User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel

Also known as: Cryselle, Elinest, Lo/Ovral, Lo/Ovral-28, Low-Ogestrel-21, Low-Ogestrel-28, Ogestrel, Ogestrel 0.5/50, Ogestrel-28, Ovral, Ovral-21, Ovral-28

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel.

Endometriosis
7.1

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.8

Birth Control
5.7

Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel reviews 6.2 198 reviews

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestrel

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "This is my first birth control I have ever been on. I've been on this pill going on two years. It does its job in the field of preventing pregnancy. The only thing I dislike about it is I get very moody at times while on it, if I skip a pill and have to double up on it the next night I get a real bad headache! I have experienced weight gain as well, which no girl cares for. But like they all say every one is different."

Moodytrojan09 September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Was on it for about a year and 2 months. Experienced no weight gain or mood swings. My acne was not severe by any means but it did flare the first month I started taking low-ogestrel, which went away the next month. Still get occasional pimples closer to my period. Had to switch because after about 11-12 months I started spotting during the active pills, which turned into full blown periods that would last for 2 weeks. Tried to ride it out because my doctor suggested it might be a hiccup, but it continued for two more months. Was bummed because I loved this birth control."

Alc14 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "My pharmacy used this brand and cryselle interchangeably, but both were generally the same thing for me. I gained a lot of weight on depo before this, and though I haven't gained more on this pill, I haven't been able to lose much weight on it either. My face isn't necessarily breaking out, but cheeks have been red with little bumps almost like rosacea since starting this brand. It isn't constant but does flare up sometimes. The only really bad side effect I've noticed is I've gotten really bad anxiety and mood swings. It is still way better than how I felt on depo and the birth control is really cheap ($15 per pack) so I will stick with it until I have money to try other brands"

Rlt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I really like this medication, however it does make me a bit grouchy and mean during the first week of each pill package. My appetite is normal. My periods are very light. No cramps. Was worried about the weight gain, but I have lost weight so I am guessing it can be due to work or some ingredient that does not cause a lot of bloat and water retention. In result, I am looking forward to stay with this brand."

Noey7 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on this medicine for 6 months. I gave it a 5 for the sole fact it does do its job in preventing pregnancy and my periods have been overall shorter and lighter. However, starting this pill I was miserable from extremely tender breasts, nausea, extreme emotions, and weight gain. I've been on birth control for 10 years and have never gained weight, but within 6 weeks of starting this pill I gained 20lbs. Because of that and the fact that it makes me extremely emotional and/ or moody, I will be stopping at the end of my current pack."

Kmhall12 August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was prescribed Cryselle for extremely heavy periods due to a fibroid tumor. The bleeding I experienced not only interfered with my daily life, but also caused anemia and seemed to only be getting heavier by the month. I started taking Cryselle 4 months ago - and haven't experienced any negative side effects (other than the expected break through bleeding month two, which I attributed to my body adjusting to the medication). My periods are much lighter! Also,PMS type symptoms like sore breasts and bloating have significantly decreased. I'm very pleased so far with Cryselle!"

bjg2 August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been using Cryselle for three months now and it has been amazing!!! I used to get horrible cramps that often made me nauseous and that resulted in me missing several days of school just because of my period. Since I've been on this birth control, my period changed from 5 days to 3 days and I bleed much lighter with mild to no cramps. The first couple weeks I had some mood swings and cravings for food but it stopped after the first month. The only downside to it is it will make you feel nauseous if you take it at night and my breasts are very tender and sore during my period. But other than that A++!!!"

Juliette.14325 August 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ogestrel (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "After being prescribed this pill I gained 10lbs, I was angry very easily and was very emotional with lots of mood swings. Since coming off of it 6 months ago my boobs haven't gone back to normal but I lost a small bit of weight. It feels very hard to lose any weight around my hips and stomach area though. None of my clothes fit anymore because of this. Has this happened to anyone else? Will I ever be able to lose this weight?"

Mefoster July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on it for about 3 years, it works as I haven't gotten pregnant. My first 3 months were horrible with nausea and vomiting on the first 2 weeks of the pack. I take my pill at night so waking up on the first weeks of the pack was horrible. My doctor warned me of feeling 'morning sickness' but the nausea subsided after the 3 months. I still occasionally get some nausea but it's only if I missed a dose and had to take 2 on the same day. My periods are about 3 days and light. I always get it by the third day of taking the placebo pills. Some months I get cramps but they're not painful. I get PMS one week before my period, and I've noticed I get really depressed, emotional And get chin acne. I've gotten used to it so I'm okay with it."

Onthepill (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "This was the first birth control I was on, I've since bounced around to three others and I'm finally back to Cryselle. I have found this to be the most consistent and dependable. It normalized my cycle and helped my bad cramps and PCOS. My acne didn't really change much, but it did help my deep cystic acne. Now I just get those clusters of tiny acne around my placebo week. If I skip it I don't get them though. All in all, I like cryselle the best out of the 4 I've been on. I've been on cryselle for about 3 years now and I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon. Especially since it's cheaper than the others.Just remember everyone is different and will react differently to every pill!"

JustAnotherWoman (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I really love this birth control, but as someone else stated, I think it might be affecting my libido. I haven't noticed any weight gain at all since I've been using this. I have been on it for over two years and really have no true complaints. My skin is completely clear during my placebo week, and relatively clear the rest of the time. But I still have some random nasty breakouts. This could just be my skin type though, and might not have anything to do with the birth control. I was on a high estrogen birth control before this, which negatively affected my mood, but I feel great on this one. I don't ever find myself feeling super moody, just my usual self. My period usually lasts 4 days, nothing bad at all. Overall, I recommend it."

tgkbecca May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on this birth control for about 8 years so I feel I can write a fair review. I started taking birth control in high school because my cycle was so painful and heavy. I had to miss school because of cramps. As soon as I started taking this (the generic version was called something else back then) my symptoms went away. I went from a 7 day heavy painful period to a 3-4 day light period. I've always had acne and I can't say this helped tremendously when I was in high school and college, now that I'm in my mid 20s my acne is gone. I haven't noticed anything related to hormones on this pill. Yes, when my period is about to come sometimes I'll get a little more emotional than I would during other parts of the month, but that would happen even if you weren't on the pill. The only thing I've noticed is that my libido is higher during the placebo week. I think birth control might kill libido a bit. Overall if you have terrible period pains I would recommend this pill. It really saves me every month."

MaggieG33 May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on the pill for more then a year now & I love it. I used to get really bad headaches before, horrible cramps & a heavy period twice a month. The pill changed everything no more constant headaches, no cramps or any menstrual symptoms, no acne, light flow 3-4 & no weight gain. The pills been great to me!"

Jaaaaaay April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I gave this pill a 5 because it DID protect me from getting pregnant so the pill does the job. Pros: Easy to take. Protected me for 2 years. Did not gain any weight. Sex drive stayed normal Cons: -Constant chin acne -Bad PMS that would start a week after getting my period so I felt like I never had a break. That food craving/sore breasts/ emotional/angry feeling would pop up 2 weeks before my period even started. Basically it was 1 week of normal and the rest was all hormonal. Overall the pill does what you need it to do. Protects you from pregnancy. However, I can't take the emotions/acne so I'm on the hunt for a new pill."

Jessica Ralphs 13332 April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I took this pill for 3 years and in those three years I THOUGHT nothing was wrong but I was really emotional and I got depressed before my periods. I thought I had just changed but as soon as I went off this pill all those things went away. Be highly aware of your emotional state before and during."

MrsLL (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I switched to this because it is the highest dosage after experiencing breakthrough bleeding on my last pill which I was also on for two years. All breakthrough bleeding has stopped and my period has even shortened from 7 days on my old pill to 5 days on this one. I experienced some nausea in the mornings the first day or two of each new pill pack the first couple months but this only lasted maybe 3-4 months and I have experienced this symptom every time I try a new birth control so I do not know if it is specific to this pill. I also gained about 10 lbs the first couple months that shed a few months later but this is also a typical symptom I have experienced on every pill I have tried. Overall, this pill works and has no serious symptoms."

VB137 April 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been on Cryselle for three, going on four months now. It is great. The only side effect I have is some dizziness. I was put on this as part of treatment for hypothyroidism, and it has resolved my hormonal imbalances. I was previously on minastrin 24 FE and I gained weight, and bled for three months straight. The day I started Cryselle, the bleeding stopped, and I have had no breakthrough bleeding whatsoever. My skin is clear, mood is good (but I am also on wellbutrin). I have energy enough to exercise six days a week and have lost 30lbs since starting this pill in the last week of December, which is exciting because I had been unable, for years, to lose this pesky thyroid weight gain. Sex drive through the roof, not pregnant."

mur354 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "My doctor put me on Cryselle after 3 years on Microgestin. I've been on Cryselle for 2 years now. I switched pills b/c of headaches, VERY tender breasts, and the pill causing zero libido (I'm not exaggerating). Cryselle improved my headaches, although I still have them they are not as bad. Breasts are also not as sore, although Cryselle caused them to grow huge. Libido is better, but only by like 10% (which is generous). Overall, my experience with Cryselle has been positive. Also, I haven't gotten pregnant so it obviously gets then job done!"

Glivas March 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was before on Trinessa, and I never had any side effects or problems. I'm on Cryselle for about 2 weeks (I had to change the pills for a while) - I have constant nausea and dizziness. I hope this goes off soon - if no, I'm stopping them."

LadyG. (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 18 and have been on Cryselle for around 3 years. I have 3-4 day periods that are generally pretty light and manageable. No weight gain or mood swings, but I've suffered from acne since I hit puberty and recently realized that my skin completely clears up during my placebo pill week. I really think that the hormones in Cryselle are what's been giving me such bad skin. Although I really like everything else about this pill, I'm switching to another next week that will hopefully improve my skin."

Anna L. (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Low-Ogestrel-28 (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "First off I have only been on this pill for one month; I will update when I have been on it for longer and how I'm feeling. Why I got on this pill? I was having crazy irregular cycles, I would go two months without a period and then be bleeding HEAVILY for nearly a month straight. I didn't really have any pain or anything but I didn't want to become anemic and many women in my family struggle with PCOS and endometriosis so I wanted to get this taken care of, not to mention even though my S.O. and I have been together over 3 years we're really not in a place to have a child so it was probably best that I got on a birth control again. (In the past I had the Depo shot and Aviane pill but had stopped due to the side effects I was experiencing."

MEW603 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been taking cryselle for about 2-3 weeks now. It is much better than my previous birth control brand (Tri-Estarylla). My previous birth control caused weight gain, had horrible mental side effects, and caused various other problems. Using cryselle has eliminated all of these problems for me. I can't say I love it just yet, but it is definitely better. My main issue/concern is the spotting. I'll wake up in the morning and it'll look like I just came on my period. This pill also moved my cycle up. I'm used to having periods starting around the middle of the month, but this first month using the pill, it came on the 1st. I'll speak to my doctor about it, but I'm pretty content so far with this birth control."

Siri0101 February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been on Cryselle for two years now and I absolutely love it! I actually lost weight since taking the pill and have maintained this new low weight ever since. My periods used to be 8-10 days and filled with unbearable cramps and heavy bleeding. My periods are now 3-4 days and extremely light. My boobs get a little sore before I'm going to begin but that's how it's always been for me. Everyone's different. I experience little to no cramps with the pill which is amazing compared to what I used to deal with. I can remember having to stay home from school because my cramps and bleeding were so severe it would make me sick. I'm 20 years old and began taking Cryselle at 18. I highly recommend !!!"

Rachel1996 January 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have been taking Cryselle for 2 years now and I love it. Haven't had any side effects and the way it helps keep my period regular is awesome. I know exactly when to expect it and how long it will last. Before Cryselle I was taking another birth control that made me nauseous, gave me headaches, and would give me 2 periods a month. I love that I found Cryselle and I will continue to use it."

Melissa M. (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cryselle (ethinyl estradiol / norgestrel) for Birth Control: "Cryselle changed my life. I went from super heavy periods with unbearable cramps that lasted 6-7 days to light, painless periods that last 3 days. My mood swings are gone and I haven't had any side effects besides a decreased libido which I honestly don't mind."

crampless (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017