User Reviews for Codeine/promethazine to treat Cough

Codeine/promethazine has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 53 ratings for the treatment of Cough. 66% of those users who reviewed Codeine/promethazine reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Codeine/promethazine Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 416 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Codeine/promethazine

Anonymous March 25, 2020

“I like this codeine syrup because I have lot of coughing especially night time. The doctor gave me this cough syrup and it works so fast. I know I sleep well which means I recover faster ”

Rambo · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2020

“Once again a product is removed from the shelf because of the high potential of abuse. So now the many who didn't abuse it and could benefit from it can't have it. This is illogical but the norm.”

Gillian · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2020

“I've had a cough for about a week. I often get bronchitis after I get a cold because I have asthma. My doctor told me I had an upper respiratory infection and that I should take this medicine before bed because it would make me sleepy and it would help me sleep through the night. Since I was supposed to take two 5 ml doses before bed time, I took the first around dinner time with the plan to take the second right before bed. Pretty soon after I took it, I started coughing worse, only with less coming up. For the past several hours I have had the torturous, non-stop urge to cough, but when I try to cough it doesn't offer any relief. I feel like I can't breathe, way worse than if I just took nothing. I'm even worried that I'll stop breathing when I go to sleep. This stuff is not for me.”

JND 2014 September 16, 2014

“I had upper respiratory infection along with a runny nose and a throat infection. This medicine does its miracles. For 2 nights I wasn't able to sleep and I tried over the counter meds however nothing made it better. After I saw my doctor he prescribed me this syrup along with amoxicilin and wow I must say I slept amazingly great and woke up feeling much better. I only took the syrup at night since its not recommended to drive or to use at work. I don't abuse of it, I only took 1 tsp at night with some Sprite for 3 days and my cough got better day by day. This medicine will put you to sleep and it will stop the urge of coughing. Only use at home before bed.”

Breathing Freely December 29, 2011

“Have had a cold for a little over a week now. Yes, I had it during Christmas, and I'll still have it for New Year's Eve. For 3 or 4 nights in a row, I couldn't sleep, due to a tickling in my throat when I would lie down at night. I would cough violently, attempting to stop the tickle. I was so exhausted by the time I went to the doctor for help. I'd tried everything over-the-counter with dextromethorphan HBr (Mucinex Fast-MAX) and pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) but nothing was touching it. Thanks to one tiny teaspoon of this prescription elixir, I've just enjoyed 10 hours of solid (uninterrupted) sleep! Hallelujah! I didn't wake up even once to cough! I'm so glad there's still something out there that works!”

Anonymous February 26, 2008

“I came down with a cough that would not quit this winter. The doctor thought it might be seasonal allergies in conjunction with other issues. He gave me promethazine with codeine and it worked great. I was able to sleep through teh night (finally!!) and the cough finally went away. it was not a cure but at least it helped me sleep!”

Ray~ April 22, 2008

“I have had a horrible cold and cough on and off for a couple of months and the doctor tried every cough medication in the book that you could possibly name. Finally he tried me with this promethazine and codeine syrup and I could not believe how much better I felt. I would recommend to anyone with a severe cough and cold.”

MissX92 · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

“The best!! I went to urgent care with a nasty cough that had been persistent for 10 days+. The doctor who saw me said it was bronchitis. Ugh! He prescribed me this, I took it when I got home and my cough started to improve. I could actually sleep! Thank god for this medication!”

pinkipod March 3, 2014

“Had a very bad cough/cold/flu for almost three weeks; nothing over the counter helped; finally prescribed this cough medication and yes, I actually slept all night and didn't cough at all until it started to wear off but it is very sedating.”

Anonymous August 1, 2008

“I usually only use the codeine syrup when I experience a dry, unproductive cough and even then I try to only take it in the evening so that I might be able to sleep better. I have frequent lung infections and unfortunately this often develops into dry coughing spasms.”

Sam from El Paso, Texas · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2012

“The combination of antihistamine benefits along with the codeine to calm the coughing is a necessary combination to help the healing process. Recommend only in uncontrollable coughing spells this combination.”

syruplover December 22, 2010

“Suppresses cough significantly and definitely helps when it comes to upper respiratory congestion. Only downsides include extreme itchiness and sensitivity to light in the average normally healthy adult.”

Anonymous May 8, 2011

“I have been coughing for almost 2 weeks unable to sleep at night because of the cough. Doctor says it is bronchitis along with a cold. I got this cough medicine and I was able to sleep AND I felt much better if for no other reason than the sleep, but the cough is much better too!”

Coughing up fur balls · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2017

“I was prescribed the Promethazine Codeine Syrup for a severe case of bronchitis. I have the most horrific cough. My doctor told me to take it at night right before bed, and it would work like a charm. But after I lay down I start having a coughing fit. Tonight was the 5th time I took this medicine and I decided to test my theory and take it a little before turning in for the night and see what happens. I had such bad coughing fit I couldn't stop to the point I was gagging, and couldn't stop gagging. I could not get the urge to cough to stop which started to freak me out. Something is definitely not agreeing with me. That was a waste of $56.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2016

“Couldn't sleep due to horrid cough and respiratory infection. Doctor prescribed Z PAC and this cough syrup. About 1/2 after taking it cough stopped for the first time. It did not put me to sleep. But it did help the cough.”

Naomia · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2017

“I got sick with a basic cold that left me with lingering congestion and a cough that would not go away. Having constant coughing attacks to the point of vomiting was not only happening at night but during the day. I was extremely exhausted and feared this cough would last for weeks. Was prescribed this drug and it worked wonders within minutes of taking it! By the next day I was coughing minimally and by that night I had not one coughing attack! I think the fact I was able to rest helped me get better at a quicker rate.”

Hinst February 17, 2016

“5 days no sleep due to horrible cough. I was very excited to try this. It seems to have made my cough worse or at least didn't help at all. Got extremely drowsy, so fought a hacking cough while fighting to stay awake. Miserable night!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2014

“Have been taking this medication for 2 days for cough associated with upper respiratory infection. It does make me sleepy but does not alleviate my cough. Unfortunately, still up 2-3 times during the night violently coughing.”

Anonymous July 27, 2015

“Helped a lot with my cough, did make me quite drowsy during daytime hours so beware. After taking for several days as prescribed coming off of it has made me quite dizzy and generally not feeling great, might be a part of the controlled element of it. For me, definitely worth the other stuff, really good for calming my cough.”

C.D. · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2016

“Great for cough and throat pain. Nothing else would work, I was literally sleeping sitting up before I filled this medication. Promethazine with codeine. I was able to eat and drink, sleep, and go back to work. Helped a lot.”

Joey · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2018

“I was tortured with a cough that ripped my throat up with pain and a cough that would not quit!! Was prescribed the cough medicine promethazine/codeine and immediately I felt relief, it coated my throat and made my throat and chest feel warm and soothed. I was able to sleep comfortably and almost immediately stopped coughing! I would recommend the cough medicine to any responsible adult who truly wants relief and really is sick with painful and uncontrollable coughing fits.”

Jw134223644 October 5, 2016

“I have use this 4 different times over a period of 7 years when I had such a bad cough that I couldn't sleep for days. As a tip start out slow just enough to get some rest. My prescription says 5 to 10ml I take under 5 ml twice a night once it wears off normally at 1am and it works great. I normally only need to take this two nights in a row and my cough is pretty much gone. So I avoid any dependency issues. I don't advice taking it during the day unless your home all day and you don't need to leave. It'll make you very sleepy.”

Supdyke · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2017

“Very bad cough, congestion, sneezing with flu symptoms. After the 1st dose, the coughing had almost subsided and made me drowsy enough to get some much needed rest since not sleeping in about 48 hours. It felt warm in my throat and chest which took away that "burning" feeling. I only used 3 days before cough was barely noticeable.”

malibru · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2017

“Was proscribed this by my doctor to treat a bad cough due to an upper respiratory infection. It only made the coughing worse. Didn't make any sense to me. I was coughing mildly before I took the medicine, then 20 minutes after taking it, I started to cough up a lung. Will NEVER take this stuff again for a cough. Threw the entire bottle out.”

Tatianaax3 February 9, 2018

“After being prescribed, I did some extensive research because the paranoid person that I am, I always research medicines I'm prescribed prior to consuming them. I would've been better off listening to the negative reviews because that's exactly the kind of experience I had (Negative). I was advised it would make me drowsy so I had to take it before bed to help me sleep through the night due to a horrendous cough I've had for about 4-5 days. About 20 minutes in, taking 10 ML my coughing got WAYYY worse and I felt like I would vomit every time I coughed up a lung.. Yes it made me drowsy BUT did absolutely NOTHING for my cough aside from making it 10x worse”

miffyfax · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2016

“I have had a heinous cough for a week now... where i have uncontrollable fits of coughing where I can not stop. My chemist told me that 30mg of codeine usually stops a cough dead in its tracks. This is because it affects the part of the brain that makes you want to cough. It works great to stop coughing so I can rest, but please remember CODEINE DOES NOT TREAT THE CAUSE OF THE COUGH. He thinks I may have a chest infection so I will still need to go to the doctors on Monday and treat the infection as well.”

juliewannabebetter March 19, 2010

“I just got this prescribed to me this afternoon. I have been really sick for a week and not sleeping well. Turns out I had a sinus and double ear infection. I usually don't like anything with codeine because it makes me nauseous. But so far no nausea, not helping a whole lot with the coughing but I don't really care either.”

Dannyau January 15, 2018

“I had an upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) and could not sleep at night from the horrible coughing fits I was having. I was prescribed this by my doctor and it knocked it OUT. Cough is getting better and throat isn't itchy anymore.”

Learn more about Cough