User Reviews for Junel Fe 1.5 / 30

Birth Control
4.8

Summary of Junel Fe 1.5/30 reviews 4.6 65 reviews

Reviews for Junel Fe 1.5/30

For Birth Control "I'm not exaggerating when I say this pill has ruined my life. I was switched from Microgestin because I was experiencing break through bleeding. I have been on Junel for about a year now, and a few months after starting, I became very ill. My digestive system is a wreck, I'm constantly fatigued, and I developed orthostatic hypotension. I also have not had my period in literal months. I'm seeing my Dr. soon, to be taken off this evil pill. The only good thing I can say about it is that I'm definitely not pregnant!"

SocalSad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2019

For Birth Control "I guess this BC is definitely doing what it's supposed to, I was taking it primarily for my irregular periods and ovarian cysts, so it seems to be helping with that. My OB-GYN switched me to this from Taytulla, but ever since I've been on Junel, I have had anxiety and depression that had been slowly getting worse, and having pretty bad mood swings. I was convinced everything was going to go wrong and was stressed about things I had no reason to. Didn't have this experience on Taytulla, so I've definitely not taking Junel anymore."

gg8898 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2019

For Birth Control "This is gonna to be long but useful. I use to be on lo loestrin and switched to junel 1.5/3.0 about 2.5 years ago. Before that for 6 months I tried June last 1.0/3.0 but it was ineffective. Recently I had an issue where I couldn’t get into my gyno for another prescription and they wouldn’t send me one till I was seen (next appointment was 2 Months). I went two months without my birth control and my mood was better, my acne disappeared (been struggling with it ever since I was in BC), I’m more awake, and I have less mood swings. Within this past week I just started taking junel 1.5 again and my face broke out within two days all around the mouth area, bumps all over my forehead, oily skin, and I’m extremely irritable. I am 100% stopping this birth control and may not even go back to one. I am disappointed that it took me over 2.5 years to have clear skin again and not realize the cause to my irritability, mood swings, and anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 6, 2019

For Birth Control "I have been on birth control for 8 years now and in January of 2018 my doctors switched me to Junel Fe 1.5/30. It was effective with my periods being lighter and my acne going away but over the 7 months I was severely depressed for no reason which has never happened to me. I was so moody and stressed all the time! I also lost SOOO much hair. I had tried everything to fix my hair falling out from shampoos to getting my blood tested to see if I had any issues and nothing work! It never occurred to me that it could have been my birth control since all the other ones have never done this to me. Turns out it was. After my family doctor suggested it probably was hormonal issues and it might have been the Junel, I stopped cold turkey. It has been about 5 months since I’ve stopped and my hair is starting to come back but I will NEVER use Junel again! Whatever was in it messed my hormones up so bad!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 3, 2019

For Birth Control "Am i pregnant? No. Do I hate my body? Yes. I haven't stopped taking this birth control yet but boy, I am READY to stop. I'm solely taking it until I can get an appointment with my doctor and switch to something else and am trying not to get pregnant in the meantime. I went on Junel and in the beginning it seemed fine, but I got acne out the wazoo in my jaw area and started getting cystic acne around my face that HURT. I gained probably 5-10 pounds as well and my nausea was so unbelievably horrendous, I had to resort to leftover zofran I had from a prior stomach flu. I went off of it for a couple months and tried sprintec but I had a full on period in the middle of the pack and bled so much it was unreal, so I went back on Junel in an effort to get that under control and have needed to switch to something new ever since. This was the first bc I've been on birth control ever so I know I still need some trial and error and I'll be looking into something new"

jay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I took this for around 6 months and I'm not pregnant yet. I'm moving to a different pill because it mainly caused some depression and weird mood swings. I didn't see a change in my weight and my skin did clear slightly. My breasts grew about a cup. It's an effective pill, just not for me because of the effects it had on my mood."

Gretchen (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 24, 2018

For Birth Control "This was easily the worst medication I have ever been on, no competition at all. I know birth control is trial and error, but holy moly. I tried Junel Fe 1.5/30 for 3 months and I wish I could get them back. Not only did my boobs hurt 24/7 for the entire duration of it, but I was stressed over EVERYTHING the entire time. Truly the worst part about it though was that I lost so much hair and gained 5 pounds. The only benefit is that I never had a child, so seeing that this is the purpose of the medication, I'll give it a 3 rating haha."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2018

For Birth Control "My pharmacy randomly switched me from Microgestin to Junel after a year and since switching 4 weeks ago I've had terrible night sweats causing me to have to change clothes and sheets because I'm soaked, extreme bloating and weight gain of about 5 pounds, acne and greasy skin (I've never had acne in my life except an occasional pimple), terrible cramps (never been much of a cramper), and also mood swings. I had zero of these side effects on Microgestin and will be talking to my doctor about prescribing me ONLY Microgestin and not giving the pharmacy the freedom to randomly switch me even though it has "the same active ingredients.""

Kbee (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve taken this pill about 5 years and I love it. My weight is maintained, my skin is clear and less oily, I have a perfectly scheduled period. I started taking it at 16 as contraceptive and super bad periods. Before taking it I had a 10 day, heavy flow, bad cramps that I was prescribed to Vicodin for. Junel saves lives, I never want to stop taking it. I can say I’ve had a very low sex drive, but I’m okay with that."

Jin (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 27, 2018

For Birth Control "I started this pill about 2 & 1/2 years ago, I am realizing now that I gained 25 pounds in that time. My mood swings are awful... really good highs and really bad lows. I never had a big appetite but now eat everything even when I am not hungry. Junel fe was prescribed to me for my really awful cramps, my slight acne, and my heavy flow. It made my acne a lot worse but helped with the cramps and heavy flow for a while. I am also anemic so the iron was supposed to help me feel less faint and weak but did not really work. It was a lot more effective in the first year, but once being on it for too long I think my body just got used to it and I began to see all the problems I had in the beginning."

Anonymous September 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I never in my life had a negative experience from a birth control pill until I switched to Junel Fe. I was extremely irritable to both my husband and my two year old. I lost crazy amounts of hair. My hunger sky rocketed and I would raid the fridge as soon as I got home from work. I was angry all the time on this pill. The only plus to this pill is that I did not have acne break outs, my skin was clear. But the amount of anxiety and irritability that comes with this pill is not worth it. It took me awhile to figure out what was causing all these horrible side effects because I never experienced side effects like this. It was so bad that I fear to try another pill."

Ana P (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2018

For Birth Control "I’ve been taking this birth control for about 2 or 3 years. There are plenty of horror stories on here but I haven't had any terrible experiences. I’ve been on multiple pills since age 15 due to extreme cramping and heavy periods. This helped the cramping some, however I do get mild hormonal acne at age 23 and I’ve decided to switch just to see if it will makes difference. No weight gain (no breast enlargement either) no crazy mood swings. There is a lower dose of hormones in this pill so it didn’t change my normal body."

Safe (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2018

For Birth Control "I started birth control to help with my excruciating periods (average of 17 days long and horrible cramping) And since I've experienced horrible breakouts, mood swings, a huge increase in anxiety and depression and my sex drive is practically non-existent. As well as those I have a decreased appetite. I hardly eat, yet I'm gaining weight and it's all going to my boobs and thighs. My periods have gone from 17 days to about 10, but I still have horrible cramps and sickness. I was off of the pill for about 2 weeks and I felt like my normal self. Less anxious about everything, less moody, my sex drive increased, but when I started taking them again it all went back to the horrible way I was before I don't really recommend this brand."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2018

For Birth Control "I started Junel because I began to get my period every 2 weeks. All was fine the first 3 weeks. It helped my depression/anxiety and mood immediately. When I started the placebo I got extremely depressed. I always had depression, but was now it was a really dark depression. It had been 2 days and I couldn't stop hysterically crying. On day 4, it was the absolute worst - I decided to call my sister. She knew I had been to the OB recently and asked when I started taking my placebo (I have an app for that,) day 1 of taking the placebo was when they crying began. OB was closed so we decided I should start taking them again. Monday they called and told me to stop it, I refused. I was starting to feel normal again. They put me on it continuously, no placebos. I had no side effects as long as I took it everyday, but if even 1 day got skipped I would be crazy. I was recently was able to wean myself off of it and wouldn't take it again."

Angelpoe07 June 29, 2018

For Birth Control "My pharmacy switched me from Microgestin to Junel Fe after they stopped carrying Microgestin. I've been on this birth control for almost 3 months and it has been the worst time. After I started taking this I noticed that my skin started to break out, which never happens to me, I am 22 and have NEVER had skin problems aside from a stray pimple here and there. Since beginning this my skin has been all over the place and I can't get it under control. I've been bloated and gained weight since taking this. I have been on several other BC pills prior to this and the Microgestin and I've never had such an awful time. Microgestin was perfect and gave me no side effects at all and Junel Fe has been ruining my life for the past 3 months. When I talked to my pharmacist about needing to switch from this she said since they have stopped carrying Microgestin and using Junel Fe a ton of people have been having the same issues."

sd June 26, 2018

For Birth Control "Listen, I have been taking Junel Fe 1.5/30 birth control for 2 weeks and my side effects are nausea, occasional vomiting, low sex drive, dry vagina, painful vagina, dizziness, insomnia, weird heart fluttery feelings, and headaches. It's been TWO weeks & I genuinely feel near death. OHHH & I've started to get bumps on my face. Getting off of this as soon as I possibly can."

Nicol3333 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2018

For Birth Control "I took Junel Fe 1.5/30 for three months before I switched to a new birthcontrol . It did effectively prevent pregnancy and gave me a regular period. The first couple of weeks consisted of terrible nausea and extremely tender breasts. The nausea did subside after the first month or so. My breasts have been tender the entire three months and have grown very much. Although I did not gain weight, I did have really bad mood swings, non-existent sex drive and DEPRESSION! I didn't notice until the end of the 2nd month going into the third one, but I was constantly unhappy and my mood could switch at the drop of a dime. Before taking this pill, my sex drive with my boyfriend was extremely high, but after I began taking it, we've gone nearly 2 months without even touching each other because of me (feel so bad). The pills affect everyone differently so it really is trial and error."

T (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Birth Control "I started so my boyfriend and I could have sex without protection. The first week I ate SO MUCH. My appetite grew that I amazed everyone around me eating so much. The second week I got such bad nausea I threw up. Third week I feel a lot better. BUT I noticed that when I was having sex I was SIGNIFICANTLY dry and had noticed my drive to want to have sex decreased. I had had a very high sex drive and I’m usually very aroused. But lately it seems like sex is a chore and I really have to focus to try and enjoy it a little. So while the side effects of nausea and increased hunger went away, the lack of desire to want to have sex the first month and dryness was enough to turn me off. My friends warned me about the side effects and that a lower sex drive would happen. I decided to stop taking the pills because while I believe the nausea will go away, the lack of desire, and dryness I don’t think will because of the hormones. So I decided to stop. But at least I didn't get pregnant lol"

Sam May 22, 2018

For Birth Control "I have been reading these reviews and my daughter started out on this and was doing really well, then started with cystic acne, weight gain and moodiness and as it turns out, it's not the name brand Junel, the pharmacy switched it to the generic on her. Now that she has insisted that they give her the name brand, she has lost 6 lbs the first month and is happy again. For all of you that are having a hard time, it might be because the pharmacy has switched you to the generic, which is not the same. Insist on the name brand. It has made a difference in my daughter's life. She's 20."

Ang (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 18, 2018

For Birth Control "I feel like there are a lot of negative comments about this birth control, but my experience has been all around positive. Clear skin, lighter periods, and almost non existent cramps. Just trying to offer hope to some of you researching this pill. It wasn’t right for these people, but it was perfect for me. If it is not right for you, switching is always an option. Good luck!"

Laur (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2018

"I have been taking Junel 1.5 for 2 years. I am 49 and had never been on birth control before. My gyne put me on this because I’m going through perimenapause and she said this would control some of the severe symptoms I was having. I gave this a “2” because it did lessen the heavy bleeding I was having, but it worsened the headaches, night sweats, and the big kicker - now I mysteriously have high blood pressure. Two doctors and a pharmacist said they believe it is from Junel 1.5 so I am stopping it. I am in excellent health and eat ultra clean. Make sure you get your blood pressure checked regularly if you take this."

Lee March 20, 2018

For Birth Control "I was previously on Sprintec for about 5 years but switched because my periods were becoming shorter but I was having really odd periods that were heavy and clotting. I also had a lower sex drive and just felt blah so my NP decided it was time for a change. After changing, I instantly felt a change! My periods have been lighter, shorter, and consistently regular. My sex drive came back about a month after switching. The only downside is my cramps are worse but I've always had bad cramps. I would definitely recommend!"

Nurse BW (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I took Junel Fe 1.5/30 for birth control. I had no side effects when I first started. My skin was clear, my period was regular and no mood swings. I was switched from Lo Loestrin because of insurance changes and could tell the pill was different although it’s the generic. I gained a few pounds after 2 months but I was eating poorly so I’m not sure this has anything to do with. After 6 months I lost a lot of weight so I’m not sure the pill was the problem but I started to experience a lot of dryness during sex. I still had a sex drive but definitely decreased. Overall the pill did its job and I had a few times that I forgot to take it and still no scares."

ER707 February 2, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 18 and this is the first birth control I went on because I had a very large ovarian cysts( at the point where I need surgery), I HATE this pill. I have struggled with acne, nothing too bad but I still always have acne. Only after 4 days the acne on my face got terrible, it was all over my face. Not only on my face but then I start to get back acne (which I have never before), that isn't even the worst part. I got acne all over my boobs, like huge pimples everywhere it was just so gross. My mood swings were terrible I would get to mad so easily and once I got mad I always just started to cry. After a week on this pill I started to get really bad hip pain and Advil wasn't helping much. For me this pill was absolutely Terrible."

Jess60006 January 21, 2018

For Birth Control "I am 27, healthy, and have been on birth control since I was 15. I had to switch off my old birth control as they don’t offer it anymore. The first month I took this, I had severe night sweats for two weeks. My period was beyond heavy and lasted 12 days. I am on my third month and have had reoccuring yeast infections since being on this. It is honestly awful. My uterine lining has also thinned out drastically that when I have sex it is always pink after. And I am an emotional person but I swear My emotions are even more out of whack using this. I cry all the time. I am not using this anymore."

CKCK27 January 7, 2018