User Reviews for Ortho-Novum 1 / 35

Birth Control
5.9

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Ortho-Novum 1 / 35

Smith · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 9, 2020

For Birth Control: “I had started taking ortho novum in 2011-2015. I felt extremely nauseous when I first started taking it but that subsided. It was great while I was on it. Clear skin, light periods and no bad side effects. When I got off it to try to start a family my periods had become irregular and was unable to get pregnant for two years and was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 24. I was in shock. I do believe this pill caused my infertility issues. When I did get pregnant two years later I was able to get pregnant again in less than a year so I no longer had PCOS and my periods were regular. I would not recommend taking this if you want to have kids in the future. It may cause infertility issues afterwards like in my case.”

Nobaby7632 October 18, 2019

For Birth Control: “I was 17 years old when I asked my Mom to put me on the pill. I was prescribed Ortho Novum 1/28. When I turned 23 I lost my dad's insurance and within 6 months I was pregnant. I was in no condition to be a mother so I decided to end the pregnancy. I then got re-prescribed Ortho Novum 1/28 When I was about 27 I started to bleed a lot. It continued that for years. I got married at 30 and tried to get pregnant. We tried for 6 years with hormones, artificial insemination, the whole gamut. I had huge fibroid tumors and had seven surgeries to remove them. Nothing worked. Finally at 37 I had emergency surgery for a full hysterectomy. I believe that taking Ortho Novum 1/28 for years caused my infertility and years of bleeding, physical pain and emotional pain. All between 1988- 2007. I'm really interested in who experienced similar situations.”

Lee · Taken for 10 years or more December 24, 2019

For Birth Control: “I started Otho-Novum 1/35 (ON1/35) when I was 15 yrs to regulate my periods and reduce bleeding (was bleeding for 2 weeks before the pill) this worked to do both. I had no cramping and it almost stopped my bleeding completely. Now years later I tried to get pregnant. I've tried horomones, ovulation tracking, IUI and nothing works. This pill stops the release of eggs. My issues now are no egg production and the ones I have are not released. I would suggest menstrual cups to anyone looking to regulate period flow/days bleeding and anything other then a hormone treatment to control pregnancy, acne, and moods...that is if you want a family some day.”

Confidence&Strength May 11, 2015

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: “I have had no bad side affects with this pill. I take it in conjunction with spirolactone and metformin for PCOS. The combination has helped in regulating my periods and reducing hair growth on my chin are. If I miss a few days and have to double up on pills my body definitely can feel the overload of hormones. My periods are very light and for about 2-3 days which my doctor said happens with this pill. My sex drive is definitely heighten with this birth control! To avoid a delay in starting a new pack with mailing/ordering delays. I asked my doctor to receive more packs at once. It's avoided issues with break through bleeding and original PCOS symptoms from getting out of control!”

clarka January 26, 2009

For Birth Control: “I loved this birth control pill! I knew what day I would get my period and even what time. Every other birth control pill I would constantly spot and with this one I didn't. The one draw back about this pill is every month when starting a new pack, I would be very nauseous for about 3-4 days(usually just in the morning).”

Anonymous October 25, 2012

For Birth Control: “At first the pill was great, helped with the bleeding and regulate my period. Then I slowly began getting depressed and I had to stop taking this pill. I've never felt this way in my life, I just want to lay in bed all day. I miss school and work; not healthy, totally not like me.”

lexi909 October 27, 2015

For Acne: “I've been on this pill for 2 months and have seen decent acne results. Now it hasn't cleared up completely and I still get pimples. Be aware if you have scarring, it will get worse before it gets better. I'll probably switch to Ortho Cyclen after month 3 if the acne isn't completely gone. The top ones I would recommend you for acne: 1. Yasmin, 2. Ortho Cyclen 3. Diane 35. Hope this helps anyone with hormonal acne/ has had it since high school like me and is now in her junior year of college.”

lexis909 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2015

For Birth Control: “When I first got on this pill, it was so great because I hardly had any side effects. Then...I started having them. My boobs hurt and I got cramps. I definitely also noticed increased appetite. However, it completely took away my periods which I LOVE! And now I'm in month two and my stomach and boobs only hurt occasionally. I'm hoping it will get even better from here but I really like this pill as a BC.”

Sunpassions November 16, 2009

For Birth Control: “After trying a million birth controls, I finally stayed on this one for a while. No weight gain. I was emotional and depressed around my period. And have a great sex drive. The only problem I am having now is acne. It gets worse around my period. I am switching today. I love this birth control. Wish I didn't have to switch, but I hate breakouts!”

Anonymous May 5, 2011

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: “Since I cannot choose more than one option for condition, I will post both reasons here: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Birth Control. I first started with two other different brands of birth control before getting on Ortho Novum 1/35. The other two brands make me extremely moody and my periods were out of control. Once I got started on Ortho Novum 1/35, my periods started evening out, lasting 3 - 5 days out of the entire placebo week. The only downside I've noticed was a little bit of weight gain and vaginal dryness during intercourse. I'm not overly moody or irritable and I can actually do activities that would leave me curled up on the couch.”

Liz116 January 5, 2014

For Acne: “Reduced acne significantly and skin is now clear after 3 months of use”

AshleyHi November 7, 2015

For Birth Control: “So I just switched to this method of bc from my old one Reclipsen and I must say it is excellent!!!! I'M losing weight I have 0 appetite I eat occasionally not too much snacking ”

More about Ortho-Novum 1 / 35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone)

Other brands
Junel Fe 1/20, Lo Loestrin Fe, Loestrin 21 1/20, Microgestin Fe 1/20, ... +43 more

Professional resources