User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate to treat Birth Control

Also known as: Sprintec, Estarylla, Tri-Sprintec, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Mili, Mono-Linyah, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri Femynor, Femynor, Tri-Previfem, Previfem, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Mili, Tri-Linyah Tri-VyLibra VyLibra Tri-Vylibra Lo Tri-Mili Nymyo Tri-Nymyo …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 3873 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 36% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 278 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Steph February 14, 2021

Mili (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “First- I would like to say that this is the first time I've ever been on BC. I'm 25 years old and I'm in a serious, committed relationship. I've been looking at these reviews on the BC pill Mili, a pill that I was prescribed That I'm taking for my irregular period, cramps and heavy periods- I do not struggle with acne, never did. While reading the comments, it appears to me that a majority have previously taken another form, or at least a type of BC pill before starting Mili. More often than not, your body will go whack because of the new hormones you are introducing, not to mention some other forms of BC may not mix well after your body has been regulated on a different pill for a while. So, keep that in mind. I just started taking Mili. Overall, I'm not experiencing anything major like: headache, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, breakouts, etc... Do not let other's reviews scare you. No one said that taking BC was going to ever be a 5 star experience.”

Cd · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Hi! Im 20 and started early January. I read the reviews on here and became TERRIFIED. But I did it anyway just because I wanted to experience it myself. I love it! This is my first time ever taking birth control and EVERYONE is different. The only side effect I get is diarrhea or gasses in my stomach every now and then and they aren’t really big symptoms. I don't get cramps and I don't get nauseated which I was scared of getting. My husband and I have regular sex almost daily. My acne has cleared up and I don’t really get moody either. The only time I recall is I felt sad one time. I have experienced and went through postpartum depression the first 3 months with my now 6 month old. So again. TRY IT because you’ll never know. Most people review because they had a bad experience. Never when they have a good.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Hi! So I started sprintec about 6 months ago to help clear up acne and it worked. I was freaking out because I didn’t want to gain weight, but I really wanted to clear up my acne. The first two months were difficult. I was nauseous often (especially at night). I was very hungry the first month but I got back to normal hunger levels after that. I gained some weight, mostly in my boobs. I would definitely say if you are hesitant about going on Sprintec for the weight gain, do not let that hold you back. Your body will normalize after a few weeks I promise. Trust me I did not want to gain weight, I have had an eating disorder in the past, but it is worth it. My skin is so clear now. Do not let the weight gain hold you back!”

A December 14, 2020

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I've been taking Sprintec for 3 months now and I have had no issues with it, besides from very mild break outs on my chin. I did notice more clotting during my period and occasionally watery discharge, but nothing problematic, these are just some slight changes I have noticed. I had never been on birth control before and after reading these reviews I was so nervous. I recommend trying it, keep in mind everyone reacts different and people are more likely to write reviews about bad experiences not good, especially with something like this! Hope it works for you too!”

CoolMagneta · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2021

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Honestly I’ve been on this for about a month an a half now and my skin is super clear, my period is a tad off but I’ve also LOST weight!!! I was super worried about taking it with all of the reviews, so don’t knock it till you try it!”

C · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2021

Mili (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I've taken Sprintec for YEARS and have never had any side effects. My pharmacy was out of Sprintec, gave me Mili without telling me and I feel absolutely HORRIBLE after taking it for 1 week. I started spotting, cramping, feeling dizzy and exhausted. DO NOT TAKE THIS BIRTH CONTROL!”

14 April 21, 2021

Mili (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “It seems like most of the negative reviews are from people that switched to Mili from Sprintec. This is the first form of birth control I’ve ever been on and I have no side effects. I’ve been taking Mili for almost 4 months and my periods are regular, no acne, no weight gain etc. I recommend Mili for people that are taking birth control for the first time or that haven’t been on birth control for awhile. I’ve heard coming off birth control is a process (even if switching to another form) and it seems like Mili is being prescribed in an emergency situation since there is a shortage of Sprintec which could be causing people’s hormones to go out of whack. The only negative thing I have to say is that the pills are very small and it is easy to drop them when taking them out of the pack. That’s the only thing holding me back from giving a 10/10.”

Amanda December 23, 2019

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I've been taking this (Sprintec) for over a year now & have highly considered getting off of it. I've noticed weight loss (15-25 lbs because my weight has always fluctuated), but my rage has been out of control. My boyfriend says I am not myself. It has almost jeopardized us several times. I get uncontrollable mood swings, high anxiety/anxiety attacks, & sometimes I just want to break down and cry for no reason. When I first started taking it, I could not focus at all for my job, & I even struggled completing my sentences. I want to have time off of it just to see it it makes me feel better. Everyone around me always talks about how positive of a person I am, but this stuff has turned me into someone so negative I can't even recognize myself. I was wondering what could be going wrong, but have been researching everyone else's experience I am pretty certain this is the common denominator. I usually don't do reviews, but want anyone experiencing the same side effects to know they're not alone”

Mia · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I don’t understand why there are so many bad reviews on this birth control... I am SUPER sensitive to medication and the only side effect I got from this medication was sweating a lot , increased appetite and my boobs got fuller. Everyone’s body reacts differently so please don’t be afraid to try this medication ! It’s a life saver for me !”

Girl22 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2021

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was on Sprintec for 9 months before I was randomly switched to Estarylla. I had zero issues with Sprintec. After renewing my prescription, my pharmacist gave me Estarylla instead of Sprintec and assured me that this is the same thing just with a different name. It took me two months of taking Estarylla to realize that my body was not adjusting to these pills. They might be similar to Sprintec, but something is different enough for my body to experience all kinds of side effects I didn’t experience before. My anxiety increased significantly and I have been experiencing a lot of anger and agitation. My skin and hair is extremely oily each day, I am painfully bloated after eating, my stomach is almost always upset, and I have gained weight despite a loss of appetite. So far it has done its job in preventing pregnancy, but it has also caused my sex drive to decrease. Estarylla is great for some people and everyone is different, but it’s definitely not “the same” as Sprintec.”

VitaMN_C March 10, 2020

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was o Ortho-Tri-Cyclen previously without issue, but it's been discontinued. Tri-Sprintec is the closest equivalent generic. Let me tell you... it's positively changed my life. I no longer deal with monthly hormonal imbalance/fluctuation(s) (i.e. mood swings), extremely painful periods, or reoccurring ovarian cysts. I didn't break out in acne; my skin has been super clear throughout--not even a transition period where I broke out. My hair has gotten thicker, my boobs have grown at least a cup size, and I've got a nice curvy booty again (all of these are very welcomed). I've loved the additional 5lb weight gain. It's also decreased chronic joint pain I had/have due to other health conditions. Additionally, Tri-Sprintec has improved my mood and sense of wellbeing, while lowering anxiety. I feel like myself again for the first time in years -- no antidepressant or anxiety med has done what this birth control has for me. Best. birth. control. ever.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 15, 2020

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “DO NOT TAKE THIS!! I have been trying to figure out what was wrong with me for over a year. Never once did it occur that it was the birth control I am taking, but I finally came to the realization. I never had these issues prior to taking this pill. I have developed anxiety, depression, my joy for life is gone, I have absolutely no sex drive, its like there is a dark cloud over me, I am unmotivated and tired, the list goes on. I'll take acne and painful periods any day over what I have experienced over these last few years because of this pill. I wish I had known this before I started. I was young and had no clue. Was very uninformed. I hope this helps someone else. Do not do it. It is not worth it at all!”

Izzy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 25, 2021

Tri-Lo-Marzia (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Tri Lo Mariza was the first birth control I had ever been on. I took it pretty irresponsibly the first few months I was on it, but the last three months of taking it, I was very serious about it. I did notice some changes with my mood, nothing too serious, but definitely random fits of crying. The pill had no effect on my weight, skin, but my period was definitely regulated, cramps were still very bad, but my period ended within 5 days. I was forced to change to Tri Lo Sprintec, but for a first birth control, I really didn't mind Tri Lo Marzia. It was completely effective in eliminating pregnancy when used properly. Don't stress yourself out reading these reviews which was a mistake I made. Everyone's body is different and the only real way to know what side effects you'll experience is if you take it.”

Jan · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2021

Mili (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was switched to Milli by my dr who assured me it was the same as my Sprintec I was on for years. It is not the same at all. Horrible cystic acne emerged which I haven't had in 20 years with terrible stomach cramping and upset with bloating. Miserable. Luckily I had an old pack of Sprintec left and took that instead. Within 2 days I am feeling like my old self. Hopefully I can get more. Milli is NOT the same as Sprintec. Something is off. I don't care what the pharmacy or dr says, it is different.”

Liv · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

Mono-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was so scared to start taking this pill because I came on here and read all the negative reviews. But what you have to remember is that everyone's body is different and will react differently on this medication. For me, I have not had any changes whatsoever. I am still completely the same person I was before I started taking mono-linyah. No mood swings, cravings, bleeding, depression, or anything negative like that. If you are about to start this medication and are worried after seeing all the terrible reviews, just remember I was scared to take it too and I couldn't be happier with it. I have nothing bad to say about it! Just remember everyone is different and if you have a negative reaction to it there are plenty of other options to try!”

Yes!Yes!Yes! November 21, 2020

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Hello ladies! I read another review on this specific birth control, and it said that most times people go into extreme reviewing because of a bad experience. I've never taken birth control and I was terrified to try such a high dosage with more bad reviews than good. I have NOT experienced ANY side effects. I have actually been more energetic, I used to have terrible morning sickness and it's went away completely. No more heavy cramps!! I have more of a sex drive than I ever have had before. I'm horny so much more. The first time I orgasmed taking this pill I had the most cosmic orgasm I have ever had. LADIES!! Try this, and even though I've been on it only a week, I would have had the worst of it by now because of my body never have taken a to birth control. Much love girls, and if you want a happy and healthy sex life with zero side effects, CHOOSE ESTARYLLA!”

Anonymous July 30, 2010

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was extremely skeptical about trying Sprintec after reading the numerous online comments about it. However, I was forced to switch to it for financial reasons. However, after several months of using Sprintec, I have not experienced one single negative side effect. In fact, it has improved my periods tremendously! I get no cramps, very little bloating, a very light period that only lasts 2-3 days, and no mood changes. I love it so far! Don't be deterred by the negative reviews out there...each birth control affects each person differently. If you haven't had problems with the pill in the past, then maybe you won't with this one (like me).”

Rita June 1, 2020

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I’m 21 years old. I gained 15 pounds in 3 months while on sprintec. My sex drive went way down to the point where I just wouldn’t enjoy sex anymore. I couldn’t naturally get wet anymore so it was painful when we would have sex, so we had to start using lube. Worst thing was that it messed with me mentally, I would have the worst mood swings and I was very depressed and I was very irrational and frustrated. My boyfriend is the one who talked to me and asked what was going on with me and I just completely broke down crying trying to explain that I had no idea what was wrong with me and that I just didn’t feel like my self, he told me it could be my birth control and just then it clicked in my head, like duh, of course it is. So I immediately stopped taking it. This is 2 months later that I’m writing this and I feel %100 better! I’ve lost 10 pounds and I finally feel like myself again!!!”

Lynn September 6, 2020

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Okay so I had to put a review for this pill just to offer some relief for other girls. In my experience I had taken this pill before my period and read that you could only be protected if you started EXACTLY on your first day of your period. Yeah it sounded stupid at the time but basically if you take it 5 days in a row you're protected. It was my first time taking birth control and was using it to have sex with my partner. I've had a lot of unprotected sex with my boyfriend so the pill really works but it's very easy to get sloppy or lazy taking the pill which has resulted in 2 pregnancy scares. Now I'm more careful because I'm a uni student and still want my freedom. It very important to really consider having unprotected sex because it can change your life in an instant. The best time to take this pill is in the evening because you'll avoid the nausea while sleeping in my experience. The bloating can get really bad sometimes so that's annoying. As far as boob pain, it's mild.”

reviewer559 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2019

Mili (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was prescribed this birth control for my acne. When it was prescribed, I was terrified after seeing the negative reviews for this brand. However, I remained positive because most people generally review items when they hate them. Plus, everyone’s body is different and just because someone got a certain side effect doesn’t mean I’m guaranteed to get it. When I picked up my birth control, the main symptom that I was told I would experience is spotting. I’ve been using Mili for about 3 months and have not experienced any side effect at all!! Nothing has changed except that my acne is so much better! Overall, give it a chance!”

kels · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2021

Mili (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “i HATE this. Apparently Sprintec is on a nationwide shortage. I've been taking this for about 3 months. I'm bloated all the time, I began to think I was pregnant. I feel so hungry and tired and have the worst stomach cramps. My headaches are sometimes unbearable. I figured it wouldn’t be any different than Sprintec... but I hate it.”

Kem · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 15, 2021

Mili (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I started taking Mili because my insurance no longer pays for sprintec. I was worried reading these reviews, but after a month I've had none of the negative side effects. My moods are intact, less breakouts, no sugar cravings except for the first day of menstruation (usually the week before and of my period). The only thing that changed was my flow. It was way heavier than I'm used to on the first day. The second day? Almost nonexistent. I'm very happy with the change.”

Kat · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 2, 2020

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have been on Sprintec since 2015. I had maybe 5 lbs of weight gain (first semester of college lol so there's that to consider too!) I have never had a single issue with Sprintec. I take it between 9-12 at night and only miss a dose once or twice a year - it happens! This does affect effectiveness (but if taken in 24 hours - that's rare) and it helped me regulate periods, they don't last over 6 days with minimal bleeding. My pharmacy switched and I got on Monolinyah?.. it SUCKS worst mistake ever. I'm switching back to Sprintec tomorrow and I cannot wait . I recommend this to anyone! Don't want a period that month? skip the placebo pills... And this is only $9.00 if you don't have insurance - too expensive? well... so is a kid haha!”

Eliza · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was on the Xulane patch for a couple months and my period never regulated. I was also very sad and tired on Xulane (to the point where my family started to notice changes) I switched to Tri-Sprintec one month after stopping Xulane. I did have some side effects when starting the medicine eg. nausea & fatigue. Overall, I really love this birth control. So far, I’m not pregnant. Remember, everyone can experience different side effects! Don’t let these reviews scare you. Give your body a chance!”

MadintheRoc August 7, 2009

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “You know, I have to say that reading most these reviews scared me but I went ahead and took Tri-Sprintec anyway after being automatically switched from Tri-Cyclen Lo and I am not experiencing any side effects. I don't even notice a difference so my advice to other people is to try it out and not base your opinion on these reviews because each women's body will react differently to any prescription medicine and you will never know if it's a fit for you until you give it a try.”