User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol

Also known as: Demulen, Demulen 1/35, Demulen 1/50, Kelnor 1/35, Kelnor 1/50, Zovia 1/35E, Zovia 1/50E

Endometriosis

1 review 102 medications
Birth Control

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

1 review 105 medications
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/ethynodiol reviews 5.9 57 reviews

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/ethynodiol

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "Had been on this medicine for a couple of years but then realized it was making my skin worse, major cravings, and weight gain with a lot of bloating. I would always feel super nauseous when starting the pill at the beginning of the month and would sometimes vomit. I do not recommend this brand. Basically had all of the side effects."

Cami March 12, 2018

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I stopped taking Zovia after only a month or two because it made me seriously depressed. I felt like life was pointless and was often in generally negative moods. As soon as I switched to a new pill, my dark moods immediately went away."

StRen March 12, 2018

Kelnor 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "Horrible spotting, making me so irritable. This OC is ruining my usually great relationship. Look up how androgens in birth control influence your mood and skin. I usually have great skin usually and it's breaking me out. Please avoid if you have problems with mental health. Only upside is no migraines, which many pills make worse for me."

sarah (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2018

For Birth Control: "This is the 6th pill I've tried. I just finished my 3rd pack and plan on continuing this. So far - no weight gain I'm aware of, no spotting in between periods, periods are about 4 days long and pretty mild. I'll get one small pimple on my chin during the period week but that's about it. I do get pretty moody during the beginning of the period week as well. Throughout the month my moods are pretty stable. And I do feel a bit hungrier on this compared to past pills. But I work out and try to eat healthy so I don't gain weight or give into cravings. This is a HUGE improvement from past pills. I used to be moody, spotted in between, had awful cramps, and broke out insanely in majority of the other pills I was on. Let's hope this keeps working!"

lolachora January 10, 2018

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I only took this a month and had to stop. This made my skin SO DRY. At first I couldn’t figure out why. I spent a lot of money on creams and moisturizers and nothing could help it. My face was so tight to the point where it was extremely uncomfortable all day long. I finally googled it and found out that combination birth controls (those with estrogen and testosterone) stop sebum production which is why it clears up acne. This is great for oily girls but not great for girls with already dry skin. I also stopped this pill because it made me eat like a pregnant girl. Nothing would satisfy my appetite and I was CONSTANTLY hungry. I gained weight just the short time I was on it."

Jennat5715 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2017

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I took zovia for one month. After one week of being on the medication, I felt awful. I was getting headaches and nausea. On top of that I had nonstop cravings. I had to go off of it!"

Kristilynn20 November 5, 2017

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on zovia for about 3 years now and I've about had enough. Yes it has been so far amazing in preventing pregnancy or whatever. But the side effects are no joke. The weight gain is horrible, for example if I eat regularly without the birth control I weight 130 pounds but if I'm on the birth control eating the same I weigh almost 150 pounds IT IS RIDICULOUS. My mood swings are so bad I'm so sensitive and emotional and I wish I would've read reviews on the birth control first because, before your period if you think PMS is bad try being zovia while you're on your period NOBODY will wanna be around you. Anyways not everyone is the same but that's just my experience."

haileyann (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 19, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I took Zovia the pink packet manufactured by Watson for 7 years with no problems. No changes in weight, no acne, and less painful and shorter periods. In early 2017 the manufacturer changed to Mayne the blue packet. I only took it for 5 days then immediately stopped because it was causing acne. Now I am on Kelnor, which has the same main ingredients as Zovia, however Zovia (pink packet) is better in my case. Too bad it is no longer being manufactured....."

Bonita G July 23, 2017

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "Was on Zovia 1/35 for 7 years and experience was great and that rating would have been a 10. However, the manufacturer used to be Watson (pink packet), but now it is manufactured by Mayne (blue packet), which I give a 3 rating. I only took the Zovia pills manufactured by Mayne for 5 days. I stopped taking because I started to get acne and each day I was getting more pimples. I am not acne prone and the previous Zovia pills by Watson did not break me out. Now I am on Kelnor, which supposed to be similar to Zovia (both are generic for Demulen) however now my periods last about 8 days and I get small bumps on my face that clear up for a few days then reappear in different locations. So Kelnor is rated a 6."

Different Manufacturer in 2016 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 18, 2017

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "This birth control made me extremely emotional! I'm 32 and my life was fine before I got on this pill only 2 months ago. I started flashing out on my boyfriend and have even gained about 5 pounds. I'm finishing the pack and moving on to something else. Meds are not supposed to decrease quality of life."

Be warned June 21, 2017

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I have a love and hate relationship with the zovia 1/35 birth control pill. Back when I was younger in my teen years even early 20s it worked amazing. No weight gain at all. I stopped taking it for a few years when I started my family and now 10 years later decided to get back on it. Let me just say, weight gain! I don't blame the pill 100% but I feel like you have got to be prepared for how hungry this pill makes you! So you will be hungrier than usual and eat more and hence gain weight on it. Its getting out of control, I have decided to stop this month."

Girl On A Journey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I do not recommend this birth control if you are prone to depression or anxiety, it's absolutely terrible. I was prescribed it to stop my heavy bleeding and painful cramps during my period. It has done nothing to lighten the flow, the cramps are just as bad, if not worse, and I've had complete anxiety, despite my treatment and medication for it. Please be cautious. I wish I'd never taken it."

August2004 October 10, 2016

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I have been on Zovia for more than 5 years, because I have had irregular menses due to a medicine I take for seizures. At first, when I started Zovia, my periods were regular, my skin was clearer, and my hair was long. Only during these last two years have I had at least one month during which my periods were longer than a week. My skin also has been breaking out, and my hair has been breaking off. Now, I'm on my period, and it will be the longest period I have ever had. I have been melancholy, and I have lost my temper at people I love the most, which is not like me. I think my body is tired of Zovia. It is time to switch over to something else."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2016

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I started this birth control pill 12 days ago. I'm 18 years old and take it for bad cramps and excessive bleeding. Ever since I started it I've had extremely debilitating nausea, anxiety, and loss of appetite. I stopped taking it yesterday in hopes of the terrible nausea ending. The nausea spread from my shoulders to the bottom of my sternum. I had anxiety attacks for no reason. I would not recommend this medication."

Allielizabeth April 8, 2016

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on this birth control for nine years, and I have loved it! I never have acne, and I've never had any hormonal side-effects. My periods only last one to three days, and they're very light."

k21perry (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 29, 2016

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I had to quit this medication because it made me agitated and very paranoid. I was to the point that I was going to quit my job and was convinced that my family was turning on me. I stopped and within 1.5 months everything resolved. I am now on Ocella and it works great."

Mscunn01 December 12, 2015

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on Zovia for at least a year now, I had tried two other types of pills before this point, but they basically made me have a period for at least two weeks out of the month. Zovia has worked really well, I have typical periods now and they last maybe 4 days? My acne has cleared up a lot, and I did end up going a cup size and gaining some weight (this might be related to other things in my life though, so I'm not 100% going to blame the birth control for this). My PMS is better than it used to be (I used to have the worst mood swings before I went on any pill at all), however my sex drive is super low. I'd say that's probably the only bad part?"

Beth9177 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 25, 2015

Demulen (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "Took Demulen 1/35 brand only from 1999-2007. It's been all downhill from there trying to find something that was amazing as this was. Fuller breast, great skin, no more cramps, period perfectly on time to the hour, NO headaches & never once had a migraine in all those years!!!! Amazing pill brand name! Now it's discontinued & generic is a complete nightmare!!! Kelnor gave me every extreme symptom there was & felt terrible, gained migraines, cramps & Zovia made me have horrid cramps, heavy flow & felt terrible. I stuck it out for months to no avail. I will forever miss Demulen 1/35 brand. Good luck to you all!"

MissAces (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 4, 2015

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I started it freshman year of high school because it would clear up my acne (not bad case of acne at all) But I went on it and it worked. I saw that my skin was clearing up and I was very pleased with it. I had my first serious relationship freshman year of college and thought the pill would help if anything were to happen with that I was at least being safe, if anything were to get to that point of the relationship. I see a lot of people saying they were moody that isn't the case at all with me. I was fine when TOM made his visit I would get on the first day I would get the occasional cramp then it would go away. My mood never change, I was still happy and healthy. See what your doctor recommends, every pills is different for everyone."

ANNA0001 May 27, 2015

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I've been using Zovia for about almost four months now and so far I think it's been wonderful, besides a few things. This was my first time ever trying birth control and I wasn't to sure about it. When I first started Zovia my first month was great no side affects or anything. Then my second month came and that's when everything went down hill. I started to get bad cramps, was very depressed, and was always throwing up. Also, my periods have actually gotten heavier and still last a full week. Till this day I still throw up every month one day out of my second/third week before my period. I still experience some depression but other than that my cramps and everything else have gone away."

Betty3719739/0 April 12, 2015

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I've been on this birth control going on 8 years. Never any weight gain or physical issues, but the occasional mood swings and PMS. Cant say if Ive had an increase in appetite. But totally worth it. Haven't gotten pregnant!"

Maria O. March 26, 2015

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I was on Beyaz before switching to Zovia. I switched because my periods were so light that tampons were painful and pads were too much protection. On Zovia, my periods are even lighter, lasting a max of 2-3 days with an extremely light almost nonexistent flow, larger breasts, oily skin on my face, weight gain in my abdomen and thighs, & constant bloating. However, my acne has not reappeared since being on Zovia. Thinking about switching birth control. These light periods make me fear I'm pregnant."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2014

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I take birth control mostly to take care of my extremely heavy periods and hormonal acne. This is by far the best birth control I have been on for ME. I originally started on Zovia 1/35 (after already trying 2-3 different kinds of pills), which worked beautifully for a year until I began experiencing spotting and my DR recommended upping the estrogen and trying out the 1/50. When I first started it, I had horrible nausea because my body wasn't used to that amount of hormones, but that didn't last long. My skin was completely cleared up and periods were the lightest they've ever been. Really loved this pill but I'm on Mononessa now because my new gyno was scared of the amount of hormones I was putting into my body. Never had side effects on this."

shabak (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 17, 2014

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I took Zovia for about 6 months mainly to regulate as well as clear up my skin. It did those things wonderfully however, I had the WORST night sweats imaginable! I would wake up in the middle of the night soaking wet. I'd have to change my clothes & sleep on a towel. It was awful! This problem outweighed the benefits so I took myself off. I did get depressed before my period also."

strawberripug November 24, 2014

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: "I've been using it for a month and so far I like it. I switched from Mononessa because Mononessa was making me break out and I still would bleed heavily on it. My doctor switched me and now my periods are so so light. My first period on it started a couple of days ago and I was actually scared that it was implantation bleeding because it was so light. My acne has decreased so that is definitely a bonus. I do feel like my breasts are bigger (and being only 120lbs this was a plus for me). There is one thing I'm worried about. My weight fluctuates between 117-123... I have felt like my lower abdomen is full but not bloated. I'm active but the full feeling in the bladder makes me feel a little self conscious. Maybe that will go away soon though."

JennaMichelle480 (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2014