User Reviews for Promacta

Promacta has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings on Drugs.com. 44% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 33% reported a negative experience.

Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
5.8
Aplastic Anemia
7.3
Thrombocytopenia
Summary of Promacta reviews 6.2 11 reviews

Reviews for Promacta

Rushbuzz · September 19, 2011

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “My platelet count was dangerously low. After taking 50mg Promacta daily, my count was 275 after one month. I have not had any side effects whatsoever. However, I am curious as to why dairy is prohibited for four hours before and after taking medication. The only other negative is the cost. Thank God for insurance help.”

Pr · Taken for less than 1 month · July 16, 2019

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “I have lupus and ITP, my platelets are at the range of 0-10 k Promacta was the only drug that raised the platelets to 100k Then after one month I had renal failure and lesions in my brain. It didn’t work for lupus I guess. :(”

Moi · Taken for 10 years or more · May 13, 2021

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “Bloating of stomach, serious thinning and hair loss, blur vision with dry eyes and dry mouth. The co-pay got too expensive and told doctor I need to switch to another medication for my low platelets.”

AplasticAnemiaMom · May 8, 2019

For Aplastic Anemia: “Promacta and Eltrombopag are the same drug. One name is the scientific name Eltrombopag and the retail (brand) name is Promacta. There is no difference in the two names they are the same medicine. Our son did very well with ATG Horse, Cyclosporine and Promacta (Eltrombopag). Four years in he has not received a bone marrow transplant and has only received three blood transfusions ever. He lives a pretty normal life but does monitor his labs often and is still on meds. He did have a slow relapse and we found that him going back on high dose cyclosporine twice a day and taking the Promacta (Eltrombopag) helped his labs go back up again (near normal) again avoiding a BMT. If insurance doesn't pay for it have your doctor advocate first and if still no, call Novartis or visit their website as they have options to send this very expensive medicine to you for free.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · December 17, 2021

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “Been taking Promacta since the start of January 2021. Started out with 50mg which raised my platelet count from 11,000ppm to 409,000ppm. After finding the right dosage the doctors have me taking 25mg every other day. Last platelet count was 105,000ppm on December 6th 2021. I am being treated by the VA”

no nickname · December 27, 2017

For Aplastic Anemia: “I have been taking Promacta for two months for Aplastic Anemia and have seen no increase in my hemoglobin count. I have had no significant side effects, but do not think the drug is effective in my case, too bad it's probably chemo for me. The drug is easy to take if you can find the proper time. I take it around 4 am when I first wake up then try to get some more sleep. Hope it works for you.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years · May 28, 2022

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “My last entry dated December 17th 2021 I am no longer taking promacta due to it is no longer working for me. I was admitted to the VA hospital in Puerto Rico 17 March 2022 with a platelet count of 2000ppm. I was released with on 23 March with a platelet count of 100000ppm. My Promacta was changed from 25mg every other day to 50mg everyday. The following day I had a lab appointment for my primary care doctor. That evening my doctor called telling me to return to the hospital because my platelets had dropped to 20000ppm. When I arrived back at the ER, more blood was draw and the results was my platelets had dropped to 6000ppm. I am currently still in the hospital with a platelet count of 49000ppm. Other treatments that work before have also failed me or with slow results. It work for a while, just no longer.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years · May 19, 2022

For Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura: “Update for -December 17, 2021- On January 18, 2022 My platelet count was 158000ppm. But on May 17 2022 I check into the VA hospital ER because I saw blood in my spit and blood on toilet paper after wiping. I know minor but at VA ER in Puerto Rico they took blood samples and a covid test. After a while they came back with the results. Covid test was negative that the good news. Plate count not so good - 2000ppm - I'll be for a 5 days. They gave platelets and got my level to 69000ppm. Plus raised my Promacta from 25mg (which I was taking every other day) to 50mg. Which will be adjust if needed. For now I will not change my rating until I see what happen with the new dose. So I will be adding results at a later date”

I take 50MG once a day at night · Taken for 2 to 5 years · February 8, 2013

For Thrombocytopenia: “I have been on eltrombpag for two years. I have had no side effects but my platelet count says about 20 to 30,000. I get treatment through the VA.”

TheMeerkat · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 10, 2017

For Aplastic Anemia: “It didn’t cause any side effects, and, more important, I’m not dead. That’s pretty good.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · August 2, 2020

For Thrombocytopenia: “I have the same side effects from Promacta as the first reviewer: Lesions in the brain, double vision, and dizziness that I lose my balance.”