User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel

Also known as: Cryselle, Elinest, Lo/Ovral, Lo/Ovral-28, Low-Ogestrel-21, Low-Ogestrel-28, Ogestrel, Ogestrel 0.5/50, Ogestrel-28, Ovral, Ovral-21, Ovral-28

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel.

Endometriosis 8 reviews 167 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 22 reviews 169 medications

5.6
Birth Control 145 reviews 293 medications

5.4
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel reviews 175 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been taking Cryselle for 2 years now and I love it. Haven't had any side effects and the way it helps keep my period regular is awesome. I know exactly when to expect it and how long it will last. Before Cryselle I was taking another birth control that made me nauseous, gave me headaches, and would give me 2 periods a month. I love that I found Cryselle and I will continue to use it."

Melissa M. (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2017

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Cryselle changed my life. I went from super heavy periods with unbearable cramps that lasted 6-7 days to light, painless periods that last 3 days. My mood swings are gone and I haven't had any side effects besides a decreased libido which I honestly don't mind."

crampless (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've been taking cryselle since I was 15, I am now 21. I needed a medication to lighten my periods because I have severe anemia. Overall, I was satisfied with this birth control. I did have side effects like weight gain. I gained nearly 50 lbs over the last 7 years which isn't normal since I have a strict diet and work out every single day. My periods were still heavy at first. But during the last year and a half, my periods last 2 days and are very light like spotting. I am sexually actively, so I was worried that I may have been pregnant, but tests say otherwise. I had random acne before my periods on my chin and cheeks. I craved salty foods around the time of my period so that could be the culprit of my acne. Cramps weren't awful. There would be cramps that stopped my in my tracks but they lasted a few seconds and I was fine. It's just the normal period symptoms that are normal to have! I am currently switching to lo loestrine and have read more bad reviews than good ones. So I'm not sure that I want to go ahead and start the pack after my last dose of cryselle or not."

justme090909 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2017

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Cryselle for 3 years. It's the best birth control that ever has controlled my period. Light, never heavy, sometimes so light you don't have to wear anything except a liner. I'll start on Thursday be off by late Saturday with spotting on Sunday. Before, I'd bleed for two weeks straight. But the side effects of this pill are horrible. Everything starts two weeks before, severe breast tenderness, uncontrollable mood swings, nausea, headaches, and slight stomach pains that aren't cramps. If you can bare all of the symptoms and have short periods then Cryselle is for you if not then you should pass."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on cryselle for about 6 years, never had a problem. No side effects never experienced a headache (but I never get headaches prior) periods always come on the 3rd placebo pill day and last 2 days and the 3rd day is spotting. No crazy hormones and no acne AT ALL. The first pack u will experience nausea as any birth control pill because the hormones but should subside by the second pack. I did stop taking the pills after about 5 1/2 years when I noticed my vaginal mucus started smelling funky for about 2 months, when I stopped birth controll completely it went away and then I had a baby, just finished my first pack of cryselle post pregnancy and the same smell is back. Maybe I was on it for too long though! Hope this helps"

Kingsmomma (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "On the third pack and bleeding has yet to stop. Sometimes the bleeding is actually lighter on the week of my period."

DMH81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I first took cryselle when I was 15 and I had the worst side effects. break through bleeding, headaches, anxiety attacks, weight gain,and my periods lasted 2 weeks. Got on it again when I was 18 and had Little side effects! My periods are a little heavier and hurt a bit more, and have very sore boobs other than that it's a charm. No pregnancy"

DD1234853 October 19, 2016

Lo/Ovral-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I took this for 10 yrs. began experiencing severe leg cramping and depression. During a routine exam found a lump in my breast at 31. Had a hysterectomy at 40 due to Adenomyosis and eventually had a bilateral mastectomy at 51 after developing breast cancer."

3catz October 16, 2016

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I started this medicine in August, so I haven't really been on it for long.. But, I did notice it regulated my periods. I had VERY irregular periods, which is why I am on birth control. I mean my periods were very light and lasted 2 weeks! And I feel like it made my cramping worse."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Severe constipation started within 2 days after I started this pill (had been on low ovral for years prior, but currently unavailable), acne followed, and now 5lb weight gain in past 3 weeks. The stomach craps are so painful (constipation-related) that I am completely distracted throughout the day, every day now. I cannot wait to finish cycle and move on to another pill. I've taken many different types of pills in the past 20 years...never had a single issue of any sort until this one."

Wendy M (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I started this birth control a few days ago and been dealing with bad cramps, stomach pain, and tightness in my stomach when I yarn or cough. It's just so awful that I stayed in bed most of the day. I discontinued it today and going on another birth control that I love and had no side effects. My doctor switched me to Cryselle despite me telling her I want to stay on the other one, now she switched me back. Not trying to scare anyone but it's best you avoid this medicine."

MissFloridaSunshine October 6, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on this pill for four months now. I used to have extremely heavy periods that could last longer than a month. This pill has reduced my period to a week and it's what I imagine is normal instead of heavy. Since I started this pill, I've had extremely strange experiences with my stomach. I have a lot of stomach problems but this has been a lot worse. I'm nauseous almost all the time now, with the mornings being the worst. I experienced discomfort in my upper right abdomin, mimicking gallstones or an infection. Went to the ER, they had no idea what it was. Unsure if this is related to this medication, but there definitely seems to be a relation between it and the nausea. No acne or weight gain from me, as I've been reading about."

Anonymous October 6, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "This is the worst form of birth control I have ever been on, I gained 10 pounds in a month without changing my diet. I'm normally an anxious person and get hormonal around my period but this pill intensified everything. I cried almost everyday and got angry over stupid things and I didn't have any anxiety free moments through out the day at all on this pill. Terrible headaches and nausea, I just got off of it so I'm hoping it all goes away soon. I don't recommend this"

ruubym (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2016

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on this pill for 3 months now I think, my Dr.switched it up randomly and it says it clears your skin but honestly my skin has been very bad since I started taking these..I have very bad breakouts and I've never been this bad.. my period has always been kinda normal and still is but I have gained weight a lot too.. any recommendations??"

Pinkiie September 28, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Breakthrough bleeding all month for almost two years, extreme irritability, to the point that I came here to read others' moods when on this drug. Also, the PMS symptoms last all month long. I am only level headed when it's the week off. No sex drive, bloating, cramping, nausea, fatigue and really greasy hair. I am going to ask for a new pill. I tried to stay on this pill, but, it's bad in every way."

Anonymous September 21, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on Cryselle for about 6 years. I had severe fatigue and lack of energy, was physically exhausted and drained no matter how much sleep I got, my hair was falling out like crazy, I had water retention and headaches, I was irritable and moody and I had extremely low sex drive. I eat healthy, exercise regularly, and have had my thyroid and blood sugar checked, as well as blood tests for anemia, etc, all came back normal. The fatigue and lack of energy was what really bothered me and after doing my own research I discovered this can all be related to my BC. I'm now trying a new pill. Each person is different so what may work for someone may not work for someone else. The positives were my periods were very light and I did not get pregnant."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2016

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on this medication for a week after switching from my old pill. I was getting more and more nauseous each day until I woke up on the 7th morning of taking it to horrible nausea and vomiting. I will not be continuing to take this pill."

mellonmojito (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "This is my second time around of being on it and it's way worse than the first time. Well, at least the first month was HORRIBLE and when I say horrible I mean horrible. My period had came way too early, it came like the second week starting the pills, lasted the rest of the month, cramps were so bad that they woke me up out of a dead sleep every 1-2 hours, nothing helped to ease the pain. Happened more at night but I had them during the day as well. It was that bad I almost had to call off work and I'm the type that never calls off, I'd have to be dying. Now I'm almost through my second month, it's going A LOT better! This month was better than last. I suggest to give it time, let it run it's course even if it gets horrible like mine did."

Little J September 5, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Was on this pill for two years. Gained about 15 pounds, had cystic acne around my periods, and my mood swings were unbelievable. I would find myself getting so angry and irritated at everyone and everything for absolutely no reason. Perks were I didn't get pregnant and my periods were short and light, with no cramping. This was my 6th pill I tried and after this I gave up and switched to an IUD. Couldn't be happier."

collegestudent2016 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have had an awful experience on this pill. I switched to it 9 months ago, and since then I've gained about 15 lbs. It's given me terrible acne and headaches. I'm waiting for a different pill now, I can't wait to be off of this stuff. Everyone has different reactions to different BC's, but I would highly suggest using a different one if you can."

RileyLeigh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on Cryselle for about a year now and I could never understand why I was feeling so depressed, irritable, and down. After I stopped taking them I didn't have those issues anymore so you do the Math. If you don't want to feel like you're breaking down mentally, I would not recommend this product."

Nicety83 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Most of these reviews aren't so good and most of the reviewers aren't giving their body enough time to adjust to the hormones. Your body is trying to get used to the pill so that's why during the first month you may get some unpleasant side effects like mood swing and acne.. I had nightmares for the first 3 weeks sore breasts after that and acne breakouts. My first period on Cryselle was horrible, the cramps were awful but everyone's different. I'm still going to give my body the opportunity to adjust to cryselle. If youre having some unpleasant side effects while on Cryselle talk to your doctor especially if its something serious. But don't be quick to give up the pill because of things like acne and sore breasts. Things can improve!"

Sarah Knowels July 20, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on multiple different bc pills because I always end up getting breakthrough bleeding after 8 months or so. This pill I've been on the longest 2 years and I just started experiencing the breakthrough bleeding 4 months ago. It would start around my second week of pills and I would begin with all the pms symptom first.. Swollen breast, bloating, mood swings... Then I would have spotting for a day or two. The spotting would go away but the pms symptoms would stay until I got my period at the scheduled time. So the bloating and swollen, tender breast for 3 weeks out of the month got old so my doctor switched me to aleese. I've yet to try it. But over all I didn't have a bad experience with cryselle. I would highly recommend it."

Kkkkkkkkkkk (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2016

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Cryselle for 2.5 months now. I've had acne all my life and had finally gotten it under control before starting Cryselle. It's out of control again. Additionally, I've had some serious anxiety/depression/mood swings. I cry all the time and have irrational obsessive/anxious thoughts. The benefits definitely did not outweigh the costs. My GYN is switching my prescription."

DeborahHH July 8, 2016

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on these for 6 months, I'm a very petite person and ever since I was 17 I've had crazy bad cramps and acne. I've tried a few different kinds of pills but the low- Ogestrel 28 pills made me sick, cramps never went away and even got worse. My acne got good within a few months but then got bad again. My sex dive has decreased and I hate that, it also has messed with my hormones and I'm already emotional so I'm ten times more upset when I don't need to be. I don't have a good appetite anymore and it making me more sick, also made me throw up when I take them to late. My period goes from 4 days to 2 days, then a week, its all over the place and I would like a steady cycle. so in all these pills are to over the place not really helpful."

DarlingB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2016