User Reviews for Ortho Cyclen

Ovarian Cysts
5.5

Summary of Ortho Cyclen reviews 7.0 66 reviews

Reviews for Ortho Cyclen

For Birth Control "I LOVED this birth control! I was on it for 5 months before my doctor switched me to a cheaper alternative. My acne was nonexistent after about 3 weeks! My boobs grew from a 32A to a 34B in just a month, without weight gain in other regions of my body! I didn't experience mood swings, depression, anxiety, migraines or anything of the sort. My period went from slightly heavy and lasting 7-8 days to being super light for 4-5. My normal cramping on the first day still happened, but that happened prior to my use of this medication. I can't say enough good things about this product, and I wish I could go back on it again!"

cologal (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2018

For Birth Control "The first 3 months on the pill I had no problems, felt the exact same as I did before I started it (other than minor headaches sometimes). Then in the 4th month I randomly became extremely anxious, like a light switch in my head. I was fine one day, and the next day I was having crippling anxiety. The anxiousness lasted for weeks until I decided to get off of the pill to see if that was the culprit. Sure enough, I’ve been off of it almost a month and within the first week I felt like myself again; however, it is very effective in preventing pregnancy. Women, listen to your bodies"

Triple A October 4, 2018

For Birth Control "I took this pill for one year. Prior to ortho cyclen, I tried Apri (average), lo estrin (absolutely awful), ortho tricyclen (fine), and generess (loved). I switched from generess to ortho cyclen in attempt to decrease the frequency of my migraines. For the first 6 months, I barely had any side effects at all from ortho cyclen. My periods were heavier on this pill than on generess however my skin was clear, mood was completely normal, and I had less migraines. Unfortunately after about 6-7 mos, I started experiencing cystic acne on ortho cyclen. The acne flared at week 2 and again just before the inactive period pills . It is mostly cystic acne and hard to get rid of once it started. Between the cystic acne and heavy periods that last the full 7 days, I decided to switch back to generess. Overall this pill has pretty mild side effects. I just prefer a pill that is going to control period lightness, acne, or both. This pill did neither for me."

Mcccccc (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been on this pill for about 5 months now. It was really hard for me to adjust during the first 3 months. I was really moody and sometimes I just wanted to cry. I have gained about 10 lbs which I can deal with. I do believe this pill makes me more hungry but I am just not making the best food choices so I can't blame the weight gain on the pill. Now I have gained control of my feelings (lol) and that part has become a breeze. BUT the worse part is that my vision seems to have gotten worse. Things are a lot more blurry and I am chronically tired. I have been late to work because I just feel exhausted 98% of the time. I have fallen asleep at my computer at work for 5-10 minutes at a time. It's really affecting me now. I need to make a change before I lose my job."

Ashley D (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

For Birth Control "Great pill... I was on Apri before but that made me really depressed. Ortho Cylen didn't cause me to feel sick or to be sleepy. It didn't have any effect on my mental health either. I didn't gain much weight, and I did have an increase in breast size. It makes my periods more regular and I'm not pregnant! Highly recommend giving this pill a try."

mxry (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2018

For Birth Control "This pill made me lose weight just for the fact it made me so depressed. I think I'm going to stay on it just for the fact I don't wanna get pregnant."

Sarahb (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2018

For Birth Control "Ortho cyclen was the best pill for me for so many years before I had my son, I took Ortho cyclen for about 10 years, now after 2 years I went back to them AGAIN and my body is just not taking them well I have bad headaches , my blood pressure goes up, pain sometimes in my leg, or arm, vision blurriness, I also have insomnia I wake up at least 3 night a week in the middle of the night and I can't go back to sleep. With this headache and dizziness, maybe the hormones are not working well on me anymore, so I called the DR to ask her to please switch me to another brad she gave me Aviane. I hoping this pill will work better for me, I am just tired."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

For Birth Control "Started taking this a 2 months before I got married. We waited to have sex until we were married. Four months into it, I felt like I was going crazy and didn’t know why. Super emotional and anxious. Not like me at all. A friend suggested it may be the birth control. Sure enough, I got off of it and felt like myself again. Hormones can affect mood significantly, so know your body!"

Vickie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

For Birth Control "Ortho cyclen does a great job for what it’s worth but it makes me absolutely sick to my stomach. I take it around 9am but I rarely eat anything so that may be a cause. But throughout the day I'm constantly exhausted and have no motivation to do anything. I’ve thrown up multiple times BEFORE I eat and can't eat anything until I do throw up. Definitely considering switching to a different form of oral contraceptive"

Anonymous June 7, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been on cyclen for almost 2 years. It was good during the first year, since I’ve used it as a continuous pill & it has been great to prevent pregnancy. Sadly, since last year, I’ve started having a lot of acne because of this pill. As soon as I’m not taking my pill, my skin become flawless in less than a week. On this I am a lot more anxious and depressed- it seems to really disturb your emotions. I have an appointment to get a copper IUD inserted next week and I can’t wait to be off from hormones. Soon or later, it seems like every pills show off their worst sides. Before this one, I tried Seasonale which gave me WORST headaches ever! I could not manage it so I stayed on it during 5 months... You don’t have to go through all of this, please be careful of the side effects."

kade (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I use to have bad painful cramps during my period. So my doctor recommended that I try the pill first. When I first took the pill I didn't feel anything the first couple days. But, then about two weeks later I started to feel incredible dizziness , lightheaded and nausea . I stopped taking the pill and when I stopped taking the pill my body was lacking fluids and I ended up in the hospital. I would not recommend the pill to ANYBODY but every ones body are different it could work for you but it didn't for me ."

SiSi April 5, 2018

For Birth Control "I got on ortho cyclen right when I had my daughter. My dr gave me 3 samples to try out went back 3 months later it seemed like everything was fine. Now its been a year since I've been on the pill I've gained 7 pounds and still have horrible acne and crazy cravings but I think I'm going to get off it because with me trying to lose weight its impossible to lose a pound but I like itndue to me not getting pregnant"

Meg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2018

For Birth Control "First birth control I was on was the mini pill due to intense migraines. This pill was okay, gained a few pounds and started having mood swings along with a somewhat irregular period, quit because of the low success rate of the pill. Was then put on Orsythia. That was hell on earth. Had a period every 7-10 days that lasted 7-10 days. Constantly cramped. When pretty much insane. Then was put on Ortho Cyclen. I’m very happy. No weight gain, skin looks amazing, regular period. My only issues with the pill is my cramps during my period seem to have intensified, and I fall into a depression during my period. Overall, best BC I’ve tried."

Deeleedoo (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

For Birth Control "I was on Depo shot for about 8 months and I was fed up with it and decided not to get any more shots or any other birth control method due to horrible depression and 25 lbs weight gain. However, I am feeling pretty well after being 5 months off the shot and I am debating whether I should try the Pill or not. "

Help Please ? January 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I began taking generic Ortho Cyclen 5 months ago. The first month I felt the same as before I took the medication. In months two and three I had spotting, sore and swollen breasts, and I felt really bloated. I thought I should maybe switch to something else but I was encouraged by my gynecologist to stick with it because those symptoms would most likely be temporary. She was right. I feel great now. Even better, I have suffered with hormonal cystic acne since I was a teen (I’m in my 30s) and my face is nearly flawless. For the first time in my entire life, I had someone stop and ask me my skin care routine because my skin looked “so good”. All in all, I am very pleased."

BluePibbleMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I can say this really wasn't the right pill for me. I'm 20 years old and I have a one year old daughter, so I decided that I wasn't really for anymore babies and I wanted birth control. Well my insurance got cut so I went to the county because a friend said I could get free birth control. They gave me 3 months worth of this one first and after I finish the last month they want me to come back for a check up. I have had severe anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember and I was just starting to be able to manage it on my own. I'm almost done with the first week on my second pack and I have absolutely no desire to do anything anymore. It's almost too hard to get out of bed. If you have anxiety/depression be careful!"

Mercedeswhat November 4, 2017

For Birth Control "Prescribed after experiencing breakthrough bleeding on another oral contraceptive. I gave it a fair go - 4 or 5 months, and I can't seem to get adjusted. Mood swings are more severe, experienced a 10 lb weight gain, feeling considerably more anxious, extreme breast tenderness among feeling nauseated a week prior to period start date. Of course, everyone experiences this differently but that's my story. Will be discontinuing this on month end."

LLU (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2017

For Birth Control "I've been on Ortho-Tri-Cyclen for almost two years. I was put on it for acne but also to prevent pregnancy. It has cleared up my skin very much and I am not pregnant, however, in recent months something has changed. I get extremely nauseous/throw up hours after I take the pill (even if I eat before), I feel lightheaded and dizzy, sex drive has definitely decreased and I am losing weight. Pregnancy tests have come back negative so it is definitely this pill. Everyone is different but this pill has been making me so sick lately so I will be switching."

Judith29 September 26, 2017

For Birth Control "Been taking this pill for quite a few years, and never had any sort of problems on it. About a year ago, looks like they changed their inactive ingredients dramatically, adding many new chemicals to the mix, including something called Titanium dioxide.. With this new "formula" I noticed extreme weight loss (especially on face, boobs and butt), anxiety, mood swings, and just general malaise (all probably from the new preservatives they added in there). I really wish they hadn't changed it, and would reduce the amount of preservatives/chemicals they have now added to it. Gonna change to something else at next dr's appointment. And to anyone thinking of trying this new "Cyclen", I would say DON'T. Horrible experience."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 25, 2017

For Birth Control "I just started my 5th pack of Ortho Cyclen. I have never taken any other birth control pills prior to this one so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but this one has worked well for me. My boyfriend and I are sexually active and do not want any children so I decided to the pill. My first couple of months on it I did feel little different - kind of anxious and more mood swings but that went away as I continued to take the pill and my body adjusted. The positive aspects I have noticed is it protects against pregnancy, is easy to swallow, makes your skin very healthy looking (my skin is glowing after a few months of taking), and makes my periods much much lighter than they were before starting on birth control."

Hannah P. (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2017

For Endometriosis "My doctor put me on Ortho Cyclen to help with pain outside of my period caused by undiagnosed Endometriosis. It has helped so much! I haven't been in the hospital for three months, and the pain is pretty much gone. My cramps are still there but not nearly as bad as they were before. Since being on it I have noticed weight loss rather than weight gain."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2017

For Birth Control "I got on the pill to help with acne and cramps. I originally got on Sprintec, which to my understanding is the generic form of Ortho Cyclen. My pharmacy started giving me ortho cyclen because it was free with my insurance and sprintec was not. However, when I got on ortho cyclen I noticed a considerable weight gain and my acne got really really bad. It did not work well for me so I got right back on Sprintec."

KristenM5 December 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been using this birth control for 4 months now, I didn't have any side affects with this pill. My period is lighter and with inactive pills my period start after 3 pills. Before this birth control my doctor gave me a less estrogen birth control and that was my first birth control and I bleed it non stop for a month, I did not want to continue so my doctor recommend to try birth control with mid level estrogen it ortho cyclen and I highly recommend it."

Vello (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I had switched to this pill after having adverse reactions to Paragard (bled EXTREMELY heavily for all but 5 days a month, anemia, nausea, horrible cramps, etc) and Nuvaring (persistent yeast infections). I started on the tri-cyclen, then switched to just cyclen in order to skip painful periods. I gained 50-60 lbs in the year and a half that I was on this medication, had trouble with my contacts, pms-like mood swings, continued to have my periods, etc. Before I changed medication, I was feeling a sensation I could only describe as feeling like I had died and was still acting alive. I did not attribute any of these side effects until after I switched bc's and immediately saw improvement. This was the wrong pill for me, but not prego."

SkippingtheAngryAuntFlo (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 13, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on Ortho Cyclen for over two years now and it has been great for me. It controls the hormonal acne I used to get on my jaw and makes my periods light and much less painful than without it (I still get cramps the first day). Before Ortho Cyclen, I had tried a couple other brands of birth control (even Ortho Tri-Cyclen), but I had negative side effects on them. Please don't give up if you are looking for a birth control. Ortho Cyclen might not work for you, but maybe it will. It's worth a shot in my opinion."

Zaaaaa (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2016