User Reviews for Codeine / promethazine

Learn more about Codeine/promethazine.

Codeine/promethazine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 591 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Codeine/promethazine to treat Cough

"I get much better results from mucinex or a cough suppressant and decongestant at night. It's worth noting that some people are incapable of making enough of the enzyme CYP2D6 to break down the codeine for your body to use. I'm pretty sure I'm one of those people. I have acute bronchitis. What's helped is warm showers and breathing in the steam through my mouth. I've used mucinex, alkazeltzer severe cold and flu, and theraflu. They work when they feel like it. The alkazeltzer knocks me out for the night. Sleeping propped up next to a humidifier helps too."

Diamama October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was proscribed this by my doctor to treat a bad cough due to an upper respiratory infection. It only made the coughing worse. Didn't make any sense to me. I was coughing mildly before I took the medicine, then 20 minutes after taking it, I started to cough up a lung. Will NEVER take this stuff again for a cough. Threw the entire bottle out."

malibru (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had horrendous cough over the last 3 weeks due to bronchial infection. First doctor told me to take over the counter medications with an inhaler of abutriol. 2nd Doctor gave me codeine/promethazine and penicillin. I have taken both for the last three days - no help at all. My cough is still as strong as ever, don't have any issues with drowsiness but I am having a side effect of (severely) itch feet to the point of bright red and inflamed. I only take one teaspoon before bed. I took a chest xray - results due in tomorrow. Hoping to get something to help."

RobinB522 September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with Bronchitis and have a unbearable cough. This medicine has done nothing to stop me from coughing. How can anyone sleep, if they are coughing?????"

Uneffected May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lifesaver. Finally able to sleep."

Carolinavilla179 March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took it when I was 4 or 5, I don't remember, but when I got it my doctor told me and my mom, that they if I am allergic to it, then my parents will notice in in the next 5 to 7 days, on the 7th day, I broke out into hives, I was turning blue, I was sweating a lot, and my mom, had to rush me to the hospital because I had an critical allergic reaction, so I can't take it anymore, and I'm happy I don't take it anymore."

Queen Terra March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got sick with a basic cold that left me with lingering congestion and a cough that would not go away. Having constant coughing attacks to the point of vomiting was not only happening at night but during the day. I was extremely exhausted and feared this cough would last for weeks. Was prescribed this drug and it worked wonders within minutes of taking it! By the next day I was coughing minimally and by that night I had not one coughing attack! I think the fact I was able to rest helped me get better at a quicker rate."

Naomia (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have bronchitis and it isn't really helping at all with my cough."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed the Promethazine Codeine Syrup for a severe case of bronchitis. I have the most horrific cough. My doctor told me to take it at night right before bed, and it would work like a charm. But after I lay down I start having a coughing fit. Tonight was the 5th time I took this medicine and I decided to test my theory and take it a little before turning in for the night and see what happens. I had such bad coughing fit I couldn't stop to the point I was gagging, and couldn't stop gagging. I could not get the urge to cough to stop which started to freak me out. Something is definitely not agreeing with me. That was a waste of $56."

Coughing up fur balls (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very bad cough, congestion, sneezing with flu symptoms. After the 1st dose, the coughing had almost subsided and made me drowsy enough to get some much needed rest since not sleeping in about 48 hours. It felt warm in my throat and chest which took away that "burning" feeling. I only used 3 days before cough was barely noticeable."

Supdyke (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nothing else helps to survive my yearly Bronchitis!"

SusiUT January 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"calmed my cough overnight......... but left me quite lethargic..... groggy the next day :-(("

konichiwa50 (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"One Medication that gives true relief, just have to know it will not fix your issue only help with symptom relief, but greatly so!"

McFly22222 November 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had a heinous cough for a week now... where i have uncontrollable fits of coughing where I can not stop. My chemist told me that 30mg of codeine usually stops a cough dead in its tracks. This is because it affects the part of the brain that makes you want to cough. It works great to stop coughing so I can rest, but please remember CODEINE DOES NOT TREAT THE CAUSE OF THE COUGH. He thinks I may have a chest infection so I will still need to go to the doctors on Monday and treat the infection as well."

miffyfax (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great for cough and throat pain. Nothing else would work, I was literally sleeping sitting up before I filled this medication. Promethazine with codeine. I was able to eat and drink, sleep, and go back to work. Helped a lot."

C.D. (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Don't think it did much for the cough. Made me nauseated. Fell asleep for awhile and was kind of awake and was hearing voices than i had some creepy dreams. Probably the last time I try this..."

Nicole52019 (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have use this 4 different times over a period of 7 years when I had such a bad cough that I couldn't sleep for days. As a tip start out slow just enough to get some rest. My prescription says 5 to 10ml I take under 5 ml twice a night once it wears off normally at 1am and it works great. I normally only need to take this two nights in a row and my cough is pretty much gone. So I avoid any dependency issues. I don't advice taking it during the day unless your home all day and you don't need to leave. It'll make you very sleepy."

Jw134223644 October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works great for bronchitis"

Anonymous052316 September 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is a life saver when you have a bad chronic cough, the only medicine that helps me deal with the cough and finally able to sleep and not cough up my lungs all night long"

Iwasborn4God (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine worked on my cough but gave me such a bad sunburn even with protection on that I will not use it. Be careful and take the warning labels seriously."

msmollygp (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's amazing how this drug works on the brain to stop cough. It's the only thing that works for me when I get a chronic cough."

JoeNu August 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Yes it is very effective but has serious side effects like abnormal, fast heart beating and vomiting if its uses against cough regularly or overdose. It must be used very few as possible. It is extremely dangerous to use this with doctor control."

de dre (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I swear this is a placebo, did nothing for the pain in my back, chest, and throat, and barely anything for cough. Very disappointing..."

sickandfedup (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It is ineffectual. My muscles ache from the wretched coughing. It is functionally a placebo."

Mensa174 March 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dampened my cough as soon as it was consumed and soon after completely got rid of the cough."

Detour180 March 12, 2016