User Reviews for Ortho Cyclen

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ortho Cyclen.

Endometriosis

Ovarian Cysts
5.5

Summary of Ortho Cyclen reviews 7.4 51 reviews

Reviews for Ortho Cyclen

For Birth Control "I can say this really wasn't the right pill for me. I'm 20 years old and I have a one year old daughter, so I decided that I wasn't really for anymore babies and I wanted birth control. Well my insurance got cut so I went to the county because a friend said I could get free birth control. They gave me 3 months worth of this one first and after I finish the last month they want me to come back for a check up. I have had severe anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember and I was just starting to be able to manage it on my own. I'm almost done with the first week on my second pack and I have absolutely no desire to do anything anymore. It's almost too hard to get out of bed. If you have anxiety/depression be careful!"

Mercedeswhat November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Prescribed after experiencing breakthrough bleeding on another oral contraceptive. I gave it a fair go - 4 or 5 months, and I can't seem to get adjusted. Mood swings are more severe, experienced a 10 lb weight gain, feeling considerably more anxious, extreme breast tenderness among feeling nauseated a week prior to period start date. Of course, everyone experiences this differently but that's my story. Will be discontinuing this on month end."

LLU (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen for almost two years. I was put on it for acne but also to prevent pregnancy. It has cleared up my skin very much and I am not pregnant, however, in recent months something has changed. I get extremely nauseous/throw up hours after I take the pill (even if I eat before), I feel lightheaded and dizzy, sex drive has definitely decreased and I am losing weight. Pregnancy tests have come back negative so it is definitely this pill. Everyone is different but this pill has been making me so sick lately so I will be switching."

Judith29 September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Been taking this pill for quite a few years, and never had any sort of problems on it. About a year ago, looks like they changed their inactive ingredients dramatically, adding many new chemicals to the mix, including something called Titanium dioxide.. With this new "formula" I noticed extreme weight loss (especially on face, boobs and butt), anxiety, mood swings, and just general malaise (all probably from the new preservatives they added in there). I really wish they hadn't changed it, and would reduce the amount of preservatives/chemicals they have now added to it. Gonna change to something else at next dr's appointment. And to anyone thinking of trying this new "Cyclen", I would say DON'T. Horrible experience."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just started my 5th pack of Ortho Cyclen. I have never taken any other birth control pills prior to this one so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but this one has worked well for me. My boyfriend and I are sexually active and do not want any children so I decided to the pill. My first couple of months on it I did feel little different - kind of anxious and more mood swings but that went away as I continued to take the pill and my body adjusted. The positive aspects I have noticed is it protects against pregnancy, is easy to swallow, makes your skin very healthy looking (my skin is glowing after a few months of taking), and makes my periods much much lighter than they were before starting on birth control."

Hannah P. (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Endometriosis "My doctor put me on Ortho Cyclen to help with pain outside of my period caused by undiagnosed Endometriosis. It has helped so much! I haven't been in the hospital for three months, and the pain is pretty much gone. My cramps are still there but not nearly as bad as they were before. Since being on it I have noticed weight loss rather than weight gain."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I got on the pill to help with acne and cramps. I originally got on Sprintec, which to my understanding is the generic form of Ortho Cyclen. My pharmacy started giving me ortho cyclen because it was free with my insurance and sprintec was not. However, when I got on ortho cyclen I noticed a considerable weight gain and my acne got really really bad. It did not work well for me so I got right back on Sprintec."

KristenM5 December 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been using this birth control for 4 months now, I didn't have any side affects with this pill. My period is lighter and with inactive pills my period start after 3 pills. Before this birth control my doctor gave me a less estrogen birth control and that was my first birth control and I bleed it non stop for a month, I did not want to continue so my doctor recommend to try birth control with mid level estrogen it ortho cyclen and I highly recommend it."

Vello (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I had switched to this pill after having adverse reactions to Paragard (bled EXTREMELY heavily for all but 5 days a month, anemia, nausea, horrible cramps, etc) and Nuvaring (persistent yeast infections). I started on the tri-cyclen, then switched to just cyclen in order to skip painful periods. I gained 50-60 lbs in the year and a half that I was on this medication, had trouble with my contacts, pms-like mood swings, continued to have my periods, etc. Before I changed medication, I was feeling a sensation I could only describe as feeling like I had died and was still acting alive. I did not attribute any of these side effects until after I switched bc's and immediately saw improvement. This was the wrong pill for me, but not prego."

SkippingtheAngryAuntFlo (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have been on Ortho Cyclen for over two years now and it has been great for me. It controls the hormonal acne I used to get on my jaw and makes my periods light and much less painful than without it (I still get cramps the first day). Before Ortho Cyclen, I had tried a couple other brands of birth control (even Ortho Tri-Cyclen), but I had negative side effects on them. Please don't give up if you are looking for a birth control. Ortho Cyclen might not work for you, but maybe it will. It's worth a shot in my opinion."

Zaaaaa (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Cyclen has recently changed their non-medicinal ingredients in the past year. I now experience insomnia, anxiety, and lethargy. Never had any problems before. Watch out for any new symptoms with these new chemicals in the ingredient list."

Anonymous August 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I told my physician that I had an issue with heavy bleeding and very long periods and this is what she prescribed me. I haven't been having sex so I honestly don't know if it prevents it but I can say this is the first BC that hasn't gave me super bad side affects. I get zero headaches and slight naseous and when I say slight it comes and goes on some days but never stays and nothing I can't deal with. I can say though I eat A LOT. I'm 124 and before started this BC I ate a lot anyways because hey I'm a woman that loves food! It just makes me crave foods more. I also have sore boobs but it's soreness that isn't bearable. Also, I'm very VERY emotional. I cry over shows on tv."

MegsMega (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "First off, let me say that this birth control was effective in preventing pregnancy for me, despite many negative side effects I experienced taking this pill. I was prescribed Ortho Cyclen to lessen period cramps, abnormal bleeding, and to prevent pregnancy. I can say the mood swings involved with this pill were miserable to deal with. I felt depressed or angry 99% of the time on this pill, but I wanted to give it a long enough time to see if my hormones would regulate. Not only was I sad, irritable and experienced low libido.....but I felt restless and nauseated from the hormones. i would not recommend this pill to anyone, and that is my humble and honest opinion."

Christy22 July 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I started taking Ortho Cyclen on April 17, 2016. For the first month, I had no side effects, but after my period ended, and I started a new pack, I immediately started throwing up about 12 hours after I took the pill. I was extremely worried, so I took pregnancy tests, but they were all negative. I ended up receiving my period in May, which meant that I wasn't pregnant! After my period again, I started throwing up again, still about 12-13 hours later, but it only happened for about 3-4 days. I guess, my body just isn't used to all of the hormones since I've never been on birth control before. I just had my June period, and I threw up for one day, but other than that, everything is great! I've had some weight gain, too."

Carleigh June 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am 21 years old and was on cyclen for 3 months when I was diagnosed with blood clots in my lungs (pulmonary embolism) I have since been informed that this birth control put me at a greater risk due to its higher levels of estrogen. Luckily they were caught and time and I am currently being treated for them. My symptoms started out as a aching/stabbing pain in my mid/upper back that was worse when I ate, then a few days later my breathing started to feel rather heavy. I was also coughing and burping a bit. I also had a bunch of other side effects during the course of taking this pill including: breast pain, headaches, nausea and major mood swings!! I don't normally right reviews but I would feel horrible if this happened to anyone else!!"

Flosty (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "Ortho Cyclen made me so depressed I wanted to end it. I started it when I was young, and it was my first pill. Nobody told me how extreme the side effects can be, and I was on it for years, just thinking I was a horribly depressed person and that life wasn't worth living. If I wasn't so close with my family I really think I would have put an end to myself. Turns out they gave me the wrong prescription and had originally intended to give me Tri-Cyclen. When they switched me over (after YEARS) the depression lifted. I don't know how much it prevented pregnancy (I would imagine well) because it turns out I'm sterile anyway. *sigh* But it ruined my quality of life so badly I wish I could do it all over again. They don't warn us enough."

Wut (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I been on this birth control for 7 years now. It did it's part. For that 7 years, it never failed me and haven't got pregnant on it. The most undesirable side effect it had on me was the tremendous weight gain. I ran out of my pills 2 days ago but I decided not to get anymore because my boyfriend and I are trying to start a family."

Babygirl721 February 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I was on this for about 4 years. I decided to finally get off because my mood swings were getting worse. This pill caused me to become severely depressed and developed extreme social anxiety. It was effective as a birth control but the side effects aren't worth it. I've been off it for a few months and feel so much better! Not depressed anymore and anxiety is finally getting better. Be mindful of your moods of you do decide to try this."

Liz1992 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I just started my first pack and I like it so far. I have noticed some spotting but overall it's great. I was on sprentec for a while which I loved then got switched to the ortho so I'm getting use to it"

Cutie2122 November 14, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I have currently been on Ortho-Cyclen for a few months now and am going back to my doctor soon to see if I can be prescribed something else. The good for me: very effective when taken correctly, and light periods with bearable cramping. The bad for me: terrible mood swings, bloating, very low libido, and nausea. If I didn't take this pill before bed and after a meal, I'd be sick to my stomach. I have experienced bloating, but haven't gained any weight. The low sex drive I have experienced on this has been very bad. Overall, it's free through my insurance and didn't get me pregnant, but the negative side effects are not worth it anymore!!"

Starry8594 October 21, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been Ortho Cyclen for a little over 2 months and I'm already getting off of it. My husband and I are newlyweds, so I started taking the pill beforehand so that it would be effective by the time we were married. I was terribly nauseous for the first week or two. Like, unbelievably nauseous. I felt like I couldn't even stand up through some of it. Eventually, the nauseousness passed and if it did happen, it wasn't as horrible or frequent. I did notice immediate acne as well (I almost never break out and I had big cyst-ish looking acne on my chin, which was lame with my upcoming wedding). I had NO weight gain, but I did lose my sex drive. When I say that, I mean I really didn't feel the same at all. (1/2)"

Nadine O. October 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "My first pack was a nightmare. Horrible nausea, zero sex drive & I felt so bloated all the time. After my first pack, things went smoother. I've gained about 15 lbs in the 8 months I've been on it but that may not be the pill's fault. The worst part is how this pill has changed the way my secretions smell I tried everything to change this thinking it was my diet. I'm now off the pill and everything has gone right back to normal. I will probably stay off now for this reason."

Anonymous September 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Ovarian Cysts "This medicine has worked pretty good for me. After having constant health problems such as weight gain, bad acne, and not having a period but once a year for 3 years and being told that it was "ok", I finally went to the OB/Gyne for another opinion. Found out that I had PCOS, and was placed on Ortho-Cyclen. This medicine started to clear my acne after 3 weeks of taking it and I started losing weight while on it. I lost a total of 6 pounds the first month and 8 the second month. The only drawback was that my period lasted for an entire 31 days the first month, but was told beforehand that it could last that long because of the time I went without a period."

Monae415 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Some pros: I grew 2 cup sizes, my flow is much lighter but no change in how long my periods last. Regular bowel movements and no mood swings. Cons: during the first pack I broke out like a preteen and now have to deal with (some) forehead and chin acne. Also experienced heavy uncomfortable cramping which eventually got better. Really sore breasts around the first week or two. I'm hungry all the time so I'm eating a lot more but no real change in weight."

Derpina (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Birth Control "I've been on it for 3 months now & I love it , period is much lighter ."

Gorllll (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015