User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone

Also known as: Alyacen 1/35, Alyacen 7/7/7, Aranelle, Aurovela 1.5/30, Aurovela 1/20, Aurovela 24 Fe, Aurovela Fe 1.5/30, Aurovela Fe 1/20, Balziva, Blisovi 24 Fe, Blisovi Fe 1.5/30, Blisovi Fe 1/20, Brevicon, Briellyn, Cyclafem 0.5/35, ...show all 104 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone.

Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norethindrone to treat Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

"I started Lo Loestrin Fe to help lessen the amount of cysts that I get on my ovaries. I had used different birth control pills in the past and had issues with mood swings, depression, and little to no sex drive so I was hesitant to get back on one. I have been on LLF now for about 3 years. It has helped drastically lower the number of cysts I get each year, although I do still get them occasionally. I had very irregular cycles before starting LLF that were light but painful and sometimes came with fevers, vomiting, and severe cramps. Since being on LLF I have had no full periods and only spotted a few times. I have seen no emotional change or acne change since starting this pill, but it may be causing a slight issue with losing weight."

Easton, Nicole July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "In 2014 I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was 14 years old and had no idea what to expect. In 2017 I was switched from Tri-Previfem to Junel FE 1/20, the 21 day pack. I've been on it for 3 months now. In that time span I've been constantly woken up from nightmares and have anxiety attacks and heart palpations. My mood has literally been off the wall. I snap at everything. If someone even asks me a question I blow up. I'm also constantly nauseous. I honestly thought I was pregnant at first, but many doctors and home tests proved me wrong. I wouldn't suggest this because I've never had problems with anxiety before this. Definitely going to my gyno to switch soon!!"

McKenSand (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed years ago with PCOS . This year I was having some issues with night sweats headaches and nausea and asked my OB/Gyn to check my hormones. To my surprise I have a hormone imbalance my FSH and LH levels were backwards. Treatment is to go back on birth control pills . She prescribed me blisovi- I hadn't heard of these but I am taking them. At first I head a mild headache that went away after the first week of pills. My only complaint is since I started this first pill pack I have bleed the whole month and almost done with my nonactive pills. My doc says this is normal the first 3 pill packs and should stop on the 4th pill pack..she says my body is adjusting to hormones. I'm hoping that is all it is."

Blisovi 1.5/30 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Was prescribed this pill for PCOS and acne. Read the reviews and was very nervous but decided to try it regardless. Within 3 days of taking this I had horrific nightmares and nightsweats, heart palpitations, and the worst constant anxiety of my life. Everyone reacts differently, but if you are prone to anxiety I highly suggest not trying this pill. You will regret it."

Anonymous April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this over a year ago because I have PCOS and before taking this some months I would miss my period completely, sometimes I get these horrible excruciating 2 month periods. Now after taking this I haven't had any new growths. I have sweet cravings but I haven't had my period in about 5 months (though that could be the PCOS). I haven't gained weight but I'm also working out and eating better. The main complaint I have for this is the gas and the constant nausea for me. I take this at 8:00 am and I still feel horrible 12 hours later. I've heard it helps to take it at night so I'll try that eventually. Still, not pregnant so."

Lizzo April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Necon 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Just started week 2 of this bc. I can't really say if my issues are from this, I had the flu a week prior to starting and also during the first week. Im 25 years old- 2 kids and first time taking any kind of birth control. I self diagnosed myself as having PCOS- and my Gyn prescribed me Necon 1/35. SO far my symptoms which could be from being sick or the birth control-- Dizziness/ head gets foggy and vision slowed- starting 20 minutes after taking pill and lasting up to 6 hours afterwards. Nausea, loss of appetite, food aversions, mood swings, ( also have been having some stress/life issues, along with being sick) Breast tenderness, don't seem so bloated now, fatigue."

Kaytlynne (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this pill every since august and its been great so far. No side effects from it. I have been taking the pills before my pcos diagnosis. I got diagnosed the end of August a week or two after starting the pill. So far I haven't had no side effects or anything. Everything's great."

Keke14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this pill to help the pain that followed my most recent mass removal on my right ovary. While I can't say too many great things, this was the fourth pill I've tried in the past five years. And I gained the least amount of weight from it than any of the others. However, I started this pill four weeks ago and I have had nonstop heavy bleeding ever since. I have terrible cramps, back aches, migraines, nausea, and dizziness. I'm way more emotional. And I'm constantly exhausted but can never sleep. I would not recommend to the people I know."

KrisAckerman (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I am 31 and This is my first time taking birth control pills. this thing is giving me acne all over my face! Big ones that I have never seen before because I have never had acne in my life. I'm extremely tired and sleepy all day but I am loosing weight. I will have a talk with my GYN at my next appointment,I want something else!!! But I'm stuck between choosing to loose weight or keep getting acnes."

Kontee August 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"What I have is a recurring ovarian cyst; what I need is an oophorectomy. However, no one will do it until I try, and fail, to control the condition with birth control. (disclosure: 45 years old, been sterile since 2002 after tubal ligation.) Was prescribed this form of birth control - caused the worst headaches I've ever had in my life. DEBILITATING headache - spent days on the couch with a heating pad on my face. Flushed the pills down the crapper - cyst pain/irregular cycles/heavy bleeding/ anemia is better than taking these."

old_broad (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Microgestin Fe 1.5/30 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "WORST BC PILL EVER!!! First two weeks went great no side effects but third week was terrible! This pill made me super bloated and constipated. It really messed my stomach up it's so uncomfortable. Will never take this again."

Anonymous May 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I started Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo when I turned 18; used it for about 3 years until my cycles started showing up whenever they wanted. My doctor switched me to Sprintec, which was a constant dose of hormone as opposed to the increasing dose like OTCL. Sprintec turned me into an absolutely CRAZY person; my emotions were out of control and my doc seemed to think there was no problem at all. I took myself off of the meds for about 6 months trying to rebalance my system and found a new doctor. My new doctor diagnosed me with PCOS and suggested Lo Loestrin Fe. She told me there was a good chance that my period would go away entirely and asked if I was ok with that. BEST DECISION I EVER MADE! Spotted ONCE since starting it in Nov 2014--no more cycle!"

finally! (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A sample was given to me by my doc. A week has past and I'm moody & bloated all the time. Is anybody else experiencing the same symptom? (I have been on many different birth controls and this is the first time I've had this much discomfort and continuous bloating)"

Yssp (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Loestrin 24 Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I have PCOS and Endometerosis and neither one of them caused a problem with my skin. People always complimented me and then my doctor suggested for me to be put on YAZ. Wow I loved Yaz because that birthconrtol pill cleared up my moods and my skin just looked even better and I just loved that medication. Since everyone was having problems with it, my doctor stopped my Yaz immediately and then prescribed me Lomedia. Since I have been on Lomedia, I have had my gall bladder removed, I have facial hair, I have acne like you wouldn't believe, horrible stomach pains and now IBS. Then I took a month break from the Lomedia and everything cleared up. I was back to normal. I would not recommend this product. I never had these problems before Lomedia"

Seanna2124 February 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "My gynecologist put me on this for PCOS. I took it for two years. My periods are few, random and unpredictable. I didn't have regular bleeding at all. I had one or two periods a year on it. The periods were much less uncomfortable, and my PMS symptoms were a lower severity. Didn't help with my high insulin which is my big problem. Didn't help with my ridiculously bad adult acne big problem. It went back to before. For a short period, I think it decreased my acne by 10%. The only pro I can think of is that it dealt with my higher risk for developing endometrial cancer due to lining buildup from unopposed estrogen. If I miss a dose here or there, I have awful mood swings. I'm going to a new gynecologist because I need better management of my PCOS."

Heather423 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Microgestin Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Hello, I have always believed my daughter might have PCOS because she had all the symptoms including weight gain despite diet/exercise, severe acne, facial hair and irregular periods. She was placed on BC as a freshman in high school and did a round of Accutane - which as difficult as it was, took care of her cystic acne. Now at 20, she has thinning hair, I need to know if we should keep her on microgestin or go with another BC pill. We will also be having her thyroid checked."

MilwMom (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Necon 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "6 months ago I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries. I was put on this upon diagnosis. Periods went from maybe 4 unbelievably heavy periods a year lasting about 8-12 days. To completely regular periods, very light and lasting about 2-4 days. Honestly haven't had any severe problems. The most obvious effect on me would have to be the sore breasts and enlargement. No acne other than the occasional pimple. Ultimately, I would recommend."

Anonymous December 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this right before (only 2 weeks before) I was diagnosed with PCOS. Yes, at the start I had really bad mood swings, it didn't help I was starting a new drug for stress headaches that had the same (mood swing) effect. I talked to my DR. about it and she advised me to stay on it for 3 months, then afterwards I can come back and discuss the pill and see if I need to be put on another. I have been on it for 4-5 months now, and I have little to no mood swings anymore. I love taking this, because before I wouldn't have any idea when I was about to get a period, sometimes would go for months without one. Now I know exactly when it will happen. This is a huge relief to me. As for my PCOS, I won't know until my next ultrasound."

Camc November 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wera (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "Mostly I liked Wera. It was better than the necon 1/35 I had been on previously. I still had enough mood swings that I felt bad enough for my husband to want to change my b.c. I really didnt have much depression on this, a little lower libido, but it did not cause chronic migraines like the other b.c. I eventually switched"

Britall (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Necon 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "This was the first one I was put on after going off b.c. after college when I was able to get married and needed contraceptive. I had known for years that I had PCOS (zero periods/year) and would eventually get my diagnosis 2 months after this b.c. It was horrible. I had major mood swings, I would scream at my husband (then fiance) then all of a sudden end up bawling. I had to go off it and still have yet to find a good b.c. that works."

Britall September 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Junel Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I just switched to this pill from one that made me gain weight (all to boobs and butt so I'm not reeeeeally complaining but still.) This is my first period with this pill, and I'm rejoicing. I've always had extra heavy periods, and they usually last 8-9 days, so it was basically hell. I had gotten used to sleeping on a towel I always ended up leaking onto my sheets and ruining them, and I was resigned to a life of painfully large super tampons. But today - I wore a regular tampon and didn't leak? And I can wear a regular pad and sleep without a towel? This is amazing and I love it. A "

Kiddo17 August 27, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have experienced what my doctor calls "spotting" which I completely disagree. I've had my monthly cycle for 2 weeks & a half. Just as heavy as normal and same pain level in cramps. I was giving this to shrink the size of my ovarian cyst to make it go away pretty much but I'm not exactly quite sure if it's even shrinking. I have also experienced weight gain and I'm in the process of losing weight so that really does not help. I have also experienced mood swings. Maybe it will be worth it after my next sonogram."

Nat M (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Generess was recommended by my ob/gyn as it was new to the market and with low dose progestin. I take this to regulate my periods due to pcos. I have taken it for close to a year and I love it. Great taste, no side effects. Can't say if it has any advantage on acne as I have mild acne anyway, but it did not worsen. No weight gain. What sucks the most is now the manufacturer does not provide a coupon anymore and the generess website is pretty much a blank slate. What happened generess? This med is VERY expensive without a coupon. I did alot of research and found there is a generic for it with no copay for me! Let's see how it goes! I hope it works well. Fingers crossed."

mmp81 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was the first pill my specialist me on for PCOS and EXTREMELY irregular cycles. A few days before I went in for him to see him I was spotting. While taking this pill, I have never stopped bleeding. The only time I stopped bleeding was when I was on the 2nd to last sugar pill of the 1st pack, and I started bleeding again a week after starting the active pills again. So obviously these pills weren't for me. Even after taking 2 a day for a week as told to do so by my doctor, hasn't COMPLETELY stopped the spotting. It's still very light. He's put me on Necon 1/50 now, and to take 2 pills as well for a week and to call him back to see if it helped. I hope this doesn't reek havoc on my body taking this much estrogen"

Tarasaurus (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Gildess Fe 1/20 (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone): "I've been taking Gildess for about 11 months now. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, so my periods are normally very far and few. I was prescribed Gildess to regulate my periods, but mainly to help with PMDD. Since taking Gildess, it has helped tremendously with my anger/depression. My mood swings are gone, but I've gained 40 pounds! One of the side effects of this med is weight gain and cravings for carbs and sweets. I like what Gildess has done for my mood, but I hate the weight gain. That may be a factor in me stopping this medication soon."

Manderrott June 27, 2015