User Reviews for Ortho Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Cyclen.

Endometriosis 2 reviews 160 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 1 reviews 162 medications

Birth Control 36 reviews 282 medications

7.6
Ovarian Cysts 2 reviews 55 medications

5.5
Summary of Ortho Cyclen reviews 41 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Ortho Cyclen

For Birth Control "Cyclen has recently changed their non-medicinal ingredients in the past year. I now experience insomnia, anxiety, and lethargy. Never had any problems before. Watch out for any new symptoms with these new chemicals in the ingredient list."

Anonymous August 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I told my physician that I had an issue with heavy bleeding and very long periods and this is what she prescribed me. I haven't been having sex so I honestly don't know if it prevents it but I can say this is the first BC that hasn't gave me super bad side affects. I get zero headaches and slight naseous and when I say slight it comes and goes on some days but never stays and nothing I can't deal with. I can say though I eat A LOT. I'm 124 and before started this BC I ate a lot anyways because hey I'm a woman that loves food! It just makes me crave foods more. I also have sore boobs but it's soreness that isn't bearable. Also, I'm very VERY emotional. I cry over shows on tv."

MegsMega (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2016

For Birth Control "First off, let me say that this birth control was effective in preventing pregnancy for me, despite many negative side effects I experienced taking this pill. I was prescribed Ortho Cyclen to lessen period cramps, abnormal bleeding, and to prevent pregnancy. I can say the mood swings involved with this pill were miserable to deal with. I felt depressed or angry 99% of the time on this pill, but I wanted to give it a long enough time to see if my hormones would regulate. Not only was I sad, irritable and experienced low libido.....but I felt restless and nauseated from the hormones. i would not recommend this pill to anyone, and that is my humble and honest opinion."

Christy22 July 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I started taking Ortho Cyclen on April 17, 2016. For the first month, I had no side effects, but after my period ended, and I started a new pack, I immediately started throwing up about 12 hours after I took the pill. I was extremely worried, so I took pregnancy tests, but they were all negative. I ended up receiving my period in May, which meant that I wasn't pregnant! After my period again, I started throwing up again, still about 12-13 hours later, but it only happened for about 3-4 days. I guess, my body just isn't used to all of the hormones since I've never been on birth control before. I just had my June period, and I threw up for one day, but other than that, everything is great! I've had some weight gain, too."

Carleigh June 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 21 years old and was on cyclen for 3 months when I was diagnosed with blood clots in my lungs (pulmonary embolism) I have since been informed that this birth control put me at a greater risk due to its higher levels of estrogen. Luckily they were caught and time and I am currently being treated for them. My symptoms started out as a aching/stabbing pain in my mid/upper back that was worse when I ate, then a few days later my breathing started to feel rather heavy. I was also coughing and burping a bit. I also had a bunch of other side effects during the course of taking this pill including: breast pain, headaches, nausea and major mood swings!! I don't normally right reviews but I would feel horrible if this happened to anyone else!!"

Flosty (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2016

For Birth Control "Ortho Cyclen made me so depressed I wanted to end it. I started it when I was young, and it was my first pill. Nobody told me how extreme the side effects can be, and I was on it for years, just thinking I was a horribly depressed person and that life wasn't worth living. If I wasn't so close with my family I really think I would have put an end to myself. Turns out they gave me the wrong prescription and had originally intended to give me Tri-Cyclen. When they switched me over (after YEARS) the depression lifted. I don't know how much it prevented pregnancy (I would imagine well) because it turns out I'm sterile anyway. *sigh* But it ruined my quality of life so badly I wish I could do it all over again. They don't warn us enough."

Wut (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I been on this birth control for 7 years now. It did it's part. For that 7 years, it never failed me and haven't got pregnant on it. The most undesirable side effect it had on me was the tremendous weight gain. I ran out of my pills 2 days ago but I decided not to get anymore because my boyfriend and I are trying to start a family."

Babygirl721 February 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on this for about 4 years. I decided to finally get off because my mood swings were getting worse. This pill caused me to become severely depressed and developed extreme social anxiety. It was effective as a birth control but the side effects aren't worth it. I've been off it for a few months and feel so much better! Not depressed anymore and anxiety is finally getting better. Be mindful of your moods of you do decide to try this."

Liz1992 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I just started my first pack and I like it so far. I have noticed some spotting but overall it's great. I was on sprentec for a while which I loved then got switched to the ortho so I'm getting use to it"

Cutie2122 November 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I have currently been on Ortho-Cyclen for a few months now and am going back to my doctor soon to see if I can be prescribed something else. The good for me: very effective when taken correctly, and light periods with bearable cramping. The bad for me: terrible mood swings, bloating, very low libido, and nausea. If I didn't take this pill before bed and after a meal, I'd be sick to my stomach. I have experienced bloating, but haven't gained any weight. The low sex drive I have experienced on this has been very bad. Overall, it's free through my insurance and didn't get me pregnant, but the negative side effects are not worth it anymore!!"

Starry8594 October 21, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been Ortho Cyclen for a little over 2 months and I'm already getting off of it. My husband and I are newlyweds, so I started taking the pill beforehand so that it would be effective by the time we were married. I was terribly nauseous for the first week or two. Like, unbelievably nauseous. I felt like I couldn't even stand up through some of it. Eventually, the nauseousness passed and if it did happen, it wasn't as horrible or frequent. I did notice immediate acne as well (I almost never break out and I had big cyst-ish looking acne on my chin, which was lame with my upcoming wedding). I had NO weight gain, but I did lose my sex drive. When I say that, I mean I really didn't feel the same at all. (1/2)"

Nadine O. October 5, 2015

For Birth Control "My first pack was a nightmare. Horrible nausea, zero sex drive & I felt so bloated all the time. After my first pack, things went smoother. I've gained about 15 lbs in the 8 months I've been on it but that may not be the pill's fault. The worst part is how this pill has changed the way my secretions smell I tried everything to change this thinking it was my diet. I'm now off the pill and everything has gone right back to normal. I will probably stay off now for this reason."

Anonymous September 19, 2015

For Ovarian Cysts "This medicine has worked pretty good for me. After having constant health problems such as weight gain, bad acne, and not having a period but once a year for 3 years and being told that it was "ok", I finally went to the OB/Gyne for another opinion. Found out that I had PCOS, and was placed on Ortho-Cyclen. This medicine started to clear my acne after 3 weeks of taking it and I started losing weight while on it. I lost a total of 6 pounds the first month and 8 the second month. The only drawback was that my period lasted for an entire 31 days the first month, but was told beforehand that it could last that long because of the time I went without a period."

Monae415 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2015

"Some pros: I grew 2 cup sizes, my flow is much lighter but no change in how long my periods last. Regular bowel movements and no mood swings. Cons: during the first pack I broke out like a preteen and now have to deal with (some) forehead and chin acne. Also experienced heavy uncomfortable cramping which eventually got better. Really sore breasts around the first week or two. I'm hungry all the time so I'm eating a lot more but no real change in weight."

Derpina (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been on it for 3 months now & I love it , period is much lighter ."

Gorllll (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2015

For Endometriosis "This drug is horrible. My side effects are: 1. Anxiety 2. Depression 3. Acne 4. Weight gain 5. Back pain 6. Nausea 7. Easily angered and upset It serves it's purpose, but the side effects are unbearable."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2015

For Birth Control "This medicine has been working really well for me. I'm on my third pack, taking it at exactly the same time every day. I had 0 side affects. My breasts did get a little bigger which was nice but I didn't gain weight anywhere else. My periods used to be irregular and painful with heavy mood swings but now my periods are very regular and I can't feel them almost at all. Really happy with the results!"

Jules35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started this medication to control bleeding. My skin is clear (I don't usually have acne anyway), my mood is fine and, even better regulated. I haven't had many side effects on this pill....just one. A big one, I had breakthrough bleeding every time I turned around. I also wear contacts and it caused some dry eye. All in all, I think its a very good pill if your cycle remains regular. My insurance paid for the medication, so it was fee."

Kelly976453 May 24, 2015

For Birth Control "Middle of 3rd month and: It as killed my appetite, definitely keeps me from overeating partly due to mild nausea when I start my pack after placebos but, even when I'm not nauseous it's hard for me to feel hungry. Not making me crazy or anything. Doesn't break me out. [never had acne anyways] The cons include the fact my period doesn't come on the placebos even though it could take longer to adjust and when it does come it's slightly before the placebos when it'd normally come and instead of a 5-7 day period like I normally have it's lasted 10-13 days... Plus worse cramps and no lighter periods at all. The long periods might make it a deal breaker if it continues but I hate to part with it because it has been so good to me other than that!"

a-punk (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2015

For Birth Control "When I first started taking this pill I had severe nausea when I would start a pack. Now my nausea is gone and I get occasional migraines. I've almost been on it for a year and I do like it a lot. Great for preventing pregnancy also causes breast tenderness towards end of pack."

Michimucho March 18, 2015

For Birth Control "Ortho-Cyclen has worked incredibly well for me. It was the first pill I tried and I took it for about a year. When my prescription ran out I went to Planned Parenthood and was recommended Aubra, which did not work out for me, I had constant spotting, it significantly decreased my libido, and made me gain about 10 lbs. I have since switched back Ortho-Cyclen and have had no noticeable side effects other than my breasts growing by about a cup size."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2015

For Birth Control "Works as far as preventing pregnancy, shorter, on schedule periods, REALLY good for preventing acne, but HORRIBLE for weight gain. I literally gained almost 20 pounds when I started taking this. And a lot of people say it's because it makes you feel hungry more often so you eat more but I've had zero change in my diet so it must be something in the hormones. I've only been off this birth control for a week and a half and I've dropped 9 pounds."

Nicole9319 November 12, 2014

For Endometriosis "I have only been on this for a few weeks after switching from Lo loestrin. So far no mood changes which has been great because that was one of my biggest issues! No cramping or abnormal bleeding. So far I am extremely pleased with Ortho Cyclen."

HALEYjo4578 October 28, 2014

For Birth Control "Took this all throughout high school and I never experienced acne because of it. This pill sure does a great job at keeping break outs away. I'd get an occasional blemish or two but that's better than what I have now. I got off Ortho Cyclen 6 months ago. Worst decision of my life, I'm cursed with acne that's covered my face, neck, shoulders, and back. This is because a hormonal imbalance which I think acne sufferers should look into. I think it's time to get back on this magnificent pill. Side note, it does a great job at preventing cramps and my periods were so light and non existent, I would sometimes forget I'm even on it."

KylieShae (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 7, 2014

For Birth Control "I've been on Ortho Cyclen for 17 years for oral contraceptive reasons and it is working wonderful! No side effect. Although I tried to take the generic to offset some cost but I had terrible breakthrough bleeding. I quickly switched back to name brand and was cured! So I'm still on brand name Ortho Cyclen with no problems at all. Quite happy!"

LL --taken for 17years so far!! March 7, 2014