User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel

Also known as: Cryselle, Low-Ogestrel-28, Elinest, Ogestrel 0.5/50

Ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 320 ratings on Drugs.com. 40% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
5.4
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding  Off-label
5.2
Endometriosis  Off-label
6.3
Gonadotropin Inhibition  Off-label
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel reviews 5.4 320 reviews

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel

GhostBunny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 19, 2021

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “Honestly the worst BC I’ve EVER been on. My old PCP changed me without my consent, the first 3 months I didn’t have a period. My fiancé had to keep buying pregnancy tests for me (which were all negative) I have developed PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), my depression has gotten severely worse to the point I have to be on two Aantidepressants instead of one, I never have normal periods, I take iron supplements & this time my period was so bad I almost passed out & gave me a cramp for 5 hours straight. No matter whether I have a tampon in AND a maxi pad on, I’ll manage to bleed down my legs.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 12, 2021

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I've been taking this birth control for about 5 years, it’s the only BC I’ve ever taken. Thankfully the first one I tried worked pretty well for me so I just never switched cause I was too scared. Overall Cryselle hasn’t had too many side effects on me; no weight gain, normal acne, lighter periods and less cramping. However, my libido is very very low and it wasn’t always like this so I’m 99% sure it’s from the pill which is sad. That’s the only negative effect it has had on me that I’m aware of, but everyone is different. Some say it has made their sex life better so.”

AmandaH91 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 15, 2021

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I have been on this pill for over 4 years. In these past four years I have been moody, emotional, and depressed. I seriously thought I had a mental disorder, and I seemed helped because of it. The only good thing about this pill was I never got pregnant. Since stopping this pill I have been happy...and my true self again.”

Mon. · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 21, 2019

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I have been on this medication for years and I am switching to a new one to have a period every 3 months. I googled the new one and got freaked out because of all the negative reviews, so I thought I would google the one I am on now. I have had no issues with it at all. No moodiness, no anxiety, no acne, no weight gain. It works like a dream. My periods were awful before Cryselle and this helped it so much. So this is for all those out there looking up google reviews and freaking out like I did. Trust your doctor, give it a try, if you notice bad symptoms talk to them. You should never stay on a medication for close to a year if it is no good. It does not take your body that long to regulate. I hope this post is helpful. ”

buckeye11 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 28, 2020

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “When I first started this birth control, I was extremely skeptical considering all of the reviews seemed to be negative. Prior to trying Cryselle, I was on 5 other birth control pills but had bad reactions to all of them. Severe acne, anxiety, depression, and non-stop spotting were some of the side effects I had on other pills. When I tried Cryselle, I had the best results yet. Light, little to no periods, no weight gain, no acne, no changes in mood. The first few weeks I felt a little fatigued, but it went away after a month or two. If you are skeptical about going on this birth control, I recommend giving it a go. It was definitely worth it, and it's been the best birth control I've ever been on, with no noticeable side effects.”

Lena · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 19, 2021

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I’ve been taking this birth control for a year now. It is so not for me. My hair is falling out in clumps, my anxiety is terrible, I sometimes get 2-3 periods a month, and I’m getting acne in places I’ve never had acne. Not to mention I don’t usually gain so much weight but I’ve gained more in this year than I ever have. 1/10 for effort, but if your doctor recommends this, RUN!”

Birth control · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I’m so glad I found this page with so many Cryselle reviews to see I wasn’t alone. I’m a generally happy person, but once I started taking this birth control I started to experience VERY severe depression, anxiety and I was very moody. I even considered seeing a psychiatrist because of how horrible I started feeling. Everyone around me noticed the changes in me. Seeing everyone else’s reviews helped me and encouraged me to change my birth control after seeing I wasn’t the only one experiencing this.”

LizH · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 29, 2019

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on Cryselle 28 for a while, at least 4 years probably even longer. I went on birth control originally because I had really heavy, long periods with intense cramps. My first birth control (BC) pill stopped helping after I had been on it for a while which is when I was put on Cryselle and I’ve been on it ever since. My periods are regulated and come at the same exact time every month, I get slight cramping here and there but nothing bad, it’s done it’s job in preventing pregnancy, I haven’t had any skin issues or noticed any changes in my mental health. When taking all of these reviews into consideration I suggest that in order to find a BC that’s best suited for you and your body, discuss the options with your gyno and try them out for yourself because your body may react to the medication in a completely different way than somebody else’s, as we can see from the wide variation of reviews.”

Anonymous November 6, 2011

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “This pill has done nothing but cause me problems. My skin is oily, I have really bad mood swings, I have gained 6 pounds and I'm constantly crying over any little thing. I find a reason to argue with my boyfriend over ANYTHING. I'm seriously thinking about stopping the pill.”

Carly · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2020

Elinest (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “Do not recommend this birth control Elinest it made severely depressed to the point I had to receive help. I also had hot flashes, spotting, migraines, mood swings, acne, water retention and nausea. I was only on it for 4 months, but that was enough time for me to completely lose myself. I hope this helps someone else going through the same roller coaster”

ccfLALA November 18, 2013

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I am 25 and began taking Cryselle for birth control. I've had oily skin and moderate acne since puberty. I've been using topical medicines to treat my acne for two years. The first month taking Cryselle, I broke out horribly the week of my period. We're talking the worst pimples I've ever had- the kind that throb when you bend over. The second month, I had no break out. I have not had a single blemish in the past 4 months of taking Cryselle. Mood swings are mild to unnoticeable. Even though there may be lots of ladies with bad experiences with this birth control, don't be afraid to try it. Cryselle has turned out to be very good for me and cleared my skin. Just be patient, give it at least 2 months before quitting.”

BrookeAlise March 19, 2018

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I was one of those girls who has anxiety over trying new medicines. I looked up everything online and got scared easily. However, I have been on Cryselle for four years now. And I love it. A lot of people share the negative stories behind it but I want to share my good experience. I have not gained weight from this drug at all, no mood swings or anything like that. My periods went from being 7-8 days of hell, to 4-5 days of livable periods. The only downside (and this isn't even that bad) is that my breasts have become more tender a few days before my period. Thats it. No crazy cramps or bad blood clots. This was the first birth control I tried and it worked well for me. Everyone reacts different, but I wanted to share my good experience and possibly get rid of some girls anxiety about this pill.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2013

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I was given this pill as a second option because I felt the other pill I was taking was causing me to gain weight. I notice that with this pill I was not happy. Not with the pill, but my personality drastically changed. I was moody, irritable, emotional and down right a pain to be around. I have stopped taking it a week ago, just to see if my mood would improve, and it has. I would say stay away from this pill if you are under stress, as it will add to that negative side of your life.”

Christine July 23, 2019

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I was on Cryselle for about a year before I was switched to Low Ogestrel. This pill nearly ruined my life! Within the first month I gained nearly 40 lbs. Then came the moodiness and apathy. By May, I felt literally insane. I had crippling anxiety, had zero interest in intimacy with my fiancé, and ended up in the ER with panic attacks. It was determined that I was estrogen dominant. *A pill only doesn't have to be exactly alike just within a certain range to be called “equivalent”.* While I’m sure Cryselle didn’t help, things spiralled on this pill. I was prescribed medications for anxiety and depression; I have NEVER experienced either of these in my life. I am now on multiple regimes to bring down my estrogen and regulate my hormones. I have lost half the 40 pounds in 3 weeks and am dealing with acne and weird body odor as my body gets rid of whatever was in this pill. The reviews mentioning anxiety especially definitely held true for me.”

Ash1245 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2014

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “This is my second month taking Low Ogestrel. Definitely has helped with hormonal acne breakouts.. Still get a pimple every once in a while when I'm stressed and it's around my period. The only thing I'm concerned about is having a brown discharge instead of my period during the placebo week.”

YR · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2014

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “Today marks the second month I've been on this pill. In the beginning it was fine except that my face was breaking out really bad. I thougth I would deal with that until about a week or so ago I started getting terrible mood swings. I can't stand the person who sits next to me at work I can't stand my boyfriend, my friends anyone. I thought I was just having a bad week until the past two days I couldn't stop crying and would randomly burst out crying in public places! I called my DR and she told me to get off the pill immediately. I will sign back on and let you know how I feel a week from now!”

This pill sucks March 24, 2013

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I have been taking this pill for about 7 months now and I thought that all the side effects it was giving me was something else so I just ignored them. Until now, when I finally hit it on the head and realized all my weird mood swings and everything are from this pill. I'm going to my doctor to switch. Every day I'm so depressed and want to cry all the time. I've lost interest in social activities and some days all I can do is lay in bed all day from fatigue and exhaustion over doing nothing. My skin is extremely oily and my hair that was once very thick is falling out. The smallest things irritate me and on my period it feels like the world is ending. I have difficulties breathing, dizzy spells, huge cravings for junk food. ”

AH · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 5, 2019

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I started taking Cryselle for heavy bleeding due to a uterine fibroid and it has been highly effective. The bleeding stopped almost immediately and the Cryselle has managed it well for a year now. I am peri menopausal so I will likely keep taking this through early menopause. It is helping manage those symptoms ok, though I still have night sweats and headaches.”

AVB!! · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 11, 2013

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I absolutely love this birth control pill, worked great for me. I had no weight gain, I had regular/short period with no cramps! It also helped a lot with my acne, while on the pill, I had no acne and very clear skin, but now that I'm off I wish I was still on the pill just for that reason.”

Mandy12345 August 4, 2014

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I was on Lo-Ogesteral and was very happy with it but my doctor stopped carrying it and prescribed me Cryselle saying it was the same thing. I've been on it for almost 6 months now and am just as happy as I was with Lo-Ogestral. My period used to be really heavy and lasted a week before I was on birth control. Now it lasts 5 days and is pretty light to moderate depending on which day I'm on in my cycle, never heavy. No break through bleeding, no crying jags, no acne, no weight gain. The only thing that happens to me is the first few days of a new pack I get nauseous after taking the pill. But I get nauseous easily.”

Shay_p May 2, 2014

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I can't rate this a 10, because nothing works perfectly. But this is the best birth control that I have been on this far. I am 26 years old and I have been on 2 birth control pills previously that had not worked out nearly as well as Cryselle. I developed as I was taking the other birth control pills, many ovarian cysts which led to spotting and constant pain. I also rarely got my period, even while taking the placebo pills. My doctor switched me to this and I regularly get a period now and have little to no pain. For me, this is the best thing that has happened to me.”

dramadollam March 23, 2008

Lo/Ovral-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel): “ive gone thru about 15 different types of bcp's all with neg results from being a bitch 24/7, being depressed, sore breasts, skin discolor, weight gain, uti's, u name it its happened. this is the only one ive taken that has not had any effect on me physically, emotionally, or even persona wise. i love it and have been on it for 2yrs with no problem. i would recommend it to someone whos had as picky as a body as i do.”

Anonymous June 13, 2019

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “This pill Crystelle is downright terrible. I could not give a more honest opinion. Yes, it does it’s job of protecting you from pregnancy, but the side effects are NOT worth it. I’ve been taking it a year and a half now and not once in my life have I ever had acne until this pill. My face feels like a gravel road because my skin is so haggard. So that right there has ruined my self confidence, and on top of that I’m more depressed than I’ve ever felt in my whole life. Constant mood swings. I feel fat, pimple ridden, moody, and all around awful. But hey, at least I’m not pregnant. Totally not worth it ladies.”

buckeyegirl · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 7, 2018

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I had a mirena before I switched to this which made my life living hell. I told my doctor I had really bad emotional side effects to the mirena and she prescribed me this. I've now been on it for about 3 years and I love it. Gives me no mental side effects or mood swings. Doesn't give me acne, and I have never spotted on my active weeks. I honestly don't even have anything negative to say about this, it's honestly worked super well for me.”

One moody mama · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 5, 2013

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I have been taking this pill since May. For months now I have been feeling achy and nauseous. Just recently I started having meltdowns at work over nothing. Crying spells. It wasn't until I was about to throw the pamphlet away when I decided to read the side effects. Under Severe allergic reaction it states severe mood swings, depression, loss of appetite. I'm suffering from all of them. ”

Hannah February 24, 2020

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I’ve been using this medicine Cryselle for almost two months. I cry or I am mad 24/7. I’m also having really severe cramping which didn’t start till around my 2/3 week of taking them. If I don’t eat I get nauseous but don’t throw up. Also, my skin is breaking out like it’s never have before. It’s making me think I’m pregnant which is making everything worse but I’ve gotten my period so I think I’m fine.”

Hannah · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I got put on Crystelle birth control about 2-3 weeks ago. My anxiety and depression has been so bad I constantly feel like something bad is going to happen. At first I thought it was because of stress from other things. But, I'm also getting bad migraines everyday and around the same time everyday I feel nauseous and dizzy like I'm going to throw up but I don't. It's making me think I'm pregnant sometimes which is making my anxiety so much worse.”

Anonymous February 4, 2012

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: “I have had a fantastic experience with Cryselle. I take the pill before I go to bed every night, and have never had a side effect. I have been on Cryselle for 26 months, and have never gotten pregnant. Prior to taking Cryselle, my cycle was random and rarely hit at the same time each month, but since being on the birth control, my cycle is constant. I highly recommend this birth control.”