User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel

Also known as: Cryselle, Elinest, Lo/Ovral, Lo/Ovral-28, Low-Ogestrel-21, Low-Ogestrel-28, Ogestrel, Ogestrel 0.5/50, Ogestrel-28, Ovral, Ovral-21, Ovral-28

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel.

Endometriosis 8 reviews 167 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 22 reviews 169 medications

5.6
Birth Control 154 reviews 299 medications

5.5
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel reviews 184 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I took this pill for 3 years and in those three years I THOUGHT nothing was wrong but I was really emotional and I got depressed before my periods. I thought I had just changed but as soon as I went off this pill all those things went away. Be highly aware of your emotional state before and during."

MrsLL (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I switched to this because it is the highest dosage after experiencing breakthrough bleeding on my last pill which I was also on for two years. All breakthrough bleeding has stopped and my period has even shortened from 7 days on my old pill to 5 days on this one. I experienced some nausea in the mornings the first day or two of each new pill pack the first couple months but this only lasted maybe 3-4 months and I have experienced this symptom every time I try a new birth control so I do not know if it is specific to this pill. I also gained about 10 lbs the first couple months that shed a few months later but this is also a typical symptom I have experienced on every pill I have tried. Overall, this pill works and has no serious symptoms."

VB137 April 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on Cryselle for three, going on four months now. It is great. The only side effect I have is some dizziness. I was put on this as part of treatment for hypothyroidism, and it has resolved my hormonal imbalances. I was previously on minastrin 24 FE and I gained weight, and bled for three months straight. The day I started Cryselle, the bleeding stopped, and I have had no breakthrough bleeding whatsoever. My skin is clear, mood is good (but I am also on wellbutrin). I have energy enough to exercise six days a week and have lost 30lbs since starting this pill in the last week of December, which is exciting because I had been unable, for years, to lose this pesky thyroid weight gain. Sex drive through the roof, not pregnant."

mur354 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "My doctor put me on Cryselle after 3 years on Microgestin. I've been on Cryselle for 2 years now. I switched pills b/c of headaches, VERY tender breasts, and the pill causing zero libido (I'm not exaggerating). Cryselle improved my headaches, although I still have them they are not as bad. Breasts are also not as sore, although Cryselle caused them to grow huge. Libido is better, but only by like 10% (which is generous). Overall, my experience with Cryselle has been positive. Also, I haven't gotten pregnant so it obviously gets then job done!"

Glivas March 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was before on Trinessa, and I never had any side effects or problems. I'm on Cryselle for about 2 weeks (I had to change the pills for a while) - I have constant nausea and dizziness. I hope this goes off soon - if no, I'm stopping them."

LadyG. (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 18 and have been on Cryselle for around 3 years. I have 3-4 day periods that are generally pretty light and manageable. No weight gain or mood swings, but I've suffered from acne since I hit puberty and recently realized that my skin completely clears up during my placebo pill week. I really think that the hormones in Cryselle are what's been giving me such bad skin. Although I really like everything else about this pill, I'm switching to another next week that will hopefully improve my skin."

Anna L. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "First off I have only been on this pill for one month; I will update when I have been on it for longer and how I'm feeling. Why I got on this pill? I was having crazy irregular cycles, I would go two months without a period and then be bleeding HEAVILY for nearly a month straight. I didn't really have any pain or anything but I didn't want to become anemic and many women in my family struggle with PCOS and endometriosis so I wanted to get this taken care of, not to mention even though my S.O. and I have been together over 3 years we're really not in a place to have a child so it was probably best that I got on a birth control again. (In the past I had the Depo shot and Aviane pill but had stopped due to the side effects I was experiencing."

MEW603 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been taking cryselle for about 2-3 weeks now. It is much better than my previous birth control brand (Tri-Estarylla). My previous birth control caused weight gain, had horrible mental side effects, and caused various other problems. Using cryselle has eliminated all of these problems for me. I can't say I love it just yet, but it is definitely better. My main issue/concern is the spotting. I'll wake up in the morning and it'll look like I just came on my period. This pill also moved my cycle up. I'm used to having periods starting around the middle of the month, but this first month using the pill, it came on the 1st. I'll speak to my doctor about it, but I'm pretty content so far with this birth control."

Siri0101 February 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Cryselle for two years now and I absolutely love it! I actually lost weight since taking the pill and have maintained this new low weight ever since. My periods used to be 8-10 days and filled with unbearable cramps and heavy bleeding. My periods are now 3-4 days and extremely light. My boobs get a little sore before I'm going to begin but that's how it's always been for me. Everyone's different. I experience little to no cramps with the pill which is amazing compared to what I used to deal with. I can remember having to stay home from school because my cramps and bleeding were so severe it would make me sick. I'm 20 years old and began taking Cryselle at 18. I highly recommend !!!"

Rachel1996 January 28, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been taking Cryselle for 2 years now and I love it. Haven't had any side effects and the way it helps keep my period regular is awesome. I know exactly when to expect it and how long it will last. Before Cryselle I was taking another birth control that made me nauseous, gave me headaches, and would give me 2 periods a month. I love that I found Cryselle and I will continue to use it."

Melissa M. (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Cryselle changed my life. I went from super heavy periods with unbearable cramps that lasted 6-7 days to light, painless periods that last 3 days. My mood swings are gone and I haven't had any side effects besides a decreased libido which I honestly don't mind."

crampless (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've been taking cryselle since I was 15, I am now 21. I needed a medication to lighten my periods because I have severe anemia. Overall, I was satisfied with this birth control. I did have side effects like weight gain. I gained nearly 50 lbs over the last 7 years which isn't normal since I have a strict diet and work out every single day. My periods were still heavy at first. But during the last year and a half, my periods last 2 days and are very light like spotting. I am sexually actively, so I was worried that I may have been pregnant, but tests say otherwise. I had random acne before my periods on my chin and cheeks. I craved salty foods around the time of my period so that could be the culprit of my acne. Cramps weren't awful. There would be cramps that stopped my in my tracks but they lasted a few seconds and I was fine. It's just the normal period symptoms that are normal to have! I am currently switching to lo loestrine and have read more bad reviews than good ones. So I'm not sure that I want to go ahead and start the pack after my last dose of cryselle or not."

justme090909 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Cryselle for 3 years. It's the best birth control that ever has controlled my period. Light, never heavy, sometimes so light you don't have to wear anything except a liner. I'll start on Thursday be off by late Saturday with spotting on Sunday. Before, I'd bleed for two weeks straight. But the side effects of this pill are horrible. Everything starts two weeks before, severe breast tenderness, uncontrollable mood swings, nausea, headaches, and slight stomach pains that aren't cramps. If you can bare all of the symptoms and have short periods then Cryselle is for you if not then you should pass."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on cryselle for about 6 years, never had a problem. No side effects never experienced a headache (but I never get headaches prior) periods always come on the 3rd placebo pill day and last 2 days and the 3rd day is spotting. No crazy hormones and no acne AT ALL. The first pack u will experience nausea as any birth control pill because the hormones but should subside by the second pack. I did stop taking the pills after about 5 1/2 years when I noticed my vaginal mucus started smelling funky for about 2 months, when I stopped birth controll completely it went away and then I had a baby, just finished my first pack of cryselle post pregnancy and the same smell is back. Maybe I was on it for too long though! Hope this helps"

Kingsmomma (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "On the third pack and bleeding has yet to stop. Sometimes the bleeding is actually lighter on the week of my period."

DMH81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I first took cryselle when I was 15 and I had the worst side effects. break through bleeding, headaches, anxiety attacks, weight gain,and my periods lasted 2 weeks. Got on it again when I was 18 and had Little side effects! My periods are a little heavier and hurt a bit more, and have very sore boobs other than that it's a charm. No pregnancy"

DD1234853 October 19, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lo/Ovral-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I took this for 10 yrs. began experiencing severe leg cramping and depression. During a routine exam found a lump in my breast at 31. Had a hysterectomy at 40 due to Adenomyosis and eventually had a bilateral mastectomy at 51 after developing breast cancer."

3catz October 16, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I started this medicine in August, so I haven't really been on it for long.. But, I did notice it regulated my periods. I had VERY irregular periods, which is why I am on birth control. I mean my periods were very light and lasted 2 weeks! And I feel like it made my cramping worse."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Severe constipation started within 2 days after I started this pill (had been on low ovral for years prior, but currently unavailable), acne followed, and now 5lb weight gain in past 3 weeks. The stomach craps are so painful (constipation-related) that I am completely distracted throughout the day, every day now. I cannot wait to finish cycle and move on to another pill. I've taken many different types of pills in the past 20 years...never had a single issue of any sort until this one."

Wendy M (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I started this birth control a few days ago and been dealing with bad cramps, stomach pain, and tightness in my stomach when I yarn or cough. It's just so awful that I stayed in bed most of the day. I discontinued it today and going on another birth control that I love and had no side effects. My doctor switched me to Cryselle despite me telling her I want to stay on the other one, now she switched me back. Not trying to scare anyone but it's best you avoid this medicine."

MissFloridaSunshine October 6, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on this pill for four months now. I used to have extremely heavy periods that could last longer than a month. This pill has reduced my period to a week and it's what I imagine is normal instead of heavy. Since I started this pill, I've had extremely strange experiences with my stomach. I have a lot of stomach problems but this has been a lot worse. I'm nauseous almost all the time now, with the mornings being the worst. I experienced discomfort in my upper right abdomin, mimicking gallstones or an infection. Went to the ER, they had no idea what it was. Unsure if this is related to this medication, but there definitely seems to be a relation between it and the nausea. No acne or weight gain from me, as I've been reading about."

Anonymous October 6, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "This is the worst form of birth control I have ever been on, I gained 10 pounds in a month without changing my diet. I'm normally an anxious person and get hormonal around my period but this pill intensified everything. I cried almost everyday and got angry over stupid things and I didn't have any anxiety free moments through out the day at all on this pill. Terrible headaches and nausea, I just got off of it so I'm hoping it all goes away soon. I don't recommend this"

ruubym (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on this pill for 3 months now I think, my Dr.switched it up randomly and it says it clears your skin but honestly my skin has been very bad since I started taking these..I have very bad breakouts and I've never been this bad.. my period has always been kinda normal and still is but I have gained weight a lot too.. any recommendations??"

Pinkiie September 28, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Breakthrough bleeding all month for almost two years, extreme irritability, to the point that I came here to read others' moods when on this drug. Also, the PMS symptoms last all month long. I am only level headed when it's the week off. No sex drive, bloating, cramping, nausea, fatigue and really greasy hair. I am going to ask for a new pill. I tried to stay on this pill, but, it's bad in every way."

Anonymous September 21, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was on Cryselle for about 6 years. I had severe fatigue and lack of energy, was physically exhausted and drained no matter how much sleep I got, my hair was falling out like crazy, I had water retention and headaches, I was irritable and moody and I had extremely low sex drive. I eat healthy, exercise regularly, and have had my thyroid and blood sugar checked, as well as blood tests for anemia, etc, all came back normal. The fatigue and lack of energy was what really bothered me and after doing my own research I discovered this can all be related to my BC. I'm now trying a new pill. Each person is different so what may work for someone may not work for someone else. The positives were my periods were very light and I did not get pregnant."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2016