User Reviews for Levlen

Levlen has an average rating of 4.4 out of 10 from a total of 73 ratings on Drugs.com. 30% of those users who reviewed Levlen reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding  Off-label 7.5
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome  Off-label 4.7
Birth Control   4.0
Endometriosis  Off-label 3.7
Summary of Levlen reviews 4.4 73 reviews

Reviews for Levlen

M February 22, 2021

For Birth Control: “I was prescribed Levlen for PMDD. This changed my whole world - gone are the extended fits of crying and bouts of inexplicable rage. Within days of starting my first cycle I felt the bloat come in instantly, really sore nipples and I felt really tired. Essentially, I felt like I was pregnant (according to google searches) but for me it's a small price to pay for the benefits I get. I am in my second month and the water weight seems to be going down, I have gotten back into my usual exercise routine and my skin is markedly improved too. I allowed a withdrawal bleed and experienced PMS-like symptoms but not the terrifying rage and profound sadness that I usually do. I am over 35 and have cardiac issues so I will have to be monitored closely and will be bummed if my specialists decide that this medication isn't for me. It's restored my sanity!”

Anonymous February 18, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’ve been using this pill for only a week and a half and already experiencing bad anxiety, depression and I never experienced this before. I’m always a joyful person I thought it was just me and now reading with the other girls have been through I’ve just stopped taking it and hoping to feel like myself again soon. I've been crying over the smallest things so random don’t recommend this pill at all. I will be going back on yasmin”

1234Lon · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2021

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on Levlen ED for 3 years, first pill my friend ever prescribed me. Ever since I started my mood swings have been horrid, I gained weight and have not been able to get it off regardless of the calorie deficit or training I do, and I was able to eat so much beforehand and I’m consuming less now... I developed symptoms of anxiety and depression and I recently went back to my doctor after multiple breakdowns in the past year and decided: no it has to be the pill and I was told that Levlen ED is the worst for mood swings and negative mental health effects... glad I was informed now. Would not recommend, yes it helped my skin, periods (used to get horrendous 10 day heavy bleeds with cramps that left me lifeless), contraceptive use and that’s about it.”

Anonymous January 2, 2021

For Endometriosis: “My GP prescribed Levlen to control my abdominal pain. I have nearly finished the first month and rather than stopping my period it seems to have had the opposite effect - never ending period. I had some nausea initially, but this has substantially reduced. In addition to my normal period pain, I have experienced unusual mood changes (anger, anxiety, flat affect). Further, it seems to have caused a flare in my Lupus symptoms (joint and muscle pain). Overall, it feels like my batteries have been drained. I know this works for some people, but I personally regret taking it.”

Naina · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 16, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I had painful periods my whole life and for about 11 years, I went from doctor to doctor trying different pain medications , herbal medicines and undertaking multiple ultrasounds in the hopes of detecting endometriosis. Finally, one good doctor suggested going on birth control before doing my endo surgery. I was extremely hesitant at first and scared but I gave it a go and do not regret it since. With LEVLEN ED, I have had no acne, no weight gain, no painful periods, no problems what so ever. It felt almost like a magical potion I had taken. I was hesitant to initially take it as I read some bad reviews online but this was my wonder drug and I had to review it.”

Cass · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2020

For Birth Control: “Wow! Just when I thought I was completely alone! I have been using Norimin for 8 years and due to Covid got supplied with Levlen. I have cried and cried due to my severe bloating, which didn't occur previously! Thank god I’m not alone! Hopefully I can find something else soon because this is driving my insane!”

Xomb · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 6, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Started these Levlen birth control pills to help control mood swings and have had an overwhelmingly good experience. Cycle went from 8 days down to 3 and while I have gained a few kilos, it’s manageable with regular exercise. As for mood swings, went from weeks of crippling sadness down to only having occasional stress related over reactions so I’m pretty happy with this pill.”

SephoraeX · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 21, 2020

For Birth Control: “I was on levlen for about a year and a half, after the first few months my hair started thinning, I started to bruise ridiculously easy and I started to get tired all the time. Went to the doctor mentioned the pill and she completely disregarded it and told me to eat more red meat. Over a year later and my symptoms got worse, my hair thinned more, my mood was terrible before my period and I had started to to experience panic attacks and anxiety which ultimately led me to get depression. I went back to my doctor about a month ago, she once again disregarded the pill and told me to get all these tests done. I took it upon myself to stop taking it and I feel 1000% better. I’m not moody, I’m happy and my hair isn’t falling out at the rate it was. I’m giving my body a break from any contraception right now :)”

hol25 · Taken for 10 years or more November 10, 2020

“Reading this thread I'm super confused with what's going on with me. I've been on Levlen for over 10 years with no issues. In fact I'm generally a very happy person with a normal period - no PMS, pimples, bloating etc. And I've always been content despite life's usual ups and downs. I've come off Levlen for a cycle now and I have no idea who I am!? I had SEVERE PMS before my period with so many symptoms it was ridiculous that I could barely get out of bed. I'm now a week off my period and I feel like life is so hard. I just feel fat and ugly, demotivated with absolutely everything in my life, I'm always feeling anxious and depressed and I've been binge drinking to avoid all of this. I can barely function. Why is this happening AFTER coming off Levlen? Everywhere I read only talks about these symptoms ON the pill. what is wrong with me :(”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2020

For Birth Control: “Like many others I have been on Norimin for 11 years. Due to covid I had to switch to Levlen and had the worst experience. I’ve become super anxious, the worst acne outbreaks on my chest, back and face. I rarely ever had any pimples and now have extremely painful ones that don’t seem to heal. I’ve gained close to 4kg and have started to get bad tummy pains and bloating.”

Alex · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Have been a month on Levlen and it is the worst pill I have ever taken. I started off my journey with some pretty common pills like Yaz. Other than slight nausea and headache they weren’t bad at all. Levlen instead gave me the worst water retention and so weight gain, worst mood swings and worst migraines ever! I couldn’t recognise myself... Please don’t take this if you’re a young woman, it is too strong!”

anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2020

For Birth Control: “Like others I was on Norimin for about 10 years, but unable to get it due to COVID or other supply reasons. I was prescribed Levlen. I persisted for 3 months. They were the most awful 3 months. My moods were out of control I had massive pimple break outs, after not even having my period on Norimin I experience heavy bleeding and cramping on Levlen, I have put on 5kg, I had glands popping up everywhere. Worst pill ever! I am now on Valette. I hope it is a better experience. It is not subsidised and I am paying about $85 for 3 months, but I was at a point where I didn't care I just needed to change pills.”

Steph · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2020

For Endometriosis: “Started taking this pill Levlen continuously (no sugar pills) 3 months ago. I gained 15 pounds, I have no sex drive, leg cramping, higher blood pressure, anxiety, cramps, back pain and spotting. This pill sucks! Just stopped taking it and hope to feel like myself again soon.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2020

For Endometriosis: “Levlen is the WORST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME! I was on Norimin-1 but as a result of Covid they were unable to import the ingredients for it, my doctor then switched me to Levlen... worst thing ever, after 3 weeks of use I had severe hormonal acne all along my jawline. The pressure from the acne hurts my face (I’ve never ever had any issues with my skin) I thought this may be just because of a hormonal change from trying a new pill. After 3 months it became worse and worse. Never have I had severe head aches but daily I now have severe head aches that come out of no where. I have severe depression now from this pill, my mood swings are absolutely insane”

Holza · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 5, 2020

For Birth Control: “Just started Levlen around 2 months ago. Now I know that there is no proof that the pill causes weight gain, however as soon as I started on this pill I noticed a huge difference in my hunger levels. I’m usually one to lose weight quite quickly and “shake it off” but I just can’t seem to get rid of it. Also have started to get bad acne/pimples mostly around the chin area. Libido has completely disappeared and I just don’t feel like myself. Will give it another month but keen to try another pill.”

Anonymous September 29, 2020

For Birth Control: “I came to the web to see if anyone else was experiencing what I was after taking this pill and wow!! ok I'm not going crazy. Firstly, I've only been taking the pill for two weeks and I've noticed constant bleeding but after research, I have found that that is quite normal. So I'm ok with that. But I'm sitting here, 26 years old, with cystic acne, mood swings of a 13 year old, constant drowsiness, weight gain and headaches. This pill, according to my GP, was supposed to minimise pimples and stabilise my cycle. I won't be putting another pill into my body. The worst ever!”

Robyn · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

For Birth Control: “I took this when I was about 20 years old. For not quite 3 weeks. I got the worst nausea and had to take Maxolon to help with that. I remember when the anti-nausea medication wore off and I rushed to the bathroom, so sure I was going to puke. I didn't, but whoa! I looked at myself in the mirror and said "No pill ever again" and I've stuck with that! Shocking what this pill does. And I took this years ago when the hormone dosage levels were far higher than they are now! It's not surprising how horrible so many women's experiences are on here. Being on the OCP is basically pretending to your body that you're pregnant, among other things. Nausea, sleep problems, weight gain, acne, lack of libido; you name it. The list of side-effects of Levlen ED is disastrous. AVOID THIS PILL. Honestly, if you want all those symptoms from this pill, just get pregnant! A least you get a cute little baby at the end of it!”

Jayne · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 19, 2020

For Birth Control: “Fantastic for birth control and missing periods for a few months in my 20s. Had children and a 10 yr break... as I approached 40s it doesn’t seem strong enough for my body now and I get breakthrough bleeding after a few weeks. Can’t seem to miss a period now and don’t want to go on higher hormone dose. Found out from a colposcopy it’s also causing tissues to grow outside of cervix which causes bleeding easily. More reason for me to stop taking the pill now.”

NC June 22, 2020

For Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: “After 13 years on Diane35 (Estelle) I switched to Levlen. At first it seemed fine and for quite a long time it appeared to be keeping my PCOS under control. Around the two year mark hair growth and acne reappeared at quite a fast pace and nothing I tried seemed to help. After 6 months of battling acne I’ve moved back to Diane35.”

San · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2020

For Birth Control: “I'm onto my second month and I'm experiencing constant sleep breaks, waking every few hours and nightmares, heavy head and two migraines so far. I usually sleep with no issues at all. My mood is very short tempered and I seem to get anger snaps which is so unlike me. Also acne all around my chin area has worsened. I started this pill because of the lower dose, previously I was taking Brenda ED to control acne but that made me sooo depressed to a point where I was crying at the smallest things and thinking the worst. Was hoping Levlen would help because of the lower dose but sadly not. So disappointed”

Nori · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2020

For Birth Control: “Hi, i am 23 years old. I was on Levlen for 4 months. I don't want to say anything bad about this pill but I will share my experience. The first month was constant headaches, no breakthrough bleeding, and on off heartburn. Second month I begun breaking out on my chin as long as heart burn and headaches. Third month the breakouts got really bad and extremely painful and I begun getting ‘dermatitis’ around both my eyes and lips. By my forth month, I had constant headaches, heartburn every few days and the dermatitis got worse as well as the acne. Might I add, I never had acne prior to this. But I must say, birth control and period pain wise, it was incredible. I did gain weight on this pill but i didn't mind because period pain wise prior pill, was extreme.”

Shannon April 22, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “My doctor recommended this birth control pill (Levlen) to me because of my heavy cramping and acne (46 years old). I am on my 5th pack of this pill. If I had read the reviews before I started, I probably never would’ve started. So my advice to people is every pill is going to work differently for each person, so try what your doctor recommends. This pill has changed my life, my periods were so heavy that it caused me to be dangerously anemic. I got anxious during my cycle because they were so heavy, that I couldn’t go an hour without having to change my pad AND tampon. Now my periods are super light, and last only about two days and I no longer have cramping. I’ve had acne my entire life up until 4 months ago, I hardly break out at all, my skin looks great and I’m no longer getting the hormonal cystic acne on my chin that I would get monthly!! I have gained about 6 pounds. But I can’t necessarily say it’s from the pill. I hope you all find what works for you!! Good luck ladies!!”

Georgie · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “I’ve been on Levlen for around 7 years and I’ve found this to work really well for me. No real weight gain (I was hungrier to begin with, but that subsided!). Slight decrease in libido, but my skin and moods have been very stable for years! I use it purely for contraceptive and only once tried another pill (I came back from a month vacation, gained weight and naturally wanted to blame it on the pill, not my eating)...after one round on another type of pill, I decided I needed to back to what worked for my body - I was back on Levlen. I came in to this pill with low expectations - I wasn’t expecting it to perform miracles. It serves its purpose, and with little to no side effects. I’ll come off it when I plan to start a family. I’m sorry to hear that it hasn’t been effective for everyone, but it’s also good to hear positive experiences on this pill as well.”

Contra · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 3, 2020

For Birth Control: “Started this Levlen last August and as of writing this review I’ve been using it for about 7 months. It did take about 2 months for me to settle into it which killed my libido, and my bleeding was abnormal (spotting, super long periods of 7+ days, unpredictable period starting days) but probably since November it’s been well. My periods come exactly when the pack says it should (though very heavy the first 2 days) and my libido is back to normal. I’ve had no issues with mood swings though that might be attributed to my other meds. I also take Lovan (an SSRI) so my libido for the combination for these two is pretty good.”

Anonymous February 14, 2020

For Birth Control: “I'm a 29 yr old in New Zealand. Not been on any contraceptive before. I tried Levlen for 6 weeks before I quit. My period normally lasts for 10 days so my Dr. and I were hoping that by taking the pill I wouldn't get periods anymore full stop. And that my mood would be more stable as my periods often made me sad. I took the pills correctly skipped the sugar pills and just kept taking a hormone pill every morning. BUT still got my period. The worst thing was that it lasted almost 30days! And I was very anxious and felt like more of an angry and impatient person. I wasn't sure whether to keep taking it and see if it stabilised after 3-4months. I had friends say good things about taking the pill so was half hopeful half scared/worried. But at this point after a month of bleeding I was over it. I went back to my dr and she said I had a very unusual response to it and we decided to stop taking it. It literally did the opposite of what we were aiming for.”