User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/ethynodiol

Also known as: Kelnor 1/35, Lo-Malmorede, Kelnor 1/50, Zovia 1/35E Zovia 1/50E Malmorede Zovia 1/35

Ethinyl estradiol/ethynodiol has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 70 ratings on Drugs.com. 50% of those users who reviewed Ethinyl estradiol/ethynodiol reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Birth Control
6.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
Endometriosis
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/ethynodiol reviews 6.1 70 reviews

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/ethynodiol

Artemis719 · Taken for 10 years or more July 23, 2020

Kelnor 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “Zovia 1/50 was the only brand of contraceptive pill I took for 9 years and switched to Kelnor 1/35 2 years ago. The reason they lowered the estrogen being my body changed and I had less excessive hair growth. About a year into Kelnor I began getting “menstrual” cramps even on the active pills. My GYN said that’s normal when you’ve been on the same brand of Birth Control pill for a decade, my body is TOO accustomed to the hormones in Kelnor :( so this pill isn’t effective for me anymore..I ovulated when I’m not supposed to! I’m saddened to have to be switched to Apri, I was saved for over a decade by Zovia/kelnor. This BC Pill saved my life and helped me feel more normal, I’d highly recommend Kelnor!! Some of these reviews are of a scary experience with Kelnor, the risk of blood clots is RARE. If you don’t smoke, are under age 35 and have no underlying medical condition it reduces the chances. I was on 50 mg of estrogen for a long period and I had zero issues with it.”

Cassief · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 28, 2020

For Birth Control: “20 years old no kids, started this pill when I was 17 after nexplanon and different pills gave me awful bleeding and spotting. The high estrogen content in this pill still those issues. However, years later I have depression that I never had before, went from 117 lbs to 127, and have no energy, and it raised my blood pressure. A benefit of this pill is that I didn’t get pregnant and it was my only form of birth control. Last week I got a copper iud inserted because I want to stop the hormones. I enjoyed this pill in the beginning, however over time it turns you into a different person.”

Katie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 8, 2020

For Birth Control: “My 19 year old daughter took this medication for 1 month and it was the worst month of her life. She experienced severe migraine headaches that were totally debilitating. The left side of her mouth, face, and arm would go numb and her chest would tighten up. We will be calling her doctor and switching to something else.”

AbN · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 15, 2018

Zovia 1/50E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I LOVED Zovia 1/50. It was the ONLY pill I found I could take that didn't make me hormonally insane. I had zero to little mood swings, I used it to skip my period every month with no spotting, and it didn't affect my skin one bit. My only small complaint was it made me very hungry, but I could eat healthy snacks and be fine. HOWEVER they have discontinued the Zovia and KELNOR 1/50 is literally what NIGHTMARES are made of. (Kelnor is also MORE expensive for me?!) It makes me cry over Facebook videos, I cry randomly sitting at my desk at work. I'm telling you. It's awful and nothing like Zovia. I've been spotting pretty much continuously since I was forced to switch to the Kelnor, also. I would just recommend looking for a different bc all together at this point.”

August2004 October 10, 2016

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I do not recommend this birth control if you are prone to depression or anxiety, it's absolutely terrible. I was prescribed it to stop my heavy bleeding and painful cramps during my period. It has done nothing to lighten the flow, the cramps are just as bad, if not worse, and I've had complete anxiety, despite my treatment and medication for it. Please be cautious. I wish I'd never taken it.”

HealthyandHappy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2019

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I'm so thankful for Zovia! I’ve had awful experiences w/past bc pills (lutera, avian, & yaz) & prefer to take the natural route for health & been very anti pill for a long time. While off the pill, I have struggled w/PMDD that kept getting longer & cramps that caused me to miss work. I had insomnia, irritability, crazy itching on stomach & legs, depression, crying spells, fatigue, muscle pain, flare ups in digestive & reproductive pain & zero sex drive. I was a mess & tried every natural treatment in the book for years w/no luck & in fact was getting worse. I had no quality of life & agreed to take Zovia. Since starting I sleep like a baby, the itching has stopped, I’m calmer, happier, more “sane” & at peace with life. My sex drive is back better than ever & I feel healthy again! cramps are really light. I can function again! The only side effects I’ve had is midcycle spotting & water retention, but having my life back makes those symptoms seem like nothing compared to before.”

Alex · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2019

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on Zovia for almost a year now and love it. My periods only last 2-3 days and after day one are so light I hardly bleed. However for my first month of taking it I had horrible pregnancy like symptoms I had morning sickness and a super strong aversion to cooking meat. After that first month though I acclimated and have had no issues since.”

GI JO · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 19, 2018

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I started taking Zovia back in 2011, because I was getting 2 periods in one month after getting back from deployment, but I've taken it ever since with NO problems at all. I actually skip my periods each month and still have no issue. I think since I've started taking the pill, I probably average one period a year, due to forgetting to take the pill in the mornings. I started this pill in my 20's and now I'm in my 30's and no changes, other than if I accidentally miss a day, my period will start faster than it did years before. Now it takes a day and a half to start after missing one pill, and it used to start after 2 days in my 20's. But not a big deal. Every one is different and you don't have to take it from me, but it worked for me, give it a shot and change it up if you feel differences right away. It can be scary, I know I was when I first started, but it worked out for the best.”

Girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 7, 2019

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I’ve been on this medication for 5 years now and have honestly never had any issues. For the first few years I’d take them and then take the placebos and get my period and it made it so much more bearable, but recently in the last year I’ve decided to just skip the placebo pills completely in general. Never have had any spotting it’s really amazing.”

gymgrrl · Taken for 10 years or more August 2, 2012

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I would recommend this to anyone. I started using Zovia 1/35 in college 20 years ago for heavy periods and this fixed it! They were light, predictable, and only lasted 3 or 4 days, so great. I had virtually no side effects, just the breasts went from a B to a C. I'm now 43 years old and my body is changing so this prescription is not working as well for me, I may need to switch, but it's just due to age at this point.”

Anonymous February 28, 2010

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I've been on Zovia for 5 years, and haven't noticed ANY side effects. No weight gain, in my breasts or elsewhere. Before birth control, I had a very light 4-5 day period, on Zovia, it's nearly non-existant, a pantyliner is all I need. I haven't needed a tampon in 5 years. I take Zovia almost religiously on-time everyday, and 5 years and counting, no pregnancies! Other birth controls that I tried really messed with my emotions and I spent a lot of time crying for no reason, so I'm very, very happy with Zovia for not messing up my hormones to the extent that I experience mood swings.”

Infertile but in Pain June 13, 2013

Demulen (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Endometriosis: “I have been on Demulen for two years now and take it daily, without monthly breaks, for the management of severe endometriosis symptoms. I tried many different birth control pills before Demulen, but it has been the most effective in preventing the debilitating pain I suffer. If I am a few hours late with a pill, I will begin to experience some cramping, but I am fine so long as I take it properly. I have experienced no major side effects; no weight gain, no increased sensitivity to the sun, nothing. I would recommend it for the management of endometriosis.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 16, 2012

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I have been on Zovia for 4 months. I quickly gained 10 pounds, even though I workout 4 to 5 times a week and watch what I eat. I have gone from a B cup to a C cup, and I have developed horrible mood swings. I also experience bad acne about 4 days before and after my period.”

Kelsey1124 August 21, 2013

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “Zovia cleared my acne and helped regulate my period with no pregnancies. However, it caused huge mood swings around my period. I was very irritable and sometimes depressed. Also if I didn't take the pill at the exact same time (or within an hour) I spotted. ”

Anonymous October 12, 2011

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I started taking Zovia about 5 months ago and I could immediately tell the difference after the 1st month. I started gaining weight, my breasts got even bigger than they already were and they were constantly tender, my periods went from 3-4 days to 7-9 days with horrible cramps, my face became very oily and I started breaking out. I have never had a lot of acne or breakouts but after starting this birth control, it got bad. I have been an emotional wreck and cry all of the time and I'm normally not like that. I think I had every bad side effect a birth control can have so needless to say, my OB has called in a different birth control! Hopefully if you decide to use this birth control, you don't have any of the side effects like I have.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 30, 2013

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I'm 18 and I've been on Zovia for about a year. No weight gain, acne completely cleared up, and never gotten pregnant even if I did miss a couple! However, very bad PMS and irritability. My boyfriend of 2 years finds it very frustrating around the time of my period because I turn moody. Love it though.”

C C January 17, 2013

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I have been on it for 2 months & have not gotten my period at all! And no I'm not pregnant! It may be good but I do get the slight panic each month. As of now, I don't think I've had any other side effects. Also, it is very cheap!”

needsahug · Taken for 10 years or more June 26, 2012

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I've been on Zovia almost 10 years now. Its cheap and worked for the reason I was taking it which was to prevent pregnancy. I can't say whether it made me gain weight because I figure after ten years its bound to normalize. I can say I get pretty bad PMS but I'm not sure this pill was ever advertised to treat PMS symptoms. I experienced depression, bloat, irritability, anxiety and lethargy the week before every period. I attribute some to my family history of anxiety and depression though, and it was never something I brought up with my Doctor. Never thought there was any reason to change it until now. Recently I did find a side effect to be too much to bear; low libido. I don't even want a man to look at me let alone touch me it's so terrible.”

sarahkay · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2012

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I have been on this pill for 3.5 years and it is my FAVORITE THING EVER. My periods are extremely light, I almost never have cramps or mood swings, and the only weight gain I experienced was welcome and came in the form of a cup size. I haven't had any problems during that time of the month or otherwise and overall, I think this is just a very nice, happy pill. I always use condoms because I'm paranoid but I'm scare-free also!”

sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2018

Kelnor 1/35 (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “Horrible spotting, making me so irritable. This OC is ruining my usually great relationship. Look up how androgens in birth control influence your mood and skin. I usually have great skin usually and it's breaking me out. Please avoid if you have problems with mental health. Only upside is no migraines, which many pills make worse for me.”

Birthcontrolbabe · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 18, 2019

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “This was my second pill that I was put on, and for the two years of taking it, I’ve felt my mental state completely switch. I’m now so insecure and anxious all of the time, and the PMS I experience is insane. I have to cry multiple times on my period and before because I get overwhelmed and feel literal pain like a buildup if I don’t. The PMS cramping is ridiculous, and it hasn’t done anything for my acne except for make it worse. It helped to regulate my period, but I also sometimes would start on Mondays and other times I’d start on Tuesdays. Also I would bleed like insane amounts of blood one day and the next I won’t even need a tampon.”

Maria O. March 26, 2015

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I've been on this birth control going on 8 years. Never any weight gain or physical issues, but the occasional mood swings and PMS. Cant say if Ive had an increase in appetite. But totally worth it. Haven't gotten pregnant!”

Anonymous February 10, 2011

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I have been on Yasmin for a long time but began having break through periods after my third child. My doctor switched me to Zovia and within 3 weeks I gained inches on my hips and thighs. I work out twice a week and watch what I eat so this was concerning. I also developed a LOT of acne on my face. Big red sores that were painful. I have since switched back to Yasmin and my side effects have reversed. Thankfully. It may have been due to the increase in the amount of estrogen from the Zovia.”

Anonymous December 5, 2012

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I recently switched to Zovia from Ortho Tricyclen. It's definitely doing what it's supposed to. The side effects that I've experienced since switching is slight weight gain (even though I'm active), B to C cup and some tenderness, nausea, and mood swings (and my boyfriend agrees with me -- this is the WORST side effect). What I do like about the Zovia is that it cleared my face up and made my periods EXTREMELY light and short. I think I like the Ortho Tricyclen better but only because I didn't have any side effects with it.”

Bonita G July 23, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I took Zovia the pink packet manufactured by Watson for 7 years with no problems. No changes in weight, no acne, and less painful and shorter periods. In early 2017 the manufacturer changed to Mayne the blue packet. I only took it for 5 days then immediately stopped because it was causing acne. Now I am on Kelnor, which has the same main ingredients as Zovia, however Zovia (pink packet) is better in my case. Too bad it is no longer being manufactured.....”

Anonymous September 27, 2011

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “The good aspects of this pill for me were no weight gain, no loss of sex drive, and my breasts got a bit bigger. However, I could not continue into my 4th month on Zovia because I had such intense mood swings that I drove everyone around me crazy. I had to switch to a different pill because I was on a constant emotional roller coaster. Crying, being angry, feeling depressed, hopeless and paranoid that my boyfriend was cheating on me. I felt like I was losing my mind, and my boyfriend and I almost broke up over it. I became a completely different person, and it only became worse as I was on the pill for longer. Hoping another pill will work better!”

Mscunn01 December 12, 2015

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “I had to quit this medication because it made me agitated and very paranoid. I was to the point that I was going to quit my job and was convinced that my family was turning on me. I stopped and within 1.5 months everything resolved. I am now on Ocella and it works great.”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2018

Zovia 1/35E (ethinyl estradiol / ethynodiol) for Birth Control: “Okay so I started this pill two months ago and I’m currently going on my third month. I have yet to stop bleeding and I developed acne when I didn’t have any before. My cramps also have gotten worse. I also have terrible back pain worse than ever before. I also have moods of irritability where I’ll snap at people if they are doing something even remotely annoying. I wouldn’t recommend this pill at all.”