User Reviews for Codeine / promethazine

Learn more about Codeine/promethazine.

Codeine/promethazine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 683 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Codeine/promethazine to treat Cough

"Lifesaver. Finally able to sleep."

Carolinavilla179 March 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took it when I was 4 or 5, I don't remember, but when I got it my doctor told me and my mom, that they if I am allergic to it, then my parents will notice in in the next 5 to 7 days, on the 7th day, I broke out into hives, I was turning blue, I was sweating a lot, and my mom, had to rush me to the hospital because I had an critical allergic reaction, so I can't take it anymore, and I'm happy I don't take it anymore."

Queen Terra March 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got sick with a basic cold that left me with lingering congestion and a cough that would not go away. Having constant coughing attacks to the point of vomiting was not only happening at night but during the day. I was extremely exhausted and feared this cough would last for weeks. Was prescribed this drug and it worked wonders within minutes of taking it! By the next day I was coughing minimally and by that night I had not one coughing attack! I think the fact I was able to rest helped me get better at a quicker rate."

Naomia (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have bronchitis and it isn't really helping at all with my cough."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed the Promethazine Codeine Syrup for a severe case of bronchitis. I have the most horrific cough. My doctor told me to take it at night right before bed, and it would work like a charm. But after I lay down I start having a coughing fit. Tonight was the 5th time I took this medicine and I decided to test my theory and take it a little before turning in for the night and see what happens. I had such bad coughing fit I couldn't stop to the point I was gagging, and couldn't stop gagging. I could not get the urge to cough to stop which started to freak me out. Something is definitely not agreeing with me. That was a waste of $56."

Coughing up fur balls (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very bad cough, congestion, sneezing with flu symptoms. After the 1st dose, the coughing had almost subsided and made me drowsy enough to get some much needed rest since not sleeping in about 48 hours. It felt warm in my throat and chest which took away that "burning" feeling. I only used 3 days before cough was barely noticeable."

Supdyke (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Nothing else helps to survive my yearly Bronchitis!"

SusiUT January 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"calmed my cough overnight......... but left me quite lethargic..... groggy the next day :-(("

konichiwa50 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"One Medication that gives true relief, just have to know it will not fix your issue only help with symptom relief, but greatly so!"

McFly22222 November 9, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had a heinous cough for a week now... where i have uncontrollable fits of coughing where I can not stop. My chemist told me that 30mg of codeine usually stops a cough dead in its tracks. This is because it affects the part of the brain that makes you want to cough. It works great to stop coughing so I can rest, but please remember CODEINE DOES NOT TREAT THE CAUSE OF THE COUGH. He thinks I may have a chest infection so I will still need to go to the doctors on Monday and treat the infection as well."

miffyfax (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Great for cough and throat pain. Nothing else would work, I was literally sleeping sitting up before I filled this medication. Promethazine with codeine. I was able to eat and drink, sleep, and go back to work. Helped a lot."

C.D. (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Don't think it did much for the cough. Made me nauseated. Fell asleep for awhile and was kind of awake and was hearing voices than i had some creepy dreams. Probably the last time I try this..."

Nicole52019 (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have use this 4 different times over a period of 7 years when I had such a bad cough that I couldn't sleep for days. As a tip start out slow just enough to get some rest. My prescription says 5 to 10ml I take under 5 ml twice a night once it wears off normally at 1am and it works great. I normally only need to take this two nights in a row and my cough is pretty much gone. So I avoid any dependency issues. I don't advice taking it during the day unless your home all day and you don't need to leave. It'll make you very sleepy."

Jw134223644 October 5, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works great for bronchitis"

Anonymous052316 September 14, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine is a life saver when you have a bad chronic cough, the only medicine that helps me deal with the cough and finally able to sleep and not cough up my lungs all night long"

Iwasborn4God (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine worked on my cough but gave me such a bad sunburn even with protection on that I will not use it. Be careful and take the warning labels seriously."

msmollygp (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's amazing how this drug works on the brain to stop cough. It's the only thing that works for me when I get a chronic cough."

JoeNu August 21, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Yes it is very effective but has serious side effects like abnormal, fast heart beating and vomiting if its uses against cough regularly or overdose. It must be used very few as possible. It is extremely dangerous to use this with doctor control."

de dre (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I swear this is a placebo, did nothing for the pain in my back, chest, and throat, and barely anything for cough. Very disappointing..."

sickandfedup (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It is ineffectual. My muscles ache from the wretched coughing. It is functionally a placebo."

Mensa174 March 15, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dampened my cough as soon as it was consumed and soon after completely got rid of the cough."

Detour180 March 12, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Couldn't sleep due to horrid cough and respiratory infection. Doctor prescribed Z PAC and this cough syrup. About 1/2 after taking it cough stopped for the first time. It did not put me to sleep. But it did help the cough."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"5 days no sleep due to horrible cough. I was very excited to try this. It seems to have made my cough worse or at least didn't help at all. Got extremely drowsy, so fought a hacking cough while fighting to stay awake. Miserable night!"

Hinst February 17, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The only thing that diminished an unbearable and painful cough"

Mldf (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only thing will stop my cough. I have upper respiratory infection and can't stop coughing."

Lee57 October 16, 2015