Can Promacta tablets be cut in half?
Medically reviewed by N. France, BPharm. Last updated on Nov 13, 2020.
Promacta (eltrombopag olamine) comes in the form of a film-coated tablet and an oral suspension.
Promacta film-coated tablets should be swallowed whole according to the prescribing information. They should not be split, chewed or crushed and mixed with foods or liquids. It is recommended that you do not cut Promacta tablets in half.
Promacta should be taken without a meal or with a meal low in calcium (50mg or less). It should also be taken at least two hours before or four hours after eating foods rich in calcium including fortified juices, dairy products, and certain fruits and vegetables.
Promacta tablets are round and come in the following strengths:
- 12.5 mg white tablet
- 25 mg orange tablet
- 50 mg blue tablet
- 75 mg pink tablet
Promacta is used to treat people with low blood platelet counts (thrombocytopenia) due to chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) or chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) virus infection. It is also used in the treatment of severe aplastic anemia.
Food and Drug Administration. Promacta. Prescribing Information. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/022291s027,207027s010lbl.pdf. [Accessed November 13, 2020].
Related Medical Questions
- Does Medicare cover Promacta?
- How long does it take for Promacta (eltrombopag olamine) to work?
- What is Doptelet used for and how does it work?
- Mulpleta vs Doptelet - What's the difference?
- How do you take Doptelet before a medical or dental procedure?
- Promacta Information for Consumers
- Promacta Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Promacta (detailed)