User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Also known as: Sprintec, Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Tri-Sprintec, Mili, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri Femynor, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Mili, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Femynor, Previfem, Tri-VyLibra VyLibra Tri-Vylibra Lo Tri-Mili Nymyo Tri-Nymyo …show all brand names

Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate has an average rating of 4.2 out of 10 from a total of 389 ratings for the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding. 25% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 55% reported a negative effect.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

4.2/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2021

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I took Sprintec for 7 months and after seeing these reviews after a MONTH of bleeding (brown blood for the most part ) I am quitting this pill - my gyn tells me to keep taking but I refuse when this could risk my health. It hurts my vision, gives me cramps, induces nausea, and I'm hoping quitting will calm down my bleeding and reset my normal menstrual cycle. This will probably be the last birth control I ever take. For all the ladies wondering when the madness ends after quitting- I'll keep in touch and refresh this review when it stops and let you guys in on my quitting journey.”

Welder girl 19 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2019

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “This pill worked perfect for me for the first month. Now it’s nothing up bleeding constantly and I’ve been on it for about 6 months. So basically 5 months of bleeding because of this pill and blood during intercourse when I get a day break from the bleeding. DO NOT RECOMMEND!”

Beo95 January 7, 2021

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Everything seemed fine in the first few weeks of taking the pill and then right before starting my second pack, I started bleeding heavily and having the most awful cramps. It was like I was 13 years old all over again (keep in mind, I’m 25). So now I’m almost finished with my second pack and I’ve been bleeding heavily for like 2 1/2 weeks now. This birth control sucks. I do not recommend. I’m switching to another one as soon as I can.”

still-technically-a-teenager · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 1, 2020

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Pretty great. I have PCOS and my bleeding that could last anywhere from 2 days to 50 days. Turns out I had really high testosterone and not enough estrogen. On Sprintec, I'm at a normal 7-day period, which is a significant upgrade. No visible side effects at all except gradual weight loss. Yeah weight loss! I'm the Sprintec user everyone's jealous of. No idea how effective it is at preventing pregnancy. Haven't tried it.”

Dixie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 20, 2019

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “When I was reading these other reviews, they made me so scared I almost didn't take this pill. Don't let them scare you. I have had a great experience so far. I was originally on Tri-Lo-Marzia but I started spotting out of nowhere for a few months, so my doctor switched me to a pill with a higher dose (Estarylla). My spotting went away within the first 4 days of the new pill and it hasn't come back. I've had no weight gain, some moodiness when I was adjusting and my skin has majorly cleared up. Also, my other pill made me super anxious around the time I started spotting and Estarylla has really helped me feel calmer. So, just remember that everyone's body is different so if you don't try the medication you won't know how it effects you. Don't be scared of Estarylla!”

Anonymous October 19, 2011

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was put on this pill to regulate my period but I was on my period when the doctor gave it to me. I have not stopped bleeding for 3 weeks straight. I started the pill a week ago and I find it gets worse the cramps the bleeding and blood clots. I'm emotionally drained and tired all the time and feel sick. I've been on a birth control to stop bleeding before and it worked within 2 to 3 days. I don't know when I'm going to stop bleeding hopefully soon. I'm getting so tired of it. I just want to feel normal again.”

sky · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2021

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “SPRINTEC this is the worst birth control ever. At first I really liked it because this was my first experience with birth control. Until month two hit. Oh boy I was bleeding for a month straight. HORRIBLE. I wasn't even on my placebo week and I bled everywhere with HUGE blood clots. Not to mention when I wasn’t bleeding I was still experiencing the worst cramps ever. After 8 hours of taking it I would be so unbelievably nauseous. Don’t get me wrong it worked for one of my friends but NOT for me.”

Dev April 14, 2021

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I was on this for 2 years, stopped it because I had been broken up with (didn't want babies) I no longer had a need for it. After stopping this I ended up bleeding for 2 weeks at a time, once a month I had 1 week where I wasn't on my period & I would soak an overnight pad in less then an hour. I had extreme cramps, skipped uni because I would have to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes to change my tampon& pad. I had fainting spells, sleeping in school because I couldn't stay awake I came home from school at 4, slept until the next morning everyday (due to the amount of blood loss). This birth control permanently ruined my natural mental cycle. I NEVER had this problem. I could not include the rest of my experience bc only 1000 characters are allowed, I ended up in the hospital for 4 days, 2 blood transfusions and heart failure. There was also cystic hormonal acne, suicidal thoughts and depression. I can't stop it now, or else I would end up risking my life again because it permanently messed up my reproductive organs....”

L.A.bubbles · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2019

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I started out with Sprintec and everything was fine unless I missed a dose. I got switched to Estarylla and I’ve been bleeding for 4-5 months now. When I first started the Estarylla, I wasn’t bleeding then after awhile I just started bleeding everyday, NONSTOP.”

Kk · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2020

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I’ve been on birth control pills for the last 10 years and never once experienced break through bleeding until switching to Estarylla 3 months ago (I had been using Spintec for the majority). I’m now on my 9th week of non-stop bleeding. My mood swings and depression haven’t been this bad in years. I’m going to my doctor next week to talk about getting a different kind of birth control all together (probably an IUD) because this experience has been rather traumatic for both my body and mental health. Please stay away from this brand of birth control pills.”

leo · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2020

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I started taking these Tri-sprintec and I hate them I'm going to stop today I haven't stopped bleeding really heavily for more then 7 days now and I have so many blood clots that are huge too not to mention my cramps are worser then they were without birth control.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2019

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “UPDATE: My Dr called me back on 12/17/19 & told me to continue taking the pill bc the bleeding is normal and will eventually stop. She also recommended to take 1 ibuprofen a day to help with the bleeding. It didn't immediately stop it but I did notice that each day I had less & less bleeding. It is now Dec. 30th & I have not bled since Dec. 24th, Thank goodness. So I will continue this pill. Other than the bleeding, I didn't experience any adverse reactions. I freaked out because I didn't know to expect bleeding. I am supposed to have my menstrual cycle this week (yes sucks that I finally got relief from bleeding, just to expect my period in a couple of days lol). So we'll see how painful my period is this time around, because that's the reason why I am taking this pill... Take care of yourselves ladies❣”

Raspberry0987 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 18, 2020

Tri-Lo-Marzia (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Don’t miss a pill when on TRi-Lo-Marzia. I swear if I miss a pill or take it too late I’ll be spotting freaky looking black clots and discharge until week 4 when I get my period where the gates go from just a crack to wide-hecking-open. But if I do everything right it is a GODSEND. Severe cramps gone, no more mood swings, and a WAY MORE regular cycle. So yeah set an alarm on your phone or something to take it and it’ll be fine.”

Brit · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 22, 2019

Tri-Lo-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I started this pill about a month and a half ago after being severely irregular (periods would sometimes be six months apart) and the worst hormonal cystic acne I’ve ever had. My doctor ran some blood tests and found that my hormones were out of whack. Despite the reviews for this pill, I haven’t experienced any side affects. My acne cleared up (FINALLY OMG), my periods are regular and less crampy, etc. I’m making sure to stick to a diet as I saw there is a potential for weight gain, I’ve lost 4 pounds. The only negative things I can say is 1. It made my boobs grow about a cup size and 2. Occasional light headaches. I would still recommend this pill.”

Rosie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2020

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Third month of Tri Sprintec for heavy periods and I have not had very much side effects other than a bit of breast tenderness that went away after a month, My periods have gotten significantly better and I have been complimented on my skin after years and years of acne (I’m 39) it’s been kinda nice to compliments on my skin. Everyone is different and don’t let another’s experience keep you from trying something new, you never know if it’s going to be right for you.”

N · Taken for less than 1 month September 23, 2018

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I don’t really do this (write comments) but since I went through hell...I thought I’d share my experience. On my 3rd week of the pill, I started heavy bleeding and thought...OK this could be breakthrough bleeding. But I began bleeding heavy - clots big as my palm. I became short of breath & felt a shock through my body & felt dizzy. I was going in circles. I got an appointment with OB/GYN right away. DR did an exam, everything was ok but my pulse was 180!! He sent me to the ER. They put me on IV fluids, exams, tons of blood work, & at the end I received 2 bags of blood. They ruled it was the BC that got everything so wacky D/T all my labs & exams were ok. They advise NOT to take again. I'm on meds now to help stop the bleeding & will have a follow up with OB/GYN. I understand that the outcome of the med is different for everyone. Reason I took this BC was to regulate my periods. I would have heavy periods but never this heavy. I hope this helps anyone looking into taking a BC.”

Jhen July 18, 2019

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have always suffered from heavy bleeding since I was 16 and now I’m 39. I was put on Mirena IUD but had to have it replaced since it fell out twice. Was put on Sprintec about 8 months ago and have been spotting nonstop straight like a stuck pig in a butcher shop ever since. There have been times where I have had to change my Super + tampon and over night pad all at once with in 15mins because I bled so bad and almost fainted. I also have fibroids I have not been able to keep my appointments with my gynecologist and have to keep canceling my ultrasound/consultation for an hysterectomy due to the bleeding. And on top of this my new doctor said I should never have been put on Sprintec in the first place due to my high blood pressure. I hope this helps someone because I came here crying and fed up because I have no one else to relate to. Good luck ladies! ”

tlin13 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 7, 2013

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “My doc prescribed Sprintec and said to use with the 'skip method' where I skip inactive pills for a few months and only getting 4 periods a year. Sprintec gave me horrible mood swings and anxiety attacks during the first few months. I was a nervous wreck and my husband hated me. I hated myself. After that it was good for a while. But now I've been spotting on and off for 3 weeks with cramping and with times of heavier bleeding. My sex life also is non-existent.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2020

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Started on the Tri-Sprintec pill to treat my endometriosis. I need to stop having my period. In order for my endometriosis to stop growing and stretching out to my other organs. I just finished LUPRON which was not that great and now I'm on the pill and haven't stopped bleeding. 10 days and still with a heavy flow ... in so much pain right now”

Star November 5, 2019

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I’ve been on this Sprintec birth control since May. Completely horrible. Breakthrough bleeding all the time and recently my doctor told me to skip my placebo (which I’ve done once before and bled for 6 weeks because of it) well I spotted the first week I skipped but now I’ve been on my period for 12 days. Wondering when it will stop. I’m done taking this medication”

xAcidKatt · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2019

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I have done NOTHING but bleed while on the Sprintec Pill. I have bled, and bled, and bled, to the point where I needed to use Bladder Leakage pants to help with the bleeding, as I would go through Pads and tampons like CRAZY. I used a whole box of a 18 tampons in ONE day. (Super AND regular) they were both DRIPPING. (Tmi, I know) Honestly, This is the WORST medicine I have EVER taken for Birth control. Would NOT recommend to ANYONE. I don't even take the Sugar Pills!”

Amcky4 · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 5, 2019

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I’ve been on Sprintec for about 6 years now and I would never choose anything different. I’ve been on 4 different types of the pill previously and this one works wonderfully for me. My breasts did grow a whole cup, my periods are short and regular, and I haven’t had acne my whole adult life because of sprintec. No more mood swings either! Kinda sad when I’m going to have to go off of it eventually!”

Nat · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2019

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I started this birth control 3 weeks ago & I have been bleeding EVERY SINGLE DAY since! My mood swings are horrible, lets just say I'M DONE! I refuse to wait it out, switching to another method asap! Would not recommend!”

jls_14 December 22, 2015

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “Sprintec sucks!!! The reason I got on the pill was so I can have sex and not get pregnant!! Well, it works because I can't have sex because I won't stop bleeding!!! I first started taking the pill in October, all was well. When I started taking the placebos, I started my period and it lasted for two weeks. It finally ended. I decided the next time to skip the placebos so I wouldn't bleed for two weeks. Well, I started to bleed anyways, and I've now been bleeding for probably close to a month now. It hasn't really helped with acne or anything either. IDK whether to continue to take the pill and hope for the best or stop taking it and maybe my bleeding will stop??? Ugh!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2019

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): “I started taking Sprintec the 1st day of my period and stopped the 5th day once I realized I was still bleeding heavily! Today is day 8 and I’m still on my period. Worst birth control ever! Anyone know what i should do?”

Learn more about Abnormal Uterine Bleeding