User Reviews for Oracea

Learn more about Oracea.

Oracea Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 90 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Oracea to treat Rosacea

"Hi All - I have been taking Oracea for about a week now and have actually found my rosacea to worsen. I am considering stopping the treatment but wondering if anyone who likes the drug has had the experience of it getting worse before it gets better. Feeling very self-conscious and frustrated. Thank you."

Rosacea getting worse (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried low dose doxycycline and Periostat to treat ocular rosacea but both cause me to have a severe headache which does not go away. Only Oracea, unfortunately, with time-release doxycycline, keeps the dosage constant enough to avoid headaches. However, I no longer have pain and a feeling of "grittiness" in my eyes. Insurance covers some of cost (generic)"

Starrella (taken for 10 years or more) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Simply put, it works. I had taken tetracyclene previously for years, along with Metrogel, with limited results. As soon as I started with Oracea (prescribed by dermatologist) my rosacea symptoms disappeared. The downside of course is the cost. I have an HSA so it's all out of pocket until my deductible is met; but I pay because it's worth it. I've also found the generic is only slightly less expensive but the good there is it works just the same as Oracea there have been no differences in effectiveness. On a somewhat different note, I went in for an eye exam and my opthmologist told me Oracea was a ripoff and a marketing gimmick and all I had to do was take a low dose of doxy twice a day with the same effect for a fraction of the cost."

Danno99 April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is the best thing that ever happened to me....it has done wonders for my Rosacea!!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 16 years old and my acne has been a problem for a little over 6 months. I was previously on Acticlate for about 2 months which did not help my skin much and had terrible side effects like vomitting. My dermatologist switched me to Oracea 40 mg and I was hopeful. The first week on it, my skin became so much worse and I wanted to get off of it. However, after that first week, my skin began to clear up and now only has a few red spots. This medication works great, you just have to push through the first week and remember that things get worse before they get better. I also love Oracea because it has no side effects on me which is great."

Alexis O June 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Oracea worked perfectly for clearing up my rosacea. I used it for 4 years. Now Obamacare has screwed everything up so bad, insurance companies do not cover it anymore. I can't afford it. rosacea is back. Guess I am just going to have to be ugly because nothing else seems to work."

Gbert June 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Once a day dosing, works better that generic."

Chrisy2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Too soon for me to tell if this is working, but for you concerned about cost it is now generic and costs me $10 a month."

Sarah c December 5, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helps with the burning and Bump flare ups. When used all the time completely makes me symptom free"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Good, no side effects, other then depression. Finally found a way to control acne. Once the doctors coupon ended so did my prescription and the depressed feeling of a drug company playing, got you hooked now pay up, began. College student that can not afford hundreds of dollars a month to stay on it. College insurance and family insurance does not cover doctors recommended treatment drug."

College dude November 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first day I used Oracea I had a friend ask what I had done differently. She added, your face is not red. It works well for me! The only issue I have is the medicine does not clear up blemishes as well as Minocycline."

First day had someone comment. (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking for acne. It helped a lot the first three weeks but the second I had my period it's like I might as well not even be taking the oracea because I see little to no difference. I get diarrhea and upset stomach in addition to taking this medication. For me, I'll probably need to take a stronger medicine."

Jamie Elizabeth July 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to have terrible acne on my skin, and so I went to my dermatologist and he prescribed this. I used it for about half a year, and my acne was starting to clear up. Although, I recommend wearing lots of sunscreen during the summer, because you will get facial sunburns. But oddly enough, while using Oracea, I started to experience moderate heart palpitations and panic attacks and anxiety, and so I stopped using Oracea immediately. I am not sure that I recommend this to everyone."

Flora E April 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wow. I've had mild rosacea for years and had heard about this medication but was unable to take it because I was pregnant then nursing. I saw results in just over a week. I don't even need to use the Metrogel anymore. I take it at night with a glass of water and have never had any side effects. I definitely recommend this. Luckily my copay is only $25 month. I was told to be careful with sun exposure while taking this but it's winter so I'm hoping this isn't a problem in summer."

charlievirginia December 9, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I recently found an amazing dermatologist who is very vigilant about tailoring treatments specific to my skin and my medical history and prescribed me Oracea, after several unsuccessful treatments from other derms (incl. completely altering my skincare regimen, switching from my pricey La Mer face wash/moisturizers to all Cerave products and SPF 35 sunscreen). I've been on Oracea for 4 weeks and unlike the other reviewers here, I haven't seen any improvements yet :( I'm not sure if my redness is caused by another underlying condition at this point b/c we've tried most topical treatments (Finacea, Mirvaso, Metrogel) and they only make the redness worse! Anyone else see improvements only after > 4 weeks of treatment?"

P-Pharma (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had what they said was blepharitis all of my life. It started spreading under a lower eyelid so I went to a dermatologist (after spending hundreds at an opthamologist and him putting me on several antibiotics and eyedrops). She put me on Oracea and it made it so much better; even the bloodshot, scratchy eyes. The only drawback is that it has given me severe heartburn, which I've never had before. "

red eyes & blepharitis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication combined with Finacea cream saved my skin! I was having terrible localized breakouts that would leave bad scars. Once I started religiously using Oracea and Finacea (to help with redness) my skin looks amazing, I rarely need to wear makeup now. Only downside is it makes my lips sensitive. The tend to look swollen- which is not such a bad thing. I would recommend this to anyone dealing with Rosacea."

TinnerW March 2, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"LOVE LOVE LOVE Oracea! 2 weeks and I already notice a great improvement in my eyes. I have mild rosacea on my face (red nose sometimes) but it was the ocular rosacea that prompted me to seek help. I thought my eyes were just red from my contacts but my ophthalmologist said it was ocular rosacea. I was devastated- I do not want to lose my vision! So far, so good- my eyes feel 100% better, my stress level is down & I'm starting to feel "normal" again! I guess I'm lucky because I haven't experienced any of the side effects (yet). Hopefully it'll stay that way. Oracea is my new best friend."

Nita1214 November 23, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Saw an improvement shortly after I started taking Oracea. Skin was smoother and nose area was not as bumpy and less skin flareups caused lots of upset stomach. Several times tool this medicine with water and maybe 40 minutes later would throw up. Also medicine is very expensive."

TomMinnesota (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I saw great results but unfortunately had to stop because the medication went from $300 to $480 and my insurance would not cover it, and that was also using discount card."

2cute March 13, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Oracea works wonderfully for my rosacea. I'm willing to accept my moderate digestive issues that seem to be associated with it. Oracea is extremely expensive. "

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Since I have used this medication so long, years and years, I believe it has improved my rosacea. I'm not willing to stop taking Oracea to find out. As far as the stomach ache associated with this pill, I found that taking it at night prevents the stomach upset symptoms. One review mentioned burning on the lips and tongue, I have experienced this side effect very very much, however, I didn't realize this pill may be the reason. Again, if this pills causes the lips, mouth area and tongue to have a burning sensation I'm not sure I would stop taking the Oracea, although that is one terrible side effect. Overall, I will continue taking Oracea."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 18, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor gave me a coupon card that keeps the prescription at $25.00 with my insurance. I have been taking Oracea for two years for my Rosacea. It works great! The only problem now is that after all this time of using Oracea, I have developed a constant stomach ache. This is one of the side effects and I am really bummed out about it. I have had not stopped using Oracea. Not sure what is the alternative will be."

Anonymous March 6, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used the $25.00 "Care Card" for the allowed 2 months. My face cleared up completely, with no side effects. I was told my 3rd refill would cost $440.00 per month, so I had to stop taking it. "

Anonymous October 22, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Oracea about a three and a half weeks ago for Rosacea. I saw my dermatologist for what I thought was a stubborn case of acne. I am 54 and was breaking out like crazy, with no improvement using over the counter acne medicine. My skin is greatly improved. However, the result I am most excited about, is the great improvement I am experiencing with fibromyalgia. I have had pain from bursitis in my right him for over a year, I have had cortisone shots and PT with no relief. After taking Oracea for about two weeks, I noticed remarkable improvement in my hip pain. I am also feeling more energetic and more alert than I have in a long time. I will be seeing my rheumatologist in September and will be asking her opinion."

Anonymous August 11, 2011