My anxiety is a 10 when it was usually a 4. Now I know everyone’s bodies are different so they’re going to react differently to this medication, but I can’t stand not being able to focus or like.... be happy. I’m getting off of it finally and switching to another type so wish me luck. Side note: This birth control also does its job in the pregnancy prevention category VERY well if you take it on time. I never had to worry on this pill."

Jenna (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 7, 2018

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been taking this pill for 7 months. The first 3 months were the worst as my body was adjusting and I was so bipolar and nauseous. Now...it honestly worsened my acne from mild to moderate painful cysts. No weight gain. But honestly this pill has left me an emotional wreck. If I'm not angry I am sad or easily irritated. Happiness is rare. And I break out even worse during my period in places I never even broke out before. Not the worst but not the best. Definitely switching pill brands."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 4, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I would not recommend this pill. I've been on this pill for for 5 years and at the beginning it was okay to use for my acne and to use for regular periods but over time my acne comes back horribly I have severe anxiety and I hyperventilate. I absolutely have no sex drive. It's been making me beat myself up. My mind goes crazy all the time overthinking. I have extreme anxiety and depression and I have crazy mood swings. I realize that I've been changing the way that I am and being angry for small things or I cry for super small things. I've also been having chest pains that I read is a side effect I would not recommend this pill and I'm deciding to go off as soon as my pack is up. I would not recommend it long term"

Mrswaffles (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I started cryselle as my first birth control drug. When I started, I bled on and off for about a month. After that, everything was great. Very regular periods lasting about 5 days with only 1-2 “heavy” days. Just experienced the normal teenage acne problems, nothing out of the ordinary. No cramps. Some weight gain but was also a part of growing out of adolescence. I’m 20 now and had to switch pills because over the past year, periods have gone down to about 3 days with very light cycles and have had pre-hypertension for about 2 years. Now my blood pressure qualifies for hypertension so I switched in hopes it would come down. Also experienced breakthrough bleeding of brown discharge for two weeks straight. Assuming it was a lot of old blood that had accumulated. After switching, my body has finally let go of all that old blood (there was a lot) so just be mindful of that. Was on this pill for about 4 years and it was a good run"

Nik (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 3, 2018

For Birth Control: "First of all, I think it's important to point out that all birth controls affect every woman differently, so going by my review or anyone else's doesn't necessarily help. I went through 7 other pills before I got to this one. They were all bad matches, but they mainly affected my mood in the worst way possible, so my primary goal was to eliminate the depression that came with the PMS. This did that. I've been taking this pill for about 2 years now and didn't really think I had any negative side effects. Well, also 2 years ago I began to become avid in exercising. I did lose weight but with body fat percentage I have plateaued for at least a year and I am still not at a decent percentage. I exercise about 10+ hours a week and eat extremely well, tracking everything and monitoring my macros. I've gone through everything, and the only viable answer is the estrogen and norgestrel. It has inhibited my ability to lose fat."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Endometriosis: "I used to take tri-Sprintec but after 3 months didn’t work any more cause I started bleeding to much. So my Gynaecologist gave me Cryselle. After the second pill I woke up at 2:30am with a terrible stomach ache. I never felt that kind of pain, and I do have gastritis, it was awful. In one week I had 3 of this episode and it was a stomach cramp. I felt like I was dying. Horrible side effect."

Denisse (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "This was the first pill I have ever been on. IT IS HORRIBLE ! It made my acne so bad, I never have had a bad outbreak in my life my skin use to be super clear. I have had the same breakout for 2 months now and it has not gone away. I have bought better face skin products was attempting to help it and still it hasn’t done anything for my skin, I wash twice a day and my acne is still there. I also never experienced cramps before taking Criselle and this pill gave me cramps which is actually horrible, i wouldn’t suggest this pill to anyone ! It made me get super emotional and sad and I would find myself crying over super dumb things or sometimes even over nothing. I once cried because my boyfriend didn’t text me back. Honestly worst pill ever, I have 2 and a half weeks left of this pill until I can switch and I haven’t been happier. Thank goodness ! I DO NOT SUGGEST USING THIS PILL."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "This was my first birth control pill I ever took. I wanted to start birth control to help my really irregular periods. I was probably 16. I was on it for awhile and then switched to a different one to help acne, but switched back because I felt this was a better fit for me. Now years later of been it ever since and it definitely does it’s job of preventing pregnancy, but I’m finally starting to realize why I’ve felt so emotionally and mentally miserable. I was one day away from scheduling an appointment to get anxiety medication before I looked up these reviews. On top of the constipation and stomach aches, this pill has sent my anxiety and mood swings through the roof. I’m annoyed at any little thing, I cry so much I can’t control it, extremely irritable, irrational thoughts I can’t control, and a constant lack of energy. My sleep has been so bad, I can’t stay asleep to save my life, and sometimes I just feel like I’m mentally going crazy. I wouldn’t recommend this"

leelafut July 23, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on this pill for a little more than a year and was never pleased with it. I was on it for my acne and it did not help, in fact it only made it worse. I did experience negative side effects including anxiety and mood swings. I should have gotten off that pill sooner, but I wanted to give it a fair chance. Needless to say this medicine was not for me."

Taffy (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 17, 2018

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been taking this birth control since I was a freshman in high school. I'm 19 now and I'd have to say I've really had no problems. I started Low-Ogestrel 28 after having major problems with some other I tried out. You might have some nausea for the first few months but it goes away once your body gets used to it. I had terrible heavy periods and hormonal acne and it makes my period way more regular. I know the exact day and time my period will start every month and they are shorter and lighter. Plus I've been in a serious relationship for a long time where we don't use condoms so I know it works lol. 10/10"

Faith (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Definitely not the right pill for me. I have absolutely noticed an increase in appetite since going on it (feeling hungry all the time, occasionally binge eating), which has caused me to gain weight. Then while taking the placebo at the end of the month, I noticed that I had no appetite at all. Sex also does not interest me at all anymore because of this pill, and I have noticed that I am a little more anxious in general since going on it."

lvr (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2018

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I love this birth control compared to the three I've been on. I took it for a year and had the best skin of my life, my periods completely went away not even cramping, and my breasts were a cup size bigger than normal. I'm looking to start taking it again four months post partum. I quit taking it for only one week and became pregnant ( planned pregnancy and happened a lot faster than I thought.) The pill they put me on after pregnancy has done the opposite of what this pill did for me and I'm having two periods a month and extremely moody. I miss this birth control and can't wait to start it again. I'd give it 10 stars but I had a lot of yeast infections while taking this birth control and none anymore. It's worth the yeast infections honestly to me. I'd rather go get monistat than go through so many tampons and underwear with heavy bleeding."

Yo (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 14, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on Crystelle for years before I had children and it was wonderful! I went back on it a year after baby #3 and this time around I had 4 to 5 day migraines the week of my period. I stuck with it for 4 months to see if they would go away but they never did. I suppose my body changed, which is a bummer because this one worked so well for so long prior. No complaints from the previous years I took it."

aubelle (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 26, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on this for a year, they told me this birth control helped with acne so I listened. I noticed my skin was getting worse but I always suffered from acne since I was 13. I noticed a change in my behavior, I would get angry a lot, cried more. I recently decided to stop taking this medicine to do an experiment to see if anything would change when I stopped. My acne has completely cleared up now I'm off it I just have a zit here and there. I'm also happier, not as tired. I even went to my dermatologist and she said she's never heard of this birth control to help with acne which is really weird. So for anyone who is deciding to try this as there birth control I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you're using it for an acne regiment. I have seen people comment that they have tried this for a month and noticed more acne, and some people were saying that's because there body didn't get used to it yet. Well I'm here to say that I was on this for almost two years and I had the exact same issues the whole time."

Ally June 15, 2018

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I began taking LO when I was 18 as my periods were always painful, heavy, a full week long and irregular for the 5 years before beginning this medication, with cycles anywhere from 18 days to 35 days. The bad cramps, heavyish flow and lengthy period never really went away when I began the pill, which is the only reason I give this less than a 10/10. I fortunately never had a problem with my skin, and LO definitely didn't create any problem. The main reason I was prescribed this pill over any other is because it's totally covered by insurance. It has been very effective at doing what it's supposed to for me, ie preventing pregnancy and it's a really nice bonus to not have to panic about not being protected from a period that I don't know when to expect. I am going to stop taking this pill only because after 3.5 years, I am sooooo tired of taking a pill every day. I'll just take my chances lol."

leedlelee (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 10, 2018

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "After dealing with breakthrough bleeding from other pills my doctor switch me to this. I gave it 3 months and I'm having the worst acne of my life even as a teenager my face was not this bad I look like a drug addict and I'm embarrassed and I'm getting off of this immediately."

MotivatedMomOf2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have taken Cryselle for nearly eight years now. I was prescribed this birth control when I became sexually active. It's purpose was to control my abnormally heavy flow and to prevent pregnancy. For the last three years, I have been miserable. I did not believe that my worsening anxiety and depression were caused by my hormones, much less the prescription that I had taken for seven years. My blood pressure has been recorded at very high levels. My sweating is excessive and I have panic attacks regularly. My anxiety has never been so out of control and I have withdrawn from my friends and family because of my uncontrollable mood swings. I have turned into an impulsive, irritable and unhappy woman out of nowhere and I need a different hormone therapy as soon as possible. If you experience worsened depression with this medication, please do not wait like me. Everyone's body is different. Go speak with your doctor."

seniorsister (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 30, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "This is the worst birth control I have ever taken. Dr prescribed me this to prevent pregnancy / treat cramps. I have always had horrible menstrual cramps but this has only made them worse. Every month I have debilitating cramps, headaches, bloating, mood swings. My periods are shorter and lighter but that's about the only positive point I can give to this brand. Makes me feel nauseas, light headed, and crampy in between periods. Wouldn't recommend this to anyone!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 10, 2018